Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Saab 9-5 Sedan

Comments

• saablcpsaablcp Member Posts: 195
    Due for a refresh ...YES,poor reliability record ...You better check on that one!Saab 9-5 has the best reliability record of any mid-size or larger European sedan.
  • ijgijg Member Posts: 1
    Anybody know anything about this anticipated recall? I received a letter from Saab telling me that my vehicle (mine is a 6-cylinder but it also applies to 4 cylinders) might be equipped with a defective ignition discharge module (IDM). The letter basically says that Saab doesn't have replacement parts yet and are hoping to have enough to send out recall letters in March of 2006.

Basically, a defective IDM can either cause your car to stall (more often in a 4 cylinder) or in a 6-cylinder there is a chance if you don't stop driving when the check engine light flashes, you can possibly have a fire (or thermal damage in their wording). I realize the odds are slim but apparently it has happened to some drivers. You can read more about the recall at www.autospectator. com/modules/news/article.php?storyid=2214 (I searched for saab recalls).

I've never owned a car that will be recalled and am frustrated that GM can cover themselves by sending out this pre-recall letter while the rest of us drive around wondering if it will happen to us.
  • redaeroredaero Member Posts: 2
    My 02 9-5 Aero's factory warranty will expire in a month. What do you guys think about aftermarket warranty? Is it worth it? Who provide the best warranty out there? I heard that GMPP is pretty good. Your opinions are much appreciated. Thanks
  • r34r34 Member Posts: 178
    The tire noise was getting louder and louder (humming noise, increased speed -> louder noise) . I described the problem with the dealer and they found that the wheel bearings were bad. They replaced them free under warranty. The car is so quiet now.

I increased the loudness of my Aero from 10 to 20 but I found that the result was worse in the front. It didn't sound natual. High pitch was too shape. Howvere, it seemed to be better when I sat at the back. I changed it to 15 and it sounded much better.

I did the same thing to my 9-3SE (changed it to 20). The result was good and I can really tell the difference.

Thanks !
  • ffb13ffb13 Member Posts: 181
    there are 2 recalls .one a hiddeden one.
    the dic is a major source of failures and the engine quits ...now.

the other is major engine failure due to folowing the oil change recomended by saab.
    to solve you must use synthetic oil and change every 3,000 miles .
    to solve problem saab has given us an 8 year warranty ,unlimited mileage.
  • robyn21782robyn21782 Member Posts: 1
    Hello!

Does anyone know the proper antifreeze to use in a Saab 9-5 Arc from 2002? My manual just says a "saab approved antifreeze" which doesn't help me very much! Thank you in advance for any help!
  • 8aa2ym8aa2ym Member Posts: 16
    It's the ABS ECU. To be more specific, the ABS module. You can find DIY instructions at Saabnet.com
  • stmssstmss Member Posts: 206
    Many Saab owners have been waiting for recall of the DIC module. It is a known problem. This unit sits atop the spark plugs. Some owners even carry a spare in the truck as it is a quick DIY changeout if required. Me?, I just play the DIC lottery.

I think Saab's story is that they have been looking for a solution to this for awhile and are now waiting until there supplier can offer up the replacement.
  • shannon35shannon35 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 9-3 and last December my car died downtown Boston at a red light. Mechanic replaced the igntition cassette. I'm getting out of this car. SInce I've bought it, the alarm mysteriously kept going on and off all day long, the ignition cassette had to be repalced, the alternator went about 6 months after the ignition cassette and a month after that the AC compressor blew. This is excluding the dented rims and brake discs/pads.

All of this on a new car with less than 35k on it. Of course it all went bad after I bought it at the time the lease was up and with no miles on it, I didn't opt for the extended warranty. Live and learn. I'll never get into a Saab again.

I'm going to call them. I have the bill for the ignition cassette-has to be related to the IDM?

Good luck.
  • tonylostonylos Member Posts: 2
  • tonylostonylos Member Posts: 2
    I had both computers go out on my car with in a month. I had a fire both times that destroyed my catalytic converter also. The second time it also melted some of the wire harness on the bottom of my car. It cost me $3,000 to fix the car. I have 2001 95 with a 6 cylinder engine.

