Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2000-2011 Chevrolet Malibu

Comments

• n0rsemann0rseman Member Posts: 8
    "Just look at Edmund's own True ownership cost for a 07 Camry vs the 07 Malibu. The much cheaper Malibu will actually be more expensive to own in the long run than the Camry. GEEZ I WONDER WHY ? Is that proof enough for you ?"

I did look and you don't know what you are talking about.
    I looked at them both and went with the Malibu. Much better value then the CamCord.

2007 Camry
    True Cost to Own* $39,704 view details
    Total Cash Price $25,635 view details
    Average Cost per Mile* $0.53 compare similar vehicles
    * This is a 5-year estimate (based on 15,000 miles per year).

2007 Malibu
    True Cost to Own* $37,020 view details
    Total Cash Price $22,638 view details
    Average Cost per Mile* $0.49 compare similar vehicles
    * This is a 5-year estimate (based on 15,000 miles per year).

How's the Yota Kool Aid?
  • shadow5599shadow5599 Member Posts: 101
    Interesting indeed, but not at all surprising.

Hey Andy, if you buy cars my way, find me a 05 Camry with 10,000 miles, ALL the safety and comfort features my Mailibu has. What would you pay? That'll make that per mile cost gap alot wider. So feel free, drive the Camry, spend the extra money. I'll stick to my tried and true cost saving plan.

How about another example...purchased a 82 Malibu station wagon in 95 for $2500. Was in exceptional shape and was my family's daily driver for 9 years. In that time we put on about 100,000 Kilometres and it cost about $1000 in repairs/maintenance consisting of a rad, heater core, alternator, tires, muffler, brakes. It never let me down and has been driven by my 18 year old for the past 2 years, and still is driven every day. Its still a smooth riding and quiet car to drive, unlike imports of that era. I can give many other examples of my smart and low cost car buying/ownership. And I dont live in Arkansas.

Anyway, its been fun, c'mon back anytime :P
  • maxxindmaxxind Member Posts: 22
    Exactly, just saw the same thing. In my Zip Code the Malibu was .52 cents a mile and the Camry was .54 cents a mile.

Even if Consumer Reports does have six million subscribers (I don't have the figure), that makes up perhaps 3 percent of car owners in the U.S. Could you do a valid survey by hearing from only 3 percent of car owners? Absolutely -- you could, in fact, do it with far fewer people than that. But only if you do one of two things:

1. Get a true random sample. That means people do not choose to participate, they are contacted completely at random and asked their opinions or experiences with cars. In getting a true random sample, you do not even use a phone book, because that isn't a true random sample (not everyone has a wired telephone listed on the phone book).

2. Use a scientifically-selected sample, where you choose a certain number of car owners from every demographic group, different areas of the country, representing all ages, races, income levels, etc.

A survey that readers of a certain magazine tear out of that magazine or receive in the mail and send in if they feel like doing so is neither of those things. It is statistically invalid because the survey is neither random nor scientifically-selected, and Consumer Reports readers as a group clearly would have numerous characteristics that would make them different from the typical U.S. car owner.

All this doesn't mean Hondas and Toyotas aren't good cars. I think they're fine, and they give many people good service. But in my opinion, Consumer Reports' perceptions of them are inflated because of the inherent bias of their reader group, which has pre-conceived notions about the quality of those makes of cars.
  • andy82471andy82471 Member Posts: 120
    How's the Yota Kool Aid?

much better than Garbage Motor's Kool Aid.
    I am sure Toyota will be very happy if GM keeps on peddling its pushrod junk and 3 speed oops i mean 4 speed auto.
    With all due respect, the Camry and Accord are the best selling midsize cars. The Malibu was suppose to be a credible competitor to the CamCord but GM as usual failed miserably to build a credible alternative. Why is that ? I am sure not all Camcord buyers are CR subscribers. I am sure a lot of them wanted to give GM a fair chance but wasn't impressed by the Malibu's powertrain refinement.
  • ksjmomksjmom Member Posts: 1
    My Passlock has been acting up for over a year, leaving me stranded around town at 10-minute intervals. I asked the Chevy dealer if it could be disabled, and they said "no". They suggested that I start correcting the problem with a new ignition key. Now, for the past 3 days, my theft system light has been on steadily. Is this an indication that Passlock is not working at all? If so, that's fine - I just want to know if I should bother with getting a diagnosis from the dealer.
  • n0rsemann0rseman Member Posts: 8
    Great come back! Now I understand the mind of the typical Camcord buyer. image

