Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai XG300 and XG350

Comments

• fushigifushigi Member Posts: 1,459
    Still, it can be a fault in the car. I had a late 80s Mercury Topaz that had this problem. Once in a while, regardless of what you were doing - cruising, braking, sitting at a light - the engine would all of a sudden start to rev towards redline. I one time found myself on a highway with my foot steadily on the brake to keep it down to 55MPH. Very unnerving.

Ford/Mercury eventually issued a recall but only for auto-equipped cars. My Topaz was a manual so it wasn't included. Had I been a little wiser at the time I would have pressed for resolution for my car, but instead I just traded the car in a short time later. That was the last domestic brand I've owned as the car was the least reliable vehicle I had ever owned.
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
  • averigejoeaverigejoe Member Posts: 559
    Yep. Over many years and scores of personal cars, I have to say Ford is # 1 ....
    For lousiest reliability ( but they do sell cheap). Late model Hyundais and probably Kias too, sell cheap and seem to be much better quality than anything else for the $. Until the Chinese start exporting to the U.S. anyway. Haha. Germans, Japanese, Korean, Chinese.......each one undercutting the market. History may not repeat itself, but it rhymes. Was that Mark Twain?
    Look for WalMart to be selling Chinese cars in the next 10 years. Really!
  • hscrchscrc Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2002 XG350 with 64,000 miles which has been trouble free until last night.
    About 65 miles from home the accellerator pedal stopped functioning and the check engine light went on. The engine ran fine, the transmission was fine and enabled the car to limp along at 10-15 miles per hour. I pulled over to call a tow truck. After about 10 minutes I restarted the car and everything was back to normal other than the check engine light remaining on. I drove it home without incident.

I want to get it to the dealer and would like to be prepared in the event that they tell me that nothing's wrong with the car and that I'm nuts. I'm wondering about an accellerator position sensor or throttle position sensor. Has anyone else dealt with this problem??

Thanks, Vic Reyes
  • averigejoeaverigejoe Member Posts: 559
    My XG is a 2005. A very similar, but maybe shorter duration, problem has occurred to me maybe 5 times in 5000 miles since new. See my previous posts. I am not confident the dealer has corrected the underlying cause in 2 visits to shop. The service writer thinks it is an almost unheard of problem nationwide. I have my doubts about that too.
  • specialdoc2002specialdoc2002 Member Posts: 54
    Since the "check engine" light came on, a fault code should have been captured. This is most likely one of the sensors or the wiring or connector(s) related to a sensor. My wife's 2002 XG did this same thing and that is what it turned out to be. Don't recall now which sensor, but replacement did the trick. It occurred at about 45,000 miles.
  • hscrchscrc Member Posts: 5
    Thanks to those of you who replied from my posting of a couple of days ago. I just received a call from the service writer who informed me that there was a code in the computer for the accellerator response sensor. He did not recommend that this be replaced as the computer showed it operating correctly at this time. He was not sure if it was a warranty item. The service writer also informed me that the problem could be the computer, however, it was working fine as well. This is exactly what I was expecting - to be told that there is nothing really wrong and that I have to wait for this to happen again (hopefully not in the passing lane or while pulling on to a highway). Somehow this is not translating to peace of mind.

I was also told that the car, per the computer, needed a cannister closer valve, which is a fairly pricey emission system part, not covered under warranty (I have 64k mi. on this vehicle). I passed on this as the computer may be defective and it
    obviously may not be a correct reading.

I've been really happy with this vehicle up until the past weekend. I hope this info will be of some benefit to participants in this forum.Vic Reyes
    Vic -
    I think you're being jerked around. You experience a problem that is clearly related to accelerator, the fault code says accelerator response sensor, and this genius says that since the fault is not present when you show up at the dealership, that no action is warranted? Has he never heard of an "intermittent fault"? What does he think is the purpose of the fault codes and the fact that they are designed to latch up and be stored?

Seems unlikely that the computer could have failed in such a way as to produce the effects you saw.

