Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Saab 9-5 Sedan

Comments

• tricitysamtricitysam Member Posts: 9
    I am always amazed by those who experience what are essentially nickel & dime issues, and find it unacceptable. If you own a car for 3 years, and have to "garage" it 4 times because a bulb is burned out; or an oil leak; or break pads (20K isn't necessarily unusual, depending on what type of driving you do); or an interior light goes out - I'm not sure thats the end of the world. The fellow who has the '99 probably has a legitimate complaint - many cars in the 1st model year (regardless of manufacturer) experience above average quality issues.

I've owned many kinds of cars: Olds, Pontiac, Honda, Toyota, VW, Ford (the Explorer was the one I couldn't wait to ditch), Chrysler and Saab. All have required some level of repair and most other brands (you can fill a book on Acura complaints) as well.

I CAN SAY THIS ABOUT SAAB: They have by far the BEST warranty, HANDS DOWN, I've ever experienced. It's never cost me a cent and they always provide a loaner or rental car at their cost. No hassle - unlike any other brand I've ever had: I had an air bag sensor not working properly and called the dealer. I live 150 miles away, and explained it would be a couple of weeks before I could get in. The dealership SENT A TRUCK, a rental car and hauled it in to be fixed. No charge, no hassle. Amazing.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    check out the vw threads; $80 for wipers! even my ford dealer is 20+.
    re: saab reliability, we have had our share of annoyances during our 2.5+ years of ownership; fluid leaks, headlight bulbs, sid, heated rear seats, m/a sensor, but it hasn't been our most troublesome. dealer service has been below par, at times, but we always got a 9-5 loaner. never had a vehicle without any issues.
    facing the buy/turn in next spring.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • starrinstarrin Member Posts: 10
    When people find it okay to go to the dealership on a repeatable basis --- I guess being a business owner I do not have the time that some have at their expense. After looking at my records I fogot, I had a sensor problem -- that makes it 5 trips to the dealership within 28,000 miles. Yeah, I get the loaner car and yes they are courteous -- but you know what -- I should NOT be there 5 times in 2 years. Once you throw in oil changes I am averaging probably somewhere in area of 60-100 hours of inconvenience for a 40k car -- I am sorry but this is unacceptable to me. You may not seem to think this is a problem -- but all my friends think that it is (so I know my wife and I are not crazy). I ended up talking to a neighbor today who has a 95 -- mostly due to thinking about my post here -- guess what.... same experience as me! He cannot wait to get rid of it either. He was the guy who talked another neighbor out of buying one.

All I know is this -- my wife and I have owned over 6 cars together (9 counting company cars) -- we have never done anything but routine maintenance to ANY of them. We lease a Saab 95 and we are taking it to the dealership once every 3 months PLUS the routine maintenance (not acceptable). My issues may seem "nickel and dime" to some -- but my time is extremely valuable as I am a father and a business owner. I do not subject my wife to sitting around in a dirty service department waiting to hear her name called on a loud speaker. Not trying to start any arguments -- but the idea that these "nickel and dime" occurrences should just be considered a fact of life is absurd. Hey, I wish you all the luck in the world on your Saab -- and when you have to get your car tuned up, I would love to compare the cost to a Japanese vehicle. Oh yeah, I guess that will be coming soon as the manual states you need an official tune-up at 60k while Lexus, Acura, Infiniti, say you need to do it at 100k (only mention these brands at I know this for sure on this manufacturer) -- so I guess this make the TCO significantly less. So it would appear that the argument of these "nickel and dime" issues goes out the window when you take into account TCO.

I do not know how it is at other dealerships -- but when I want a loaner car they have an Enterprise Rental Service booth at the dealership. So when I bring in the car -- guess what, I get in-line and wait like all the other Saab owners. On one occassion it took 90 minutes to drop off the car, explain what is wrong, and then go through the Enterprise paperwork to actually get a loaner! Sorry I do not have this type of time on my hands. Also, I do not want to deal with learning about which bulbs to buy extra -- in case a bulb goes out again. This car is literally a laughing joke within my family -- and apparently down the street at one of my neighbors house.

