Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Saab 9-5 Sedan

Comments

• nelsoncmnelsoncm Member Posts: 103
    So, in hot weather, do the non-ventilated Saab leather seats get all hot and sweaty? Just wondering. I've had the ventilated before, and they rock, but might skip it this time around if I can get some feedback. Thanks.
  • dfinnegandfinnegan Member Posts: 1
    I have a set of four Ronal 16" wheels with very nice Nokian Haka snows mounted. The tires were used one season and very lightly at that. They came off a 2002 9-5 Aero.

They are listed for sale on ebay w/ itme # 260034202104

Nokian Haka Sipe
    215/55 R16 97H XL
    ExtraLoad M+S

Ronal Wheels
    LV6755.05
    7.50Jx16H2ET35
    looks to be 7.5" wide w/ 35mm offset
    I think the bolt patter is 5x110 (from inet search)
  • agreenbergagreenberg Member Posts: 15
    I have a year 2000 base 9-5, auto transmission, with 72,000 miles on it. I am trying to figure out what my annual maintenance costs are likely to be over the next three years. Anybody have an educated guess? Thanks in advance.
  • denveraerodenveraero Member Posts: 3
    Ordered a 2007 9-5 Aero, which is supposed to be delivered any time to Denver from Oct. 9 to early Nov. As a longtime Saab fan, and former owner of a 1996 900 SE (great car), I am of course on pins and needles waiting for the day I roll out of there in the fusion blue/parchment combo. The dealership tells me I will be the first 2007 owner in Denver.

I had to special order the manual tran, because apparently no one likes them anymore. Will it be built the way it is supposed to? Will they tighten the clamps on the radiator hoses this time? Will the upgraded suspension be there? The excessive body roll was the chief reason I have been waiting since 2000 and watching to buy. I hope my reasoning is sound: Still a great motor, I'll take the 4 cylinder, thank you, and though a mature line, this should be about the time they've got it right. I don't expect Saabs to be as reliable as Toyotas, but I don't want to spend all my time and money in the repair shop.

Speaking of Toyotas, my girlfriend didn't hold her nose when I drove up for the first time in my 1991 Toyota that has been kind of a back-up, around town car, but won't die type of thing. And she has been wonderful and practical and loved me despite no hot car ever since. I look forward to that first night when I drive up in the Aero to take her to dinner; and we will roll a little differently.

First trip: The whole length of New Mexico's deserts. My old 900SE got up to 145 mph, without breathing hard, on an isolated highway. Wonder what this one can do?

BTW: Can anyone recommend a bicycle rack? I was thinking of the behind the back bumper type. Thanks.

PS: If you're wondering what happened to the 900, my ex drove it head on at 70 mph into a Ford Explorer. Totaled both vehicles, of course. She walked out with a small bruise. (Thank goodness the other driver was uninjured as well.) Go Saab. In safety.
  • zoozeekzoozeek Member Posts: 32
    I have a 2005 9-5 Arc Wagon. I just picked it up from the dealership for the fourth time (in one year) for a recurring problem: there's a "clicking" or "popping" when steering, both felt through the wheel and heard... each time the dealership fixes it, but it comes back... they've changed or re-aligned the steering column, and changed something with the wheels... now, the manager is telling me that other 9-5s have the same problem and there's nothing he can do about it... any advice? has anyone else experienced this problem?
    Folks, my Aero came in and have driven it a little. Quite frankly, I am amazed. My expectations have been surpassed by far. I'll give a more thorough report as I drive it more, but oh my gosh. What a shame if GM shuts this line down. My friend who drives an Audi A-6 was very impressed after driving it.

Everything about this car has been improved. I almost miss the head snapping, turbo whistling, torque steering 900 SE I previously had. They have smoothed most of that stuff out, and the Aero suspension tuning is far better than the 2t test driver. I'm glad i waited until this year. The cornering is superb and the secondary acceleration downright frightening. I had to special order the manual tranny, and glad i did. It supposed to be a bit quicker than the auto. The clutch is much easier on your leg; the old one tended to be stiff to compress. Suspect this new one is hydrolic? :) so far so good!
  • bcoolbcool Member Posts: 59
    Do you still have them?
  • sidvsidv Member Posts: 64
    Did you mean the 2.3T 9-5 test driver, not the "2t"?

