Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 3-Series 2005 and earlier

Comments

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    It seems that you've been to Germany, so I'd advise picking up a 330Ci with whatever you want in it via the European Delivery Program. You can probably get a 330Ci with some decent options for well under $40K.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    "...the other option is a 330Ci, with the sport package, xenon, sunroof, and upgraded stereo."

The 330Ci comes with the upgraded Harman Kardon audio system as standard equipment.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • colt007colt007 Member Posts: 64
    When asked for a last remark, the german representative claimed "This will be the Cadillac of all BMWs"

How funny (or sad) is this line?

Colt.
  • brislance1brislance1 Member Posts: 87
    Several people have posted asking about the bra-nosemask for the 3 series. Since I drive from Minnesota to Tucson round trip each year I did purchase a bra from BMW for my 323I when I took delivery in June of 00. The first time I tried to use the bra, I found it difficult to fit it properly. The main problem seemed to be that the lower part of the bra that is supposed to fit over the fender and onto a strip of velcro mounted on the inside of the fender between the hood and the fender made the material so thick that the hood would not close. I solved this problem by not using the velcro strips and instead cut two pieces of ductape about six inches long and used them to hold the bra in place as it fit over the fenders. This made that area less thick and I easily was able to close the hood. I have used this method for two years now and have no chips on the front of the car.

I also found that if, prior to mounting, I left the bra in the hot sun for 15 minutes the upper part fit better on the hood. It was more snug.

One other suggestion is to be sure to tighten the straps as tightly as possible and after driving the car several miles, re-tighten them again. Never leave the bra on for long periods of time as wetness can cause paint to fade.

If I were to do it all over again, I would probably order a Colgan bra through Autoanything.com. I did get mirror bras from them that really work great. I did this because the mirrors on one of my other cars really got chipped coming across the desert. Hope this helps. Funny what a little ductape will do!
  • brave1heartbrave1heart Member Posts: 2,698
    I can pick a girlfriend for you too but you may not necessarily like her ;o) Go with whatever fits your preferences and budget better. I'd think that if you're only 23 and this is your first BMW, you'd be very happy with the performance of the 325 manual with sport package. You will also have a much better chance of living to see your 25-th birthday with the slower (only relative to the 330) 325.
  • nerdnerd Member Posts: 203
    I'll try your suggestion on the duct tape. Question...how/where did you fasten the hooks underneath the front of the car?

I found that putting the top part in the clothes dryer for a couple of minutes heats it nicely. Heating it did make installation easier, but it still flapped at high speed especially in a headwind.
  • brislance1brislance1 Member Posts: 87
    Nerd

I used ductape on the velcro tabs under the front of the car too. You could also go to a dry goods store and buy some velcro that you could leave on the underside permanently. You can attach the tabs to the velcro each time you mount the bra. Good luck.
  • seivwrigseivwrig Member Posts: 388
    I'll add to Brave and NYC. Do the ED, find a dealer that will give you at least $1500 above invoice and then consider the following:
    a BMW 325Ci with SP, Moonroof, Xenon, Power Seats, OBC,HK and paint with D&H $28770 invoice + 1500 = $30270. (With NAV $31910).
    a BMW 330Ci with SP, Moonroof, Xenon, 18" wheels, paint with D&H $33640 invoice + $1500 = $35140. (With NAV $36780).
    If you are not married skip the NAV.
    Note: With the NAV, you will have to buy a CD changer. BMW sells this for $595. This does not include installation. Also with ED, you will get floormats, a first aid kit and a safety triangle. If you don't do ED, try to negotiate for free floormats and other things, if possible.
    Seivwrig writes, "If you are not married skip the NAV."

IMHO, NAV has a relative value depending upon the person. In my case, I don't think I would pay $200 for an integrated NAV system in a car (even though I would gladly pay $12,000 for an integrated GPS "Moving Map" Nav/Com for an airplane). On the other hand, I would gladly pay $1,200 to $1,500 for an integrated NAV system for my wife's car. While I consider Mrs. Shipo to be a genius in many ways, she has actually gotten lost driving to work, a place where she has worked for many years. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • nerdnerd Member Posts: 203
    I'll try your ideas.

