Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Saab 9-5 Sedan

Comments

• tomjonesrockstomjonesrocks Member Posts: 8
    I was researching these cars after reading the recent R&T article that ranked the 9-5 aero 4th overall in the sedan competition--and learned that the used ones can be had in the mid 20s. Are these good deals or is there a reason the depreciation seems on the steep side? Overall I've seen mixed opinions on this car--can anyone offer advice? Thanks.
  • shazbatshazbat Member Posts: 3
    There are significant differences between the 2000 Aero and 2002: suspension, front subframe, 250hp vs 230hp(2000), 5spd auto vs 4spd(2000), and the gas mileage on the new ones is slightly higher.

Having not driven a 2000 myself I can't speak as to what those differences mean in the real world, but the 2002 is a _very_ nice drive. You could search www.saabnet.com's forums for info on the 2000 and people's experiences.
  • manamalmanamal Member Posts: 426
    I know some dealers (internation SAAB in falls church va, for example) have (had) leftover '01 Aero's for just under 30K.
  • tomekktomekk Member Posts: 310
    Is this a good deal on Aero (manual, no package) wagon lease (36 months, 15K miles/year):

1. down: $4K, $418/mo net, $439.01 w/taxes
    or
    2. down: $5K, $390/mo net, $418.00 w/taxes

That's in Boston, MA.

Thanks,
    Tomek
  • mbartombarto Member Posts: 24
    Let's see.

#1. $4000 down divided by 36 months = $111.11 added to $439.01 per month = total of $550.12

#2. $5000 down divided by 36 months = $138.89 added to $418.00 per month = total of $556.89

If the residual is the same on both, #1 seems like a no-brainer. Why would anyone go for option 2? Not only are you putting down an extra $1000 for the down payment on option 2, you have $6.77 extra per month payment ($243.72 after 36 months). Go with #1 - put the extra $1000 away in savings collecting interest, and use the extra $6.77 to treat yourself to a dog and beer at your monthly Boston sporting events.

Enjoy your Aero!

..Mark
    Mark,

sure #1 is better... but is it good enough to go for it? I've seen 95 Aero lease - 36 mos, 10K miles/year - advertised for 3400 down and 349/month. So, I'm getting the 5K miles/year more about $0.205 / mile. I'm interested in comapring this deal to what others are getting.

Thanks,
    Tomek

P.S. A dog and a beer...? sounds like attending sporting event devised solely for selling hugely overpriced snacks and refreshments, AKA baseball. Honestly speaking, after close to 12 years in this country I still don't know what this game is about - other than the dogs and beer (yes, I've been to Fenway once!)
  • mbartombarto Member Posts: 24
    Sorry, I misinterpreted your original question. I didn't know that you was comparing those two to other deals. But if you need the extra mileage....

When you compare the cost ratio of the two 10k/15k mileage to the total lease price of each, they seem close (within a few dollars). I believe I've read on the forums that some people have done better. Since I'm not really in the market to lease/buy a new vehicle yet, I haven't been keeping up with the latest leasing deals out there.

Someone will probably chime in here and will give you their opinions. Post this same question, over on the 9-3 thread, even though you are looking at a 9-5. Another good forum is the www.Saabnet.com. Post it there and you will definately get an answer quickly.

P.S. The dog and the beer was just an example for what you can do with the extra money, whether it would be for a Bo-Sox, Bruins, or Celtic event. Or if you are not into sports, use it to buy your favorite refreshment at the next symphony, theater, or movie.

Cheers!
    Mark
  • rghesselrghessel Member Posts: 122
    I couldn't find if this was addressed previously,
    but does anyone know what changes, even if minor, are in store for the 2003 9-5s?

