Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Solara

Comments

• canccanc Member Posts: 715
    Hi Ivonne, congratulations on your purchase! Solaras are great cars, but um, I'm biased. :) Anyway, it's been my experience that the Achille's heel for Toyotas is the paint. Since Toyota (and I'm assuming almost all car companies these days) have switched to a water-based paint, which is more environmentally friendly but is prone to chipping. Get a bottle of touch-up paint. The "protective sealant" the dealership sells you when you purchase the car is nothing but a high-priced wax job on your car. It won't do anything in terms of chipping. If anything, look for a clear plastic bra for your car (3M makes them). It'll help with the chipping and won't spoil the look of your car.

Happy driving!
  • suvshopper4suvshopper4 Member Posts: 1,110
    Have you taken this up with the dealer?
    You bought the car new, and paid for the sealant.
    Why not find out what they might be willing to do to make it right, for a start?
  • nirvana2knirvana2k Member Posts: 2
    My 2000 Soalra SE keeps turning off on me when it is warm. I turn the key and it is on for about 1 second and then it shuts off unless I accelerate once I release the accelerator it turns off. The weird thing is that it only does that when the wheels are in a certain angle. If I turn it on on neutral and accelerate and really quickly put in drive than it is fine. It is only turning the car on that is giving me headaches! PLEASE HELP IF YOU HAVE ANY IDEA ON WHAT IT CAN BE.

THANKS!
  • loucopitsloucopits Member Posts: 103
    My 2004 Solara has the 3 pods on top of the dash for the computer readout, clock and outside temp. They are almost impossible to read unless the light is just right and completely impossible to read with sunglasses on. Has anyone found any way to fix this - replacement of the LCD displays, better contrast or complete replacement, preferably courtesy of Toyota?
  • cherryhill4cherryhill4 Member Posts: 1
    It's not your imagination. That's what the dealership wants you to think. They also try to convince you the road slopes. I've taken my Solara Sport Coupe to the dealership three times to get this problem fixed. It never gets better. I feel unsafe. I'm taking this issue up with Toyota. Don't let them (service reps) convince you it's your imagination, the sloping road, or otherwise. I'm so glad I googled this website (in a fit of frustration).
    Why don't they recall this car instead of brushing it under the rug?
  • mighty_mikemighty_mike Member Posts: 1
    Hey guys, I've been looking into picking up a used 2002 Solara. I live in Toronto, Canada and we tend to get an ample amount of snow in the winter time. I was wondering what sort of winter driving experiences some of you might have had. You know, snow tires etc. Anyways any info would be much appreciated. Also, any extra feedback on your experiences with the 2002 SLE (like major defects or even good stuff) would really help. Thanks
    -Mike
    :shades:
  • rblelandrbleland Member Posts: 312
    We had a '99 Solara here in Kelowna for 6 winters, and it was driven daily by my wife. Had 4 snows on dedicated wheels and with the Traction Control never had a lick of problem with it in the winter. We traded it last Spring for an '06 Solara SLE-V6 coupe and will do the same with it, put on 4 snows and you'll be fine.
  • photogal57photogal57 Member Posts: 13
    Hi there,
    Wellll. I had a 2003, loved it until I got into an accident. Anyway, the convertible top let in alot of road noise as it got older. Keep taking it in. The mechanics, although good, have a lot of excuses. For example, the top, when opened would stop halfway. Drove me crazy. I was tols that it needed realignment, then I didn't keep my finger on the button right... Be persistent. The only thing I can guarantee you'll have trouble getting is the loaner. I had the same problem. I could only get one when they had the car for more than one day. Next time negotiate that condition and have them put it in writing.
  • moms_maxmoms_max Member Posts: 62
    I know, I know...most people don't buy them 'cuz they're a rip-off. BUT...with all the moving parts involved in just lowering & raising the roof on my SLE convertible (including the 'all window down' thing), we thought it might be a good idea - especially since we tend to keep our cars a l-o-n-g time! I've researched the Toyota Warranty dealership in the midwest, and also Warranty Direct in NY. Does anyone have any experience with either of those companies?
  • david85david85 Member Posts: 1
    cherryhill4,

I recently had the same identical problem. Over 3 - 4 days at the dealership, they were able to figure it out. If your interested, I can provide you with the Toyota Cast Number, the dealership that took care of this, and all the details of the repair. Note: The car now drive perfectly!

David
  • solara2kdesolara2kde Member Posts: 5
    Hello all!
    It's been a while since I've posted on here. But, this appears to be best place for information. (2000 SE Solara Coupe.)

