Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai XG300 and XG350

Comments

• idforedidfored Member Posts: 20
    Go to www.t-h-c.org (the hyundai connection); you will find pictures.

jmmnh,
      I believe owner's manual does not require higher octane. Hmm, engine rough...I haven't had
    that problem w/octane87, though my XG 2002 engine makes tapping noise that I hear on idle.
    It did when I bought one early this year but I'm not sure if it does for other consumers like garyandrews said it need to build more reputation including dealer's customer service.
        I test drove ES300,audiA6, volvo S60 when I was shopping but I could not pass what XG offered: price-styling-features.
  • coalcrackercoalcracker Member Posts: 53
    I bought a new 2003 XG350L which now has about 1700 miles on it. I like it very much. However, I have run into something regarding the dealer and the 5 year "bumper-to-bumper" warranty. In order for one to get the bumper-to-bumper service under the warranty one must make sure that the car is maintained as per the maintenance schedule with all supporting receipts and documentation. There are two maintenance schedules: namely, the regular one and one for severe service. In past years I have always maintained my new cars under the regular schedule with mainly American cars with no warranty problems. I live in the suburbs outside of Washington, D.C. and most of my driving is in suburbia and occasionally on the Interstate. I do not drive on dusty roads and I never drive in the city. However, the Hyundai dealer where I purchased the car is pushing that for the warranty to be valid I must maintain my car under the "severe" service schedule. That is I have to all the required maintenance done every 3 months or 3,000 miles (like have the oil changed with a new filter, etc.). The regular schedule calls for service every 6 months or roughly 7,000 miles. The dealer says that suburbia driving is considered to be stop & go driving and the pollen and pollutants in the air are the same as driving on dusty roads. I also understand that the dealer insists on flushing the brake fluid from the ABS system since the hydraulic fluid is hygroscopic and can absorb moisture from the air. This has to be done at 30,000 miles. I don't even see this requirement in the maintenance schedule at all. I think it is this dealer trying to overmaintain the car to get additional money from the customers. It is more expensive to maintain the car under the severe schedule than the regular. Is this a common practice at all Hyundai dealers? Or is just my dealer? I am looking for comments regarding this phenomenon from across the country. I welcome your comments.
  • mikewesqmikewesq Member Posts: 32
    My 2001 XG300 has been at the Hyundai dealer for the last fifteen days. I took it in for the following problems: the engine had begun making a clattering noise on acceleration, the throttle valve body needed cleaning, and I was still having the transmission "shuddering" that has been discussed on this board in the past. I had had the TCM re-flashed per a technical service bulletin some months ago, with apparent success, but after a few weeks the "shuddering" re-appeared. The deal replaced an engine control module of some sort to cure the clattering, and cleaned out the throttle valve body, which they said was indeed rather filthy. The transmission, however, needed a new TCM module, which was on order. I took the car home, but found that the transmission was now shifting in such a bizarre manner as to make the care essentially undriveable. I returned the car the next day and asked for a loaner car under my factory extended warranty. I was cheerfully provided with a very nice silver 2003 Sonata 6 cyl. sedan to drive until my car was fixed.

Well, the replacement TCM module arrived, was installed, and did not cure the problem. The factory told the dealer that they would send a replacement TCM module and that they should install it to make sure that it wasn't just a bad TCM that had been installed earlier. I called the service manager today and was told that the new (2nd) module had been installed, with no improvement. The factory is now talking to the dealer about replacement of the entire transmission!

The service manager at West Broad Mitsubishi/Hyundai has been very nice, and tells me to keep driving the Sonata. The Sonata is a fine car, but I really miss my XG. I really notice now the luxury touches that are not present in the Sonata, and the difference in how the car rides and in the amount of power from the engine. At this point, I have no idea how long it will take to get my car back fixed, if ever. Perhaps I'll be "lucky" enough that the new transmission is installed, and the car still won't work right, and Hyundai will have to give me a new 2004 XG350 to replace my 2001! I would be happy to be able to keep driving an XG, but I am concerned about the amount of warranty work that I have had to have on this car, and I am very glad now that I paid $750.00 for the factory extended warranty.
  • john115john115 Member Posts: 45
    Regarding # 1462's problems;what does the extended
    warranty offer over and above the stanard warranty
    which on 01's has been extened by Hyundai for
    bumper to bumper,road asst. or engine& transmission,owners choice.
    Well, the differences are:

