Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2000-2011 Chevrolet Malibu

Comments

• dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    I wish the problem with the brakes warping was an over ambicious mechanic over tightening the lug nuts. It has been documented on this board that the rotors and the brake system are a weak pint for this vehicle. This was even admitted to me by the service manager when I had the rotors replaced in my 2001 Malibu. If you can get 30k miles out of the rotors, you are doing good.
  • tgp1810tgp1810 Member Posts: 112
    How is the ride of the Malibu? Anything like the Mazda 6?
  • breetai52breetai52 Member Posts: 91
    Yeah the only thing I don't like about the malibu interior is the steering wheel! And thats the only thing they share! Oh well, I won't be in the market for a while anyway,
  • dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    Have not driven a 6, but I would guess the 6 would have a slightly stiffer suspension. Ride quality on the Malibu is excellent though.
  • deminindeminin Member Posts: 214
    By all means...if you are sure that the mechanic used an impact wrench on your wheels, take it back and insist that he do it properly. If you have the aluminum wheels, it is doubly important, because the wheels can warp and the lugnuts loosen if not tightened properly. The only way to do it, and this applies to ALL aluminum/mag wheels, is to first torque them to about 70ft. lbs., in a star-every other-lugnut pattern, them go back and retorque in the same sequence to 100ft. lbs. Almost every car owners manual I've ever seen, requires hand torqueing. If you have a shop that is using an impact wrench, they just usually go around the wheel, hitting each lugnut in turn. This will almost guarantee future wheel and brake problems. They do it this way because it is faster and easier, and by the time you start having troubles, you probably won't come back to them..so why should they care? Quite frankly, the only generic auto shops I've seen who routinely hand-torque are Sears and Walmart.
  • micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    If so, what's it like?
    No, I drove an LS. They had some 4's but we have an Alero with an Ecotec so I figured the base would have about the same power (which is decent). I think a 4 would be a great bargain if you are looking for a base car. Otherwise go 6 / LS as the mileage is the same and you get extra goodies for not much more $$.
  • chevyguy657chevyguy657 Member Posts: 216
    by the lack of reporting from '04 owners. I guess I should assume that no news is good news. Is it?

The '04 Malibu LT (and possibly the Maxx, which I haven't seen in person yet) is a front-runner for purchase next summer, IF GM gets on with higher rebates. They just renewed the $1,000 cash back thru 3/31, and I won't bite at less than $2,500.

As a current Chevy owner, the least GM could do is offer a customer loyalty bonus, as many other mfrs. are currently doing. Sure they want new conquest sales, but shouldn't they also try to hang on to what they have currently as well? Dumb, very dumb.
    If you were GM and the car was selling well, would you offer more rebates for no reason????? Does Honda or VW do this???
  • jtrujillo86jtrujillo86 Member Posts: 300
    I don't see that the new Bu is selling very well (or much at all). Still haven't seen one on the road and local dealers have as many as 40 sedans on the lot.

jtrujillo: WHAT do you agree with?

dindak: The new Bu doesn't compete with Honda, really. It does compete with the Hyundai Sonata, and Hyundai has a great loyalty bonus, although I don't want a Hyundai. GM had a loyalty bonus a year ago, FYI. The new Bu (LT sedan) is overpriced by $2-3K. I'm not biting without a big rebate, since the depreciation on the Bu is one of the worst going, and because GM kept the Bu name, the new one will follow suit, like our '00 LS is practically worthless (but I do like the new Bu).
    Maybe your name should be Hyundai guy. You sounds like someone who wants an new Malibu at an Old Malibu price. Not going to happen.

New Bu competes directly with Accord and all other midsize sedans.
    As I said, I have no intention of buying a Hyundai.

The Malibu is a Tier 2 entry mid-size vehicle, competing with the likes of the Sebring/Stratus, Taurus (for now), Galant, Sonata/Optima and possibly the Mazda 6.

I'll be interested to see how many Tier 1 (Accord, Camry and Altima) conquest sales are achieved.

The old Malibu had $3,000 rebates (the Impala right now has $4,000) and awful depreciation. Until someone can intelligently convince me that the new Bu will not suffer the depreciation slide that the old one did, yes, I want a new Bu at the old Bu price (plus a fair amount for inflation, NOT a $3,500 price hike, increased equipment levels aside). I don't want an across-the-board rebate, but I do think GM should try to hold on to us current owners, and a loyalty bonus would make up for some of the hit in the pocket that we're suffering.

