Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai XG300 and XG350

Comments

• specialdoc2002specialdoc2002 Member Posts: 54
    Edmunds.com pricing report for my 2002 XG350L shows trade-in value $9,592 and Private Party sale at $10,950. My wife thinks that we should respond to this disconcerting situation by driving it until our last trip is to the junkyard!

I was under the impression that the new U.S.-built Sonatas would begin to deliver somewhat earlier than May. ... Press reports suggest that we will see an unveiling of TG (or whatever it is to be called) in Korea next month, with U.S. deliveries beginning sometime this fall. Everything that has been leaked about it thus far sounds favorable but, judging from the spy shots, I am a bit apprehensive about the appearance of the front end of the thing. Hopefully I am merely witnessing a really clever disguise job!
  • averigejoeaverigejoe Member Posts: 559
    Yes, it is a 2005 XG350L, MSRP of $26594. No trade-in. Odometer reading 14 miles at purchase. Powder white pearl with tan leather. No extended warranty. Only dealer added options are anti-theft window etchings and mylar window tint. 8 CD changer in trunk and mats on floor included as standard equipment. I had my choice of 2004's or 2005's. I think a 2004 would have ended up about $1100 lower.

The dealer advertises itself as the world's biggest dealer. I'm convinced it is one of the best. It is in Gilbert, AZ.

I have sent other interested car shoppers to that dealer. I think the low price was their way of thanking me. (They ended up selling it to me for well under the advertised price and threw in the tint and etching for free.)

When comparing the 2004 XG350L to other new cars I think $22000 is a bargain too. What other similar car is a better deal?
    The last time I sold a used Hyundai to a private party, I advertised it for the Kelley trade-in price plus an amount equal to sales tax. I was awakened by a ringing in my ears very early the first day the ad ran and sold it to that caller the same day for full price. Maybe I should have asked for more. The similar cars listed for sale that weekend were all at least $1000 higher in price and all but one had more miles than mine too. Maybe I should have checked out the competition before placing my ad.
  • harrier2harrier2 Member Posts: 32
    As a an x-owner of an 03 XG 350L which BTW I really liked and had no problems except the very touchy gas pedal but alas my emotions prevailed and I fell for the Kia Amanti. Same auto company different cars. The Amanti is worth looking into when considering an XG.....I do not think one is necessarily better than the other just different in different ways. Having both, I will stay with the Amanti. All I am saying is either car is a good choice but at least drive the Amanti and you might be surprised.......
    My 2000 Elantra paint flaked and peeled off every exterior plastic piece. Every one: mirrors, spoiler, bumpers. It all occurred before the 3 year/36000 mile paint warranty expired. Dealership repainted all of it. Definitely a manufacturing defect in my case.
  • vistarvistar Member Posts: 4
    I have 1300 miles on a 2005 model and infrequently after shifting from Park to Drive the car jumps forward when the gas pedal is slightly depressed. This has happened just 6 times, but with enough force it could cause a lot of damage or the car could jump into traffic if the brake pedal was missed. I took the car to the dealer who adjusted/reset the electronic ignition based on a service bulletin. It didn't fix it. He is clueless now and waiting for district rep next Tuesday. Any ideas about what could cause this, or - better yet - a remedy?

Thx
    Maybe I should have test-driven the Amanti before buying the XG. I looked at it and sat in it but no test drive. I read it was 400 lbs heavier and a little longer and had more rear legroom but figured the XG might handle and accelerate better and maybe get better gas mileage too. When I compared epuipment on the XG350L versus the Amanti, the Hyundai had much more including leather for less money. Also, Kia cars do not have a J.D. Powers quality rating as good as Hyundai cars. Considering all models in the line-ups in fact, it ranks Kia dead last while Hyundai enjoys a tie for 2nd best with Honda, ranking below only Lexus.
  • pkerouacpkerouac Member Posts: 1
    How much did replacing the timing belt cost you?
  • xg350guyxg350guy Member Posts: 28
    In less than 24 hours, my baby black XG350 will be traded on a 05 Tucson GLS V6 AWD. I'm gonna miss that car. Everyone stared at it wondering how this young guy afforded such luxury and style.

