Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Saab 9-5 Sedan

Comments

• damcnealdamcneal Member Posts: 11
    The car is a 9-5 4 cylinder. No ventilated seats. It should be delivered from the New Jersey port this week! Silver with charcoal leather interior.
    We received a $5,000 discount from SAAB (current July promo), as well as a $5,500 GM discount, and an additional $500 for being a current SAAB owner. So that reduced the price considerably. The residual is about $18,000. Payments are $393 including tax per month. With a 1.9% finance charge. Total due at inception is $1,099, which includes the destination, plate, and first payment. We got this same kind of deal in '99 for our 9-3; with both a SAAB discount and GM discount. It pays to be a GM family member! Too bad they don't make anything we are interested in.
    Guess I'm feeling better about not getting the C240. I just couldn't pass us this deal.
    Dee
  • surfgebsurfgeb Member Posts: 24
    I was quoted $400 (incl tax) with $0 down for 36 month lease for 9-5 base w/ Premium Package and full scheduled maintenance.
  • kerrymankerryman Member Posts: 9
    Far too many previous messages to scroll through. Situation: potential first time Saab buyer, ogling a '99 9-5 SE with only 12K on it. Great fun to test drive. Have seen the posts on gas tank "thunking" and ~40 mph stalling -- are these concerns still out there? Dealer asking 27K; with financing and moderate down payment, monthly cost will be around 400. Notice that new '01 9-5 SE's lease for about 430 -- thus, bottom line question: lease new, or buy a 99? Opinions gladly accepted. Thanks
  • bretfrazbretfraz Member Posts: 2,021
    I think $27K on a '99 is too high. Wholesale on a '00 SE with <10K is now $24K.

Get all the details on the car (color, exact miles, options, location, etc) and go to "Smart Shopper" conference and talk to Bill in Real World Trade In Values. He's in the biz and dispenses 100% straight-up honest info on wholesale values of cars. That way you'll have a good idea of what the dealer has into the car. You can negotiate from there.

Lease vs. Buy is also discussed at Smart Shopper. It really depends on your values and world view and stuff. Some people like a new car every few years and are not afriad of the limitations of leasing. Others love the idea of a fully paid car. It's really a personal decision.

Best of luck. I have a SE and love it. I'm sure you'll love whatever 9-5 you get.
    Bretfraz - thanks for the input. I'll check out the smart shopper site. Obviously, I can't get wholesale prices, but it is another info point that I can use. I agree entirely with the view that lease/buy decisions depend on what you want. I seem to have a resistance to not "owning" the car - i.e., building up equity, not worrying about what will constitute "normal wear and tear" and having the flexibility to sell the car at any time. Again, thanks. Kerryman
  • jackbaronejackbarone Member Posts: 6
    Has anyone seen any aggressive lease pricing on Aero's??
  • dskidski Member Posts: 414
    $27K sounds a little high for this car but you won't find many 99's with only 12K on the odometer.

As far as the thunking and stalling concerns. I have a 99 and have not experienced them. I'd raise the issue with the dealer and see if you can review the service history to be sure those problems have not been reported and how they've been resolved if so.

If you decide you want the 99, try to nogotiate a little more. Don't tip your hand that this is what you want. Make him compete with your other less expensive choices, make it up if you have to. Also, he has to compete with his own new car lease. He'll probably make more money selling you the 99 for less than the asking price vs. the $430 lease on the 01'. I'd even tell him that.

Best of luck. If the service history is clean, I'm sure your going to love this car.

Drew
    Thanks for the tip. I had actually called the salesman yesterday to say that I wasn't interested in the '99, in part because of the cost and questions about depreciating values. I told him that I saw a '01 9-5 SE at Carmax (used, under 15K miles - I forget exactly) for 29.9K! Today, he left me a message that "he talked with his manager" and they may have an '01 at or below the price we were discussing! I will call him back tomorrow and see what next steps I want to take (and to find out more about this '01 -- used or new?), but it definitely pays not to accept the first offer! Thanks again for the advice. Kerryman
  • jcthom4jcthom4 Member Posts: 24
    Any suggestions on the best way to reach a Saab "interested" audience?
    I posted on www.saabnet.com 2 days ago but have gotten few responses. I need to move rather quickly (bad stock market decisions and slow times at work :-(
    What has worked well for you?
    Appreciate any suggestions... Thanks in advance!
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Have you looked at Edmunds.com Used Power Shopper? You might want to click on that link and check it out.