I was hoping that the new Bu's intro would kick up resale values of the "Classic", but it's only gotten worse, not any better.

I'm trying to stick with Chevy, since I really like my dealer and have had Chevys for years.

I'll bet come June/July we'll see Chevy throw us a bigger bone.
    I was saying that I agree with what was in post 3403.
    Sorry, but I've spent HOURS over the last few weeks reading posts, and just registered since I'm finally in the market for real (didn't feel the need to post before I was in the market). I'd forgotten that you're the proud owner of an also-valueless (nearly) Intrigue, thanks to the dissolution of Olds.

How can you not be on my side? Don't you feel you deserve a big fat loyalty bonus as well? I sure do, both for you AND for me.
  • bcmalibu99lsbcmalibu99ls Member Posts: 625
    then hold on to your cars until they die. It's cheaper to spend 250 bucks each month on repairs, than 350 bucks each months as a new car payment. Plus, higher insurance. If you keep your cars for 10-15 years, depreciation means absolutely nothing. If you want a new car every three years, be prepared to pay accordingly
    Valid point, with a few exceptions.

Those of us working for a living don't have time to deal with constant and nagging car repairs. It equals lost wages. Time is money, remember?

MOST vehicles (including the Impala, which I don't want since it's to be redone for '06) hold their value a LOT better than the last Malibu has. So, my whining about depreciation is valid, since the last Malibu depreciated way too much way too fast. And I want some compensation from GM if they want to retain my biz.
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    Do you have a GM credit card? That will equal a reward of at least $1000 off of any new GM car, or if you have the old style of GM card (no longer offered) you can get up to $3500 off.

I've got $2600 on my GM card now, and the car I guess I'd probably most be interested is the new Malibu, but the lack of a 5-speed manual transmission is a definite minus for me. I know that the number of people who drive manuals is now very, very small, but I could still get one on my Accord, so why not on a Malibu?
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
    "Don't you feel you deserve a big fat loyalty bonus as well"?

No. I like that I got one but I don't feel like I "deserve one". If I am happy with any product and I feel I have been treated well by the company I will go back. GM has made me some good cars as of late and my dealership is honest and tries hard. I'm not owed anything. If anything, the good treatment has created a lot of loyalty. Hey, that's just me though.. if you feel like you are "owed" something that's fine.

As for your tiers, it's all arbitrary. Fact is, the Malibu is a midsize competitor to the Accord.
    dindak, you are a "different" one ;). Must be wealthy (GM DOES owe us; that was pretty pathetic, if I do say so). Enough of that.

Yes, the Malibu does compete with the Accord, but Lutz seems to think it's on a level with the Accord, which it's not. THAT was my point. Accord is having problems, but the resale value is still there. I don't want to write a check to help pay for one and tie my money up until trade-in time (especially during an up market). That's the problem with the Accord.

benjaminh: Yeah, yeah, I do have a GM Card (have had one for 12 years). I have over $3,000 in Earnings on mine, but they talked me into switching 3 years ago to the "New One" since I always rack up over $500 in Earnings per year. Six in one, half dozen the other, had I not done that, I'd only have $1,500. BUT I can only use $1,000 (another GM blunder) and that will pay for the Extended Warranty that I must have. So I still need more GM favors.
    "you are a different one"

Whatever you say.

"Lutz seems to think it's on a level with the Accord, which it's not"

Consumer Reports and Motor Trend seem to think its on the same level. I tend to agree for the most part.
    don't care a bit about a large multinational corp when it comes to one's own wallet or pocketbook. I'd venture 99% of folks feel that way, including myself, but obviously not you. So dealer service is worth $3-5K to you? LOL, now really. Maybe you're not wealthy, but bet you own a ton of GM stock. Only other explanation would be irrationality, but I'm not going to go there.

I've read all of the media reports, print and on-line. Most car buyers don't. So resale will still tank, because the mass-market will hear the name "Malibu" and think of the old one (mine). Justification for a $3K rebate or $2K owner loyalty bonus (plus the rebate) based on that alone, and I'm sure nearly everyone agrees with me (except you and probably one other notorious but recently quiet member; no names).

