Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2000-2011 Chevrolet Malibu

Comments

• davemal99davemal99 Member Posts: 3
    I have a noisy dash in my 99 Malibu. It is not effected by temperature nor is it if having any effect on the a/c, stereo controls, etc. It is a creaking sound that sounds like it's coming from the center, maybe underneath, only while driving. Since I cannot locate the source, I am not sure exactly where it's coming from. It's making me crazy and for me, ruins, in my opinion, a decent car for the money. That's the only mystery problem I have with the car.
  • johnp21johnp21 Member Posts: 1
    It has come to my attention that 2000-2002 Malibu models are having troubles with pistons. Check the NHTSA web site, and from family experience, pistons are being replaced in these cars giving only temporary fixes. The first sign is engine rattling when starting cold. Teflon coated piston replacements are failing in short order.
    Hope this helps somebody from making a big mistake. John
  • bcmalibu99lsbcmalibu99ls Member Posts: 625
    The car is in its 5th Model Year, and they still couldn't produce a quality vehicle? Shame
  • sola2000sola2000 Member Posts: 6
    I recently purchased a new family sedan. Before purchasing the car, I did a lot of research and extensivley test drove many cars, both domestics and imports. I drove the Chevrolet Malibu and Impala, Dodge Stratus and Intrepid, Ford Taurus, Honda Accord, Mitsubishi Galant, Nissan Altima and Maxima, Pontiac Bonneville and Grand Prix, Saturn LS, Toyota Camry and the Volkswagen Passat.

After driving all those cars I would say, without question, the imports are far superior to the domestics. I remember driving the Chevy Mailbu and then going to the Toyota dealer, driving the Camry and being shocked at how much smoother, more refined and better designed and engineered it is than the Malibu or any of the domestics.

My favorite out of all cars I drove? It was the Passat. I thought it provided the best driving experience. There really is something to that German heritage. The car I actually bought? My second favorite. A 2002 V6 Honda Accord. Why? I keep my cars a long time and I just didn't trust VW's long term reliability. I know with a Honda or Toyota product one is virtually assured bullet proof quality and reliability for years and years, and hundreds of thousands of miles. In the final analysis that still can't be said for American or German cars.
  • malibuinscmalibuinsc Member Posts: 10
    Hello everybody,
    My '98 Malibu LS is holding up very strong in South Carolina. I have over 94000 miles on it and the only problems I've had were an alternator at 53,000 and the lower intake manifold gasket leak that was repaired at 78,000 miles. I had the A/C flicker but replaced the control unit in the dash and haven't had trouble with it since. Here the summer heat is harsh 90's and 100's occurring easily and this car takes it without breaking a sweat and the last few winters here, we had some pretty big winter storms by SC standards with 6 inches of snow this year and many past years ice storms. This car handled them with no problems. Sorry for people with Malibu's with troubles, but mine is a joy. I still get 30 mpg on the highway and 24 in city driving. I had the transmission fluid changed in May at 90,000 miles and I'm still on the original spark plugs. I hope this is some encouragement for some Malibu owners. The problems that did occur were IMO normal. Brake rotor problems were not a serious issue for me. My car's build day was Jan. 15, 1998, with the 155hp engine, not the 150hp engine as stated by the car's manual.
  • piercetpiercet Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Malibu I purchased Oct 01. In almost all respects I like the car quite a bit. However, during the colder months, my fan started vibrating so badly I couldn't run it above the #2 position without seriously shaking the console. Also, practically no air flow from the vents. When I took it to the dealer, they took a look, called me, and said the warranty didn't cover the problem since nothing was actually broken. The environmental air intake (and fan, and evaporator) were filled and blocked with rodent nest materials. The did agree to forego, for one time only, the $688 cost of removing the console entirely and cleaning out the air system. Ten days later the fan was vibrating again and airflow blocked. Well summer is here and the Mojave desert is seeing 106 degree temperature and now I have no useable air conditioning.

The Chevy customer complaint line said I was out of luck and the dealer will not help again. Haven't these people ever heard of Hanta Virus? All the time I am in the car, I am breathing rodent nest debris.

