Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 3-Series 2005 and earlier

Comments

• mbenounmbenoun Member Posts: 4
    Is this board about houses or cars??
  • dave330idave330i Member Posts: 893
    I realize this is an old issue, but I had couple questions about it. For those of you who had this problem, which gear was this most noticeable?

I noticed my throttle being little slow in on the skidpad, and was wondering if it was related or not.
  • rshaw11rshaw11 Member Posts: 52
    I'm getting ready to make my move and finally get a 325i. I've seen posts from others in the bay area getting $1500 off MSRP. I live in Silicon Valley and would welcome any suggestions on where to get the best deal. Anyone gone as far as Sacramento? Anyone use Priceline? Thanks!
  • luftig1luftig1 Member Posts: 23
    "notch" one feels when putting the pedal to the metal. I have been advised this is a switch that change the mode of the engine/tranny for a burst in acceleration for passing.
    I believe that's with automatic only. There's a separate issue with manuals.
  • riezriez Member Posts: 2,361
    dej0... Do join, you won't regret it. Gets me 10 percent discount on parts at dealer. Seems like most dealers give you a discount. And gets you great monthly magazine. You might also be near a good local chapter. Really can make owning your BMW much more pleasant and fun!
  • nobeenobee Member Posts: 194
    us on the famous nurburgring! http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/jonneandbrian/lst?.dir=/nurburgring

You guys just have to do this if you ever get the chance. You can also rent a Nurburgring taxi (an alpine white M5) that can seat three plus the driver for around 120 euros.

• brave1heartbrave1heart Member Posts: 2,698
    I am drooling...
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

thanks. We had a blast...especially when we went around the carousel. The G's we pulled were pretty interesting to say the least.

-nobee
  • seivwrigseivwrig Member Posts: 388
    Nobee, I want to do Nurburgring but it was only open I the day that I headed to England. Also, you cannot drive on the track with Tourist plates. I don't think my brother's Protege would have been any fun. The Pix look good. My brother has 18 months left at Spangdahlem, I guess I have another shot before then.
  • dl7265dl7265 Member Posts: 1,381
    one sweet taxi.....
  • chewie5chewie5 Member Posts: 61
    I got my 325i for $1500 off MSRP + floormats at BMW of SF. That was the best deal that I had found after checking at Allison BMW, Sonnen, Prestige, and Weatherford.
  • colt007colt007 Member Posts: 64
    Is the 330ci the convertible? First saw him coming from the Whitestone bridge plaza 4/4 around 10:20pm headed North on the Hutchinson Pway. I was in a Red 300M. Saw him blast off & went after him. Didnt catch him ( I backed off @ 85mph). I wanted to stay close, 'cause I knew this guy could get me home in 20 minutes (could take 40+ mins from this point). Traffic thickend & I saw him again, moving in & out of slower traffic (I also have a 530ia so I know how sweeet that 330 must feel!) Got near him again getting off @ exit 13 (cross county). I got stuck behind slower traffic on the 180 degree exit ramp, he was stuck for a second, then blasted around a slower car & was gone. Got close again as we were getting on the NYS Thruway (notice I never did pass). I was determined to stay within a mile or so; he was runnig around 100+ in light traffic so I was able to keep up. Flashed him as I was getting off @ exit 14, I think he blinked the flashers at me. Best run I had in a while. Just wanted to share, the 3 must be a blast to drive. I know it aint much compared to nobee's Nurburgring run.

Colt.
  • kominskykominsky Member Posts: 850
    Wow... I guess being a bumpkin has it's benefits. Doing a quick search of the area on half-million dollar houses (there aren't many around here), I found a 5 bedroom 4,000sq ft home (new construction) on 11.5 acres... all that and numbered streets that only run in one direction! :-)
  • leenelsonmdleenelsonmd Member Posts: 208
    I posted this on another board too, but I was wondering what everyone thought.

Any news on the 2003 3 series? Where can I find some news?

Is the SMG coming down to the 330? I have heard very unreliable rumors that this may happen. This would certainly be a performance boost.

Will they tweak the engine for a little more HP? The '03 Infiniti and Acura have 260HP. I know that you do not shop for HP alone, but it makes it tough to claim the ultimate driving machine if you are left in the dust by all of the new cars.