Is there another dealer that you can try, within reasonable distance from you?
  • dbronzodbronzo Member Posts: 19
    I have a 2002 XG350L with 30,000 miles. A pretty trouble free car except for that overly touchy gas pedal problem. I am within 5,000 miles of needing new tires and was wondering what other size 16 inch tires could possibly fit besides the original 205X60X16. Also what brand name other drivers have used for replacement and are they happy with handling and road noise as the original michelin's are noisy.
    Thanks,
    Dennis
    See message #1692
  • retirednakretirednak Member Posts: 5
    My wife bought a '01 XG 300L with around 25,000 miles on it. (3 weeks ago)
    She commutes around 90 miles a day and we've been disappointed in the fuel mileage of the car.
    She has only been getting around 18-20 mpg at the most on the Hwy @ 65mphwith the cruise set. (I made a mistake posting a higher mileage on another forum yesterday) The only dealer locally said we were lucky to be getting mileage this high!
    Our old Ply. Acclaim with the 3.0 Liter V6 still will get 26-28mpg under the same conditions.
    There are no trouble codes coming up, nor is the check engine light on.
    What kind of mileage can she expect to get out of this car?
    Second question, since its a V6 Hyundai, I've not been able to find a Cold Air Intake kit,such as one from K&N or another brand. I'd liked to find a Throttle Body Spacer since they can improve mileage and performance.
    We'll also be going with a duel exhaust system for the car,
    again for mileage increase. I 'm sure this engine is choked up some and can benefit from aftermarket goodies, but It seems there is next to nothing in the aftermarket for the XG300L or the V6. Don't get me wrong, we're not trying to build a go fast car, but at $ 2.38 per gallon and prices going up almost weekly here in Alaska, any improvement in mileage would be great!
    Can anyone offer any advice or have made any of the same modifications?
    Thank you
    It's well known that the XG doesn't get very good gas mileage. Yours sounds pretty much like ours. What puzzles me is how you would be able to make the changes you are contemplating and make out financially. Have you actually run the numbers, to determine whether you'd have a prayer of getting your money back? I'd be amazed if you could, unless the mods can be made very cheaply.
  • rbehnkerbehnke Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2004 XG 350L and have loved it up until this week and here is why. I have only had the car for 5 months and putting 14,200 mile ( yes I drive alot). Here is my issue: The car has always pulled to the right since I drove it off the lot and has gotten progresivly worse. Once the steering wheel started to shake I knew there was a problem. I had a blow out on Friday and have since brought it to the dealer. They are telling me since the car has over 12,000 mile on it the warrantly for a wheel alignment is no longer good. I brought it to an independant dealer who performed a wheel alignment test. The results are quite disturbing to say the least. Not only was the front way out of wack but the back was completly out as well. He told me that it is definatly a problem with the car NOT a aligment problem. I since have brought it back to the dealer to see if they will replace all 4 tire since they are worn to the steel belts (after only 14,000 miles) and find out what is the problem. They blam it on me for not maintaining the car. Has anyone else heard of such a problem with the design or anything else on this model??? I am afraid to replace all 4 tire and have this problem keep occuring since it is about $800.00 for the tires and a new allignment. Please help!!! Thanks, rbehnke
  • wendijowendijo Member Posts: 1
    YES! I was browsing this forum to see if anyone had this problem as well. We have experienced acceleration when applying the brakes on two occasions. Once I was driving, and once my mother was driving. Neither of us have exceptionally large feet, either. When it happened to me, I was approaching a stop sign, and when I went to brake, the car kind of lurched forward. I was smashing the brake pedal into the floor, but the car did not want to stop. It felt like the brakes were working, then the car would accelerate, and back and forth. Since it had not happened before, we assumed I must have had my foot on both the gas and the brake. However, just recently my mother ran into her garage door because as she pulled up, the brakes pulsated once again. We will definitely be checking into this. It sounds as though there needs to be a recall. If anyone has information regarding a recall, please post!
  • rbehnkerbehnke Member Posts: 2
    We have a 5 month old (2005) XG w/ 14,000 miles and it needs 4 new tires!! Dealer & Hyundai say it is a maintance problem. How can anyone go through four 80,000 mi tires in 5 months? Has anyone else had their XG pull to the right and go through tires too quickly? Two outside Mechanics have stated that there is clearly an issue with the frame of the car which has caused the tire wear. Yet Hyundai & AUFFENBERG have refused to do ANYTHING to fix our FIVE MONTH OLD CAR!!!!!!! Please help, I need any backing info I can go to the dealer with. Things are getting ugly! Hyundai's big rep from Texas (we are in Illinois) is a real gem! I have heard of other owners having the same problems. I would love to have more similar cases to show our wonderful dealer! Who is not, "Standing behind their sale" (we bought ours from AUFFENBERG in O'fallon IL) PLEASE RESPOND if you have had similar issues. Don't you just love that great Hyundai warrenty! Thanks Shelly B
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    Your dealer is correct. Wheel alignments are only covered under the 12k "adjustment" warranty. It's in your manual. This is standard across all car companies. Since you knew something wasn't right with the alignment from the beginning, you really should have taken it in sooner and had it fixed under warranty and then you wouldn't have to be dealing with new tires (by the way, your tires are not 80k tires; you would be lucky to get 45k out of them under normal circumstances). So let this be a learning experience for you. Next time, when you know something isn't right, take it in to be fixed asap; that's what the warranty is there for! You can't expect Hyundai to replace your tires when you wait until they are bald to complain about a suspension problem. You also can't expect a free wheel alignment even though it's obvious the problem has been there for awhile, because as far as the dealer is concerned, you waited until after the warranty period was up before saying anything. They can't bill Hyundai so they're going to bill you.
