Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2000-2011 Chevrolet Malibu

Comments

• Options
    mtrushmtrush Member Posts: 9
    The reader that said the Base+side air bag combination is rare is correct. I did some inquiry and found only one such vehicle in the entire state of FL ! Should I be concerned with the mechanical integrity of this vehicle since it is apprantely manufactured in tiny quantity.
  • Options
    e2helpere2helper Member Posts: 1,002
    Not to worry. It is just a different combination of parts. The only thing that is unique in that vehicle would be the wiring harnesses.
  • Options
    maxx4memaxx4me Member Posts: 1,340
    hey, congrats to the Malibu for winning Motor Week's Driver's Choice Award for best Family Sedan 2004
  • Options
    kpugh2kpugh2 Member Posts: 20
    The wife's 04 LS w/ sun roof has a dent about 3" in diameter above the "B" pillar next to corner of sunroof.
    I do not see any surface defects and of course she has not idea what happen. I must say she is careful where she parts the car.
    Her car is black and in 90*+ heat could cause this problem? She does exceed the speed limits 75 mph is common could closing the sunroof at speeds cause this problem? The big question is this a GM problem? Has anyone else exp. this problem? The car is 6+ months old and 12K miles.
    Does anyone know of another GM Malibu forum that could be of help?

Thanks
  • Options
    bcmalibu99lsbcmalibu99ls Member Posts: 625
    Kpugh, sounds like maybe a stone or a piece of hail might have caused such a damage. Perhaps a meteorite?
  • Options
    triedntrutriedntru Member Posts: 73
    Kpugh2,

Could you be a little more descriptive on the dent? Particularly, look at the paint on the dent. Is the paint broken, cracked, chipped? Or does it appear that the dent happened before the car was painted?

Is the dent circular like an impact from an object, or is it creased?
  • Options
    a grapefruit-sized meteorite crashed through a roof of a house in New Zealand. Something like that would definitely leave a dent on a vehicle!
  • Options
    tamu2002tamu2002 Member Posts: 758
    Since we were talking about this the other day, I thought some people might be interested in this article.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2004-06-11-hybrids-fuel-econo- my_x.htm
  • Options
    catecate Member Posts: 8
    What is the supplier's discount? Is it about the authorization number from a GM employee? Thanks.
  • Options
    Hi, I read some posts here and found some people have problems with the electrical power steering on their '04 Malibu. I am considering to get one, so really care this. Can anybody here tell me whether this is a popular defect and whether GM has recalled on this? Thanks a lot.
  • Options
    mr_botsmr_bots Member Posts: 236
    Its hard to explain what exactly the Supplier Discount is. There is some useful information describing it at the website, at the top there is a link with frequently asked questions.

http://www.gmsupplierdiscount.com
  • Options
    oldntired1950oldntired1950 Member Posts: 151
    I've had my Malibu Maxx since late January and have had no problems with the steering. I've heard of some problems on the board, but like any new system, there will be some kinks to work out. Even the CamCords have mechanical and electrical failures (check the recalls).
  • Options
    motownusamotownusa Member Posts: 836
    Cars are machines and no machine is 100% perfect. It is how the dealer and the company treats you if you do have a problem that matters. These days nobody really makes a terrible car so you can't go wrong no matter car you buy.
  • Options
    Well, thank you for the reply.
    I do believe the service quality of the company is very important, but I am scared of the car with poor reliability because of personal experience. Currently I own a VW Passat, which is just a garbage. I visit the garage almost every month to fix those problems. And I was told by my mechanic that my car is not the worst, some newer VW cars are sent to them even more frequently. I know this is off-topic, but personally I recommend those people, who are considering VW cars, keep away from them.
    I searched some posts about reliability here, it seems Malibu is fine.
  • Options
    Thank you, Mr. Bots. It seems I am not qualified. :(
    But I can get the loyalty discount.
  • Options
    maxx4memaxx4me Member Posts: 1,340
    cate: contact David (triedntru) on this site. He can get you the supplier's discount. Also, I think you are very correct on your assessment of german engineering.

motownusa: I'd beg to differ on two brands: Land Rover and Jaguar
  • Options
    307web307web Member Posts: 1,033
    It doesn't look too attractive style wize. The previous Malibu was conservative and a little plain, but the new one is kind of homely.
    The Accord and Camry aren't that much better outside.
    It's so sad that stlylists can't do better.
  • Options
    benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    I like the new Malibu's styling, and I also like the idea of getting what is basically a Saab 9-3, a c.30k car, for a lot less. However, I am one of those dwindling number of people devoted to manual transmissions. Is there any chance that they'll put a 5-speed in the Malibu, or has that been ruled out?

