Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2000-2011 Chevrolet Malibu

Comments

• bcmalibu99lsbcmalibu99ls Member Posts: 625
    From what I've read, it would take around 100K miles to break even when you consider a price premium on hybrid vehicles. However, a clear advantage of hybrids is a vastly increased driving range and cleaner exhaust (that too is important to many people and beneficial to all of us who breathe air).

And, of course, if you drive a cab or a delivery vehicle, then 100K could be reached within a year, and hybrids would save you a pretty penny

Finally, as with any new technology, hybrids will become cheaper in a few years, and the price premium won't be as relatively large as it is right now
  • 37453745 Member Posts: 152
    My 04 Ecotec powered Malibu is reporting 38.5mpg on level stretches of the freeway. On one long gradual downgrade over several miles it was reporting 40.2mpg. So unless the computer is defective, which seems not to be, (borne out by the infrequent times I have to fill up with gas) my car is approching figures given out by Toyota for their hybrids. This is with the aircon ON!

Plus, performance is much better than the Prius. The inside of the tailpipe is as clean as the day I bought the car with no sign of carbon at all after 3000 miles. That is real clean burning. As far as I am concerned, the hybrid concept is a waste of time.
  • venus537venus537 Member Posts: 1,443
    i think i caught the same story and thought it was a little misleading.

the mileage figures honda and toyota "advertise" come from the EPA and by federal law they have to use their numbers even if they're too optimistic. apparently because of the way hybrids work, those dynomometer tests aren't too accurate.

and i thought it was a little funny when they were talking about the new prius they were showing footage of the old prius. i guess the editor isn't into cars.
  • tamu2002tamu2002 Member Posts: 758
    Just came back from an 800 mile vacation. We drove through sunshine and rain, and got 29-32 mpg with ~32 psi tire pressure in 80 plus degree weather at 75-80 mph speeds with a lot of AC usage. Again we only have good things to say about our 02 Malibu LS.

Yes BC, we'll be moving to the Seattle area, indeed very close to you. Is it really as rainy there as the legend says? We've got several deep scratches on our Malibu, hope the rusting won't be too bad. BTW, are domestic brand minivans relatively cheaper there compared to other parts of the US? I know you're in Canada, but any thoughts? Figured with the imports being generally more popular in that region, we might find a killer deal on a Venture or something.

Hi deminin, are you in Missouri? We just came back from a vacation in St. Louis. Got on top of the Arch the first night we got there and the next day several tornados touched down! Glad we weren't up there when the storms hit. It was scary enough on a calm night :) It was just a breath taking architecture! Glad we went to see it. To keep us on topic, I noticed our tires have tiny shallow cracks all over the place at the base of the grooves, is this something we should be concerned about? They feel completely normal though. Maybe we could convince the dealer the replace them for free under warranty on the basis of premature wear?
    It's hardly a secret that hybrids don't have nearly the efficiency as the EPA suggests. But everything else being equal, I'd still take a hybrid over a internal combustion. "everything else being equal" is the key though...
    But hybrid is internal combustion. The primary source of power is a gasoline engine and then only a puny 76hp one as in the case of the Prius. The combined power with the electric motor is 110hp. Under sustained load as with going up a long incline the batteries soon become depleted and you are back to 76hp. Switch on the A/C and then where are you? Much is made of the fact that downhill regenerative braking is used and the battery recharges. Just remember that to go downhill you must go uphill.

The law of physics also applies to hybrids. You only get out what you put in. That is, 76hp in, 76hp out. Period!

In the 1960's my 950cc Renualt Dauphine was getting 52mpg and that was with my wife and 2 kids and a load of luggage. Hybrid figures do not impress me at all.
    I second your assessment. Hybrid is indeed a combo of two types of engines. The hybrid figures are pathetic considering the hype. That said I think I'd still pick a hybrid Malibu for the marginally better mileage if performance, utility, and cost don't suffer.