    The wheel alignment could have been set wrong at the factory or something happened in transit to mess it up. It happens a lot. It's not a problem with the car itself. Just get it realigned and the car should be fine. Only if its impossible to get it aligned within specs does it mean something is wrong with the car itself. If that's what these mechanics are stating, then I would have the Hyundai dealer see if its possible to align the car. If they can't do it either, then you have cause to be upset and they would have to prove the car was wrecked in order to deny any warranty repairs. But I must say, $800 for new tires and a wheel alignment?? If that's what that independent shop wants to charge you, walk no run far away! This shouldn't cost more then $500. They are ripping you off royally.
  • jackson33jackson33 Member Posts: 14
    Touche lngtonge18, I agree exactly.
  • tiki1tiki1 Member Posts: 1
    :mad: I have an 01 XG300, I have owned it for less than 1 year and have several problems. Currently my car is in the shop for what seems like the millionth time since I bought. It has been there for one week, I orginally brought it in because the car was shifting hard when going from reverse to drive and the car would hesitate before accelerating. The car has been in twice before for the same problems. Last time I was told the car was running fine except I needed a new transmission mount. Right away I could tell it the problems had not been fixed so I waited a couple weeks and called and made another appointment. This time they have told me that I need a motor mount bracket, and they needed to reprogram my ECM. A day later they said my car won't be done for a couple more days because they need to put in a new transmission. My car has been gone for one week and today they called to tell me the car still shifts hard going into reverse or drive and they don't know what the problem is but will let me know when it's fixed. This car has been so frustrating to own and I'm curious if anyone else has encountered these type of problems.
    We bought our '01 XG 300L less then a month ago and noticed that the car was shifting funny. In manual mode it would shutter when warm and also on hot days 70-75degrees ( that's hot in Alaska) the car would jump around from park to reverse, reverse to drive.
    So I took the car to the dealer and was told we needed a new transmission! We just got it back Fri., and the car is very doggie in the auto mode unless your almost floor boarding it. In the manual mode it drives like a dream. In the auto mode it's almost as if the car is shifting too soon. I may take it back to the dealer depending upon if my wife can continue to live with it. And so far so good all the old problems went away! It sucks to only have one dealer within 350 miles and trying to get things warranted such as our radio that goes from playing CD's to radio when it feels like it. I even tried to get a front A/C vent warranted that came out in my wife hand when she adjusted it. We were told Hyundai wouldn't warrant it because it might look like it had been abused! :lemon:
    We usually drive our vehicles until the Alaskan rust eats the body away or until the car doesn't move at all. Now days it's nothing for a car to go over 100,000 + miles. So it doesn't matter much to me if it takes longer to pay for the upgrades if I could ever find them. Since I do have a business I get jobber rates on automotive parts, and I think I can do everything for under $400.00.
    My big question is why doesn't the XG get very good mileage? It's not like it's a high horsepower engine to begin with. K&N does make just a filter.</ When I bought a new '95 Caprice with the LT1 engine package 270+ HP / with cop suspension and it would get 24-26 mpg at 70+ mph. There must be a reason the 3.0 Liter engine is not very efficient.
    Does anybody else have any ideas?
    There are a few reasons why you will never see stellar mileage from your XG. The engine may not have a lot of horsepower, but it is asked to carry a lot of weight around. Lower power engines suck more gas when asked to move heavy cars because they have to work harder. The gear ratios used is also a lot different from your old Caprice. Modern V6 engines rev higher then the old pushrod engines did, which thus eats more gas. Lastly, Hyundai engines in general have always been behind the competition in gas mileage due to lower tech designs. Their engines have only recently started adopting higher tech gadgets to improve mileage. Your engine doesn't benefit from variable valve timing and other gas saving features. Overall, the engine just isn't as efficient as it could be.
  • blackrussianblackrussian Member Posts: 29
    In all fairness to the XG, the Lexus 430 which is rated the number one car in the world for the money,(about $70,000 loaded) and is about the same size as a XG, maybe a little heavier, only gets 19 mpg city/highway accorrding to Consumer Reports. My 2004 350XG gets 20 mpg city/highway, Hyundai must be doing something right.
    We had two LS400's (1990 & 1999) and have had an XG350 for over 2 years and 50,000 miles. It has been interesting to observe that the weakest points in the design of both of them are (1) control of the transmission, and (2) control of interior temperature. Actually, from the standpoint of the day-to-day experience, the vehicles seem remarkably similar.
    That Lexus is also powered by a large 4.3 liter V8 compared to the XG's 3.5 liter V6. The fact that your V6 is only averaging 1 mpg better then a larger V8 isn't something to brag about. Rather, it shows the inefficiency I was mentioning above. Don't take this the wrong way though. The 3.5 V6 is a smooth engine and has good power. It's just not all that fuel efficient.
  • blackrussianblackrussian Member Posts: 29
    It is not that I was bragging, I was just getting a little tired of reading many messages on here berating the mpg of the XG 350, I`m satisfied with my 20 mpg, if some people are getting worse mileage maybe it is their poor driving habits and not the fault of the car. I could have bought 3--- XG350`s for the price of one Lexus LS430 and as the previous poster stated he can`t see much difference between them, and I also own a Lexus ES300 which cost me 33,000 and I like the XG350L better and it only cost me 21,800. It would be interesting to see what the mpg`s were if there was a V8 for the XG350`s, I`ll bet it would be better than the Lexus`s.
  • capttv01capttv01 Member Posts: 6
    I've had a 2004 XG350 for about 19 months and it has around 13,000 miles on it. The mileage is low because I take the train from Long Island into NYC to get to work. I track my gas mileage closely and the car gets around 17MPG doing the daily 3 mile hops back and forth from the train station and other local driving. When I take longer trips on the interstate at steady 65-70 MPH, I get 24-25 MPG. These numbers are very close to the new car sticker estimates. I am not a "lead foot" but I will use the engine's power when warranted (and just for the heck of it sometimes).