I need to replace the O2 sensor on my car. Again. The simple question is how many are there and where are they hiding? The last time I had to do this, I got soaked by the dealer.

The catalytic converter smells to be failing. I don't want to go back to the dealer for this either. Anyone know of a good source for a new unit? I have the stock exhaust on it.

BTW: I've had the same problem with 2000 model wandering/pulling on the road. After comparing this $26k car to a $19k car, I was told I expected too much from the $26k Solara by the regional rep. She was lucky she was a woman.
  • iiiflyiiifly Member Posts: 2
    I'm about to buy an 02' Solara Coupe 4cyl. I'm getting a little worried about some of the problems reported here. Pulling to the right????? Please, can everyone let me know what should I check in the prepurchase inspection? I'm suppossed to pick it up tommorow, but I can still back out of the deal.

2002 Solara Coupe
    90k Miles on it.
    $8,000

The trunk release latch that goes around the gas cover release latch is the only thing thats broken on the car. Everything else is clean, in tact. Can the manual latch be replaced easily?
    If you are concerned about the car pulling to one side, I suggest that after your test drive, you check the tire pressures (esp. front) to see that they are about equal.

Pulling can be masked by playing with tire inflation.
  • astonmanastonman Member Posts: 3
    I have a 5 by 8 trailer and would like to add a hitch to my 2006 Solara 4 cyl. to haul up to 3000 lbs or so. Has anyone had experience towing with a Solara?

I bought my Solara for fuel economy and to save wear and tear on my Tundra.
  • dallassolaradallassolara Member Posts: 1
    i am new to the Forum and hope i can find some help. I have a 2002 Solara SLE convertible that has a horrible shake between 20-45 mph. the car has 82,000 miles and I just recently replaced the front struts, all of the engine and transmission mounts and replaced 2 tires. I took the car to a Toyota dealer and he said there was nothing mechanically wrong, but that the 2 new tires were bad. I took the car back and they rebalanced and road tested all 4 wheels and replaced the new tires with new Michelin tires. I don’t know where to go next. Have there been problems with these Solara’s?

Thanks for any help, it is no fun to drive right now.
  • iiiflyiiifly Member Posts: 2
    I had this same problem in a different car though (i have this car). I would look at the axles - on my last car they were actually loose and causing the vibration (may be overlooked - tighten the bolts).
  • roberts5roberts5 Member Posts: 35
    The Solara is usually two years behind the Camry for a redo. Might it be in 2009 that we see a hybrid Solara? What other vechiles in Toyota's lineup might be next for the Hybrid Synenergy?
    Thanks for sharing any info.
    I have heard that there will be no new model of Solara. Anyone else hear this?

I've been very pleased with the two I have owned and was hoping for another one in a few years.
  • rblelandrbleland Member Posts: 312
    I have heard the same - the Solara is to be dropped after this 2007 year. Wife has had a '99 SLE coupe which was an excellant car, and now has an '06 SLE coupe which has been great for the one year she has had it.

Apparently, Toyota does not sell enough of them to warrent building it anymore. Don't know for sure, just talk.
  • toyotatoystoyotatoys Member Posts: 118
    In my opinion, when Toyota decided to launch the Scion for the younger crowd (bought an 07 tC for my daughter), they should have restored the Celica nameplate instead of the Solara (bought an 06 for my wife). The Celica nameplate ran for almost 40 years and those cars had very good reputations and performance. The last model year of the Celica (2000-2005?) was obviously focused on the younger crowd, which I think are the same group buying the Scion. I still think that Toyota needs to cater to the 30 and up age group who want a coupe, and a hard-top convertible version.

I belong to the crowd that misses the Supra, Celica, and Lexus SC300/400 series. I just got rid of my 93 SC300, and I'm missing it already. To me the 93-99 model years were when Toyota really came up with very good designs.
  • ezshift5ezshift5 Member Posts: 858
    ..... belong to the crowd that misses the Supra, Celica, and Lexus SC300/400 series. I just got rid of my 93 SC300, and I'm missing it already.

....you're not alone. 127k on a Supra Turbo (until some scrotaglia didn't react and hit me from behind); considered an sc300 with the manual shift but settled for a Solara with V6/5M. No more manual shift Solara sixes.........guess what I now drive? Hint: 6M/VTEC/RON 87.

best, ez..
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,644
    I've heard the Solara often compared to the Mitsu Eclipse sometimes favorably, sometimes unfavorably. Anyone on this board care to offer opinion. From reading the auto reviews they seem to get positive and negative comments in similar areas. Is there any real difference?

