Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai XG300 and XG350

Comments

• vistarvistar Member Posts: 4
    Beemer--

Bad news regarding the replacement car. I haven't posted anything because I figured no one on the board would ever believe it. The replacement car is doing the exact same thing. I drive heavy miles and in 9800 miles since March 22 swap date, I have logged 53 incidents ranging from minor lurches, to starts in high gear, moving forward slowly and then dropping into low gear with a huge lurch, to 2 to 5 strong lurches in a row. In the worst case the car "laid rubber" and I took it in to have engine mounts checked. The dealer wants nothing to do with me and actually said, "It's the way you drive the car." They have yet to log one single comment about my complaints on the second car. They claim the car cannot be serviced, and that unless an employee of the dealership can duplicate while driving my car, the Hyundai Motor Company will not allow any repairs. (This is a breach of contrat- I have a premium warranty for 100K bumper to bumper service) They have also not allowed repairs on the original car--- that's frosting the dealer as he can't resell it with an unconfirmed defect. He reports he has had 7 different employees drive it and over 1500 miles they can't duplicate it. I have explained that certain conditions need to occur and even then it is not totally predictable. He jus twalks away and ignors me.
    Out of fear that there will be an accident or injury, I have logged every start with the second car going back to mile 6. I record the odometer mileage, the engine compartment temperature and time of day and describe the start as "clear" or summarize the incident. (More than 500 entries so far). I have e-mailed the log periodically to the dealer so they can't claim I never made them aware of it.

If I were the dealer I would be very concerned about liability if anything goes wrong.

Also - I finally got another driver to duplicate it. Last week, I loaned the XG350L to another driver for a 30 mile trip and she let it sit for about 2 hours after arrival. The temperature outside was cool... and she got the scare of her life when she started the car, put it in drive and touched the gas pedal. She said the lurch was so fast and so violent that she wasn't even sure if she touched the pedal.. it was like a flash going off.

Be sure to file your complaint at http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/ We are not alone. You will find others just like it. With enough complaints, Hyundai is going to have to quit sandbagging this serious safety issue and address it.

Also, since I have been struck by lightning twice (and considering the low defects per million vehicles, that's about the correct odds) I have been invited to appear live on the Car Concerns radio program to be broadcast on subscribing AM stations (Horne Radio Network) Saturday, July 24 between 1 and 3PM EDT. A recording of the show will be available online at www.fastlanepublishers.com If you can possibly call in during the show, we'll talk about the problem and see if we can get some action going to help us. The tool free call in number is 877-958-5850

Good luck with your car. I don't think Hyundai has a solution for the problem. But with patience we will eventually get this serious safety defect addressed.
  • jjb2jjb2 Member Posts: 3
    I purchased an XG350 in May of this year. It started the behavior that you talk about in your email almost immediately. I have had it in to the dealership 5 times and get the same responses that you have--cannot duplicate therefore cannot fix. They also questioned by driving. I just laughed because I have been driving for 50 years. Isn't it interesting that there are no other reported cases? I am taking it to the dealership for the 6th time on Monday, July 25th in response to my report to Hyundai that I have reported the car under the Florida Lemon Law. I also sent the report to the Department of Consumer Services, State of Florida. By law Hyundai has 10 days to fix the car. Then I get to go the arbitration. This will be interesting. Yes, the bucking and lurching the car does is very dangerous and scary. Under Florida Lemon Law, they have to either replace the car or refund my money. Of course, I will go for the refund if I get that far. I had a loaner for a week and it did the same thing, so it confirmed the problem for me. And get a load of this, the dealer offered to trade us for another of the same vehicle for an additional $1900. UNBELIEVABLE!!!!
  • beemer3beemer3 Member Posts: 3
    Vistar....oh my gosh, this just floors me. I was hoping for a happily ever after story.

Today the Hyundai District Mgr has gotten involved and is driving the car this evening. I'm sure nothing will happen and they will say sorry, can't fix if can't duplicate.

Will follow up with reporting to the nthsa, thanx for the link.