The engine is quiet and powerful with excellent acceleration and the ride is smooth and solid. People need to realize that Hyundai is continuing to refine its engines and has not yet reached the efficiency levels of the Japanese companies. Having said that, it remains more than competitive with them and the other brands noted above --- especially when you factor in the "bargain price" of 22K I paid for this car. You may get better MPG on some comparable cars but when you figure out how much more you paid for those cars, the Hyundai is a steal. Let's face it, this is all nitpicking. The XG is a great car loaded with features and I'm glad I bought it. Later.
  • idforedidfored Member Posts: 20
    Hi all,
    I have an XG350 2002 w/ 62000 mile and about to bring it to my mechanic for 60k service. It is recommended to change transmission fluid at 10.5k in owner's mannual. I know technology changes but for my old cars I used to change it at 30k or 60k... just not comfortable waiting till 10.5k. What would you do?
  • danf1danf1 Member Posts: 897
    Personally, I would wait. But that is mostly because I can't keep a car that long so I don't really care if the transmission dies. It can't hurt to change it now. If it puts your mind at ease then I would say do it.
  • nmooneynmooney Member Posts: 3
    My 2004 XG was delivered with very poor alignment. The dealership disbelieved me, but when I finally got them to check, the computer showed significant problems all around. At 10K miles it became misaligned again for no apparent reason, quite suddenly and seemingly dramatically. The dealer realigned it at no charge again, but I must say the computer showed only slight misalignment. My tires show no noticeable wear: I rotated them at 6K, presently have 10,500 miles.
    If you want your tranny to last, I would change the fluid. The auto tranny is the most common mechanical failure on Hyundais. If it fails before 100k, there is a good possibility Hyundai will refuse to warranty it because you didn't change the fluid under the severe usage guidelines. No automatic can be expected to last long without fresh fluid.
    Our 2002 XG is 3 years old and has 51,000 miles on it. Problem has been present to some degree since new but recently has been getting worse.