The Saab 9-5 is in the list of cars I am considerning, and the dealer I've spoken to (or at least the salesman there) is an idiot.
  • myfrymyfry Member Posts: 1
    Any suggestions on new tires for a 9-5 SE in Michigan.
  • edisaacedisaac Member Posts: 15
    What are some of the deals (on a purchase) people are getting out there for a 9-5 Linear or Aero?
    Are there any plans for a Navigation system becoming available for the 9-5?
  • newsaabguy1newsaabguy1 Member Posts: 4
    1. It appears the Sentronic transmission, introduced on the '03 9-3 will be offered on the 9-5 as well. The options lists/specs don't mention anything about XM radio or nav systems on the '03 9-5 so I wouldn't count on that until the next redesign.
    2. Given the extensive, though not very visible revisions on the '02 9-5 line, I would expect another change in '05.
    3. Saab models used to be called 900 and 9000. When the 9000 hatchback was dropped in '99 the name was changed to 9-5, and the 900 was changed to the 9-3 at about the same time. For more info on the history of the names and the cars, check out saabusa.com or the model history page on edmunds.com.
    4. Given the relatively small size of the company I would be surprised if major changes are made to the 9-5 prior to the next redesign. XM radio might be an exception, but don't look for substantial changes to the architecture of the car systems (dash/suspension, etc).
    5. I've owned an '02 9-5 Linear 5sp manual since 02-28-02. 12k miles on it now and no real problems. The sunroof makes a single click when closing so the dealer went ahead and ordered a new deflector guide; they'll install at my next service. I absolutely LOVE this car. I'm having the oil changed/tires rotated every 5k miles, even though the manual recommends 10k. I guess I'm stuck in the old days and can't believe 10k intervals (even w/synthetic oil) are good for the car long-term. A good friend owned a '99 9-5 SE and did have some ongoing ABS brake sensor and electrical problems--nothing major but the pattern/persistence didn't make him comfortable with buying the car back after the lease ran out.
    6. I bought mine thru the GM employee plan.
    7. Crossing my fingers with you on the long-term reliability
    8.The dash cupholder is fine--the other one stinks. (I removed it from the console and put it in the trunk.)
    9. No problems with torque steer. I never drove the Aero, though.
  • wpialum81wpialum81 Member Posts: 2
    I have a '99 9-5 SE with 65K miles. I recently replaced the original Michelins (MXV4's) with an identical set and had the wheels balanced. After driving it for a few days, I noticed there was vibration coming from the front end. My first thought was that one of the tires was out of round. I brought the car back in, had them redo the high speed balance, check for roundness, rotate the tires front to back and the problem persists in the front (I think this eliminates my theory on roundness, bent rims and faulty high speed balance).

I brought the car to a local Saab mechanic and he said he thought the wheel bearings may be shot. I checked with the dealer and they said they've never had a 9-5 back for bearings and said bad bearings would be making a loud screeching sound. The dealer suggested a front end alignment should take care of it (which I haven't had done since getting the car (am I bad or what!))

Bottom line, there is a repetitive thud that is noticeable at all speeds (sounds like the thud occurs with each revolution of the tire). I don't want to have the bearings changed (quoted $400) and find it doesn't make a difference.

The noise is concentrated in the driver front side. Any thoughts?
    I had a bearing go bad in my Passat GLX at 56K miles... it started as slight whine, ended up sounding like a high-speed drill or small jet engine :-)
    About 10 years ago I had a problem with left fron tire, that was making thumping noise with each revolution. It was a bubble on the inside wall, I had it replaced.
    One more thing: Can you hear this sound when the car is jacked up in the air and front wheels spun by hand? - if yes, then it is definitely not a tire...
    Hope this helps,
    Tomek
  • bmwjoebmwjoe Member Posts: 136
    Perhaps they warped your disk when they changed the tires? Just a thought.

Drive safe,

Joe
  • theremintheremin Member Posts: 26
    I'm very close to making a decision on a new car (lease) and have narrowed it down to the 9-5 Aero and the Audi A6 2.7T. I've test driven several Aeros and there's alot to like about the car--if anyone out there has driven an '02 Aero for any length of time, I have a few questions:

--Is the torque steer an issue for you? Sometimes on test drives it hasn't felt bad at all, other times I've had to consciously work to fight it. Do you just get used to it? Does it feel any different accelerating into turns as opposed to straightaways?

--Is road noise an issue? It has seemed to me that the 9-5 isn't the quietest car around...I realize the Aero's 17" tires are going to be a little noisier than the smaller ones...just wondering if the noise level at highway speeds bothers anyone? Or rattles, squeeks etc?

--How's the general reliability? Any significant issues with the engine, brakes, electrical, alignment etc?

Thanks for any input.
    Michael
  • manamalmanamal Member Posts: 426
    I have never dirven an aero, but I read the 9-5 bb at www.saabnet.com.

There were some minor initial quality issues with some cars. However, it seems that the engine is bullet proof. I have not heard of any engine probs or tranny probs.

I have not heard much about tourque steer.

Check out SAABNET.