They continue to say they have never heard of this before. Have shown them this post and asked them to contact dealer in knoxville. Can't believe none of this is in their data base.

Will let you know how it all works out and will try to call radio show Sat.

Beemer
  • beemer3beemer3 Member Posts: 3
    jjb2...looks like we are coming out of the woodwork. Still can't believe Hyundai claim that nothing in their data base. Although Service Mgr did tell me there has to be a "huge" number of the same issue before they trigger the problem to the engineers. Hopefully we will have no injuries before then.

Unfortunately the Missouri Lemon Law is not as strong as Florida. We have to submit to Hyundai in writing, give them opportunity to fix, go to Hyundai arbitration and only then can we file under Lemon Law.

Keep us posted as to what happens and good luck.

Beemer
  • jiaminjiamin Member Posts: 556
    I went under the car front, trying to figure out how to take fog light off. I didn't find the way it is mounted. The only thing I found is how to disconnect the connector. If anyone tells me how I will greatly appriate it.

A mechanic briefly checked the car, found the ABS is not working. He applied the brake hard, but there was no braking pulse from ABS. ABS warning light does not come on. Don't know why.

Early I said dealer quote me the center arm rest lid for $500. I think it's wrong. It must be the entire center console. Two dealers were not be able to find the lid piece price. Looks like it's not that easy as I thought to take the lid off the console.
  • bluesky3bluesky3 Member Posts: 9
    I haven't posted to this board for a long time since I first got this car. At 43k, couple of minor problems, but nothing major so far. 1) Dash lights went out at 15k (fixed within a day), 2) dead battery at 30k, free replacement by dealer, 3) check engine light came on at 35k - bad speed sensor connection and 4) recently another check engine light came on while on highway - myteriously it went away on the day that I was planning to bring it in (after 3 days). Anyone has any idea what this could be? Probably a loose gas cap.

Overall, we're very happy with this car. We're in the market for a second car, and my wife wanted to go with another hyundai. Wanted to wait for the Hyundai minivan - but can't really wait that long. On well.
  • frank350xglinfrank350xglin Member Posts: 1
    Own xg350 with 2000 miles and since 200 miles I have noticed a shaking feeling thru the accelerator and foot rest when accelerating moderately, especially just after the car shifts to 2nd gear. Seems worse with AC on, and is not always the same. Sometimes it is very noticeable and other times only faintly noticeable. Often before the engine warms up, I get no shaking at all for the first few miles. Took back to dealer and no one could reproduce the problem therefore, no repairs. Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this problem. Let me know by posting a note.
    Thanks
    fej
  • jiaminjiamin Member Posts: 556
    was checked by dealer. They scanned the error code and found it was the rear two ABS sensors. Sensors are good but something blocked them. They cleaned them and said OK now. However, I tested with my heavy foot on the brake, I still didn't get any ABS pumping. Maybe it is the design. The ABS warning light is working fine even before dealer's service. Therefore my question is that why ABS light shows normal when there is error with ABS?

Besides ABS, this car has a long stopping distance than most cars I drove.
  • averigejoeaverigejoe Member Posts: 559
    January '05 purchase. $18738 plus tax and license and a $296 document fee for the XG350L with all factory equipment and 23 miles on the odometer. But then I paid an additional $200 for sun and heat reflecting polyester window tint film which was dealer installed. Anti-theft window etching was included in the deal at no charge.
    There was a $3000 total rebate from Hyundai. The rest of the discount was courtesy of the dealer. There was no trade-in car and no factory nor dealer financing shenanigans to obfuscate the cash deal price.
    I wonder if better XG350L deals are possible now that the '06 Sonata is available and the Azera is coming out soon.
    Anyone get a better deal than 70.5% x MSRP with no dealer adds (plus tax, license and doc) ?
    Nothing was rotten in Denmark.
    The actual deal in January 2005 worked out even better than the advertised price of $18999 for a new 2005 XG350L which had a $26594 MSRP.
    But, that was then, this is now. How much are these cars selling for now? Are there any even left for sale?
    If so, the new 2006 Sonata in GLS or LX trim might be selling for considerably higher prices than the '05 XG350L.
    How about you buyers now? Which is more attractive for your $$ ? A new 2006 Sonata or a new 2005 XG350 ? Which would you pay more for?
    Or are you waiting for the new Azera?
    So glad the new transmission worked for you. I have had so many frightening experiences with my 2005 XG with the same kind of lurching that you were probably having. Even with the slightest pressure on the accerlerator, I have bounced forward with such thrust that my back tires have squeeled--and I am not a teenager out to make that kind of noise. My response to this problem has been that they have never heard of it and can't duplicate it therefore, can't fix it. Please tell me which dealership fixed this problem for you and maybe I can refer my people to them. Thanks.
    Beemer, I forgot to tell you that they are sending an engineer down here to FL to check out my car. Maybe that's good for all of us. I have looked back at several posts on this subject. We are definitely not the lone rangers here. Someone got a new transmission and said now his car shifts like a normal car. What is this denial thing with Hyundai?
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Please feel free to discuss any issues here. We need to keep a few ground rules in mind, though.