And for the 4 speed tranie crack. These are for the most part flawless trannies. Unlike the 07 6 minus 2 speed Toyota Camry trannie. And you call the Malibus drive train unrefined. image

I haven't even touched on the Camry sludge monster engines yet. image

• mr_botsmr_bots Member Posts: 236
    Everyone has a right to their own opinion. The Camry is overall better than a Malibu, but it costs a lot more. The price is the only reason I chose mine over some of my other choices. Where else could I have gotten a brand new, V6 car with power locks, mirrors, and windows, remote start, xm radio, etc. for under $17,000 that can get over 35mpg on the highway.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    Sheesh...is this a comparison topic? Nope, it's about the Malibu only here. However, if you want to continue comparing the Malibu vs. Camry, you may do so here.

Oh yeah, let's drop the confrontational, personal pot shots. We don't have to be friends, but common courtesy is preferred. :)
    Thanks Karen, you're right, this was turning a bit ugly and personal. People do get passionate about their cars!

I think I've said it before but I chose what I did based on research, many, many test drives of many cars, safety ratings, and price. I'm not dead set on GM and in fact I came very close to purchasing my 1st import. I loved the Nissan Altima and will be looking into those again in the future. Another I almost went for was a 06 Hyundai Sonata but in the end it was just too many $$.

I dont think I "settled" and am very happy with the Malibu and would like to tell people who are confused about what to buy, as I was, that it is a very nice car to drive. It continues to impress me and others daily.

I'm sure all of us Malibu owners will be more than happy to share what we learned through our research and first hand experience as owners so hopefully we can get back to that and play nice :D
  • venus537venus537 Member Posts: 1,443
    "there's quality of materials used both inside and outside.
    how good is the fit and finish?"
    It is excellent, as good as it gets in the industry

as good as it gets in the industry that's absurd. one example: check out the cheap black unfinished plastic housing the exterior mirrors on the malibu and then look at an accord.

"how do the doors sound when closed including the trunk?"
    Again, excellent, solid and better when compared to many asians.

not compared to honda and toyota it's not. you'll notice a difference between a malibu and an accord with the door closing test, especially with the trunk.

"how refined and responsive is the engine when pushed?"

True at the wheels rated HP and response is great. The asians measure HP at the flywheel so take that into account. GM may look unrefined but the old pushrod engine has many decades of refinement. It's solid and simple, nothing wrong with that.

horsepower is measured the same way for these vehicles. you're not being honest if you think the malibu's engines are at the same level as those from honda, nissan and toyota.

"how well is the transmission matched to the engine?"
    GM has always been good at that, the V6 propels this car quite nicely, to the surprise of many asian car owners as they once again get a view of the back of it pulling away from them.

factually incorrect. the altima, accord, and camry will easily overwhelm a malibu when it comes to pulling away.

"how well does the suspension handle the road at various speeds?"
    The suspension is great, being based on the 9-3 it always gets good reviews for handling.

probably the biggest improvement from the last malibu, but the suspension floats more than an accord over bad payment.

i'm not saying anybody is an idiot for getting a malibu. for a lot of people it makes a lot of sense. the malibu is simply not at the same level as an accord or camry.

it's not a matter of perception either. the industry considers these cars the standard bearers in their segment.
    Every day I see those early 80's rear wheel drive Cutlass, Malibu, etc but very few imports of that vintage.

perhaps it's because in those days those cars sold in much much higher numbers than the japanese cars. the japanese cars in that era were pretty much exclusively in the economy segment.
    "horsepower is measured the same way for these vehicles. you're not being honest if you think the malibu's engines are at the same level as those from honda, nissan and toyota."

Not everyone thinks they are measured the same way.
    http://www.detnews.com/2005/autosinsider/0508/17/A01-283759.htm

"Altima, accord, and camry will easily overwhelm a malibu when it comes to pulling away."
    I and other Malibu owners know that to be not factually true based on real-life, in-car road experiences.

As for the Accord/Malibu comparison, I've done it, drove em, researched em. I guess I like the North American feel on a car and GM for cost of ownership in my experience cant be beat. I dont place too much importance on exterior mirror finish. My top criteria was safety and cost of ownership combined with a solid feeling fun car to drive. The other great things I got in the Malibu turned out to be a big bonus.