Like you I am still scared the car will catch on fire and i will be stranded somewhere.
  • wthmwthm Member Posts: 4
    I had similar problems with my 2001 Saab 9-5, which we
    bought 1 yr old, 6yr/100K certified. Since then ~every
    2-3 months something's broken down:

-sunroof strut
    -radio display x 2
    -front wheel bearing
    -ignition cassette : coincidentally also left me stranded
    in Boston, this time on busy I-93 in rush hour
    -paint peeled on front hood, fought w/ Saab for them
    to repaint whole hood
    -turbocharger replaced
    -trunk release
    -ignition key
    -emissions components x 2
    -most recently transmission problems...
    -etc..

we finally got sick of the car, and traded it in at a big
    loss (only got 7K for it, KBB 12K, but no one would want
    to buy such a lemon) --> got a new Toyota Sienna which
    should provide yrs of trouble free driving. Never a
    Saab again!
  • mattesonmatteson Member Posts: 1
    Hello, i am trying to sell a car for my Boss and i was wondering if someone could give me an idea of what i can get for it. The car is a 2000 saab 9-5. Manual trans. 21,000 miles. Mint condition. All highway miles. Garaged. Blue. CD player, sunroof, leather interior. My Boss says he only wants 14k, but he said he got it for around 65,000. Is this right? The highest Kelly blue book i can find is about 13K Is the car really not worth that much or is there soemthing else he has forgot to tell me that would make it worth more? Any assistance and or advice about selling would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Walt
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Have you checked the Edmunds Used Car Appraiser? If not that's worth a look and you might also try asking Terry (rroyce10) in our Real-World Trade-In Values discussion. Be sure to include all the necessary information that is listed above the post box.
    due to the engine sludge problem look at around 9.or less

even my dealer told me to forget about resale value .

it is that bad.

and the 65 figure new , b.s.
    they are and have been discounted heavily since day 1

my aero 2000 listed for 44.5 and got ti for 39 dec,1999.
  • kimhkimh Member Posts: 1
    Ditto--has happened to us several times and is in the shop again. Just to add a bit more description of what happenbs to compare if this is identical situation, our car doesn't just seem to stall, but just stops--all the lights flash on and steering wheel, ignition and the gear shift lock up. We couldn't even move it into nuetral to tow it (had to get a tow truck with hydraulic lift.) When the car stalled/stopped, we could barely coast over to the side of the road to get to a safe spot. Like you, we were on a busy road and could have been rear-ended if the car behind us wasn't at a safe distance.

The first time we took it in, Saab said it was a loose battery cable. I am really pushing them this time to get to the real problem because this is incredibly dangerous.

What did you end up doing to fix?
    We all are incredibly dependent on our cars in this high paced,go,go,go,society...so when our car lets us down we feel betrayed by the manufacturer.It seems that the majority of the posts on this(and most manufacturers)forum
    are negative I'd like to point out that the Edmunds consumer rating of the '05 9-5 model is an avg.of 9.2.Acura TL,Audi A-6,and BMW 3 Series are all at the same 9.2 average and every critics poster-child for reliablilty and quality the Lexus ES-33O comes in at 9.1. Just looking to add some perspective on the big picture vs the snap-shot.
    From when I bought my 2001 Saab 9-5, Consumer Reports
    has downgraded engine reliability to well below
    avg (see most recent CR used car guide).....consumers
    know this and resale value suffers.

Big picture is that the number of negative postings for
    Saab's exceeds any positive postings. This is why I
    got rid of the Saab. There are plenty of other cars
    out there which are more reliable with far better
    resale values.
    Consumer reports as is their norm gives you a reference but are always short on specifics.Most engine problems are with the light pressure turbo 3.0 liter V-6.something you should be aware of if used car shopping.As to new models,Saab dropped the 3.0 V-6 and only offers the 2.3 turbo I-4 in 220H.P or 250H.P. versions for '05 and a single 260H.P. version for the upcoming '06. The 2.3 liter block is an absolute war-horse for Saab,in use since the late 80's and virtually bullet-proof.
  • saabskisaabski Member Posts: 61
    Hello all,
    I have a final price of $32,025 for 2005 Parchment silver Aero Wagon. It has approximately 5500 miles (a demo-but still new car financing) and has Executive package and Sentronic auto. Is this a good price on a Aero wagon? Tax will be another $2000 or so OTD price would be $34,285 here in Texas. Even though it's a 2005, 2006 remodels will arrive at the dealership soon. Dealership is giving me over $12,000 in discounts, but I think I could pull even better price if I could wait just a bit longer...Also, is Parchment silver a popular color? I could live with the color, but I am concerned in a long run if I ever have to trade this car.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    Not only a good price but the fact is there are probably not even 20 '05 Aero wagons left in the country at this point.Based on the fact that Saab has a very minimal number of '05 9-5's to move it is HIGHLY unlikely that they will offer any additional subsidies on these models.If you hold off wating for that to happen it's more likely that someone will step up to the plate,buy the car and you'll lose out.The '06 has some nice design and styling changes but the best case pricing scenario would have you at $6-7K. above the '05.
    just saw and tested the new 9.5 and very dissapointed.