Will they make a in-dash CD changer available in '03? It is standard on every competing model.
    In Europe, the 3 series can be had with the SMG. I have not heard anything about the 2003 3 series. As far as a standard CD changer, it seems to me that you are doing fine to have a standard CD player. The C-class does not have a standard CD player. HP does not mean much because even in Motor Trend's last comparo(May 2001), at least three cars had more HP (Volvo S60 T5,Acura TL Type-S and Saab 9-3 Viggen). Still the BMW 330i and Audi A4 3.0 are still consider benchmarks. Regardless of what Lexus, Infiniti and Acura have to offer, they are selling to the U.S. market versus selling to the true driver. Time and time again, the Japanese auto companies are aiming to produce a BMW beater. I don't see the TL, IS 300, G35 on the GT circuit. All are fine cars but are not refined performers. If I want 0-60 for a cheap price, I'll buy a Mustang GT or a Subaru WRX. Who wants weight adding luxury?
    I agree with you. Car companies are like computer companies--they are touting one number as a mark of their product (HP). Computer companies talk about GHz as if this was the only number that mattered.

I have '95 325i (190HP) and my wife has a '00 Maxima (222HP) and my car wins in every respect even though it is 5 years older and has twice the mileage.

Actually, the sound system in the Maxima is superior.

I am stuck on the 3 series and I am going to order the '03 330i the minute a dealer will let me.
    To be fair, the Maxima is a great car considering it can be had for about 10-15k less than a comparably equipped 330.
    THREE Elantras for one Maxima - now that would be a really good deal :o)
  • ben__ben__ Member Posts: 13
    There are some nice things about buying the Japanese cars. They tend to be less expensive with comparable options, and most things are standard. BMW tends to make everything an option, and as a result each option costs a chunk of change.

That said, I'm a firm believer in "you get what you pay for." There are a bunch of neat things that are standard on every BMW since the 80s that you can't get on some of the competitors.

One example would be the sensor in the brakes that informs you when you're due for new pads. It isn't inexpensive, but it is a really nice touch.

I think that SMG, while very cool, is not the manual transmission I would want in my 3. A lot of the fun and the skill in driving a stick is working the clutch.
  • 530bmw530bmw Member Posts: 130
    This thought came to me before I bought my 530. I could get a fleet of 6-7 Yugos with different colors (too bad it is not available anymore) for the money that I pay for ONE 530. That is pretty sad, isn't it?
    I can't imagine that there will be much special on the 2003 3 series. They have changed the seats from 10 way to 12 way in March. Given that cosmetic and interior changes were made for 2002, 2003 could not get much especially given that the 5-series and Z3 are due for significant changes. Maybe SMG might make but it will probably be for the 330. I guess there will always be a debate among the purist and owners who are not enthusiasts. SMG is still an automatic but lacks the torque converter. I guess if the purist had their way, the 2002 or the E30 would still be around. But the same can be said for the M-B SL through all the generations. It went from race car to lux cruiser for the rich. A two seater with an automatic does seem weird.
    With the glut of quick cars or a least high HP cars flooding the market. It seems as though everyone will come on this board and compare their car with the BMW 3-series, why? There are a lot of nice cars out there, why can't folks enjoy their car and stop comparing their car to a BMW. I really believe their is such thing as BMW envy. In the coming months, we will have to deal with G35,Altima V6,Lancer Evo VII,Skyline(???),Impreza WRX STi. All are fast, but lack the German refinement. If I was 25 and single with money burning a whole in my pocket. I would buy a Evo VII or WRX STi or even a Focus RS (if it was available in the US). These are sporty cars with sporty interior and no luxury. Weekend racers, if I can call them that. I think one needs to ask themself, what do I want in a car. The S2000 had recently come up, personally, I would buy a Lotus Elise Exige. No thrills, just a car. 0-60 in 4.7sec, 177HP, 126 ib-ft torque, top speed 136 from a 1.8 litre engine. For beating Hondas on a track this is fine for straight line driving, no way. The Ultimate Driving Machine is a combination of things but the primary point is fun to drive not to ride. Take the ride part any way you like.
  • huntzingerhuntzinger Member Posts: 356
    Short answer is that it does for some people.

Just look at how many Firebird's and Mustang's Detroit has sold over the years, and yet what percentage of them could actually manage to make it around a decent corner?