Oh yeah -- a 4 year/50k limited warranty is actually the worst in its class -- I encourage you to go look for yourself. For instance, Lexus is a 4 year/60k limited warranty.

My wife and I could not be happier to be picking up our next car within the week.

Good Luck and I hope all you have much better luck than my family. But I have to say -- I chuckle when I hear someone complain about the cost associated with their vehicle and then in the same sentence brag about the car:-)
    seems like a bad dealership experience compounded what should be minor issues. if i have a headlight go out, i drive into the dealership, they have a tech come over, replace both bulbs, no questions asked. out in 5 minutes, no paperwork. hasn't happened in quite a while, though.
  • ffb13ffb13 Member Posts: 181
    i too own a saab. a 9.5 aero 2000 which i got new in december 1999 ,and have been to the dealer many times.
    4 new computers,a new cooling fan that left me stranded in d.c. on my way to ct from fla.
    and many other so called nickel and dime issues.
    like blonw bulbs,locked out shifting gear,plug a/c water drains dropping a gallon of water under the front seats,and other such minor stuff,
    including 4 blown tires 17 inchers.

anyhow i want to correct your statement about the lexus warranty...it is 70,000 miles on the power train as is infinity....

i am now shopping for a new car and have driven the new vw phaeton,mb500,lexus 430,bmw530, and every time a get off one of them and back on the saab,i am happy that i own the saab.....

(except for diving the new 530----this is a car ,period.nothing out there matches the fun this car gives. it is a 4 passanger sports car.and the new active steering is great. but...reliability ??????? )

so, the reason i still like the saab,check out the reliability on mb ,bmw an vw........and the prices being paid for those cars.

the lexus appears to be my next car but i am keeping the saab.....it is fun to drive......

but,you know why i take this atitude........
    it is because i have owned a number of jaguars before,and as a jaguar owner who kept going back ,i must be a car masochist .

and i see the same thing with saab.......it is a sweedish jaguar........
    in jaguar it is my opinion ,prior to ford,,,,,5 out of 7 were lemons..

after ford,maybe 4 out of 7.

and with saab ,i think we are going down the same route.

but,it is so much fun.......

by the way,one car that i drove twice already and it is an incredible car with the finest sound system --dvd--out there and a great navigation system ,a great ride,firm and secure and very sporty, the new acura tl.
    ut not enough room inside since it is a repackaged
    honda accord---but,super reliable.
  • dskidski Member Posts: 414
    What I "find amazing" is that you seem to be spending about as much time going on here as you do having the Saab serviced. ;)

I'm sorry for your experience. It happens sometimes. I have a Honda that's 6 months old and so far it's had more "issues" than our previous 3 Saabs combined. I know your frustration. I NEVER expected that from Honda but I absolutely realize that even Honda has a bad apple on occasion. Fortunately mine are mostly annoyance issues and not Mechanical so far.

Good Luck with the Lexus. I'm sure you'll be very happy.
    Drew
  • blockislandguyblockislandguy Member Posts: 336
    Starrin, wow. I would hate to see how you reacted to a real problem with a purchase of a manufactured good. A quick reading of your posts turns up a couple of inconsistencies and not a little arrogance. For an example of an inconsistency, Post #2 talks about "yeh, I get the loaner car" in paragraph #1 and then in paragraph #3 complains NOT getting a loaner and standing in a rental car line for 90 minutes. Sitting around dirty service departments? This is impossible to believe. The manufacturers have very high standards and I've yet to see a dirty service waiting room in an imported car dealership in recent years. Most car dealerships wash and polish their floors with Tenant Floor machines every night. Most dealerships are cleaner than any restaurant or caterer you will ever be in. In any case, get the loaner and go!

Arrogance? Most people who pop for a new Saab are , as the Census Bureau would say, Managers, Professionals or Others. Not a few are business owners. I've never ever heard someone lump routine maintenance (i.e, oil changes) into why owning a particular car model was such a burden. Count yourself lucky that you aren't a teacher, cop, nurse, fireman, etc. whose hours are not as flexible as a busines owner and so routine maintenance like an oil change must be a hassle. But a hassle which anyone can minimize: drive the car to a JiffyLube in your jogging gear and run for 40 minutes while the underclass works on the business owners car.