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• solara31solara31 Member Posts: 14
    An individual who states he works on the Camry/Solara lines has heard that the Solara coupe will be discontinued in August 2007, however the convertible will continue until September 2008. Don't know if Toyota will badge the last remaining Solaras built as 2008 models; I think they will just keep calling them 2007 unitl they cease building the hardtops.

I have a red 2006 SLE V6, my second Solara. I am going to miss that car. Toyota is going to be where Nissan was before the Z, with no coupe in their lineup. Scion has attracted the younger crowd, and Lexus does has the SC430 (which is too expensive for most people). I don't understand why Toyota would exit the midsize coupe market. Honda is continuing with the Accord coupe, and Nissan is coming out with the Altima coupe.
  • luckycaitluckycait Member Posts: 2
    OK So I have a 2004 Solara SE Sport and we are getting ready to sell it, we purchased it Certified used in '05 with 12,000 mi on it, with 100,000 mi warranty. KBB is only appraising it between 13-14K which seems kind of low to me. I have seen so many clasifieds in our area selling my exact model for 16-19K. What does everyone think is a fair price for a EXCEPTIONALLY CLEAN / WELL TAKEN CARE OF car? It has 52K Mi on it but we are selling the 100,000 warranty with it?? :confuse:
  • dennis1meaddennis1mead Member Posts: 8
    Is yours the 2.4. If so, what supercharger did you use.

dennismead @ my way.com
  • dennis1meaddennis1mead Member Posts: 8
    Anybody know anybody who has done it?
  • DABurackDABurack Member Posts: 11
    'Tis a shame. If so, I am so in love with the Solara line that I am thinking to trade in my late 2003 for the 2007 and hope to baby the new one for 10 years or until I die or something equivalent comes along. I checked with Toyota in Vermont, where I live, and they said they can find no 2007 Solara coupes, just convertibles, among all the New England dealerships, which is puzzling. Does that mean that the line is already petering out? I will buy in NY if I have to, or Carolina for that matter.

I don't know about the Altima coupe, and I've never preferred the Accord. I would get a BMW 380i coupe if I could afford it. What else is there?

:cry:
  • katiewgkatiewg Member Posts: 2
    Hello. I see you own a 2003 Solara. I just bought one and it comes with a remote trunk release, but I can't seem to find the manual release inside the car. I've looked down by the gas door release, in the glove compartment, can't seem to find it. The car didn't come with an owner's manual either. And I can't seem to pop the trunk with the remote when the keys are in the ignition. I have to stop the car, take the keys out of the ignition, point the remote at the trunk, then pop the trunk with the remote. There has to be a better way! Can you help me out please. Thank, much obliged. ~Katie
    Try opening the glove box door.
    Then look for a button to the left of the storage area of the box, but not IN the box.
    At least, that's where it is on the 2002.
    Hope this helps.
    My 2004 Solara will need replacement tires in a few months. The original tires are Bridgestone Potenza RE92, size P215 60 R16 94V.
    The people at the Tire Rack have suggested two potential replacements:
    1. Continental Extreme Contact
    2. Firestone Firehawk GT
    I wonder if anyone has used either of these as replacements, or have other suggestions.
  • katkellykatkelly Member Posts: 1
    I only had my car for a month - 2007 SLE Solara Coupe. My leather was dirty when I got it under the rear window. First they told me it was the UV protection. Next time I told them and they cleaned it up. My leather above the glove compartment had dirt - I thought. I cleaned it with leather cleaner but it didn't come out BUT the leater color did and it was actually black. Bad dye job.

Also, I had a chip in the paint after 1 week that I had to get repaired. I have several scrathes already and I have been soooo careful since my car is new.