I looked at the Colgan mask at autoanything.com. They appear to have heavier weights on the hood cover - might be less prone to flap.

I think I'll get a pair of the mirror masks.
  • postoakpostoak Member Posts: 537
    I read your post and saw Temple in place of Tyler. Didn't mean to try to send you to someplace you hadn't asked about. Another thing you might try is the big-city dealerships in a big city other than your own. They know you aren't a captive customer for them and that the only way they'll get you to drive from San Antonio to Houston (as an example) is with a good price. Haven't tried this but it might be worth a shot.
    Anybody tried this and got it to do anything useful? To me it seems the same as the old search feature.
  • pcbrspcbrs Member Posts: 57
    To all those board members, and brave1heart...

Thank you again for all your help. Especially for taking the time to post your experiences and opinions. I personally feel that the 3 series coupe is one of the most beautiful cars on the road, and the handling is just superb. I don't mind a little road noise, and a reasonable premium ($3300 diff. between 330 and 325) for some power. I was wondering if I had to sacrifice a quiet ride. It seems engine roar comes more strongly in the 330ci, so I needed to hear some other opinions... more informed opinions.

I'm wondering if anyone could tell me when the roar stops in the tach range on the 330ci. Is it throughout the acceleration, or just in the low ranges? And I forgot to mention that I will be getting a Step... the traffic in Boston is just too slow... Does this affect people's recommendations?

Anyway, I am planning on doing Euro Delivery, since I live in Boston, and the fares here are reasonable to Munich. Thank you again everyone, for making this such a useful and friendly board. You guys are great.

Jeff
  • ultrarunnerultrarunner Member Posts: 64
    Does anyone have Jacquard Cloth Seat Trim? If you do, do you like it and would you order it again in your next car? (Canadian Option?)

Also, how is it different from the standard European Anthracite Cloth? Thanks
  • gurumikegurumike Member Posts: 442
    ...sport seats in my 2001 330i sedan. I would definitely order them again. Actually, I'd go half leather.
    ...to BMW, I heard yesterday that my brother-in-law was in a very serious accident in his 1990 E30 325i. It seems that a Dodge Durango ran a stop sign doing something north of 40 and "T-Boned" his BMW hard enough to spin the 325i 2.5 times (according to the police report and the skid marks) and total BOTH vehicles. After they cut my brother-in-law out of his car, they told him "You are lucky you were in a BMW, in other cars of this size after accidents like this, we usually need the MediVac helicopter, assuming that is, that anyone inside was still alive."

My brother-in-law is still very sore with some fractured and/or displaced ribs and pinched nerves in his neck so that his right arm/hand/fingers are numb (which is worrisome because he is a composer and pianist), but, he is alive to tell about it. :-) He is absolutely convinced that the BMW saved his life, and were it that his enjoyment of his previous car wasn't enough, he says that he will absolutely replace the E30 with a newer E36 or E46, if for no other reason than the safety aspect.

Now all we need to do is find him a "Cream Puff" that he can easily go and fetch from the LA area.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • orkwisorkwis Member Posts: 82
    You might consider the strategy I employed when looking for my 325i here in Ohio. We have many fewer BMW dealers than TX but still well over 15 within 4 hours drive. I visited locally at my "preferred" location to get a test drive and information. I then used this board's insight to figure out the "right" deal, $1500 over plus floor mats. (If you do ED the floor mats come with it). I then called a few dealers with this request but didn't get very far. I switched to an all email tactic that paid off nicely. I sent all the out-of-town dealers an email asking for the above deal. Two of them bit and another came close. I then upped the ante some, and asked for 5 BMW T-shirts as well (one for everyone in the family). I sent email out to those three who came close and they didn't budge, and then followed with an email to my two local dealers. Surprisingly they came back with $1800 over and $1600 over including the t-shirts, with my "preferred" location being the best. They've been great to work with and I now feel confident I couldn't have gotten a better deal.

FWIW, I weighed the "cost" of traveling a few hours against the convenience of location. My break point was probably about $1 per mile (although this is completely arbitrary). I think it squares well with postoak's comment that the out of town dealers have nothing to lose by giving you a good deal, particularly on ED since it's not part of their allotment as I understand it. It seems also that most places have a designated internet salesperson who is generally willing to give a lower price than a floor salesmen, but this is just an impressions I got from talking with both (could be coincidence). Although the guy I bought from works the floor.