Good luck.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
    Boy, selling that one could be tough. As you know, the incentives Saab offers on new cars are so good that it is hard to justify buying used. Read Kerryman's post #661.

You might want to shop it at CarMax if they are in your area or the local Saab stores. I figure they would put the best number on it.
  • jcthom4jcthom4 Member Posts: 24
    Thanks for the info :-)
    I have since posted it to the cars.com board as well. I looked at those you suggested and it seemed to have more listings (hopefully more viewers too).
    Again, thanks!
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Drew, Bretfraz - I took the plunge with an '01 9-5 SE coming off a rental/lease, with 13K miles. They beat the price I showed them from Carmax, and were reasonable with my trade-in (which I was glad to part with). I'm very satisfied with the deal and the dealership, so count me as a first-time saab owner. Thanks for making this forum very informative and helpful. Kerryman
    Great job!! I'm sure you'll love the car.
    And it's beautiful! I love the way this car drives! Big step up from the '97 Honda Accord! It is so quiet, and glides to a stop. True luxury. I can't sing enough praises about this car. Hope I'm still singing them when it's snowing outside and I have to drive in it.
  • puckhandlerpuckhandler Member Posts: 1
    A little history...Bought a used 9-5 4cyl. from the dealer Sep. 2000.
    ISSUE 1)Car pulls to the right and will change lanes on its own at 50 mph in 200yards.
    Service manager says, "an inherent problem with Saab 9-5's. nothing we can do"...Although he was perfectly happy to charge me 99$ to tell me the alignment was within tollerance.
    #2) Have burned through 4 sets of headlamp bulbs (daylight running) since sep 00. 16$ a bulb. Service rep says that it is a problem with the electrical system in 99 9-5's they are working on a repair and recall. Today, the bulb went outI went in to get a bulb under the warranty, asked when they were going to fix the problem. This time he tells me that it is just 'normal wear' and there is no electrical problems with the lights.

#3) On board ignition computer fried at 26,000 miles, car towed in to shop, computer module replaced.

#4) Car is on its second digital dash display because the pixels keep going out.

My solution, trade in and get a Volvo....my wife wants to keep the car because she loves driving it. For a $35,000 car I can't handle the lack of quality in the basic systems of this vehicle. Any suggestions on what I should do with these service guys? Are they pulling my leg or is this car supposed to pull to the right? I sure hope their jet fighters don't pull to the right.
    Thanks,
    Curtis
    Jeez, I dunno. Sounds fishy to me. My 9-5 drives straight as an arrow at all speeds. Last night I got it up to 105 and it drove like a freight train - rock solid. I've had it up to 120 which is where the V6 starts to wheeze a bit. The Aero will pull hard thru 130 and top out at 145-150.

If I were being told this, I'd find the best alignment shop in town and take it to them. Tell them what you've been told. Basically go in and ask for a favor. Maybe its a defective shock/strut or even a defective tire. Have you done a front-to-rear rotation to see if the problem is still there?

I have no comments about the rest of the issues. My 9-5 has been terrific. I agree with the statement that for $35K you should get a more reliable car. I dunno is Volvo is the answer, though.

Best of luck.
  • jlantermanjlanterman Member Posts: 1
    The shifter on my 2000 9-5 aero has become completely loose. It is now possible for the shift knob to be lifted completely off of the shifter stalk with little or no resistance. This problem seems to coincide suspiciously with my loaning the car to my father-in-law who I believe (despite explicit instructions) lifted the entire apparatus upwards to put the car in reverse, rather than simply pulling up the small black plastic piece under the knob.
    Does anyone have any fix-it suggestions to getting the knob apparatus to stick back onto the shifter? I'm trying to avoid buying a completely new shift knob and paying for installation.
  • golfnuttbgolfnuttb Member Posts: 8
    We are looking to get into a 01" 9-5 and am wondering if the deal posted earlier is still valid in Aug. Is there still 5k from SAAB and 5.5K from GM. We are a current SAAB owner so I woul;d think we'll get the $500. Sticker on the car is 38.6K and we are being told payment would be about $400 for a 3yr/36K lease.
    We have a 99" 9-3 w/ 67.6k miles and have to turn this in on lease. We will probably roll the cast of the overage on mileage into new lease. About $4600, is this the wise think to do to keep down payment and total payment lower.
    One last thing, when I spoke w/ the sales person he only indicated that there was 5k from SAAB and the $500 for current owner. The other 5k from GM was not mentioned.
    I would appreicate any input!!
    THANX
    >>Does anyone have any fix-it suggestions to getting the knob apparatus to stick back onto the shifter? I'm trying to avoid buying a completely new shift knob and paying for installation.<<