So, I would love to hear from anybody who has had this problem in the 2000, 2001, or 2002 models. If I can get enough juice I might be able to sway Chevy to cover this potentially fatal design flaw and clean that "crap" out of the air I breathe..

Thanks ahead of time for any help you can offer.

Terry
  • gwm2gwm2 Member Posts: 6
    I just found this site & need some help. How can I find the posts(without reading all of them)that deal with "ABS" light & "Security sys." light on dash? The "Security" light shuts the car off & I have to wait approx. 20 min. to restart. I want to sell this car & would feel better if I could fix these two problems or at least explain them to prospective buyers! It's a '97 LS w/67K mi. & out of warranty. Any help would be appreciated.
  • joe3891joe3891 Member Posts: 759
    Check for a screen over the air inlet in front of the windshield,lift the hood & look.
    Do you leave your windows open at night?
  • dfenndfenn Member Posts: 1
    WOW!! There are a ton of messages here on this board. Most of them address problems I've already experienced under warranty and can share my 2 cents worth with multiple trips to the dealer for rotor replacements and the like. Additional trips to the dealer dealt with the air conditioner and overheating (the dealer replaced the ECU panel). However, has anyone out there had any oil leak problems with the 3.1 V6 (2000 Malibu)?

I began smelling burnt oil coming in through the vents a few months ago and the dealer responded by "gooping" every engine seam with high temp sealant. This of course didn't stop it all together and can still smell the odor, but to a lesser degree. I noticed some moisture on the firewall side of the engine, just under the head. Has anyone experienced this? I only have 2K left on the standard warranty and am looking to confront the dealer with some good/hard info. I imagine that with the 1/8th inch thick gaskets sealing every engine component, a leak is bound to turn up anywhere.

Boy, I can go on and on about this car and the time it's spent in the shop. If GM would install some ceramic rotors and pads on this car and replace the Isuzu engine, they might just have a car worth it's salt.

Thanks everyone!!

Dave
  • mjohns7861mjohns7861 Member Posts: 41
    ....on my '99 LS. As a general rule is it a good idea to bring it on for a "look over" by the dealer? By the way, have had my LS for 3 years and 24K miles, no problems.
  • vet5vet5 Member Posts: 9
    Judging by the posts here, at least have a pressure check done on the cooling system, and visually check the radiator cap yourself when engine is cold for crud buildup. This was mentioned a few posts back. I checked my cap the other day (2001 w/21K miles) and it's getting gunky. Going to get new cap tomorrow ($10.50 at Chevy). I read it is supposed to have a negative effect on the cooling system/intake manifold gasket/etc. I am sure others here have a variety of good ideas.
    Vet5, what exactly "is supposed to have a negative effect on the cooling system/intake manifold gasket/etc" ? A new pressure cap? Why?
  • mkstfmkstf Member Posts: 12
    i have a 98 malibu recently i've been having problems with my power windows and a/c. some days they work fine other days they stop working (at the same time) one time i just happened to jiggle the key a little bit and they came back on. other times i tried it and it didn't work. if any one had this problem or has a solution i'd appreciate any info. thanks mkstf
  • metsfan115metsfan115 Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2001 Malibu with 11K miles. I Have not had any major problems with the vehicle until this point. During a recent heat wave in the Northeast, I have been using my A/C in the car quite frequently. I always run the A/C with the RECIRC AIR pushed in for optimal cooling. Lately, I have noticed that the climate control system switches back to the FRESH AIR mode from the RECIRC mode on its own, causing warmer air to blow in.

I reset the switch to RECIRC, but it continues to switch back to FRESH.

Has anyone else had this problem?
    Should I bring it to the dealer or is this normal?

I also notice that one of my plastic headlight assemblies is taking on moisture, is something that the delaer will repair under warranty?

Thanks for your insight, this board is very insightful.
  • lhargis1lhargis1 Member Posts: 6
    I have a 6 week old '02 malibu LS in black, and the paint on the hood is beginning to bubble. Anyone had similar? I am calling the dealership tomorrow.

Thanks!!!!

