Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2000-2011 Chevrolet Malibu

Comments

• Options
    bcmalibu99lsbcmalibu99ls Member Posts: 625
    Polymerase, sorry to hear about your Malibu problems. One would think after eighty or so years of making cars GM would figure out by now how to produce a trouble-free vehicle. Ah, sweet dreams

7to5, and if you have a GM Card, you can redeem up to $1,500 on a Malibu, so you can get a 2002 Bu for 4,500 less. Not too shabby, eh?

Wilfj1, I think I saw a picture where Bu looks like a friggin' wagon, if you can believe it. The front is redesigned, but I haven't seen the butt. Hope it's not as ugly as it is right now, cause if that's what they learn in design schools, then it's a joke
  • Options
    yurakmyurakm Member Posts: 1,345
    Sorry for delay with my response.

I am not sure, if they mechanics flushed ATF very thoroughly. I brought 15 quarts of Mobil 1 ATF to the shop, and they used only 9 quarts. This is more than needed for just replacing fluid (pan drop), but less than what is going into a dry unit.

And of course, they did not broke the transmission.

I started to feel that the car became a bit less responsive for the first 2-3 minutes when it was rather cold the last winter. Had transmission serviced in spring. During this winter, 2001/2002, this became not feelings, but hard facts. Slipped very much even in moderate temperatures like 40-45F. Simply could not drive uphill till the car warms for 5 minutes. I live on a hilly street, and my driveway also have a slope.
  • Options
    wilfj1wilfj1 Member Posts: 52
    I had a Honda Accord out for a day before purchasing my 02 Malibu. frankly, I could not see the $ 7000.00 price difference. So the the interior material may not be the same Quality, I really could care less. I have a 91 Lumina and if the maliba performs as well I'll be quite happy. I have a 5 year 100k non deductible warranty and a good Dealer...I can sleep at nights.
    Sooo, lets get back to basics, the Malibu is a mid size budget car, with a 170 hp motor and a fair riding car. As far as I'm concerned darn good value to say the least. If you want to spend $ 28 to$30 thou go to it. I'll take the change and enjoy my 3.1 Malibu , also knowing that if and when I require parts they will be available and a reasonable price. Try a air filter for a Honda, I can buy two for the Malibu ! With proper care and regular maintenance I'm sure the Malibu will do the job. My son had a new Camary and the motor went out in 10000km, next door neighbour had a new Taraus, list just to long to cover. Our cars are mass produced and there will be problems, It's a simple fact we have to live with, some will perform better then others and depending on the driver/owner caring for the car.
    Have you purchased a new home lately... Amen
  • Options
    Wilfj, my Bu has actually caused me very, very few problems. A dead battery after 12 months and broken electric mirrors (twice), plus a new set of brake pads at 20K, and that's all, believe it or not. Occasional rattles and paint chips notwithstanding. And I've had it for over 3 years and 36K miles. If that continues for another 3 years, I'd be quite happy. But if my tranny goes at 40K miles like yurakm's, it would be a different story.

What frustrates me is to hear about all the problems other people are having, and not only because the problems exist, but because these problems appear to be highly preventable. The brakes problem is especially baffling, as the brakes have been around as long as the auto industry itself, and by now I would imagine GM could have figured out how to make trouble-free brakes. But no, the brakes are the biggest problem on the malibus!

And then we hear "oh, they are not making the brakes the way they used to." So, they are cutting the costs to sell you a car "at a great price," knowing very well you will have to spend hundreds of dollars extra to get quality rotors and pads. I deeply resent this kind of business pratice. I believe it is unethical at best
  • Options
    7to57to5 Member Posts: 4
    There is no option for an 8 way power seat on the LS. Is it a straighforward process, like changing the motor in the seat, to make the conversion - in the aftermarket?
  • Options
    Reply to BCMALIBU99: Your absolutely right when it comes to GM's engineering on brakes. My Lumina had brake fault at 10km and every year thereafter till the warranty ran out at 100k. Midas had the fix.Even with the warranty it still cost me the $100 deductible and the inconvience. A successful class action was taken in the US but not in Canada, to passive to even consider such action, that may change now.
    I'm not sure if any fix was made in 02. I'll just have to continue to have the brakes checked out at every tire rotation as I did in the past. Can anyone explain a crossover model in 04??. Thanks
  • Options
    usaf52usaf52 Member Posts: 70
    I have a 2002 Malibu, and have had no problems at all. I do agree with the other posters who said the rear of the car is ugly. When looking at the rear end, the bulbous taillights look like a giant frog. Chevy shouldn't have split the taillights with the trunk lid. Not only is it ugly, but the fit leaves something to be desired. One side of the trunk lid has a larger gap than the other.
  • Options
    rear ends are left to the beholders......I liked the Impala, my wife preferred the Malibu, my wife's rear end won out! Honda Accord, in a flash looks like the Malibu give or take the license plate location. I keep asking what a Crossover is for 04 models.any answers?
  • Options
    dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    04 Malibu crossover will be a wagon/hatchback type vehicle, similar in function but bigger than say a Pontiac Vibe or Toyota Matrix. I have seen pictures on the net, but I can't think of where right now. Perhaps the Opel.com site??
  • Options
    kuroskitkuroskit Member Posts: 1
    My brake and ABS lights came on and stayed on,
    the brakes seem to be working OK as far as I can tell, taking it in for service in a few days, anyone else have this problem?
  • Options
    Kuroskit, about 18 months ago my ABS light came on for half a second when I was driving, and then the same happened for several seconds about a week later. And that was it, it's like it was in a dream, but it wasn't. It was never on while I was driving since that time. Weird!