Unfortunately, the only way the new Bu will establish a credible track record is after 4 or 5 unblemished years. In the meantime, it's way overpriced.
    "it's way overpriced"

Wow, CR and MT call it a screaming bargain. We must all be missing something huh?

"don't care a bit about a large multinational corp"

Did I say I did?? All I said was, I don't feel like GM owes be a "big fat rebate". How that translates to I'm rich, have lots of GM stock and love big corporations I do not know??
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Folks, lets stick to the cars ... there's no reason to get into these personal asides.

Thanks.
    Sorry Host, new to this. BUT, I'm not trying to attack anyone.

Sticking to the Malibu, CR and MT both tested versions that were less-than-loaded versions.

And I have a bone to pick with both because of that. Almost wrote a letter to MT.

CR picked a nearly base LS and then listed it with a $28K Impala. The Optima, Taurus, Impala and GP were all much more "equipped". MT compared a $24.5K LT with "super-loaded" versions of the Camry, Accord and Galant.

In neither case was the playing field level.

C&D tested a nearly loaded LT and suggested that the bribery will continue. Not yet, in any worthwhile amount.

The media needs to wait for comparable versions to be available (remember the C&D fiasco last year with 4s, 6s, manuals and autos? Irrelevant article, IMO.).

Which brings me to another point. The Malibu plant is working overtime. Not because of sales to consumers, but because launch was so slow (like it is with the Maxx right now), they're trying to build up dealer inventories. Hopefully they'll do that to the point that big rebates are a necessity. ;-)
  • tomcat630tomcat630 Member Posts: 854
    A slow launch is better than the usual recalls!
  • triedntrutriedntru Member Posts: 73
    "The Malibu plant is working overtime. Not because of sales to consumers, but because launch was so slow (like it is with the Maxx right now)..."

Where do you come up with this stuff? What FACTS do you have to support this statement?

Swallow this: The Fairfax plant hit the launch at a 93rd percentile in terms of volume and duration when compared to the INDUSTRY. Not just GM. THE INDUSTRY. Fairfax is now the BENCHMARK for all other GM vehicle launches!

We are on top of the curve, and yet we're still running daily overtime and several weekends to meet the demand. Let me make this ridiculously clear: THE OVERTIME IS TO MEET ADDITIONAL DEMAND, NOT TO MAKE SCHEDULE.

Now, as for the Maxx, it's only about one third of total production, so of course it's going to seem slower. It's a lower volume vehicle! Still, this car wasn't expected to hit market until Spring, yet they were hitting dealerships in December! Pretty slow, huh? Considering the Maxx launch started in December...

Customer loyalty? Try that one in your local WalMart.

Anyways, try sticking to facts. They can be pretty useful sometimes. Dumb, very dumb.
    One can pick apart any comparison but the point is, the Malibu is a very competitive car and even GMs harshest critics seem to agree this is a solid effort. While I am certainly not saying it's the best car out there, I do think it will sell very well with less in the way of incentives. Thats my opinion from what I have seen, read and observed.

If you don't think GM isn't being fair to you not giving to "fat rebates' then maybe you should go where you think the grass is greener.
    I DO agree with some recent posts that a slow launch is better than recalls, so folks have misunderstood my intent re: my post regarding launch speed.

As I said before, I've not seen a single one (sedan or Maxx) on the road to date.

I have 3 dealers within reasonable proximity. One has 39 sedans on the lot, and I think 15 or 16 Maxxes. The other two, smaller dealers have no Maxxes (understandable) and only 2 sedans and 4 sedans. That's not much of a selection. The demand at the plant is obviously in large part dealer orders to add to inventory on the lot. My dealer in particular (one of the smaller ones) has sold one, and is desperate to get a broder selection on the lot. The orders have been in for quite a while, but the vehicles are slow to show up. I'm not complaining, but that's a fact.

So, I do have facts, locally-based obviously. Perhaps the GM site has info on 4th quarter sales (consumer sales, not factory production), but I haven't been able to find any info.

As far as loyalty, if GM doesn't respect my business (and they've gotten a lot of it), then I for sure WILL go elsewhere (and ditch my GM stock and my GM Card, and write a letter to top management).
    Larger local dealers are often distribution points for cars going to other dealers. Those 39 cars you counted may not all be for that particular store. Local observations are hardly scientific.