1. It's a lot longer; 10 years bumper-to-bumper.

2. You have the right to a loaner vehicle if your car is in overnight for warranty service.

3. The horsepower advertising boo-boo extension option was offered to owners of the extended warranty as well; I chose a couple of extra years of road-side service.
  • jimbeaumijimbeaumi Member Posts: 620
    When I decided to visit a local trusted shop for my 30K maintenance (on an Elantra), they tried to suggest to me that the "industry" considers Michigan a "severe usage" state because of our weather changes. I left there and went to my dealer for the service. I am not sure which industry is being cited for this change, the auto industry or the repair industry (my guess is the latter). I think it is complete baloney. Severe usage was and should still be cars that are used as taxis or police vehicles.

I've stated elsewhere in these threads that my last long-life vehicle -- a 1987 Mercury Lynx GS 5-speed that lasted 10 years, 227K miles -- was maintained on a standard schedule, other than oil changes at roughly half the scheduled intervals. All other work was performed on the normal schedule. I, too, would like to know when the "industry" decided we should needlessly spend all the extra dollars on a bogus maintenance schedule.
  • libertycatlibertycat Member Posts: 593
    Congratulations! I'm sure your situation is exactly what Hyundai was hoping for and I hope more people follow your lead.
  • acelinkacelink Member Posts: 106
    The car I am driving is 2000 XG300 with 103312 miles on it. Ever since the second timing belt change at 100K, I am hearing a noise whenever I press the gas pedal.

The noise is more prominent when going up the incline from standing still and it sounds something like gas guzzling noise. The car feels sluggish as it has trouble getting gas. Other annoying problems that I have is vibration felt through the steering wheel and brake pedal when the transmission is in P and D. The vibration disappears once the car is in motion.

A local mechanic took a test drive today and said the last timing belt job was a lousy job. He said something like the setting is all off and offered to correct the mishap for $150. He then said he might have to change other things as necessary to get the job done right (some other belts that I am not familiar with). As for the vibration felt through the steering wheel and brake pedal, he said something about replacing the engine mounts. I did not agree with him on this part because the engine mounts have been replaced not long ago.
    Do you think bad timing belt adjustment may cause these vibration as well?

I will be keeping this car till the next generation XG appears late next year. Should I put up with the problems or go ahead and make the mechanic a happy man? It really bothers me to drive this car knowing it is not performing as it should be, but at the same time the car has become a money eater lately. Advices please.
    In answer to coalcracker,my dealer in Henderson NV
    said when I went in for an oil change that I needed the 30K service even though I only had 12K
    on the car,butit was 27 mos.old.He gave me a sheet
    outlineing what should be done.Change oil,drain plug washer,install motor oil conditioner,replace air filter,wiper blades,rotate&balance wheels,new plugs,drain cooling sys,inspect brakes,imstall fuel sys treatment,drain trans,&filteradd conditioner,check tire pressureclean&check batt.all this for only$349+tax&shop supplies.When I told him the manual only called for Oil,trans,air filter,&rad.flush,he said Im the only one who ever read the manual.Thus next oil change I wii have them do manual version.This was one of the first Hyundai dealers in USA,owner died,widow sold out to Chicago dealer,was still run honestly till Chicago dealer sold out to Planet Hyundai.
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,236
    It sounds as if the timing of your engine was upset during the timing belt change. Did you do the timing belt yourself? If someone else did it, I would go back and ask them to set the timing on the car, per Hyundai's procedure.
  • dekesterdekester Member Posts: 322
    Has anyone compared these two cars?

Got the wife out of the SUV mode and we've settled on a mid-size sedan to replace her 72K mile '91 Toyota Tercel. Since my Olds has traction control and ABS and I didn't get stuck at all this past winter in the NE, we're looking for her car to have the same.

The XG comes with it all standard - GREAT!
    The Altima she likes only comes with Traction Control as an OPTION on the 3.5S model - which takes premium gas, too. Also, side airbags are optional as well as ABS!