And a bit of useless info, here in BC our cars have to pass a biannual tailpipe emissions test called AirCare. Basically they put your car on some sort of a treadmill, stick a cable into your OBD computer socket (which is below the steering wheel not far from the parking brake, I didn't know that!) and also they put some sort of a funnel connected to a hose over your tailpipe to measure emissions. And so the technician then sits behind the wheel and "drives" the car on the treadmill, while looking at the emissions reading on a computer screen right in front of the windshield. And after he was done with the test he invited me to drive the vehicle off the treadmill (he didn't turn the engine off), and the ABS light was on! Apparently, you need to turn the ignition off and on, and then the light disappears. Maybe the car somehow knows it's on a treadmill (though why would ABS be affected?), or maybe they do something else to cause the ABS light to light up, but I found it kind of strange, though apparently it's a very common occurence. Needless to say, I never had a problem with the ABS light after I turned the ignition off and on, as advised by the technician.

Oh, and you can test if it's the light malfunction or you have a true ABS problem. When your ABS light is on, find a very empty and large parking lot (as you don't want to skid and create an accident) and try to brake very hard. See if your wheels lock up or ABS kicks in. Good luck, and let us know what was the matter
  • Options
    Reply to Dindak:..Thanks for the info, I did reply earlier but my post did not take for some reason. If the car was built in Germany(Opel) I might be tempted to go for an 04. As BCMALIBU has cited and with sound examples, it may take GM Detriot 5 years to get it right. I seem to recall the Focus was European engineering and design but it took Ford 3 years to get their line and quality up to speed. Wilfj
  • Options
    joe3891joe3891 Member Posts: 759
    will come on if only the drive wheels are turning,like on a dyno.
  • Options
    Thanks, Joe, now I know why my ABS went off during the emissions test!

As far as getting the ABS light while driving, maybe due to some malfunction the computer is thinking the rear wheels are not spinning?
  • Options
    The 04 Malibu should be pretty good right off the bat. You always take chances with a new model, but GM has been pretty good lately with models like the Rendezvous, CTS and Vibe.

Might want to wait for 05, but the next generation Malibu should be much better than this one from what I have read.

Here are the pictures..

http://thehollywoodextra.com/SSR/ssr.html

• Options
    Thanks Dindak for the pictures on the o4 GM's. Yes the Malibu does look like a complete change over. I better start putting some km on my 02! and get off this computer...
  • Options
    steelerfan1steelerfan1 Member Posts: 7
    I was reading some of the postings on the radio and antenneas and reminded me of a odd situation with my car. It's a 99 LS and for whatever reason, I can not get ANY AM stations. I live in a populated area with many radio stations, so distance from an AM station is not an issue. Has anyone ever had this occur to them as well? Is there anything I can check or tests I can run to find out why this is happening.Whether I hit the scan or seek, I get absolutely nothing. I'm puzzled. Can anyone relate?
  • Options
    Steelerfan, I had exactly the same problem! I never posted it on this board when talking about my Bu's troubles because this problem was created by the repair shop where my car was for about a week after it was broken into, and was not caused by poor manufacturing. If you have the same problem as I did, it would take less than two minutes to fix it. All it takes is connecting some wires in the trunk! I am not kidding, that's all there is to it, so take it to the dealership and they may even do it for free :-)

Fellas, the new Bu does look appealing, but what I am thinking, if my Bu will live to see 2010-2012, that's when many manufacturers, including GM, plan on starting to mass produce fuel cell vehicles. It would mean huge savings on gas! So, that's my plan, drive this poor thing for about 10-12 more years (unless I win a lottery, which for some weird reason doesn't happen very often), and then buy a 3-rd year fuel cell vehicle.
  • Options
    joe3891joe3891 Member Posts: 759
    when driving I would say might be a wheel sensor.

