Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 3-Series 2005 and earlier

Comments

• tenet1tenet1 Member Posts: 354
    My car sat awaiting transport forever in SA. Then all of a sudden it was half way across the atlantic. Sometimes the system is not very up to date. From this point you are looking at 6 weeks to the US.
  • silverprincesssilverprincess Member Posts: 75
    I bought my CPO'd 99 323i SP which came with the VSpoke Style 54 (16"), and the dealer 4 brand new Conti's too.

But I liked the 17" 44's so much that within the first week, I bought brand new wheels and ordered Michelin Pilot Sports from TireRack. Looks so much better now, definitely more aggressive. I get compliments from people all the time.

Now if someone can tell me how to post pictures here, I'll be glad to post a few.

Charles
    1999 323i manual w/ SP, Jet Black/Tan leather, wood, moonroof, rear-folding seats.
  • brave1heartbrave1heart Member Posts: 2,698
    One Week Before Pickup, send your dealer the Car and Key Memory worksheet and verify with dealer what you do/don't want. Call them now for a copy of the worksheet. Also, judging by your questions, it will help you a lot to read the FAQ server on e46fanfatics.com -

http://www.e46fanatics.com/faq/faqs.php

p.s. The Owner's Circle status is typically behind by a week or more.

• eoseos Member Posts: 27
    When we picked up our 325i last month at BMW of Sterling in Northern VA, the salesman was very comfortable with our position that we would not settle the paper work until we had looked the car over and taken it for a test drive. This was based a few past experiences buying a Honda "off the lot", where one car my son wanted had an engine problem (repeated stalling; we bought a different color than originally wanted).

It all worked out well, we love the car (Orient Blue, sand, PP, heated seats).

Good luck,
    Bob
  • orkwisorkwis Member Posts: 82
    Okay, my apologies for asking this yet again, but I can't seem to locate the post. How does one track an ED vehicle once it has been given to Harms?
  • gurumikegurumike Member Posts: 442
    Infiniti G35 just became the first car ever to edge BMW out of first place in it's Super sedan shootout. In an 11 car test they picked the G35 first over the 330i, apparently for it's 'bargain' price. The 330i did score the most points as a car though...!!! hmmm
    As I've said on many previous occasions.. "It only costs a little more to go through life first class and it's always worth it."
    Well done Infiniti, too!
    Who's "they", who did the comparo? C&D compared the G35 and the 330i recently and they thought that although the two cars are very close, the 330i was still 7-grand better (even if it were only for the fact that it holds its value much better). I always thought that the G35 was a great competitor for the 3-series and that it is no IS300. The G35 coupe may even be a better car than the 3-series coupe and not just because it is much cheaper. This should be a wake-up call for BMW and get them to focus more on perfecting performance and everything else that defines the brand instead of wasting money on gizmos like the iDrive that most of the 7-series owners won't know how to use anyhow. Well done, Infiniti!!
  • ultrarunnerultrarunner Member Posts: 64
    Any idea how long it takes the BMW to confirm a ED order once the Dealer submits? Thanks
  • dantlodantlo Member Posts: 106
    I am glad your brother in law is ok. My wife was in an almost head on collison in her 3 series conv with top down 4 years ago and she walked out without a single drop of blood on her while the bimmer was totalled. Hats off to BMW.

I happen to want to sell my 2001 325i seden if your brother is interested. I live in the L.A area.

E-mail me if you like.
    Dantlo@aol.com

Dan
  • postoakpostoak Member Posts: 537
    orkwis - I did the Mapquest thing as you suggested. As far as I can tell, the dropoff point is only about a mile east of Schipol Airport. Is that correct? Off the A9, near the intersection of A4? Very convenient, if so, and I don't have to drive into the old city.
  • jean7of9jean7of9 Member Posts: 192
    Are the 57 cup holders optional or they do come with 57 Starbucks mugs compliments of BMW?
    After delivery, would BMW deliver some diet pills in the fuel tank to shed off the excess insulation weight? A modern design would let the insulation material to disintegrate with engine noise. With this approach an older L becomes ever faster than a new one.
  • gurumikegurumike Member Posts: 442
    It was Road and Track. I forgot to say.
  • leenelsonmdleenelsonmd Member Posts: 208
    Shipo: I was glad to hear your brother-in-law is ok. I was curious though...Was it a T-bone at 40mph on the DRIVER side or PASSENGER side? Any T-bone wreck is prone to serious traumatic brain injury, (even at low speeds 15-20mph) but a T-bone on the driver side is especially problematic (for the driver of course).

Soverypoor: The most expensive BMW on the lot is still the most affordable therapy you will ever get.
    R&T have zero credibility in my book anyhow...
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    LeeNelsonMD,

I think it was on the passengers side of the car. I do know that for 24 hours or so, he was fairly disoriented, and forgetting what he was saying, mid sentense. He seems to be well on the mend though.