Very disappointed and will not recommend the car! It really looks better than the quality it really is and I found out 1 week too late!
  • stevenh7stevenh7 Member Posts: 33
    I've been driving a Honda Prelude the last 10 years and I have so many miles on it, I'm looking to replace it with another coupe in the < $25,000 range. I'm considering the Solara, a great looking car. I haven't had a chance to test drive it yet and was wondering how it handles (does it give the driver a good feel of the road? does it have much body roll around corners?). I'm really tired of a car I have to climb out of and where I feel every bump. I'm sure the Solara is much more plush. Just wanted some opinions on the handling. Not too many coupes left out there in my price range. Thanks.
  • 99solara99solara Member Posts: 51
    Steven, I am the original owner of a '99 Solara V6 5-speed manual. The Solara is not a drivers car. ie: Road feel / cornering are not strong points. The car has been rock solid in reliability. The interior comfort,highway ride and JBL sound system have been excellent. I have to agree the market is low on affordable, reliable coupes. IMHO the '08 Accord Coupe may be a good option. Accords tend to be more "sporty" than the Camry line.
  • stevenh7stevenh7 Member Posts: 33
    Thanks for your reply. I test drove it last night and I have to say the comfort over bumps was really nice for a change. I also like the interior / exterior comfort. Although I couldn't tell with a short ride, you are probably right. Bummer. Maybe I'll test drive the current Accord Coupe. Do you know when the 2008 Accord comes out?
  • 99solara99solara Member Posts: 51
    According to www dot vtec dot net -- 2008 rumor is this September
  • scribsscribs Member Posts: 1
    Yesterday my wife and I purchased a new, never titled 2006 SE coupe (74 miles). Could anyone tell me where to purchase high quality front/rear mud flaps. Toyota does not offer them. Powerlow tells me they make one (#6402), but I believe that that is a universal fit. Thanks and we love the car.
    Salesman at local Toyota shop told me the Solara will be gone when they run out of 2007 models.

He said that a new Supra was the replacement.
  • crysikcrysik Member Posts: 2
    I love toyota soo much. I bought my 99 toyota solara sle(v6) about 2 years ago at 89000 miles now it has 135000. It runs smooth but i got some problems with the breaks. After my break booster went they haven't been the same. only other thing that went is the starter. AND i didnt get the gelling prob that this engin can get
    I agree with #3967. It is a matter of personal taste. I can say that as the previous owner of a '99 Solara and the current owner of a 2003, and planning to buy the 2007 (I want to be the last on one my block to own one), I just love it. I compared it with the Prelude at the time I bought the '99, and had no question that the Solara fit me better. But the remarks on handling in #3967 are correct.
    Katie,

Just saw your post. All I can do is your same trick with the ignition key, pointing the remote back at the trunk. I will run downstairs now in hopes that the other guy;s posting-- about a button in the glove box -- is true.
    Sorry, I meant that I agree with post #3767, not #3967.
  • passatownerpassatowner Member Posts: 16
    I am interested in trading in my '02 Passat for either a Solara or Accord Coupe (w/beige cloth interior, woodgrain, moonroof). I've test-driven the 4 cyl Accord, which has a good amount of power. I haven't yet test driven the Solara (closest Toyota dealership doesn't have ANY). Does anyone have preferences between the two? With less horsepower than the 4cyl Accord, is the 4cyl Solara still pretty powerful? Also, with Solaras being discontinued, how would this affect negotiating ability, re-sale value and repair/maintenance costs (finding parts, etc)?
  • enctigerenctiger Member Posts: 3
    Did you were able to find out how to replace the rear speakers I need to replace mine too if you would tell me how.

Thanks.
  • enctigerenctiger Member Posts: 3
    Did you got any answers about the 6x9 replacements Im trying to do the same thing.
    let me know enctiger@yahoo.com

Thank you
  • pjw2pjw2 Member Posts: 5
    I don't believe you have poor "radio reception". I too own a 2005 solara convertible and the radio (AM/FM/CD) fade in and out. It is not a reception issue. May be a wiring issue, but further investigation will determine this.
  • j9kwonj9kwon Member Posts: 2
    Hello, I just bought 2000 solara and sound is great.
    Only problem is I don't have owner's manual and base sound is too loud, I think.
    Anybody has an idea how to adjust sound system?
    Thanks!!!!
    I believe if you push in the tuner knob
    (the knob on the right side)
    you'll see the various adjustable items
    (treble, bass, balance, fade) come up,
    a new one with each push of the knob.

Then twist the same knob to set the desired position.

At least, that's how it is with 2001 Toyota audio.
  • j9kwonj9kwon Member Posts: 2
    Thanks!!!
    I feel dumb myself..lol
    It's same with 2000 solara
  • solaraman2003solaraman2003 Member Posts: 92
    I have a 2006 SLEv6.

The originals were also Potenzas.

At 54k I replaced them with BRIDGESTONE TURNAZA LS-H and have been VERY VERY happy with them. I now have 92k on the car, so I've driven almost 40k with these new tires and there is plenty of tread left. They are wearing nicely. Of course, I do bring the car in for the 7.5k rotation, so that certainly helps.
    Got Goodyear Assurance ComforTred with an $80 rebate for 4. Also get free rotation for life of the tires.

Very pleased with them.