- Please do not list any specific contact information for third-parties. We cannot verify that others want their telephone numbers, email addresses, etc. made public so we have to remove messages that contain information along those lines.

- Please do not post your own email address. If you want others to have it, just make it public in your profile.

- Please do not use these Forums to solicit others into joining a group action for or against any purpose.

If there are any questions, drop me an email. Thanks!!
    2035 mile trip in 29 hours. Three people and luggage for a week. Nearly all freeway with cruise control on at 75 to 80 mph.
    Average miles per gallon for entire trip was 25.80 Car has 10,000 miles on it now.
    I'm very happy with that fuel economy under those conditions.

What mpg are you all getting?
  • dbronzodbronzo Member Posts: 19
    I'm looking at tires to replace the Michelin's that came with the car. Only 32,000 miles and they are junk. I'm constantly watching tire pressure and rotate every 5,000 miles. I think that 32,000 miles is not that great. I'm looking at Toyo's, one is a "toyo proxes" TPT and another is a "toyo spectrum." The spectrum has a one step lower speed rating than the originals and the proxes have one step higher. Also has anyone heard or used "federal's", they are also one step higher. Is it safe to get a one step lower speed rated tire???
    Thanks,
    Dennis
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    As I mentioned in the post at the following link, specific contact information - including telephone numbers - may not be posted in these Forums: pat, "Hyundai XG300/XG350" #1797, 14 Aug 2005 4:13 am.

If there are questions, feel free to email me - thanks!
  • gsenftgsenft Member Posts: 9
    Hyundai of New Port Richey, Florida. Contact me via e-mail and can give more specifics----Gsenft
  • lgrant3lgrant3 Member Posts: 1
    I just brought at Hyundai X350 I love it, but only one complaint Hyundai
    should advertising more on TV and thru the newspaper, people are always
    asking me what kind of vehicle it is, when i tell them it is a Hyundai, they
    say that is one classie vehicle, mind is black on black in black. Hyunadi
    keep up the good work, also, more variety of colors.

Lorraine,
    San Francisco
  • canopuscanopus Member Posts: 4
    I experienced the same problem. What action/resolution did you take to solve the problem?
  • phdrashedphdrashed Member Posts: 6
    Hi All
    I have a 2001 Hyundai XG300 and I am having problems with it and need help real bad. If anyone knows what are these OBDII codes for P1110, P1175, P1191, and P1196 and how to get them fixed. The other thing is that I had an OBDII codes for Shift solenoid P0760, P0750, do I need to replace the whole valve body or just the solenoids and how about rebuilding the transmission?
    This car has been a night mare with all sorts of problems. I had to replace the throttle body the mass airflow sensor, speed sensors, etc. I would appreciate all the help that I can get. These problems are very costly to fix and any help will be appreciated. Thanks and take care.

