Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 3-Series 2005 and earlier

Comments

• visionxpvisionxp Member Posts: 45
    hello again,

i was wondering... on the 92-95 3 series models the A/C controlling unit(or whatever it's called) is a little bit old fashioned(the classic setup with the turning dials).
    can that be replaced with one of the newer ones(electronic with LCD display and a lot nicer) used on the 96 and later models without replacing the whole A/C system and without changing the dash.

it might sound like a stupid q but im curious if theres any way for this to be done.
  • bimmerlover1bimmerlover1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 325i and over the course of the past 6 months, I have acquired 3 tiny door dings. It is not the end of the world, but I want my baby looking tip top. Dent Busters, a local paintless dent repair company says that they can get the dings out no problem (for only 40 dollars a ding) and that they do all of the work for the local BMW dealership. Would anyone reccommend this or is there a better way to go? I am concerned about them removing the door panels and having subsequent speaker vibration or road noise. Has anyone dealt with Dent Busters in Austin, Tx? If so, please tell me your impressions, good or bad. Thanks.
  • denkdenk Member Posts: 75
    I recently had DentBusters remove a good-sized ding and crease from the passenger side door of my wife's car and they did an unbelievably good job. Even in bright sunlight there is absolutely no evidence of the ding. And, in my case, they did not have to remove the door panels. They somehow snake the special tools through the window opening. I'm not in Texas, but assume the methods they use would be fairly consistent since it's a franchise operation.
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    The switch can be done, but I understand that the procedure is quite involved and expensive.
    Well, there are more than a few E36 owners who would take issue with that salesman's comments. I've spent a lot of seat time in the newer cars and while they are excellent machines I prefer my E36. It's all a quetion of personal preference.
  • visionxpvisionxp Member Posts: 45
    ... ok so its not that easy but it can be done you say?
    i was thinking that since both units have the same size all you have to do is take the old one out and then connect the wires to the new unit and put that one in.

are you saying theres more to it than just replacing the controls? like wires that have to be added?or something like that?
  • euishikbangeuishikbang Member Posts: 6
    I posted my message about a month ago about buying my friend's 1999 328i
    We finally got to the negotiation process and the price came down to $21,500
    It is jet black 1999 BMW 328i with 45000 miles Opitions include sports package, premium package, steptronic transmission, xenon headlamps, trunk mounted CD changer and it is in good condition.
    I wanted to know whether this was a good deal or not because I have to give him the answer as soon as possible....
    Thanks
  • nerdnerd Member Posts: 203
    There are several sources to evaluate pricing on used vehicles...

- Edmunds - click on "used" at the top of the page
    - Kelley Blue Book
    - NADA book - that seems to be the most common
    source for new car dealers to determine value
    - a local car dealer whom you know.
  • bimmer3ibimmer3i Member Posts: 48
    Anyone here who installed xenon light on their 330i? I just got my 2003 330i for almost a month. For some reasons, I didn't get xenon when I order my 330i. Now, I'm really decided to have one installed.
    Any suggestion on where can I order xenon for 330i and how difficult to install it?
    Any suggestions will be much appreciated.
    TIA
    Ron
    I checked the UUC Digest archives. Apparently there is(was?)a BMW kit to convert the E36 HVAC panel to the newer electronic style. The cost was somewhere around $2000 US. You might want to check with Maximillian Imports.
  • joes230joes230 Member Posts: 94
    E46 xenons are self-leveling, which is really nice. Not sure if any aftermarket xenons have this feature.
  • knueppelknueppel Member Posts: 3
    Hello everyone, I just ordered a 325ci today and am curious how long delivery time takes once the car is built. I was told that production of my car will be in January and that I should expect the car in the Mar-April time frame. I am purchasing through a BMW military sales program if that makes a difference. Additionally, how likely is it that I will receive my car on or around the date I was told.