After a fairly negative experience with my '04 9-3, I find it hard to believe but I am considering an '07 9-5 2.3T because everything else seems so overpriced or has other issues such as lack of convenient dealers. The 9-5 is a car I actually like, despite reservations about a few dated interior elements, and research seems to suggest that (most) 9-5s are more reliable than 9-3s.

What specifically is better about the Aero suspension? I was planning to avoid it because I've heard it's rather harsh and I don't care about any marginal gains in cornering at the expense of ride quality.
  • nelsoncmnelsoncm Member Posts: 103
    well, here's the thing. The new saab 9-5s are basically all based on the old Aero's. Remember when they had the Linear, the Arc and the Aero versions of the 9-5? (Pre 2006) Now they're essentially all aero's, but they don't call them that. For more $$$, you can get the "aero package" (previously called the "sports package"), which drops the chassis a whole 10mm and tightens the suspension. And you get the extra plushy seats with optional cooling fans(though to me they seem overstuffed.) But I think the 9-5 is already sporty enough, sits low enough and rides tight enough for my taste. But that's just me. I'm on my second 9-5 wagon, and I don't even especially like the way they drive (too rough, not enough storage for your stuff), but when you compare them to the other wagons out there on the market (volvo, vw, bmw, etc.), Saabs are a good bet. My 02 had very few problems, only 2 of a mechanical nature in 4 years.
  • mjp4mjp4 Member Posts: 1
    Hi. Did you ever get a response to your questions? I have a 2002 9-5, approx. 65k miles, and am having the exact same problems. I usually just let my car "warm up" for 2 minutes before I drive, but I'd rather get it actually fixed. Did your friend get her Saab fixed and, if so, how?

Thanks!
    i think this decision of yours depends on what you like, but i was not satisfied with the tightness of the 06 9.5 2.3 T, nor the braking response, for some reason my 07 aero seems to brake better than the test driver. i would much rather have the "harsher" ride that the aero package gives, tho it doesn't seem harsh to me. responsive, yes. i love how it sits lower and the seats are very much worth the extra (didn't get the cooling fans) they are very comfy and keep you right in there on corners. performance is a big deal to me and i am estatic about this car. still surprising how many oohs and aahs the fusion blue paint and smart parchment/aero interior treatment i get from audi, bimmer and cedes drivers.

for me, i got a good performance sedan that has enough room for 4 adults (and golf clubs) for $15,000 less than the competition. pricewise this car compares well with the 300 series bmws and a-4s, or starter cedes, but those cars are too small.

because they're not selling so many of these, i can be unusual, even unique, at the golf club parking lot, filled with the aforementioned. this car is a gem and having no problems with it yet. an unloved asset.
  • guestguest Member Posts: 770
    The way to go is a 2005 9-5 Aero with 16k miles fully loaded including rear heated seats, rain sensing wipers, and a rear spoiler for $22,995. Just picked mine up this week from a Lexus dealer, as it was traded in for a 2007 Lexus. Still has 2 1/2 years left on factory warranty. Perfect condition in and out. Only thing missing is the new car smell. But to save over 10k from new, I don't mind one bit.
  • pearson244pearson244 Member Posts: 16
    My dealer recommended turning key to "On" but not to "Start", let chime ring three times, then turn to "start". Worked on my 00 Arc, now I will get to test on my 02 Arc. Both are V-6. Do you have 6 or 4 banger?
    I always run Premium but not sure if that matters.