Ultimately, any vehicle is a series of design compromises and trade-offs and what the blend is is what the designer considers "best". To a great degree, it is really nothing more than a personal opinion, biased by those things that we're able to measure (such as HP & 0-60).

And even if we're able to measure something doesn't mean that its the right thing to measure. For example, it has been said that people 'buy horsepower, but drive torque' and in many of the one-upmanship car-vs-car discussions you hear, you'll hear HP numbers bandied about, but rarely is torque ever mentioned.

Personally, I use rules of thumb when looking at various cars. For example, a power:weight ratio of 20-25 lbs/horsepower is more than adequate, although I also double check that its ~0.67 ft-lbs/HP or better. Overall, if you do the basics correctly, the "magazine numbers" will follow in due course.

-hh
  • luftig1luftig1 Member Posts: 23
    My first car - the ultimate to me then, '78 Camero SS with side pipes. Noisy, fun, ok fast if I did not flood the engine with the Holly 650 double pumper carb I put on the edelbrock manifold. In hindsite, cornered like crap and the interior just fell apart.

Second car - Bronco II SUV. Good transport, not fun. Enjoyed the higher view. Missed the performance.

Third Car - Mustang GT 5.0 Convertible, Fast, Fun, Better handeling than my prior cars, Bright Yellow (What was I thinking) - not very refined, but fun.

4th car, BMW 300i, to me the ultimate driving machine. Reliable, Great performance, Luxury, Quality,... This would not have been anything I wanted when I bought my Camero, funy how the what is our Ultimate Driving Machine changes over time.

Next car ? I bet another Bimmer.
    To me it isn't about the "hard numbers" (0-60, Skidpad, 1/4 mile). Although I use these numbers as a basis for comparison, I always use fun to drive, the infamous "butt dyno," & how fast I can take exit ramps as my basis for analyzing performance (driving dynamics). Handling is more important than speed for me. Build quality as well as fit & finish are higher on my list than speed. Timeless styling. I like weighted (read communicative) steering. BMW does all these things really well. That's why I think they truly make The Ultimate Driving Machine. Other manufactures make great cars too, just in my mind nobody makes a Sport Sedan like BMW (just my opinion, I'm not saying BMW is better than Brand X).

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• rshaw11rshaw11 Member Posts: 52
    If I might add my two cents to the discussion, I think it get downs to maturity and experience. When we're young different things are important, fast cars, fast woman, etc. As we grow up (older) we become more sophisticated, we learn that there's more pleasure below the surface. Driving is like that, first, just want to go fast, and later you want to appreciate the "driving" experience. It's easy to build a fast car, but much more difficult to build a great driving car.
    IMO, I think Huntzinger hit it on the head, at least for me. Customer preference. In the U.S., we are the largest customers of automobile, so I think most manufactors listen to our opinions at the dismay of the rest of the world. We, as a nation, drive automatics while the rest of the world drive manuals. Purist drive manual, lazy folks like myself drive automatics (my truck is manual). The fact is that automatic is standard in most luxury cars in the U.S., while econoboxes are manuals (Europeans drive econoboxes which are manual). Automatic can also be a costly option but most dealers will carry a lot full of automatics. At what point did we got from driving to riding(automatic tranny, t.v.,high-end stereo, air con, damped ride, quiet engines, lack of steering response,etc...)
    Great topic. Just like most people on this board I believe the ultimate driving machine isn't determined on how fast it runs the quarter mile or how many G's it can pull around the track, but rather, how much satisfaction you gain from your machine. Base price of a stock 3-series BMW for me would be 24,100 plus 265 for destination. A car with no options but hell of a lot more fun than a Honda Accord V-6 with all the trimmings. BMW sets the standard and everyone else sitting in their fully loaded Camry's can watch me drive away enjoying life! Go BMW!