I'm trying to convince her that either the XG or the Sonata will be her best choice.

We tend to keep cars for a while (the Toyota was bought new), so depreciation is no object (just look at my 30K 98 Olds Intrigue!).

Anyway, just looking for some more ammo to push her towards the XG. And I've gotten a lot of mileage out of the $$ factor - Altima $28K+ Vs XG OTD $21K....

Deke
  • libertycatlibertycat Member Posts: 593
    plus I read somewhere that their interiors have more quality material than the Altima's (they say the plastic is hard and low-quality).
    The XG is the greatest bargain around. For the $21K you get luxury, quality and great warranty. No comparison to the Altima. My wife is in heaven with her XG. She picked DEsert Sand as the color and every woman on the block love the car. The women just love this car. A few men also love it. All she has to do is drive it until she gets the feel for it. She will be extremely happy with it. So will you. You just take care of the details.
  • specialdoc2002specialdoc2002 Member Posts: 54
    My wife also loves her XG which she has been driving daily for about 15 months. This includes daily driving in the city as well as over a dozen interstate trips.

Previously she was driving a loaded 1999 Lexus LS-400.

She has remarked serveral times about how the XG experience "seems a lot like the Lexus."

When she's happy, I'm happy! ;-)))
  • johnson44johnson44 Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 2002 XG350 with 24,000 miles a couple months ago after vowing never to buy another Hyundai product again due to my bad experience with my 1989 I had.

I couldn't pass up the new marketing campaign, warranty and new European look/style of the XG.

We negotiated for eight hours and two sales people later, I paid $16,600 which included tax, license and the financing for five years. They were asking $19,900 What a steal!!

So if anyone is looking at a new car no matter what make, stick to your guns and don't go soft.
    Remember it's a game they are trying to play.

As far as how I like my XG350, It's the closest I will get to a Lincoln LS at a far less price.

I look forward to the 2004 XG350.
    Got back my XG300 today, after a a 29 day wait. They were kind enough to detail the car a bit with a wash, wax and tire dressing before I picked it up.

Remaining issues are:

1) Some paint was knocked off of the front bumper while at the shop, they have promised to have it repaired for me.

2) Cruise control is not working. Considering how many parts they replaced to fix the transmission, I shouldn't be surprised that some thing was left unplugged somewhere! I'll call them tomorrow to let them know they have one more thing to fix.

Entire transmission was replaced, along with TCM and an engine control module (I think) along with sensor and syncros. Transmission is now working better than it ever has. Much smoother and no "shudder" or surging noted in the short time that I have had to drive it today. The dealer kept it a couple of extra days to do about 200 miles of test driving to make sure that it was working properly.

I must admit that I was almost disappointed that they were finally able to (apparently) repair the transmission, as I was giving longing looks at the black 2004 XG350L that the dealer has in front of their showroom! The look is much sharper, and a little sleeker, I particularly like how the front end of the car has a cleaner, sharper look, especially the way the new headlights look. The new wheels are pretty good. The lighter woodgrain plastic color in the interior is an improvement, too.
    Guess everyone's enjoying the XGs?

Still on the fence about the XG350L or the Camry. Might end up going with the Toyota as it will retain more of its value....

But the XG has a TON of features for the same price. AAARRGGG!!!

Deke
    Sure Camry will retain more value. But, but people do not give second look on your brand new Camry and do not even bother to talk about it. It's a Camry or an Accord that we all know!
       All who bought XG probably thought about retail value. I and my wife are enjoying driving our XG350. Hope you will enjoy your new car anyways.
    I am always seeing people giving my XG350L a second look. They strain to see who made the car. In my opinion, this car has more design class than the Camry. (Not mentioning all the extras and luxury--and the price was absolutely right.)I looked at the Camry along other cars and the XG won. The back end looks like the $149,000 Bentley. I buy for the long term so the value has no meaning so as far as I am concerned I am laughing all the way to the bank. And don't forget the great warranty. Best on the market.
    I like the car and the warranty....
    only thing is, a friend of ours is an insurance adjuster and he tells me stories of recommending that two year old cars with $5000 damage be totalled.

God forbid I end up in that situation, I don't want to be handed a check for next to nothing and told good luck looking for a replacement.