so, if you are a saab traditionalist and are thinking of buying a new one .........wait..........

i think that the new car will just dive in sales.

no real changes over the 2000 .
    actually i find the car has been decontented in many areas thou they claim 1360 changes .

yeah sure.

so,sales will be slow and thus good deals to be had in a few months.

just cross shop it with the m35 thr rl 3.5 and others in the same $ 41,000 price range.
    it just cannot compete.

now ,a fully equipped 9.5 2006 sports packg. going for less than $35,000. may just do it .otherwise ????
    Well for starters....2000 9-5 Aero,230H.P.......no Xenon headlights,no stability control,no XM radio,No availibilty of in-dash CD changer,no Prepaid maintenance...M.S.R.P.
    App.$41,000. 2006 9-5 Sedan W/Sport Pkg....260H.P. ALL THE ABOVE STANDARD....M.S.R.P.$35,915.We have received one Wagon and one Sedan,initial customer reaction:OVERWHELMINGLY positive,Both vehicles sold the first day of arrival.After 11 years selling Saab's I have learned that there is a large contingent of Saab-o-philes who despair over every change made to the vehicle since 1985.Of course if Saab followed their lead we would have gone the way of Renault,Peugeot,Alfa Romeo years ago!
    the 2006 9.5 that i saw had a sticker of $40,785 .

and all it had was the sports pckg. and freight .

like i said , a fully equipped one ,and i mean all the stuff, at 35.o is a yes .

otherwise is a no.

as far as saabphiles is concerned ,saab lost most of them the moment that gm started to get involved.

i had always wanted a saab . but they were somewhat unreliable and i never did .even when an aquitance of mine bob sinclair used to ru n the company in the usa ,they ,saab had extremely poor customer service.

it was when the p & g guys moved from saturn to saab and started implementing new quality control standards that i decided to get one.i know their systems very well having worked with many of them in the past.and, i expected them to follow through .they did not.
    they screwed things up.

so where we now ........

better cars out there for the same or less money.

i still like my aero. has been great. but will not buy another one.
    again,better cars out there ,more reliable, and better sound systems ,etc....

a real shame .

by the way ,i do own infinity and others including another tragic loss due to reliability problems ,mb.

so, you may not agree . but a few saab dealers had opted out of the brand recently by selling the dealerships..they see the hand writing in the wall,and wagoneer is not capable to turn this ,nor gm around.
    Saab 2006 9-5 sedan w/sport pkg.M.S.R.P.= $35,195
    Dest.= $720.00
    Auto.Trans.= $1,350.00
    Visibility Pkg.= $1,295.00
    Mica Metallic Paint= $550.00
    TOTAL M.S.R.P.= $39,110.00

Order your car in non-metallic Black w/5 spd.manual transmission(my preference) M.S.R.P.= $37,210.
    Yes, you can drive the car's price up with Onstar and Navigation if you want them but I can buy the $37,210 car I speced out for under $36K.any day,all day!!!!
    the point is ,a fully equipped 9.5 ,and i did say before , fully equipped ,at under 35 $ is a go.from a list of what $ 41.5 or 42 ?

but ,a stripped one ,or say a base model ,at 30.0$ maybe.but too high at 35.

keep in mind that the new radio is inferior to the one in my 2000 aero.
    the leather in the seats is not as subtle as in mine.it is grainer and coarser.
    and other.........
    the word is decontented.
    and yes ,in 2000 my car listed at 42.5 or so,and i did get it for under 38 in december 2004.

so on this basis the new car,5 years newer,at the same price point as my 2000 appears to be a good deal.. but is it really ?

i went to the dealer planning to get the new one ,2006.
    i walked away.
    and as much as i like saab ,i have walked away.

and now looking at either the rl or maybe the new s class or the m35 or 45.

i am happy with my fx35 and may go the infin ity route again.