Yes I do. Your car should still be well within the warranty period. These things aren't supposed to break. The dealer will fix it. I'd be shocked if they don't. I've never had a problem getting these type things repaired under warranty on any of my new cars.

Drew
  • mbr4mbr4 Member Posts: 1
    hi,
    I am considerig leasing a 9-5 se w/ heated seats and mica paint.36 months 15,000/year. Purchase price $37678-$1000 down and $5000 from Saab, Money factor .0006 residual 45%. Payment $431. Everything seems good except for the Residual. I would appreciate any input.
    Thanks
    I understood that the deal we received (Saab $5,000) was only good for the month of July. We had to take delivery by July 31,2001. I would think the GM discount (with proper paperwork) would be valid at any time. Remember ,the GM discount is only for GM "A" buyers. My residual value on a $38.8 k car is $18,000 after 36 month lease.
    Dee
    Well, those numbers tell me that SFSC is not willing to subsidise everything, just most everything.

Your MF works out to be 1.44%. $5000 cash is a gift from God. $37K sounds close to invoice price.

I don't think you're gonna find a better overall deal on any car, especially a premium European sport sedan. Yeah, SFSC has dropped the residuals a bit in the past 6 months or so. That only means they're not willing to continue losing thousands on every car but still want to offer great deals.

When I read these posts I just gotta laugh at all the BMW and Audi buyers out there who are thankful for a $1000 disc. off sticker and a 9% interest rate.
    I bought this car for the great deal (really thought I wanted the MB C240, or the Audi A-4). Husband said I would hate the Audi... too small, and the MB...too expensive for what you get. I hate to admit it.. he's Right! I love this car! Only been driving for 2 weeks, but it is a joy. Smooth, comfortable, and handles like a dream. I can't say enough nice things about this car. If you are sitting on the fence, get off and Run to the dealership. You won't regret it.
    Dee
  • godeacsgodeacs Member Posts: 481
    Same in August as July......$5K discount, etc....
  • johnmccooljohnmccool Member Posts: 2
    Hello All,

I will be taking delivery on my Saab 9-5 this weekend and wanted to know if any of you had suggestions on where to buy aftermarket wheels and performance parts.

Thanks,
    John
    Well, first get you a Saab catalog from the dealer. It has all kinds of Saab goodies.

Most wheel and tire joints can sell you that stuff. Be forewarned that the 9-5 has an odd bolt pattern and offset so not every wheel will fit it.

Also check out Saabnet.com and maybe do an internet search for European vendors in Saab stuff. The car is more popular there than here so custom parts are more readily available.

You'll find it will be a challenge to obtain custom stuff for your 9-5. A 3-series/A4/Passat/Jetta it ain't.
  • joemartinojoemartino Member Posts: 1
    Just got a great lease on a 2001 9-5 SE. $422/month for 36 months, 15000 miles a year, no money down. $495 bank fee, first months payment + sales tax. Very happy!
  • markfallenmarkfallen Member Posts: 8
    Joemartino:

Where did you get your lease from (Saab, bank?).
  • speedrasaspeedrasa Member Posts: 1
    I am seriously considering a new 9-5 4cyl and was wondering what everyone's experience has been with the turbo. Any problems, gripes, praises? Any one with more than 100k? 200k? Thanks!
  • godeacsgodeacs Member Posts: 481
    for better info, go to www.saabnet.com and check out the 9-5 bulletin boards....most Saab owners go there, not here....
  • saabstory1051saabstory1051 Member Posts: 1
    I have never considered leasing before, but an add from a local dealer caught my eye recently and I was hoping for some feedback on the deal. Basically, they are offering a 2.3t with premium package, metallic paint, and heated seats for $332.99/Mo 12k mi/Yr. Up front costs include $1999 down, $1984.97 sales tax, $495 acquisition fee, $143 plate fee, and $332.99 first month's payment, for a grand total of $4954.96. The monthly payment sounds great to me, but I am not sure about the up front costs. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
  • guyp1guyp1 Member Posts: 3
    Sounds too good to be true. I generally only lease, and on my deal in June I put the tax into the lease, and in the end I put down maybe a bit under $2000. So roughly the same upfront, yet my lease is $436 a month -36/12k. And from reading this and other BB's, I'd say that's just about where they all fall. So how this deal could be at $332, I don't know, although I'd suspect a demo or some other less than above board tactic at work here.
    You should go to Intellichoice.com and look at the analysis and detail of the current 9-5 lease.