We just donated my wife's 91 Toyota Tercel with 72K on it, so we keep for the long run. Don't put too many miles on our cars (my 98 Olds Intrigue has 30400 in 4 1/2 years).

My sister in-law is dating the GM of the local Nissan store and we're being prodded to the Altima, but I don't like his attitude; says I don't know what I want in the car and he knows best! Actually, he wants to get us in the Maxima, but I think it's a turd, and he took offense!

Guess it'll all come down to the test drives....
    If I could only drive the cars blindfolded; that's the only way to check out quality!

Deke
  • elfloydelfloyd Member Posts: 1
    Looking very hard at the 350. But concerned about it lasting beyond the 100,000. I drive 30,000 - 40,000 per year and have 230,000 on my 1997 Camry.

Anyone have experience with high mileage 350s? Will is go the distance?
    You don't compare the Camry with the XG350,you compare the XG with the Avalon,which is the same size,but costs $10,000.00 more.And looks rather weird,in my opinion.The XG blows a way the Camry with its Delta electrical system.
    I don't know about totaling a car with only 5,000 damage. But you have to understand that today all cars take a tremendous depreciation in the first year. So if you pay $20,000 for a 350 and it depreciates by about a third in the first year that means you are looking at a car worth roughly $14,000 to $15,000. Are the insurance companies going to total a car in this price range. There are many cars that will fit this category. Not only Hyundai. A lot of cars could be totaled. You have to think positive. What are your chances of ending up in a $5,000 accident. If you are a good defensive driver the odds are extremely low that you will find yourself in that kind of accident. As far as quality is concerned, I was always led to belive that Camry was the greatest. So finally I capitulated and bought a new "91 Camry. At 22,000 miles the transaxle went and they, at their discretion, replaced it with a"remanufactured" unit. I argued, with no success, that they should put a new transaxle in the car. They refused. At 80,000 miles the "remanufactured" transmission would not shift from third gear in cold weather. I was told I would have to replace the transaxle at my expense. So tell me about quality. Even the "Great" Camry has problems. With a ten year bumper-to-bumper warranty on my 350, I am not worried one bit. Good luck in your evaluation. Please make sure you are 100% satisfied before you make any purchase. You may be unhappy later. I am laughing all the way to the bank in luxury.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    If you are worried about losing the car in a moderate accident due to its low residual value, buy gap insurance. It costs a mere $500 but would cover any difference between insurance payoff and loan value so you don't end up losing any money. On a Hyundai, especially the more expensive ones, it is a good decision to buy it. It was a nobrainer for me when I bought my 03 Tiburon since I traded a car with negative equity and currently owe about 10k more than the car is worth. The gap insurance helped ease my worries.

In my opinion, I would go for the XG. The XG is more luxurious and unique than the Camry. I am a 2 time Hyundai owner and would have no qualms about buying a 3rd. They are good cars. My low end 00 Accent required only 2 warranty repairs and it was very reliable in the 25k that I owned it. My friend currently owns the car, now with 40k, and has only encountered a dead battery. The car is rattle free and relatively refined and quiet for such a cheap car. I made the mistake of buying an 03 Suzuki Aerio, thinking that a Japanese car would assure me a reliable trouble free car, and ran into lots of annoying problems, way more than my 5k cheaper Accent. I traded the darn thing in after only 8 months for the Tiburon. This car has been flawless so far. I should have never left the Hyundai family!
  • coolcowscoolcows Member Posts: 2
    Likely to buy an XG350 for wife. Originally looking for 2003 but we like the changes for 2004. The lighter “wood” really enhances interior as does some additional leather trim and the front and back exterior look great. Base now has real spare and breaks are improved. We want base model (i.e. no moon roof), what price (minus TAX and fees) should we pay in California. I have a quote for 21.7 from a Fleet manager (after rebate but minus TAX and fees). Is this a decent price for a 2004 given it has just come out or do I need to do more negotiating or put a car broker to work.

Note: We like XG350 ride and features better than Accord V6Xe and Camry LXE,and of course the lower price. It is replacing an 86 Cressida so we don't expect to care about resale value only that it runs for years and years.
    We'll be paying cash for the car...Is it worth getting the insurance? Still hate to be on the short end of the stick.

