Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai XG300 and XG350

Comments

• big_guybig_guy Member Posts: 372
    The 3.5L V6 in the Sedona is a gas hog compared to the frugal 3.3L in the Chrysler vans or the 3.5L in the Odyssey. Maybe Hyundai was able to tweak the fuel economy in the XG350 as well as tweaking the HP and torque. If the XG only gets the same 15 City, and 20 Hwy, it may put itself an undesirable situation of being a gas hog as well.
  • har1bushhar1bush Member Posts: 207
    there is no way the XG350 will get 15/20 type mileage... If anything, the bigger engine should achieve similar mileage as the 3.0L. This is because the Sedona is probably a bit heavier, has a 4-speed auto, and is much less aerodynamic. So, the XG should do far better (maybe get 19/26 or so?)
  • csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    I think the Sedona has a 5 speed transmission. Other than that I agree completely that the XG350's mileage would be better.
  • dreamwinddreamwind Member Posts: 44
    Actually, the engine that is going to be used in the XG350 is from Hyundai's luxury SUV--Terracan. I believe Terracan's engine is related to the Sedona's, but Terracan has 240 pound feet of torque with 210 horsepower, not 195 (??) like the Sedona.
  • yk911yk911 Member Posts: 130
    the 3.5 engine is carried over from the 3.5 v6 version of the CENTENNIAL(EQQUS)

http://www.hyundai-motor.com/cybermall/showroom/passenger/equus/performance.html#

• har1bushhar1bush Member Posts: 207
    I dunno about the new engine having 240 lb ft of torque... I think I saw the Euro spec XGs with the 3.5L with about 220 lb ft (converted from SI units). I'd expect something like 200-210hp and 210-230 lb ft.
  • dreamwinddreamwind Member Posts: 44
    Title says above.

Maybe I was wrong? Heh, if I was, sorry for my booboo.
  • rswillisrswillis Member Posts: 4
    Are 2002 Sonatas available? I started out looking at 2001 Sonatas but I could not find one with the options I wanted. No one seemed sure about when the 2002 Sonatas would be out so I started considering getting an XG300.
  • rysterryster Member Posts: 571
    The 2002 Sonatas are available. The dealers in this area had them on the lots last week. Although I only saw them in passing, the exterior styling is much more expressive than the previous model...

Best of luck!
  • newxgnewxg Member Posts: 34
    This is an addition to my message #676 dated August 23rd. In that message I detailed some of my thinking about upgrading the factory stereo in my base XG300. I ended up getting a 45x4 (22x4rms) watt Alpine head unit driving the original factory speakers and a 250x1 (100x1rms) watt Alpine amp stored under the back seat and driving a 10” subwoofer in the trunk. My next step was to consider whether I needed an external amplifier for the main speakers and then finally replacing the factory speakers.

As a caveat, car stereo systems are very much a matter or personal taste. One person’s dream system might be another person’s expensive mistake. The XG300L has a better stereo than the base XG300. Both are better than the norm for factory systems if for no other reason than having front component speakers (see the Edmunds review of the L stereo). The factory stereo has the advantage of being designed specifically for the car and no doubt evaluated by audiophile experts who come up with a low cost but balanced solution.

My replacement system, described above, sounded better than the factory system, but seemed to be missing something. The subwoofer seemed to be an isolated thump in the back while the regular speakers seemed to be missing the kind of clarity or definition I was looking for unless I cranked up the volume. My new system, while consisting of high end parts, wasn’t very balanced. So of course I blamed the factory speakers.

So I started looking into new speakers and what I first found out is that good or even medium grade component speakers require lots of power. Usually more than the 45x4 (22x4 rms) that comes out of most 3rd party head units and definitely more than the 20x4 (10x4rms) or 30x4 (15x4rms) coming out of the factory head units. Note that in audio forums like www.sounddomain.com no one speaks in terms of the maximum power. That’s for the most part a marketing gimmick without much meaning unless you have serious mismatches in components. The more meaningful rating is continuous power or rms. Sorry to be the one to tell you that a factory stereo rated at 120 watts is really only putting out around 60 watts. It’s all part of the marketing con job and every manufacturer does it. Stick with rms when selecting components.

