Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Saab 9-5 Sedan

Comments

• roxreps1roxreps1 Member Posts: 10
    I just recently assumed a 99' 9-5 lease. Lease assumptions in a best-case scenario is a great deal. The worst-case scenerio could be a nightmare, and a very expensive one at that. I've assumed quite a few leases over the years, and there are potential dangers for you, the original leasee. First, and most important... the original leasee (you) remains on the lease regardless of any assumption of the lease to another party. Simply, if the person that assumes your lease deceides to renage on lease payments (for whatever reason; death, bankruptcy, etc.) you are held responsible both financially and for physical damage.

The reason there are not more lease assumptions is that the original leasee can (potentially) be caught holding the bag. Traditonally, lease transfers occur within families, or with friends where everyone knows each other well.

Tread lightly my friend. Do as much as possible to assure that the person you're dealing with is credit worthy, honest, and is not looking to scam you.

Rox
  • dysfunct9dysfunct9 Member Posts: 10
    Wow, I didn't expect to get responses from potential lease "assumers;" I was just looking for information on where to advertise, etc. Thanks, Rox, for the info. I'll take it to heart. To bretfraz...LOL...actually, I will be getting quite an inexpensive car. Can anyone say Hyundai? Hopefully it'll only be for a few years--god help me. To anyone else who is interested-- I live in Los Angeles. Cheers!
  • bretfrazbretfraz Member Posts: 2,021
    OH
    MY
    GOD!

Seriously, good luck Dysfunct9. Hopefully you'll be back with us soon.
    Hey, I know I just told you to tread carefully with this lease transfer, but I've got someone in L.A. that's a candidate for your lease assumption, and she can act on it immediately. I've known her for five years and I work with her. She is gainfully employed, a homeowner, and has excellent credit. If you would like to pursue this further please contact me directly at roxreps@aol.com. This process should take about a week, two at the most (I just went through this with Saab Financial). In fact, I could tell you who to contact there, and what you'll need to complete this transaction.

Rox
    Thanks Rox... I sent you an email directly.
  • scj1000scj1000 Member Posts: 3
    This may be a stupid question, but is the "test brake lights" message supposed to appear every time you start the car. 2000 Saab 9-5 SE. I absolutely love this car!
  • dskidski Member Posts: 414
    Dysfunc... There is service for what your looking to do. I believe you'd find them at Swapalease.com. Maybe that service could help you avoind the pit falls of lease assumptions. Another possibilitiy is that they could swap you with someone who has the 9-3. That could save you the money you need and still provide you with a similar vehicle.

Good Luck
    Drew

PS. Unsolicited advice. NEVER lease car for the reason of obtaining something you could otherwise not afford to purchase. A huge percentage of lease customers will lease for that very reason.
  • smu1976smu1976 Member Posts: 110
    Recently saw some spy photo's of the new Saab 9-3
    in the Saab Club Nines Magazine. Looks great, with some similarity to the Lexus IS and the interior dash looks the same. The article states that the five door hatch-back, four door coupe, and convertible will be initially released at introduction but the article fails to say if its the 2002 model year. Does anyone know if the next generation 9-3 is slated for 2002? My lease is up on my 9-5 next year and would love to get into a 9-3 Viggen.
  • thorganthorgan Member Posts: 3
    scj1000,

yes, the "test brake lights" message is indeed supposed to appear every time you start the car.
  • joebogusjoebogus Member Posts: 6
    I'm contemplating a base model 9-5 and would like a 5 speed. The problem is is that the dealer has no 5-speeds in stock as they are very difficult for him to sell (Bay Area). He did mention that last September Saab had over 100 5-speeds sitting at the dock that they couldn't move, so September may be the time to get a good deal on one. It's just that it may be difficult to find one to test drive.

My question is, do any of you have the 5 speed? Do you like it? Have you been able to compare it to the automatic? I'm only interested in the standard 2.3t, not the Aero. The dealer does have Aero 5-speeds, but I'm afraid to drive one because I'd probably like it too much. :-)

Any thoughts or comments are appreciated.
  • bmwjoebmwjoe Member Posts: 136
    Joe,

I have a 2.3t 5-speed wagon and we love it. I suggest the dealer is snowing you. Lazy sales people can't sell 5-speeds. Shop around. If the dealer is on the up and up they will order one for you. Mine was worth a 2 month wait. I also got just the options I wanted and I was able to shop around for a bitchin' deal on Saab accessories.