the point is ,that saab ,for the year 2006 has lost a repeat customer.

i still like the feeling of driving a saab,and the 32 mpg at 85 mph on long trips .

i may come back but not now.the car is not worth it at this time.
    the post above should read

" for under 38 in december of 1999 "
    Try and keep your facts separate from your opinions.If you don't like the re-design you are entitled to your opinion.You keep referring to the car as being "de-contented" and as proof of that you say you feel the leather is "grainier and coarser"...which,fact or not,is a matter of personal taste. As to the sound system it is the GM Prestige system which features the same HarmonKardon amplification(200 watts)and 9 HK speakers as your current car.The control unit is what GM calls their Bow tie system and is irrelevant to sound quality....and even with all the so-called de-contenting you refer to,the car now has standard XM Satellite radio and an in dash 6 disc CD changer,neither available in the higher priced previous years.
    well, it appears that only you and i are on this board for now.

when the car ,9.5 first came out ,this board ,i was told ,was the busiest in edmunds.just . go back and look at the number of posts vs. now.

look at it now.

and if you do not know why ,just look at why the only way you can move these cars out is due to highly subsidized leases.( this has been going on for some time now )

de contented cars------------the 9.5 has been decontented.it is a fact.you can argue all you want. but in my opinion it has been decontented here and there .
    and yes you now get better headlights. but are they really ?

the leather is an inferior quality grain from before. not subjective.this is my observation.

the prices are the same as the year 2000 because gm has decided to back out of artificial pricing or should we say away from inflating or creating an artificially high msrp ,to be able to give discounts and make the end price look like a good deal ,and now they have decided to go into a lower msrp by taking away the cosmetics.

you are obviously a dealer and as such you have to stand up for your product. which is fine.

but ,customers are slowly beginning to see the light ,not only with saab ,but also other brands.

and , i do like the way the car looks now . and you may get some new buyers. but repeat sales ?????/i do not know.

i think that the car no longer delivers on the saab brand promise.
    it has lost ground to competition and failed to remain as it was originally positioned.
    and worse ,its reliability is in the pits right down there with yugo and vw..
    just read consumer reports.

and when this happens ,repeat sales are lost . and repeat sales has been saab strenght over the years.
    now, it has become another gm brand or should i call it casualty to be in the gm stable.
  • smu1976smu1976 Member Posts: 110
    I had a 99 9-5 six banger, only one visit to the shop for the three year lease for repair. 2002 Aero Wagon, in the shop three times, about once a year, little stuff. 2004 Toyota Avalon XLS, fully loaded, sticker over 35K, constant problems, electrical, fit and finish, plastic cracking, wires cut to short under seats, (nearly more repairs than my 92 9000 Griffen Edition which has delayed my retirement by 5 years, but the Griffen still holds the title). I knew the service manager so well at Saab, he now comes over for dinner at Thanksgiving and Christmas). 99 Chevy Suburban, only in shop twice in six years. 2002 Honda S2000, never one time in the shop once (only 13K though). I guess its all relative, i.e. how you care for your car, how many miles, what conditions, how you drive, etc., I surely would not put a Saab over a Honda or any [non-permissible content removed] model for that fact, nor any german model, nor do I think the above poster has any reference on a 9-5 being the most "reliable" car in ownership (initial satisfaction, JD Powers, but not trouble free ownership), but its been my dealt hand, that I bought. But damn, Saabs are fun to drive, and I just love the smart engineering, ergonomics, safety, Onstar, Tune-box, WeatherBand, Great, Great Seats, Seat Warmers that cook your [non-permissible content removed] and a 4 cylinder that will smoke the tires, so the hell with the ratings game. Too bad they don't teach most the salesman about the car though, they are so poorly informed and the consumer looses out, for few ever read the manuals to know some of the neat features, attributes, reasons for particulars of manufacturing, etc., of these cars. PS, In my book (which is at the 2nd grade reading level) the 9-2 and 9-7 or only about 15% Saab. Shame on GM for doing this to Saab. Jack up a 9-5 Wagon and add all wheel drive. Monster Garage would crank it out in a weekend. It worked for Audi/BMW/Volvo.
    You must get a different Consumer Reports, the 9-5 has been a recommeded vehicle both new and used for years.
    Also, read some car rags, the new 9-5 is on the way. If you are familiar with Saab, they keep a model style for about 10 years, then again, so does Volvo, BMW, MB, and Audi. I am on my 4th Saab since my 86 SPG, so I am a repeat offender. Leather, better than Acura, Lexus to name a few, very durable and strong, not soft and thin. Leases? must of these cars in this segment our company car leased cars, if not, they are still written off (your discount) that way just as the rush for SUV's were for this year. I am not a dealer, and I am not standing up for Saab, GM or knocking any other brand, but if you do your homework, buy new, lease, buy certified and have a warranty, I don't believe your experience would not be pleasurable. Tell me another car that gets the gas mileage of a Saab, the interior room, standard features, and can hit zero to 60 under 7 seconds? Non of the luxo brands in the Saab price range (street price, not MSRP).
    smu

