Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Saab 9-5 Sedan

Comments

• stan18stan18 Member Posts: 8
    The conventional wisdom is that with proper maintenance, a 9-5 will run a long, long time. Check out www.saabnet.com. There are a lot of folks over there with high mileage 9-5s that can help you if you have problems and/or warn you of the common major service items.

Also remember that when you look at any car forums or bulletin board, you will see many problems. This is usually the purpose of a forum, to discuss problems. People without problems usually do not post. It is rare to see a post like "50K troublefree miles!!!" (it's not because this doesn't happen, but rather most people have better things to do than post their non-events to a forum).
  • saaboysaaboy Member Posts: 23
    I have a '99 9-5 linear. Whenver i'm driving around 2,000rpm, i get this loud moaning noise from the car. Once i pass that rpm area, it sounds like the original engine roar. I took it to the mechanic and he claims its something loose in the transmission? Is it possible that it only rattles are 2,000 rpm? I also don't like how the stick on the 9-5 is it wobbly and loose compared to the one on my '86 900. Does anyone else have these issues?
  • sschribersschriber Member Posts: 89
    :confuse: Looks like a cross between my Malibu Maxx and the new Caddy...
  • bobskibobski Member Posts: 2
    I have nothing but problems with this car from day 1.. Today it is a cassette which will cost me about $600.00.. Two months after I purchased it needed major work. Something always going wrong. I have a 1997 Saab which runs much bettor..
  • bobskibobski Member Posts: 2
    I have to have my cassette replaced in my Saab 95 2001 today for about $600.00! I have had nothing but problems with this car.
  • vcubedvcubed Member Posts: 2
    Leased my 2004 95 Aero on December 31, 2003. The right speaker grill on the top of the dashboard separated from the housing when I drove off the dealer's parking lot. At the 30 days adjustment service a new speaker grill was ordered and installed. The grill popped off of the housing again after a week. Took it to the dealer again (after a while). This time the dealer replaced the speaker grill and the panel adjacent to it (running along the base of the windshield). The speaker grill popps up again after a day. My opinion is that the whole right side of the dashboard is not perfectly alignied and causing the speaker housing to tilt and the grill to pop. If I let the dealer disassembe the dashboard, there is no way they are putting it back together without introducing new problems. Should I just pour some glue into the speaker housing and have the speaker grill attached permanently to the housing? I know this is a nonsense, but the car still smells new and I want it to look sharp. Mechanically the car is very solid, vault like feel yet feels light on its feet and is a thrill to drive. I shopped for a long time, tried S60, A4, C320, E320, 325i and 525i. All are very nice cars. But considering performance, safety, cabin and trunk room, price the 95 Aero won with confidence.
  • vcubedvcubed Member Posts: 2
    Not available in the US. I found this super-sweet hot rod on the Swiss Saab web site. Follow this link http://www.saab.ch/main/CH/de/index.html , then select "Saab Performance", then "weiter" (or "skip", then "weiter"). 18" wheels and three very nice aluminum pedals. We won't be seeing this one offered as a "previously enjoyed" discounted version in the US. Bummer.
  • marc04marc04 Member Posts: 1
    My wife's 2001 Saab 9-5 Wagon with only 40k miles just had to have the DI replaced (today as a matter of fact). The warranty expired only 1/12 months ago to boot.

This seems wrong that a critical component of the car fails after just 40k miles.

Marc
  • atljonesatljones Member Posts: 2
    I also own a 1999 Saab 9-5 SE 3.0 V6. At 60,000 miles the timing belt was replaced by my local dealership. Now, at 81,000 miles, the belt tensioner failed and caused major damage to the engine. The dealership did not inform me about the risks not replacing the tensioner. I am now faced with repair costs. This seems to be a growing problem.

Does anybody have any tips on how to approach Saab? If so, please let me know!
  • timturbotimturbo Member Posts: 1
    just sold my 1995 900s with original clutch (with 295kms, that's right, 184Kmiles!) and bought a 2001 95 V6 with 30000miles; black on tan .. gorgeous!! It's very close to a dream car!!! The interior and exterior is flawless. What a step up..

I recently spent over 6000$cdn (4000$US) on my old 900 just keeping it on the road.. so happy to be rid of it.