PhD Rashed
  • jacostajacosta Member Posts: 1
    Fej

I am having numerous problems with my XG350 and it has been in several times over the last 12 months and they cannot reproduce it. Please check my profile and feel free to email me with any results you are having. Be sure to get proper documentation and make sure that when you take it in, they place your language on the work order. We went to the BBB and are stuck with this vehicle that continues to break down.
  • txlady1966txlady1966 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 XG 300 with 47,000 miles on it. Up until now, it hasn't given me any problems except having to have the transmission replaced by in January of this year. I had a Grand-AM with less than 10,000 miles that had it's transmission go out so I wasn't too concerned. I don't know if anyone has had the following problems. Please let me know if you have and how you solved it.

On August 1, my back windows would not roll up after they were rolled down. Plus, the seatbelt light would not go off even though the seat belts were fastened. The light would stay on even when the car was off. My battery was dead according to the dealership and I bought a new battery and they replaced the module controlling the windows. A week later, my battery is dead and my passenger window would not roll down. They replaced that module and charged my battery. On August the 15, my battery was dead yet again. They claimed it was a bad battery and replaced it. On the 20th, my battery was dead. The alternator was supposedly bad and they replaced it. On the 29th, my parking brake light and air bag light were on and those modules were replaced. On September 13th, again the car was dead and they said there was a short in the starter. They replaced the starter and on the 30th of September my car died once again.

Does anyone have any suggestions? My car has been wonderful up until now. I don't understand why they can't/won't find and fix the problem. It is under warranty and even had an extended warranty (so they can't wait for it to go out of warranty and then charge me).

I'm almost done paying off the car and I don't want to finance another car. I have other bills to pay off. That is why I bought the extended warranty. I may have to get a lawyer and sue.

Thanks for any help.
  • xfordxford Member Posts: 14
    The original tires on my 2002 350L were good for about the same mileage. I replaced them with Bridgestone Potenza RE92 and they lasted even shorter - about 27,000 miles. I got BF Goodrich Touring T/A Pro 91V rtires over the weekend. In answer to your question, the lower speed rated should be fine for normal driving. There are not that many places where you can push your car to the limits of your tires.
  • canopuscanopus Member Posts: 4
    I read with interest that some owners of Hyundai's XG350 had a problem with the car lurching/accelerating/jumping while the foot pressed firmly on the breaks. I had this happen to me three times within a period of two years and 17K miles and I was able to duplicate it intentionally after a dozen tries.

The third and last time it happened it almost killed my wife. I had the car in reverse and the car completely stopped with my foot pressed hard on the brakes. When my wife opened the passenger door to get into the passenger side of the car, the car lurched violently backward and pinned her between the door and a chimney, then pushed her further back and pressed her against an old refrigerator which is stored in the garage. Luckily the car stopped. We had to take my wife to the emergency room. She suffered several bruises extreme swelling and needed surgery to drain the fluids in the swelling areas.
    If any Hyundai's owners had similar lurching experience I like to hear from them.
  • davidxxdavidxx Member Posts: 1
    Now that my 2004 350L has about 22K miles on it, I was interested to hear about experiences with other brands. My main problem now is trying to find aftermarket Cabin Air Filter(s) ! Virtually all the website show a 'single' ~8"x10" filter, but my car has two 4"x10" stacked filters. The opening behind the glove box is just large enough for a single 4" high filter to slide in ... which then drops down allowing the second 4" filter to slide in on top on it. None of the website I visit show this arrangement. Anyone changed out their filter(s) yet??
    I wish more people would post here. But I guess there are not really many owners of this car. I like mine just fine at the price I paid.
    Michelin MXV energy tires should be about the longest lasting ones out there. Also a newer one called Michelin Destiny.
    You should always buy a replacement tire that has a speed rating at least as fast as your car's top speed.
    In some comparative negligence tort law states, you could be held financially responsible for damages incurred by another person if a crash occurred while driving in excess of the tire speed rating of a tire you bought and installed on the car.
    A little latitude please? From the Azera board:

#291 of 292 Hmm delayed again? by keithl Nov 03, 2005
    I stopped by a dealer last week as I am wiating on my next purchase until the Azera ships. Well he now says they were told it was pushed into January. The reason, too many XG350 left to sell. Well with all the Azera buzz do they think many will opt for a XG350? I gues if I was in a jam and had to buy now. He did say there was over $4000 iin rebates on the XG350.