All,

Thanks for your concern. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • bbell4bbell4 Member Posts: 34
    A fellow BMW owner told me my 325i was probalby being BUILT in South Carolina. I told him he was nuts - Germany or South Africa maybe but NOT South Carolina. Am I a complete moron to even question if this is true???
    I think you have the coordinates right. The place is really on the edge of the airport and you'll see it as your flight takes off. The BMW map will make sense once you get off the highway. Just remember, the Harms agent is on the 2nd floor (3rd for us Americans) not the 1st (147 is listed I think). They still keep the phone number listed by BMW as a second line if you need to call but it hasn't been their main number for 2 years. Walk up the stairs and their office faces the street. I found it a little hard to find parking near them, but there is a lot across the street, if you aren't afraid of a few construction potholes!

Don't forget to visit Amsterdam's red light district and the magic mushroom shop, although I'm not sure I can still pass a drug screen because of all the second hand smoke! (only kidding, I think)
    Only the Z3 and the X5 are built in Spartanburg, SC.
    Thanks! Finding that Harms office was the one thing I hadn't researched. In Munich finding everything will be easy -- I'll let a cab driver do it!

My wife and I are a little old for the marijuana thing and USING the Red Light district is definitely out, but, we'll go there just to check it out. I have a close friend who just got back from there on "business" and so he can give me details on what to see. I was surprised to learn from him that tobacco is so big in Holland. I had never thought about it -- certainly we who live so near the Gulf of Mexico don't see Holland product -- but apparently the former Dutch colonies in the East Indies are big tobacco producing states.
    I actually agree with your assessment on the Amsterdam drug culture, but it is certainly something worth seeing for amusement purposes. Living in the Mid-West drugs aren't really pervasive as they are in the bigger cities in the U.S. (I grew up in NYC), but walking through a very nice residential area in Amsterdam I was struck by how often I smelt that tell-tale odor. I would also not recommend USING the red-light district. It has a strange attraction, I'd admit, but I spent my first night sitting in a bar watching this cute young thing working a VERY OLD English looking fella; she was clearly his eye candy and earning every Euro. I felt very sorry for her, it ain't Pretty Woman!

Regarding tobacco it seemed to me it remains a birthright in Europe; a lot like going to Vegas! But if you like a good cigar you can get Cubanos there. Amsterdam was a nice place to visit, I'm sure will be amused by all the bicycles, but on average I thought it a somewhat grubby city: very crowed. The food was good and the beer great, but it will definately be better to leave the car with Harms ASAP and enjoy the rest of your time getting around by tram or taxi. Have fun!
  • vkwheelsvkwheels Member Posts: 218
    It's a beautiful car. Still feel a little nervous with it, it (she) is so obviously in a different class than what I was used to. :-D Steel Blue is definitely the classiest & prettiest color. Tan interior makes it tres elegant. :-D Ride & feel are excellent. :-D Feels solid as a tank, but so oh responsive. :-D
  • skemplerskempler Member Posts: 2
    I am close to getting a33o convert but can't make up my mind on color. I love the new brown interior, but can't make up mind on exterior. I am going Euro del and can order anything. Any suggestions on the ultmate covert combo
  • nerdnerd Member Posts: 203
    My wife selected the electric red with the natural brown leather for her new 325Ci. It is a terrific combination.
    I vote for Alpine White.
  • soverypoornowsoverypoornow Member Posts: 74
    ...and welcome to the sillygrincrowd!
  • 1pierce1pierce Member Posts: 284
    Actually, it costs ALOT more to go through life first class.

But, I'll concede that its worth it,...if you can afford it.
    Electric Red w/Brown Leather. There is no second.

Remember, if it isn't red,...its dead! Especially in a coupe.
    The SP wheels on the 2002 have spokes that flare out from center. They also have a square raised accent line that runs down the center of each spoke. I think the result makes them less attractive than yours, and harder to clean. Also, I think the finish is different (maybe more matte and less "shiny"), but I'm not sure about that as I haven't seen an '01 sedan w/SP on the road in a while.

Actually, BMW's are not all that common in Pgh, unless you go to certain parts of town. This is still a very practical, meat and potatoes city. Camrys, Accords and SUV's fill every parking lot. I like it, though, as it lends a little exclusivity to the ownership experience.
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    Congrats on your new baby!