The only car I liked better of the 3 you mention is the Altima but cost of ownership is higher, safety rating is lower and based on owners' comments, they have a high incidence of problems. As far as handling, yes, I loved the Altima! Cant say the same for the Accord or Camry. And if I had wanted to go into debt for twice as much $$, I would've chosen a Sonata, not one of those.

If you follow the forums on the new Malibus, you'll notice there's really only one major problem that comes up and it's been fixed. Other than that EPS problem with some 04's, most other complaints you see are trivial or rare.

But anyway, there's a new topic started, Malibu vs Camry. This should be carried on over there.
    Maybe Karen can rename it to Malibu vs Camry/Accord :P
    new guidelines were put in place to measure horsepower (per your link). the horsepower ratings for the current accord and camry reflect that. thus, the horsepower ratings are now measured pretty much in the same manner.

unless you live in an alternate universe, the malibu is noticeably slower than the japanese cars i mentioned. this is not a matter of opinion. of course the malibu has more than enough power, it's not lacking in this area. it just has an agriculture sounding engine.

what is a matter of opinion would be you thinking the malibu is a fun car to drive. who am i to tell you what fun is.

if your top criteria for a car really was safety and cost of ownership combined with a fun solid driving feeling, then you wouldn't be driving a malibu. the fusion and accord fill that need much better.

as for your mirror comment, i was just pointing out ONE example of why the malibu is clearly not leading the industry in fit and finish.
  • lasergamelasergame Member Posts: 5
    Many of the cars that are mentioned on this forum describe these cars as "fun" to drive. {You've got to be kidding}. If you want fun, drive an exotic, or a new Mustang, Corvette, Wrangler, or something else. I own a Malibu, and I find it far from "fun" to drive. My next car is going to be a 2009 Dodge Challenger. That will be a fun car to drive.
  • poncho167poncho167 Member Posts: 1,178
    I agree. CR is a bunch of garbage and seems to only be reliable on household appliances. If you live in California you are likely to see mostly Japanese cars and thus your perception is swayed the Japanese way. I see many more American cars here in the Midwest than Japanese still on the road. And seeing a 1980's model Japanese car is somewhat rare.

JD Powers is a trusted unbiased source on automotive and financial evaluations and has determined the Malibu, Regal, and a couple other GM cars to be tops in longevity with the 3 year 50,000 mile reliability evaluation.

A lot of people sit home and watch way too many commercials and believe everything they say or see, thus they are biased, predgidice, or ill informed. Their perceptions are hard to change, and they usually end up paying more in the long run on their foreign cars from those who I know or have been acquaintances with.
    We even bother responding or making comments on this board if you don't care for the Malibu. I sure wouldn't go over to the Toyota forum and make negative comments there even though many people do.
  • jameysmsjameysms Member Posts: 1
    I have the same question about my malibu. Did you have any luck getting an answer that was useful? Please let me know.

John
    ...believe everything they say or see, thus they are biased, predgidice, or ill informed

and you don't see how your comments can come accross as putting you in this light?

buyers of honda and toyota vehicles tend to be more educated, more informed and have more income than your average buyer. yet you know better.

this so called ignorance and perception problem would have to go well beyond CR. it would have to entail almost ALL of the auto media. how well did the malibu fare in Edmunds' last comparison test in which it participated in?

As far as JD powers, the GM cars that did well in the longevity survey were cars that had old designs. They should have the bugs worked out. those cars even did well in CR reliability ratings, just not so well in the road tests.

the malibu is a solid family car. it's not the world class car that lutz had promised however. the thrust of my comments is this: the camry and accord are higher quality vehicles and the people who drive them were not hoodwinked into buying a perception.
  • e2helpere2helper Member Posts: 1,002
    Factory XM does use the same radio, except for base CD radio with single line display which doesn't work with XM or OnStar.

However your vehicle doesn't have wiring for XM "given-away". The factory XM receiver would be located in right hand side of trunk. with antenna coax cable running up under headliner to antenna on front part of roof which requires holes in roof for attachment.

This doesn't really asnwer your question but I am pretty sure that dealers wouldn't get involved with trying to install factory parts and most likely you would be looking at some type of aftermarket XM receiver with an FM transmitter to radio or something.
    Anytime you have higher cost products, the buyers will be "higher income, better educated," because it's a not surprising statistical fact that people who are able to pay more money for things usually make more money, and people who make more money are by and large better educated than people who make less.