Also, I have heard bad things about blown turbo's with audi's 2.7T.

SAAB's HTP turbo seems good. (There may be some issues with the 2.3l lpt).

(HPT=High pressure turbo, ltp=low pressure turbo)
  • popplepopple Member Posts: 2
    I just picked up a 9-5 ARC about three weeks ago. Just about 1100 miles now and it has failed twice....once going along about 75 on major interstate, the other going along about 25 on local road. Seems to be no logic to it, ie hot or cold engine. Just dead!!! Started right back up in both cases and got no check engine lights. But has impacted trust in car. Owned many other "premium" brands and never this kind of kink. Taking to dealer on Fri. Do you think I should push for the DI to be replaced? Otherwise, like other posts I have seen here and elsewhere, I love the car.

Comments please.
  • edisaacedisaac Member Posts: 15
    After much research I finally picked up my sports-(please don't call it a "station") wagon. Thanks to this board I think I was pretty well informed when I went to the dealer, which I might add was one of the nicest dealerships I've been to. No pressure, relaxed atmosphere, and people who actually loved the product. Besides the ride I like the fact that I hardly see many Saabs on the road. Still trying to figure out the little nuances of the SID (advice welcomed!), also would like to know if there is a website where I can purchase accessories. Thanks again.
  • phkckphkck Member Posts: 185
    is at least a very good start in finding accessories.
  • aronlaronl Member Posts: 1
    notwithstanding some small electrical problems a slight oil leak which I accept as teething problems ,and a handsfree phone saab harness that no one seems to know what to do with(dealer included) in my area now that it is installed!,I am extremely satisfied with my 2001 9-5 linear wagon after 25000kms. Aside that is from an absolutely awful drivers seat that has become impossible to feel comfortable in in 105kms to work. I have read in your columns others ideas to their same problem, sitting a certain way , posture seat cushions etc. all of which is creative if not ideal. The truth is the seats are simply TERRIBLE they dont belong in a car of this price range. Things were passable at first hence the purchase,but now after such little mileage the foam has softened and there is insufficient thigh/knee support the lumbar adjustment is altogether insufficient the leather is slippery which compounds the lack of lateral lumbar support. WHAT to do? I have just spent a wonderful weekend ina 2002 Aero with NO seat discomfort in 700KMS. A trade-in which was tempting would be indulgently expensive, I priced today one 2002 Aero seat installation at a minimal 6000 plus 15% tax in canadian dollars in the Toronto dealer area. Any practical suggestions?? I,d really like to keep the car , and probably buy a Saab all over again.
  • wishnhigh1wishnhigh1 Member Posts: 363
    If I were you, I would check into some aftermarket seats. Recaro makes absolutely excellent seats...they dont have lots of features, and they arent full luxury connoly leather(typically cloth)...but they are comfortable over long distances.
  • heinz1245heinz1245 Member Posts: 1
    I had the same problem, and it had to do with the onboard computer that controls the automatic transmission, which the dealer replaced
  • popplepopple Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for advice on this. Did yours happen under warranty as well and was in an 02 or earlier model?
  • dskidski Member Posts: 414
    In response to aronl's comments on the 9-5 Seats. I agree that they could be better but I'd hardly say that they're "Terrible". I guess everyone is different. I've even read reviews that claimed they are some of the best. I definately don't agree with that either. The Aero seats are more appropriate for this Class of car I'd agree. We've had a '98 9-5 and now the '02 with the same seats. I would like to have seen them improved but the issue was not enough to keep me from buying again.

As far as the Recaro Aftermarket Option that "Wishnhigh".. mentioned: Those are as good as you will find but I have to correct him on a couple of things.. Recaro's are most definately available with High Grade Leather and with many other Features typical with Luxury Seating. When I shopped them for another vehicle, I seem to recall that they will even match the OEM leather or fabric of a vehilce to match the rear seats but I can't swear to that one. I know there was a supplier who offered that.

Don't expect to find any cheap deals but I'm willing to bet that even the more luxurious seats available from Recaro with numerous power options will be cheaper than the Aero Seats from Saab with standard power features. Purchasing a complete Seat from a manufacturer is OUTRAGOUSLY expensive no matter what seat or what manufacturer. I remember the old Aero Seats from the 9000 were $3,000US each if you were to order as a part from the Dealer. Those old Aero seats were awesome and as good or better than any Recaro I've tested. What gives Saab? Why don't you have something that Good anymore? GM maybe?

