Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2000-2011 Chevrolet Malibu

Comments

• wpbharrywpbharry Member Posts: 399
    is common on cars with less than 1,000 miles. That's about when they "set". Accord owners claim to be nearly going through the windshield on their brand-new ones.

Also, remember that you have rear drums (yes, aveman, it is an '03), and if you're used to rear discs on a prior car, that might be suspect. The brakes on my Bu were vastly superior to the car prior with rear drums (but that was an '86), but I really didn't notice a big diff compared to the '96 Monte or the '92 Accord, both of which had rear discs.
  • tgp1810tgp1810 Member Posts: 112
    Check out www.chevymalibu.com - from first glance it looks pretty nice.
    Just checked it out (actually was about to post a reminder for all. Beat me to the punch,tgp1810.).

I think that part of the video is what we'll see on TV tonight.

To view the video, you need to download the player (took me 2 mins. via dial-up). With dial-up, you can only see it in small size. If you have broadband, you see a much larger video. Didn't understand the part at the end about continuing on for more.

Anyway, remember to request a brochure if you want. The site says it'll take 4-6 weeks.

The link is below (tgp1810, you need the http part for the link to post as a link).

http://www.chevymalibu.com
  • trainiactrainiac Member Posts: 24
    This piece of junk has had all the problems listed in the other messages, brakes,AC switch, water pump etc. Now enter a severe anti-freeze leak which the dealer claims is due to a faulty intake manifold gasket. Estimate $650.00 at 38K doesn't sound right to me. Anyone filed a complaint to GM about these matters and if so please direct me to that contact person. Thanks in advance for your reply.
    As posted in here numerous times, the leaking lower intake manifold gasket is an inherent design flaw with the 3.1 and 3.4L GM V-6s. EVERYONE knows about it. Usually happens around 50K miles, but age is as important as mileage.

Mine went this summer (caught it before the leak got as bad as yours) on my '98 LS. Told me that GM was fixing approx. 800-1000 per WEEK. Car was in the shop for 2 1/2 days (they have to take 1/2 of the engine apart to get to the gaskets). Thank God I have the extended warranty because I paid for nothing. Interesting to know what it would have cost (almost as much as the extended warranty). Sorry to say, you're stuck and it's a genuine problem.
    Well, there it was, top of the 4th. Not at all what I expected. Malibu driving across the country??? Try driving 100 feet on an abandoned road. And 60 seconds??? Try 20.

VERY unimpressive. I'm almost embarrassed.

Checked gmbuypower.com this afternoon. My dealer finally got their 2nd, a red LT, weirdly optioned just like the one I drove. Meanwhile, the mega-dealer now has 22 (yes, 22) and the 3rd dealer fairly close to me now has 10. My dealer will be hearing from me about that this week, as I'm due for an oil change.
  • avemanaveman Member Posts: 122
    trainiac, you could try complaining to an area rep since it seems to be adesign flaw. Your problem is one of the only reasons I can think of why i would not buy a Malibu, th e GM powetrain warranty is not good enough.
  • jtrujillo86jtrujillo86 Member Posts: 300
    My baby was assembled in Oklahoma City, OK. as well. Mine may not be as 'solid' because of the accident, but then again it IS an American vehicle. It seems quality is like a hit or miss thing on all U.S. made vehicles...either quality is there or not; doesn't matter what model or price, IMHO of course.

...and Harry, how man miles do you have on yours?

Jeremy
  • mazdaprofourmazdaprofour Member Posts: 202
    Will someone please do the headlight dimming test that I had requested. I just need to know if anyone elses lights dim on their BU when they apply the breaks for a quick second. Thanks
    Jeremy, we've been thru this before. You already know the answer to that question. While the mileage is lo, the car is driven daily (except for some Sundays, like today, I'm too tired). Becasue it's all around-town mileage, you can basically double or triple my mileage to equate with highway miles.

In 4/00, my sister borrowed my car and managed to hit a 6" curb going about 20 mph on the driver's side. Car needed a front & rear alignment and a new rocker panel molding on that side. STILL no squeaks or rattles. Whenever I leave my community, I need to drive over 4 speed bumps. STILL no squeaks or rattles. The only thing I ever hear is a slight vibration from the sunroof liner, but that's ASC's fault, not GMs.

Other notes:
    GM promises that the 3500 V-6 in the new Bu is extensively reworked and won't have the gasket probs, etc. that the 3100 does. I believe them. Just looking at the engine, it looks nothing like mine. Fluid reservoirs are all in different places as well. GM needs to cut down on the number of warranty claims to make money on the new car, for sure, and I bet they do. Call me crazy, but I have a good feeling about the new car. After all, they plan to supercharge the 3500 for the G6, so it must be pretty darn good.
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    I will feel a lot better about GM cars in general when GM steps up to the plate and offers the 5/60 powertrain warranty that Toyota and others do. Or the 4/50 bumper to bumper warranty that Mazda does.