Any tips out there on some of the things I should do with my new 01?... ie. PREVENTATIVE maintenance (such as changing the spark plugs often to save the IDM?)? What else should I be watching for? What about rust-proofing.. my old 900 was getting unbearable.. the bottom of all the doors were rusting... did Saab do any changes to slow the oxidation process of the metals?

thanks in advance...
  • avg1982avg1982 Member Posts: 1
    This has happened to me 3 times on my Saab 95 (1999)----Dec 2003, May 2004 and today....just stalls...once onthe highway luckily was heavy traffic so no one hit me....no warning...engine lite comes on and stops....should we write into NHTSA's Office of Defects to complain not sure how the process works with them..
  • ffb13ffb13 Member Posts: 181
    because of this web site i learned many years ago of potential problems with the di cassette.
    as a result ,and just in case , i purchased a di from the internet ,for $210.
    and ,i carry it in my trunk . i use the car for long trips and do not want to be at the mercy of a dealer $ 600. for the di is a rip-off because it takes less than 20 minutes ,if , to change this item.
    mine is a 2000 aero
    just got a letter from saab saying that they now guarantee my engine ,a 2003 aero 4 for 8 years unlimited mileage provide that i have done all services ,which i have ,above and beyond.
    changed my oil/filter every 2500 to 3000 miles and transmission fluid every 5 or 6,000 miles.

but when the warranty expired i threw out all the oil purchase receipts
    i did my own work most od the time ,but the dealer did a good portion so maybe i am ok. just have to get all receipts from the dealer.

car is now 6 years old and 80,000 miles .

thought that saab built good cars.........major disappointment.
  • accsellaccsell Member Posts: 5
    Now Saab Says not to Upgrade Crank Vent! Bulletin.htm12/2004)

NEW 9-5 Crankcase Vent / Oil Leak si210-2417.pdf 10/2003)

9-5 Crankcase Ventilation / Oil Leak fix .pdf 2002)

I had this service preformed by SAAB Dealer in Feb 2005 - $409.00
    DO-NOT-DO bulletin issued by SAAB in 12/2004
    Do you think Dealer should refund my money since they SHOULD have
    had knowledge this was to be immediately stopped by order of SAAB
    and any previously done procedure reversed if demanded by customer.?

What Say ye? - Accsell
  • kwskws Member Posts: 1
    Hello Everyone-
    I'm considering a 2003 9-5 (4 cyl, 71K miles) as a potential candidate in my search for a newer (and a bit nicer) vehicle. My primary goal is to drive whatever car I select another 100+K miles and enjoy it. I've seen many of the criticisms around the repair history of the European cars, but I'm really taken with the styling. And I like the bit of luxury they offer, too.
    So...beyond the normal maitenance just what do I need to be aware of when looking at this car? (Or is the "normal" maitenenace enough to be scared away?...) And what should I be expecting at 71K miles and beyond?
    I have no history with Saab at all, so anything you can offer would certainly be appreciated.
    Many thanks,
    KWS
    all i can say is based on my experience is to stay away from saab after 50,000 miles.
    i am going on 85,000 miles no major problems but with this new engine oil deal --read above --and what i have heard ,i suggest that you think before you buy
  • aeronautaeronaut Member Posts: 12
    Spyshot of 2006 update to 9-5. Real or photoshop? image
    Pic of my Aeroimage
  • mickkmickk Member Posts: 2
    I'm about to turn 100k on on a 01 95 Aero that I bought as a certified used with 33k in 03. I get great service from Just Saab in Fairfield, OH, the car has been almost faultless, and where else can you ge that performance and 30+ mpg on the interstate?
  • wesselwessel Member Posts: 4
    Did your car just die and then eventually restart. I am going on my 3rd summer of trying to find out why my car is stalling in the heat. In the winter its just fine but once its over 85 degrees I will be driving along and its almost like it ran out of gas but if Iet it sit for awhile it starts back up. I have it with a new mechanic right now and they still can't narrow it down. Can you give me more information on your cassette issue?
    I am right now trying to find out why my 2000 Saab 95 is stalling on me. For the last 3 summers whenever it gets over 85 degrees, randomly my car will just stall. If I let it sit for awhile it will start back up but this can take an hour or so. I have had it into 2 different mechanics, neither can get it to die on them and haven't figured out for sure what it is. The think it could be a fuel pump but not sure since it has been going on for a few summes now. I am getting really frustrated and was referred to this website to maybe find someone who has had a similiar problem.
    Where did you buy the cassette?
    i got the cassete from an e-mail place i think the name is EUROPARTS.