Come on. Enjoy life. You apparently have done well in this world. You got to drive a Saab for a couple of years which in itself isn't a bad thing. You didn't like the ownership experience, so move on.
  • buddhabmanbuddhabman Member Posts: 252
    Unfortunatley for some, the older Saab models particularly those of pre 2000 had many reliability problems. Though according to Consumer Reports, reliability has improved signifiacnlty since the 2001 model year. Our 2003 Aero Wagon has been buzz, rattle, glitch, and bug free, thank goodness. Besides with OnStar Roadside assistance and diagnotics, I am not overly worried.
  • ffb13ffb13 Member Posts: 181
    just back from the dealer to fix a power steering leak about which i have been complaining for 12 months and no one could find the exit place.

well ,my dealer ,went all the way for me . he inspected every nook and cranny including the steering rack bellows......too make the story short.....he found out from saab that all 2000 9.5 utilize a cover for the fluid that has a tiny hole in it.
    according to saab ,the liquid vaporizes and travels out of this hole thus,the low fluid levels at times.........

my car is going on 70,000 miles now .

because i am going into another car ,not a saab, i plan to kep the saab ,and maybe put less miles per year on it.will keep it for winter travel mostly.
    it is still a lot of fun
  • teecheeteechee Member Posts: 5
    In April of 2003, I purchased my 2003 Aero. Except for a check engine light problem that was corrected, the car has been problem free, and lovely. Fifteen thousand miles, lightening fast,roomy, and luxurious. The Aero is awesome and unique.
  • bostnwhalrbostnwhalr Member Posts: 128
    Ditto to Starrin. My wife and I had a 99' 9-3. Great car to drive, supposedly reliable according to CU. However, let's see: 2 CID's crapped out, one under warranty. One of the retention pulley's let go, stranding my wife and 11 month old on a major highway at 53k miles. No sympathy from Saab Customer Service on that one since that's a "wear item" that needs regular replacement. Never heard that one before on any other car. And then of course, don't forget that you have to replace the Direct Injection Cassette every 4 years because it sits directly on top of the engine where it heats and cools to extreme temperatures daily. I didn't even know what the heck this cassette was til the service dealer pulled one out of the trash from a car the day before and exclaimed, "Yeah, normal wear item". Well, my 1991 Volvo 940 finally needed the equivalent part at 170k miles, ok?

Every time I went in for service, I got the sense that Saab owners such as myself were brainwashed into thinking that these were normal to all cars. Frankly, I had better things to do with my time, then hang around a service area with a fairly new car.

Prior to the last repair, we were very seriously considering a 9-5 wagon. After getting it again, we went "boring" and bought a Honda Pilot instead. I'm sure the newer 9-5's are more reliable, but we won't know til 4 years out. I didn't feel like finding out first hand.

Oh, and that same service writer said to avoid the V-6, too.
    posted a complaint on the rx330 site because he has to push the button on the remote twice for the rear hatch to unlock. :)
  • pokadotspokadots Member Posts: 10
    Someone from Saab must have erased mesage 1630.
    Basically I will say it again. One of the best days of my life was when I gave back my SAAB 95.
    The only reason people lease SAABS are the great lease rates. The only thing worse than the cars
    are SAABs service department.

DO NOT GET BAITED BY A GREAT LEASE DEAL
    Pokadots, in the interest of fairness to all, why don't you repost the "missing" post. I'd like to see how serious the problems were.

With regard to subsidized lease deals, the SAAB ones always seemed to me to be uniquely ideal for a SAAB buyer for lots of reasons. First,in leasing you are buying an option to buy at the end of the lease. So, if you like the car or if it is worth more than someone thought it would be three years previous you can buy the car. This option to buy is probably most important on a car you aren't reallly sure about and/or is a bit out of the mainstream. Secondly, you get to walk away in three years with no hassle. Thirdly, I suspect that with a leased vehicle you might have more ammunition if things went wrong. You could ask for the leasing company to negotiate with SAAB, you could ask for a penalty-less early termination if you leased another GM car, etc. etc. In other words you could drag in a third party into the discussion.