J. McNeil 2002 Arc, Maine
  • gra1656gra1656 Member Posts: 4
    I was looking at 02 Aero today and couldn't really tell if it had the Xenon headlights. They didn't look as blue as I remember. Do all 02 Aeros come with the Bi-Xenon headlights? If not, can I change out the bulbs to be Xenon instead of regular halogen? I saw that the option was only $219, so I assume it would be just the bulbs. By the way, the one I am looking at is Saab Certified, with 49k miles and they are offering at $16400. Sounds like a good price to me, but would like to know what you old saab fanatics think. As far as the leather, the seats are very soft and supple, but does the leather wear out quickly on these Saabs? I noticed not wear, but some irregularities in the back seat, almost like the leather is coming off the cushion itself. Any solutions if this is the case? Any other problems as far as the 2002? Otherwise, I thought the car was great very tight with no rattles when driving. Thanks in advance.
  • peterson33peterson33 Member Posts: 24
    I have a 2002 9-5 Aero. I love it. At stop signs I hate it. That turbo 4 banger is amazing. Push the sport mode button and stomp on the gas and it really goes. But they probably sell about as many automatics in Europe as we sell manuals here. It's a popular car in Europe, not here. Why? It shakes like a cheap piece of junk at stop signs. Get ready to put it into N every time you stop. If it were a manual you would do that - with an auto they say don't. In N it does not shake as much.

So that is the big downside for me. The upside is that I get about 26 miles per gallon. But that is on premium so it's really not that great. The emissions are probably low - that's a plus. Yeah, it is a rough ride. But it's fun when you push it.

So why do I love it. I'm not your average Joe Shmoe and neither is my car. It dependable - almost no problems. It's fun, comfortable, safe and a good deal.

My Aero has the Xenon lights. I looked at my sticker and it does not mention Xenon so I think it is part of the "touring package" option on my car, or I just missed it. Seems like the leather is holding up good on our car.

I'd buy it again.
  • gra1656gra1656 Member Posts: 4
    Just got it this evening. There are a few minor issues with dings and paint and stuff, but the dealer said they would take care of it. I can't wait till all of the touching up and other things are done. Should look great-black. It drives amazing. Fastest car I have ever owned. I need to be real careful.
  • kararowburykararowbury Member Posts: 5
    I need help knowing what tires to buy for my car. The one's I have are really bad, but I dont want to put some cheap tire on this nice car. My husband is not currently home and I dont want to get ripped off. Please let me know what they recommend or is a good performance tire for this car. We bought it used in houston are now in Kansas with no saab dealer around. ;)
  • ffb13ffb13 Member Posts: 181
    well, after 5 years i am told that i now have a dot mandated 8 year unlimited mileage warranty on my 9.5 aero due to a faulty engine that may seize at any time .

but ,had the same happen with the dic cassette and when i went in to get it replaced i was told that the dic on my car was ok ,it was , but the other one i brought in which was the oe on my car and which i replaced at 47,000 miles was in fact in the recall list and had to be replaced but because it was not in the engine ,tough luck.

so ,some letters to the dot and the dealer and saab and no word ...................

maybe a lawyer will help . but ...why bother , maybe i will just go to lexus or infinity next.
  • crestonavecrestonave Member Posts: 209
    I don't know what tires are currently on your car. I own a 2003 Saab 9-5 Arc with a 3.0 turbo V6. The original Pirelli's wore out pretty fast and I replaced with Yokohama AV 4's that I ordered from tirerack.com. I am very pleased with the Yokohama's. My experience may be different from yours so you will have to do your own research and make your own decision. You might want to visit tirerack.com for their suggestions and then price the tires locally for comparison purposes. Good luck.
    I purchased this car as a "demo" from my local Saab dealer. Car had about 8k on it. I currently have approx 48k on the car and I love it! No major problems. I have had the car serviced at the dealer since I've owned it (first three year's scheduled maint was included). The recommended oil change interval is 10k miles as I understand it, but I change the oil at the dealer (synthetic) every 5k or 6 months for around $50.
    I've had a radio problem (dealer replaced same day) and a problem with the driver's seat memory module (dealer replaced same day) as well as the info display (again, dealer replaced same day). The car is fast and handles like a dream. I did wind up replacing the original Pirelli tires with Yokohama AV 4's at about 35k. I love the heated seats (don't use ventilation much) and the heat and air are very powerful. I also have rain sensing wipers on the car which are awesome. The car is still under factory warranty (to 50k)