Finally, definately do ED. I think the experience alone is worth it even if it eats up all the money you save (although it doesn't have to). If price is an issue stay out in the country and avoid the cities. Parking is too hard to find in the cheap places and I wasn't prepared to leave my new ride on the street. There's also no other legal way (except maybe in Montana) to see what your car can do!

Good luck!
  • ccotenjccotenj Member Posts: 610
    will get louder the higher you rev...

to the person who asked "why did bmw lighten the steering in the first place"... please reference all the posts about people wanting it to be quieter... your answer is in there somewhere...

geez, and i thought mine was too quiet, and even with the m3 catback it's still too quiet... :)

-Chris
  • tenet1tenet1 Member Posts: 354
    Glad to hear that your brother-in-law is OK.
  • vkwheelsvkwheels Member Posts: 218
    that your bro-in-law is o.k. Maybe you can find a cream puff on one of the boards here. In the LA area (well south of there in Orange Co) you might try a Car Faire. There was a sweet-looking red 98 Z3 selling for 22,500 last week.
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    Shipo,

Sorry to hear about your brother-in-law. VERY happy to hear he is alive and recovering. Safety is probably the main reason I opted for the 3'er.

Safety features to me:
    AWD
    8, yes 8 airbags (2 front, 2 front side, 2 rear side, 2 head)
    Sport suspension

Hopefully he recover quickly from any soreness or injuries.

Why don't you, him, and Mrs. Shipo come out here in October to find a good car and you can take in the EAFB air show with me and my family! :)

-Paul
  • mlmurraymlmurray Member Posts: 5
    Ok, there have been a few posts about the best way to find a good deal on a 3'er. I'll be looking for one next week and plan on contacting a bunch of dealers, so I'd like to here what anyone with an opinion has to say about the best way to go about that. Specifically:

Is it better to Phone, E-mail, or Fax?

Is it better to make an offer or let them make you an offer?

Any insights will be greatly appreciated.

-Mark
  • 1pierce1pierce Member Posts: 284
    I e-mailed the dealers in my area. I also decided that my time and convenience had a value, and that I was willing to pay a little more to buy the car locally. From what another poster in my area says, I payed about $250 premium to avoid a 2-1/2 hour drive to Erie, PA, (from Pittsburgh) and I got the front lisence plate bracket change-out thrown in.

I e-mailed two dealers, telling them that I was looking for a 325i, and wanted them to call me to arrange a test drive. They both called within a day. After I had test driven a few cars, and decided what I liked, I e-mailed the remaining dealers in my area and setup appointments to talk deals. I then went to each (there were four and I got through three), with a written offer sheet. Nobody would make my deal ($1,500 over invoice + floor mats + plus plate bracket removal). Each got closer, though, until I settled for a little over $1,700 over invoice because I was just too fried to continue.

I'm not sure I'd advise this for everybody - its pretty stressful. I just wanted to do the best I could do locally, and pull the trigger that day. I also visited them in reverse order of where I wanted to buy, anticipating that subsequent offers would get better. I ended up buying from my preferred dealer, where I had done most of my test driving.

I probably could have gotten the car a wee bit cheaper, but what is $250 spread over 36 or 48 lease payments? Its newspaper change, so why drive 4-5 hours for it and then not get a loaner and a wash when the car is in the shop?
    I was pleasantly surprised by the engine noise in the 325i. It was aggressive enough to tell when the car was running (not like a Lexus), and quiet enough as not to be obtrusive. It wasn't as quiet as the A4 3.0, but was much quieter than the A4 1.8T. And, it only growls when you rev it high. Under normal driving, too me, its pretty quiet. Still, if you're looking for a Honda or a Lexus, you'll be disappointed.

I actually find road noise (tire rumble) and wind noise MUCH more objectionable than engine noise. Neither of those were a problem to me, with the 325i base tires. Of course, if you want SP handling/tires, you have to make the trade off in road noise.
  • bimmer12bimmer12 Member Posts: 72
    Love reading your info...I was in the mkt for a 3 sometime down the road...I was hoping you could give me an idea of what a good (and obtainable) lease price is for a 325i, 325xi, or 330i averagely equipped?

