Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2000-2011 Chevrolet Malibu

Comments

• yurakmyurakm Member Posts: 1,345
    Concerning the intake manifold gasket:

Pressure test the coolant system. It will find coolant leak, if any. Used to cost $20-25, 4-2 years ago, probably still not expensive. I did it at dealer and at local Firestone.

By the way, the car manual recommends to do the pressure test yearly. I have a 1998 Malibu.

I know nothing about ABS, except that the parts are expensive.
  • dan165dan165 Member Posts: 653
    Who cares about the older platform on the GP, the car runs great, has decent build quality and is rattle free. I have had my 04 since last fall and it's been a great car. Yes, the G6 might be better but the deals on the GP will likely make it cheaper.
    Stand by my statement. Until I see some longer term numbers on the Korean cars, I still don't trust them. Many 4-5 year olds I see on the road don't look like they are holding up very well. Besides, when you tell people you have bought a Hyundai or a KIA... not for me.
  • medinamalibumedinamalibu Member Posts: 71
    A couple of winters ago, the ABS light in my 1998 came on. Out of curiosity, I got up to 15mph and stomped the brakes -- slid sideways on the ice. Next time I started it was fine. Never found out (or really cared, for that matter) what the problem was.
  • tamu2002tamu2002 Member Posts: 758
    Good point on the GP. My mentality has been:if I like how it drives in terms of ride and handling. Who cares what's underneath or what self-omportant auto reviewers say? Why pay the premium for something you can't appreciate?

(I know Venus really cares about keeping up with the latest stuff :) No offense intended, could you really FEEL it?)

As far as hyundais go, you do have a point. For example, even though the Sanata has the best initial quality in its class, its long term reliability leaves a lot to be desired. Its the 2001 Malibu that has the best reliability in its class beating Camcords per J D Power. I can see why judging by our 02 LS.
    We're still in the middle of our cross country trip. But thought I'd give an update anyway since the hotel offers free internet.

So far with newly changed synthetic oil and premium gas, we averaged 24-32 mpg in so far 1400 miles. We drove from Indiana west on 94 and 90 through WI, ND, MT, and ID. In all, we ascended 6000 some feet in elevation and were running against fairly strong wind the whole time. The low 24 mpg was obtained on one leg of the trip in NORTH Dakota doing consistently 85 mph. The rest of those miles averaged around 30 mpg doing 75-85 mph. I'm sure the 85 mph speed must've hurt the milage a lot.

Since we drove through a lot of mountainous terrain, I had an interesting observation of how the cruise control worked. When going up not too steep uphills, the transmission didn't downshft untill the car almost made it over the hill, which was quite strange because at that point there really wasn't a need to catch up with the speed anymore. On steep hills the cruise control always downshifted very readily.

I couldn't find shell stations so can't comment on their V-power gas. BTW, maybe using premium gas actually hurt the gas milage as well?
  • kennethkenneth Member Posts: 13
    tamu2002, I think your wasting your money buying premium gas. First, I don't think it improves the mpg (is it proven that higher octane improves gas mileage?); second, even if it did, wouldn't the extra cost of the premium gas offset any savings realized by increased mpg?
  • tricky73tricky73 Member Posts: 132
    I experienced exactly the same problem with my 2004 Malibu as reported in the Edmunds report of August 2004. So far, my contacts with GM seem to indicate their interest is only to see if it was repaired correctly. I am 76 years old and have concern about the frequency of this malfunction (also reported by others) as it relates to older people being able to safely bring this vehicle to a safe stop after the failure...there is no warning re the onset, and I am convinced an elderly woman lacks sufficient strength to operate the vehicle after the failure
  • bporter1bporter1 Member Posts: 229
    Hey Tamu2002, forgive me for asking but what year Malibu do you own? I agree with the above post that if GM does not require premium gas, you are not only wasting your money, but the engine will run a little hotter. Only vehicles that are designed to run on premium gas should the owners buy premium gas. I own a 99 Regal GSE and GM does require the premium fuel because of the supercharger. I can run lower octane gas in my car because the engine has knock sensors, but they also reduce the power output of the engine.
  • mr_botsmr_bots Member Posts: 236
    If you put premium gas in a car that is designed to run on regular you aren't doing anything but paying more for gas. Doing this doesn't effect anything, performance, fuel economy, you name it. Also, in some cases premium fuel in a regular fuel designed car hurts engine performance and efficiency. So don't spend the extra money for premium fuel in your Malibu, it is designed to use regular fuel and runs just as good on regular and regular is cheaper.
  • jcaylorjcaylor Member Posts: 4
    I have 2004 malibu LS mfg. in oct. 2003 and have had a power steering failure also.The dealer replaced the steering column in aug. I'am curious to know if anyone else has had this problem. The steering system is mfg. by the Delphi corp. and if anyone knows if the replace steering column is any better than the original one. As of 9/20 there are over 65 complaints on the NHTSA web site along with there on going investigation into this dangerous problem.
    Dear e2helper: Where did you obtain your infromation on the corrected time for the electrical assist power steering correction. I had a power steering failure on my 2004 malibu LS and the dealer replaced the steering column. I contacted gm and delphi and they would not give me any information to the fact that the replacement column had been corrected.
  • e2helpere2helper Member Posts: 1,002
    Well I actually kinda agree with you all's comments. I was aware of all that but thought I'd give it a try to see what happens. One theory for occasional usage of premium is that the added detergent in premium gas helps clear out the fuel injection system a bit, which is also what Shell's V-power advertisement says. But that might just be marketing.

