Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2000-2011 Chevrolet Malibu

Comments

• jtrujillo86jtrujillo86 Member Posts: 300
    I have this funky belt (kinda looks like a vacuum cleaner belt) that goes around my passenger side engine mount. Since my car has been wrecked in the past, I have a feeling it's not supposed to be there. Can every one with a 97-99 Malibu look and see if your vehicle has this. I'd really appreciate it and I'd feel much better. Thanks a lot!

Jeremy
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    my mother just bought a malibu (not an ls) after breaking her addiction to buying a new chrysler product every 10 years(4). still stuck with the old reliable dark green though.
    it just seems like a really good value, and she seemed comfortable driving it right away. her biggest issue was that she had never driven a car with a floor shift before looking for a car this time. from my point of view being somewhat tall, it seemed to be a lot easier to get in and out of, the seats are better, and the car is much quieter than the other cars 'we' test drove. btw, i'm a ford guy, but i think she got a good car.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • uga91uga91 Member Posts: 1,065
    Thanks for the input. My mother-in-law is kind of opposite your mom. She drove nothing but GM sedans for decades and then decided she wanted something totally different. Bought a PT Cruiser to be different. She likes it, but misses the "feel of the GM sedan" whatever that means. I think the PT seats are a little small and stiff for her for drives over 20 minutes or so. The 4 banger under the hood doesn't have the best pick up in the world, either. We'll see what happens. Thanks again.
  • wpbharrywpbharry Member Posts: 399
    That was a bit rude on your part, but I can understand the need to vent once in a while. Kindly reopen the '04 forum, Thanks, as always.
  • gmallthewaygmalltheway Member Posts: 77
    with that but any ways, does anyone know for sure when we will actually see the 04 Malibu sitting on the lot? I keep looking at the Chevy dealer where i buy everything hoping i will one day see one sitting there among all the base model 03's in only TWO colors tan and silver.
  • logic1logic1 Member Posts: 2,433
    has the build your own function up and running for the XLR already, but not for the new Malibu.

04 Malibu production began last week I believe.

Anyone hear when marketing will start for the new car?
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    The conversation about Malibus is going to continue here. And it will not continue in the same rude manner that has dominated the other discussion.

If anyone has further comments to make about topic management, please make them to me by email - or, if you'd rather, to Sylvia our Community Manager at sylvia@edmunds.com.

We are moving the subject to this continuing discussion in an effort to regain the respectful conversation that is the hallmark of our community. The sarcastic and snide comments some of us have been directing at others in the now-closed discussion is done.

Thanks.
  • wpbharrywpbharry Member Posts: 399
    Begins next Monday, the 11th.
    here.

Per Wpbharry's note, with '04 production starting next week, the '03 Malibu will now become the fleet only Chevy Classic. The '04 is the Malibu from here on out.

Let's hope it is a great one!
  • deminindeminin Member Posts: 214
    I was over at the local Chevy dealership yesterday, and the salesman said he expects the first shipment of "04's to arrive there around the middle of September. They have ordered 2 truckloads, which seems kind of optimistic, since this is largely pickup country, but then, this is a rural setting where patriotism and "buy American first" is still looked upon as a positive thing. Not too many foreign cars around here. Some of the larger urban markets may see the new models earlier.
    I would hope that the 04 Malibu will be here sooner than Mid-September. The M/T mag noted that the Malibu is on sale currently in the U.S. I haven't seen any around Denver dealerships, but I would really hope to see them by the 15th of Aug.
    Jeremy
    Doesn't production begin on the 11th? Sounds like the first of September is closer to when you will start seeing them to me. Also, two truck loads really isn't that many is it? How many on a truck? About 8?
  • chev98malichev98mali Member Posts: 1
    HELLO Everyone.. How are you all doing? I Love my Malibu.. it drives great however when I am at a stop light my car tends to go into a Epileptic Seizure.. My car has 110,095 and was wondering is that normal?
  • bcmalibu99lsbcmalibu99ls Member Posts: 625
    it starts shaking when you hold the brake pedal at a traffic light? That's not good, go have the car checked very soon
  • nalager25nalager25 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    When exactly will the 04 Malibu arrive? I have heard within the next 2 weeks and I have heard after Labor day. Thanks for the information.
    Hey! I have that same problem with my car. Is yours a hard jerking or just a little shake? Mine is just a little shake. I mentioned this when I first started posting here, but no one ever responded. Let me know what you find out and also how hard your shaking is.
    Thanks!