3/36 is skimpy. There must be a reason they offer it. 0 percent financing? I would really rather have a longer factory warranty. If the factory feels good enough to warrant the product longer, then there must be a reason. Conversely, when a company feels it must offer a shorter warranty, there must be reasons.
  • logic1logic1 Member Posts: 2,433
    I have broadband. When I went to the chevymalibu site, I had a long introduction, a two minute overview film, and an option to do a customized showing. To do the latter you need to answer six questions, then it shows you the configuration you may prefer.

Seems the dial up can only provide a brief glimpse, owing to limits of the technology.
    I have broadband. I found that to be about the most annoying, malfunctioning, STUPID website I have ever visited. VERY frustrating. So much so, that were I not totally interested in a Maxx, I might have said "If their cars are like that..."
    Right on. Dial-up users never get to the "six questions part", which is beyond absurd since 80% of households, like me, still use dial-up.

What's even more ridiculous is that the whole point of the ad (which was on tape, and I just watched it again) is to get viewers to log on for more info. Big screw-up.

Other notes from the ad:
    The one big remaining question I had about the new Bu is now answered, but you had to look VERY closely. The sunroof IS the "el cheapo" GM kind that goes over the rear section of the roof rather than into it. I HATE that. But, the GPs does it too.

The ad does plainly state that the all-new Malibu is nearly perfect. A bit overly conceited, don't you think?

The ad was a total waste of time and money. Let's hope Chevy is listening and cleans up both the subsequent ads and opens up the Web site.
  • regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    goes to show you the idiots that work in GM's marketing dept.

I think most marketing people are marketing stuff they have no clue about anyways. When they are trying to market stuff they have no clue about in the first place (c'mon, how many people with masters degrees in marketing actually even care about cars) then it just shows up even more when you see stuff like that really lame website.

Basically imagine a department of 1000 Ron Zarellas and that's most likely a typical automaker marketing department. They sure know toothpaste and contact lens eyewash.

I think most folks are frustrated with automaker web sites in general. Too complex. Too hard to manuever through. Too many pages.

What is most humorous is when you 'enlarge photos' and its still some grainy 400 pixel image. THIS? is enlarged?

You can generally get the best and most concise info and best images on the mfr's media sites but they seem to make you have 'credentials' to access them.
  • dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    Great site, very cool presentation.

John, what version of windows are you running? I have no problems, worked flawlessly.
    Windows XP Pro. Did you get to the six questions? Once I answered them, the site locked up and did nothing. Same on IE, Opera and Mozilla.
    Yup. You finish and the various video clips come up available to watch.

I ran it using XP and Fashmedia 6 flawlessly. Maybe it was down when you went to the site?
    Checked out the new Malibu yesterday, and I just can't believe this. The idiots are offering the neutral interior on the silver exterior. YUK!!

Another roadblock I may have, since I'm leaning toward silver.

P.S. The member didn't like the patterned headrests, either.
    It worked fine.

The problem with web-sites is not so much the marketing people as the tech people. Tech people always promise systems can do more than they actually can, given the limits of most people's home units.

The marketing people take the tech people on their word and come up with something that most systems cannot accomodate. Then, to meet deadline, the marketing people and the tech people have to scramble together to make something that works. The tech people always prevail in these scrambles. As techs know nothing marketing, the final product is compromised.
    Guess I have more patience today, or they fixed something since yesterday morning. (I'm running Windows XP Home and accessing the site thru AOL 9.0 dial-up, 56K modem).

The only part of the whole thing that I can only see in small size is the intro video. The rest is full-screen. I got thru the 6 questions, and then tried to store the responses in "My Garage". Kept getting "Registration Error", so it still needs more work. Had enuf of that for one day.
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,078
    That member on the GP forum was me, and yes, the silver car had a neutral interior. But that is not at all unique within GM. Before I bought my Intrigue I was looking at a silver Aurora that also had a neutral cabin, and saw a Saturn L200 in silver blue (a v. nice color BTW) with the same neutral innards - that one was hard to take. Thankfully my Tropic Teal Intrigue has a 2-tone "pewter" interior, which suits the paint quite well.

