Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2000-2011 Chevrolet Malibu

Comments

• dan165dan165 Member Posts: 653
    Wow, lots of PHDs here!
  • tamu2002tamu2002 Member Posts: 758
    not all PhDs are pretentious :) Hey motown, my degree is in Organic Chemistry too. What a conincidence huh?
  • motownusamotownusa Member Posts: 836
    "I know my English is atrocious but maybe that's because it's not my first language."

Your English is just fine. I would have never guessed English wasn't your first language.

Tamu - There is nothing wrong with being just a bit pretentious; as long as you are not an arrogant SOB. Getting a PhD degree takes a lot of dedication, time and of course brain, so congratulation. There is a reason people with PhDs are referred to as "Dr." instead of "Mr" or "Ms".
    wonder if it was worth all the sacrifice .

I got a question for you all about our 02 Malibu. Occationally the engine makes a slight whistling sound during acceleration at low speed. Is this normal? Should we have it looked at?

BTW we just got our windows deep tinted today for $150. It'll make life a lot easier for our two little ones back there in hot summer days. Should've done that 2 summers ago...
  • venus537venus537 Member Posts: 1,443
    sure people who drive toyotas and hondas are more likely to be more educated and make more money and the reasons given earlier make some sense.

but they're (those with a degree less than a PHd and a six figure salary) also more likely to do more research on a car they're going to purchase too. it's the people who buy GM cars that are more likely to be the so called people who know nothing about cars.

you can see it in the way the cars are advertised when the selling point is huge rebates.

many people will still only buy the traditional american makes. nothing wrong with that, but it has nothing to do with the merits of the car.

and when someone does research on a car, which direction do you think they'll be pointed to?

cavalier no
    malibu yes
    impala no
    grand am no
    grand prix no
    regal no
    century no
    bonneville no

some of the above cars are reliable but are still engineering dinosaurs. i do realize that GM has new models on the way to replace most of the above cars, but as of now they're lineup is like my favorite MLB team the milwaukee brewers. ok, GM is not that bad, a better analogy to the brewers would be the the yugo.
  • 79377937 Member Posts: 390
    Well as I've said before, origins of cars are becoming more and more blurred by the day. The Saturn Vue (GM) has a Honda engine and the Pontiac Vibe (GM) has a Toyota engine. Saab (GM) markets a Subaru under the Saab badge. Malibu has a Saab platform. Cadillac (GM) is starting to give Mercedes and BMW some stiff competition. So before anybody says GM products are so so, they better do their homework.

It takes education to figure out what is what these days.
    Of all the GM cars I really like the Regal GS. The only Buick that can leave most of the mid size competitors in the dust. All it needs is better ride and handling and a bit more rear seat room.
    "it's the people who buy GM cars that are more likely to be the so called people who know nothing about cars."

I know you're a die dard import guy, but I take issue with your comment. A more educated guy might research more on cars but that doesn't mean he knows more than the "average" Joe, maybe on paper but not mechanically. Another factor comes into play is income. If one earns 29K it doesn't matter if he knows how much better an accord is than the Malibu--he can only afford the Malibu! That was the case with us. But now finally entering the work force, the imports suddenly become more appealing to us :) Kudos to GM for making excellent reliable basic transportations like the Malibu. I can easily see a 6 figure income guy prefer the new Malibu to the imports.
    your point about income is valid though the overall ownership cost of the accord/camry compares favorably to the malibu. you'll know this too well if you ever decide to sell/trade in your beloved malibu. this may change with the new malibu since its resale value should improve because the malibu "classic" is now used for fleet sales. and of course, the new malibu is much improved.

being informed about cars as you call it "on paper" does mean you're more knowlegable versus just walking into the dealership without any research. are you going to rely on the salesman for your information?

i'm just responding to whoever stated that people who know nothing about cars are more likely to recommend toyotas and hondas. well duh! when they pick up any consumer or enthusiats car magazine it's going to hold toyotas and hondas in high regard. i may know nothing about watches but i do know that a timex in no rolex.

sorry, i don't see a six figure income guy preferring a malibu (or lower echelon asain cars for that matter) over the imports.
    "sorry, i don't see a six figure income guy preferring a malibu (or lower echelon asain cars for that matter) over the imports."

It depends on his priority, doesn't it? Not everybody is obssessed with status and prestige. The new Malibu is certainly an equal or near equal to the imports on merits. Coupled to its considerable lower price tag, it's an exceptional value to a rich guy with higher priorities.

BTW my blue collar friends in the same building are much better mechanics on cars than I. Obviously it's because they don't always have the luxury to pay to have somebody else fix their car for them.