Those were some mighty impressive mileage figures you got with your 04 Malibu. It's a 4-cyl right? What's the horsepower and displacement?
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Im not really sure what you're talking about, although it seems you are comparing the Consumer Reports figure for city fuel economy of the Prius Hybrid and the Malibu highway experience of some people here. Additionally, it sure seems there are a lot of band wagoneers here who cant present facts to back up their anti-hybrid assertions. Lucky for me, I can:

Here are the numbers FROM Consumer Reports:

Toyota Prius May 2004
    Combined 44 MPG
    City 35 MPG
    Highway 50 MPG

Chevy Malibu 4 cylinder May 2004
    Combined 24 MPG
    City 18 MPG
    Highway 36 MPG

Chevy Malibu V6 Jan 2004
    Combined 26 MPG
    City 18 MPG
    Highway 38MPG

Certainly, the Malibu (GM) should be commended for comparatively sparing fuel use, but the Prius' 18 to 20 MPG advantage in combined driving is DEFINITELY an appreciable difference.

Based on the figures of Consumer Reports, over 15,000 miles:
    The Prius uses 341 gallons of gas, and at a cost (2.05/gal) = $700
    The Malibu V6 uses 577 gallons of gas, and at a cost (2.05/gal) = $1183

Now, a moderately optioned Malibu LS V6 and a moderately optioned Prius both cost about $22,000-$23,000.

So its really not a lot extra for the Prius, its just a question of whether you'd like to get to 60 2 seconds faster in the Malibu, at a cost of $483/year, not accounting for the time value of money.

Conversely, you could opt. for a 4 cylinder Malibu, which is about 2 grand cheaper on MSRP than a comparably equipped Prius. This will achieve acceleration that is, give or take a few tenths, fairly identical to that of the Prius. Without going through the math, because the 4 cylinder has to work harder than V6, CR achieved better figures with the V6. In terms of the Malibu 4 vs. the Prius, it would take less than 4 years of fuel consumption at 15,000 miles per year for one to recoup the initial $2000 difference in price. Finally, resale value on the Prius is a bit better, AND the Malibu runs out of powertrain warranty 24,000 miles sooner.

~alpha
    I stick by my figures. My friend has a 2004 Prius and he says the highway experience SUCKS! Crosswinds are also a constant hazard and he is not the only one who has commented on that. I'd rather drive my Ecotec Malibu and pay slightly more for gas than have a bad ride over a long distance. Hybrids are ok for short commutes I suppose but that's where it ends. As for acceleration, when it comes to a long sustained uphill pull, I'm afraid the Ecotec Malibu will be leaving the Prius far behind once the Prius's wretched little batteries are depleted. While the 4cyl. Malibu still has 145hp, the Prius is left with 76hp. Go figure....

To tamu2002, the Ecotec Malibu is 2.2L and develops 145hp. I drove my friends 2004 4cyl. Toyota Camry to compare power with the 4cyl. Malibu. The 4cyl. Camry is 157hp. Both cars weigh about the same. The Malibu was only slightly down on power compared to the Camry. However, the Malibu has a softer ride which is what I prefer. Also, both cars do about 2200rpm at 65mph. which is just loafing along. I don't think there is much wear and tear at that rpm.
  • sjtsjt Member Posts: 3
    seat belt problems, this is one you want to have fixed. Another example of why to wait a year before buying a new model.

-S

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/nhtsa/announce/press/pressdisplay.cfm?ye- ar=2004&filename=pr24-04.html
    Your price comparison of Prius vs Malibu is somewhat incorrect, as you are comparing MSRPs, and it is not a secret that a Malibu could be had for several thousand less than MSRP (plus your GM card earnings, plus all the discounts from GM, plus zero % financing...), while Prius not only sells above MSRP with a substantial waiting time, but also carries financing % with it, and good luck getting any discounts from Toyota. The best you might get is a reduction in finacing % from 5.9% to 3.9% or something like that.