do not misread my posts please.
    i do love my saab with 100k miles.
    i do get 32 mpg at 85 and 90 mph (no a/c)on long trips 1500 miles .and if i behave ,at 55 to 60 mph on i95 i do get 42 to 46 mph.(take 2 to 3 mpg off with a/c ).
    hard to believe but true.
    and i do change my oil and tranny fluid myself every 3k miles.
    now with a viggen exhaust and other mods to the cat i have lost some torque .but have gained a smoother running car at over 125 mph.
    do carry a spare dic in my trunk.

regarding consumer reports, when new this car was highly rated. now ,it is black rated mostly due to the oil sludge problems that are destroying the engines.
    that is why i now have an 8 year unlimited mileage warranty on the engine.(courtesy of the gvt. of course).

my problem with the 06 , i have posted , is that it has been left behind by competition and the other stuff i mentioned.

today i took a spirited backroads ride in conn. no it is not as much fun as a 911 or nsx ,but it does seat 4 .
  • tomwtomw Member Posts: 31
    Well, it has to be better than the "stereo" in my 9-3 Linear, which is absolutely atrocious. Between what is an intentionally bad system - somebody approved it for production that way - and the other quality fiascos, I'm done with SAAB. When the lease is up in a couple of months, ADIOS!

This after a 2000 9-5 and a 2002 9-5 (my wife's). Both were great cars.

The 2006 9-5 is essentially a holdover that was designed before GM took full control of SAAB, so may be OK (if you can get past the headlight treatment that makes it look like it's wearing goggles).

But the 9-3 demonstrates that now that GM is in control, the content and quality is being ratcheted down to GM levels. NO THANKS.

Accorging to the car magazines, it appears that future SAAB's will essentially be re-badged Opels (in the same vein that the 9-7 is a re-badged TrailBlazer).

NO THANKS. I want a quality vehicle, not a GM vehicle!
    It would be nice if this bulletin board were restricted to customers only. Saablcp has stated that he is a Saab dealer, and therefore obviously is biased towards Saabs.

The leather is a subjective issue, but you cannot twist the facts that Saab 9-5's have had two major engine problems : ignition cassette failures and oil sludge, which federal govt forced Saab to admit these defects.
    This has directly led to Consumer Reports downgrading
    their reliability recommendations.

Combined with this is the poor customer service at many
    dealers in the Boston area (Reading MA, Andover MA,etc),
    and I have registered a complaint with the local BBB
    about the Andover shop. My Toyota and Acura dealers have
    been great in contrast.....I believe I am neutral since
    I dont sell cars : I am an internist who simply wants
    reliable transportation.
    All of my posts regarding the 9-5 have been reasonably free of pro Saab bias.I try and stick to the facts and dispute and challenge that which I consider to be opinions stated as fact and factual misrepresentations .You have stated that Saab has de-contented the car....I challenged you to make a list to counter my list of additions to the model.Your response....no response.The Consumer reports recomendaton of the car is a matter of record.Your opinion regarding the Leather is totally subjective and my response was only to point that fact out.You also misfired on the audio system which was and still is done by Harmon Kardon.
    We have a lot of very helpful salespeople hanging out in the Forums. They are a valuable part of our community. And for the record, I've seen several salespeople state that they like and/or drive cars other than what they are selling. I don't think you can just automatically assume bias.
  • pearson244pearson244 Member Posts: 16
    Wow, did not realize so many bad vibes on the 9.5. I have a certified 2001 V-6 (been off warrenty for 1 year now) and it has been a great experience, esp. compared to my prior Audi's. At 74K two repairs off warrenty were a front R wheel bearing and new battery. It is a great winter car (Maine) and the dealership is great with nice Saab loaners. I get 29 mpg highway and 19 around Portland, mainly stop and go crap. Love the stereo, the automatic heater function when car parked (keeps dogs warm up to hour at 25F in winter, tons of room with seat down, and car has been dead reliable. Anyway, sorry to hear of all the problems as I have been recommending 9.5's to all my friends. I am planning to get Certified 2001-2002 V-6 Wagon next year as those have the vented seats and the weather band radio (which is use all the time during sailing season) and they are cheap. Finally, did get a recall on the Cassette but installation not until March.