I still remember Michael Jackson selling his red Bently Arnage(i'm sure that's what it was), and I was comparing the similarities between it, the XG and the Maybach's design cues.

Now I'm not a MJ follower, although he did crank out some rockers in his day. Just as that XG I'm trading will be remembered as a sweet black sleek machine that I once drove for 88,000 KLMs without any trouble, and always felt good riding in style.

I'll probably buy something like it again, perhaps the Amanti, it is sweet as well (drive one as someone has posted, and you'll want to switch your XG too). But hang on it's got its own style verve happen'in.

But tommorrow it's the Tucson I'm after. That cute ute caught my eye. The snow up here sucks so much and our family needs dictated it. Were too young for a minivan, or such a fancy car as the XG for now. Many LS and Acura owners stared at that XG image burning in their eyes. Sweet! And that's what lured me as well. But time to move on.

Lets face it. Hyundai, and Kia are the talk of the town. Their designs are crisp clean and are hitting the nerves of the public. Where the other car makers have lost touch with their customer base by jacking up prices and reducing content and offering really quirky ideas, Hyundai keeps making them scratch their heads and stealing away their customers by giving simple straight forward, and refreshing designs. Go Hyundai!

The Korean companies that make other products are also doing very well. LG, Cort Guitars, Samsung are positioning themselves very well in our lifestyles, and meeting our needs.

I for one am gonna give them every chance I can, cause as far as I'm concerned, North American companies couldn't care less about consumers nor employees,...only profits. And their profits are dwindling from real competition in real markets.

The XG provides a real alternative to Hondas bland style choices, Nissans quirky style, and Toyota's higher than thou attitude.

The new XG looks like it is going after higher end cars like BMW 5 series, Acura RL, Infiniti M etc.

I think they should stay different, just like the new Sonata will replicate the Accord, a copy cat XG won't fair well. Thats my opinion. Market analysis isn't one of Hyundais strong points as of yet, but like their cars they are getting better with making products to match our needs.
    My last service interval for 88,000 KLMS, I spoke to my dealer about the tip in of the line, and they did an ECM reprogram with new software. Apparently it has been available since July 04, but only change if customer is experiencing throttle nigglies. It's freem and made a nice difference in the start-off of the car. The power is still there, but you have to put it to the mat to spin tires, and a normal push will accelerate very smooth and powerful, like a big car should. This motor is very good and strong, just needs a tweak of the Engine control management.

Everyone should do this, and you will be pleased.
  • suzyefsuzyef Member Posts: 3
    Hello people..

Check these websites. U can see the new XG (TG in korea)

http://www.bobaedream.co.kr/board/bbs/bbs_view.php?code=nnews&No=- 11405&page=1&select=&content=
    http://www.bobaedream.co.kr/board/bbs/bbs_view.php?code=nnews&No=- 11404&page=1&select=&content=
    http://www.bobaedream.co.kr/board/bbs/bbs_view.php?code=nnews&No=- 11403&page=1&select=&content=

well, I like the look of the front but back of the car is too much like Accord.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    We are having an annoying problem that is breaking links of a certain length. Below are the links suzyef posted in working form.

Link 1

Link 2

Link 3

I'm told the link issue will be corrected shortly. Meanwhile, the tinyurl.com site is useful.
  • hiramehirame Member Posts: 6
  • nissan240sxnissan240sx Member Posts: 37
    type "http://worldwide.hyundai-motor.com/common/html/plaza/ads/
    introductory_films/films_product_17.html"
    in a browser!
    Click here for the link to the film.
  • johno111johno111 Member Posts: 114
    I watched the 2006 xg film a few times. I think I like it. Looks like they retained some of the lines from the previous model. Interior is super. But I think I'll have to wait to see it in person for the final evalution and pricing. Currently have a 2001 xg, bought it early after introduction and ended up paying full sticker, not going to do that again. If I like it, I'll give it a year before I buy.
  • johno111johno111 Member Posts: 114
    I'm currently in the process of switching my wheels out on my 2001 xg from the ugly 15 inchers to 16 that I picked up on e:bay. My question is what is the air preasure posted on the door for say a 2003 or 2004 with the 16 inch wheels. Also I'm debating between 2 different tires to go with. 1st is Cooper Lifeliner SLE H rated 50k tires, and 2nd is Goodyear Comfortreds 80k tiress Price differences is only $108 more for the Goodyears. Anyone have experience with either tire. Currently have Bridgestone Potenza RE950's, nice tire, real sticky, can run thru 2 inches of standing water like nothing a little noisy but wear is very poor, 12,000 miles and they are just about done for.
    Last July we replaced the original Michelin tires with Bridgestone Turanza LS-H P205/60R16, ordered via internet from The Tire Rack. We have been very pleased with the transaction and the tires. BTW, these tires have to cope with Iowa weather.