I'm not in the market for a car right now having just bought the Olds (and am quite happy with it), but I must admit I like the Malibu more than I anticipated and am looking forward to the Maxx in particular. They need to lose that patterned cloth on the headrests but aside from that I saw nothing that was a turn-off for me. I can only imagine how good it would have been with the Intrigue's 3.5L Shortstar. Never, never should have quit on that engine.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

that the Intrigue ultimately got the Shortstar because at first GM was about to put the 3.4L DOHC V-6 in it that I had in my '96 Monte Carlo Z34. What a lemon (was nearly killed in it). Only kept that just under 3 years as I truly feared for my life. Hence, the '98 Malibu (M/C was an early '96, the Mal a late '98).
    Saw the U.S. 04 Malibu ad tonight while watching the Bills kill the Redskins. Whoo hooo!

Great ad. Basically, come give the car a try. I like it better than the Canadian ad I saw a couple of weeks ago. chevymalibu.com was the end tag line which is good as the web presentation is excellent IMO.
  • regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    more than likely the scenario as you described it is true. tech folk prmising more than can be delivered.
    It has happened to me so much at work, I just have to believe it happens to others, even the General. I refuse to be paranoid and think the techies have it out for me.
    Can some people try the following. Turn on your bu and make sure it is dark out. Press the break pedal down. Do your headlights dim slightly at all for a second?
    I will try to remember to do your test tonite. No World Series game tonite, for a change. Not sure why no one else has....
  • dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    If I remember right, I think this topic wth the dimming headlights has been addressed over a year ago. I bellieve it has something to do with the alternator. i wouldn't worry too much about it In y Explorer, when I push on the pedal and I have the windshield wipers on, I can feel the motion of the wipers in the brake pedal. No big deal, it just makes you wonder .
    Thanks guys....any help would be appreciated on the headlight test
  • rwisemrwisem Member Posts: 96
    Well tonight I did the headlight test on our 2002 Malibu. I tried it both with the engine runnung and not running. The car was in the garage do I could easily tell if there was any difference in the brightness - there was absolutely none.
    Here's the deal: when I first apply the brakes, and hold my foot on the pedal, the headlights dim EVER SO SLIGHTLY for about 1/2 second and immediately return to full intensity. I never would've noticed had you not encouraged me.

Gave me a chance to make sure all exterior lights are in working order (they are), since I go in for an oil change Thurs. I DO have a strange problem that needs attention: both rear defroster wires have disattached themselves from the rear window grid. Guess it was the summer heat. First, the rearview mirror falls off three times, now this.

rwisem: How many vehicles do you own? Jeez, I thought the '02 went away, replaced by the '04!
    "Here's the deal: when I first apply the brakes, and hold my foot on the pedal, the headlights dim EVER SO SLIGHTLY for about 1/2 second and immediately return to full intensity. I never would've noticed had you not encouraged me".

This is eaxctly what I was talking about. I do not know what causes. I wish we had more people confirming this.

It will dim for like a NANO-second and return to full brightness.
    And, that MINOR dimming problem is nothing to worry about. On to the next issue, which is??
  • triedntrutriedntru Member Posts: 73
    I haven't visited this website in forever, but I was reading back, and I noticed in message #2636 you mentioned speculation about a Malibu SS.

I didn't realize there was any speculation, but that has been green-lighted for several months. I have no idea, though, what model year it will see production. But the plans are in place.
    Well, no one in this board has ever read that it was greenlighted. The only thing that we reached a consensus on was that there was a Maxx SS at the New York Show last April, but wasn't confirmed for production.

Where and when did you read it was greenlighted?

News of the supercharged 3500 just broke cover last month (for the G6). For sure, that'd be the engine in the SS if there was to be one.
    There is still deliberation on whether it will be called Malibu Maxx SS, or Malibu Maxx Sport.

I work at Fairfax, and I know they're planning to retool certain areas to accommodate the larger tires.

I really don't know what engine they'll put in it.
    Wow, a Fairfax insider. Just what this board needs. Thanks for connecting back in.

Seems like you folks are doing one heck of a darn good job so far. Keep it up (in my case at least for another year)!
  • micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    I read the one page first impressions article in Road and Track last night. They really like the chassis on the new Malibu - apparently it is very "European" in ride, being based on the Saab and Opel platforms. Yay! The November article confirmed my own test drive impressions of the chassis and handling.

In the NY Times today, there is an article on new electronic gizmos in cars. They mention that the electric steering in the Malibu is from Delphi Systems and is the first time it is sold in North America. Does this mean the Saturn uses a different system? Possibly. When I drove the Malibu 2004, it felt like normal power steeing. Although I haven't driven the Saturn Vue, the reviewers complained about it having a bad "feel". (In Road and Track, they said the 4 cylinder Malibu had perfect feeling power steering, the 6 needed some further tuning - it worked fine, just was adjusted too strong, I guess.)
    I thought the VUE/ION used delphi systems also. I noticed nothing in the VUE I tested last year. It's a better system and I think you will see it coming in many new GM cars.
    Working at Fairfax, I wonder if you can do me a big favor? I'd like to get one of those GM/UAW/Fairfax stickers that are mounted on the door jamb. The one on my Intrigue got peeled away somehow.