So realizing that I wouldn’t be able to get much better quality component speakers without adding an amplifier, I went ahead and swapped out my single channel Alpine MRV-100M amp ($200) for a 5 channel MRV-F357 amp ($450) that is rated at 30x4 rms + 100 rms. Actually the Alpine Amps tend to be underrated and a little card in the package told me that the factory tested it actually at 39x4 rms + 114 rms. Amps are very much a you get what you pay for proposition. The new amp was installed on the back of the rear seats, which can still fold down (which means that I won’t have to crawl around in the trunk if I decide to adjust the amplifier settings).

Anyway, the sound difference was significant. The subwoofer no longer sounded like an isolated thump in the trunk and the factory speakers all of a sudden found a mid-bass that they didn’t have before. Very nice. Very balanced. I started to hear details in the music without having to crank up the volume So it wasn’t the speakers after all. Now, I’m still going to replace the factory speakers, they’re still outclassed by the other components, but the simple addition of an external amp absolutely transformed the sound that I was getting.

So here are a few options for folks to think about when looking to upgrade, all are under $500. One of the things I’ve learned is to resist the usual temptation to just go out and get a new head unit and speakers. Getting an external amp can be a little intimidating in terms of the buzzwords, but it’s really pretty simple.

Option #1: Get a 4 channel external amplifier and use the existing factory head unit and speakers. You can get external amps with both speaker line inputs (to interface with the factory head unit) and RCA jack inputs (to interface with a future third party head unit) for under $300 installed. This seems to be the biggest bang for the buck. It’s not as spicy an option as getting a brand new head unit with all the bells and whistles but it’s the fastest path to better sound. Option #2: Get a smaller two channel amp ($200) and use it to drive a better pair of component speakers up front (Infinity Reference $180 for example) while continuing to drive the rear deck speakers from the head unit. This kind of approach generally appeals to stereo purists who are looking for a good stereo soundstage (drummer on the left, guitarist on the right, etc…) and don’t care as much about the surround sound effect. Option #3: Get a good 5 channel amp to drive both the main speakers and a future subwoofer.

Car stereos are very much like home stereos. Upgrades cause component mismatches which cause more upgrades. The main thing I’ve learned however is that having a good external amp at the heart of your system gives you a lot better sound as well as many more options for future upgrades.

Hope this is informative.

Joe
    Base XG300
    14,500 miles
  • mikewesqmikewesq Member Posts: 32
    One thing about my XG300 that bugs me is the way the steering feels at highway speeds. If I am in the left (fast) lane on a divided highway, I have to hold the steering wheel part-way to the right to keep the car on a straight track. If I am in the right-hand lane, I can keep the wheel at the neutral position without any apparent drifting. My dealer said that this is because of the camber built-in to the roadways. However, I don't recall having this kind of problem before with other cars. Perhaps this is a problem with front-wheel drive cars only?

I have tried adjusting the air pressure (from 30 psi to 35 psi) in the front tire to see if this made any difference. I still had to keep the wheel turned slightly to the right to keep going in a straight line while in the left lane. It may seem like a minor problem, but I do find that the driving position (holding the wheel canted to the right) is more fatiguing than having a car that stays straight on track, even in the passing lane.

Any suggestions or information that would help explain this phenomenon would be appreciated.
  • dst5dst5 Member Posts: 39
    I replaced my tires with good touring tires and the steering is not so sensitive to corrections and over corrections this may help your situation also. I used Yokahama Avid 215 65 15 @ 28 to 30 Psi front and 26 to 28 Psi Rear. This has a higher load rating and also gives a smoother ride. The car in my opinion handles even better than the factory tires.
  • acelinkacelink Member Posts: 106
    I just read a 2002 vehicle forecast couple days ago from one of many automotive sites out there (sorry, couldn't find that website again) and it said for 2002, XG300 becomes XG350 to reflect the increase in engine displacement from current 3.0-liter to 3.5-liter and this engine produces 200 hp (This engine also powers Kia Sedona and Hyundai Equus and both of them are matched with 5 speed automatic as well). That's only scant 8 hp improvement but as many people have said here already, Hyundai must tuned the larger engine for better mid-range torque.