Lance
  • pluto5pluto5 Member Posts: 618
    If your paint is bubbling only on one panel it may have been damaged in transit and repainted. If it wasn't prepared properly the paint could bubble. The dealer's body shop should completely remove the old paint and refinish the hood. Dealer should be able to correct with no problem.
  • lhargis1lhargis1 Member Posts: 6
    Thanks much!!! I will let you know how it goes with the dealership.
  • wilfj1wilfj1 Member Posts: 52
    Just purchased a 2002, believe it or not without first checking the Web. All my research had been done on the 02 Impala, but the check book said sorry perhaps next time. Has the 3.1 engine noise problem been corrected in 02.? Our car was built in March 02. Also I noted AC problems listed any correction made in 02 ?. The tire noise is something for Ripley's believe it or not. After 300 Km I'll have to change the tires or play the radio on high volume. How could they do something as stupid after knowing the tires have been unsatisfactory for over 2 years !! Is this something a good Lawyer would like to take on as a class action, sure seems to fit the mold.
    Wilfj, obviously, it is a damn shame GM still cannot make a product without some crap ruining the owner's enjoyment. But I am somewhat perplexed. Engine and tire noise could and should have been discovered during the test drive. What happenned?
    Thanks for your reply bcmalibu99ls. The motor is perfect. I was concerned with a potential future problem. I've been told that a mode was made when the engine was stepped up to 170 hp in 2001. Your correct the tire noise should have been detected on the test. However, with checking the cd/radio and the interior etc. and at 60km the noise went unnoticed until we made a short trip at 100km with radio off. So be it.... just as long as the engine performs as my 91 lamina 3.1 has with 145km
    It's not the Impala... but with the price tag I'll have a good piece of change left when I replace the tires. Other then the road noise seems like a fine mid size riding car ,at good value, providing of course the 3.1 does the job. I also laid on the 5 yr 100000 ,no deductible just in case. Time will tell and I still have my Lumina to boot, other then brakes its it's been a great car, well worth keeping. Cheers
  • pluto5pluto5 Member Posts: 618
    I doubt you will have problems with the 3.1 motor in your 02. I have a '97 and it's OK. Some valve noise when engine is cold but that is considered normal. Cheap tires are a fact of life on lower priced sedans. I usually get rid of them after two yrs. so they aren't a total loss.
    I understand from the manual that the radio has a code that has to be entered in if the battery is disconnected for the radio to function again. I didn't receive such a code with info on the car. IF this is a fact, if so I'll ask the dealer for the code who I assume would have it, the car is just 1 week old.
    I guess the only purpose is to give you satisfaction that the thief won't be able to enjoy your radio, but that's about it. Reading how much headache people have had with this radio code, makes me wonder if we need it at all
  • dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    I had a 3.1 in my 91 Cavalier RS and it was flawless for 7 year (155K). I don't think you are likely to have any problems. As for the Malibu itself, it's quality has improved a lot. It actually won the JD Power award for best initial quality this year.

The tire issue is a problem and you might want to replace them. Saturn uses those crappy Firestones on their L-series also and people complain about the noise all the time. Our new Alero has BF Goodrich T/A tires and they are excellent.
    Thanks for comments. Just come back from dealer, leaving car for undercoating, which they claim will reduce road noise by 30%. that remains to be seen, even 20% would help.If the battery is disconnected, at any time the radio has to be re addressed directly from GM via satellite . Cost is $24.95 but is covered under warranty if the battery is disconnected by the dealer. One fellow said it took over 2 hours to get the radio going again. It would seem there should be a simple way for the customer to re enter his code.... but that would be to easy ! Why steal the radio, the goons will take the whole car now. I wonder just who is doing any common sense thinking at GM. Unless it's complicated it's not intelligent so they say!. I dare not tell my wife I need new tires on the new , I can't afford a separation.
    As my son says drive the car and enjoy, after 3 years trade it in , it well still have 2 years warranty , undercoated, wax sealed so it should be a good trade in. He's right again.
    Wire up a cigarette lighter adaptor to a 9v battery and plug it in before you unhook the battery,or just buy one ready made.
    thanks Joe, there's always away, any idea where one one find a adaptor with the battery already made up?.Any chance of shorting any electrons by using the bypass also car is 12volt I assume 9 volts holds the radio ?
    JC Whitney sells them,I would look local first,cheaper.
    9v will hold the radio & I understand computer settings also.
    Thats the beauty of it if you short out something nothing happens.
    I would think if you shorted out something for a long time you would lose the radio,but a momentary short would be ok.
  • tamu2002tamu2002 Member Posts: 758
    Hi all,