STALLING i think that what you describe is vapor lock.

ff
  • rico3rico3 Member Posts: 1
    I'm having the same problem with my 1999 9.5se. Were you able to solve the problem? What caused it?
    any assistance would be appreciated so I can pass it along to my new mechanic.
  • pattylpattyl Member Posts: 2
    I love my SAAb but I should have known I got a bad one when it broke down the first day I had it. I was doing 70 mph and all of a sudden, the car had no power. After two weeks back at the dealer, they replaced the throttle body ( had to get the part from Sweden).. This has happened two times since and the car only has 28,000 miles on it. Has anyone else experienced this problem ??? I think I have a LEMON !!!!!
  • tashfeentashfeen Member Posts: 2
    Have you checked the fuel pump.?
  • tashfeentashfeen Member Posts: 2
    Not possible to have 2 throttle bodies changed in such a short span. Change your dealer and also explain in detail what happened in the first place.
    it may happen to you . has happened to many from what i have read in other forums.
    this is the way it goes .

you lose the low beam.

the high is good. and you get home with it. maybe ?

then ,you will lose the high beam.

to make the story short.

go to the engine fuse box.

you will see that there are 4 headlight fuses .plus one grey low beam relay,plus an orange low,hi beam relay.

check out the small 4 fuses first . they are in front and next to each other.

if all ok , then the culprit is the orange fuse.

here are your choices ,( i have just learned this over the past few days )
    dealer $110 for the fuse plus maybe another $ 60. to install ,etc...or more if they can get away with it )

you---------- and this is what i did after being told how to. $20.

take out the orange fuse by moving the tab on top to the side and then pulling hard on the fuse.

then ,using a small knife pry open the bottom. easy to do,even i did it.

then take out the circuit board .
    if you are able ,with a magnifying glass, look at the bottom of the board and you will see that there are 2 or 4 split solders.

resolder.

or, take the fuse out ,take it to a tv repair place and ask them to inspect and resolder the busted part.
    total cost $ 20.

and reinstall.

like my granchildren say, ALL DONE.

happy trails again .

and ,in spite of all this and other problems ,this saab is still my favorite car over my mb and others including an fx35.

i may change my mind if this keeps up.
    Front, rear and interior views of the updated 9-5image
  • blckislandguyblckislandguy Member Posts: 1,150
    Thanks for the photos. Although we have always owned Volvos (among others), SAABs I think have a nicer interior and are more fun. We went on a 400 mile trip over the fourth to ME in our Cross Country and my wife came back a day later in her friend's 9-5. She thought that the SAAB rode better and was a nicer touring vehicle. Incidentally, while in ME we saw lots of older SAABs but the Official Maine State Car, the one that replaced the SAAB, is clearly the Suburu. How SAAB let Volvo and Suburu shoulder them out of this market is a sad story.

I think that given SAAB's lack of resale, a real steal would be a late model 9-5 AERO with the Air conditioned seats. Or a plain jane 9-5 very late model with a stick for real short (under 20K) money. Throw on some Blizzaks come winter and you would have almost AWD. Its real puzzling why the resale, especially in the Northeast, is so low. All those young studs in Bimmer 3 Series must have a fun time getting around in the white stuff.
  • pattylpattyl Member Posts: 2
    The throttle body was replaced only once. The second time the car started to idle really rough the dealer send the connection was no good. The third time I was told there was no clamp holding the hose connecting the throttle body to whatever it is suppossed to be connected to !!!!! Three different dealers have looked at this problem. By the way, the dealer in my city just dumped SAAB and I had to have the car towed 110 miles to the nearest one.Not a pretty picture :(((
  • jigga_6886jigga_6886 Member Posts: 3
    Hi there,

I recently bought a used 2000 SAAB 95 (100 K miles) and had the 24 point SAAB mechanical inspection. I had the serpentine belt changed, oil tank leak fixed and oil change. I can't remember if the 'check engine light' was on before I brought it in for inspection, but noticed it a couple hours later after I picked up the car. I brought it in the next day and the dealer assumed it was the sparkplugs so they changed all of them, and it was fine when I picked it up. Then a couple hours later the light came on again. The dealer said that if the sparkplugs don't work then I might have to change the ignition cassette. What exactly is the purpose of the ignition cassette? To start the engine right? Is there a need to do change this? It's quite pricey (they're charging me $500 for it). As far as I'm concerned, my car is in good mechanical order, the engine turns on, hasn't stalled and drives well. So what's your advice? Are there any other factors that cause the engine light to turn on? THANKS!
    Was this bought from an authorized SAAB dealer? (Most dealers that I know won't retail 100K mile cars.) If it was, the gentlemanly thing to do would be to put in a new cassette , no charge, and send you on your way. If it was not from a SAAB dealer, then maybe your state has some used car legislation protecting people from immediate problems such as yours. The 100K miles on the clock though might exempt them.
    Hi blckislandguy,