Finally, Toyotas are generally more expensive to repair than Chevys, so one needs to take that factor into consideration as well

But I do commend Toyota for making quality vehicles and agressively pursuing the hybrid technology. At the same time, Malibu is a viable and a more affordable alternative
    Deletions

Exterior color (28U) Navy Blue Metallic
      (WBP) California Package

New Features

Exterior color (25U) Dark Blue Metallic

(AY0) Side air bags, head curtain and seat-mounted side-impact for driver and right front passenger

Changes

Added 1SC Equipment Group to Malibu Base Sedan

Brakes on Sedan Models: (J41) Front disc/rear drum now standard on Base model. (JM4) 4-wheel antilock, front disc/rear drum now available on Base model. (J67) 4-wheel antilock, 4-wheel disc now standard on LS and LT models.
  • triedntrutriedntru Member Posts: 73
    I think we talked about the seatbelt recall several postings ago. The quality supervisor over that area of the plant knew my wife and I had bought a Malibu, so he gave us the parts and showed us how to fix it.

It's really quite simple to fix, and I almost wish they would mail these out rather than have customers wait hours at the dealership for a 5-minute fix.

The problem is that there is a service button on one of the anchor points for the seatbelt. I guess this is used to get the seatbelt out of the way if you ever want to take the front seat completely out. In side collision testing, GM noticed there was a remote chance in a high-speed side impact that debris could depress that button.

The fix is to put a little white plastic tab (about an inch long) into the mechanism that prevents the button from being depressed. I guess if you still need to depress the button you first have to use a screwdriver to pop the tab out.

All vehicles that are on the lot should have these tabs already installed. This was initiated by GM months ago.

Now, get this:
    Remember a while back when we were discussing the radio settings / key fob phenomenon? Basically, it was a personalization feature where the radio presets were determined by which key fob unlocked the doors. It turns out this feature was poorly communicated to customers (hence its discussion here) and it actually affected JD Power figures. People thought their radio was going wacko and reported it as a "problem."

So, now I'm wondering whether GM will try to inform customers of this feature or just remove it entirely from future models. I like the feature, because I like to listen to talk radio, and my wife prefers "Delilah." What is your opinion out there? Is this a feature worth keeping?

Also, if anyone is shopping for a GM vehicle, they extended the "GM in the Driveway" program, where they allow us employees to give out authorization numbers that allow people to buy vehicles at the supplier discount. I don't get anything out of it, other than just feeling good that I helped somebody save some cash. It can easily save people another 1-2k in addition to any current incentives. If anyone's interested, just send an e-mail my way.

Dave
    First Dave, could I have one of your vouchers please? I'm looking into a Venture minivan. I can use it on a minivan too right? Please let me know how I can get in touch with you. Appreciate it!

Alpha, I don't think anyone is trying to bash Toyota for making hybrids. Of course it's a commendable thing to do. A bunch of us just wish
    its fuel efficiency were better. Also, I think you got the prius' high way and city figures reversed. The Prius has a better mileage for city driving. You also got the Malibu 4-cy and 6-cy figures the other way around. But anyway, if you compare the highway mileage of the Malibu (36 for the 6-cy and 38 for the 4-cy) to that of the Prius (35), don't you agree the Prius' number is a little pathetic? Like I said
    I'd still take a hybrid for the much improved city and combined mileage "everything else being equal", but you can't really fault people for finding the Prius fall short of expectation.
  • kartorkartor Member Posts: 1
    Dave,

I'm thinking seriously of buying a Malibu LT, 2004 model, before August 1. I'd appreciate very much receiving an authorization number, which would sweeten the pot considerably.

Thank you,

Don
    I think we talked about the seatbelt recall several postings ago. The quality supervisor over that area of the plant knew my wife and I had bought a Malibu, so he gave us the parts and showed us how to fix it.

It's really quite simple to fix, and I almost wish they would mail these out rather than have customers wait hours at the dealership for a 5-minute fix.

The problem is that there is a service button on one of the anchor points for the seatbelt. I guess this is used to get the seatbelt out of the way if you ever want to take the front seat completely out. In side collision testing, GM noticed there was a remote chance in a high-speed side impact that debris could depress that button.