Jeremy
  • deminindeminin Member Posts: 214
    The reasons for rough idle are many. Here are some possibilities. With 110K miles, I would suspect one or more bad spark plugs, or wires. I would recommend you take it to a Chevy dealer and have them put the car on their Sun Machine. It will check the firing voltage on all plugs, and tell at a glance whether you have trouble with the ignition. I would recommend that you have them replace the plugs, if needed, and use platinum tip plugs. The rear plugs on a sideways six are hard to get to and sometimes require special tools, etc. Expect to pay about $75 for new plugs. If its plug wires or ignition modules, the Sun machine will pick that off, too. Cost for wires could be about $40, and I have no idea on modules, but it should be reasonable. You may also have partially plugged injectors. You might try adding a bottle of injector cleaner to your next tank of gas, and see if that helps. Check the idle speed on your tachometer. If the engine is idling too slow, it will shake. Cold idle should be around 1400 RPM, and 800-900 RPM when the engine is warm. If you are idling around 500 RPM, there is probably something wrong with the fuel system, plugged injectors..clogged fuel filter, etc., and the engine will shake badly. There are many other reasons for rough idle, mostly rare, and somewhat expensive to fix, but the basics, plugs, injectors, etc., usually fix 95% of the problems, and are not too expensive.
    I only have 63K on mine and she shakes softly (I'm the only person in the car who can notice it, but with the hood up, you can hear the engine stumble). My uncle said there was something wrong when the computer would go in to closed and open loop whatever that means. Just to get it looked at at the dealership is $93 so I'm gonna have to wait to see what's up; currently, I'm a little poor.

Jeremy
  • dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    Man Jeremy, As many problems as you have had with the malibu are there any original parts still left in the car????
    Hey, hey, hey...my bu may have her share of problems, but I still love her. She's the only car I have so I've got to make the best of it!

Can everyone refer to my post #1805. I plan to change the accessory drive belt and I need this question answered. No one answered when I posted it so I figured I'd ask again. Thanks!

Jeremy
  • dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    I believe I was reading mid-September release for the 04s.

Local lot still has about 12-15 03s sitting so I'm sure that will carry them for a month or two.
    ...a lot for that article. So when it said that the current Malibu's will be called the Chevrolet Classic, does that mean that our generation of Malibu's will continue indefinitely? I thought that our style of Malibu will only be offered in fleets until the end of the year when production would be cut off. Can anyone answer this?

Jeremy
    Chevy may continue making the Classic Malibu for a short while to satisfy fleet sales orders. I think Chevy did this with the Lumina a few years ago as well, didn't they? Even though there is a new Ford F-150 now, the older style will continue for a little while longer as the Heritage model. I guess it's a way to satisfy fleet contracts or something. But, I don't know if that is the case with Malibu or not.
    that Malibu Classic will be produced indefinitely, as it is cheaper than the new Bu and makes a great fleet vehicle. Here in Vancouver quite a few taxis are Malibus, hehehe
    It also takes a while to build up inventory and get production up to full steam. You see many companies do similar things thought the "Classic" like was mentioned, will be produced indefinitely for fleets. The cars have very decent quality and are great as rentals and fleet cars.

I'm sure some new Malibus will be fleeted also. Even Camcords are fleeted to some degree.
    Probably the real reason they are continuing with the current Malibu to fleet is to use up the parts leftover from the low sales over the past couple of years.