So, bring on the great lease deals. Let me drive a 40K Aero for $395 (just kidding) a month. Let me bring it back in disgust in three years if I want to. Let me keep it if SAAB turns around and Lutz improves the resale. Let me bring the leasing company to the table if the thing is junk. Despite the boilerplate I'll bet that you could get a leasing company to put some pressure on the manufactuer. ( For what it is worth, I write this as one who has never leased anything.)
  • chic345chic345 Member Posts: 2
    Looking for feedback on buying a 2001 Saab 9-5 SE wagon from my local Volvo dealer (who apparently doesn't want a competing Swede on his lot). The car has 39,000 miles on it and appears gently used - only concern is a CarFax report showing it titled as a rental for its first 2000 miles prior to being titled to a private party (possibly a service loaner?). The dealer is currently down to $15,600 for the car. Is this as good a deal as it seems or am I missing something about this particular car or Saabs in general? I'd like to buy and drive this wagon to 100K+. Any thoughts or troublespots with Saabs (V6?) that I should be aware of before I write a check? Thanks in advance to all who respond to my plea for help!
  • bretfrazbretfraz Member Posts: 2,021
    This forum was dead for about a year but I guess the winter blahs have been getting to some folks.

CHIC345 - $15.6 is an excellent price for that car. Since its not being sold by a Saab dealer its not CPO and that's one reason the price is good.

The consensus on V6 reliability is that its an excellent engine with very few problems. There are fewer V6 9-5's on the road than the 4 cylinder models but statistically it's looking like the V6 is every bit as reliable as the 4 cyl if not better. Use a full synthetic oil and change it every 5000-6000 miles. Don't go past 7500 miles between oil changes on the V6.

Write down the VIN and contact or visit your Saab dealer and see if they can find any service records. Things like spark plugs, transmission fluid, and coolant need to be replaced at 30K along with the normal oil change and air filter replacement. IOW, try to find out if the 30K service was done. If not that'll run you $300-500 and should not be ignored.

While you're at the dealer ask about buying an extended warranty. It might be worth the expense if only to mitigate potential expensive repair costs down the road. Saab parts are not cheap nor widely available and that makes some repairs rather pricey.

Like most European cars, Saabs are not rolling appliances. They need regular maintenance, a dose of TLC occassionally, and an owner who appreciates the driving & ownership experience. There is hardly a safer car on the road than a 9-5. And I think Saab is probably the last automaker selling a car with some real personality and character. If these things appeal to you, you'll love the 9-5. If not, there are other fine cars out there to own.
  • golfnuttbgolfnuttb Member Posts: 8
    I am looking at a 01 AERO that is loaded, but it has a 5 speed. I have no experience with Saab manual transmissions. Specifically the clutch. Can anyone offer up advice on their reliability or problems??? The car has 15K miles and the dealer is asking $24,000. It is not Certified. Does anyone know what the average cost to Certify is??? Would this be a fair price? Or should I have certifed, if not to costly.
    Any thoughts would be appreciated!!!
  • gbriankgbriank Member Posts: 220
    Reliability is better than average. I had owned my 9-3 manual for 34000 and was close to needing a new clutch ($500). Brake replacement around 40K (estimated by Service Advisor). I recommend you get the car Certified. Usually runs about $2000. Worth every penny. You can expect a few things to go out after 50K miles: DI Casette, SID display.
  • dskidski Member Posts: 414
    WEll... If you've been here long you know i've had 2 9-5's and loved both. Our current one is a Wagon. Reliability has been great so far. This is after 6 years experience.

But the reason for my response: I too went boring with my work vehicle, a Honda Pilot. I got everything including leather and a DVD system i Hate. Don't get your hopes up too much here. The Pilot ain't all that great lemme tell you. It most definately does not have the expect build quality from Honda. It's just been.. "okay". What a shame. It is a grea highway vehicle though.

Drew
  • golfnuttbgolfnuttb Member Posts: 8
    Does anyone know if I can put Xenon lights in my 2001 9-5 Aero??? If so is there a better after market place to purchase them?
    Thanx,
  • bretfrazbretfraz Member Posts: 2,021
    Are you talking about the same HID's that come with the current 9-5? If so, the answer is no. The nose of the 9-5 was redesigned in 2002 and headlights are not interchangable.