As for your loyalty issues, you will not find the grass to be greener elsewhere. Expecting "fat rebates" on a new model for your "loyalty" is fantasy.
    The only way for GM to increase market share is to BOTH retain current customers and garner conquest sales from other manufacturers.

For the record, GM had a customer loyalty bonus late last spring/early summer (forget for how long; also don't recall the $ amount, but it was at least $1,000). Chrysler now has one in place. Hyundai has one as well, to the tune of $1,500.

I'm not yet at the point where I've priced vehicles other than the Malibu, Maxx and Accord, so I can't say if other mfrs. have a loyaty incentive at the moment. It's likely.

As a further note re: a prior post, I don't recall Wal-Mart having items for sale in the neighborhood of $25,000. Customer loyalty, it would seem, is more important with car purchases than with tea kettle purchases. There's a lot more at stake for the consumer and manufacturer.

I saw on a web site today that GM had a slump in December, while Chrysler had gains. Don't read into this, I'm not sure why.

dindak, if you want to buy an overpriced vehicle and then suffer the depreciation woes like I have, by all means go for it. I won't. Just don't start complaining after the fact, OK?

P.S. I agree with you about dealer distribution networks, but in this case, this is the largest dealer in South Florida, and they don't distribute to other dealers. Personally, I hate "supermarket dealers" (this one sells about 15 brands).
  • regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    "New Bu competes directly with Accord and all other midsize sedans."

its then unfortunate its engine is not the equal of the Accord and others like Altima.

I had hoped to test drive a bu this wkd so i stopped by the dealer, but was then running short on time (had to meet the BIL at home depot) so I couldn't drive one. But sitting in one turned me off, I just don't think I can go through with it. Sat in the Impala SS and GP also and had to get out!

Anyways, while I am on record saying the 'design' of the interior (general shapes and lines) is good, its the cheapness that leaves a bigger impression.

THe plastic and switchgear and soft squishy seats. They need to fix it!
  • logic1logic1 Member Posts: 2,433
    "just don't think I can go through with it"

Give me a break!

"Sat in the Impala and had to get out"

Ok, that I will agree with you on!

"plastic and switchgear and soft squishy seats"

Colors are not great but the switch are very good and the seats are as good any midsize.
    logic: Obviously reg's dealer sells both Chevys and Pontiacs. Not unusual.

dindak: I see that you're stating on the G6 thread that an estimated $28-29K loaded G6 would sell for $24-25K. Why then shouldn't a $25.7K Bu sell for $21-21.5K? Hmm? Right now it sells for about $23.3K with rebate.

Both the Maxx and Equinox threads are also complaining about Chevy's overpricing (Cobalt too, but that's a hypothesis).

I had time this afternoon to research the top-of-the-line Hyundai Sonata. Very well-equipped, stickers for $19K after rebate. I take back what I said before. Might happen. Still prefer the Bu if the price gets fixed somehow.

Based on recent info that a member posted in the Maxx forum, I'm leaning towards the sedan. Too little room behind the Maxx rear seat, apparently.

Any of you that own a '97 or early '98 Bu should pay attention to the "read-only" forum that someone created today re: a recall for power steering issues.
    "Right now it sells for about $23.3K with rebate".

Try negotiating. That said, 21K is a higher % discount. Should be able to get 10% + $1000 cash rebate off though.

"19K after rebate"

Go buy it if it's such a bargain.
    As of mid-December, the last time I was at my dealer, they were quoting $1,400 off the $25,720 Bu on the showroom floor.

The "supermarket" dealer fairly nearby runs ads for about the same (maybe $100 more off).

I'd like to see you get 10% off plus $1,000. That's below invoice (before the rebate). I don't have the figures handy, but, per Edmund's the invoice is approx. $23.7 on the loaded LT sedan; 10% off would equate to $23,130. Lots of luck.

By the way, my only problem with the Hyundai is it seems as if it might be a bit underpowered, but on paper, it's not far off the mark from my '00 LS. 4-year old loaded Sonatas also have a $2,000 higher resale value than my Bu.
  • logic1logic1 Member Posts: 2,433
    most Pontiac dealers now are combined with Buick and GMC. Chevrolet dealers are mostly stand alone.
    The $1000 I was referring to was current U.S. GM cash back, not from the dealer.