In a nutshell, the deal is:

base 9-5 sedan, auto, roof, leather, memory seats, HK stereo. MSRP $37,765

$398.59/mo for 36 mos. 36K miles, $999 down, acq fee $495 (typical SFSC), residual $16,617.

If it were me I'd print out the Intellichoice details and go see the dealer. Sit down and have them work out the numbers for you. It prolly isn't a scam, just an offer that's based on the factory deal above. Dealers sometimes modify offers to show a lower pymt or no down pymt, something like that. No big deal.

In the deal above get the cap cost/purchase price. Sales tax is sales tax, you can roll it into your payment if you want. Tag fees are tag fees.

There is nothing in your post to indicate something sleazy. Just make sure you know the purchase price ahead of time. And get the residual and money factor too.

Should be easy..........
  • slaab2slaab2 Member Posts: 3
    Sounds very much like the deal I got 2 weeks ago from Saab Exchange in suburban Chicago. 9.5 base, 5 spd, $$ paint, htd seats. Terms were $2k cap cost reduction, $495 lease fee, 36 pmts of $300.00, and buyout for $16.8K. Assuming a 6% interest rate and buyout at end of lease, this works out to the equivalent of buying the car for around $26K (using discounted cash flow analysis.

Since I plan to keep the car for many years, I had no initial interest in leasing, but dealer said they could not even come close to this price for outright purchase.

By the way, dealer came down $29/month on initial offer.

Hope this helps.
    This is probably a dumb question, but can Aero engine performance be achieved in a 9.5 base by replacing the base model's turbocharger with the one used in the Aero? From my very limited research, I don't see a difference between the 2 cars other than bigger tires, suspension tuning, and the turbocharger. I assume I'm missing something here such as a possible difference in gear ratios or a different chipset.

Would appreciate any insights.
  • kmurray66kmurray66 Member Posts: 28
    The current lease deal ($999 down, $399/month)on the 9-5 is awesome. If you bought the car at the end of the lease, your total out of pocket (excluding taxes)is only $32,460 which is $2,850 below invoice and $5,305 below MSRP. This does not obviously factor in the time value of money. The net present value of the lease payments and the buyout is $27,870 using a 7% discount rate. In other words, you would be crazy to buy a 9-5 for cash unless you could get it for less than $28k which is $7k below invoice. This analysis does not factor in the option value of the lease (i.e. you can walk away after 36 months).
    I guess with enough money, you can do whatever you want. The biggest problem I see is the struggle to keep your warranty intact.

Financially, I thing it would be best to simply trade up to an Aero if that's what you really want.

Drew
    I agree with DSKI, it would be a waste of money. Kiss your warranty goodbye. It would take major engine mods to meet the Aero standards.

Here's an idea - Why not just make your base look like an Aero? Spend the $5000 for the BBS wheels and tires, put on the body kit sold in the Saab catalog, install the trick exhaust, lower the car a bit, you'd be set!
    Well, here is what I've learned so far. The single biggest factor to increasing performance is a programming change to the engine computer; this provides a boost of approx. 40 HP and similar increase in torque across a reasonable range. I believe the only change is to reprogram the ECU - no need for any mechanical changes.

This upgrade is available from several sources (Abbott Racing (UK), Nordic( Sweden), and Chip Com (Sweden). I know the first 2 suppliers have U S reps. Abbott is now testing whether the available mod for Euro models can be used in the U S models, and expects test results to be known next week. The charge for the update is about $750.00 if purchased in Europe (don't know about U S pricing yet)

If I go this route, I think I'd skip the more expensive upgrades for exhaust, springs, etc. as they provide little in the way of power enhancement. And, I can skip the visual add-ons as I don't want to look like an Aero, just drive like one.