Seriously, the new malibu will show up as a fleet vehicle in a couple of years. Not sure this si a good idea of trying to change the name of the current Malibu to Classic (which it isn't). Why not call the new model Classic?
  • upsetter1upsetter1 Member Posts: 205
    I drove 2oo4 Malibu last sunday. Interior has surprisingly good fit and finish, some materials though are looking cheap, but still fit and finish is more like Japanese or European car than typical GM. I didn't like design of steering wheel though - looks too weird, when they will stop design all that wierd stuff. Driving dynamic is good, but suspension is soft, is more like Camry. Steering is way too light, feeling is like playing computer game - no feedback at all. I was told that steering is electric . They have to do something with steering, you feel scary when you don't feel the feedback from steering.

Exterior design is attractive and modern, anyway better than typical Asian car.

Engine was smooth and quiet, but I didn't drive it on freeway so cannot tell how it feels at high speed.

I drove SAAB 9-3 Sport sedan immediately after Malibu. It was cool, I couldn't believe it was made from the same platform. Probably GrandAm should be like SAAB, platform is capable to make comfortable and agile sport car. Pushrod may be too heavy for GrandAm.
    considering they started production of the new Malibu on Monday i'd like to know how you test drove one last Sunday??? I don't see how you just went to the local Chevy dealer and was able to take one out on a drive. I'm not calling you a liar but this seems impossible.
    I thought the same thing, but I figured it must have been some sort of GM related function he was attending. How else would one drive the new 04 Malibu and then drive a Saab? Who cross shopps Malibus and Sabbs?
    Yeah, you have to go there:

http://www.autoshowinmotion.com/pls/asim/frmMain.show

There were a lot of Malibus, more than any other car. You can also drive Corvette, Hummer, almost any GM and other cars like BMW, Lexus, Mercedes, Honda, Toyota (no Infinity/Acura though) and various trucks and SUVs. They didn't let to drive Chevy SSR though, you can only sit inside.
    that is SO cool, there is even one coming up in Cleveland Ohio, I just signed up to go on Sunday Sep. 21st!
    I'm gonna sign up to go to the one in Denver, and although I'm not 21, I'm gonna drag my uncle down so he could be the driver! I am so excited to see the new Malibu and I also want to ride in the Saab 9-3. Even though I am only 17, I'm a sport-sedan kinda guy!
    Jeremy
    Lunch is free and you also get a gift when leaving.
    Yet another reason to stay away from 04 Bu! I guess I will have to keep my 99 until I die (hopefully, some time in the distant future). Oh, well, too bad for GM :-)
    Actually I have driven 2 vehicles with electric steering and didn't even know until after. Fact of the matter is, electric is done right is better than traditional power steering systems. I'm glad the 04 Bu has it and I have read + things about it in the previews of the Bu I have seen thus far.
    Modern just in time auto production does not involve stock piling parts.

GM may have excess factory capacity it hopes to use, and perhaps has no current need to retool the equipment used to manufacture the current Malibu, soon to be Classic.

GM does not have warehouses full of parts, however. Parts will be made as demand dictates.
  • retiredguyretiredguy Member Posts: 67
    While just in time methods keep inventory to a minimum, however, manufactures quite often make total quantity purchase commitments which they must keep even though the parts have not been made.
    The Saturn Ion has it. Isn't the 04 Malibu also made on the Delta platform (the one used on the Ion)? I guess Saturn is truly not a different kind of car any more!
    The Saturn L-Series and the Malibu are on the same platform. The Ion is a MUCH smaller car.
    L series and Malibu are not on the same platform?

ION is not much smaller than the L.

Electric steering on both ION and VUE.
    ION is on GM global subcompact platform (probably developed with FIAT).

Saturn L is on older Opel Vectra platform (also older SAAB).

New Malibu is on the new Opel Vectra platform (that includes also new SAAB 9-3).

All three cars have three different platform. Saturn L is a platform that being phased out all over the world. ION and Malibu are new platforms.
    New L series will share platform with new Malibu, SAAB and new GrandAm.

Current Malibu, GrandAm and Alero are using some ancient GM NA only platform.
    thanks retiredguy. Yes, I know GM doesn't have a big closet filled with parts but their suppliers do and Gm does have commitments otherwise know as contracts. Still think they should just re-name 2004 Malibu something else and keep the current name as the fleet.

The ION is smaller but not by much. The Malibu platform is a new one which is a springboard for future GM midsize cars.