Now that's how you truly KNOW cars.
    actually i still don't think the malibu is in the same league with the accord/passat/camry. and since GM is trying to win over folks like me with this car my opinion counts for something. and the best the new malibu could manage was mid-pack in edmund's latest family sedan comparison test. i will admit the malibu maxx has some desirable features for a family car.

if some rich fat cat really doesn't care about cars than of course the malibu is a possibility, but to actually prefer one over a nice passat on the basis of engineering is something i personally can not comprehend.

and the malibu isn't the great value you think it is. go to intellichoice.com for their figuring of actual ownership costs.

knowing how to fix a car is entirely different than knowing how to engineer one. but so what. are you going to tell me that mechanics prefer domestic cars now? some of them make good money, especially the ones who fix the expensive imports. good job security for the european mechanics.
  • mr_botsmr_bots Member Posts: 236
    Not to discredit intellichoice or anything, but I've found domestics to be cheaper and easier to maintain, GM has the Oil-life system, 100k spark plugs, 150k coolant, and fill for life transmission fluid where imports have a set schedule for oil changes, 50 or 30k spark plugs, and 30-50k coolant. Also the task of actually changing the oil is simpler, imports like hiding the oil filter in a remote location where its hard to get to, or around things to drip on, the several GM vehicles I've owned have had the oil filters right in the center, easy to find, easy to get to. I do know that the depreciation on a Malibu will be higher because Hondas are "in" right now, but I don't really mind depreciation because I intend to own my Malibu for many years, and despite GM's reliability ratings, I have yet to encounter anything more then a worn out A/C compressor on an 8 year old S10. Also, after many years and miles things will wear out and break(yes, even in your beloved Camrys and Accords) and parts for a domestic vehicle are far less costly then imports. And as far as Camrys and Accords actually being better than a Malibu I can't say, I believe it is a matter of personal taste, but I know two people that currently have Camry's and can't believe I got a V6, XM radio, remote start, side curtain airbags, the trip computer, power pedals, and power driver seat for less then they paid for their I4 with pretty much no options other then keyless entry.
    Here's a bedtime story for all the import lovers.

This engine powers my Malibu and is the basis for the Saab 9-3

http://www.ny-jbodies.org/forum/library/ecotec/ImportFighter.htm
    Wow, you got all that for the price of a 4 banger Camry. The typical transaction price of a 4 cylinder Camry LE in my part of the country ( Southeastern Va) is about 18.5 to 19k OTD price which includes a $1000 rebate. Is that what you paid for your loaded Malibu? That is a very good deal indeed. Congragulations!!!
    "actually i still don't think the malibu is in the same league with the accord/passat/camry."

You're certainly entitled to your opinion. The accord is pretty cool. The camry? Can't see myself driving one. I may be boring and practical, but not that lack of personality.

"and the best the new malibu could manage was mid-pack in edmund's latest family sedan comparison test."

I take what pretentious car journalists have to say with a ton of salt. Being academic myself, I know how theoretical, up-in-the-air, and full of themsleves people can be. At the end of the day, it's how YOU like the car. Who cares most of the stuff they complain about anyway? Well, maybe a real car guy like you do :) And even if you could feel the 5% more ride harshness, you gotta ask yourself "is this worth paying 7 grand more for?".

"if some rich fat cat really doesn't care about cars than of course the malibu is a possibility, but to actually prefer one over a nice passat on the basis of engineering is something i personally can not comprehend."

Again, people have different criteria. The Passat's pathetically small size alone will completely turn me off, don't get me started on the ridiculously high price tag (30K? give me a break!).

" the malibu isn't the great value you think it is. go to intellichoice.com for their figuring of actual ownership costs."

Screw the "true cost to own". I intend to keep in past 5 years. And my true cost to own will be gas, insurance, maintainance and repairs. I change my own oil which cost me less than $40 a year. We're now onto our 3rd year with or Malibu, it still runs like new. Our insurance cost is $280 (full coverage) for 6 months. We got above 30 mpg on the highway. Did I mention we paid almost 10K less than a comparable accord? BTW the real world selling prices of domestic and import are not that far off.

"knowing how to fix a car is entirely different than knowing how to engineer one. "

Who said that? I was merely saying people who know how to fix cars REALLY know cars. Didn't mean my janitor can design a car better.
    Saw an ad for the Pontiac G6 last night during the Olympics.