I can't comment on the 2.0 or 2.3 litre engines. I'm just sorry that they no longer make the 3.0 V6. I run only premium in the car and get around 18mpg in mostly local driving. I'm not sure I'll buy another Saab but only because I don't think I'd be comfortable with the smaller block. I may be old fashioned but I think those engines are undersized for what they're asked to do, which may make them more prone to problems. When I'm ready for another car it might be time for a Lexus 300 or 350. In the mean time I'm very happy with my Saab!
  • peterson33peterson33 Member Posts: 24
    Our car with "summer" tires. In North Carolina there are a few days a year that you should not drive with summer tires. It would have been nice to have been told that when I bought the car. Having lived most of my life in the North East I always used all season tires.

At about 22,000 miles I swapped out my orig equip Michelins for 4 Sumitomo HRT all season tires. They cost about $620 from Sears. There are some nice things about Sears... Open on Sat, good warranty, rotate and balance for free. I have had some problems with them so they are not great... just convienient and they always have tires on sale.

I have an Aero so the Sumitomo HRTs are probably less expensive for your car. The Sumis came with a 40k warranty and now I don't need to worry about snow tires. For all season tires I am happy with the performance/comfort.
  • bcoolbcool Member Posts: 59
    I have Bridgestone Potenzas in mine. They've lasted a while and ride very nicely. Check out the Tirerack.com for reviews on tires to help you decide. In fact, I brought their price in to my local tire dealer, and they met it. Saved a bunch of dough. :)
  • markianmarkian Member Posts: 17
    I am leasing a SAAB 9-5, 2003 linear which is coming off lease at the end of the month. It will cost me approximately $19,000 Canadian to purchase it. I was thinking of purchasing the car as an additional vehicle for my kids. I am looking for any information on what it is like to purchase a 4 year old Saab with 65,000 km in terms of repair frequency and cost and what depreciation I should expect over the next two years. My next question is would you consider a the two year warranty for approximately $2,500 which will only be available until the vehicle hits 100,000 km. Saab advised me that after 6 years there will be no warranty on the vehicle.
    KBB says your car in excellent condition in my zip code is worth 17750.Not too out of line, I suppose. Maybe you should make them an offer and see what they say. As to the warranty, is it being sold by the dealer? Is it bumper to bumper? Do you have to pay for it all up front? Is it transferrable in case you decide to sell the car for some reason? I personally would not buy a third-party warranty. What's been the repair history on the car so far? Reliable?
    If so it's probably not a bad do, especially if your kids will be using it, because of the excellent safety ratings that Saabs get.
  • markianmarkian Member Posts: 17
    The car has been flawless except for the first six months that we leased it. The warranty is being sold by the dealer, but I will doublt check that the warranty is not from a third party. That is a great idea to check if the warranty can be transferred. Thank you for your advice.
    If you're going to have the car serviced at the dealer than I think that whatever warranty he sells you will be fine. I can't imagine him not honoring it. By "third party" I meant one of these companies that sells warranties, mostly operating on line.

Good luck whatever way you decide to go.
  • stmssstmss Member Posts: 206
    I bought my 01 9-5 at the end of its 3 yr lease. I did not get any additional warranty (still had 1 yr left on original warranty). Sold it about a year and half later with 92,000 km (off warranty at that time) - no problems with the car post warranty and no serious problem while under warranty. When I bought mine, the dealers used prices were typically a few thousand higher than my residual price.

The only advice I have is to watch the depreciation - depending on where in Canada you live. If you plan to buy and keep the car long term then it is likely a good decision - you know the history and what comparable car are you going to get for $19K with such low mileage - none I bet?