If you're asking about modding your current headlights to HID technology, I suppose its possible but I haven't read anything about the upgrade.

Brighter replacement bulbs are available but not easy to find in H7. Search online resources for best selection.
  • blafuselblafusel Member Posts: 1
    I though I share my experience with the group:

I own a 1999 Saab 9-5 SE 3.0 V6. At 64000 miles the timing belt was replaced by my local dealership. Now, at 75000 miles, the belt tensioner failed and caused major damage to the engine. The dealership did not inform me about the risks not replacing the tensioner. He did say, at the time of service there was no reason for it to be replaced. I am rather dissapointed that a $200 item was not replaced by default when renewing the timing belt. I am now faced with repair costs of over $5000 (plus rental car costs). I bought this car for my family after hearing so many positive comments on the reliability of Saab vehicles. I took care of all the service intervals recommended by Saab. This incident seems rather uncommon - but shows rather serious safety implications.

If anybody has any tips on how/if to approach Saab, please let me know!
  • blqueenablqueena Member Posts: 1
    I am very interested in the Saab 9-5 Arc Sedan, can anyone give me insight pros and cons if this is a good reliable vehicle and what I might expect (if any) to go wrong with it and approx costs. Also, should one get the automatic transmission now that its a 4cyl or stick with the manual. I'm Finally getting rid of a Lincoln Continental that has been nothing but a money pit and dont want to gain another money pit. Any help is appreciated.
    thanks,
    Brenda
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Hi Brenda - welcome!

While you are waiting for some comments, you'll be interested in paging back through some of the previous messages here. You can use the links on the page bar and/or the Search This Discussion feature. There is lots of good information here!

Good luck - feel free to email me if I can help you find anything here in the Town Hall.

:)
    We have a 2003 Aero Wagon with automatic and have had no problems at all. I have taken it in for the routine oil changes and the 10K service and that is all. We are getting good gas mileage. The car runs really well. I would recommend it, think about the Aero for just a bit more $$$ if possible. Whatever you get, opt for the heated and cooled seats if you can, they are the best feature. We choose the Saab over the Audi wagon and we are happy we did. Good luck in your purchase.
    Consumers' Most Wanted Vehicles for 2004 Survey is posted and ready for your input!
  • 03oddity03oddity Member Posts: 60
    Brenda,

I've had 2 Saabs and like them a lot. I prefer the auto to the stick for congested freeway driving. Consumer Reports recommends the 9-5 for reliability; some authorities point out that the current 9-5, as good as it is, is gradually becoming obsolete in comparison with new stars like the Acura TL or the excellent but overpriced BMWs.

I took my 2001 9-5 SE V6 (lease ends in 3 mo.) in for service today and had a chance to demo the 2004 9-5 Arc and Aero sedans. My local SoCal dealer is discounting them $7000 to $8000 right now with sale prices clearly posted. Prices exclude leases. Apparently there are some massive factory-to-dealer incentives. Saab is also well known for irresistible lease deals; just make sure you get the national program pricing or better. Leasing is a good option for someone who might be on the fence about keeping the car long term. Note that Saab includes the required services at 10K, 20K and 30K miles in the price of the car; I do recommend interval oil changes every 5K.

The Arc is a nice, well-appointed and competent sedan; the Aero really rocks. Either one would be a treat for someone who has driven an American-made car. I loved the ventilated seats! Pricey option at $1000. OnStar is now optional on the Arc, standard on the Aero. (I never used mine at all.)

Re: engines: I prefer the smooth authority of the V6 but it is now discontinued. The 4-cyl turbo engine is very reliable and economical. A bit of turbo lag and slightly jerky shifting on the Arc, less so on the Aero. Power to spare in either case (220 vs 250 HP).

I'm trying to decide whether to lease an '04 Saab or buy the TL. Saabs depreciate more but if you are starting out with a whopping discount and planning to keep the car a long time, or if you lease, depreciation is less of an issue. Best of luck!