People not happy with the Malibu styling should take note. The G6 is a beautiful car.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Hey 7937 - since this is a dedicated discussion on the Malibu, why not post that link in our High End Luxury Marques discussion? It would be topical there and that discussion needs some new life. :)
    Done! heh heh heh
  • btrflybtrfly Member Posts: 21
    I can allegedly buy this and think it's an unbelievable price?! DO u all agree? Any recent major complaints about this car? Let me know ASAP cuz I think I need to get back to the dealer very soon:) Thanks
  • maxx4memaxx4me Member Posts: 1,340
    amazing: do it.
    Sounds like a scam, but if you can do it, buy. The Malibu is a nice car!
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Buy it for $12k.
    I have an 04 Malibu LS with 2500 miles. First there is a rattle in the passenger seat when no one is in it, has anyone else experienced this and is there a known fix? Also, when accelerating hard when the tach reaches about 5000 it starts to sound like the accessory belt is squeaking, is this normal or am I the only one experiencing this too?
    If it's true then grab it!! You won't get a better 4cyl. for that price. The Ecotec engine has been around for some 4 years and there are no known problems. It's very robust and well designed. I get 38mpg on the freeway with mine.

See my post #4121 regarding this engine.
  • pjp99pjp99 Member Posts: 1
    I'm an RV owner and I am presently flat towing and driving to work a 97 Saturn SL2. I'm about to trade it in and I'm interested in a Malibu. I've been reading and per Motorhome Magazine that it's ok to flat tow any 2001-04 Malibu behind my RV. Can anyone tell me if they have heard of any issues or problems with doing this (transmission, drivetrain, etc). I prefer the Malibu to another model Saturn since I also drive it to work, even if I have to sacrifice adding some curb weight to my towing.
  • kris10kris10 Member Posts: 21
    I am currently looking to purchase a new car. I'm looking at 2004's and hoping to get a good deal on one. I have done a lot of research and have narrowed it down to 4. I want a car that is comfortable, safe, gets good gas mileage, powerful, quiet, looks nice, and drives well. I was hoping you all could give some much appreciated advice/feedback and if you have/had one of the cars listed below, how much you paid for it and likes/dislikes/problems! I have it narrowed down to:

2004 Pontiac Grand Prix GT2
    2004 Chevrolet Malibu LS
    2004 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE
    2004 Toyota Camry LE V6

I have only driven the GT2. I plan on test driving the others very soon.

Thanks!
    Kristen
    You have nowhere to go but up after the Pontiac. The new G6 might be much better though as it has the same platform as the Malibu.
  • bigdaddycoatsbigdaddycoats Member Posts: 1,058
    Kristen

You will most likely get the best deal on the Malibu or the Grand Prix. Personally, the Camry is kind of a boring car. The Altima is nice, but interior seems kind of cheap. The GP seems like a bigger car than the rest and I don't like the back seat design - no cup holders in the back either. My choice would be the Malibu - very nice car for the money. I have made some posts in the Malibu discussion about a couple of trips I have taken in my fathers Malibu. The only thing I really do not like is the power steering seems to light.

Go drive all four and see which one you like the best. I imagine the final price will come out the best on the Malibu. Let us know. Good luck.
  • joe3891joe3891 Member Posts: 759
    I like the light steering in the Malibu, the only thing is when I get in my truck now I think the steering is broke, it feels very hard, but of course its not, it is standard hydraulic feel.
    Easy bud. I have a Grand Prix GT2 and it is an excellent car. ZERO problems after 10 months. Nice daily driver and lots of power, good looks and value.
    I loved it! It drove smooth, handled well, was comfortable...everything. The steering is definitely a lot different! Especially compared to my 99 camaro. But I think it is something that I can get used to. I had a guy at a different dealership offer me a 2004 Med. Gray Metallic LS for an internet price of $15757 including the $4000 rebate. He said the list price was $22370. And that's before any dealing and my down payment! The only thing is it doesn't have a sunroof but he said he could have one put in. Has anyone ever heard of this or had it done? Is it a good idea or something to be weary of? I don't want them screwing up my car (if I decide to buy it)!

Thanks!
    Kristen
    If you really want a sunroof I would find one that already has it from the factory - much safer that way. It might be a better idea to take the 0% financing over the rebate. Work out the payments both ways and see which one comes out better. Do you qualify for any GM employee discount?
    Well Dan, I think u were right...the manager kept saying one thing than another but the bottom line is, why can't they sell these cars even at $12k?? The car just feels rather cheap (not only price wise but interior) to me, and the little windows bug me. And what's with having to have everything power these days? SO much for customer options...I've just really been spoiled by my cavalier, believe it or not:)I also hope Chevy looks into their dealerships sales tactics because they leave A LOT to be desired. They wouldn't even let me take the car for an hour by myself!
    Thanks for everyone's input.
    The same thing happened to me when I went to test drive the Malibu yesterday. They wouldn't let me drive it by myself, the salesman had to go with us. At pontiac they handed me the keys and slapped on a temp tag and let me go!

Kristen
    Dealers from any company can be bad, not just Chevy. Worst dealer I ever went into was a VW dealer a few years ago. I literally ran out the door pulling out my hair.