Thanks!
    My 325i SP manual does 55 mph in second gear at the redline. I remember you mentioning that your 325ci gets up to 59 mph in second. Is that at 6,700 RPM's where the rev limiter kicks in?!? You'd still have to shift it in third to reach 60 mph, though.

BTW, I hit a variety of backroads this week. Some of the roads had very old pavement - uneven, bumpy and very poorly marked. I was amazed at how composed my 3-er was on these roads - it never lost composure and it stayed balanced and predictable even on the bumpiest switchbacks. Over a year and 21K miles into my ownership and I am still amazed by it!!
  • mg330cimg330ci Member Posts: 162
    Invoice + 1500 +/-200 (prices may change as the 2003 model comes)
    Check Kelly (KBB) web page for current lease money factors and residual or check on Edmunds discussion on leasing and ask the moderator for the numbers. Don't accept other MF from the dealer, they should honor the BMW FS numbers, anything more is extra profit for the dealer.
    Read and learn the math, don't forget taxes.
  • meb330imeb330i Member Posts: 3
    As a long time lurker, I finally had to post after picking up my Steel Blue 330i, Gray leather, PP, CWP, Step, and Bi-xenons.

I haven't had the 20 year plus wait to buy my first Bimmer of some on the board, but I have been looking and shopping (and driving my wife crazy) for almost 3 years. I was pulling the trigger a year ago, when a move suddenly became very expensive and the plans went on hold.

To echo the impressions of so many others, since I picked up the car, I've had a permanent smile every time I'm behind the wheel. Even with the steptronic (the inevitable compromise to stop and go traffic and a non-stick driving spouse), the acceleration is incredible, and the 3.0L engine just sings. While I can't confirm the manufacturer of the transmission as ZF, I can say that my sticker (unlike one "older" car on the dealer lot) shows Germany as the origin and I notice a difference (not better or worse, just different) from the cars I test drove.

The car handled wonderfully on a weekend trip through the Sierra foothills. I don't believe I would have noticed a significant difference between my sport suspensioned 330 and a sport packaged 330. That's not to say other's won't; I just probably won't push it that hard.

This board has been a wonderful source of information and I've vicariously driven each of your Bimmers. Now I finally get to drive mine. Thanks!
  • purchasingsoonpurchasingsoon Member Posts: 74
    I've been reading this forum for some time but i haven't posted much. Thanks everyone for the great advice. I just agreed to purchase a 325xi sport package, premium package, xenons, heated front seats. these are tough to come by in my area, particularly in popular colors, so i only ended up getting a bit over $1000 off the sticker. i'm not happy about that but i was in a bind with the expiration of my current lease. I sign the papers this weekend and solidify the terms. I'll let you know how it turns out. thanks again everyone.
  • mg330cimg330ci Member Posts: 162
    This just leaked out from a German newspaper (sorry can't spell the name).

German executives commenting on the outstanding low noise levels inside the new L series, admitted that a total of almost 500lbs of sound deafening material was used.

Also, due to the poor HP rating measured on the new restrictive exhaust, a new larger, powerful albeit heavier engine was planned to keep up with the competition and keep 0-60 in the 7 sec range.

When the BMW executives where asked how would this affect the legendary BMW 50/50 distribution, and how, with the addition of the new spectacular "magic carpet suspension" would BMW legendary handling change, the interview was interrupted abruptly.

A second group of BMW representatives exalted the new super light steering. Test done on the nurburgring with selected nor Americans especially flown to Germany for this test, showed how they where able to apply make-up and shave while comfortably turning the steering using only ONE finger!. None of the subjects crashed, demonstrating once again, the higher skills and experience the North American subjects (drivers)had.

BMW executives confessed that the L series was inspire by monitoring the discussions at Edmunds Town Hall.

When one of the reporters asked how will the new L series fit with the traditional BMW costumer/ sports car aficionado, this was ignored due to the appropriate intervention of one of the exec inviting everybody to the cocktail party.