The fix is to put a little white plastic tab (about an inch long) into the mechanism that prevents the button from being depressed. I guess if you still need to depress the button you first have to use a screwdriver to pop the tab out.

All vehicles that are on the lot should have these tabs already installed. This was initiated by GM months ago.

Now, get this:
    Remember a while back when we were discussing the radio settings / key fob phenomenon? Basically, it was a personalization feature where the radio presets were determined by which key fob unlocked the doors. It turns out this feature was poorly communicated to customers (hence its discussion here) and it actually affected JD Power figures. People thought their radio was going wacko and reported it as a "problem."

So, now I'm wondering whether GM will try to inform customers of this feature or just remove it entirely from future models. I like the feature, because I like to listen to talk radio, and my wife prefers "Delilah." What is your opinion out there? Is this a feature worth keeping?

Also, if anyone is shopping for a GM vehicle, they extended the "GM in the Driveway" program, where they allow us employees to give out authorization numbers that allow people to buy vehicles at the supplier discount. I don't get anything out of it, other than just feeling good that I helped somebody save some cash. It can easily save people another 1-2k in addition to any current incentives. If anyone's interested, just send an e-mail my way.

Dave
    to check out their used and new Venture. Figured if I could find an 02 Venture with 20K miles, I might be able to trade my 02 Malibu LS with 16K miles in for the van for free. I also learned GM was raising incentives on their trucks and vans to $5000 for current GM owners. Thought maybe even getting a new van wouldn't be too bad an idea. Well, to make a long story short, they had an 04 Venture LS with 28K miles for which they wanted $18K. Or they could sell me a brand new van for invoice minus $5K, which added up to $17K for a Venture plus van. Why would I get the used one when I could get the new one for less?! But they would only give me $7200 for my Malibu trade-in. I said no and walked out. I'll look around to see if I can find a place willing to give me at least $11k for our Malibu.

Alpha will probably tell me to "dream on.." :) but I'm not trading unless I get that. I don't absolutely have to have a minivan now, and just maybe I can find a dealership who wants to unload their used vans badly enough. Or we might go with a new van if Dave's certificate can lower the price by a another $2K. $15K for a brand new van, doesn't sound too bad.
    BC had an excellent point with regards to the price difference. It's meaningless to compare MSRPS whenever comparing domestic and imports for obvious reasons. The real world price difference is thousands. And if one does a lot of highway driving and needs a lot of interior space, the Prius' advantage quickly vanishes.
    This is an excerpt from Edmunds' Long Term Road Test article on the Malibu that I just read:

"We ordered it as part of a preferred equipment group that included a power driver seat, full-length side curtain and front seat-mounted side airbags and carpeted floor mats."

I'll check again, but I don't think the 04 Malibu has seat-mounted airbags. I'm pretty sure it's just the side-curtain airbags. The seat-mounted thorax airbags are a new option for the 05. I suppose it's just a typo.
    I tried clicking on your screen name, but your email is private. COuld you let me know? Thanks!
    My e-mail should be visible now.
  • e2helpere2helper Member Posts: 1,002
    Triedntru
    "So, now I'm wondering whether GM will try to inform customers of this feature or just remove it entirely from future models."