Drive Safe,

Joe
    The real question is do you enjoy driving a 5 speed? If you do and you prefer them, you'll love the 9-5 with a 5 speed. Ours unfortunately is not a 5 speed since my wife doesn't like to drive them. But I certainly have driven them and they are wonderful to drive.

There should be plenty in inventory on the W. Coast so your dealer should be able to find you one quickly. He will be more motivated to sell from his inventory because it's easier. That would be unfortunate since his motivation should be finding you the car YOU want. How far are you from the next closest dealer? I've driven up to an hour to see and drive a car I wanted.

Good Luck
    Drew
    Just to clarify, the dealer did not say he couldn't or wouldn't get me a 5-speed, and in fact I think he'd be happy to find one. It's just that because of where they are located its difficult for them to sell 5-speeds, as everybody wants automatics. Therefore, he does not keep them on the lot. Also, I'm not adverse at all to shopping different dealers, and certainly will when it comes time for the "big event."
  • darandalldarandall Member Posts: 57
    Both headlights have burned out at 25,000 miles. Is this because they are also the running lights? Or is this another Saab quirk? BTW, they are actually not that hard to change as long as you do not have ham hands! New bulbs were $12 at auto parts store - my wife was astounded that I was able to perform this job!
  • ffb13ffb13 Member Posts: 181
    darandall----------
    the bad news is that they do burn out often.
    the good news is----but too late for you----that saab replaces them under warranty---labor included of course---they did mine anyhow.-------
    and,after the warranty runs out,just take the fuse out as was recommended in this forum to me a while ago.
  • mlgtx2mlgtx2 Member Posts: 4
    My wife and I purchased a 2000 Base 5spd in November. The car we bought had sat on the dealer's lot for at least 4 months. [See my post #327] We love our car. We have had no problems with it. It shifts quite smoothly and is fun to drive. I imagine that the 2001 models are a little quicker given the boost in HP from last year. If you like manual trannies [that makes me sound like I know what I am talking about:)] I recommend the Base 9-5.

John
    John,

Thanks for your post and the pointer to your previous post. This was more the type of information I'm looking for. I.e., how do you like the 5-speed.

I had never even thought about Saab until a friend of mine bought a 9-3. She recommended I go drive one, and I did. I was originally thinking 9-3, but my wife likes the larger size of the 9-5 (we have two kids, 3 and 6). Now, I'm rather obsessed with the 9-5 and in another 6 months or so hope to purchase the base model with the premium package and 5-speed.

What kind of price were you able to get on your model?

Kevin, aka joebogus
    Hey Joe,

I just found the Saab catalogue, and I'm a sucker for all this stuff, especially the carbon fiber dash panel treatment (very cool). Where are you looking for accessories, the Saab catalogue? Is there a better source for 'goodies' at a better price? whatta ya know?

Rox
    Yeah, I'd like to know myself if there's a way to get stuff outta the catalog at lower prices. I bought $400 worth of stuff right after I got my 9-5 and although I like it, everything was overpriced IMO.

Funny thing - I live literally down the street and around the corner from Saab NA. But they still shipped my stuff FedEx. I coulda rode my bike and picked up the items...... Guess no one reads addresses.
    Rox,

I don't know of any dealer that advertises a flat discount on all Saab catalog items. Call around a bit to dealers. My dealer, Fred Beans in Pennsylvania had a sale for 10% off. B&B Saab in California offers a discount. You can also try Meyer Saab in Iowa, info@meyersaab.com. They have been very good to me.

Drive Safe,

Joe
    Is anyone out there familiar with Saab aftermarket, chips, exhausts syts. etc. I'd like to know if there's a web site for Saab enthusiasts who crave "more".

Rox
    Rox,

Head over the www.saabnet.com They have lots of people that have done chip upgrades and sources for them,

Drive Safe,

Joe
  • phkckphkck Member Posts: 185
    Wondering what kind of "deal" this is: 2001 SE with about 7,200 miles sold thru SAAB dealer. Asking $32,995 delivered. Said they (3 cars) were bought thru a SAAB dealer only auction. They were from a rental car company.
    Any thoughts?
    Kevin:

We purchased the premium package also. We negotiated 31K for the car but also purchased $1700 worth of parts and accessories (spoiler, wood shift knob, tint, etc. etc. We ended up with about a 33k drive-out price. As far as liking the car, I love it but don't get to drive it very often since it is my wife's primary vehicle! She also enjoys it very much. For a 4cylinder it is quite peppy and it gets great gas mileage (at least 25/mpg)in the city.