I changed the oil without changing the filter yesterday because there simply wasn't a big enough gap underneath the car or from underneath the hood to get the filter in or out. Any idea? Thank!
  • hauntshaunts Member Posts: 6
    Remove the black plastic panel on the undercarriage just to the rear of the radiator support. It's held on by 2 thumbscrews, no tools required.
    Thanks! I figured something has to be taken off. I changed the oil at 1000 miles and the oil looked fairly clean, to the naked eye anyway.
    why did you change your oil so early?
    I read doing the 1st oil change early helps get rid of tiny metal bits from the break-in, plus my car was built in Jan, 2002 and the oil was actually more than 6 months old. I figued it's easy enough since I needed to change the oil on my other car as well. Like I said the oil looked clean though. But the oil filter's gonna have to wait for the next oil change to be changed though now that I know how to reach it now.
  • jpelderjpelder Member Posts: 235
    Any truth to the rumor that the next generation Malibu will be a Crossover?
    Jpelder, I think I've seen a pic of a future Malibu Crossover. It would be in addition to a new sedan, though.

BTW, does anyone agree with me that the current Malibu looks very fine, except that from behind it's quite unappealing. Hondas look much better from behind, and so does every other car, except, maybe, the Cavalier, would you not say?
  • vcjumpervcjumper Member Posts: 1,110
    With their seemingly black striped taillights, some ribbed for pleasure??, look pretty disappointing to me these days.

Honda Civic hatchbacks turned so ugly from behind (from previously being pretty nice) their last generation they stopped making them because of low sales (until the current Si came out).

Pontiac Aztec/Buick Rendezvous have odd proportions in the rear. The Buick's tailights seem way too high.
    Not up to speed... please explain a crossover for 2003.?? I just bought a 2002 and after undercoating road noise must be 20% less . Also I lined the trunk, back seat panel with some foam {removal able} what a difference! The sound was coming through from the truck into the passenger compartment. My Lumina had just such a panel. I would think the Buick century might have a cover board or something to dull the sound coming in from the trunk . The tire noise is still there but not as bad, so the tires will stay for now.
    GM should redesign the butt and solve these problems: brakes, leaking intake manifold, AC switch, and outside noise + rattling. Instead, they are designing a new Malibu, and let me guess, the first couple of years it will be a complete crap, with lousy brakes, numerous electrical problems, half-dead AC, just like '97 and '98 malibus, and by year 2010 it will finally be a decent car. Shame!
  • dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    The 2002 Malibu won the JD Power award for best initial quality so they must be doing something right with the car. New model in 04 should be out next spring and is derived from a European Opel model. Given it's already in production there, one hopes GM will have the bugs out when it comes out as a Malibu in North America. I suspect GM will be putting heavy resources into quality control for the new Malibu as they are in a very competitive segment and must get it right. Given what's going on at GM these day, I think they will pull it off.
    Spoke to an owner of a 2000 and he had to replace the heater fan 3 times twice under warranty and the last time at his expense. he plans to go after GM for the cost as there has to be a faulty motor! Has anyone else had a blower problem? Oh this fellow is on the highway most of the time and has 160k on the car.
    Hi all!

I did the usual oil-lube-filter at a GM dealership today (BTW they got H2 in the showroom, mama mia, what a sweet car!!!), and the service guy was trying to sell me more stuff (as usual), and he said I needed a transmission fluid flush and a rear drum brake service, because, as he said, there's a need to remove the dust which has nowhere to go and would corrode the brakes. Is any of that true? How often should the transmission fluid be flushed and rear brakes serviced? Thanks!
  • yurakmyurakm Member Posts: 1,345
    According to Malibu manual, transmission service is due every 50,000 miles. The manual even say "never" under ideal conditions: driving on flat terrains, not in city.

However, I believe that this is a long stretch. I serviced the transmission at 40k miles, and nevertheless the transmission failed and was replaced at about 48k miles.