:)
    Here's a generalization based on 21yrs.sales experience:The two groups of people who make internet posts regarding their cars are those who LOVE their cars and those who HATE their cars.The vast majority of owners who fall in between are largely unheard from.They vote with their dollars, expressed as brand loyalty.For the most part Saab owners are intensely loyal.Those who post negative experiences outnumber the positive posters by a huge majority .That is largely attributable to basic human nature.Ever listen to sports talk radio the Monday after your football team loses vs the day after a win?Which scenario generates more callers and more passion?The other result of our extreme dependence on our cars in this society is the opinion we form when our ONE car lets us down,inconveniences us and disrupts our day to day routine....not MY car (singular) is a lemon,no....these CARS(plural,as in every one ever built!!)are lemons!Just one man's view from the trenches!
  • minarets1minarets1 Member Posts: 49
    i had seen some pics and thought the new redesigned 2006 looked better and caught my eye more then the older 9-5. now i am not gonna lie, i am not a saab loyalist...i have never owned one and just as recently as the new 9-3 even became interested. maybe this is why Saab did what they did,--to bring in more then just the loyalists.

anyway, on to the drive.

upon approach the car is very low to the ground. the front end is very long and "beak-ish" if you will. the wheels look good but imo, need to be 18's. i beleive the 9-3 has 18s and the 9-5 is a bigger car and has a lot of gap to fill. the Pirreli tires are nice, but replacemet will be expensive. the grill looks good to me and the headlights , for some reason, appeals to me. i wish the US version could get rid of the amber corners. i do hate we have to have those on cars here.

the back end looks good, but i dont care for the cheap looking plastic covers on the tailights--the rippled red covers do not appeal to me.

i entered the car and for you who may be worried about traditional saab headrests, they are still there. i have seen some mention on some boards that Saab "GM-ized" the headrests--no worries. the seats were comfortable as always. Volvo still makes the best seats in the biz, but these were nice, no doubt. i for one do not like the extremely busy 9-3 dash. too many buttons! the 9-5 has "GM-ized" the dash some, but for the complainers, i think its for the better. the only thing it lacks imo is the temp dispay for dual zones. the dials are easy to reach and read. i like it. i bet the NAV looks better--the pics i have seen looked better, imo. the drive was nice. i am always amazed at how Saab's 4 cylinder engines put out. always could add more power, but the 260 is plenty for passing and needed fun. the steering wheel is good.

back seat always could use more room, but again, plenty for the class and size of the car. i love the car colored door-handles. i hate the black ones, and i am glad the 9-5 doesnt have the black plastic piece running the side and back of the car much like the 9-3 has.

overall i was impressed. i am 25 and will soon be in the market for a new car. i must admit i am after the Lucerne right now...of all things--a Buick for a 25 year old, but the new 9-5 does appeal to me. its an odd bird. always has been and still is, just less odd.
    You know, I really get tired of the GM/Saab talk. Hey guys, platforms are platforms. The 9-3 and 9-5 are Saabs.
    The 9-2 and 9-7 we know is rebadged, but every manufacturer has done this since the 1940's. Maybe your not familiar with the cars like Camaro and Firebird?
    Ford owns jag, same tired post there, GM make a Vette, nobody bitchn there? Ford makes the GT, no bitchn there. But you talk about a 20-40K car and everybody pinches their pennies thinking they can drive a Malibu and get the ride of the new 9-3 combi V6 turbo. If you like it, buy it
    GM will have the new Camaro out in 28 months, you won't [non-permissible content removed] about it either. If thats the platform for the new Saab 9-5 will you [non-permissible content removed]? GM saved Saab, so there would be no Saabs left. Plenty of work for Sweedes and Germans cause of GM. Saab will outlive all of us, either drive one, drive something else, but please, we all know the corporate structures. Hey I took a bath on GM stock, took a batch on 4 Saab retained value vs a Honda Accord, but I sure enjoyed my time behind the wheel. PS, the NSX is sooo old, you need to try a GM Vette for half the price and twice the performance. New NSX next year maybe.
  • deacane1deacane1 Member Posts: 2
    I bought a 9-5 Sportwagon after reading the good reviews in Consumer Report. It rated highly with only the Acura TL and Lexus ES300 getting the same high marks; yet neither of those companies make a wagon. We love the wagon so far; unfortunately too much because we are WAY WAY over on the lease mileage. So far so good. No sob stories here.
  • bahamamoebahamamoe Member Posts: 1
    I had a 900 turbo in 1990. it was a great car which unfortunatly was crushed by a tractor trailer. I bought a new 9-5 in august. Its an arc with harmon kardon stereo. We had to remove the radio for some service and it is labeled panasonic on the back. Its performance is mediocre. The engine runs well. paddle shifters are a joke, fuel economy is good, suspension is a farce. The car bottoms out in road dips. It handles like a boat. No driver feedback. Mushy ride. very dissapointed....Captain mike
  • ort11ort11 Member Posts: 4
    Hi: I have read the last few posts and as an many Saab owner would like to post a couple of thoughts.