#292 of 292 Re: Azera, Sonata or XG350? [keithl] by averigejoe Nov 03, 2005
    The XG350s are really nice cars if you can get a new one around $18,000 or so. It has a nice smooth ride and power delivery. Has a lot of equipment too. Increase the air pressure in the tires to improve the mushy handling.
    Go test drive one, but first ask the dealer to put at least 38 or 39 lbs into each tire (they'll safely hold 50).
    Inside, the XGs look a lot like a 10 year old Infinity Q45 or a 15 year old Jaguar XJ sedan. Some of us still admire that style.
    Outside, from the front you may see the Infinity I 35. From the back, a little like a Bentley. Overall it is at least unique.
    Price-wise, a new XG should cost no more than a 4 cylinder Sonata GLS with the premium package. Compare those 2 if you are thinking of a new Hyundai sedan around $18,000.
    There are dramatic differences. Find out which suits you best.
    (But I am really anxious to try an Azera.)
  • pat24pat24 Member Posts: 2
    I purchased my XG350 in March 2005, since that time I have experienced problems with acceleration. When the car is started after an hour or so of idleness it will not exceed 20 MPH. It will continue for 10/15 mins. before going into a normal speed. Has anyone experienced this problem with their XG350? I have taken the car to the service center three times and they cannot find a problem. My car has been at the service station for more than ten days. They cannot find the problem and I am frustrated.....I need help. Thank you
    It has happened to me a few times.
    If it happens again, pump the accelerator pedal a few times rapidly to the floor.
    Mine started driving ok after doing that the last time.
  • pat24pat24 Member Posts: 2
    Averigejoe, Did you ever report this problem to Hyundai? They claim this was the first they heard about it......They have not had any complaints such as this.
    Thank you for the input.
    I took it to the dealership once, maybe twice. They could not duplicate the condition but I think they replaced a wheel speed sensor. I'll have to check the records to be sure.
    There are several posts on here months ago about this problem.
    Yeah, hahaha. That's what they told me too. Never had a problem like this before. Hahaha. I was the first. The only. Hahahaha.
    But check the messages on this board. The problem has been reported several times. And we are only a few owners.
  • georgegmuellergeorgegmueller Member Posts: 1
    Hello,
    My name is George Mueller.

I bought a 2005 XG350 which has automatically accelerated on its own while stopped at an intersection and other inconvenient places. I have spoke to Hyundai and they refuse to recognize the problem "because they can't duplicated it". I have already been given an XG350 to replace the first one I bought and it too has these same acceleration/braking problems.

I am interested in taking legal action if necessary to get this problem resolved for myself as well as anyone else experiencing these same kinds of problems.

I am looking for any information from anyone else who is experiencing these similar problems with getting Hyundai to resolve the speed/acceleration problems with their vehicles.

George
  • mrbfhmrbfh Member Posts: 1
    2002 XG350, 31,000 miles, I have owned it for 15 months. Over the last several months, the check engine light will come on and stay on for a few days, then go off for a few more days, then back on, etc.

Last week, I had an appointment with the dealer to check it out, and wouldn't you know it, the light cleared on my way to the dealer. I cancelled the appointment, ran some errands, and header for home (30 miles away). Not more than 5 miles from home, the light came back on!

I figure the only way to get to the bottom of this is to read the codes myself. I have an OBDII code reader, but it won't read the codes on my XG. I thought the OBDII was the standard on all cars since 1996.

What kind of code reader do I need?