You guessed correctly, this feature has already been removed for 2005 model year vehicle.
    I seemed to remember being told that, but I wasn't sure. Plus, I was curious what "outsiders" thought of the issue. I'm guessing you're an "insider." Am I right?
  • maxx4memaxx4me Member Posts: 1,340
    Dave: you should feel good about yourself, and we all thank you for your generous assistance in getting GM vehicles. Funny thing: I just got a mailing from GM allowing me to get $3,000 off on the Malibu if I buy an '04 model. I'm assuming that would be in addition to cash back incentives going to the public? I do know that I cannot use this "check" with the Supplier's Discount program. I'll have to run by my Chevy dealer to find out which is a better deal: to wait for the '04 and use the Supplier's discount or have cash thrown at my feet?
    To answer your question Dave: I'd probably like the radio option as well and would want GM to keep it. Apparently e2helper already knows that it is history. Oh well, I don't plan on letting my wife drive the car anyway. She can have the Vibe. Have a good day everyone.
    oooh, Dave...since you are on line....The letter from GM starts: "since you are a GM owner.."
    Do you think that this cash program will be the substitute for GM's Loyalty Rebate that they usually run every year?
    My figures are correct for the Prius, though I did make a slight error for the Malibu 4 cylinder. In the future, you may want to check out the actual data that I cite before telling me I relayed it all wrong. References to sources are made available in any post of mine that includes data gathered from the media. To reiterate, you can find the numbers in my last post in the Jan 2004 and May 2004 issues of CR. And yes, their test V6 DID indeed post better fuel economy than the Ecotec.

Chevy Malibu 4 cylinder May 2004
    Combined 24 MPG
    City 16 MPG
    Highway 38 MPG

The Malibu V6 is correct as I posted it:
    Jan 2004
    Combined 26 MPG
    City 18 MPG
    Highway 38MPG

Because of the EPA test loop, which is fairly out of touch with reality, most Hybrids post better city MPG than highway. The Consumer Reports test loop is run for every car in the same is exact manner, just as the EPA loop, but its speeds are more realistic, as are the stop and go intervals. In the past, the entire test has often been detailed in the April Auto Issue, though I dont believe it was this year.

You said this: "But anyway, if you compare the highway mileage of the Malibu (36 for the 6-cy and 38 for the 4-cy) to that of the Prius (35), don't you agree the Prius' number is a little pathetic? Like I said"

The CR highway figure for the Prius is 50 MPG, not 35.

The CR highway for the Malibu 4 cylinder is 38 MPG.

Please tell me again, how a 12 MPG difference in favor of the hybrid, (which posts identical acceleration times) is pathetic? (Get the facts straight, please do not manipulate them so you can make a point that you prefer to consider as reality).

~alpha
    I've found that unlocking the Malibu with one of the key fobs can give me a no-start situation at times, that is, the engine will crank but will not start. Taking the key out of the ignition, locking the doors with the fob and then unlocking them again, will allow me to start the car.

It only does that with one of the fobs so it appears as if the fob itself is defective. The other fob works every time. It would seem as if the anti-theft device is not disabled with the faulty key fob. I'm telling everybody this in case it happens to them.
    Before the host stops us, I was under the assumption that you got the Prius' city and highway figured reversed, because from what I read hybrids DO have better city mileage. That's why I used the "35" for its highway figure in my post. Are you sure you didn't misquote or the publication didn't have a printing error? If Prius indeed has a 50 mpg highway mileage, that IS a big difference. I stand corrected. However it's still disconcerting to see that CR only observed a 35 city mileage when the Prius' EPA city mileage is 60. Either way the numbers don't make too much sense. But again like I said, I'm not trying to bash the Prius or make any statement. Simply wish it had better efficiency.

BTW, I also think it's unbelievable the 04 V6 Malibu got 38 mpg on the highway. DO we have any owners here that can testify this figure? My 90 horse power 1.6 L Geo can't even get that!
    And wouldn't be surprised if 04 Bu got 38 MPG

As for Prius, its real-world MPG is substantially lower than EPA's, especially in cold weather
  • pulgopulgo Member Posts: 400
    38 MPG can only be obtained in warm weather, on the highway, with a steady speed. In other words, only under ideal conditions.

I wonder what the average would be over an entire year.

Lets compare that average to the MPG obtained under real conditions by a Prius. I bet the 4 cylinder Malibu would be way below 30 MPG and the Prius over 40 MPG, with a relaxed driver over 45 MPG.

In my book that is a big difference, anyway you interpret it.
    Interesting, you have a 2004 Malibu, correct?

I realize this is your experience with vehicle but it doesn't make complete sense to me at this time. The ignition key with its internal transponder is the actual device that the vehicle anti-theft system uses for enabling starting (you are using the same key in your scenerio, right?)