Another main reason is my company is paying for our move (including gas money I hope), so it'll be a free experiment :)
    So far from what I can observe, the engine runs about the same as far as temp and RPMs. The mileage numbers make sense too considering the driving conditions. I'll go back to regular after this long haul.

BTW, we have a 2002 LS with 20K miles.
  • bigdaddycoatsbigdaddycoats Member Posts: 1,058
    I think I read that you have driven the G6. Have you driven the Malibu as well??

Here is my question - is the steering "tighter" on the G6 than the Malibu?

My father has a Malibu and really likes the electric steering. For my tastes it is way over assisted. It would seem to me that the G6 should have a tighter calibration to go with the "sporty" nature of Pontiac. I
    Doesn't the wheel tighten up when you speed up?
    Yes, but I prefer more feedback even at low speeds.
    I have driven both (actually I drove both a Malibu sedan and a Maxx) but there was a pretty large gap of time between them and so this is only my recollection.

The G6 steering has a "tighter" feel than the Malibu like you expected. It still has the variable assist based on speed so parking lot manuevers are still a breeze but not as much as with the Malibu from what I remember.

What is so cool about the electrical power assist steering is how they can easily calibrate it to go with the "nature" of vehicle. The physical parts are the same but they just modify the calibration to give different feels for each model.
    Another question: The ION and the ION Red Line both use the same type of steering as the Bu and G6. For the Red Line the steering is much tighter, but the amount of steering wheel travel from lock to lock is smaller than the regular ION. Does this mean there are some mechanical differences as well as software changes? Did that make sense?
    Sorry, that is one vehicle I don't know much about. I do know that the electric power steering system is made by a different supplier than the Malibu/G6.
    Thanks e2helper: I had looked at doc. #2 but missed that part. Hopeful the replacment column i got is a revised one.
    NP,

from what it says there looks like service stock was updated in very eary Feb 2004.
  • 79377937 Member Posts: 390
    As far as I can see my Malibu was manufactured on 01-04. That's on the sticker on the side of the door. In the engine bay on the sub frame is a sticker saying date of manufacture is 01-21-04.

My question being, what version of the steering column do you believe I have? I have not had any problems with it so far and am happy with it. If it is not the new version, what is the potential for trouble with the steering later on?
  • kris10kris10 Member Posts: 21
    Does anyone own a Malibu with the Ultralux? Anyone have any advice...is it good, bad, easy to clean, etc.??

Thanks!
    Kristen
    You haven't bought one yet? Sept. 28-30 GM is offering 0% for 72 months on 2004 models.
    My guess is that your vehicle has the old design column.