Go buy the Hyundai, it's cheaper. Then you can be Hyundaiman.
  • motownusamotownusa Member Posts: 836
    Right now Hyundai's reliability is as good as GM's if not better. True the Sonata has 30 less Hp compare to the Chevy but budget minded customers aren't concerned with neck snapping accelaration anyway. Plus, the loaded Sonata's interior actually looks better than the Malibu
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Yes, I know this isnt the comparisons thread, but I'd pick the Malibu over the Sonata, and if I was really concerned about the quality, I'd pick up one of GMs extended warrantys. The interior (beige) of the Malibu is actually pretty nice, IMO, and I like the optional seating upholstery better than the somewhat cheap leather of the Sonata. What really clinches the victory for the Malibu, though, is the acceleration/fuel economy tradeoff.... The Malibu accelerates well (not as well as the Accord V6/Altima V6/Camry 3.3L) but delievers MPGs better than competing 4s, whereas the Sonatas 2.7L is slow and drinks like the better V8s (according to Consumer Reports).

~alpha
    Hyundai finishes behind Chevy in virtually every quality / reliability category I have seen. They are better than they used to be but they still are generally average or below.
  • tomcat630tomcat630 Member Posts: 854
    "Right now Hyundai's reliability is as good as GM's if not better"

Definitley NOT better, look at JD Power and Consumer Reports. Also, in forum 'real world trade in values, an experianced wholesaler says they are still coming into auctions with defects, and not getting good resale.

The whole "...and now the Koreans are better then domestics..." is pure drival.
    Swamped today; sorry it took me a while to check back in.

dindak, for what it's worth, the $1,000 I was referring to also was the cash back. So what's the point? You'll never get the figures you're talking about, unless GM ups the cash back. By the way, I tried to determine if GM still has the Olds Owner Loyalty program (they did last month), but can't find it mentioned anywhere. If they do, you may luck out. And I'll bet you don't complain a whit. Maybe you'll just say "no thanks" to the loyalty bonus? Yeah, right.

You seem to have a childish fetish with calling me Hyundaiman.

I was afraid if I mentioned the Sonata one more time, it'd begin a comparisons chat, and this is not the place. So, I'll post my follow-up comments in the correct place. If interested, meet me there.
    How do I now have a fetish??

You should be able to get invoice + a few hundred and less $1000. Invoice is typically 9-10% less than list. Up here, invoice #s aren't available so you have to guess.

Olds Loyalty is good till 2005 if you have it.
    I'm not being funny. Rather, I'm trying to stick with Chevy at a fair price, which is not the case right now.

You should be able to closely approximate invoice based on the US invoice and converting it into Canadian currency.

Assuming Edmund's figures are spot-on, the $25.7K LT has an invoice of roughly $23.7. Possibly because it's brand new, dealers around here all want roughly $600 over invoice, so you're up to $24.3. Then minus the $1,000, and you get my $23.3. As I recently posted in the Comparison forum, that compares to about $17K for a comparable (but with less features, of course) loaded '03 LS out-the-door after last year's incentives. $6,000 (barring any further '04 price increases, which are probable) is absurd. The '04 is not worth $6,000 over the '03, IMO.

So how much is the Olds loyalty bonus?
  • regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    "How could you have sat in a GP at a Chevrolet dealer"

ummm, because they sell chevys and pontiucks.

malibu, gp, impala, all in a row. I HAD TO GET OUT!

sorry, soft seats.

chevyguy, my own take is that the Malibu is likely a more satisfying car than the Hyundai, but either car should be decently reliable. There are likely some other sedans out there for you to consider in the high teens, low 20's range. Of course, I know you have some preferences. But I think there's some other good choices out there.
    Old Malibu was not a great car and was old so it needed incentives to sell. New one is much better and selling so needs less incentives. Is that so hard to understand?

Got my smashed off mirror fixed today and noticed they had 1 Malibu on the lot. Car is selling well in these parts. Also sat in a Chev/Daewoo Optra (only in Canada). Pretty decent car for not much money (around U$12K+). Even had an MP3 player in it standard. Definitely aimed at 18-25 crowd.

http://www.gmcanada.com/english/vehicles/chevrolet/optra/optr_ove- - - rview.html
    Wow Reg, I'm surprised you even stepped foot onto a GM Showroom considering you hate all pushrod engines.

BTW aren't the majority of the engines GM manufactures, including those in the GP and Malibu, pushrods??

Jeremy
This discussion has been closed.