P.S. Saab participates in the GM Supplier Discount program; find out from your company's HR department or www.gmsupplierdiscount.com if you qualify. It's free money that's good for an extra discount over and above what I mentioned above. (The amount of the extra discount is the difference between MSRP and invoice--usually $2500-3000.) Makes it very hard to shell out MSRP for an Acura when you could buy a Saab for thousands less than invoice!!
  • bhrobertsbhroberts Member Posts: 13
    A dealer near me has a 2003 9-5 Linear manual with 42k miles. Only asking $24K. It's loaded (leather, sunroof, etc.) and rides great. I figure the miles are all highway (how else do you put 42k miles on in one year?) Will get warranty for 4 yrs or up to 100k miles, too. I'm concerned that he may be be misrepresenting the engine. The Linear, I think, has only 185 hp? He says this one is over 200? Was there an engine option on the Linear in 2003?
    03oddity, thanks for the thoughtful post. I've always thought that at the actual transaction price, SAABs were a good deal. And an even better deal is a heavily depreciated, one year old SAAB. (Although that could be tricky to calculate because if the actual cost of the new Aero is say 8K less than an MSRP of 41K then a one year old Aero would have to be under 30K to be even an acceptable deal.)
  • oldmanoldman Member Posts: 35
    Did I misunderstand the pricing for a 2004 9-5? Can you really buy an AERO for 8 grand off the list price? Is that allowing for your trade-in? How about an ARC? The carbon fibre dash panel is gorgeous, but I don't like the 17 rims, makes the wheels look too much like a boy racer wannabe. Hence I've been looking at the ARC which is less racey. Anyone like the manual tranny?
    Serious as a heart attack! The dealer (Saab of Santa Ana) clearly posted the sale prices in the cars. Aero was indeed $8000 below sticker, Arc $7000 below. These are new 2004 models. Guess Saab feels the need to move some metal. I liked the features (esp. side bolstering on the seats) and driving characteristics better on the Aero but I agree about the 17" wheels and ultra-low profile tires; they look silly on a grownup car. Arc is a very reasonable compromise. Too bad they don't make the SE V6 any more. I loooove that engine! Can you say "torque"?
  • eitan56eitan56 Member Posts: 25
    I live in North NJ. I was looking at a 36 month lease-15K miles/yr on an Arc with auto trans & metallic paint. Offer from lone dealer was $999 out the door and $495/mo. According to dealer, the residual value of the car after 36 months is only 46%. Ouch! Money factor is .00033 from Saab. I guess everyone, including Saab, knows how badly these cars depreciate. I'll keep looking.

If anyone out there can steer me to a better deal in NJ, I would appreciate it. Too bad I don't live near Santa Ana. I'd be driving a Saab right now.
    Oldman, really the going rate on a SAAB is 8K off the Moroney before you step foot onto the lot. Its no special deal.

Eitan56, sure a residual of 46% isn't great but SAAB's is nowhere near that low if figured from transaction price. No one pays anywhere near MSRP on a SAAB. To compare residuals between comparable European sedans lets compare depreciation after the usual and customary sale price. Folks claim that BMW has a high residual and a low depreication but thats because they pay darn near close to list. The only reason SAAB has a low residual and high depreciation is the fictitious list that they discount by 8K to 9K every day, all day. SAAB needs to add content (AWD, 5 speed auto--makes sense with the 4 banger to have more selection, xenons across the line,throw another turbo on the Aero engine, etc.) or lower the MSRP. The market just isn't buying at any higher than list less 8K.

03oddity, yeh, the 17" wheels don't cut it and bend easily in winter pot holes, and the tires can be hard to find (European Car tested an Aero and blew a tire. The had to FLY in a tire from Tire Rack because no one stocked the particular tire/size). But, they are a tentative step toward something good. I'd like to see more performance stuff in the Aero to really differentiate it from other models and to go after the Ultimate Driving Car crowd.
    I'm impressed with that level of discount!! Unfortunately my dealer is an "Only Price" dealer, only discounting $1400 off sticker, take it or leave it. However, maybe he gives away the other $5600 by one heck of a trade in allowance??? I'd guess it is time to visit them boys. If I was in calif. I too would already be driving an '04 ARC!!
  • rob999rob999 Member Posts: 233
    I wouldn't deal with that idiot 'Only Price' dealer. The discounts are common knowledge. The Sunday auto section of the Chicago Tribune lists the discounts every week.