Probably, 30k miles is reasonable. Depending on driving style and conditions.
    Yurakm, did you have a transmission fluid flush at 40k, or something else? And how did it fail?

I dunno, I am somewhat paranoid about these service people. I am afraid they might intentionally damage something in hopes you would come to them to get it fixed. It's an authorized dealership, but I don't trust anyone in this business, and it's a shame
    I just replaced (not flushed) the tranny fluid & filter in our '99 Malibu at 80,000km (50,000 miles). Normal mix of City/Highway driving. The old fluid looked/smelled fine. Very little wear debris in the pan. Used Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF and noticed a slightly improved shift feel afterwards (not that the old fluid was causing problems).

I too am paranoid about others messing with my car so I do most things such as this myself
    Please forgive my ignorance, but what is the difference between flushing the fluid and replacing it? And how difficult is it to do it yourself?
    Flushing the fluid supposidly replaces all the old fluid with new. The service manual approved version of replacing ATF fluid renews 7 liters out of 12.

It works for me.
  • 7to57to5 Member Posts: 4
    I read somewhere that the 2002 Malibu LS has an element antenna. The photograph of the vehicle in the Malibu brochure shows it as having an element antenna. At least there is no mast antenna visible in the photographs. But the ones I saw at a dealership had mast antennas! Did the manufacturer run out of element antennas in the middle of production and replace it with a mast antenna on some of the units?
    I recall someone saying the 04 Malibu will be a Crossover, can someone explain. thanks. Also I have an 02 with a rear antenna, Looks to me they all came with the antenna , my car was built in April 02. I prefer the whip ,far better range. I can still receive our local AM about 170 miles south of us during the day . The station is 50000 watts so it does have the juice to get out. Keep smiling....
  • polymerasepolymerase Member Posts: 2
    Hey all. Well here is my experience with the Malibu so far. I have had it for almost three years now and it'll be going in for what I feel is a good amount of warranty work for an almost $20k new car. Frankly (maybe it's just the car I got) I'm not too impressed with it. I don't like the interior design at all. I thought I would get used to it, but it hasn't happened. I say this from the experience of several 1500 mile trips I've done. Short trips aren't too bad, but after a while you really notice just how uncomfortable the seats are. The fabric is like velcro (sic), if you don't sit just right the first time then start driving, it's next to impossible to get your pants adjusted. When it's cold and the air is dry you (or maybe it's just me) always get an electric shock when you get out and touch the door to close it. The center console takes up space, the radio, A/C, etc. should be in the dash. Oh ya, the plastic pieces that make up the dash don't fit well and so there is a squeaking/rattling sound when you drive on uneven pavement. And speaking of worthless plastic, I made the mistake of leaning on the armrest on the door. Care to guess what happened to the hollow back half of it? Oh and the black plastic guard under the front grill blew off somewhere on a highway.

For the warranty work:
    1. The gas mileage (on my car anyway) is pitiful. It is suppose to give 24/29? The best my car has done is about 24 on the highway and about 20 city (the worst being around 17). No ideas on that one.

2. The left front break locks up.

3. There is a rattling sound coming from the right drivers side. I can't tell if it is the shock or strut.

4. The A/C turns on and off. If you turn it off then back on it sometimes fixes itself.

5. Both back windows make a gear-like whining sound when they go up.

6. I think we all know about the tires. They only have about 25k on them and they already have a dry rot crack all the way around.

Anybody know of any good dealerships in the Hershey/Harrisburg to get the work done?

p.s. On the good side, I do like the engine. It has a good amount of kick to it and it handles the hills around here (some are quite steep) very well.
  • 7to57to5 Member Posts: 4
    The 2002 Malibu currently has a $3000. customer's cash incentive. The 2003 currently has a $1000.
    customer's cash incentive. During the 2002 model year, wasn't there a $2002 cash incentive offered as well? My negotiating skills aren't up to what they were the last time I purchased a new car. I want to take advantage of the $3000. incentive, but if I can't get the price I'm looking for, I'll wait another year. Does anyone know how these incentives progress during a model year? I'm trying to find out the approximate months the "$2003." and the $3000. cash incentives will be offered for the 2003 Malibu.
This discussion has been closed.