Unfortunately, this 3.5-liter engine may not be available in Korea because it already costs around $60 to fill up the gas tank in Korea (talk about you people complaining about the rising gas price in US) of XG 3.0L (what they call XG300 in Korea, and L stands for luxury) and because the government of Korea likes to impose heavy taxation on the large displacement engines. However, Hyundai does offer more options available in the home market.

Among the most noticeable goodies missing in the US version of the car is HID headlights and Electronically Controlled Suspension (ECS).

HID is a big improvement over the standard headlights of XGs (low beams only) in terms of brightness and better sighting but it also gives off bluish tint that makes the car appear even cooler. There is a website offering the factory HID headlights in US but its asking price of 1,000+ dollars is absurd to me.

Several of you also wished for firmer suspension on XG. Well, this ECS option available in Korea has 2 mode - touring or sports. Touring is basically having ECS sports mode off, that is offering the passengers a normal plush, floaty ride. Sports mode on the other hand firms up shock absorbers as well as the steering wheel. This gives the car tighter handling radius as well as less roll, pitch and dives, and unlike other ECS from other makers you can definitely feel it working in XG.

Well, US buyers should at least bother Hyundai to have them available in as options since they aren't cheap nor free, but I believe they are really worth it.

Lastly, this is my guess but XGs in US may have gotten thicker glass than the Korean versions to offer US buyers better sound isolation. Hyundai has practiced this discriminating act with US version of Sonata. This doesn't make sense to me because domestic buyers are entitled to quite driving environment as well. Well, this is all I got to say for now. Enjoy driving your XGs!
  • stanman2stanman2 Member Posts: 9
    Thought that maybe someone could answer a few questions and maybe others could benefit from observations resulting from my test drive:

1. The car bottom out on a fairly smooth road. Felt like you were hit by the bottom of the seat.

2. No real seat height adjustment. Buttons just raise the front of seat but not the back. Could not get a real comfortable driving position. Even manual seats now have a knob adjustment that raises the whole seat.

3. Great looking car with new Alloy wheels and has 16 Mitchelin tires. $600 MSRP

4. Wind noise around doors/windows was not pronounced.

5. Good dealer experience in Dalton GA. No knowledge of $600 advertising fee.

6. Some delay in manual shift mode. Transmission reliability is a long term concern. (I keep car long time and drive about 7000 miles a year.)

7. Narrow choice of interior colors for number of exterior color choices. Off white only with black interior!
    8. Lot's and lot's of controls and switches. Reliability?

This sight seems to be showing some major problems at about 10-15k miles.
  • dbronzodbronzo Member Posts: 19
    My local dealer in New England has no news about the delivery of any 2002XG's. Not even literature. Anyone find any printed material or know when the 2002's will be available at dealerships?
  • riezriez Member Posts: 2,361
    From a visit this past weekend, my local dealer in midwest didn't have any 2002 brochures or printed info on any Hyundais. Dealer had some '02 Sonatas, both 4 and 6 cylinder, but no '02 XGs. Just some '01 XG300s, ones with 16 inch tires. (Stopped by to look at Subaru Outback sedan but was impressed by look and price of '02 Sonata and '01 XG300. Got me interested in reported XG350. Might take one for a spin for the heck of it when they arrive. But loaded AWD 3.0L Outback sedan likely more in line with my an my wife's desires.)
  • john115john115 Member Posts: 45
    I too was looking at the Outback sedan.In fact after leaving Subaru dealer,saw a 300XG,in front of Hyundai
    dealer.Stopped looked at,drove and bought,2 mos.
    later.The 300 has more room and offered more to me than the 4cyl Outback,especially since it dosen't snow
    in the desert.So I had no real need for all wheel drive.
  • newxgnewxg Member Posts: 34
    When the XG first was reviewed in Australia it got significant criticism for the very floaty limo like suspension settings. According to a earlier message here the North American models got their suspension settings stiffened. Am suprized that it bottomed out for you. I drive aggressively and have never had the problem except once when diving into a parking lot entrance. Might have something to do with the particular vehicle you drove. Apparently the shocks are variable getting softer at higher speeds.

My XG developed a wind noise leak at around 10,000 miles on the front passenger window. Am going in tomorrow for my 15,000 mile checkup and will have it repaired then.