On a rough road the wheel speed can change an put the light on sometimes even though the computer is suppose to recognize this and ignore it.
  • Options
    steelerfan1steelerfan1 Member Posts: 7
    Thank you bc malibu for your input. I went out and did some looking around in the trunk and can't seem to figure out what to do next. Here's what happened: I pulled the plug from inside the trunk that plugs into the antenna assembly. If I hold onto the end of the plug, I can get a reception. Once I let go, it's gone. It's like I'm acting as the antenna, and as long as I'm attached, it's OK. Plug it back in and nothing all over again. Could it be the cord going from the radio to the antenna assembly is faulty, or could I be missing something incredibly simple here. Help!?!
  • Options
    Sorry, Steelerfan, I wouldn't know anything about how to make it work. If no one has a clue, I guess you'd have to take it to a shop to have it fixed. It does sound like you might have the problem with the antenna itself, if the radio works fine when you serve as an "antenna."
  • Options
    odmanodman Member Posts: 309
    Here are some more pictures of the Opel Signum, on which the next Malibu will be based.

http://www.cardesignnews.com/news/2002/020821opel-signum/index.html

• Options
    Like the wagon, but I wonder if it will sell in North America. I suspect the wagon will be made in very small numbers compared to the sedan.
  • Options
    Trivia:

If you are looking at a Malibu from the side, how can you 100% tell if it is a Standard or an LS version?
  • Options
    hauntshaunts Member Posts: 6
    Well bcmalibu99ls;

Foglamps from the front, LS badge from behind.
    Headrest fabric from the side? Need great eyes
    for that one.
  • Options
    It has nothing to do with the fabric (I didn't even know there was a difference, duh!). Try again, Haunts, the answer may surprise you, as it is so obvious once you know :-)
  • Options
    bc60bc60 Member Posts: 17
    The mirrors on the LS are body paint colored and the rocker panel on the LS are body paint colored while on the non-LS, the mirrors and rocker panels are black
  • Options
    BC60 got this one!

His prize is a brand-new Yugo Reliant!
  • Options
    Speaking of ugly vehicles, does anyone think someone forgot to administer a drug test before allowing VW designers to create this, eh, vehicle? Methinks it even beats the Aztek in the ugly department, though both of them are ugly in their own unique ways

http://money.cnn.com/2002/08/23/pf/autos/microbus/index.htm

• Options
    Well,

It's not that obvious, it depends what model year we are talking about. The '99's for example had body color mirrors if LS or not. '00 was a different story! Rocker panels have never been black, IIRC. Mud deflectors are a different story.
  • Options
    bc60bc60 Member Posts: 17
    I don't know about the malibu's were you live but here in Virginia, the non-LS malibu's have black rocker panels and black mirrors. I can't speak for all years of malibu's though.
  • Options
    As I understand it, regardless from the side or the back your out about $1500.00 Can. or is that off the mark? wilfj1
  • Options
  • Options
    A semi through a real stone and did a number on my windshield on the long weekend. Just turned 1000km, oh well could be worse. Took it to dealer to have replacement done under my insurance. I was told not to wash the car or travel on the highway for 24 hrs. Also leave the door window slightly open. Done all that : next day washed the car and cleaned the windshield. The new shield has a defect right in the centre and can only be picked out with the sun/ bright light on it. Well when I returned to the dealer... wasn't there when you picked up the car !! and the installer would have picked it up... etc etc. wasn't till the parts manager looked at it and simple said" defective glass, replace it". It seemed to me the body shop was running for cover.... So far my 02 Malibu has not been a happy experience, no fault of the car. Is there a greater risk of a water leak with two shields installed within 10 days ? The body shop says no, sure hope their right.
  • Options
    Wilfj, sorry about your windshield. I had mine replaced a while ago, and haven't had any water leak problems with it.
  • Options
    Thanks BCMALIBU for your response. If it's done right I sure it will be fine. I drove my 91 Lumina on the same highway for 11 years and not a nick on the glass. I noticed from day one with the Malibu far more bugs that I every had. Also the stone hit the grill first and bounced up to the shield. I inquired in the Parts dept about a front defector, Plastic type, not a Gm stock item. Try Cdn tire... Bu seems to have a very lowww profile could this be the reason for the Shield catching all the junk from the road and I wonder if the defectors real help? parts dept said can't hurt as long as it's installed correctly avoiding paint damage.
    Sure is deer season on the road, never seen so many... getting close to heat time ?
  • Options
    try driving at night through Texas, New Mexico and Arizona. Your car would look like a certified bug killing unit :-)
  • Options
    dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    I tink PA has all of those states beat for bugs. One trip down the PA Turnpike will have you begging for a water pail and squeegee.

Another way of tellingthe difference between a LS and non-LS: LS has alloy wheels.