Personally, I'd think it would be a hoot to get a good deal on a car in California, fly out to pick it up and 'road trip' home in a new 9-5!!! I've driven ours straight thru from Colorado to Illinois a couple times now and am amazed how comfortable the car is, even after 16 hours on the road.
  • eitan56eitan56 Member Posts: 25
    This particular dealer,or Saab for that matter can charge what they want & I can take it or leave it. The Arc is sweet, but I will not pay $999 down, $495/mo. for it. That doesn't make any sense. Heck,I pay less $$ on an Acura TL with more features. I'll try some other Saab dealers or wait it out a few months.

If any of Saabers in north NJ can direct me to a good deal, you'll be my hero.
    The dealer emailed me a purchase price on the 2004 Aero (loaded to the gills) that ostensibly took into account the GM supplier discount--but in the process another $2800 of the originally advertised discount disappeared, making it a wash. Guess they figured I wouldn't notice. There is a $5000 purchase incentive from Saab that they did disclose, and another $500 owner loyalty cash.

On a 36 mo. lease, the $5K does not apply. Payments would have been about $200/mo higher than my current 2001 9-5 V6 SE lease (sweet deal: $409/mo plus tax, 15K miles/year, no cap cost reduction, residual $18121). I really don't want to buy a new car that is so many years into its product cycle; that lease makes absolutely no sense financially. Saab Finance will not deal on the 2001 buyout (I'd pay $15 or 16K max).

Looks like it will be a TL for me.
    We got about 5k of of our Aero wagon we bought last year. I wouldn't be surprised if you can get 8K now(Bummer for me). Oh well ;-)

Now to the look of the 17" wheels on the Aero. That is part of the Aero sporty look. In no way is it racer or ricey, its very understated. The wheels are no different than the look on the BMW 5 series with sport package. You like what you like, but IMHO you would be worse off with the ARC wheels. The 17" are pretty sturdy, but if you want more cushion you can get replacement Pilot Sports or comparable Bridgestone 730's /950's or even SO3's with 50 series profile.

As to perforamnce, the Aero is quicker, faster, firmer damped springs, better seats and gets pretty close in MPG to the new ARC. The 2003 Aero had better gas mileage than the old V6 ARC. The sport mode and Sentronic paddle shifters work very well. The brakes are awesome. I plan to add some Goodridge SS brake lines at some point and replace worn pads with Pagid pads when the time comes for a brake repair. The only other thing I might add is stiffer springs for really spirited driving thru the canyons. But let's be clear the Aero wagon handles as well or better than the Audi A6 Wagons, BMW 5 wagons and the M-Benz wagons.

As to reliability, not one issue. The only issue is resale - depreciation. If you turn over cars quickly then a lease is the way to go. We tend to keep ours for a while so no worries.

The ARC is nice but the Aero is worth it if spirited / enthusiast driving feel is high on your list.
    Please, because of the negative ethnic implications from which "rice" terms arose, they are not allowed in the Town Hall. "Boy racer" is a term that seems to convey the intended meaning without the possibility of creating offense. We appreciate everyone's understanding about this.

If there are any questions or comments about this policy, feel free to email either me or our Community Manager, Sylvia - both of us may reached using our first names AT edmunds.com.