If the content theft system wasn't being disabled with your key fob you would be getting horn honking when you open doors.

You are doing an actual start with the ignition key, right? Not a remote start (if you have this option).

Respond back on what engine you have 4 or 6 cylinder.

If I come up with any other comments I will post again.

Thanks again for the information
  • jerrywimerjerrywimer Member Posts: 588
    After reading that the key fob / radio customization feature was working on the '04 Bu's, I tried it on our LT. It works great, and once I had explained HOW it worked (and HOW to use it properly) to my significant other, she loved it too! (My 03' Trailblazer LT doesn't have the DIC system, so I didn't get to take advantage of this feature for it, but I'd read about this function on the TB board first).

Too bad they removed it from the '05. It seems to me the better solution would have been to publicize it. :(
  • yurakmyurakm Member Posts: 1,345
    GM removed performance shift mode of Pontiac GP GTP and Buick Regal GS starting from year 2001. The cars were capable to accelerate 0-60 in about 6.5 secs in the mode, but it takes more than 7 seconds with the feature deleted.

The same reason: most of people simply does not read manuals, and many do not listen for explanations. My wife once touched the PS button accidently on our Regal, and was sure that something awful happened with our car. Like no oil, or something of this kind. It was at home. She sent our son to awaken me...

A lot of angry words were told addressing GM, the dealer, and the car which "broke" just couple of months after it was bought. I can see why GM does not like it.

What a shame!
  • motownusamotownusa Member Posts: 836
    I finally got to drive the new 04 Malibu my father's colleague leased. He is paying $325 a month for 36 months which includes all routine and non routine maintenance. He seems very happy with the car. The car feels quite peppy considering it only has 200 Hp. That puts it at the bottom of the V6 powered family cars. But since this is a pushrod engine the torque comes in at a relatively low rpm which is actually good for most stop and go driving. The car also handles better than my 03 Camry LE V6 which seems to completely isolate me from everything else ( no road feel). The difference between the Camry and Malibu is that the Camry accelerates a bit quieter than the Malibu which gets a bit harsh above 3000 rpm; although both cars cruise very quietly. Overall, I think Chevy has a winner on its hand. My dad's colleague says the car puts a smile on his face every time he cranks the ignition.
    thanks very much motown for taking the time to tell us. While I can't compare the Maxx with the Camry (I don't fit in anything made by Toyota for starters), I reiterate my earlier comments regarding my side by side comparison with the Accord. The Accord is indeed an amazing car to drive. Very tight, great engine, and a PERFECT transmission (although it is funny the tranny is the thing that has prompted recent issues with the Accord for whatever reason). The Maxx is superior in interior room for the driver. I felt like I could totally relax in the thing, and attain the perfect driving position. All in all, while the Bu/Maxx is not a perfect car by any means (rediculously small glove box; no two level center arm rest storage), I agree whole heartedly that it is a winner. I'm kind of amazed that the Maxx has not flown off the shelves so far; maybe if reliability proves well it will. But right now, I still say it screams value, and should be selling better. As for the sedan, if the rear leg room was a bit better, maybe older adults more interested in adult passengers sitting back there would consider the Bu over the competition. But since the rear legroom is not much better than the competition, perhaps there is not enough "luxury" to put it over the top. I'm still looking forward to my Maxx however.
    You'll be happy to note the favorable article on the Maxx in the July issue of Car and Driver.

~alpha
    The car is a 04 4cyl. Malibu. Sorry if I was a bit vague.

I do not have the remote start function. This is the sequence of events - I unlock the car with the fob, insert the key into the ignition, turn the key, the car cranks but does not start. I take out the key and, while sitting in the drivers seat, lock/unlock the car using the button on the fob. I insert the key again and the car now cranks and starts. If I take out the key and re-insert it and turn it without lock/unlocking using the fob, the car will not start.