I don't think the Malibu is a cheap car. In fact, it's pretty nice compared to what else you can buy in the price range. It's a bit drab inside but it feels good and fit and finish is excellent. I like my GP better in terms of size and looks but I think the Malibu offers great value and quality over all.
    The same thing happened to me when I went to test drive the Malibu yesterday. They wouldn't let me drive it by myself, the salesman had to go with us. At pontiac they handed me the keys and slapped on a temp tag and let me go!

Kristen
    A couple of more things. The remote start on the Bu is a real nice feature - esp. in winter. Insurance rates tend to be higher on imports - even if they are actually built in the U.S.

Kristen
    how the Malibu compares to the GT2 power wise. I know the Malibu has a 3.5L 200hp V6 and the GT2 has a 3.8L 200hp V6, but is there really that much difference?
    I don't think there is much of a difference, the 3.5L has 200hp @ 5200rpm and 220lb-ft @ 4400rpm. While the 3.8L has 200hp @ 5200rpm and 225lb-ft @ 4000rpm. So the only difference is a little more torque at a slightly lower rpm, but the Malibu is rated as being faster in all the magazines I've compared the two in, and gets better gas mileage.
    shell's V-power gas? We're relocating next week across the country (2200 miles). Maybe the V-power gas gives better gas milage? Today I crawled under our 02 LS and changed the engine oil with Mobile 1 fully synthetic oil. I'm also gonna inflate all 4 tires to 33psi. Would be interesting to see how much the gas milage improves with all this. So far with 18K miles, the car still runs like new. We tinted all the window for $140 the other day. We're loving our Malibu. But I have to say we're a little jealous about you folks driving the NEW Malibu. My wife REALLY likes the new styling, which I find unique (which is good) rather than anything else.
    Did u buy a pontiac? I'm leaning towards a hyundai elantra now as we dont' have a lot of grand am's around or maybe I'll just wait to see the cobalt. The Hyundai dealer here is really nice tho- let us take the car for the WHOLE day at THEIR suggestion:)
    Hyundai sales are falling fast so I'm not surprised they would let you have a car. Here in Canada they are offering 0% for 72 months, wow! I'd still take any Japanese or American car over a Korean one.
    Not so fast my friend. I actually admire Hyundai a lot for their progress. The Sonota is a very decent car, especially at that price. The Elantra is a reliable solid car as well. I loved the previous generation Tiburon's styling, but the new one is very handsome too.

btrfly,

While you're at it, check out the new generation Kia Spectrum too. It's based on the same platform as the Elantra and has standard features such as side and curtain airbags! Car&Driver gave it a very good review.
    Hyundai does have very good value. Reminds me of Honda 20 years ago.
    whatever you do don't get the pontiac GP (it's basically still an antiquated design with a new body). wait for the G6 instead if you want a pontiac. and opt for the side curtain air bags if they're available on the car you finally choose.
  • gbriankgbriank Member Posts: 220
    I have owned a W body car (Olds Intrigue), which is the same as the GP, and is platform is 16 years old (first used in 1988). Listen to Venus537, you're better off with the new Malibu or the G6. Both are off the a new Epsilon platform from Europe which is share by many other GM divisions (Opel, SAAB, Holden, Vauxhall, Saturn, etc...). I have driven the Malibu V6 and liked it. Sure the steering is a little lighter (electric rather than hydraulic, saps less power from the engine), but it gets better fuel economy, sits higher up and the materials are light years ahead of the older GM products.

If you have access to Consumer Reports, check their fuel economy ratings.... The Malibu kicks the GP in the pants by 6 mpg overall, out accelerates it by .2 second, stops faster and is cheaper.
  • mjohns7861mjohns7861 Member Posts: 41
    I believe my '99 Malibu has this problem - intake manifold gasket. Had previously seen a minor leak of coolant by the engine. It has since stopped. I had to add coolant. Is there a definitive test I can ask my auto shop to run to diagnose this problem? My 'bu has 41K miles.

Also, my ABS light comes on periodically for reasons unknown. Anyone know what the deal is here?

Thanks!
    Thanks everyone for all the help! I really appreciate it! Now I have another question. :)
    I posted this on the Malibu Care & Maintenance board but only got one reply.

Anyone here have a Malibu with the Ultralux seats?Do these seats get dirty easily? Are they easy to clean? How well do you think they will hold up say, over 5 years? I went and test drove another Malibu. This one was an LT with gray Ultralux. I liked it a lot and am thinking about purchasing it but was wondering about the seats? I don't have any kids (a possibility in the future), so that is not an issue. I liked the feel of them better than the cloth. I thought they were a lot more comfortable, but I don't want them to be a constant pain!

Thanks again!
    Kristen
This discussion has been closed.