John
    I have noticed over the past few months(December and February) that the Saab website has run specials where they waive shipping charges if you purchase in excess of a certain dollar amount ($150 or so). So you can factor in the sales tax savings, which in my hometown, Houston, is 8.25%. And I am almost certain that the webisite and the dealerships sell the items at the same prices. If anyone wants any feedback on accessories I'd be happy to comment. I went absolutley nuts when I bought my 9-5 last year. I even almost bought the exhaust upgrade but was talked out of it by my wife.

John

John
    John,

That sounds exactley what I'd like to get. 5-speed, premium package, and heated seats. At 31K, it sounds like you got it under invoice. Thanks for the info.

Kevin
  • gtwogtwo Member Posts: 1
    My wife and I are considering a 9-5 for our next car. Historically I have leaned towards a 6 cyl in any car. (memories of a Chevy cavalier, biretta & ranger I/I whose 4 cyl lost power as it aged) I have to say I was quite impressed with the Scab base 4 cyl. Torque/power and even at 70 mph it felt like it had more to give. Anyone out there have good or bad to say about their 4 cyl(not the AERO)?
    I've had my 9-5 / 4 cyl.(2.3) for about 2 months now, and I'm surprisingly satisfied with performance and power availabilty. In fact, in 'sport' mode, this car is a veritable rocket. Also, from what I understand, the 4 cyl. is a "Saab" engine, not a GM transplant like the 6 cyl. The 4 has been around for quite some time, and it's the more proven engine. If you read this forum long enough, you'll see that the verdict on the 6 cyl. is still out. Go with the 4 cyl.you'll love it, I promise.

Rox
    I've driven my 9-5 2.3 base model for almost 7 months now and have not since regretted my decision to opt for the 4 cylinder. I test drove both models and liked the 4 cylinder much better. The turbo, especially in "S" mode, is positively thrilling. You'll love it and will be thankful every time you're the first person in line at a red light.
  • fredsteinfredstein Member Posts: 1
    I have the 95 ES which was bought at the end of 1998 so it is a 1999 model. I used to have a buck with a 6 and now have the scab with the 4 cycle I don't miss the six especially when I get 35 mpg on the highway and combined, I hardly do any highway, I get 25 mpg. The sport mode really moves this car though it will cost mileage. The turbot drives the 4 so you think it is a 6. The only complaint, and not a real big one, is that when you step on the accelerator you get a bit more noise then I would like. Keep in mind that it is torque that will move you "off the line" and from what I have been finding from those who are into this sort of thing is that the torque at mid-range is the same for both the 4 and 6. Good luck with your decision.
  • glaxglax Member Posts: 10
    You'll also get more mpg, use regular gas and save a few bucks on insurance. I test drove 4 and 6 at length and definitely preferred the 4. Even opened the hood to make sure. Due to higher residual for 6, difference in lease cost was only $15 but I went with the 4.
  • educmaleeducmale Member Posts: 2
    a couple of wks ago, i test drove a vehicle from the local saab dealer. i ended up sigining a purchase order, and financing agreement, last saturday.

this vehicle is a 2000 9-5, 5speed, presumably new. between the test drive and the purchase, it was driven approximately 5-10 miles by the dealer, to figure out how to set the speed alarm to some number other than 0mph [making it buzz when the car was stopped....] he claimed the speed setting value [as opposed to the clear/set] could only be changed if the car was moving. that piece of mis-info was cleared up when i took the vehicle days later.

i took the vehicle last saturday, with approximately 75miles on the odomoter, and i drove the vehicle 500 yards, and noticed that i had trouble getting into 1st gear easily at a stop light,

i drove, home, then back to my office around the corner from the dealer [maybe 12 miles]

when i got into the car to leave my office, i could not put the car in reverse, nor could i get into any gear but 5th.

i had to move the car around our parking lot like fred flinstone, and drive over to the dealer 4 blocks from my office that afternoon.

i had owned the vehicle no more than a couple of hours. parked at the dealer, when i got out, there was a significant burning smell from under the car.

i have since been told by the dealer, that the part that failed, normally not stocked because it normally does not fail, was a socket/ball on the linkage.