Although we were not allowed to drive the prototypes, after a few cocktails, one of the German engineers praised the new RECORD number of 57 cupholders to be found in the car.

I could not translate several of the paragraphs but as soon as I do, I'll keep you updated.

P. D. Also coming soon, the new, fabulous BMW "RTHV", so don't change your channel.
    Hehe, I wonder how many you will rope in with this one. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • dl7265dl7265 Member Posts: 1,381
    I just called my dealer and told him im not interested in any L330i ;)
    I believe in email, but for some dealers it is hard to get the email of the CORRECT person at the dealership -- someone in the Internet Sales Department (and some dealerships still don't have such a deparment). If you can't get the email of the IS Department, find out if the dealership has a website. If so, they will usually have an email form in there -- fill it out but expect that the response to it will be a little slow -- anywhere from a day to a week. The worse thing that can happen to you is that you'll call in and ask for the Internet Department's email and the receptionist (for reasons of her own) will give you the email of a regular (perhaps her favorite?) floor salesman. He won't be able to give you the kind of deal you're looking for.

I would recommend you go to the dealership you would find most convenient to get service from and take your test drive(s) there. Then, after you've got the best email deal, give that salesman the chance to match -- he probably won't be able to, but at least you'll have a clean conscience about using his time.
  • mlmurraymlmurray Member Posts: 5
    Thanks,

That seems like a sane and reasoned approach.

-Mark
    rotfl... keep 'em coming!!
  • hippo168hippo168 Member Posts: 115
    don't forget the fold down dvd/tv combo, which is also connected to the latest game consoles of your choice!
  • sjmurray2sjmurray2 Member Posts: 65
    What is the going discount when ordering one of these cars? Looking to purchase a 325Cic with Step, PP, heated seats, and Leather. Is $1200 off MSRP reasonable? I am in Virginia. I know about ED, but do not want to go that route.

Opinions welcome on Harmon Kardon, Step, and Leather too. I hear the HK is not worth the upgrade and that the leatherette may be better in a ragtop! I would prefer the Manual, but wife may have to drive once in a while.

Not many ragtops on the lots in Virginia, but there are a quite a few that can be built to specification for August delivery.

Thanks.
    The lease prices I've been quoted from BMW Financial were in the neighborhood of $535.00/mo for the following car/deal:

325i, PP, Xenon, HK, Steptronic, no metallic paint (electric red). MSRP $33,095. Paid about $32,150.

36 mo, 12,000 mile lease, with $2,000 upfront cash. Please remember, BMW Financial requires first month's payment, a security deposit equal to one month's payment rounded up to the next $50, and an acquisition fee of about $500. My down payment offer only put about $500 toward lowering the finance amount.

Bottom line: If you end up financing at or over $30,000, expect to pay over $500/mo to lease. Also, 4-year leases through BMWNA cost more than 3-year (they apparently want the car back having been fully maintained, and with a year of warranty left).

I haven't actually finalized financing yet, because my car isn't here, but I'll be using my credit union's neo-lease program, called "MAPS". It has no acquisition, security deposit, or 1st mo payment required, plus no excess wear and tear clause. The whole upfront money goes toward reducing your loan amount. This savings is partially offset by the need to pay sales tax on the whole car (but there is then no lease tax), and a slightly lower residual (57% vs 60%), but in the end, the payments will be slightly lower, and having no wear and tear clause is big. If you have access to such a program, do a serious comparo. You might find its a better deal than BMWNA.
    Congratulations on your cars! I will be purchasing soon too.
    I don't have my car, yet, so every thought is going thru my head. I'm having a little bit of buyers remorse about not getting real leather. I drove both, and the extra $1,400 was not doable, so I won't change my order. I did a ton of research on this, and felt totally comfortable about the leatherette when I placed the order, so I'll stick with my initial decision. I do think the black 'ette looks more like real leather than the tan. And, the 'ette doesn't come in brown, which is a beautiful interior combo.

The HK is worth it IMO. I listened to both, and if you have an ear for fidelity, you will definitely notice the extra sound reproduction range of the system and speakers. The base system killed my jazz music.