Good Luck
    Drew

PS. My experience with Recaro was from shopping them a few years ago. Things may have changed in their product offering now of course.
    Wishnhigh made comment about "Connelly Leather".. I'm not sure if Saab uses this supplier or not. Connelly hides are found in such Premium makes as Rolls Royce and they do offer the best quality to be found. If Saab uses this supplier, you can bet they are not buying anything close to the Grades used by Rolls Royce.

On a Sad note.. I understand that Connelly Leather Company has been in very serious financial trouble recently. The last article I read about them mentioned a Bankrupcy but I'm not sure if that has happened yet or not. Lets hope not.

Drew
  • wishnhigh1wishnhigh1 Member Posts: 363
    actually, I was just kidding with the connoly leather comment. I have ridden in many cars with Recaro seats, and all of them were comfortable, but none of them were luxurious in any way...just standard seating with impeccable ergonomics.

It actually suprised me to see that they do offer more luxurious seats...Im curious to check that out.

Have you ever priced Recaro lux seating with OEM leather?
    It has been several years since I've shopped them. I was interested in purchasing a Calloway tuned and bodied Z-28 and it was in despirate need of a suitable set to match the Extreme performance and new exotic body.

At that time they had options for Leather, cloth and various Power Adjustments. I'm not sure if heating was an option or not. Of course a basic seat was also available which wasn't cheap but certainly comfortable. I'm sure a seach on Recaro would find the information. I beleive they are mostly sold direct which is fine accept installation could become a problem.

Drew
  • stretch1969stretch1969 Member Posts: 1
    Due to the unavoidable realities of Washington, D.C. parking and driving, and, just once, to a moment of personal distraction under the influence of a short skirt on a hot day, my silver 2001 9-5 is starting to exhibit a fair gallery of scrapes and tears on the front and rear bumpers. Any ideas on the best way to patch or mask these? Thanks all.
    Does anyone know if Saab will be adding Navigation as an option to the 9-5 for 2003 (or 2004)? The folks on the web site only respond with "OnStar is currently available."

Supposedly for 2004 Navigation will be available on the new 9-3 (it won't be available in the 2003 models. Damn...)
  • scottymonscottymon Member Posts: 1
    I am considering buying the above - wondering if this group will help me out - I test drove a 6-cyl automatic - what a great car; is the 4 with a manual a good choice too?

And what reliability issues have you encountered?

Thanks
  • bretfrazbretfraz Member Posts: 2,021
    There has been a lot of talk about this in here and over at http://www.saabnet.com so I suggest you spend some time looking thru old posts and learning. There's much to know.

Cliff Notes: The 4 cyl has had a few probs with the turbos but that seems to be all. The V6 is even less problematic; I've never read a post anywhere complaining of a major problem with that engine.

Saab's QC has improved significantly since '99 and the reliability of the newer cars bear that out.

I think the 4 with a manual is probably the best Saab you can buy.

Drew
  • jgraveljgravel Member Posts: 54
    Hello all,

I have a '99 9-5, which I purchased new. The car is great with one exception. I seem to blow a low beam headlight every 3-6 months. Both sides blew of this week which has prompted my inquiry to the board.

Have others experienced this? I know it's been 3 years and why should I get concerned now but...these are $15 ea to replace.

Thanks,

Jay
  • jjanthonyjjanthony Member Posts: 1
    Does Saab have a certified used car program like M-B, BMW, etc.

If so, any details?

Thanks in advance!

-J
    I had a '99 and now 2001. I didn't really have any headlight problems as you described but I have heard of others who have. In 39 months I replaced 3 bulbs.

One thing that some seem to believe is that the Daytime running light feature causes short bulb life. I don't know if thats true but you could disable the DRL's by pulling the fuse. It's described in your owners manuel as an option since they are not mandatory in the us.

As far as the replacement cost, Many people don't realize that the headlamp bulbs are covered under warranty. You may be out of warranty by now but mine were always covered. I didn't realize it until I had the car for a awhile and went to purchase a replacement. After I got the bulb the service manager noticed and said to me they are a warranty item. Intead of issuing a credit to me, I just told him to give me a second one for back up at no charge which he did.