1) I think the 9-5 platform (1999-present) (not the new ones, have not tried one yet) is one of the best platforms out. Resonable (fairly) in price, power, performance, etc. I have a 1999 9-5 V4 auto and manual and I like them both. Problems that I have seen are the displays (have gone though about 4 of them in our three 9-5s (other is a wagon v6). Yes, Saab did replace one for free after I compained, a bit on the phone with Saab USA, one other was under warrenty, but not the other two (found cheap on ebay).

2) The V6 GM engines I would simply say away from. I have a 1995 9000 V6 that the timing belt failed and took the engine with it. Hard to understand interference engines in a car like the 9000 when they had the v4 turbo available. Now I am not sure what I am going to do the 9000. If I had known at the time it was a GM engine, I would NOT have purchased the car and held out for the v4 version.

3) We brought our 2001 v6 9-5 wagon in for 60k service. This include the "free" timing belt replacment. The dealer tried to "scare" me into also replacing the ideler pully and a few other items during this change that would have cost $800 more, saying that the mechanic said that the dealer rep said that there are seeing issues (I have seen other costing from $400-$1200 for this). Saab corporate HAS to look into this practice and let us v6 owners know if this is a real problem or not. It seems like Saab / GM does not want to own up to a v6 timing belt issue and can say "I told you so" if the v6 belt fails and you don't get the $800 service (just like the one did in my 1995 9000). I am really debating whether to sell the V6 wagon for a v4. My take right now, just stay away from the v6 Saabs.

Other issues I have seen is the DI in one of my 1999s. I just lost a serpinine belt idler bearing in the other 1999 (130k miles though).

Anyone know when the DI recall is really going to happen? I can just see us getting stuck with the wagon when one or both of the DIs fail.

Again, Avid Sabb owner of the 9-5 platform. Would not purchase any of the new models, will have to look at the new 9-5 platforms and decide then.
    Since 99 we have the same 9-5 platform on the Saab.
    I had a 99 SE V6, only one service visit other than scheduled maint in three years (lease). One of my favorite cars. Have a 02 Aero Wagon. Like the 4 Cyl more, 30 mpg @ 70mph on the highway. 22 mgp @ 82 mph on highway. Take off the traction control, put on the sport mode and this car will burn rubber. The above poster who saw the panasonic sticker, on the Harmon stereo, that is the CD drive, not the stereo. I know audio way better than cars.
    Many CD "drives" are panasonic, very good drives by the way. Harman makes JBL (james b. lansing), Infinity, Harman Kardon, Clarion, Mark Levinson, etc., so when your buddy in his Lexus brags about his Mark Levinson sound system, tell him you have the same amp in your Saab, different logo. Refer to my earlier post to learn how to boost your amp in your Saab amp, the manual is now been wrong for 5 years for every 9-5 and 9-3 owner. What a shame that the amp is set at 32% of the power level from the factory and no directions on how to boost it. 98% of Saab owners don't ever get to enjoy the nice unit they have in their car. This unit will crank!