-nobee
    Has anyone played around with their tire pressure? I've recently increased my front from 32 to 33 psi. The initial impression is that understeer's been lessened, but ride quality has gone down.
    As many others have already expressed, to me it's about handling and feedback, not 0-60 or skidpad numbers. The limiting factor in my BMW isn't the car, but me. I attend BMW CCA events because they're fun, and to improve my driving skills. Some day, I hope to fully utilize this beautifully engineered car.
    I use 32/34 F/R. I played with the pressure up to 35 for the fronts but just like you, I thought that ride quality suffered above 32 psi for the fronts and I left it at that...
    What's the recommended psi for your car?
    ...but only as part of the whole package. If size or HP is all that mattered, Anna Nicole Smith would have been the sexiest woman alive...The Ultimate Driving Machine is about balance and versatility. Ultimately, it is the feeling you get while driving it. When I drive my car while listening to certain songs (esp. Let's Go Out Tonight from John Lee Hooker), I feel like we're dancing gracefully - it makes me want to switch lanes endlessly - step, step left step, step right step... Haven't felt that way about any other car I've ever driven regardless of the car's horsepower.
  • eoseos Member Posts: 27
    I'm sure this topic has been explored before, but can any of the regulars summarize the pros and cons of buying or avoiding SA-built cars?

Thanks,
    Bob
    It doesn't make a difference. Actually the plant in SA is newer. But it doesn't make a difference.

• eoseos Member Posts: 27
    I'm sure this topic has been explored before, but can any of the regulars summarize the pros and cons of buying or avoiding SA-built cars?

Thanks,
    Bob
  • vkwheelsvkwheels Member Posts: 218
    My route took me thru a...
    '77 VW Rabbit--fond memories of college days
    '74 Opel Manta--sister's car, very fun to drive
    '85 Prelude--my fave, everyone else's too as it was stolen 3 times
    '91 Vigor--foray into luxury-land that did not work out for me
    '95 Nissan SE-R--my current baby is old but it's been reliable & fun.
    My first awareness of BMW was in the 8th grade, math teacher Mrs. Tom had an orange 2002 & it was very cool. She was a trendsetter. As for me, I think the 325i says lasting quality, great handling & balance, plenty of amenities & safety features and plenty of HP, esp. compared to what I have now. Expensive yes, but $1200 over invoice seems to be a good price. If I order this week, dealer said I should get it mid-June.
    As many others have already expressed, to me it's about handling and feedback, not 0-60 or skidpad numbers.

Overall, I have found that this is pretty much a European attitude towards cars, whereas the 0-60 & 1/4mi "open road" metrics are very much the American ones.

The product's genesis came first from its most local environment. Europe has many old cities and towns with tight centers and twisty country roads that favor handling, whereas in the USA, wide open spaces favor cruising in land yachts, and they aren't penalized in the cities because our post-Industrial Age cities are more open.

FWIW, you can find parallels in racing: Europe does road courses, whereas NASCAR just makes left turns all day :-)

In terms of "vehicular genealogy", our last non-European car went away in 1990.

-hh
  • thedeepdarkbluthedeepdarkblu Member Posts: 106
    My two cents worth---

I guess I never thought I'd seek to own one, to begin with. I always liked BMWs, but never really dreamed of having one. My first cars were Pontiacs (UGH!)--a Sunbird (angry wedge) and a Grand Am, b/c they were hand-me-downs from my parents. My third and fourth cars were both Honda Accords. When it came time to look for an upscale sports coupe, I had to look at the BMW 3. I had sat in BMWs that my friends owned but had never actually driven one. Then I drove the E39 528 and loved it. It felt like another world, to be honest. I had never experienced anything so solid yet so capable. I had driven a Mercedes E320, and it felt like tank but something was missing--the agility, and some indescribably quality than seems to be solely BMW. I then test drove a 328i (non SP), and was convinced that the 3 had to be mine. I ordered a 2001 325Ci (SP) and waited over three months. Some say that the longer you wait for something and the more you think about it, your disapppointment increases when you get it. WRONG. I never imagined it would be as amazing at it is. There isn't a single day that goes by when I don't LOVE driving it. It's awakens something in you that surpasses mere description. Sure, the 3 is not the fastest, most expensive car out there. But it is pure BMW. It does what I tell it to do, it responds, AND it is not transportation. It is an experience in driving all by itself. Other cars get you there, get you there in style, or get you there fast. This car does more than that. It makes you want to drive with no particular destination in mind. You don't drive it b/c it cradles you in luxury or b/c it looks great. You drive it b/c it begs to be driven and rewards you for doing it.