Thanks
  • phdrashedphdrashed Member Posts: 6
    Hi
    I have a 2001 XG 300 and I have lots of problems with it. I took it to the dealer and that did not help much just a lot of $$$ for nothing. I bought Innova OBD II for 1996 and newer models and I am using it on my can and I tell you that it is saving me lots of $$$ just by getting the codes and the pad sensor and getting it fixed. I know OBD II should work if you need more info let me know. Take care and good luck
    Dr. Rashed
  • bettersafebettersafe Member Posts: 92
    I was just quoted $21,644 plus tax/title for a new XG350L from a dealer in Sheboygan WI... upgrading to 10yr 100K mile B2B warranty for $988. Not a bad price. I would rather get a car which has had its bugs worked out for 4-5 years, than a new model with unknown quirks. New models are attractive for new "stuff", but the new stuff can lead to headaches. Any better deals out there ?
    It depends. Are you getting any rebates?

How much would YOU really rather pay for the XG350L ?

That quote is the dealer's "wish list" price. He really wishes someone will pay that much for one.

You won't know what he might take until after you make a lower offer and walk away from the table. If he does not follow you or call you back you'll have a good idea of a price he won't accept.

The XG350L is a really nice car if you get it cheap enough.
  • johnc8johnc8 Member Posts: 1
    Have them check the "drive-by wire". We had our 04 XG350 in the shop twice in the last two weeks for 4 days each. Service tech had trouble at first recreating the problem but finally did. First time they changed out a sensor that controls airflow to the injectors, but when we got the car back we again had trouble with acceleration. Second time, the service tech drove the car home each day and was able to experience the problem and then recreate it in the shop. Found out the "drive by wire" had a short in it. Car seems to be working fine now but we only got it back earlier today so I won't say for sure the problem is fixed, but it appears to be.
    Replying to: pat24 (Nov 06, 2005 7:50 pm)
    It has happened to me a few times.
    If it happens again, pump the accelerator pedal a few times rapidly to the floor.
    Mine started driving ok after doing that the last time.

UPDATE:
    It happened again yesterday. Was just starting out from overnight parking and car would not go over 5 mph. Pressed accelerator to floor, no response. Then I pumped it fast a couple times and it became normal again.
  • photonmanphotonman Member Posts: 2
    The dealers in the Chicago area are about $1600 less than what you were quoted in Sheboygan. :)
  • jeff62301jeff62301 Member Posts: 310
    totally new to this forum, i hang out at the jeep wrangler forum,

my parents have a 350, its having intermittent problems of not accelerating. From reading posts here it looks like its a commom problem. I've done searches and read as many posts as I could here.

Are there any dealerships that acknowledge a problem?

We'd love to have a contact for their dealer's service dept.

jeff

have you hugged your Jeep today?
  • aephyundaiaephyundai Member Posts: 7
    The XG350 has a fly-by wire which is an electronic acceleration, which will have a normal hesitation depending on how you press the accelerator pedal. It is different than other vehicles and takes some getting used to. There have been problems in the past and I believe there may have been a recall or something to correct the problem. I work for Van Horn Hyundai in Sheboygan, WI and have seen this problem come in a few times, If you call our service department someone there should be able to assist your parents or explain the issue. 920-457-3608. If for some reason your questions remain unanswered you may ask them for the number for tech support.
    Because birddogging is Illegal, I doubt that Hyundai would step in, but you may be able to report this to law enforcement. It is unfortunate that your friend chose an Endevour over the Santa Fe over $100.
    You may have a short in your fly-by-wire.
    When you put gas in your car do you always make sure that you tighten the fuel cap until it clicks at least 3 times? An orange/yellow check engine light indicates a problem in the emission system.
    Many dealers include incentives in their price quotes that many customers do not qualify for. Hyundai offers loyalty, military, competitive owner, college graduate, and financing rebates.
    I would suggest Nokian all-weather tires, because of their excellent handling. Have you checked whether there may be a reason other than the tires as to why they are wearing out so fast? Do they wear down evenly? Possible allignment issues? I would report this problem to Hyundai. Could be a possibility of a future recall if enough people report this issue.
    Sounds to me like you are bumping the shift lever into the manual shifting mode, this mode will automatically shift the car at very high RPMs (unbreakable system, which explains the 5 times in a row statement. Because the car has a fly-by wire or electronic acceleration, the pedal works differently than other vehicles, it takes some getting used to.