If anyoneone has experience with an ECU upgrade, I'd love to hear from you.

Your comments about warranty is my major concern. I have a call in to Saab to hear their taken on this though we can probably gues what they'll say.

Regards,
    I have to believe that the 2 cars have different Turbo Charger units as well. If so, don't expect the computer change to give you the full 40hp increase. Also, have you inquired about the warranty status.

I'd have to agree with you on the appearance issue. There is precious little difference in look of the Aero, SE or Standard models IMO. That fact is very unfortunate.

Drew
  • gbriankgbriank Member Posts: 220
    I just participated in the Saab Road Test Drive and received a coupon for $5000 off a 9-5. Does anyone know if this is just the Incentive Offer in coupon form or if it is on TOP of the incentive money?
  • mocydmocyd Member Posts: 7
    I will be looking to buy a 99 9-5 in the next few months and had a few questions for owners of 99/2000 9-5

How reliable has the car been over the last 3 years ? If you are leasing, what is your buyout amount ? Will you exercise your option to buy and why ?

I have driven a SE V6 and was impressed, although I have always driven a stick and am currently wrestling with the idea of driving a 5 speed versus the V6. ( Wife and two small children play into the equation) Most owners state that they feel very little difference between the 4 cyl with the 5 speed and the V6 in sport mode. I will find a 1999 with the 5 speed and drive it shortly.

I remember reading that SAAB had a problem getting the SE V6 to the states until late 98/early 99, so I would start seeing SE V6 coming off leases toward the end of this year, beginning of next year, correct ?

All comments appreciated
  • mlc5mlc5 Member Posts: 20
    Good luck with your hunt....
    I did a lot of reading/researching prior to my 2001 purchase. From what I remember about the 99 models the biggest complaints involved a problem with the ECU unit. I believe SAAB recalled that unit and changed manufacturers.. (check the records of the car you purchase to confirm it was replaced). There have also been complaints by some owners (all model years) about a very faint thumping sound from the fuel tank when its 3/4 full .. It can be heard when coming to a quick stop.... I believe SAAB has some type of quick fix baffle system that can be installed into the fuel tank to reduce or minimize this sound...
    As far as the 6 vs. 4 cyl... There are some strong emotions by SAAB purists against the 6 cyl.. as it is based on a GM engine block.. which some view as sacrilege.. so you need to take that with a grain of salt...
    Personally I have the 2001 9-5 4 cyl lpt with 5 speed and the acceleration is very good. Keep in mind they increased the hp from 170hp to 185 for the 2001 model year..
    best of luck with your decision....
  • raprorapro Member Posts: 30
    First of all immediately change dealers where you service your car but not before you give them hell for making an idiot out of you. How can it be normal for an almost new car to pull to the right? A hearse can pull to the right but only when pulled by a horse! I'd say find the best independent mechanic you can and pay out of your own pocket and then ask Saab for reimbursment. It must a mechanical problem that a good mechanic should have no trouble in diagnosing without having specific Saab experience, as opposed to a software/sensor failure.

I think you've got one of those old-style Saabs where little things go wrong all the time. See how it goes in the next 6-12 months and if you have continuous problems just get rid of it however you can.
    Wondering if anyone else has had a passenger in the front seat turn and inadvertantly bump the key in the ignition with a knee, and turning off the engine while driving down the highway at 70+? The effect is (obviously) a scary and immediate deadening of power, but I was able to coast over to the breakdown lane, come to a full stop, put into park, and then restart the engine. I would think that IF this were a bit more common, SAAB would re-think how the ignition might be turned off (such as having to depress the key while turning). Anyone else hear of such an event? (BTW, it's an '01 9-5 SE) Thanks.....
    I've been wondering if this was going crop up sometime. I have a hard time seeing how it could happen without someone actually grabbing the key and intentionally turning it but -- Now we know it can happen I suppose.

I think in that situation, I'd try to remain calm and simply slip the tranny to neutral and restart without pulling off. Then, at a reasonable speed, slip back to Drive. When I was younger, someone did that to me on an empty expressway as a joke and I had no problem restarting without a glitch. Trick is to not get panicky.

I also know someone who had this done to him intentionally who paniced. He was not very bright, he was at speed and thought he'd restart by slipping the tranny to PARK! Ouch, you can imagine the result. They were very late for school that day.

Drew