We've got a one-time settlement coming to us and plan on paying off bills, replacing the wife's car and little repairs to the house. After all that, whatever's left over goes away for the long-term, so we won't be able to cough up ready cash for a replacement car.

Deke
  • uga91uga91 Member Posts: 1,065
    Paying cash for the car? You don't need Gap insurance. Gap insurance fills the gap between what you owe and what it's worth if totaled. Not what it's worth and what you paid for it.
  • uga91uga91 Member Posts: 1,065
    http://www.ajc.com/business/content/business/0803/04hyundai.html

The Chairman of Hyundai Asan killed himself this morning. He was being investigated for his ties to allegedly funnelling about $100 million to North Korea and for cooking Hyundai's books and siphoning off billions of dollars. Hyundai Motors is a separate company, but it is run by the dead guys older brother.
    Wife says she wants the Camry XLE. After all the research I've done and setting up test drives (XG350 was scheduled for this Saturday), she decides quicker than you can imagine.

And they say women are fickle.....;-P

Thanks for all the research, answers to my questions, etc. I may just lurk here for a while, but now I move over to the Camry boards.

Thanks, all, again.

Deke
  • mikecinmikecin Member Posts: 1
    After much research on the Avalon, Audi A6, Saab 9-5 and Infiniti, we decided on the XG350L. We love the look and feel of this car, but we are still worried if we made the right decision. I'd love to hear from some owners who have owned this car and what they think of it. I've never owned a Hyundai, and it's hard to even tell people that we bought one for fear that they will think we are nuts to take the gamble. What do you all think. Thanks!
    We have had our XG350L for 16 months and 20K miles, and we love it.

My wife drives it every day and often takes business associates to lunch in it. Most of them have engineering degrees. She says that a common remark made as they are riding down the street is "Is this a Lexus??" Of course, none of them has ever heard of an XG.

In fact, previously she drove a 1999 Lexus LS400, and we think that the overall driving experience is remarkably similar.

Our only hesitations about the car at this time are the relatively high cost of scheduled maintenance and the relatively high depreciation in its value over time.

We've had few problems and for quite some time now we have had NO problems. None of the problems that we have had could be called "failures," that is, problems with its reliability. As a matter of fact, at this stage of ownership I had had significantly more complaints about the Lexus (engineering design deficiencies) than I do about the Hyundai.
  • #noname#noname Member Posts: 58
    Similar to SpecialDoc2002, I've had my XG for about 16 months at 22k miles. No big problems with the car. Just an annoying squeaky belt at start up occasionally. I would also concur with SD2002, the high maintenance cost is a concern. Just put it in for 20k checkup - cost me $200.
    These dealers are making checkups & inspections
    up to rip us off.Mine told me the 24K runs $349,plus shop supplies&tax.Well I re-read my owners manual and found that Hyundai reommends
    oil&filter,flush radiator,change transaxel oil&filter,change air filter.Total cost $155.00+tax.
    I am getting ready to take my new Hyundai XG350L in for its first oil change at the dealers recommended 3,000 miles. After reviewing the maintenance warranty information supplied by Hyundai versus the information supplied by the dealer. They are different. I feel that my environment and driving conditions fit the regular maintenance schedule however everything the dealer furnished me for a maintenance schedule puts my driving conditions in the "Severe" category. I totally disagree with them since I have owned many other GM cars and they always told me I belong in the regular category and not the "Severe" schedule. Why is Hyundai re defining our driving categories unless they are trying to rip us off in the maintenance area. In addition, I have heard that they perform additional maintenance defined by them as necessary but other car manufacturers never even mention those maintenance nowhere in their manuals, such as , replacing the brake fluid at 30,000 miles because it is hygroscopic. Something is not right. I intend to pursue this further with Hyundai and if necessary with the FTC to perhaps expose a super scam by a "Reputable" car manufacturer.
    I am inclined to agree that there are bad actors in this scene but at the moment I cannot state with any confidence exactly who that would be.

It may be that what we XG owners are seeing is simple greed on the part of the dealers, or it may be that they are in some way being aided and abetted by Hyundai USA.

At the 15,000 mile service, my wife was coerced in buying expensive "cleaning of the fuel injectors", which is not mentioned in the owners manual.