As I miss my Saab, I have been on the lookout for another 9.5 wagon (preferaby aero, but not new) and have seen a couple 2002 linear wagons for under $20k (one with 50,000 kn, one with 80,000). But used prices vary widely across the country.

BTW, I sold my 01 linear sedan in spring of 05 for $16,000 with 92,000 km (no tax). A fair price compared to the market.
  • 3rddeg3rddeg Member Posts: 1
    I am interested in purchasing my first SAAB due to it's safety record. Can you tell me if you think this is a good deal. 2003 9-5 with 41,000 miles $15,900.
    From my untrained eye it appears to be in Excellent Condition.
    Available at a dealership and is Certifiable for an additional $1,000. However, this will only give me an additional 22 months on the warranty.

Thanks,
    3RDDEG
  • jscottkjscottk Member Posts: 13
    I have a 2000 Saab 9-5 that is possibly in need of a ABS Control Module. The dealership quoted me a price of $2,500.00. It seems that I can get a used, or possibly refurbished one for between $200-$300.

Labor cost for installation is $300.

It seems worth trying a used or refurbished part.

Does anyone have any recommendations? I'd greatly appreciate some advice.

Thanks,

Scott
  • pearson244pearson244 Member Posts: 16
    What model is it? If it is the ARC or and Aero, I would consider it a good deal, although I would go with the warrenty. A Linear, well, IMO, not quite as nice. Let me know what you decided. Both ARC and Aero's that year came with ventilated seats, nice feature. Look for Touring package too, with Xenon lights, back-up sensors and auto window wipers. My experience is dealers don't seem to charge any more for the Touring Option, and it is nice. ;)
  • wleibewleibe Member Posts: 1
    I can't speak for Saab's but I had a similar problem on my GMC Sierra. The ABS control module went out and the dealer wanted $700.00 for a new one and $700 to put it in. I decided to try and fix it myself.
    1. The car ran fine without it.
    2. I didn't have to deal with any brake lines. It was an electric only module so it was easy to remove.
    3. I fixed it myself. One of the FET's inside of the control module went bad. I ordered a sample from the vendor and put it in. (The part was probably $2.50 but it was not available.) I put it back together and tested it out. Works great and the ABS light went out. Bottom line is your average TV repair man could have fixed it. I would go with the refurb. Mine has been working since 2002.

-Wendel
  • tourney9000tourney9000 Member Posts: 2
    The break lights and turn signal lights work, they are not mounted on the trunk lid. The reverse lights and second set of brake lights on the trunk lid do not work. I replaced the bulbs. The only thing I have recently done is remove the fuse for the security system. This system was not working properly, alarm going off by itself. Any ideas on why the 4 bulbs on the trunk lid would not work?
    Thanks Wendel - I'm going to follow your suggestion and have someone look at the module for shorts, as opposed to replacing the whole unit.

Thanks again.....
    I have recently took my car to get an oil change and the battery tested.. had that done, got the new battery/.put gas in it after two weeks( have been gone) and as soon as I started the car up .. the check ingine light started to blink and the car started to putter! what is wrong with this car>????taking it to the shop AGAIN.. for the six time in six months! I had a loose wire for the wipes, the crank ensor replaced, a box thingy, new tires, new brakes, and now this! will it ever end??? :cry: :sick:
    As for the check engine light after a fill-up. A loose gas cap can cause this, oddly enough.

Scott
  • saabgirlsaabgirl Member Posts: 184
    Incidentally, while in ME we saw lots of older SAABs but the Official Maine State Car, the one that replaced the SAAB, is clearly the Suburu.