i do not know what that is, but it's failure, and probable failing before i took the car or even before i saw it, is a serious concern to me. i am further concerned because both the salesperson and the sales manager, after speaking with the in-house saab mechanic, told me that the part fails when a valet or other driver does not shift correctly.

i can not confirm the nature of the part, as the dealer's mechanic claims to have returned it to saab, despite my request to see it.

now "repaired", my concerns are not alleviated. i would like to hear from you all precisely what it is that you all think caused this problem, and what can be done to alleviate my concerns.

please do not mis-understand, it is a comfortable car to drive. but that part is a piece of the drive train, and a part which should, in my mind, be of such design as to not ever fail. i notice, also, that post-"repair", the shift is stiffer.

if this piece of the linkage fails, clearly, i am not getting a "reputable" drive train. and that, after all, is the most important part of the vehicle.

i also notice that the sound, coming from the rear of the vehicle ["harmon speakers] is significantly dulled and softer that the sound from the front speakers.

this is noticeable when the fade is moved from mid to front to rear. it sounds as speakers might when they are "blown", tho i notice this characteristic on a 9-3 which i more recently drove, also.

the two speakers, up behind the rear passengers' outside ears sound as if there only produce thumpy bass sounds, with dull other frequency features. is this normal for this vehicle? the dealer has no idea.

thanks....hoping to read/hear your comments
    First, read your owner's manual and listen to the CD that came with the car. You will now be smarter than the dealer and 98% of the people who drive cars. You should learn what the car is suposed to do and not do.

Sorry to hear about the shift linkage. I have been mionitoring several SAAB lists for over a year. I have never heard of a shift linkage problem on a 9-5. Yours is a fluke.

Many people say the car sounds beter if you turn off the loudnedd in the stereo. It is in your manual.

Drive Safe,

Joe
    Speakers on rear shelf are for low end frequency. Balance should not be biased to the rear but to the front. This goes against what many people think but you will find that the most expensive custom sound systems do this. Their theory is that you don't sit at a live performance with your back to the stage.

I had a very expensive high end system installed in one of my vehicles. This is exactly how they configured: Sub Woofer for Low Frequency sound in the rear and full range speakers in front of listeners ears - not behind. Your speakers are fine. You'll just need to get used to fading more to the front speakers or a neutral fade position.

Best of luck with everything else.

drew
    The Scab 6 is purely Scab, with little CM input except deep pockets.
    The Scab 4 is also new, totally changed from the old Scab 4. Read the book Scab 9-5 A personal story by Adders Tun berg for more information and insight, quotes from page 107, We changed practically everything in the four cylinder engine, so much that it actually turned into a completely new engine program... we decreased the dimension of the valve shafts... metal alloys used in shafts....valve springs were made lighter and weaker...adding an extra spring to make it work...pistons were made lighter...and shorter...the connecting rods and bushingss , crankshafts, balance shats and the fly wheel were made lighter....new valve caps... As far as the six cylinder, this has no roots to GM, Pages 103 and 104 go into great detail on the first asymmetric V6 turbo and the Trionic engine control system. Both have proven to be good power plants over the past two years with no more or less complaints with either powerplant.
  • bg10bg10 Member Posts: 9
    As to the shift problem, I agree that is a freak, haven't heard of that before and definitely not a problem on my 2000 9-5 Aero. As to the stereo, there was something much further up in this discussion about how to turn up the gain. Check the owners manual, there are some adjustments that can be make like start volume or maximum volume, or whatever they call it (don't have time to look right now, off to Vienna in a few hours). You want to turn this up to 25 or 26 (factory set is 9), it will get very loud when you do this but come back down in a few seconds. Once this is done, the stereo will sound a whole lot better and the depth you are missing from the rear will be there.

Good Luck,

Brooks
  • educmaleeducmale Member Posts: 2
    the faulty part turned out to include a small ball joint at the end of a 1inch threaded bolt. it had come out of an aluminum linkage, into which it had been screwed. apparently, the aluminum part had not been threaded well and was replaced by the dealer. the threads on the steel bolt were sheared slightly towards the end. i found the ball joint screw on the ground a week after the failure, where the car had been parked before i noticed the shifting failure. i am not concerned now, but wondering about the maufacturing process at the sub who cast and threaded the aluminum linkage.