Shortly we will be taking the car in for the 22,500 mile service and rest assured that we will be wire brushing all "recommendations" as to the services required.

By way of context, I also have a 2002 Chevrolet Avalanche, and the dealer's service rep whips out a printed brochure which shows "THEIR" service recommendations at the various mileage levels, and naturally this at least doubles the maintenance costs, if not more. As if the dealer could POSSIBLY understand the vehicle better than Chevrolet Division does. ROFLMAO. So I tell them that I want EXACTLY, PRECISELY what Chevrolet requires, the guy acts like I am a complete cretin (part of his training, no doubt), and they proceed to do what I ask without further comment.

I do see a climactic scene developing with the XG at 60,000 miles, where apparent requirements for changing out the timing belt and spark plugs could possibly result in horse choking maintenance costs, but we will cross that bridge when we come to it. I DO NOT understand why the timing belt change is NOT required in California, but is apparently "required" by Hyundai elsewhere. Is this because of unique consumer protection activity in the state of California?
    It seems your problem is with the dealer's "requirements" not with Hyundai's. If you feel you fit Hyundai's normal schedule, than follow it. It's as simple as that. No one is forcing you to go by the dealer's suggestions. As for the brake fluid change, there is nothing that is a "scam" about that. Brake fluid is hygroscopic (tendency to absorb water) and should be replaced every 30k. Otherwise, you risk rusting out the internal parts of the calipers and wheel cylinders and forming a leak. I have seen this requirement in a number of Japanese and German manuals before. Newer cars are less likely to encounter this problem but my dad's 66 Fairlane has big problems with the wheel cylinders rusting out and leaking if the fluid isn't changed every 2 years.
    I agree with you that brake fluid is hygroscopic. However the fluid system is completely sealed with the exception of the reservoir which is sealed in a different manner. It usually has some kind of sealing cap which can be removed if you need to add fluid. I have never had to add fluid so my caps were never removed. Therefore if the brake system is thus completely sealed it is difficult for me to envision how one exposes the fluid to the elements sufficiently that the fluid absorbs water. In addition, I have had over ten cars with the latest having ABS (which I understand is more critical to this kind of problem) and I have never changed my brake fluid, the dealer never recommended that I change the brake fluid and also the documentation furnished by the car manufacturer(car and shop manuals)have never mentioned changing the brake fluid. [I only had one foreign car, a Toyota Camry, while the rest have been American cars.The Hyundai is my second foreign car.]That still leaves me to believe that it is un-neccesary maintenance unless the Hyundai brake system is not completely sealed as per my assumptions. I will do further research to determine if this a real requirement or once again a Hyundai "scam.".
  • jimbeaumijimbeaumi Member Posts: 620
    The Hyundai "scams" you mention are not the fault of Hyundai, but instead the fault of the service industry. I went to an otherwise trusted mechanic in my area and was given the same "severe usage" baloney when it came time for my 30K service. I was told "the industry" recommends these extra services. "Severe usage" defines police cars and taxi cabs in my opinion.

As for the brake issue, I tend to agree with you. The same mechanic suggested a fluid change (I don't believe it's recommended till 60K) because of the possibility of moisture in the fluid. I don't ever remember having this service performed other than when recommended, including on a car that I drove for more than 200K miles.
    The only proof you need that the brake system is not perfectly sealed is the change in color of brake fluid over the years. Even if you never take the cap off, the fluid will still degrade over time from heat and loose its resistance to overheating (thus reducing brake system performance). Have you ever noticed the color of your fluid after 5 years? New brake fluid is clear. After 3 years, the fluid turns a reddish color and will continue to darken and turn murky. If what you are saying is true, than the brake fluid should never turn colors and should never show gunk and degradation. The fact is, it occurs. So it is simply a good idea to change the fluid periodically to keep the fluid operating at its maximum potential and reduce the liklihood of expensive failures. What makes brake fluid any different from oil or transmission fluid? They are all fluids essential to the proper lubrication and operation of mechanical moving parts. They are also all susceptible to degradation from contamination, heat, and stress. So why shouldn't brake fluid be changed? Just because GM never mentioned it, doesn't mean Hyundai is trying to scam you. Maybe GM would rather nail their customers on brake repairs later on whereas Hyundai is trying to avoid it. As I said before, I have seen this suggestion on many other cars as well.