Right now the rebates are impressive. If you're a GM owner you can get 4k off a Malibu.
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • Options
    Unlikely. But the Pontiac G6, a slightly more expensive version of the Malibu would get a manual tranny even on the top of the line 3.9L V6. It is a 6 speed too.

The Volkswagon Passat is probably the worst mid size car out there. It has a very nice, rich interior but the ignition coil problem has really hurt their sales. CONGRATS TO THE PISTONS. THE LAKERS GOT THEIR JUST DUE.
  • Options
    can't GM start making pleasant-looking interiors? Yeah, they got it on Equinox, but why not on all other vehicles? It's as if they want to sell as few cars as possible. Amazing, really

And it doesn't take a rocket scientist to design a good interior. I think by saving several hunderd dollars by using cheap plastic, GM loses much more when people do not get excited by the boring interiors

VW may be crappy cars, but the interiors are awesome
  • Options
    I personally believe that the Malibu has a pleasant looking interior, I believe it to be better than the Equinox, the dash is nice, but the seats are uncomfortable and too firm, also those pitiful cup holders got to go. GM seems to be moving up with interiors, the G6 looks nice inside, also the 2005 minivans have a nice interior, much nicer than the current minivans. I'll also bet that when they redo the full size trucks/suvs that they'll have much nicer interiors.
  • Options
    Does the cd player in the Malibu play Mp3 cds? GM has advertised this in many cars as an optional radio, but the Malibu doesn't have an Mp3 capable CD player on the option list, and just curious to see if they made this standard.
  • Options
    e2helpere2helper Member Posts: 1,002
    Nope the radio in dash does not support playing MP3s. I don't know if the DVD player in the Maxx has any additional capability for other formats though.
  • Options
    I went ahead and bought a new Galaxy Silver Malibu LS with 1sb (curtain airbags, remote start, power driver seat, and floor mats) and the rear spoiler. I paid $16,700, they pulled the $1000 rebate they promised just the other day, but still a good price. The engine is not the smoothest or most refined, but it has lots of power down low where you notice it and the transmission is silky smooth, if your not paying attention you can't feel it shift. The back seat is awesome, its more comfortable than the front seats, with a lot of leg room for a car. I haven't really found a good spot for the driver seat, with all those adjustments it'll take a while to find the perfect adjustments. The ride is smooth and its pretty quiet at highway speeds. Haven't had a change to test the gas milage to know how accurate the computer is which says 24.5 MPG, excellent milage for a V6. I really like the electric steering, in the driveway and in parking lots the steering wheel is so easy to turn its amazing, you can't imagine it until you drive it and feel how light it is. The needles are kinda cool, white during the day, but bright red at night. Also, its cool how the radio changes based on what key fob is used to unlock the doors, and how when playing a CD it shows the author and song title if its available on the CD. I love my new car.
  • Options
    79377937 Member Posts: 390
    The computer is very accurate when it calculates MPG. It's based on the fact that the injectors are either open or closed. For more fuel, the injectors stay open longer, ie, the mark-space ratio varies according to demand. The fuel pressure is fixed by the pressure regulator. So, the designers know how much fuel is injected for a given time. The speed sensor gives the final parameter for an easy calculation by the computer for the mpg. It's my impression that the mpg is updated about every 10 seconds.
  • Options
    Just to add to the above, this is how the fuel range is also calculated. In this case the fuel level is added to the computation. The driving conditions vary hence the fuel range will also vary. By cross reference by the computer to the fuel level and driving conditions, you will note that the fuel range displayed in the display also varies.