I had felt that the Michelins were just "OK" but saw quite a few complaints about them on the message boards. The impressive thing about the Tire Rack site is all the factual information about the relative performance of the various tires. This revealed that the OEM Michelins really are el crapo, and that is what got us to looking at alternatives. The published data on the Turanzas is very impressive and our experience tracks with that.
    2005 XG is recommended, Amanti is not. XG's many features for low price and good assembly noted. Consumer Reports implies that if you loved your new Buick back in the 1960's then you'll love your new XG now. I'm curious what XG owners most closely compare their new cars to. A 10 year old Jaguar XJ? Or a 5 to 10 year old Infinity I30/I35 or Maxima GLE? Camry XLE or Avalon?
    I think of XG as most directly competing with Toyota Avalon, and being a bargain in the comparison. It has seemed to me that Toyota has intentionally kept the Avalon very plain, vanilla, in order to differentiate it from Lexus.

I remember going to local Toyota dealer the first day that they were showing the Avalon. Took a test drive. Then, with our butts thusly calibrated, immediately went to GM dealer and drove Buick Park Avenue Ultra. Buick was cheaper and far far more luxurious, so we bought it. Never looked back.
    Yes, it's been reported - not sure why it isn't already fixed, but it's on someone's list. (You wouldn't think it would be that hard!)
  • danf1danf1 Member Posts: 897
    I was enjoying looking into the future.
  • bobgwtwbobgwtw Member Posts: 187
    Sure do like the looks of this car. Anyone know when It's going to hit the showrooms? If they tighten up the suspension & it gets decent mileage,(the XG 350 is lucky to break 20 mpg on a good day),looks like it could be an alternative to the 05 Avalon for considerably less money.

I know. Toyota quality & trade in value; but Hyundai has come a long way the last few years; the quality is better than the US mfrs & thousands less on the purchase price takes a lot of the sting out of a lower trade in. If they can keep the engineering & technology current they will be a real player in the marketplace in a few years.
  • bobgwtwbobgwtw Member Posts: 187
    The Tire Rack is a great organization. Strongly recommend doing business with them, now matter what tire you buy.

As for tires, consider Yokohoma Avid. Great tire, quiet, good ride & great mileage. Have 50K on a set on my Mazda and there is another 30-40K left.
    Thanks for your response on 25 February.

The XG350L 2005 model throttle & transmission issues continue. The accelerator sensor has been replaced, the transmission sensor has been replaced. All pertinent linkage has been adjusted per factory instructions. The district manager has come to visit the car. The problem remains. At rare intervals, after key start and a very short distance in reverse, then shifting to drive and touching throttle pedal, the car lunges forward three times and then returns completely to normal. Less frequently, the transmission seems to slip after the key start and moves ahead in forward drive appearing to be in 5th gear at a very slow speed. Applying throttle pressure draws no reaction until RPMs approach about 4500, then first gear engages. You can imagine the excitement.

A new master computer module is on the way with throttle sensor. What fun (not). This car has seen more of the dealer service bay through its first 3500 miles than of my garage. To the dealer's credit, their attitude has been superb and very refreshing. This type of new car mechanical issue is distressing without the dealer becoming difficult. The dealer told me they strive to be the absolute best in customer service. I can see that they mean to achieve it.

Has anyone else with a 2005 model XG350 experienced anything like this? Has it been satisfactorily repaired? If so, how did they do it?
    See message 1662. Throttle problem may be related to yours. Mine has acted up again once since the repair noted in 1663.
    It seems as though the problem is to do with Hyundais choice of going with a throttle by wire setup, coupled with the fuzzy logic transmission.