Here are some links that back myself up:

http://www.brakesafely.com/whychange.html

http://www.trustmymechanic.com/brake_fluid_change.htm
    Thanks for the input. I did look at your backup sites and read the inputs with interest. However, I have had over ten cars in my life so far and I drove them from 60,000 to 110,000 miles each. Probably close to million miles of driving. I have never heard of changing brake fluid therefore I never changed the fluid in any of my cars and no one told me that I should. I can tell you that in that million miles and all those cars I have never had a brake problem of any kind. I have never had a soft pedal or any other detectable poor performance of the brake system. One would think that if the fluid did have a problem the law of averages should have produced at least one problem for me in that time period. If your analysis is right then I must be luckiest guy in the world. As a result of your comments I will pursue the matter further. Thanks again.
    In all honesty, the likelihood of running into a brake problem caused by old fluid in the mileage you listed is negligible. It would be in the 130k-up range where the fluid can make a bigger difference. Believe me, a brake failure is not fun. My 84 VW GTI gave no indication there was anything wrong with my brakes until one day (around 135k) while stopping at a red light, the brake pedal went straight to the floor and my brake light/buzzer went off. I would have rear-ended the car in front of me if it hadn't been for the dual diagonal circuit working properly (I had braking power to the left front and right rear brake only) and my parking brake. The left rear cylinder had rusted out internally and formed an external leak around the rubber dust cap because of it. The fluid in my car was very old and nasty looking and led to the rust and early failure (the amount of crud inside the wheel cylinder was surprising). It was very scary to continue moving forward with the brake pedal to the floor and no stopping power. Due to my experience, I believe in the recommendations and what those websites stated. Replacing the brake fluid is simply a precautionary measure that will greatly reduce the chances of brake failure. Being that brakes can mean the difference between life and death, I tend to think following the recommendation is the smartest thing to do. I'll admit 30k is probably playing it very safe, but its better to be safe than sorry. However, its ultimately your choice to follow the recommendation. It's your money, so choose to spend it how you see fit.
  • codata99codata99 Member Posts: 123
    2003-4 XGs have a LED-illuminated instrument cluster.
    My 2003 XG does not have an LED instrument cluster. I looked at the 2004 pictures on the Hyundai web site and I also looked at the new actual 2004 car on the lot and it did not have an LED instrument cluster. Please clarify. Thank you.
    The odometer and trip mileage is usually an LED on most cars. However the Hyundai uses an LCD display for both. The info around the radio console I do not consider as my instrument cluster.
    The backlight source of the cluster is LED.
    The trip computer backlight is also LED and the display is dot matrix VFD.
  • talkiertalkier Member Posts: 1
    4 months old and in brushless car wash or even hose water drips down inside windows and has moisture on seal for long period. Dealer tested another car and it also did same. Very unhappy with car in general. No help in rectifying problem .
  • lrain1lrain1 Member Posts: 8
    I purchased a new XG300L on 1/27/01. The car now has 62K miles on it. The Following problems resulted in returns to to the dealer for service:
    2/1/01 - Faulty valve in emissions system
    2/28/01 - Wiring short under dash
    10/9/01 - Rough shifting between 3rd and 4th
    11/14/01 - Rough shifting between 3rd and 4th
    10/11/02 - Battery Failure
    10/30/02 - Rough shifting between 3rd and 4th
    12/30/02 - Ignition coil #1 failure
    2/5/03 - Right rear swaybar bushings defective
    2/28/03 - Defective spark plugs
    3/6/03 - Ignition coil #2 failure
    4/15/03 - Defective front control arm assembly
    7/7/03 - Wiring short in driver-side door
    9/18/03- Rough shifting between 3rd and 4th

The chronic transmission problem finally showed up in the computer during the 9/18/03 examination A new transmission has been ordered for the car. Interesting that I sent a complaint to Hyundai in 2002 and received a letter response, stating that Hyundai would contact me about the problem. They never did!

I sure hope that Hyundai has improved the reliability of their XG automobiles, as I am considering a trade for an XG350.