This has happened several times. However, when I use the spare fob and spare key - I am the only driver of this vehicle - I never have a problem. So, the problem could be with the first key/fob.
    yeah, thanks a bunch alpha. I'll keep looking for it. You had mentioned it earlier, but I could not find it in the issue I picked up in the drug store earlier this evening. Maybe I justed missed it when I glanced through it.
  • oldntired1950oldntired1950 Member Posts: 151
    The C&D article is in the July issue on page 67... see my post on the Maxx board.
    Oldandtired1950
    I also went to drugstore but they just had the June issue. Thx for head's up - I'll check later
  • mr_botsmr_bots Member Posts: 236
    I'm planning on getting a car by August. I was considering a Rav4, Grand Am, Equinox, and a Malibu. Yesterday I drove them all and got a quote from the dealer and it looks like it going to be a Malibu. The Grand Am was quickly taken off the list when I drove it because the seat was as low as it would go and my hair was touching the ceiling. The Rav4 was nice but in usual Toyota sales, they took like $500 off the sticker. I really enjoyed the Equinox and Malibu, but the Chevy dealer quoted me $15,700 for a 2004 Malibu LS with XM, Spoiler, and the package with Remote start, curtain air bags, power driver seat. The price is with my Supplier Discount the $4,000 gm loyalty rebate, and the $1,000 rebate. The Equinox didn't have the two rebates and ends up being like $5-6k higher. How are the 04 Malibus holding up, any rattles or squeaks that have developed since you bought them?
  • mtrushmtrush Member Posts: 9
    One feature I really like about the Malibu is that it offers the option of side-impact airbags. However, when I checked dealer inventories on gmbuypower.com, it appears only the LS and LT models have this option. I really don't need a V-6, though. Does anyone know if the 2005 base model will offer this feature as an option ?
    mr bots: are you saying that you got the supplier's discount PLUS the $4,000 off??? The certificate states that it cannot be combined. Please, do tell!
    Actually you can get a 2004 Malibu Base Sedan with the Side Head Curtain airbags, likely it isn't a popular combination which is why you don't see it in dealer inventory.

Same thing for 2005 model. However in 2005 the side airbag option changes because you get side airbags in front seat as well.
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    Are you SURE you can get the suppliers discount AND rebates? My dealer is emphatic this is NOT allowed. I'd hate for you to encounter a nasty surprise in the F & I (finance and insurance) room at the dealer!
  • mr_botsmr_bots Member Posts: 236
    I did read the brochure and it stated that the $4000 loyalty program was not available with any other incentives, and also that it included 2003 models only(but I'm not going to tell the dealer they're giving me $4000 more than they should). The dealer's quote included both the supplier's discount, the $4000 gm loyalty rebate, and a $1000 rebate for a total of about $6600 below sticker.
    wow, give me your dealer's name. I'm comin' out to buy a Maxx at that price!!!!!
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    That money comes from GM. GM won't pay it if you are not eligible. And you will end up owing the dealer the difference. You assign the rebates to the dealer (who WILL come after you when the dealer doesn't get paid) and pay net OR you pay the gross and end up not getting the rebate.

There is no free lunch.
    My base model 2004 4cyl. Malibu came with side airbags, cruise control and disc brakes all round. The disc brakes were not an option and are now standard on base models. The color is navy metalic blue which looks very good.
  • envoyleeenvoylee Member Posts: 6
    Just thought I would add some info. about the Malibu from a new owner (actually my wife). She was not crazy about the looks at first, but now loves it. Silver LS with most options (she didn't want leather, so no LT). I can say that it drives great, good mpg, peppy, lots of trunk space, and good value. She plans to keep it for a long time. We looked at every sedan out there (Camry, Accord, Altima, Passat, Civic, Corolla, Jetta, Subaru, Galant), and others I would just as soon forget. I did much research also. Nothing we compared came close to want WE wanted. I would not hesitate to recommend a Malibu to anyone. By the way, I have had bad experience with Toyota, and a friend with Honda. Lemons are everywhere. I have had good luck with Chevy Blazer (1996) and GMC Envoy (2003). Go see, you'll like it.
This discussion has been closed.