My 02 XG350 experienced a bit of this, and unfortunately wasn't properly corrected until I was ready to change the car, which I did.

But they did perform a TSB or technical service buletin on the software that controls the start-off and shifting patterns. After that, it was very nice to drive, smooth steady power from tipin. I miss driving it in some ways, as it was a looker and kept people curious in it's alluring presence.

But I would check with the dealer, and ask about the software reprogram. It was available last July 04.
    Hyundai isn't the only auto mfr to be plagued by imperfections in the design of "throttle by wire." I had a 1999 Lexus LS400 that had really offensive problems with the same function. The dealer indicated that many complaints had been received, and the quirks were the "price of progress." Lexus never admitted to the existence of a problem. But watch what they actually DO! It is my understanding that this design concept was scrubbed from the LS430. Will be interesting to see if Hyundai dumps it in the Azera.

In the case of the Hyundai XG350, at least Hyundai has come out with a new firmware program that does quite a bit to improve the situation, even though not necessarily completely "solving" it. In the case of Lexus, they simply stonewalled.

My 1999 LS400 and 1990 LS400 also had ridiculous design problems with the so-called automatic climate control system. This universal defect has been confirmed by me via discussions with other owners on Lexus message boards. Lexus never admitted to having a problem and never solved it. But the system WAS completely redesigned in the LS430, and touted as greatly improved.

My Hyundai 2002 XG has some quirks in the way the automatic climate control works, and I usually end up running the system manually, but the oddities are nowhere near as screwball as the ones in the 1990-1999 Lexus LS400's where, on hot summer days, you ended up cranking up the temp setting to the maximum; even then, the air coming out of the vents was extremely cold and you had to keep adjusting or shutting off air outlets in an attempt to keep it from blowing on you.

There are other examples where Lexus has swept "issues" under the rug. My brother has a GS400 with terrible vibration problems. He has gone to extraordinary lengths to pinpoint a diagnosis, to no avail, and has proved that other cars of that model have the exact same problem. But Lexus stonewalls, refusing to admit that there is a problem, thus guaranteeing that there will be no solution.

It is this type of arrogance on the part of Toyota that creates fertile ground for Hyundai to prosper.
    Here's the final outcome... the throttle control was replaced and the main computer (wire control) was reset with the most current firmware/software. I drove the car away from the service bay and within an hour, it was slipping in gear (like the trans plates were not fully engaging) and soon after did the lurching dance from a fresh start. I scheduled another service visit, but before I could get in, the dealer general manager called and offered to swap the car out for an identical vehicle. We made the trade a few hours after. In comparison, the replacement XG350 is a completely different machine. The shifting is smooth as silk and acceleration response is on a straight line with throttle application. I am delighted with the replacement vehicle (although its only two days old) and with the dealership (starts with R in Knoxville, TN). I have to admit that I lost my temper with their service team twice during the ordeal and they responded to my outrage as perfect gentlemen. I was amazed that the GM would initiate the swap, as I know trying to return a lemon to the manufacturer is almost impossible. There are now 6 major car manufacturers in the world, but if Hyundai dealers all operate in this fashion, there will soon be a seventh giant car company. I wish that every car ownership experience I've had over the past 30 years had been like this. Hats off to my dealer and I hope Hyundai does accept the vehicle return to tear down the drive-by-wire system and diagnose this potential safety problem.