I have to argue though that Oxford Green Metallic/nat brown leather is the prettiest et le plus elegant du monde. :) My color is better than your color, nyah nyah nyah. :) Seriously, I've had my car for 3 months now, and I still go, "oh my gosh" whenever I get in the thing. I can't believe I'm driving something like this. The silly grin will appear at the following times:
    1. Walking up to it. :D
    2. Closing the door. Welcome to the vault. :D
    3. Starting her up. :D
    4. Pressing the gas pedal. :D
    5. Driving on the highway and just blasting past somebody, with NO effort. :D
    6. Essentially any time you think about it. :D

To make things even sweeter, my wife surprised me on Father's Day with XM Satellite radio, which should be a god-send in the mountains and valleys of soCal. I may be replacing the speakers with MB Quart at some point, but we'll see.

Again, congrats.

-Paul
    To all 3'er Fathers,

Just wanted to wish all of you a Happy Father's day. I had the chance to relax for once (been VERY crazy at work and home). Remember to say Happy Father's day to the mother too. Without them, you wouldn't be a father. :)

My wife surprised me with an XM radio (satellite) setup for my 3er. I will be installing it this weekend and I'm really excited. Now to upgrade the rest... :)

-Paul
  • mr323mr323 Member Posts: 30
    I discussed programming options with the dealer about a week in advance and they had it all done when I arrived. The choices for our 325 were pretty straightforward: auto locking, daytime running lights, blinking clown nose, one-click/two clicks (driver's door/all doors), enabling rear airbags (option we added) and perhaps one other. I would suggest calling the dealer, talking through choices, and have them get the work in advance (because it'll save a little time). We went with: no autolock, no running light, clown nose on, 2-stage opening, and air bags on (for our daughters, 16 and 10 years old; air bags are a more difficult decision for younger kids, I think).

Best wishes,

Ed
    We opted for the airbags in the rear too. Ours are 16 and 12 years old. In my mind, that is cheap insurance for rear occupant safety.

In that respect, we opted for the autolocking too. Easier to make sure the rear doors don't open inadvertently.

It is nice that these options (drls, etc) are optionable in the BMW. Not all car manufacturers offer that flexibility.

-Paul
  • mg330cimg330ci Member Posts: 162
    Yes!, at 45. (Not that I'm 45 although getting there kind of fast)

I mean 4500 RPM :)

Just passed the 1200 mile mark, and wow, the motor gets really sweet after 4500 rpm
  • mg330cimg330ci Member Posts: 162
    While waiting in the airport for a connecting flight, I started to browse through the new issue of C&D at the newsstand and found this article.

Interesting learning points IMHO:

1.- The Acura is actually louder than the BMW under acceleration. MMMMM, interesting.

2.-Kudos to Acura for building a GREAT car! (to me, the greatest bargain in the auto industry)(Don't worry for Honda, they are not giving it for free)

3.-Is BMW becoming a softie! big blow last year with the light steering fiasco. Now, C&D claims that the bimmer leans and waves more that the Acura. C'MON BMW, what's wrong with you.

4.-WOW, they manage to squieese 0-60 in 5.8 sec (and 5.9 in the Acura!) nice numbers. Now if somebody asks me, I can claim that my car does 0-60 in 5.8 (supercar territory a few years ago).

5.-BMW still numero uno. Yes, I agree on that.
    Actually it is much better to go first class if you can get someone else to pay for it! That's what you call having your cake and eating it too. That said, I'm too cheap to pay for a nice color, my vote agrees with postoak... Alpine White with Sand 'ette.

The Trinidad hits NY this Friday with my ride!!! Wallenius has a website for those interested in tracking their ED across the waves. Any guesses about how long it takes from making port to dealer to delivery? Anyone do this near a holiday like July 4th?

Waiting anxiously remembering twisties through the Alps and reaching the limiter on the Autobahn (after 1500 miles of course)!

BTW: Been tracking USA WC action and stumbled across the FIFA threads. I've got to say, at its ugliest (and even the ugliest of the ugliest Edmunds boards) these boards are clearly full of gentlemen and ladies, almost makes you not want to leave the US for a ED. To paraphrase Sally Field, they hate us, they really hate us. At least a few of them. Amazing how anonymity brings out the worst in people. Kudos to the crew here on the 3er thread.
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    5.8!! That's faster than the G35. NOWAY :) Did anyone see the under $55K evaluation on Edmunds.
  • elmo2002elmo2002 Member Posts: 7
    I'm in the market for a 2002 BMW 325i.

I've had two different colleagues tell me that they've had problems with South African-assembled BMW 3 Series and that I should try to get a German-assembled car. It sounds silly to me, but I still wanted to ask the Board if anyone shares my colleagues' experience.
  • dl7265dl7265 Member Posts: 1,381
    They take their football serious, just ask the Columbian that made an own goal in WC USA 94, and was murdered.

This is a huge step in the worlds greatest game for our National team.Even though most games are at 1:25Am CST, the ratings have been high. Im glad too see that they out rated a lakers basketball game, this is for National Pride, not just an other playoff.

To stay on topic my dealer bungled my service appointment for today and forgot to tell the valet to deliver me a BMW to drive. Will try again for tomorrow , this is my last "free" service. Ill post more results later...