Is quite repeatable under these conditions: 70 mph, level highway, cruise control ON. After starting up a hill, transmission will (appropriately) downshift from 5th gear to 4th. During the shift, car shudders rather violently. After passing the crest of the hill, descending, transmission will (appropriately) upshift from 4th gear into 5th. During the shift, carf shudders rather violently.

Before taking this problem up with dealer, I would like to know if anyone else has experienced this problem and, if so, whether it has it been diagnosed and solved satisfactorily. Seems like the root problem could be either mechanical or electronic.

Thanks
  • tevyatevya Member Posts: 2
    yes. have had the identical problem. just won't do it for the service tech @ the dealership
  • tevyatevya Member Posts: 2
    south florida roads. lots of water. looking a quite ride if that is possible. have dunlop 205/60/R-16's
    any recommendations?
    See message #1692. I still think they are terrific tires for XG.
  • johno111johno111 Member Posts: 114
    Have a 2001 XG, first repacement set was Bridgestone RE750's, greate in the rain you can run thru 3 inches of water and the care will not move on you, the are very very sticky and never slide or fishtailed with them. They are a little loud. But you pay the price, they don't wear very well, only got about 15 k on them. Second set that I currently runny are those new Goodyear Assurance Comfort tread, so far very well pleased with these, grip in the rain is pretty good. They sell another Goodyear Assurance that has a pretty agressive tread design and they should be execellent in rain just like the Bridgestone RE750's but alot cheaper. Check on the tirerack.com there are alot of comments on all three of these tires.
  • chiefwochiefwo Member Posts: 1
    Autoheadlights...They operate normally as you describe. I do not use the function but leave mine on all the time because all accessory and most other power is removed when the igniton is turned off and one leaves the car. If you want the lights to function in the auto mode, I am afraid you will have to be annoyed by that quirk. Note that they don't come on when it rains or in subdued light.
    Speakers... Sounds like a bad amp to me. Look at the wires on the rear speakers to see if someone inadvertently knocked them loose or pinched them.
    Seats...The book says the parking brake must be set for the auto seat function to work. Set your parking brake and check to see if your indicator light on the dash lites. Also watch for it when the system does it's diagnostic when the ignition switch is set to run and not start. :);)
  • tom49tom49 Member Posts: 1
    I'd like to buy a XG350. How's the price of XG350? Is there anyone who have bought a XG350 recently can let me know the price? It would be very helpful for me. I mean the price is the out the door price. Thank you.
  • jmonroejmonroe Member Posts: 8,989
    Reply to #1765
    I bought an XG350 (not an L) at the end of April 2005 in the Pittsburgh PA area of Monroeville for $19,500 plus tax. I thought this was a pretty good price and still feel that way but if you buy now since its a little later in the model year you might do better at least in this area. I did have two dealers competing with each other (one via an internet quote) and I know this helped. Each one claimed to be losing money matching and doing better than the other guys price but since each one was willing to lose money to get a sale, I wasn't going to stop them from continuing with the competition. Unfortunately, after a couple rounds of this, it did end and I was forced to buy at the last price especially since this was a good bit better than the Edmunds TMV price at the time.