the mechanic described the shift linkage that attaches to the ball end of the bolt as being attached by 'snapping' it on over the ball. if correct, it strikes me as...well...an odd choice for the engineering design - not saab like? but....isn t it a gm transmission manuf. in europe?

as to the sound...i am still perplexed about the odd sound from the rear shelf speakers. after reading some comments, i went back, and sherlocked a bit. i do notice that if you sit in the back seat, the sound is normal and nice, with full sound coming both from the combined rear shelf and from the rear passenger door, low by the ankles. i never did want to move the sound behind my head, as a driver, nor do i turn the volume up way high. but that dull mid/high and thumpy bass coming from the rear shelf is not a traditional car sound. but it works. another intrigueing saab engineering quirk?
    Dear smu,

If your information is correct, I stand corrected. The more I tune into this forum, the more learn about my vehicle. By the way, where can I get my hands on this information?

All My Best,
    Rox
    I find all the negative comments about the 9-5 Harman/Kardon sytem interesting. Having formerly worked in the car audio business (no, not an installer), attending everything from sales trainings to sound-off's, and having several hi-end systems in my cars, I think that the H/K system is terrific. It's not a custom system but for an OEM set up it sounds very balanced and well-designed. It takes the Nakamichi system in a LS400 or the new Bose system in Cadillac's to significantly better the H/K.

To each his own, I guess..............
    I would have never known either, I purchased the book back a couple of year ago out of the Saab catalog. I've got the six, but a four would have satisfied me also. Have had two Saab 4's in the past with no complaints. You may want to leave Saab USA a request at their website. Though I left one asking about the year introduction of the new 9-3 and never got a reply. Your dealer also may be order you a copy.

The start volume on the stereo is not the starting volume of the sound level but the gain level on the amp. Hit the weather band, hold the button down, then turn on your stereo at the same time, then scroll through the menu for the start volume. Crank it up to around 25-28, wait five seconds and then it will return to orginal volume. This will give you twice the wattage, since the preset is at "9" , so when your pick up your car, your listening to the system at about 1/3 of the power, and the sub rarely kicks in. Note: If you have teens, and out of warranty time, you may want to leave it down at "9" and save the speakers.
  • 47074707 Member Posts: 12
    I'm hesitating between an Infiniti I30T and a Saab 9-5 with the 2.3T and automatic transmission. I've been a Saab customer once ( between 1987-92 , a 900S ) and was satisfied with the car except that I found that the car was wearing rapidly and that it was far less solid after 5 years. Another concern is the service. Here in Canada the Saab products are serviced by Saturn dealers and I wonder if the service will be up to par with the luxury definition of the 9-5. Would anyone rate the reliability of the 9-5 ( great, above average, average, poor ) for me considering your experience with the product. I've heard of problems with squeaks and rattles in the dashboards and a lot of niggling other problems. Saab has a spotty reputation for quality.I've heard also of wide variation in built quality. Some cars are OK but others are a real disaster. So, my biggest problems are with reliability and the possibility that the car's quality decrases rapidly with age. Of course, with the japanese product I'm expecting far less problems.... but I like the way the Saab drives...
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    ... administrative interruption.

Sometime in the next week or two, the name of this discussion will be changed dropping the "Part 6-6" (heh heh) designation.

Now that we have moved to our new platform, we no longer have a requirement to stop and restart discussions after a certain number of posts have occurred. Therefore, this discussion can be regarded as the permanent home for 9-5 conversation. The "part number" designations on all of our discussions will probably eventually confuse new members, so we will be gradually dropping them from the titles.

We'll also be altering original discussions in the Archives to differentiate between the first and the current.

I just wanted to give you a heads up - and by the way, if you are subscribed to this discussion, a name change will not affect your subscription.

Thanks.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans and Women's Auto Center Message Boards
    I might be fairly knowledgable about this comparison. I went to a 9-5 from an Infiniti QX4 and before that, a Nissan Maxima. The I30T was #2 on my list behind the 9-5.

I've found some QC things about the 9-5 that bother me - squeaks, rattles, a few odd things that detract from the "perfect car" image. Nothing major has gone wrong but after 5+ years in Nissan products I can say I'm not 100% thrilled with the Saab.