Thanks in advance
  • brave1heartbrave1heart Member Posts: 2,698
    Mine only took 5 weeks to Boston back in April 2001. It may be two extra weeks if you are on the West Coast and two extra weeks if your car is shipped from South Africa.
  • kominskykominsky Member Posts: 850
    My car had a mid-January build and arrived at my dealership (S.E. PA) on Feb 28th. So that's pretty much in line with Brave's 5 weeks. Mine was also 2001.
  • jb_shinjb_shin Member Posts: 357
    Not sure where you are ordering from (outside of US), but if you are going through the military sales program, it does take a while. I ordered the car and picked it up in Germany, but it still took 4 months. Granted, we did have some problem, but the car was built and ready for shipment in 3 months. Again, depending on where you are ordering from, it may vary. Generally, cars purchased via BMW NA takes MUCH less time, as indicated above.
    Thanks joes230 for your response. It seems that there are very few who did install the xenon for E46.
    Anyway, I'll appreciate any info on the aftermarket xenon.
  • riezriez Member Posts: 2,361
    Check out the latest issue of Car & Driver, 12/02. Read the "Baubles and Bolt-Ons" part of their long-term review of the Mercury Mountaineer, p. 143. They discuss their experiences with PIAA's Xtreme White Plus halogen bulbs. They bought a pair from the Tire Rack for $81. Took 'em 10 minutes to install. They state, "the PIAA bulbs projected a brighter, whiter light with a hint of blue-similar in color to HIDs, if not in brillance. For well under $100, the PIAA's gleaming improvement seems worth the price."
    I found webstores selling that bulb but since I haven't read or heard any reviews regarding those lights, I didn't give further attention to it. It comes with (I think) 3 levels of lighting.
    Maybe I'll give it a try and I'll post the result.
    Thanks again riez for the info.
    I installed a set of these bulbs on a '97 Integra. They are whiter that the original halogens, but not blue like HIDs. They turned very good headlights into outstanding headlights. But, one has to consider the cost vs. benefits.
    Did the three month process begin after the car started production or did this time period start when you ordered the car.

Thanks for the help-Chris
    It is looking like I will be without a car for a little over a month. Is anyone aware of a cheap long-term used rental company in the bay area? The cheaper the better. I am aware of rent a wreck rental service but the cars are really not that old and the rates are similar to regular rental companies.

-carless one
  • vkwheelsvkwheels Member Posts: 218
    I rented from Rent-a-Wreck after I sold my car & before I got my new baby. OMG, never again! The car was a Daihatsu Elan or Elos (?), 2002 model, the windshied wipers were already rusty and the seats made my back hurt after one day. And since the rates are much the same as others, why bother with them is my attitude. I returned it asap & ended up bumming rides from my co-workers and friends for a week. Best wishes for cheap wheels.
  • jacqueslanjacqueslan Member Posts: 10
    Hi all,

1 week since we got 03 325i to replace 1999 323i; quite a different car. Really a nice car. The new one beats 3.2TL hands down. I did enjoyed reading the posts. Now I have a question; what can be programmed?? Mirror tilt?? I am told only on 5 and 7. Can you get the clown nose to flash even if you do not have alarm system?? Thanks. Jl
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    You can get the clown nose progammed. See this link. http://www.bmwnation.com/tech/tech_3carkeycfg_01.html

In addition the mirror tilt is controlled by the position of the mirror control on the drivers door. At least on my 02' 330i. I don't remember if right or left controls the tilt, but if you put the car in reverse and change the position of the mirror control, you should see the passenger mirror tilt.

• climatecontrolclimatecontrol Member Posts: 15
    Hello everyone

I must say first of all I enjoy reading the posts on this website. It's good to see so many people who are into cars as much as I am and willing to share so much valuable information. Most of the people that use this website should be the true car sales reps instead of the people we have to deal with at the dealerships.

I know my post is not completely about 3 series BMW's, but I wanted to share this with everyone.

Today, I had to take my sisters 2001 330 couple to a local Dallas(John Roberts BMW)dealership for repairs since she had to leave for a job related trip this morning. For some reason the airbag light will not turn off. This is the third time this has happened.