I use the manual shift mode while in heavy rush hour traffic. I think the delay is a characteristic that is shared by other manumatic shifters. Earlier someone was mentioning the same delay in a Lincoln LS. Clearly the manual modes are not a substitute for the control offered by a true manual transmission.

As far as transmission reliability, we'll just have to wait and see. Just about every indicator shows that Hyundai quality has improved in it's latest generation of vehicles starting with the 1999 Sonata. I know one of the rental car companies uses Sonatas. At 7000 miles per year you'll be covered under warranty for 10 years on the transmission. I drive about 15,000 miles per year so I'm good for about 6.5 years. I'm just happy to be driving a vehicle that will be under full bumper to bumper warranty while I'm still paying for it:)

The L has more switches than my base but so far no problem with controls.

Base XG300 white
    14,750 miles
  • robw64robw64 Member Posts: 76
    I was surprised to read about the test drive of your XG300. I've had mine for about 1 month, and love it! I drive rather assertively (note that I don't admit to aggressively!), and have never bottomed-out in it. Also, try the seats again.....there are 2 control switches, the bottom one is rectangular and controls both height and the tilt of the seats. Lifting the front of the switch raises the front, lifting the back raises the rear of the seat. Pull the whole switch upward and the seat rises. Hope this helps you!
  • thepklthepkl Member Posts: 4
    since message number 70 something wishing and hoping that I too would one day drive home a brand new XG300. Today I did! I paid $21,326 and they financed it for 3 years at 2.9%. They would have come down a little lower on the car if I would have gone higher on the loan. I'm happy but I hope that I got a fairly decent deal.
  • fangio2fangio2 Member Posts: 214
    That price in line with the lowest price I've seen advertised.The lowest interest rate I've seen the Hyundai dealers around here(SC)advertise is 8.9%.Looks to me like you did alright.
    While i was taking off my summer tires (18") and putting on my original tires(15") for winter, i've noticed that the rear springs are Linear Springs and the front seems to be a Progressive "TYPE" springs.
  • thepklthepkl Member Posts: 4
    Thanks fangio2 it makes me feel better. I am still in love with my car. I have been driving a 17 year old General Motors truck so I keep thinking that my car must have quit because it is so quiet. I have one problem. I think those air bag labels on the visors are so ugly and I thought it was just paper so I got a hold of a corner and yanked. If I take it all the way off I think it is going to leave a mark. I don't know whether to glue it back on or finish the job.
    there is a pic in there of the new XG300 with 16" rims... along with other hyundai cars.

http://www.fxtreme.org/forums/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=22&t=000190
  • aniryuaniryu Member Posts: 61
    So Hyundai is already telling the American public that the Tiburon is coming! Woohoo! Nice ad!
  • asawasaw Member Posts: 54
    Bring it back to the dealer to balance your wheels. I think the same thing happened to my Toyota Camry. The dealer probably does not have the equipment to balance the wheel, so they would probably have to bring to an outside shop to do this.
    No automaker will give same rebate and financing on a old model as well as a new model.
  • fangio2fangio2 Member Posts: 214
    advertising 2001 XG's for a little over $22,000.It's the L model.
    When the XG first came out, a dealer here in Washington state wanted me to pay them about $27,000. They had two on the lot, and a Korean couple were trying to buy it.
    What is Hyundai doing nationally to promote the XG? Have they gone to 0 percent interest financing or something similar? Any rebates? Saw an ad for percent for up to 60 months on XG300, but not sure who is sponsoring.
    Host, isn't it time for you to change the name of this forum to "XG 350" from "XG 300"?
    Or know when they will come out?

My local dealer still doesn't have brochures. No '02s either. Just lots of '01 XG300s.