DL
    Elmo: God, I hope you're wrong. I was just getting comfortable with my SA built 325i that is "awaiting transport" in SA.

Help Guys!! Tell us some stories about your "perfect" SA cars.

orkwis: Who says Alpine White, Jet Black and Electric Red aren't "nice" colors? My 325i will be red, and I think I'm the luckiest guy on this Board (haven't heard from anyone else with a red sedan). (Just MHO. No flame war, please)
  • kyyuankyyuan Member Posts: 12
    Everyone,

I've been reading this board for a while now. As a soon-to-be buyer of a 330i, I appreciated reading helpful, candid messages. I have just two quick questions.

1. Has anyone dealt with peoplefirst.com for an auto loan? What was the general experience? (sorry for the 2-part question)
    2. Any experience with Autobahn BMW in Fort Worth, Texas? (I'm in Dallas and am not a fan of the local dealers here)

Thanks for all your help.

Ken
  • vkwheelsvkwheels Member Posts: 218
    I was impressed with PeopleFirst rates & service level & was going to use them. I ended up taking a lower rate from the BMW dealer (going through Chase) at the last minute. Didn't have time to contact PF to see if they could or would match it.
    Sorry for the wrong impression; I agree with you, red, black and white are fine colors. I've had white cars before and found them to still look good without being spotless clean, unlike many other colors. However, it's clear from the board that for most folks color choice is emotional (kinda like blonde, brunette or red head!) but for me it's economical/philosophical; I really like a bunch of colors but wouldn't pay extra for them. FWIW, red was my second choice.
  • pcbrspcbrs Member Posts: 57
    My parents purchased an LS430 with the help of PeopleFirst. The manager we spoke to wasn't very friendly in the beginning, but she turned out to be helpful and understanding.

The payment options are extremely convenient, since they withdraw from your bank account, and their rates are hard to beat. The Lexus sales manager who we bought the car from couldn't believe the interest rate we were paying with PeopleFirst... Very, very low. He asked us how he could find out more about it.

So, I highly recommend it. Go for it. Also, it'll probably help this incredible website, Edmunds..., since PeopleFirst advertises here. It's the least we can do, if everything else is equal.

Jeff
    I was just kidding. Alpine White was actually my second choice, given the fact that I also wanted to spend the extra money on other things. To be honest, none of the metallics really moved me (except Topaz Blue, which I liked better in pictures than in person).

That said, if Electric Red (or better yet, the old "Bright" red) was $475 more expensive than the other colors, I would have paid it. Therefore, I understand why people pay extra for the color they like.
  • rshaw11rshaw11 Member Posts: 52
    My dealer had difficulity getting the programming correct; it took multiple visits. I selected auto locks and DRL, among other things. I think they are both important safety features, and make your life easier.
  • rshaw11rshaw11 Member Posts: 52
    I've only had mine for three weeks, 1150 miles, but it has been perfect so far. Seems to be really put together well, workmanship is first rate.
  • chewie5chewie5 Member Posts: 61
    Elmo,

What kinds of problems are you referring to? I have a 2002 325i built in SA and while I haven't had any major problems, I have had some minor annoyances. However, I don't know if these are isolated to SA build cars or not:

1. Steering wheel is not centered (when the car is going straight, the wheel is rotated a bit instead of being centered)

2. Occasional glitch with the steering wheel controls--when I lower the volume, it sometimes changes the CD track/radio station

3. Smelly A/C

4. Auto open function from the key fob (windows/moonroof) doesn't seem to function consistently

Other than that, the car has been absolutely wonderful. Oh, btw I've had the car for about 4 months, and it has about 6500 miles.
  • chewie5chewie5 Member Posts: 61
    Anyone else notice that even with all that extra horsepower that the CL-S is not really faster than the 330ci?

Score another one for BMW.
  • mr323mr323 Member Posts: 30
    I thought hard about DRL but figured that it is so sunny here in the desert that the headlights would add little to the visibility of our titanium silver car. And I can always turn them on if I want to. I think I also worried about burning out those expensive xenons.

Doing it over again, I think I would turn on the autolock feature, and I might do so during the first service visit or some other convenient time. I drive with the doors unlocked, but perhaps my wife would be better off with them locked. The effect of the one click/two click unlocking feature is that 3/4 of the doors remain locked most of the time.

Oh, I think the walkway lighting feature was another option that we turned on: click the brights as you turn off the car and the headlights remain illuminated for 40 secs. to help you find your way. Or something like that.

Best wishes,

Ed
  • twoof1twoof1 Member Posts: 308
    '01 325i with 30,000 miles and NOT ONE build quality issue. This issue has been discussed in length here. You might want to try to search and review many of the previous post's on this subject.