As you know, anytime you buy a car you have to be somewhat prepared because the dealers are and since they're in business to make money no matter what you pay, it is ALWAYS good enough for the dealer or they aren't going to sell. What we the buyer are trying to do is get the best deal at the time we buy. There is probably a better deal out there somewhere but how much time and how far are you willing to go to get it ? Once you have done your homework that's all you can do. Don't let the shiny new sheetmetal and new car smell cloud your reasonable judgment, there is always another car at another dealership. On the other hand, if you just have to have 'that car' don't worry about the deal, just buy it you'll learn how to live with it.

So far I'm satisfied with my XG350 but why shouldn't I be it only has 1300 miles on it !!!. The real test and as I noted in the Hyundai survey, "how reliable will it be 3 or 4 maybe even 10 years from now" (yes, I do keep my cars for a while). Having said that, I have experienced the 'Hyundai throttle by wire quirk' and I plan to have this looked at soon. It's not bad just annoying. I was just trying to hold off on this to see if anything else crops up. So far so good and I won't try to diswade you from buying an XG350 because I do like everything about this car, just be prepared when you shop.

Sorry if I went on too much, it's just my second bad habit (the other one is being ripped-off by car dealers).

jmonroe

'15 Genesis V8 with Ultimate Package and '18 Legacy Limited 6 cyl

• philk1philk1 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 04 XG350L which I really enjoy driving. I have driven lincolns, caddy's even a Jag in recent years. I like the XG350L as well as any of them, actually better. They are good looking, comfortable, with plenty of moxie. I do hear a little front end shock noise that at 10,400 miles should not be there. I only hear this on choppy city streets. I think the tranny shifts a little strange with the extra low ratio 1st gear. It is ok if you don't punch it hard off the line, just gently taking off, it is hardly noticable. My question to other owners, do you experience this agressiveness of 1st gear, especially when the car is cold? So far in 10,500 miles I have not had a single failure problem of any kind. :D
  • derbergderberg Member Posts: 4
    While our car had about 35,000 miles on it, the tranny downshifted roughly from 5th to 4th too, but under a different circumstance -- when slowing down from 50 or so to about 30 or 35. There was no shudder in the car, just the rough downshift.

As I recall, the dealer's service department traced it to a bad speed sensor and/or reset the electronic controls. Every once in a while now it does it, but less harshly. The cause seems minor and we bought an extended warranty, so I'm not worried about it.
  • derbergderberg Member Posts: 4
    Our '02 XG350 has a very touchy gas pedal, and maybe what you're experiencing is actually that. I have to be careful in starting out from a dead stop, especially if I haven't driven it in a while. I prop my foot against the tunnel to the right and ease on the pedal. I wish this were changeable, but I guess it's not.
    Yes, our '02 XG350 has the same touchy gas pedal that others have remarked about. I have owned about 50 different cars and cannot recall any other that behaved anything like that. Still, although it does take a bit of getting used to, I think that it is not really a problem and, in fact, is rather entertaining, producing the illusion that the car is a better performer off the line than it really is. And, although most published road tests have dismissed the XG as being uninspiring to drive, I continue to feel that on balance it is rather fun to drive.
  • philk1philk1 Member Posts: 2
    I don't think my situation is a touchy gas pedal, although I can definetly see the correlation. If I stand on mine, there is rather pronounced acceleration, with a some what rough shift out of low gear. If I just ease off the line it shifts right away and is not objectionable. I find this more pronounced if the engine is cold. I can attest the accelerator is some what touchy and revs come quickly.
    I also find the XG350 to be an excellent performer on the highway in passing and in general acceleration. I drive a super charged Buick Regal and find the XG350 real close for over all performance. The kick down on the XG350 is not as robust as the 3.8 supercharged, but then it isn't as big. Thanks to both of you for responding to my inquiry.
  • gsenftgsenft Member Posts: 9
    I have a 2004 XG350 that had similar problems as yours and many others I have read about. I took my car to dealer with 6200 miles on it for my second free oil change and rotating of tires. Since my 1 year was almost up, I asked for a new grommet that held net up and to check door alignment and mentioned transmission problems. I told them, that I saw on one of the web sites, that there was software available to fix problem. They stated it depended on my cars vin # if it needed the upgrade software. It appears that my vin # was one that needed the software updates. They down loaded or loaded software into engine but still did not fix problem, They then did a complete xmission flush also. That did not fix the aggressiveness either. Finally after 2 hrs they gave me a loaner as they said they were working with the Hyundai tech people and had to try some other things. Well ,they called me at home later and told me they got authorization to replace the transmission and it would take several days to get and install. I got car back after several days and what a difference!!! It shifts like you expect a car to. I even have to push gas pedal a little now and it shifts thru first 2 gears really fast. So I am glad I have access to the tech bulletins etc and spoke up. The service mgr stated they only check the xmissions if the customer complains. I can now feel comfortable letting strangers park my car now, as I was afraid they would drive right thru walls. I am now letting wife drive etc. I never felt that that aggressive gas pedal was safe. I now enjoy my 350 more than ever!
  • jang3jang3 Member Posts: 10
    About a week ago, while I was approaching a red light.... there was little 'jolt' and 'check engine' light came on. Then my XG seem lose some of its power. (Its 2001 model with little over 50,000 miles on it.)