Good Luck
    Drew
  • jgraveljgravel Member Posts: 54
    Thanks for the response Drew. Boy, this board has sure gotten quite since my last visit. What happened to all the Saab enthusiasts?
  • bretfrazbretfraz Member Posts: 2,021
    To Saabnet.
  • nelsoncmnelsoncm Member Posts: 103
    I just got my 2002 Arc wagon and I'm noticing I get a nice little ache in my neck and upper back while driving. Didn't get it in the 2 test drives I took. I'm petite (5ft 2in). Does the slightly forward angle of the headrest just take getting used to? My last car (a Merc Sable wagon) had huge seats that offered no head/neck support for my little frame. Now I've got head/neck support like crazy, but it kinda hurts! Any feedback on just the headrests would be appreciated.
    Try reclining the seat back a little more. I notice that smaller people, my wife included, tend to have the seat back in a very upright position. I can't imagine how they do that without back discomfort.

If you need the seat back way forward to enable a comfortable reach for the Wheel, try moving the whole seat forward a bit to shorten the reach then recline the seat back a little more. It may take some work but I'll bet you will find a comfortable position eventually.

Good Luck
    Drew
  • besquenabesquena Member Posts: 1
    Hello All,

I have been admiring Saabs for a long time and am almost ready to take the plunge.

Looking at buying either a used '99 or '00.

Any ideas if there is a difference, and any recommendations?

Thanks!
  • ajaymeajayme Member Posts: 74
    For first hand help try: http://www.saabnet.com/tsn/bb/9-5/

Great bunch of folks with good Saab knowledge-good luck.

• bszetobszeto Member Posts: 24
    Hi, I'm just wondering about the reliability of 1999 9-5 SE's with V6. I saw a very good deal - $27K (Canadian, taxes included) for a 9-5 SE V6 with only 52,000 km. Any major problems to be aware of?

Bernard
    I'm planning on getting a 2003 9-3 (waiting for the Arc next spring). Unfortunately, where I live in Chicago the only dealer that is remotely convenient to me is Perillo. Perillo has a lousy reputation (amongst my friends anyway) for customer service. Moreover, their Saab "dealership" is crammed into their Lincoln showroom, in a building that looks like it should be demolished.

My question: is warranty service for Saab only available at dealerships? Just curious if I'm obligated to bring the car to the dealer for warranty work (not to mention the free oil changes for the first 36 months...)

Thanks!
  • dealmkrjjddealmkrjjd Member Posts: 32
    I live in Chicago and use the Saab Exchange in Highland park, which I think just moved to Lake bluff. I can not say enough about there service. They reat you right and are always very nice. Closest to a Lexus dealer & well worth the 30 min ride from Chicago.

I shopped at Perillo for the saab new and the salesman did not even want to get up from his desk to do a test drive. After dealing with Perillo on my BMW service, that by the way was horrible, I decided to buy from the Saab exchange. I bought a 2002 9-3 loaded car for $800 over invoice with absolutely no hassles and Like I said earlier the service is top notch! I would not even think about going back to Perillo. Hope this helps.
    Thanks for the advice. I've heard many people laud the Saab Exchange. At a minimum, I think I'll eventually buy the car there. Unfortunately, I live on the north side of the city (Edgewater) and work on the South side (Oak Lawn), so having to drive 30 miles north makes taking it up there for service is almost impossible...
  • rob999rob999 Member Posts: 233
    If you work in the far South suburbs of Chicago, maybe check out Flikkema (Lansing??). I have not worked with them directly but I have heard good things about them.
  • pearson244pearson244 Member Posts: 16
    Have a 2001 with 35K, 4 Dr. 9.5 SE.

Yes, Saab has certified plan, same as BMW with 6 yr. and 75 (or 100) from in service date. Changed it effective 2002 models to match BMW, Audi and Merc., V-6 engine is very reliable, have not heard of any problems except noisy power steering gear. Re: 1999 vs. 2000 V6, unchanged, some changes in 2002 Model.

Have driven both 170 and 185 HP (believe those are correct but could be off) smaller turbos and newer (2001) version much sweeter engine.
  • dlbensondlbenson Member Posts: 13
    I need to replace 2 of my Michelin MXV4's. I only have 7 months to the end
    of my lease and I would appreciate more economical alternatives to mix with
    the 2 almost new remaining MXV4's. Any ideas would be appreciated.
  • funkyattyfunkyatty Member Posts: 3
    I am interested to learn what people are paying for 03 9-5 Aeros (wagon or sedan) with touring package. I have a 2000 9-5 SE and considering the Aero among other cars.