No, I didn't buy it from an authorized SAAB dealer. I bought it from a small used car dealer. What exactly is the ignition cassette for? Is it to start the engine? Where can I find out more techincal info on SAAB 95? Currently, my 95 is mechanically sound... the engine runs fine, the car drives well, and all the power options work.

I made a slight mistake in my previous posting... it's actually the 'engine malfunction lamp' that is on when I drive, not the 'check engine' light. I read somewhere in the user's manual that you may still be able to drive your SAAB but performance may be affected.

Is it an absolute must to change the cassette at this point? Thanks for your help!
    i have had my engine light come on and off for 3 years now,

it comes and goes.

i have had dealers do a computer diagnostic and have been told many different things as to what causes it.but mostly it is related to the di cassette.

i do carry a spare cassette that i bought from the internet for $400.it is in the trunk.

in my case the car now has 85,000 miles and i think that my problems started 3 years ago, my aero is a 2000 model , when i cleaned the engine and sprayed water on it.
    when i started the car the engine buckled so much that i thought i had broken something internally.after a while it came back to normal.

ever since then the check engine light has been coming on.

i still get 30 to 40 mpg and today i returned from a 1,000 mile trip delivering 31.5 mpg with the a/c on.
    i mention the mpg because a lower number would indicate a problem.

hope that this helps.
    ffb13: thanks for the tip!

Do any of you know anything about SAAB remotes? According to the manual, once you change the battery, you should press the unlock button 5 times in order for the car to recognize the signal. However, this doesn't seem to work for mine. Any suggestions? How do I tell if the remote is broken or that the car's sensor is not working? How much does a replacement remote cost?

Thanks.
    sorry ,have no idea.

and one more thing on the engine lite.

it appears that the lite may come and go as a function of the memory retained .
    but make sure you double check this out.

in my case i have had the fault erased from the memory twice and it still comes on which may mean that something is wrong somewhere. but as i stated ,so far so good
    No! I have actually put $600 into it in the last few weeks. They finally thought it was the computer system and replaced that with a used one for about $250 or so and I was driving it yesterday and it died again. I have had 3 mechanics in 3 years try to work on it and the current one is baffled. Mine tends to happen in the heat and heavier traffic, usually after 15 miles but maybe 30-40 minutes of stop and go traffic. What codes are popping up when they check your computer? If you want you can call my mechanic at 303-691-9484, Chris is his name.
  • ernewellernewell Member Posts: 8
    jigga 6886,

The ignition cassette is important and you do need to have it replaced - properly - to avoid a complete failure and to protect the catalytic converter from burning up.

In Dec. 2004, at 51,000 miles, my 2000 95 had a complete failure between two hairpin, blind curves on a two lane mountain road. We are very fortunate that this didn't cause a head or rear on collision. In really rough weather, we had to abandon the car - and take up stations uphill and below to warn oncoming traffic that my car was stationary in the middle of their path. The car was eventually towed 110 miles to the nearest open dealership.

The warranty had expired at 50,000 miles. To their credit, the dealership replaced the ignition module gracious. It would have cost me over $1,500. They promised to reimburse for the tow (which they never did).

Remember the saying: 'You get what you Pay for?' The engine light started turning itself on and off. A few weeks ago, at 55,000 miles the car failed again - this time on a busy freeway. Problem? The catalytic converter burned up because the ignition cassette had not been properly installed. Gee thanks!

Another important thing you should look into: Saab Cars sent out a letter on May 17, 2005 to owners of certain models and years regarding a possible engine defect that could cause 'OIL SLUDGE'. Your model is on the list. Saab was offering 'Special Insurance' for eight years to cover the problem. I called my dealership to learn what this is all about. Instead of giving me some basic info; they told me that until my engine fails completely, Saab has no obligation to me. I asked if I had to wait for the car to fail on the freeway and cause a piled up accident to get info on what this 'OIL SLUDGE' problem involves. Answer: 'This conversation is over.' Then the Manager of the Saab Dealership's Service department hangs up on me. Gee, I wasn't asking for a new engine, just a little info! Was that 'Special Insurance Offer' just a rouse to cover up something that should be recalled?