That is good news about your vehicle.
    A 3 day deal. Wow, I thought only Hyundai offered 0-72. Seems like a long time to pay off a car. Payments for life almost.
    jcaylor

See my post (#4168); the door sticker indicates a mfg date 10/2003...a very early one? The steering column was replaced last week, and after talking with the service Manager, he assured me I will have no further problems because the replacement column includes a revised componet to eliminate the difficulty. If you have not replaced the column yet, I would strongly advise you to have it done because it is certainly a spooky experience, and I remain convinced an average female driver could not safely bring the car to a stop without a high probability of an accident...it is just that difficult to turn without power assistance! GM customer service from the web is no help...they deny the problem, and state their only function is to assure problems are repaired properly...possible safety hazards are seemingly of little concern to them
    How about feedback from all owners who have had the steering column replaced to indicate whether this really fixes the problem. Mine was replaced last week, and so far, so good. The service Manager assured me the new column had a revised component and that I would have no further problems. Anybody else have comments?
  • john14john14 Member Posts: 2
    My 99LS has developed a strange problem. With the thermostat turned off, the heat continues to flow at full blast when the car is moving and the blower motor is turned off. On other occasions, the heat won't flow at all, even when the thermostat is turned to full heat and the blower motor turned on. This doesn't appear to be a blower motor problem; I think it's a problem with the flow of heat from the engine to the car's inside. Anyone have a idea what's going on? I appreciate any inputs.
  • triedntrutriedntru Member Posts: 73
    Our EPS failure happened when the car had about 9000 miles. We bought our car back in November 2003, which was well before the eventual fix in Febuary 2004.

Now, we have about 14,000 miles on the car, and we've never had a problem with power steering since the fix.

I saw a really pimped out Maxx at the plant a while back. It didn't have any badging on it, which I thought was strange. I'm thinking it was the Maxx SS concept that was at one of the auto shows a while back. I thought it looked pretty nice.
  • mthexumamthexuma Member Posts: 43
    Hmmmmm, let me think about this a minute.....

GM - 72 hour sale - 0%

Toyota - 0% - About 1000 times better than any GM car

Honda - no deals

I would still buy the Toyota or Honda because they don't need to make deals to sell their cars, they just sell! The fact that toyota is doing deals is what peole should take advantage of, American companies always make deals. If GM didn't do cash back or 0% they wouldn't sell a car.
  • mthexumamthexuma Member Posts: 43
    With 0% for that long means that you GM car will be broken down on the side of the road and you will still be paying for it.
  • triedntrutriedntru Member Posts: 73
    I don't even know why I waste lifting a finger to respond, but I find you amusing.

You say - "About 1000 times better than any GM car"

If I were you I wouldn't even waste my time trying answer the following question, but I can't resist asking:

Can you please specify ANY measurable or quantifiable characteristic about a Toyota that is 1000 times better than any competing car?

You might find this challenging, because it requires FACTS.

So, I'll give you a theoretical example: Let's pretend (I know you're good at that) that the Malibu gets 1 mile per gallon, and Toyota has a car that gets 1000 miles per gallon. When you do the math (don't be afraid to use a calculator), that means the Toyota is 1000 times better, and you've supported your claim! Oh Happy!
  • maxx4memaxx4me Member Posts: 1,340
    Have pitty Dave. He probably just got back from another gut wrenching experience at his local Toyota dealer. You know the one: "buy my car at my price or leave my showroom"!! There isn't a Toyota built that can hold a candle to the interior room of the Malibu. Can't talk now Dave; I need to go scrape the sludge out of my Camry's engine....
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Hey there - we're having a reasonable conversation about this vehicle. You can join us if you are interested in a civil conversation. But the thing is that the two posts you've made make it seem as if your purpose is just to bash it.

If that's that case, then okay, you've made your opinion known. There's no need to keep on about it.

Thanks.
  • exalteddragon1exalteddragon1 Member Posts: 729
    "Incentives help bring surge in Sept. auto sales
    GM leads the way with 24.9% jump

It picked up a strong 3.8 percentage points of market share compared with September 2003, capturing 31.7 percent of industry sales."

http://www.freep.com/money/autonews/sales2e_20041002.htm

Your descision to buy a Malibu helped Bring GM back to life! We don't need you toyota, nissan, America can make her own cars and trucks!
  • venus537venus537 Member Posts: 1,443
    but can GM build cars that sell that briskly without bribery?

and what is really an "american" cars these days?