Thanks!
    Buddha, I've never driven on 17s. Are these low profile tires prone to harsh riding on bad roads compared to the 16s? I also hear that 17s are sometimes difficult fitments as many tire dealers don't inventory 17s, so a flat can cause some headaches if you are traveling. Personally, I'd like the aero 5M with 16s, and you gotta deal.
    oldman - The 17's mounted on the Aero have 225/45/17 tires. I have hit a few 1-2" potholes at speed with no problems. The ride is firm but very comfortable. The car is exceptionally smooth on the highway over expansion joints. The springs and struts absorb any rough stuff. I wouldn't go any lower profile than the 45 if you really crave a comfortable ride. Like I mentioned before Tire Rack has a nice seletion of 225/45/17 tires if you need to replace the tires. Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires come in 50 series. You really miss out if you get the smaller rims. the Aero is stunning on 17's. Good luck
  • kiiwiikiiwii Member Posts: 318
    S80 and 9-5 are on top of my choices. Did a bit research and found 9-5 seems to have a better crash test rating than S80. But, to my surprise, 9-5 does not offer side airbags for rear passengers. Why?
    Kiiwii, I dunno! For such a stylish and safety-related car brand, it seems strange that Saab would be lacking the bags as an option. I too was surprised, because I would not buy a car anymore without that item for passengers. I emailed Saab and asked whether the 05s would have the bags, and their response was "it has not been decided as yet". So there you have it. I suspect budgetary restrictions prevented them from offering them, or developing them, as yet.
  • newsaabguy1newsaabguy1 Member Posts: 4
    I have an '02 Linear 5-speed (black over charcoal leather) I purchased new 2 years ago. As I understand it, the Linear has produced 185 hp since '01, with no factory options for increased power. Perhaps the salesman got the power & torque ratings confused (torque > 205 lbs-ft).

I absolutely love my car, even after attending an auto show last week/getting some seat time in a few competitive models. Probably the only thing that could lure me out of my 9-5 would be a fire sale on an FX35. I even talked 3 of my friends and co-workers into buying Saabs since I got mine.

Some items which may wear out earlier than you expect include the brakes (I now need new ones @ 48k miles), headlights & foglights. While the basic 48month/50k warranty covers a lot of wear items, I don't know if this will be the case on your extended warranty.

Good luck on your decision!
    Newsabguy1, brakes at 48K is early? Not so. Cruise over to the Land Rover Disco and Jeep Grand Cherokee forums. With those makes, by now you would be installing your third to fourth set of pads. Jeep rotors apparently can't be resurfaced, so you'd be into a lot of big buck rotors too.

I think if I had an Aero I'd ditch the 17" wheels come December 1 and install a Tire Rack/Tires Direct winter package with 16 inch rims and say Artic Alpins. That would improve the ride on the winter pot holes while giving you better traction. Maybe come Spring I'd put on 50 or 55 aspect tires on the 17" wheels and forget about the 45's in New England. Yes, no?
    The 2003 Linear with 24K M/T was sold before I could make up my mind, but another one, a 2001 Linear M/T with 40K is about to arrive and was offered at <$20K. In the meantime I test-drove a 2004 Aero M/T which they offered at $6K below List ($42K - 6K = 36K). I am inclined to offer $8K below List (after reading everyone's comments) and tell them to take it or leave it. I hate coming up with all that cash, but I can do it, and I did love the drive. I kept saying "Oh, baby" every time I pushed the pedal.
    Just closed the deal on the new Aero M/T. Got it for $7571 off MSRP. I went to Fitzmall.com and found a similar vehicle and asked my local dealer to match their Delivered Internet Price, and he did. I'm looking forward to driving this car for many years :)
    I'd like to hear all about your driving/ownership experience with the 9-5 AERO. I'm currently thinking about the exact same car with M/T. So you got it for about 32k? What was the list? What is the 0-60 time? Nobody seems to have the stats for this car. I especially like the carbon fiber veneer dash option.
    At 30K miles on my 2001 9-5 SE V6 the dealer claimed I needed new front pads AND rotors. I'm not a throttle-and-brake driver by any means and I've never had to replace rotors before on ANY car. Cost me around $400. This is a leased vehicle. What's worse, the rotors they put on were warped and drove me nuts until they replaced them again (their expense this time) at 41K miles.

Anybody think that's normal? I did not contact Saab Customer Service to ask for reimbursement for the rotors (others have commented on how unhelpful they are) but perhaps I should.

Pads, understandable I guess. Headlights, not so understandable but at least not too expensive (on the 3rd set now). But rotors??

P.S. I saw the internal cost sheet, rotors are $108 to the dealer, twice that to the customer.
  • lancerfixerlancerfixer Member Posts: 1,284
    Headlights are understandable, too. With DRLs, they're on all the time.