Two weeks after that conversation, the car fails on the freeway and nearly causes a string of accidents! The cause is not 'OIL SLUDGE' but a burned up catalytic converter.
    Why? Because that same dealership that refused to answer a few simple questions had improperly installed a DI module, which they had replaced gracious because the original one was defective.

What's a new catalytic converter cost installed? $1,500.

My car has 55,000 miles on it, has had all the services recommended by Saab and many more oil changes than the # they recommend. There is something not right here!

I'd advise getting your ignition module in working order! I'm told that having a 'DI module' (as it's called) fail at 100,000 miles isn't unusual; but, at 50,000 miles it is unheard of. Failure of the catalytic converter happens when the module fails, the car starts misfiring (which you may or may not be able to hear), the exhaust gets over heated because it can't leave the vehicle and the converter just burns up.

I purchased my 2000 95 wagon new from a Saab Dealership - with only 100 miles on it. It's been a most regrettable investment. At 30,000 miles it developed persistent, mysterious oil leaks. The engine was pulled and the head and rear gaskets were replaced at least three times. By 40,000 miles the car's exhaust manifold was blown and exhaust bolts failed due to manufacturer's defects. Once, after having the car for repairs for 42 days, they returned it saying it was a minor problem. That minor problem was that they forgot to reconnect the turbo. The oil leaks persisted and it was back in for repairs within days. At this point I'm thinking that if the car didn't start out a lemon, they are doing a great job of turning it into one.

Before the warranty was up, I took it in for two extra service inspections - for which I paid service fees. One service was with an independent repair shop and the other with a Saab Dealership. The independent repair shop gave me a comprehensive list of what Saab should take care of while the car was under warranty. The Saab Dealership said it was in perfect working order! I had to threaten legal action in order to get the Dealership to implement repairs that were covered by the warranty!

The head technician of my dealership once told me: 'Lady, Saab's not going to figure out what is wrong with your car until the warranty is up!' I couldn't believe that anyone could stay in business with this approach. Well, he was speaking the truth and no wonder he doesn't work their anymore!

My family, extended family and friends have purchased 14 new Saabs in the last two decades (the first one my father purchased in Sweden!) Mine is the only vehicle with problems that smell like a Lemon.

Jigga, my story is not meant to dishearten you on your Saab purchase! Just protect your investment. Get that DI module replaced and look up the 'Special Insurance' Saab is offering for cars of your model and year regarding 'Oil Sludge'; and, follow their recommendations on oil changes and services.

Hope your luck is better than mine!

ernewell
    ffb13

Please see response, #1923 on July14, 2005 to Jigga
    re: DI ignition cassette
    Please see my response #1923 to 'Jigga'
    RE: Need Advice

I'm fed up with the lack of service, mishandling of service and now refusal of service from my local dealership; and, with Saab Cars giving me the run around regarding my 2000 95 wagon. The most recent problem is the Di module that they replaced gracious (though the car was out of warranty); but, installed it improperly and now the catalytic converter has burned up at 55,000 miles.

I'm the last person to resort to legal action; but, they are making it hard for me not to consider that to be my best option.

Any advice would be appreciated.

ernewell
    about 12 days ago i was driving my vette when it started to stall.
    would idle fine and then on acceleration it would stall.
    it was a total failure or blocking of the catalytic converter.
    this ,it appears had been going on for many years. the car is a 1986 conv. pace car in showrrom condition.
    the telltale signs were a ringing or like loose chain being handled.
    the sound comes on at idle and you can hear it at the tail pipe.
    if your tailpipe has a ringing sound to it ,or similar you may suspect that the cat conv. is falling apart.
    in my case i only drive this vette about 1500 miles per year so it was a slow process.

my saab with 86,000 miles now, ( just drove it from vt/ct to fla. ) has a slight ringing to it at the tail pipe on first start,so it appears that the process is beginning.

i do have a spare di cassette with me . but the oe one does not appear to be failing.

i will look into this
    ffb13,

Hi,

I'm apologize for 'rattling on' on this message board about the sobful woes of my lemon scented 2000 95 wagon!