"we" americans like having lots of choices so the foreign makes aren't going anywhere soon.
    GM factors in incentives when they configure pricing structures.
  • hbund216hbund216 Member Posts: 162
    About a month ago I took a trip to from LA to Grand Canyon then Vegas and back. I took my mom's 04 Malibu. The car was great. Four people, luggage, 104 degrees going uphill with the AC on. The car was not even straining! I liked it for long trips a lot. It was getting around 29 MPG. Not my type of car but it beats by 2000 Accord when it comes to long drives. Oh and mom loves her car too.
    if cars like the Malibu were bad no amount of incentives could move them.

The Malibu, for example is a better car in a number of respects (fuel economy and price bieng a few) than the accord, but many people have this perception that the accord is just the better car, offering a crazy incentive would get people with that perception to reconsider, and those who buy just saved themselves a load of money on a superrior product for simple, comfortable, fuel efficient transportation.
    Thanks tricky73: I had my steering column replaced around aug. 27. So far i haven't had any more problems with it.e2helper dircted me to a document on the nthsa site that revealed the new components had been incorporated in the replacement steering column in feb 2004.Sorry i had not responded sooner but i was having trouble login in to the forums web site.
  • beedublubeedublu Member Posts: 236
    "The Malibu, for example is a better car in a number of respects (fuel economy and price bieng a few) than the accord, but many people have this perception that the accord is just the better car"...

Good point...I test drove a Maxx and an Accord LX, back-to-back, over the same roads and within an hour of each other. The difference in the driving experience was *so* negligible. And the Maxx gives me 25% more horsepower, side-curtain airbags, traction control and a ton more cargo space all for less than the 4-cylinder Accord. (And not even counting my GM Card rebate).
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    The 2005 Accord has side impact and side curtain airbags standard, the Malibu does not. Are thoacic bags available for the 2005 Malibu or is it still only the side curtain with no chest protection? The Malibu is a very good value, but its not on par with an Accord in terms of execution. Its darn close though, and GM should be proud. Where does the Malibu fall down for me? Interior materials quality is significantly improved over the past, but it doesnt approach Accord levels, nor does the Malibu offer the Accord's superb electroluminescent instrumentation. ABS is still an option on the most basic Malibu, as well.

~alpha
    For the 2005 model side airbag option on Malibu include thorax bags in front seats to go along with the side curtains.
  • maxx4memaxx4me Member Posts: 1,340
    I drove the two side by side as well. I think the Accord is much more refined under the hood. However, as a complete package, the pendulum swings the other way.....the Accord can't touch the Malibu in overall value, convenience and design.
    And the Malibu 4 (ecotec) should be as refined under the hood as the Accord four cyl, but I have never driven an ecotec, so I wouldn't know.
    What i do know is that the little bit or extra execution in the accord accounts for and insane premium when compared with the malibu. And the Bu might not have some features standard (hence the price) but you could get them and still cost less than a comparable accord. Don't forget the incentives and GM card. The Bu is a killer deal, the only other reason to buy an accord is that type of styling, but the G6 will more than handle that :)
  • 307web307web Member Posts: 1,033
    Might as well forget about the ecotec when the V6 get's such good mileage.
    The V6 Accord is much more refined, but pricewise, you would compare the V6 Malibu to a 4 cylinder Accord, then the Accord has much less advantage.
    A stripped Malibu compares to a Civic.
  • 37453745 Member Posts: 152
    Highway mileage for the Ecotec Malibu is 38mpg. Acceleration of the Ecotec Malibu is neck and neck the same as the 4cyl. Accord. The Ecotec has very good low end torque and a very responsive transmission. Twin balance shafts give the power delivery a turbine like feel. I have easily achieved 90mph and could have gone higher if I had wanted to.

A stripped Malibu compares to a Civic? No way!
  • 307web307web Member Posts: 1,033
    Pricewise it compares to a Civic since a 2005 Civic LX goes for about $16,000 and you can get a plain 2005 Malibu discounted to that price.
    Some people say they have managed to get nearly the same gas mileage with the V6 as the Ecotec.
This discussion has been closed.