As far as safety, I don't know what car is safer, but if it is a Saab, they sure and the hell aren't telling anyone unless you dig deep or visit a dealership. Then again, I like having a car that I don't see five others just like it on the road, so its really no big deal to me, plus I dumped the GM stock after getting rocked this past year.
  • minarets1minarets1 Member Posts: 49
    could you give us the post number with that info to boost the amp? please and thanks!
    You can try using the Search This Discussion feature. It's located right above the first post and just below the last post on this page. :)
  • shirljacksonshirljackson Member Posts: 1
    Saab still makes great cars. I have had six of them, have four 9-5's right now: 2-1999; 1-2001; 1-2002. They are great cars, I love them. There is only one problem: GM. They are up to their old tricks when it comes to warranty and any customer service. Once a customer buys a Saab or any GM car, they become a legal liability in GM's eyes, and are treated as such. So here I am, the owner of four 9-5's, and treated like a pain in Gm's rear. I even took a couple of problems to Saab.Usa, to the president of Saab, a Ms. Kelly (hyphenated) something or other. She replied with two form letters, both obnoxious and mundane in content--and no help. I was as much as told that my problems were tough "%$#^&), and it really didn't matter to her if I bought more saab's or not. Said to resolve with with my local dealer and gave me a toll free number for customer service. So I called Saab customer service. Might as well have peed in the wind. First I asked the lady who answered if she could speak slower and more clearly, since I couldn't understand her accent. She was insulted that I could not under stand her English, which turned out to be not English at all but some derivative.... I really tried to understand her, just couldn't. I finally did understand that she wanted me to talk to my dealer. I asked if she had ever been to a saab dealer (she hadn't). I asked if saab reps ever went to my local saab dealer and tested them on even basic saab knowledge. The answer was no. I told her the truth: my local dealer had such a small knowledge of saab's that I had already forgotten more than the dealer knew. She got huffy and said she refused to be insulted (I think that's what she said),and said she would hang up if I didn't change my tone of voice. So I changed my tone of voice, told her that her status of minor bureaucrat at GM gave her no instant respect and if she couldn't earn respect she didn't deserve it. She got even more insulted, so I said please let ms. Kelly (whatever her name is) know that her Saab division of GM should abandon the slogan "Born from Jets" and adopt this slogan: Saab: "great cars, born of a stupid Company" (how they can be so stupid and build great cars is truly a mystery). Will I buy any more Saabs? What do you think? ssjackson. Reno.
  • dabeasdabeas Member Posts: 8
    I’ve been a loyal Saab customer since 1969. In that time I’ve owned four Saabs. A 1969 - Saab 96 V4, a 1978 - Saab 99, and 1987 and 1995 - Saab 900s. I traded in the 1978 at 163,000 mi., the 1987 at 247,000 mi. and I’m still driving the 1995, 203,000 mi. and counting. All were new, 2dr coupes with 4 cylinder Saab engines and manual transmissions. In thirty-six years I have never had a major engine repair. A couple of clutches, a couple of transmission seals were the worst engine related issues. Yes, I’ve suffered thru a fair share of problems - seatback cables, seat cushion heaters, alternators, water pumps and the ubiquitous “serpentine belt”. Overall, I would have to rate my satisfaction as very high. I’ve always held the opinion that as much as I’d like to be driving a new car, I’d rather have years of no car payments as long as I could live with the “reliability“ factor. Yes, I do think that the overall quality of the product has declined since GM acquired Saab. (Our local dealer, who had sold Saabs for twenty-five years, finally sold his franchise after GM squeezed the profit margin, to a point where he couldn’t make any money on a sale, and hassled him on unsold inventory.) But from what I’ve seen of the early reviews of the ’06 9-5 I wouldn’t hesitate to continue my allegiance to Saab automobiles.
  • ort11ort11 Member Posts: 4
    Well, the posting is #1982, and must only work on the HK version. This peaked my interest becuase I had fooled with the settings for a custom phone cradle that I had made and integrated for my treo 600.

There is a start setting for the regular audio and one for the telephone setting. I had to set the phone start settting on max so when I switch to telephone mode if was loud enough.

I have the non-HK (Pioneer I think) and the start setting is indeed the start setting and not the gain. I tried 00 for start and 25 for start and confirmed and then cranked the vol, it was very close to the same.

Hopefully you HK users can use the gain setting to blow out some speakers.
  • geojoegeojoe Member Posts: 2
    I have the same problem with my 9-5 year 2000. 4 cyln. wagon and the dealer is no help. I would really appreciate any help you can give me. My message is no. 938 in the Saab wagon forum. geojoe