Wife and I dying to take one on a test drive. We want to drive an L version. She wants the extra luxury items, including the heated seats. I like the price, warranty, and looks. Add the bigger 3.5L engine to the existing 5-speed automatic with Shiftronic, and looks like an ever better value!!! Praying Hyundai will offer some cheap financing to move some metal! If I can get 0.0 percent or 0.9 percent for 48 or 60 months, guessing my wife and I couldn't afford to pass up on it. (Sure, I'd like a G35, IS300, 325i, etc. but not sure I want to spend near or over $30,000.)
    The XG in the United States is basically a stripper version of the real XG, sold in Korea.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    Not sure if this is a nationwide deal, but the deal you were looking for just showed up in my town. The Tallahassee, Florida Hyundai dealer is now offering 0% financing for up to 60 months on the XG300. I heard it on the radio and called for details, hoping I could get an Elantra, but it is only good for the XG300. Call your local dealer and see if they have something similar going on or, if you live close to Florida, the drive here would be worth the interest savings.
    The 0 percent financing option up to 60 months came out in newspaper ads about 2 1/2 weeks ago. Is just on XGs. But I can't tell when it expires or if it will possibly cover any XG350s. That is why I'm dying to know more about the deal and XG350 introduction.
  • chhatarpurchhatarpur Member Posts: 1
    More Bang for your Buck.
    Just bought XG300L In dallas area. So far like it. They are even giving 0% for 60 months. Do not hasitate to offer $3,000 to $3,500 less then the sticker price.
  • sobright1sobright1 Member Posts: 78
    I bought an XG300L in the spring and am a currently quite unhappy, though not just with the car. I have had little trouble over the past months but have had to replace the window weather stripping on both sides. The passenger side went smoothly but the drivers side has been a nightmare that has thus far caused me to make 5 trips to the dealer as they either order the wrong part (twice) or tear up the part installing it wrong. Should they ever fix the problem it will have taken no less than six dealer visits and they are unfortunately the only dealer in my area. However, these problems pale considering what happened recently.

On Thursday the 11th, despite my efforts at avoiding two dogs on a rain slick highway, I killed a black lab and lost control. I was traveling about 50 mph and the anti-lock brakes apparently did what they are designed to do in that I did not skid on the highway, then again neither did I stop. When I left the road I slid another 100 feet before striking a telephone pole severing it in half. I certainly do not blame my XG in any way for these events, however it is worth mentioning that this is a heavy car and when it does start to slide it is apt to slide a good ways. What was disappointing is that we struck the pole just to the left of dead center and NEITHER AIR BAG INFLATED. Though we were largely unhurt, what good are air bags if the do not work? I guess it is worth mentioning that a month or so earlier my air bag light came on and the dealer "reset" it. Unfortunately, Hyundai's response has not been reassuring either. When I told the dealer of my problem they referred me to Hyundai. When I called Hyundai and told them they actually asked me what I wanted them to do about it. They did finally tell me that they would investigate why my air bags did not inflate if I filled out forms that they would send me in the mail, then send them back - through the mail - to them. Instead of being thankful that I reported this potential safety problem they seemed rather complacent. This puts the car owner in a very bad position and will certainly prevent most people from asking for an investigation. Like most people I need my car back. Hyundai wants me to tell the body shop and insurance companies to wait until I get forms in the mail from Hyundai, fill them out, then send them back, then wait on their investigator to inspect the car before any repairs are made. All this would take weeks. When I do get it back I am going to trade the damn thing. It is not a bad car but the support from the dealer and Hyundai sucks. I'll never be able to trust the air bags on this car again.
  • acelinkacelink Member Posts: 106
    The only notable items missing in the US version of XG are: zenon headlights, rear seat heater, electronic controlled suspension (ECS), and a navigation system. Why? - To keep the price from approaching XG300's more luxurious, up-scale competitors in the US market. And bear in mind that these aren't standard equipments in Korea either. Hyundai cars are always value-driven in the US market, and XG is a no exception - I don't see how some people might call XG300, with its long list of standard equipments, a stripped version of XG sold in Korea.

On the other hand, US version comes standard with side airbags. Also, for 2002, XG300 will come standard with bigger 3.5-liter engine (hence the name change). However, this 3.5-liter engine won't be available in Korea even as an option because fuel is very expensive in Korea (about $60 per tank of gas). Which also might explain why XG is available with 2.5-liter V6 or even smaller 2.0-liter V6 with a 5-speed manual transmission in Korea.
  • misterjohnnymisterjohnny Member Posts: 41
    One thing I learned on another forum here is that airbags don't inflate based on impact but on inertia, much like your seatbelts. Of course, in order to have enough inertia change to cause the airbags to deploy you have to hit something. I don't know if your situation applies but it could be that the skid caused deceleration so that the impact from the airbags would be more violent than the impact from the collision. If you were largely unhurt, you were probably better off having the airbags not deploy.
    I had heard the same thing about the inertia and please know that I am not being smart with you but if you hit a telephone pole head on at perhaps 35 mph, severing it in half, you got to have some inertia going on. Financially I guess I am better off without the air bags deploying, however, can anyone honestly suggest that they would prefer that the air bags not go off in a 30+ mph crash? If this was not a malfunction of the system then it is a really screwed up system.