Also, if Hyundai folks are reading the forum, there are two improvements needed in the XG350 vehicle. The auto seat adjustment (memory switch) located inside the driver door requires the key in ACC position. But, if your driving partner is 5 ft tall and you are a foot taller, you can't slide under the wheel to insert the key. The seat memory switch should operate with the door open and without key in switch. It would also be nice to be able to use the extrta 12v power supply provided in the console without the key in switch.
  • acco20acco20 Member Posts: 211
    I just heard the xg350 will be discontinued for 2006. Will be replaced by a model called "Azera"? Has anyone else heard this?
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    I haven't heard that the XG350 name will be retired. An all new model is due for 2006 though.
  • fushigifushigi Member Posts: 1,459
    That was mentioned in this morning's Chicago Tribune auto section. I believe some posts back a couple of links to the new XG/Azera were posted. In the accompanying movies I think the name was Grandieur (sp) so Azera may be a US or North America name. Sweet looking car.
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
    I stand corrected. I admit though that the Azera name is better then XG350. I'm glad Hyundai is abandoning those stupid alpha-numerical names.
  • ramon718ramon718 Member Posts: 2
    Well my xg350l is having major problems yes the car has only 13000 miles on it and is still under the manufactures warranty . The ses light keeps coming on and off have had within the last week 5 sensors replaced . Just towed it back to the dealer to know be told the engine has spun the rod bearings . I will need a new engine. So far the dealer or Hyundai is paying for the rental, and the engine and the repairs but I dont think I will be purchasing another Hyundai car. I have taken care of this car even though I was told to change my oil ever 7500 miles I have done this every 3000 miles . My car has only 13000 miles on it and the engine should not be failed at this mileage . I am in the auto repair field so I know sometimes there may be a bad car some one might get, but a engine at 13000miles ???This has left a really bad taste in my mouth with Hyundai cars!!!!!!!!
    I can certainly understand your being disenchanted with Hyundai after an experience like this!!

Hopefully, this is an extremely isolated case. I have been reading several XG message boards daily for 3 years now and, as best I can recall, yours is the first case I have encountered of problems inside of an engine, requiring its replacement.

Am wondering if other "regulars" of this board have a similar impression.

My thoughts go to the all-new v6 that Hyundai is in the process of rolling out across several of their models, with several displacements. Considering their huge production targets, if the design isn't rock solid, they are going to have a disaster on their hands!
  • capttv01capttv01 Member Posts: 6
    I've had a 2004 XG350L for a year and a half now and it is doing quite well. However, I'm always on the lookout for new information and was wondering what the links are for the other message boards you are accessing. Thanks.
    Hi capttv01. Check out the "Rules of the Road" linked at the top of this page and/or the Membership Agreement linked on the left. Links to (or promotion of) other automotive message boards are not allowed here. Thanks for your understanding.
    that it is serious at 13,000 rather than 130,000 which is typically what happens to other manufactures engines. Just when your warranty is up the thing konks out.

My 2002 XG350 ran good and strong for 90,000 KLms without a hitch, and if it had developed a problem at that mileage, then it would have been easy to blame it on the care that I provided for it, and the way I drove it up till that point.

In your case, be thankful that the problem/defect showed up early, and your not to blame, and it is simply a defect. It happens, and they are standing behind it, 100%.

I once had a 1984 Pontiac Fiero (remember those nightmares). Well the head gasket failed and leaked coolant into #1 cylinder and cracked the block as well as other associated problems.

I fought tooth and nail with GM. Yeah GM the leargest automaker in the world to fix my little plastic tupperware car with 55,000 KLMs on it still within the 3/60k warranty. They finally fixed it but somehow my clutch mysteriously needed replacing when it was up on their hoist (not under warranty) but alowed them to recoup $1000 bucks from me to put towards the engine replacement. Crooked? I think so. Never buy North American designed car again.

So the bottom line is, if Hyunda is stepping up to the plate, admitting there is a defect, and are paying for it out of pocket with all expenses, don't complain. Smile, and recognize your are giving a very competant car company a second chance to win your acceptance back by going the extra customer mile to please you.

I've seen worse! You can use Scope for the bad taste though!
    '05 XG throttle malfunctioned again a couple days ago. While driving, suddenly no response to accelerator input; the engine speed went down to idle speed regardless of pedal position. This time I pumped the pedal a few times and power became available after just a few seconds. Its been running fine since then. This is still a major safety issue in my opinion.as at idle speed.
    (ignore that typo at the end)
    you should get to the dealer. Could you call them, and ask the question on the phone. If under warranty, they should send a flatdeck and pick it up for you.

Again yours seems like an isolated case, but it is still a problem that needs correcting. I never experianced any of this, and would highly recommend this car, but your opinion might be wavering after this.