I've driven my Malibu hard and the fuel range shown in the display drops. Drive it lightly and the fuel range displayed goes up. So, the computer is at all times giving you a true reflection of what is going on.
  • Options
    I tried to have duplicate keys for a 2004 Malibu made at Ace Hardware and Wal-Mart with no luck (they don't have the key blanks). Are those keys only made at the dealers or specialty key shops ?
    How much does it cost ?
  • Options
    Since the keys you have received with your vehicle have an embedded microchip, simply copying the key would not work, as the car computer would not start the engine, unless it recognizes the microchip inside the key
  • Options
    pulgopulgo Member Posts: 400
    Passat the worst car?
    I realize by your user name that you are fond of US made cars. But to say that the PASSAT is the WORST car? Do you read any car related magazines at all? Have you read Consumer Reports? You don't have to like what they say because it is just an opinion. What about resale value? Are those numbers wrong too?
  • Options
    A blank key with a + symbol can be cut and programmed by the user. There is a procedure in the user manual of the Malibu to program up to 10 keys. Not all key cutting outfits have the correct blanks though. The blank MUST have the + symbol which indicates that there is a microchip inside.

I believe Canadian laws are different as to who may make duplicate keys. There is a note about this in the user manual.
  • Options
    Pulgo, Check the reliability of the 4 cylinder Passat, and then compare it to the competition. Consumer Report gave it a much worse than average rating. Even the V6, while getting the best overall rating only gets an average rating for reliability. In fact, check the entire Volkswagon lineup and you will see nothing but black circles. Most mid size cars now days, with the exception of the Passat, are pretty reliable. In fact, the Buick Regal tops the Camry in overall reliability. And judging by the comments by owners of this board and car rags, I am sure the new Malibu will also be very reliable.
  • Options
    pulgopulgo Member Posts: 400
    Whatever the ratings, they are never right for my car, unfortunately :-)

I service my cars myself, never go to the dealer, not even in the first year. I never use the dealer for parts either.

But if I had to choose, I would prefer to drive the Passat over the Malibu everytime (I have test driven them both extensively and will purchase a DIESEL Passat soon). I tend to keep cars for a long time (7 years, 300k miles minimum).

I am sure the Malibu will be a good car and you have every right to prefer it over anything else.

But for me the DRIVING is the important part. I like the ride and feel of the Passat very much and I am willing to risk my money and fix those little glitches that may appear (or not).

Have a wonderful day.
  • Options
    Wow, I didn't know that. Kind of defeats the purpose of having a microchip in your key, if another key could be easily programmed by the driver himself. And if a driver could do it, a criminal who wants your car could definitely do the same
  • Options
    Well, it doesn't really defeat the purpose, to program a new key you have to have a key that the computer knows. I don't really know the specific procedure, but I know it involves inserting the old key that the computer knows, and then inserting the new key to get the computer to recognize it.
  • Options
    You insert your key and turn the ignition on. Turn the ignition off and insert the new key you want to program within 5 seconds and turn the ignition on. The new key is now programmed. You can do this for up to 10 new keys. You have to have the original key in order to do this so the chances of a car thief doing this is minimal.
  • Options
    All is well then :)
  • Options
    tra2883tra2883 Member Posts: 79
    I picked up my 04 Malibu LT at the end of May and so far, I'm very very happy with it! It's smooth & powerful, but also very roomy... I get teased cause I'm 21 and driving a family sedan, but I'm also 6'4" and so while my car may not quite fit my lifestyle, it does fit my physically- something that can't be said of my last car, an 02 VW Golf! The features are awesome, from the leather/suede seats to the 6-disc CD changer to the remote start...

I just ordered a set of side window visors from the dealer, and I wanted to try and get a sunroof wind deflector as well, but apparently GM doesn't make those for the new Malibus. I think the sunroof is quite noisy when open, and the wind deflector might lessen the noise. Does anybody know where I could find one aftermarket??