But driving it is completely different. I've never owned a BMW or Mercedes but I've been lucky enough to put some miles on them. I can say from personal experience that the 9-5 drives and handles with the best of them. And it's tons better than a Maxima/I30. A couple weeks ago I rented a brand new Maxima (6 miles on it). I put about 500 miles on it over 5 days. Now, I'm a huge fan of the Maxima and highly recommend it. But when I got home and hopped into the 9-5, it was a different experience. The Saab handles, steers, drives, and feels like a thoroughbred meant to be driven and enjoyed. I've never driven any Japanese car that felt like this except maybe a Q45 or LS400.

If you're willing to put up with a few quirks you'll love the 9-5. If the little things drive you nuts (and they do to some folks), then I'd stick with the I30T and not worry.

The two cars come from completely different worlds, I'm convinced.
  • 47074707 Member Posts: 12
    As long as they can figure out where the squeaks and rattles come from and cure them, I don't mind. The irritating thing is when you've got rattles in your new car and they stay with you for four years !!! Are the mechanics competent enough to work on the 9-5 ? A car is only good as the mechanic that works on it...
  • L8_ApexL8_Apex Member Posts: 187
    One of the benefits of the new software is the ability to modify the titles of existing discussions. In some cases this is not necessary or even desired by the original author or those frequenting the discussion. However, we no longer need to recreate discussion at 500+ posts so the "Chapter this..." or "Part that..." is no longer necessary. So... as part of a topic title cleanup, those portions of the titles are being removed. The respective original topic in the archives is simultaneously being modified so that confusion isn't caused while searching.

I'm also taking this opportunity to "more generalize" some topic titles to broaden their scope. For example, when the trim level, powerplant or transmission/transaxle option isn't pertinent to the comparison, I'm removing it for the purposes of making the topic applicable to the situations in which more buyers find themselves.

Thanks,

L8_Apex
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
    I've only had my 9-5 into the dealer once so I can't vouch for their competence. I don't get the same feeing about SAAB service as I did from Infiniti service. That doesn't mean they're no good, just not as focused, shall we say.

All the little issues I think can be fixed easily. It's just a bit disconcerting that the car needs this kind of service at all. Prolly not a big deal in the long run but it's a short term hassle.

I guess I'll live.....................
  • cblair10cblair10 Member Posts: 3
    I saw an ad today for a base 9-5, at $399 per mo./36 mos., with $3648.85 due at lease inception. I've periodically seen this offer for the base 9-5, and my question is: Is it likely that the dealer will lower the MSRP quoted ($37,765.00), thereby allowing a lower front-end payment? I haven't owned a Saab since a bad experience with a 1977 model, having loved a 1974 model I owned during college. Is the new 9-5 reliable?

Thanks for any help, advice.
  • vigorous1vigorous1 Member Posts: 15
    Cblair......in addition to your reliability inquiry here, you might want to check the boards at saabnet.com where Saab-dedicated boards convene. There's one for the 9-5.

I'm a 9-3 owner/driver and we've had no problems in 50K km.

But I'll let the 5-ers speak for themselves. They'd tell you their experience is the same as mine - zero troubles.

Cheers!
    It's doubtful that they'll lower the MSRP for a great subsidized lease deal. If you compare the deal to other cars with the same MSRP, you're paying roughly $200 less per month with the same down payment.

However, you might want to consider assuming the lease of someone else... which would get you a shorter lease term and only $500 down payment (to cover the lease conversion). I'm about to put mine on the market... 2000 model year, base 2.3, with luxury package and wood steering wheel... $364 per month, 5500 miles, 28 months left. Saab says I won't have a problem finding a customer since I got a great deal... and the person would get the car with very little out-of-pocket. Try leaseassumption.com... or give me a post! Hope this helps.

Anthony
  • gotnadsgotnads Member Posts: 19
    This is a question for you past owners of the smaller Saab.

I am just about to sell or trade my beloved 2000 VW Golf TDI 5 speed. My back was injured by my 5 year old son. Seems we were wrestling, and I thought we had stopped. He thought we hadn't. So when I laid face down on the bed he jumped on the middle of my back and herniated a disk. So, sitting and driving my Golf has become an excruciating experience. I can't comfortably shift gears anymore, and the shape of the seat does my back no good. I am wanting to get a Saab 9-3 (never owned a Saab before, but I have been a fan since the 70's) since I have found their seats to be comfortable. My question is, how do the base 9-3 drive with an automatic? Is it slow? Does it shift smoothly? What kind of gas mileage can I expect with mostly highway driving? Needles to say I have been spoiled with my Golf's mpg, which has hit over 65 mpg at times.

Thanks for your opinion.