My observation, too. The Saabs tend to be pre-GM takeover and the appeal of the Subie are the full-time AWD, durability and availability. My brother in law, who owns a farm up there, once used a Subie as a field bomb to haul veggies from his fields to his roadside stand. He removed the rear of the roof with a saw. Lasted for years. But the State Car O' Maine is still the ancient American pickup with at least one fender a different color than the rest of the vehicle. In the seat are a couple of gents who will inexplicably stop in the road to peer at something in the distance.
  • tylerhugtylerhug Member Posts: 1
    Hi there
    New to the forum.
    As far as I can tell, no one has posted a reply/suggested solution or cause to this query. I have the same issue. Could it be the switch?
    If so, where is the switch located?
    I have checked the fuse and the bulbs - both seem fine.
    Any other ideas?
    First and formost looking at this .. I am wondering if anyone even reads this but me! oh well, Once again I have my baby back, she is well but a moody and unpredictable car if I ever had one... the di system went out and like most of us woman she is exspensive! lol... but i love her so I close my eyes and hand over the money to a man who knows my name but i dont know his I just know her can fix her and give her back to me after I have worn her out... ohhhhh wait, this is coming arcross all wrong! oh well, im a girl so I CAN WRITE IT.. besides who reads these anyways ..lol :P
    It could be just a loose wire that is not connected .. like my wipers and then when i changed the battery my power seat started working... good figure, strange but true
    hope that helps...
  • saabgirlsaabgirl Member Posts: 184
    I received my May issue of Car & Driver in the mail today, and it includes a comparo of five $25K "funsters." (Mazda Speed3, VW GTI, MINI, Nissan Sentra and WRX -- that's the order C+D ranked them.)

After reading the article, what struck me was the thought that for $25K, a buyer with some wits about him or her self, could pick up a Saab 9-5 of few years and miles for the same amount. My '99 9-5 now has 120K on the odometer and is still going strong. But I've been of the "what if" frame of mind and, after perusing the $25K field, I'm inclined to watch for a 9-5 Aero, 2.3, manual, coming in off lease.

For a solid, safe, economical, fun drive that will serve me well for many years, it's still a hard choice to beat, I think.
  • sweetseetsweetseet Member Posts: 9
    Its in the harness. 9-5 are famouns for fraying harnesses on the trunk lid. Fray from repeated opening/closing.
  • sweetseetsweetseet Member Posts: 9
    9-5 is a good car provided its properly maintained. Parts can be pricey and labor if done through a dealer. However, the dealer is the best place to repair because they know the vehicle and save you money in long run. I had saab and service local and spent more money trying to figure problems out that dealers fixed easy. I will not take her to anyone other than my dealer now. You should only purchase ext wrty through dealer beacuse they must honor even if ext wrty goes out of business. Ext wrty is generally good but depends on what level you buy (gold, silver, etc.)

Good Luck.
    I agree. My trunk light lids went out and my backup sensors went nuts and it turned out to be the wiring harness. No problem since dealer replaced.
  • ekcekc Member Posts: 32
    Do all SAAB dealers offer the same extended warranty, or each dealer has its own favorates?
    I don't have an extended warranty on my Saab but my experience is that dealers offer only one extended warranty, which is the one offered by the manufacturer. There can be different levels of coverage available, but all from the manufacturer.

Extended warranties are expensive and in fact it's not impossible that a dealer will make more on selling the extended warranty then he will on selling the actual car.
    Taking my new/used Saab in for it's 120K maintenance. I could take it either to my dealer or a very trusted general mechanic, Any opinions?
    Any idea where the car has been maintained in the past? If at the dealer, I think I'd stick with them, because if the car's lasted this long they must be doing something right.
    I guess 120k is a repeat of what is done at 60k?
    Yes, the car has been maintained at the dealership - and I have liked what dealings I've had with them. I'm also thinking that saving maybe a couple of hundred dollars might not be worth the piece of mind of knowing I'm getting SAAB mechanics, who know the car.

Thanks for the reply....

Scott
  • azjim66azjim66 Member Posts: 7
    My 2006 combi already is sporting a dime size ding :cry: that chipped the paint just right of the grill on the lower part of the hood. I was wondering if anyone out there has had success with stone deflectors / bras?? They are pretty tough to find for Saab's. Thanks

Jim