Thank you!!
  • Options
    Has anyone found that the seats in the LS not that comfortable? I have had the driver seat in every possible position since I got it and my lower back gets a little sore ever time I drive it, its not a strong pain, just enough to be a slight annoyance. Has anyone found a fix for this? How do you remove the front headrests? I've heard about people rotating them and I think that might help because you could sit back in the seat more which might support you back more. Other than that I love my Malibu and think its a great car.
  • Options
    I'm thinking about having my 2004 Malibu's windows tinted. The antenna is integrated with the rear window defogger. Based on what I know the best glass tinting film is metallic. However, the owner's manual has this warning - "Do not apply aftermarket glass tinting with metallic film. The metallic film in some tinting materials will interfere with or distort the incoming radio reception". Does anyone have experience with this issue ?
  • Options
    hbund216hbund216 Member Posts: 162
    A family members 04 is tinted with 3M tint and the signal is ok. Not sure if it is metallic tint or not.
  • Options
    mfletouvamfletouva Member Posts: 166
    I was looking at Maxx's on the dealer lots and they appear to have regular antennas...I assumed the sedan did too, but apparently not?
  • Options
    I had an oil change at a large chain shop a few days back, and they were ok, but with lots of "sir, would you like to also have THIS or THAT done today?" Not very pushy, but still I really don't like when that happens. Anyway, the mechanic told me I may benefit from an engine flush. The only problem is that I've read on the Internet on a site of some supermechanic that the engine should NEVER EVER be flushed.

What have you, folks, heard on this issue? Thank you
  • Options
    I can't seem to find the recommended tire pressure on my 2004 Chevy Malibu with 15-inch Bridgestone tires. I looked everywhere (side of door, owner's manual) but can't find it even though the sticker on the side of the door does contain vehicle weight information. Does anyone know ?
  • Options
    bporter1bporter1 Member Posts: 229
    Have you tried the trunk lid? I do not own a Malibu, but the information on the tires in my 99
    Regal is on the inside of the trunk lid. Try there.
  • Options
    Open the driver's side door and look at the bottom of the door sill just under the driver's seatbelt anchor point. That's where mine is. The pressures are 30psi all round for the Bridgestone 15-inch tires.

bcmalibu99ls, as for engine flushing, I don't believe it's needed when regular oil changes are made. Modern oils are full of detergents and sludge is held in suspension and removed when the engine is drained. I've always used Mobil1 in my cars and have never had a problem with sludge.
  • Options
    deminindeminin Member Posts: 214
    BC..Never..REPEAT NEVER have your engine flushed! As an engine ages, and the parts seat together, minute carbon seals form around the bearings, etc., and this helps minimize oil consumption, etc. If you have your engine flushed, it will break down these seals, and you WILL start using and burning oil. If your oil appears to get dirty too quickly, quite often an extra oil filter change between normal cycles is a good idea...or change your oil/filter more often. Another thing you should never do is to switch brands of oil. Whatever you start your car on, you should stay with. Quite often, the additives that oil companies use are not always compatible with those of another brand, and this can break down the carbon seals, also. This is one of the more common reasons people have trouble with used cars. If you can find the previous owner and find out what brand he always used, and stay with the same stuff, its always better.
  • Options
    mfletouvamfletouva Member Posts: 166
    I really don't think there's a problem with using different brands of oil unless you are using something wacky. All the cars in my family have always been changed with whatever's cheapest. None of them have every had any carbon seal problems. I've never heard of that.

I do agree about engine flushing though.
  • Options
    "recommends" an engine flush every 5K miles - it's called

MR. LUBE

SHAME!!!
  • Options
    dan165dan165 Member Posts: 653
    For Canadian buyers, they now have 0% for 60 months on all Malibus plus $1000 "ring and win" cash back. I think my mom will be buying one this weekend, seems like a great deal on a very nice car. Sales should pick up big time as there had not been much in the way of incentives before.
  • Options
    JD Power and Associates ranked the 2004 Chevrolet Malibu as the highest ranked "Entry Midsize Car" for the 2004 Vehicle Dependability Study, with the Nissan Altima in 2nd the Grand Am in 3rd. Two out of three isn't bad. Hmmmm...no Accord or Camry, they must have made a mistake.
This discussion has been closed.