If you can help, you can drop me an email (it's in my profile). Thanks!

Since we're already asking for favors, can you tell us when the Maxx is scheduled to start production?

I recall the sedan began on 8/11, but it took most of us until late Sept. to actually see one.

Assuming it begins next month, it'll be at least Dec. (or Jan.) before they arrive in any quantity.

I HOPE Chevy (you have nothing to do with this, obviously) has a "prototype" at the Miami Int'l Auto Show in 2 1/2 weeks (probably the same one that was in NY).

Thanks.
  • marshellamarshella Member Posts: 11
    I have a 2002 Malibu with CD player. Crutchfields says there are only cassette receivers available for my car because the depth of the car stereo slot in the dash is only 6 1/4" deep. And all/most other CD receivers are too deep for that. What is blocking that area? Can it be enlarged? Is there another stereo on the market that will fit in there that has more features (remote, MP3 upgradeable to satellite)? Thanks for anyone who can help!
    Marshella
    ab348:
    From what I understand, the sticker on the door jamb is different for the Malibu. They recently had a design contest where employees could submit their design for the new sticker. However, if you see an 04 Malibu and it has the sticker you desire, let me know and maybe I can obtain one. Just out of curiosity, why is the sticker such a desired item?

wpbharry:
    The Maxx has slowly been ramping up in production for the last 2 weeks. I think your Dec - Jan prediction is probably accurate, but don't hold me to it!
    When I had my '96 Monte Carlo (with the same stereo as in my '98 Malibu; however, in the Bu, I have a remote cassette, which was N/A in the Monte), I discovered that Pioneer had introduced a line specifically as replacement for the subject GM unit. That was back in '97, however. Also, while your unit is the exact same size as mine, it is different (RDS, etc.).

Before others chime in, you might want to review the posts over the last 2-3 weeks, since we dealt with the issue to some degree already (with cautioning as part of the advice).
    Good news on the Maxx! I might just wait to test until the Maxx is out as that is what I am really interested in. Hopefully they will be out around the holiday season when I have more time.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    The "Search This Discussion" box on the page bar is an often overlooked, yet very helpful feature. :)
  • jerrywimerjerrywimer Member Posts: 588
    My 1997 did the same thing with the lights whenever the brakes were pressed or the steering wheel was turned (especially when the car was sitting still).

I always thought (and still do) that it was just because both the brakes and the power steering both run off of the engine, using pulleys and the serpentine belt (1 only, in the original Malibu, don't know yet about the new one, but I WILL ;o) ). When you apply the brakes, or turn the steering wheel while the car is sitting still (more resistance at the tires for a nonmoving vehicle), the parts responsible for the 'power assist' add extra strain on the drive belt, slowing down the belt (and by a very miniscule amount, the engine). Since the alternator is driven by the same belt, it also slows down.

Why would this affect the lights? The battery doesn't power your lights when the engine is running (er, unless your alternator is dead, which I had happen 3x with my 1997). Instead, the alternator provides the juice, as well as recharges the battery. The reason the lights only dim for an instant is that the engine management computer senses the decrease in RPMs and automatically compensates (more fuel / air?) to restore the original idle speed.

I noticed my tach would drop just slightly at the same time as my lights dimmed, and this was a pretty solid giveaway as to what was happening.

BTW, it shouldn't be a big deal.

[Opinion]It just says that the 'heavy duty' alternator on our cars isn't quite so heavy duty, at least when you consider all the electrical load on it is enough to cause the lights to dim slightly when the engine RPM drops just for an instant. I might be a bit biased about this part though, as the alternator really was the worst part of the car I had (with the 3 failures, one during a road trip, which coincidentally jeremy, made a wicked noise under my hood due to the brushes doing something in the alternator casing).[/Opinion]
    Thanks for that info on the sticker. Why is it so important? Only because I'm anal... ;-) I just got my new-to-me Intrigue and I want it to be perfect. I know that's crazy but there you go. :)

I'll check out the Malibu and see what that one looks like.

• marshellamarshella Member Posts: 11
    That's funny. I did search. For terms of "stereo replacement" and "stereo replace malibu" and could only come up with like 4 results. Maybe I used the wrong term. Perhaps I need to search for radio? I don't know? I'll try that.
    Marshella
This discussion has been closed.