I believe the current Malibu shares platforms with the Alero and Grand AM. Please chime in if I am wrong. I even think it shares platforms with the Saturn L Series as well. If not then there are a lot similarities with these cars.
  • malibuinscmalibuinsc Member Posts: 10
    Hello everybody,

97'thru 03 Malibu's/Olds Cutlass's are P90's which are basically a Grand Am chassis with a bit of old L-body(Corsica/Beretta). The Saturn L-Series cars are basically late 90's Opel/Vaxhaull Vectra's reskinned and tuned to American taste because Saturn was starving for a midsize car and it was a quick fix until something substantial could be developed. L-Series and Current Malibu's are built along side by side. The Epsilon Cars will take the place of both platforms and also underpin Sabb's and Pontiac's as well. Alero was in line also but we know what happen there. It was rumored Buick may have gotten a Epsilon car too to take up the slack where Skylark left off. That has sorta died out lately. Haven't heard of any talk about that. The P90/Grand Am Chassis is great. Chevy has slightly less suspension tuning for family sedan duty while Pontiac has a slightly tighter suspension to give better cornering and handling performance. Especially for it's 3400 models. 2004 Malibu look's nice. The nose has to grow on me some. Maybe nicer in person. It still retains its Euro size being slightly shorter than the mainstream competitors and narrower. A true sign of its global intent and Euro orgins with the Opel Vectra/Signum. We all would like to see OHC's but nothing beats low end torque and grunt in city traffic and merging than a pushrod. Yes OHC's have almost endless top end power but that' old American punch, thrust, and seat pinning bottom end power is still fun and smile inducing. I have a 98 Malibu, 122,000 miles and I commute 95 miles round trip a day for a five days and only use fill up twice a week with 10 gallons. This is in SC in the midlands where its very hilly on the interstate at 75 MPH ( with an occasional burst higher than that LOL). Good Engine. Those are the times when I wish I had OHC. But for general purposes, OHV (pushrods) are good. The new 3500 V6 should solve those accelerating on steep hill deficiencies with the increase to 200Hp and 210 lb/ft of torque. On flat land, 3100 is strong.
    GA and Alero are identical but not quite the same as the Bu. I'm not sure what the exact differences are. We have an Alero and it's a decent platform even at a few years old.
    The platform is fine. My problem does not lie with the platform, engine choices or even the shape of the nose. It has to do with the quality of the materials that GM chooses to use for their cars. They are plain cheap. There is no other term for it. From the interior plastic, thin rotors, poor braking system, flimsy seat backs, tire selection (most OEM are not very good), etc. If they spent even a $1000 more on these parts, you would have a great car that would be competitve with the CAmCords.

These are things that you can't pick up in the first 90 days of ownership (yes a shot at JD Power). You have to live with the car and drive it for a while. Quite honestly, I like the ride, acceleration and handling of the car. It's fine for my taste but it's those little things that get you.

I'm interested in seeing the 2004 even though i am not in the market for a sedan (can anyone suggest a good minivan). Mostly because Ihave a 2001 malibu but I also want to see how GM is going to turn around their car divisions. They have a huge problem to deal with.
    I think the talk of a new smaller Buick died when GM decided to be more Lexus-like with the line, I believe. I think 2004 is the last year for the Century and the Regal will be their smallest car for 2005. As far as a new mini van goes, I think the new Saturn van comes out next year. Also, back to platforms--I really thought the new Malibu was being built on the Delta platform now used on the Ion, is that wrong? I know cars of different sizes can be built on the same platform.
    04 Bu seats are supposedly coming from the same maker that does the Saab seats.
    Today there was a radio ad for 50% off any used 03 Malibu on a local dealership lot. I plan to go look today. I'm pretty stoked since the 03 has a more powerful engine, standard pdl and pw (which I don't have) and a redesigned glove box. Mine is the weird shaped one on the inside and NONE of the glove boxes on the 97-99's close right. Also, I'm excited since the 03 is supposed to be a ton more reliable than my 97. I'm guessing I can get an 03 with 20K for about 8 or 7 thou after the discount. Wish me luck!!!!

Jeremy
This discussion has been closed.