I took into a dealership next morning.... Few days later, the service advisor told me the WHOLE transmission need to be replaced. I was frustrated about having major surgery!

The next morning, 5th day in the shop, I was informed the car was fixed, somehow.
    A 'district technician' stopped by the dealer and found bad connection at speed sensor.

It would be few thousand dollars waste.
  • jiaminjiamin Member Posts: 556
    bought it two days ago. It has 95K miles. Its fog light is not working. Fuse is checked fine. I swapped its relay with one of the other relays of the same type but still not working. The foldback rear seat can't be folded down with lock in "free" position. The seat shoulder button is pressed down, and will not pop back up. The power brake seems to have lot less power assistance compared to most other cars. I wonder if some other owners know the answer(s).

Dealer told me that after the car is bought by a second owner, the 10year/100K warranty is shortened to 5year/50K. Is it true?

Thank for any reply/answer.
  • jang3jang3 Member Posts: 10
    Fog Light : It only turn on when main head lights are on. Otherwise, check forg light bulb.
    Fold Seat-Back : When its locked, will not open. Button should be poped up when its back to original position.
    Parking Brake : Over time, as rear brake worns out... it may need adjustment.
    Warranty : Dealer is correct. Unless its ownership transfers to 'close' relative, such as daughter, the 10 year/ 100K mile warranty is not transferable.
    Thanks a lot jang3.

Actually I was not talking about the paking brake, but the brade that I need to slow down the car when driving. It does not provide enough power, meaning I have to step on it harder than I do on most my other cars. Brake fluid tank is at max. Maybe due to the slipping belt?

Seems like to access to fog light bulb, I have to go underneath the car...

I did unlock the switch on back side of seat back from the trunk. "free" is in upper position. It does not work.

I'll just have to take some time to fix them one by one...
    Except I got something to fix, this car drives wonderfully, compared to its price. It's so quiet, very close to my 00 RX300. Most noise comes from the road.

Later if I decide to buy a new sedan, Hyundai will be on my shop list.
  • beemer3beemer3 Member Posts: 3
    Vistar, We are having similar problems. Would love to hear how the new car is performing since last post, having the same problem?

Also, what did the dealer try to fix and what did they tell you was problem? They tell us they have never heard of this and since can't recreate problem (they have had car for the 4th time in less than 1200 miles and have put over 500 miles on it themselves) they have no idea what to do.

We are very frustrated, wife is afraid to drive the car, almost rear ended during last occurannce. Hyundai not very responsive. Consumer affairs says there is no one we can escalate this to?????

Anyone else have a response? What to do?

Thanx
    The piece below the top arm rest lid is cracked where screws hold it. I asked dealer and found it's ~ $500 ! Dealer got shocked too. I think it'd a design issue. the studs and their adjacent walls are too thin to hold screws well. I will see if I can come up with a fix myself, using epoxy with some reinforcer.

The front cup holder lid always pops open, whenever there is a little shake to its neighbor.