By the way, look up the car company that has the best-educated buyers in the United States: Saab, a GM division.
    good point. now go one step further, those things that you pay more for - are they usually better? Or is there an exception when it comes to buying cars?

I'm sure people who drive Saabs are highly educated, but are they really the best? You mean it's not Audi, the car i drive?

Saab sure must of insulted its buyers when they came out with that vehicle (can't recall the name) which was essentially a subaru clone.
    Are the higher cost products better quality? Of course, in extremely general terms, they are. I'll take a Rolex over a Timex. But obviously it's far more complicated than that. If it weren't, all any person would have to do to ensure buying the best of anything is be sure to buy the most expensive. As anyone who has ever shopped for anything knows, more expensive isn't always better.

Are Saabs the best? That question pre-supposes that there is some way to determine the "best" car. However, there is not; "best" in this context is a vague quality that has to do with how closely the product matches up with what a person wants from it.

I don't have any information on it, but I'm sure Audi attracts a high-income, well-educated buyer. But look at all of the bad press Audi got several years ago when the whole bogus "sudden unintended acceleration" (translation: inept drivers pushed the wrong pedal) scandal erupted. In this case you had the media maligning a very good car (the 5000) and company in the name of the story. Similarly, a lot of the popular media "facts" given on cars these days are garbage.

That's why I don't go for the Honda/Toyota hype. They're fine cars, but nowhere near as good as the media would have people believe. Plus, I see a strong anti-domestic car bias in much of the automotive press as well as the mainstream media.
    Actually I think the media stories had some merit pertaining to Audi. I'm sure drivers did push the wrong pedal - but what cased them to do so in panic? I would say it was the sudden unintended acceleration.

i can't speak for the camry, but the accord really is an unbelievably good car for the price.

as for the prius, it's an engineering achievement but not much of a rationale choice. i wonder if it's possible to see a hummer and prius together in someone's driveway.
  • nyredhawknyredhawk Member Posts: 3
    I am attempting to recharge the A/C in my 1998 Malibu and am looking for the low-pressure port -- does anyone happen to know where it is located?
    Yes thats entirely true, a high powered sportscar would be my choice for some real fun at the wheel. I guess I meant in it's class, family mid sized car. It's much more fun to drive than a minivan or my old stationwagon. Of all the cars I recently test drove, none were bad and if I would've been able to find a 05 Accord or Altima with the same safety features and rating at the same price as the Malibu I now own, I may have bought it.

For basic trasportation, comfort and safety I am not willing to spend over a certain amount. Thats why I consider what I got a good bargain. Over a period of 5 years the amount we will save on the financed portion of this vehicle along with fuel savings, etc. as compared to a higher priced vehicle are substantial. It all figures into the cost of ownership.
  • sheldo1sheldo1 Member Posts: 64
    I wonder what all the educated people are doing about their Toyota engine sludge problems? Thousands have this problem yet CR still seems enamored of Toyota.

I have an '06 Civic that has been in the shop so much I am now in arbitration to get my money back. It is the worst new car I have ever owned. Needless to say,I don't think much of Honda either.

Education doesn't have anything to do with it.
    Hit 25,000 miles and 2 years the other day and thought I'd do an update post. I have about 4,000 miles on my third steering column and it's starting to make popping noises at times, though it has yet to start rattling. I've decided to give up on this issue due to the fact that it keeps coming back and it's been a pain to deal with since the dealers around here suck and I've had to fight with them to get them to get them to calibrate it after replacing it. No new rattles, just the same head rests, glove box door, and passenger sun visor that have been there since new. Still impressed with the gas mileage: I got 40mpg on the highway this Saturday, but still can't break 22 in town despite accelerating slowly (keeping it under 2000rpm and not using the remote start. Overall I'm pleased with the car, but could be happier. Possibly would buy again, but would have paid closer attention to the build date.
  • maxx4memaxx4me Member Posts: 1,340
    I totally echo your comments mr bots. My rack squeeks some of the time, and the rattle at slow speed is hard to replicate. My dealer sent me some "bait" the other week, stating that they would give me a great price on my car if I came in to buy a new one. I actually considered it, although I don't like the rear wiper on the new models, but love the Maxx. Like you, I'd love to own one which didn't have the steering/rack problem. I have 22k on my Maxx.
    The turn signal on my 1998 Malibu would click at random times and sometimes non-stop. I already replaced the hazard switch, which did not help. Someone suggested that it could be caused by a faulty turn signal switch. Does anyone know the part number for the turn signal switch and how the replacement could be done?