What I really do need advice on is what is the relationship between a DI ignition cassette that fails because it was defective and the subsequent burning up of the catalytic converter?

Any advice? Thanks
    i know of 2 things that will damage a cat.

1) raw fuel going into it

2) too much heat

both the above ,i am told , repeat ,i am told ,can happen when you have a bad dic.

also, and check this one out.
    a failure of a cat conv. is a blockage that does not allow the gases out and they back up into the engine causing too much back pressure.

when you start the engine go to the muffler in the back and listen to it.
    if you hear rattling sounds that may ,may be , the conv beginning to desintegrate and all that matter then settles and blocks the passage.
    You know, for the last four years we've read that Bob Lutz, Marine fighter pilot, blogger extrodinaire, private fighter jet owner, helicopter commuter, ladies man, Saab driver, etc. was going to turn GM product around. Hasn't happened. A week or so ago GM took away a lot of his responsibiliies and moved it into the President's office. Then I see in today's WSJ that GM has hired a Wall St. analyst to come on full time to give the GM President insights into how the world sees GM. This is nuts. What would a Wall Street guy know about how the world really works?

SAAB wouldn't be where they are today if a real car guy had been in charge of GM product development. The Car Guy's first memo would have been to SAAB management directing (note, not "suggesting") them to call Haldex by the close of business and begin making the entire line AWD. The second memo would be directing SAAB to air freight before the close of business that day a pallet load of the V6 engines to CA to have a 90 day crash program toward hanging a turbo off each bank. (If Audi can do it, why can't SAAB with far more turbo experience.) They could have called a twin turbo AERO, AERO TWO. The kids would have called it an AERO Deuce within 48 hours and sales would have rocketed. This didn't happen and Suburu and Volvo grabbed the winter niche and ate SAABs lunch.

I'm beginning to thing that Lutz is simply a handsome 73 year old who made too many airplane landings without putting the wheels down. (It is public knowledge that he has done this at least once.)
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    We're here to talk about the 9-5 specifically, not Lutz, not why Saab is where it is today and not GM in general. Have a look at our News & Views board - I'm sure you'll find the right place to pursue those thoughts. :)
  • saaboysaaboy Member Posts: 23
    i agree wit mr. awd and twin turbo, how come we see audi doing it when saab has been using turbos more?! And the AWD, so not saab, even though saab never had it. Everything else with saabs are reasonable except for the fact that their isn't AWD even optional, at least on the real saabs. I hope GM doesn't think adding a trailblazer and WRX to the lineup will suffice the AWD in saab longings?

P.S. Sorry host, but just wanted to add that really quick...
  • altbigdaltbigd Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 9-5 with 85,000 miles. At 55,000 miles (last summer) I had to replace the engine due to oil sludge and had to pay $ 3000. I have had nothing but trouble with this car. (worst decision I have ever made) Last week the O2 sensor need replacement - this week they say I need a catalytic converter for $1840. Oops & they will refund me for the O2 sensor. I have smoke coming from the car at start up and and waiting for the turbo to go. As the dealer said would happen with the sludge issue.
    What to Do?
    Can't trade - the resale on SAAB's is awful.
    Any suggestions - I have contacted SAAB regarding a refund - they indicated [non-permissible content removed] wasn't probable.
    Also - is the converter issue related at all to the sludge issue?
    While you are a bit vague on details, my impression is that you now have a '01 9-5 with 30K on a remanufactured engine. How complete was the engine that was installed last summer and what was the warranty? ($3000 probably did not get you a complete remanufactured engine and installation. It is too low.) Apparently the engine smokes on start up. You probably have worn valve guides on the engine which at 30K miles is the fault of the remanufacturer. Is the replacement engine still within warranty? If not and if you can't live with it, the cylinder head has to come off and be redone at your expense.

Not sure what you mean by "waiting for the turbo to go". But if you are having problems with your turbo maybe an independent shop could install a remanufactured-exchange one for you.

All in all, European car at 4 years and 85K miles will have some problems. But at least when it is running well you have the satisfaction of driving a 9-5.
  • volvocuriousvolvocurious Member Posts: 4
    I have seen a lot of reports of problems with the DIC. Is this a problem on all 9-5's or just a specific model year(s)? Please be specific. I am looking at a 2002 and want to know if it will have similar problems. The salesman told me that they are replacing the old DI casettes with upgraded ones that won't be so unreliable. Is this bull?