As an update to my situation. I stopped by the body shop today and they told me that Hyundai had called them and told them that they were sending someone out to inspect the car. This is a refreshing surprise after the indifferent attitude they seemed to display over the phone. I have no idea what convinced them to change their mind (assuming that they do send someone out), perhaps it was my phone call, perhaps it was the complaint I filed with the NTSB, or perhaps someone from Hyundai was reading this forum. I will keep everyone posted.
    Actually, I was referring to being physically better off if the airbags do not deploy. Airbags are a violent explosion. You can be seriously hurt or killed if you are improperly positioned when they deploy. I only want my airbags to go off if it will save my life, which is what they are designed to do. I don't know if yours were defective or not, but it could be that the crash, as serious as it was, was not violent enough to warrant the deployment of the airbags. I am interested in hearing what Hyundai has to say.
  • vmaturovmaturo Member Posts: 71
    A few years ago a friend was in a very serious accident with his Honda Prelude where he was injured badly. The airbags never deployed. He has a lawsuit pending with Honda.
    Anyone wire lights into these non functioning units (non functioning in USA anyway) What style bulbs go in there anybody know?

If you do let me know
  • dvdphiledvdphile Member Posts: 11
    The driving lights in the lower front bumper come on only when the ring switch (next to headlight ring switch) is on and when the headlights are on low beam ONLY. The driving lights will go off in high beam or when the headlights are turned off.
    Does every body else have active driving lamps?

There is no listing for those bulbs in hi performance after market sites.

H1 hi beam
    H7 low beam
    H3 Fog lamps
    But no listing for drivers lamps.
    I just bought a Honda Odyssey minivan this weekend, and I read the booklet on airbags (front and side). It said that when a car (or van) hits a pole in the center of the hood, it is likely that the airbag will not deploy. This is because the force of the crash is absorbed by the body of the car. If the pole hits off center, near the side of the frame, the airbag will more likely go off. I don't know if that is why the airbag didn't deploy in the case mentioned above, but I thought it was interesting. Learn something new every day.
    The pole was indeed hit toward the center of the car but was at least one foot toward the drivers side of the vehicle. While I continue to maintain that the air bag should have deployed, I will at least admit that the Hyundai did take a pretty good hit yet maintain most of its integrity. The bill came in Friday at just over $9000. The bumper, grillwork and hood were completely destroyed and, though they were no longer connected to anything, the headlight enclosures on both sides were not even broken. The windshield was destroyed by my head but otherwise the interior was unaffected.

Also, to follow up, Hyundai called the body shop and put the repairs on hold until they could get someone by to inspect the car. I would give them credit in that they sent an independent engineer out to study the car within two days of their call preventing further delays in the repairs. The engineer wrapped up his study one week ago tomorrow and I await information from Hyundai.
    They have been very responsive.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    Let me guess, you weren't wearing your seatbelt? I gathered this from your head damaging the windshield. If that's the case, you would not have wanted the airbag to go off in the first place. It would have done some major harm to you without a seatbelt holding you in place. There is a slim chance that the airbags were designed to not deploy if no seatbelts are worn. Not sure if Hyundai does this but I do know a few manufacturers have begun to implement that, at least on the passenger side.
  • ACCENTACCENT Member Posts: 10
    Just wanted to let everyone know that the XG350 brochures are in, at least here in Pennsylvania. Picked up one yesterday. The dealer told me they should be arriving any day now. The only things that I see that have changed is that, if you want a moonroof you have to get the XG350L, and the base model now comes with the CD/CASS player.
    It comes with a 3.5L with 194hp @ 5500 rpm and 216 lb-ft @ 3500.