Am I crazy? I think not. I'm just a believer.
  • vkwheelsvkwheels Member Posts: 218
    Sounds like lust turned to love....how romantic! ;-)
    I had a front-end collision accident in '98 with my little car & in testing out new ones today really appreciate the solid feeling in the BMW. The Merc's I drove had it too but everything else felt muffled or dampened (& no CD player in a 25-30K car?--come on).
    Since Huntzinger is better with words than myself, I probably will not say more on this thread. I will use an example. Ford Mondeo vs Ford Contour. Though they are the same car, they do not drive the same and styling cues are different. I have driven the 2000 Ford Mondeo Ghia X. Have the luxury of 3 series but lack the refinement. The car handled very well on tight roads and is responsive. I currently have a '96 Nissan Altima that I would not drive in Europe if it was the last car on earth. In Europe, you need good brakes, tight steering and nimbleness. The driving in Europe is different than the U.S. and our cars are built for that difference. Hatches did not sell in the U.S., M-B made a gamble with the C230 coupe (I think some people bought with the thinking that it is a cheap Benz,not!!!). Also, 1.8 and 2.0 ltr engine abound in Europe. People love rally inspired cars, etc... While we on the other hand, drive on long stretches of wide highways with big inefficient 6 and 8 cylinder cars. Though, we create some beautiful cars in the U.S., they have no use in foreign markets because of their builds. Reality, who in Europe would buy a Cadillac CTS? What purpose does an Infiniti or Acura serve in Europe? BMW makes cars that can be driven anywhere with confidence. Audi and Subaru also make purposeful cars in my opinion. Rally cars do their purpose due to 4WD and responsive engines. Some companies might want to take notes. Refineness+Fun+Responsiveness=BMW
    My two cents worth---

I guess I never thought I'd seek to own one, to begin with. I always liked BMWs, but never really dreamed of having one. My first cars were Pontiacs (UGH!)--a Sunbird (angry wedge) and a Grand Am, b/c they were hand-me-downs from my parents. My third and fourth cars were both Honda Accords. When it came time to look for an upscale sports coupe, I had to look at the BMW 3. I had sat in BMWs that my friends owned but had never actually driven one. Then I drove the E39 528 and loved it. It felt like another world, to be honest. I had never experienced anything so solid yet so capable. I had driven a Mercedes E320, and it felt like tank but something was missing--the agility, and some indescribably quality than seems to be solely BMW. I then test drove a 328i (non SP), and was convinced that the 3 had to be mine. I ordered a 2001 325Ci (SP) and waited over three months. Some say that the longer you wait for something and the more you think about it, your disapppointment increases when you get it. WRONG. I never imagined it would be as amazing at it is. There isn't a single day that goes by when I don't LOVE driving it. It's awakens something in you that surpasses mere description. Sure, the 3 is not the fastest, most expensive car out there. But it is pure BMW. It does what I tell it to do, it responds, AND it is not transportation. It is an experience in driving all by itself. Other cars get you there, get you there in style, or get you there fast. This car does more than that. It makes you want to drive with no particular destination in mind. You don't drive it b/c it cradles you in luxury or b/c it looks great. You drive it b/c it begs to be driven and rewards you for doing it.

Am I crazy? I think not. I'm just a believer.
  • orkwisorkwis Member Posts: 82
    Okay, I proved my point to the wife and gave up this board for Lent! But the call of my ED 325i is getting too much to take. I plan to take delivery on the 29th of May and enjoy a long drive through Europe. Going to Lugano, Genoa, Berlin, and Amsterdam. Even found a way to make it a business trip, 32.5c/mi or should it be km? A question for you guys experienced with ED. My car is produced and waiting to be shipped. Why'd they build it so early, what's it doing waiting 7 weeks to move across Munich? Looking forward to trying it out on roads it was meant for!
    Love would be an accurate description. Sounds like you're trying to make a decision here. What are you looking at exactly? 325/330? C-Class? Goofed up about the CD player. I agree. Keep in mind, though, that the alarm is not standard on the 3-series.
    you gave up Town Hall for lent? Oh Boy! Congrats on your new 325.

Love would be an accurate description. Sounds like you're trying to make a decision here. What are you looking at exactly? 325/330? C-Class? Goofed up about the CD player. I agree. Keep in mind, though, that the alarm is not standard on the 3-series.
    Since Huntzinger is better with words than myself, I probably will not say more on this thread.

Hey, ya did just fine! Keep it up.

BTW, I did find one bad thing about the wife's car being European, namely the complaints I hear from her after she gets back home from a business trip! Virtually every time, I'll get some new critique about how lousy her rental car was :-)

Now if I can only get her out to the Autocross.

-hh