Don't sweat the step. It is very smooth, and seems tailored to the power band of the 325. It also has a sport mode and is fun in manual mode. I got it. Hell, MOST people get it. Its not a substitute for a manual, though, so don't kid yourself on that. Its a little expensive. I would have liked to save the $1,275, but I have the same convenience/wife issues as you. Manuals are hell with a cell phone.

You better have a strong constitution, though, if you plan to hang around here - these guys are merciless on cars w/out manual and SP.
  • soverypoornowsoverypoornow Member Posts: 74
    Day 1:
    Took delivery. Salesman said a lot of orientation-type things. I heard none. I was on sensory overload. Just kept looking at the car. Thinking "Gimme the keys. Gimme the keys." Got the keys. Like holding a newborn baby. Afraid to break it. Drive carefully everywhere I go. More nervous than joyful.

Day 2:
    Walk into garage. See new car. Still seems like someone else's. "My, that's a pretty car," I think. "Hey, that's mine!" Still nervous, but having a little more fun. Getting on freeway a much more exhilarating experience. The permanent smile begins.

Day 3:
    Yeeeeeeeeehaaaaaa! That's my car! It sinks in. Couldn't sleep the night before because I was so anxious to get up and drive to work. I completely understand those that say driving their bimmer is like therapy. It so is. Sit inside with the black lthr interior, "metal" trim and nav. Beautifully simple and elegant. Heck, I don't even care if the nav system works, it looks awesome with this combo. With smile plastered on my face I get on the freeway with glee. 4500 RPM comes so quickly. Too quickly. Must take 1,134-mile road trip soon. Get rid of this darned break-in period.

Day 4:
    Today. Went to bed with visions of my car in my head. Woke up with that silly grin. Can't wait to go some more. Planning trips to the mountains, the beach (one of the good things about SoCal), anywhere. What am I doing here sitting at my computer? Gotta go...
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    LOL...yep that about describes it :)
  • ddblueddblue Member Posts: 117
    Brave: Yep, I do have to shift into 3rd at 58/59 mph. I am just shy of the rev limiter, too. Despite that, I couldn't be happier with my 325Ci. 16K miles and it runs like a dream.

BTW, whatever happened to that offer by a poster to host a website where we could post photos? I would love to see shots of your 3.
    You know, don't you, that you can see photos of Brave's (and others) cars at the BMW 3-Series Owners: Photo Gallery?
    What's better than shots of my car is a shot of 5 BMW's at the autoX waiting eagerly for the next run. Shtroumpf is in the middle.

At the AutoX

Click above for a closer look
    According to the BMW Owner's Circle, my 325i is "Awaiting Transport". I assume this means its sitting in a warehouse in South Africa waiting to be trucked to a boat. Actually, the SA thing doesn't bother me anymore - its kind of exotic. I've been to Europe twice - never seen Africa.

About how long did it take for your cars to arrive after they went into "Awaiting Transport" stage? Anyone with an SA build who can comment?
    I hope I hear the dealer explanations tomorrow. I might be on sensory overload too. No plans for road trip but work has been hard & it would be so nice to get away with new car. Dealer says its better to sign all papers THEN go over the car but to me that seems wrong wrong wrong.
    Beautiful car. Your's is the blue one to the right of the 330 w/"523" on it, right?

It looks like you have different (and IMO) much nicer wheels with your 2001 SP than those that are available on the 2002 SP. Its hard to tell for sure in the photo, though. I like the base 2002 325 wheels better than the 2002 325 SP, but I love your wheels. And the "M" wheels on the 330i SP - awesome.
    I'm aware that there are a few programming customizations that have to be done to the car after the dealer receives it. Things like whether the lights blink on locking, whether the car locks automatically after pull out, etc..

Did you guys have this done prior to pick-up, or did the dealer discuss this with you when you arrived? I'm tempted to get on the web site owner's manual, find out what my options are, and write a memo to my dealer in advance of my cars arrival, telling him how I want it programmed.

Did any of you do something similar? How do you think it would be received?
    Correct. Thanks. The "M" wheels on the 330 to the left of my car are much more aggressive; the Star 44 wheels on my car are classier, though (imo, of course). I thought the '02 325i SP's wheels are very similar to the '01 model's - aren't they also 7-spoke?