18,500 miles on my 1 year, 2month Malibu and nothign to complain about except for the lousy tires and too small fuel tank. But getting 29 mpg on the highway sure is nice.
  • Options
    Forgive me for asking, but what's the difference between alloy and "regular" wheels in appearance and function? Do alloys improve driveability? Last longer? Have better structural integrity?
  • Options
    stevenycestevenyce Member Posts: 4
    I own a 2000 Chevy Malibu LS approaching the 59,000 mile threshold. Does anyone have any suggestions for long lasting wet traction tires. I have to contend with the "florida ice" so I was thinking Aquatread 80,000 mi., but they are pricey. Does anyone have any suggestions? I would really appreciate it.
  • Options
    Steve, I have Aquatred IIIs. These tires have the best traction possible - AA - and 80K miles warranty. They are indeed not cheap, but you do get what you pay for, and since tires are so crucial in braking and maneuverability, let alone comfort and noise, I think this is not where one should look to cut corners
  • Options
    dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    The regular wheels have a plastic hub cap with steel wheels. Steel Wheels tend to be solid while alloys have 4-6 spokes. I'm not sure if the alloys improve the ride or handling of the car but they do look much better.

RE: tires. Before you buy the Aquatread III, you might want to look at www.tirerack.com or find a back issue of Consumer Reports. If i remember right, you cna find tires that handle the wet stuff just as well as the Aquatread and they are much cheaper. Personally, I am not sold on Goodyear tires. I think they charge a premium price because of their name in auto racing. People tend to buy their products based on name alone. But this is just my opinion.
  • Options
    Speaking of tirerack.com, guess which tire tops the chart in the survey of all-season tires? The same tire which leads all other tires in the survey in such categories as: dry traction, wet traction, hydro resistance, and would buy again! Who is the winner???

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/as.jsp

dtown, any other tire you know of which offers AA traction and 80K miles warranty?

• Options
    Just wanted to follow up on my earlier post of my tire purchase. Found a happy medium with Continenta Touring LX with 70,000 mi warranty on sale for 62.99 a tire (215 60 15 size). I've had them for almost a week and driven in fair weather and in Florida downpours with the famous Florida Ice afterwards. I must say these tires are light years ahead of the Affinity's that the Malibu originally came with. I feel like I am on a cloud as they absorb every divit and asphalt imperfection in the road. Extremely surefooted handling on wet pavement as well. I must recommend these tires to anyone looking to change out those sub par firestones, as these Continentals are a GREAT value.

Other notes on my car:
    At the 59,000 mile mark my 2000 Malibu LS is performing nicely giving me about 26-29 miles a gallon. Only complaint is the warping of the brakes, which was expected, but at $19,500 with all the goodies (Leather, sunroof, gold, CD) I can live with more frequent rotor service, as opposed to paying thousands more for a midsize import.

Today I'm having the Serpentine belt change and the fuel filter replaced which should definitely help mpg. As long as you do oil changes every 3-4 thousand miles, this car will run like a dream. I hope this helps, and any comments or suggestions would be graetly appreciated.

Stevenyce
  • Options
    Stevenyce... who makes the touring lx ? Did your firestones give you 59000 miles ?
  • Options
    My '99 Malibu LS has been very reliable so far. Went thru the standard drill with the A/C controller and blower resistor.

Still have original rotors (and tires) at 89K kms (55K miles) I think the main trick here is to use a torque wrench on the lug nuts. I don't let anyone with an impact gun near my ride.

Anyway, I am hearing occasional 'chirping' sounds coming from the front suspension. Usually over small road imperfections at moderate speeds. I greased the front stabilizer bushings as per the TSB but still no joy.

Ideas, anyone?

Regards, Al.
  • Options
    hengheng Member Posts: 411
    There seems to be a mounting body of dis-satisfied drivers that report symptoms of vibration and pulling indicative of belt failures in Continental tires. I hope this doesn't happen to you but I want to temper that endorsement.
  • Options
    Hey Haunts

I had some noises coming from the front about 1.5 years ago. I had the chassis lubricated, and the noise was gone. Is that what you did? If not, maybe lubing the chassis would help. BTW, the noise has not returned.
  • Options
    The Affinitys actually gave me 59,000 mi, they might have given me a few more thousand had I had them aligned more often than I did. The touring LX's are made by continental.

As far as for belt failure, I guess I'll just have to wait and see as there can be defects with any tire. The Continental's were a great deal with a nice long 70K warranty, so I should be covered.
  • Options
    blgrosblgros Member Posts: 6
    Just had the 01 Malibu LS's first anniversary since I bought it.
    No problems.
    Have 13000 miles. Changed oil 3 times, rotated tires the 2nd time.
    Happy with the car, the way it drives and everything. Getting usually about 23 MPG, but close to 30 on the highway.

I guess the 15000 mile service is coming up. Dealer recommends oil and filter, rotate tires, check alignment and flush the transmission fluid. $199.

Not sure if it is all necessary, but i'll do as they advise for now.
This discussion has been closed.