I guess I am lucky that I have bought my last three Hyundais from Canadas best dealership from Hyundai or at least thats how they are rated. They know there stuff, and have not steered me wrong yet.
    I recently read an XG350 road test over the internet which showed 7.9 seconds for 0-60 mph and 15.9 for the 1/4 mile. I'm trying to find that test again but can't find it anywhere. Can anyone post the internet address for that road test?
    (another source shows 8.1 and 16.3)
    I recently read an XG350 road test over the internet which showed 7.7 seconds for 0-60 mph and 15.9 for the 1/4 mile. http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/Comparos/articleId=49540/pageId=7344
    Another source shows 8.1 and 16.3.
    http://www.oriongraphix.com/car/
    Has anyone seen any figures faster than these?

(Please ignore my message #1721 above)
  • ramon718ramon718 Member Posts: 2
    I got my car back Hyundai replaced the engine heads, and pistons, and bearings . So far so good I am impressed that the complaint letter I wrote to the ceo of Hyundai was received by him . He actually wrote me back that the matter of my engine failure will be address. Now if I could get them to fix the transmission that down shifts funny I would be almost happy. On my way home from work today only have had the car back from the engine repairs 1 day the brakes are pulsating again. I gues they are warped again. At this point I am looking for more durable aftermarket rotors to replace them with. Have seen on line the replacement for the xg the azera and I like the way it looks but would never buy one until they work out all of the bugs with it. It helps that I am a certified ase master mechanic . When you deal with the dealer they think your stupid until they I mean , the service manager found this out after I questioned him and the tech that he had working on my engine about the specifics of the failure to my engine parts . He is now communicating with me with respect that I am knowledgeable when it comes to car repairs. Not sure if I am going to keep this car or trade it in for a new one . It seems lexus , bmw , and benz all have some sort of problems with there cars and getting them repaired with out hassle.
    >> I like the way (the Azera) looks but would never buy one until they work out all of the bugs with it. <<

I have similar reaction to Azera. The discouraging thing about "working out all the bugs" is that the XG had been in production for quite a few years before they built yours, hadn't it?

I had two Lexus LS400's and they had imperfections, but these were "designed in" imperfections. In comparing notes with other owners via Lexus message boards, I confirmed that all of them were pretty much the same. This means that there was great CONSISTENCY in quality control.. By contrast, my 2002 XG hasn't had ANY of the problems you describe, and it has nearly 50,000 miles on it.

If I DO buy an Azera, for sure I will want the extended warranty.
  • tnc917tnc917 Member Posts: 1
    we are NY drivers and my wife and myself love the 2002 XG 350L we have. i must admit after driving a 2005 camry that the toyota does turn and accelorate better ( also it is a 2005 compared to my 2002) but the value and peace of mind considering i did use the warenty 3 seperate times is far more worth it.
  • jang3jang3 Member Posts: 10
    I have 2001 XG300 with 50,000 miles on it.
    Other than air bag warning light problem, almost nothing went wrong, so far.
    And still runs (or better than) like new. However....

After driving freeways, 20 minutes or more, and stop at the first light, engine rev jump down significantly. RPM goes down near 500 rpm mark for a second, and come back up. This symptom started about a year ago.

In the last couple of weeks, it became worse. The engine rev dropped and failed. Couple of times in exact same condition. I could re-start engine without problem, but...

I reported to the dealership couple of times, but they are saying "cannot duplicate problems" or asking "did you overfill gas tank?".

Anyone had similar situation?
    You need to clarify what exactly the car is doing. If you mean that when sitting at a stop light, the car seems to surge forward a bit even though the brakes are on, this seems to be caused by the rpms going up when the AC clicks on. This issue has been noted in multiple Hyundai models and has the possibility of being fixed by a computer flash. A surge forward can also be caused by the tranny downshifting to lower gears as you slow down. I've noted this surge forward on some auto equipped cars and it can be a little disconcerting when you aren't expecting it. If you mean the car flat out accelerates as if your foot is still on the gas, in 99% of the cases, the driver is mistaking the gas for the brakes or the pedals are close enough together that both pedals are being depressed by accident. People hate to admit that they could be the cause of the problem, but in most circumstances, it is driver error. I know I have pushed on the gas when I meant to hit the brakes and I panicked briefly, thinking something was wrong with the car until I realized what I was doing wrong. Electronic throttle equipped cars, like the XG350, dont have a wire that can bind and get stuck in the open position. The throttle either works or it doesn't.