Thank you.
  • byranbyran Member Posts: 4
    I was wondering if anyone could possibly give any advice or help. I have a 2001 Chevy Malibu and I was having fuel trouble, I replaced the Fuel pump and fuel filter. It fixed the problem, but now I’ve come to another problem. Now my check engine light is one and it gives me the error: Fuel Tank Pressure Low Voltage. What is that? What's the problem? How do I fix this? I tried clearing the diagnostic codes but this code P0452 still comes up. Please help ASAP. Thanks
    I've had a faulty turn signal in my malibu. It's not hard to change at all. I'm not sure what the part number is for the regulator but i was able to get mine at a salvage yard and replaced it and it's been fine for 3 years so far. You have to remove the cover that is covering the turn signal switch and the wiper switch. After that you may have to remove the air bag then it should allow you to have access to screws that hold the switch in place and the removal/installation is pretty simple.
  • dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    Don't have an answer for you but until someone else comes along do a google search on "P0452 - Fuel Tank Pressure Low voltage". My guess is it could be someting with the fuel pressure regulator.

When was the fuel tank replaced and why did they think this was the problem?
    Well my fuel pump went out a few days ago, i replaced my fuel pump and i also replaced my fuel filter. Everything runs fine, its just the check engine light came on so that's when i knew something else had went wrong. Ill do the search on the P0452 and also check the fuel pressure regulator.
  • dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    Based on what you wrote about just replacing the fuel tank, I think you will be able to narrow down the problem once you do the search on P0452.
    Thanks a lot. I appreciate the help.
    Byran - Thanks for the info. It was very helpful and exactly what I was looking for! :D If you don't mind, would you advise how the cover for the turn signal switch/wiper switch could be removed? Thank you! :)
    Anyone have a clue whether the 05 - 3.5 litre is an interference or non interference type? For those who may not know what that means, an interference type engine will have problems with pistons hitting valves if a timing belt breaks. A non interference wont.
    I don't know if it's interference or not, but I do know that it has a timing chain, not a rubber belt. So the likelihood of it breaking is very low so I don't think it really matters.
    A chain drives the camshaft? I didnt know that! Are you sure?
    Yep, the 3.5L LX9 engine used in the Malibu has a timing chain. Most new engines use a timing chain because they require a lot less maintenance than a belt and are less likely to break or slip.
  • csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    In addition to the inherent durability of the chain, I doubt if non ohc engines can be interference. Plus I think the chain would probably make a lot of racket before snapping. My last car (an Elantra) cost me $800 for a 60K service. I think the Chevy (supposedly) low tech engine is a big plus. That additional costly service for an OHC engine with a timing belt can pay for a lot of gas.
  • maxx4memaxx4me Member Posts: 1,340
    costly service on a timing belt can pay for a lot of gas

he, he, he....not these days :cry:
    Like the others said, it has a chain. I believe the only non-chain vehicle that GM has is the Aveo which like the imports required service every 50-60,000 miles. I know in the past they said to change the chains at 100,000 miles, but I am not sure if this is necessary now? Does the manual say anything?

My S10 with over 130,000 miles has never been touched. My mechanic friend said not to worry about the Chevy V6 engine because the timing chain rarely stretches to the point that it will cause any issues or just plain come off.
  • pieinmyface87pieinmyface87 Member Posts: 1
    I've got the aforementioned 97 Chevy Malibu 3.1 V6, and i'm looking for a little more horsepower. Granted, this is a family sedan, that's irrelevent. I took out the old airbox and put in a AEM air filter instead, I wanted to put in a pipe instead of the excessive stuff they have in there, but i'm not sure how to get around the mass air flow sensor. anyone have any suggestions on how to get around that? Or just get a little more horsepower out of the car using other means?
  • vants1234vants1234 Member Posts: 2
    I was wondering what you found out, I am having the same problem?No power going to the unit and did not want to tear the whole thing apart.
    A lot of times these are misdiagnosed. If you know that no power is going to it please let us know how you determined this.

If your vehicle has cruise control does cruise control work?
  • vants1234vants1234 Member Posts: 2
    It does have power going to the unit I just checked ti tonight. So, I determine that it is the light assy. itself.

Yes, the cruise does work?? Why?
    If cruise didn't work then I would have suspected it was something else - since it does work then I agree you are correct about CHMSL
This discussion has been closed.