I checked her car into the dealership this morning and explained the situation to the service rep. He was very understanding. They gave me a 2002 530 sport demo for a loaner car since they were experiencing a high amount of warranty work this week for some reason. As I was walking out of the service bay, I couldn't help but to notice so many 3 series BMW's in for repairs or service.

I walked to the front of new car sales area in hopes of getting a look at the new 7 series. As I was looking around, a sales rep came to me. He explained to me that they didn't have one on the floor, but willing to show one to me on the lot. He gave me the key and told me to take it for a run. As I sat in the car, he explained to me how to use I Drive and how to start the car. I must say, it's harder than it looks in the articles and on the websites.

The sales rep directed me to many sharp curves and flat areas for me to just floor it. It's amazing what 345hp can do.

After arriving back to the dealership, I tried to speak numbers to him. Would you believe that they would not come off the sticker at all......keep in mind the new 7 has been out about a year now. He told me that the most they have came off of any BMW sold new is $500. That includes 3,5,7,Z,X5..etc... I couldn't believe it.

I was shocked that a lux car dealership was so open about taking their flagship $ 80,000 car out for a hard test drive today, but when I've test driven common cars such as Hondas,Toyotas,etc....I have to show my Drivers L,Insurance, deed to my house, and rights to my first born child just to take their $25,000 cars down the street and back. Go figure.

Back to the 3 series point. I feel that the 3 series is the best value for a BMW. After driving the 7, at $ 80,000, it didn't make me feel as I had to have it. At $ 80,000 I should feel as if I couldn't live without the car after driving it. The 3 series has a special way of making the driver feel as if he/she can't live without the car.

I'm seriously in the market for another car right now. My price budget is 32K max.(I just bought a house and need to stay within a budget) I really would like to have a 3 series, but I'm feeling a little shy about buying one because of the high cost of keeping it up and the many problems so many people have run into. Used or CPO is the only way I can afford a 3 series. I've thought about the CPO program- 2000 model 328- in order to save a little money, but I'm concerned about the cost of keeping it up. My list of possible cars: 2002 Nissan Max SE, 2001 VW Passat GLX,2000 Lin LS V8, 1999-2000 Lexus GS,2001 Lexus ES, waiting another year for a Infi G35 to fit my budget, or 1999-2000 BMW 323 or 328. I know with the Lexus GS or ES, and VW I will have to do some upgrades to the springs/wheel/tire package to get the tighter sport feel that I like. But again, nothing can replace the feeling I get from driving the 3 series.

Please give any suggestions on a solution.My
    Email Ad: Topdog240@hotmail.com if anyone would like to comment.
    Thank you

Ben
  • joes230joes230 Member Posts: 94
    The G35 "Luxury Leather" automatic sedan MSRP is 30195 (www.carsdirect.com). You could probably get it for $29195. Even with tax that's below your 32k ceiling. The G35 is a really great car. Not quite as refined as a 330i but it handles really well and has tons of power and lots of room.

There's also the cloth seat G35 with 16" tires for $27645. Somewhat de-contented interior but has the same engine and suspension.

-- Joe
    2003 330i SP 5-speed
  • ipatty13ipatty13 Member Posts: 47
    You might be surprised at the cost of a new e46, if you did some research & negotiation.

You could definitely get a 325 nicely equipped for under 32K through European Delivery. If you're not familiar with this process, check out the BMW ED board here on Edmunds.

also, this is an excellent link:

<http://www.bariaur.com/e39/EDsavings.html>

Take a 2003 325i, for example,

base ED invoice = 23,530

premium pkg = 2,455

sport pkg = 1,275

destination = 695

TOTAL 27,955

(automatic tranny costs additional $1,210)

plus dealer profit max. of 1,500 (you can get lower if you try hard enough)

= 29,455 (of course, you need to factor a r/t ticket to Munich (c. $500), tax and title.

You can check out the wholesale ED prices on www.eurobuyers.com

If you're worried about service costs, the 2003's come with 4 years/50k standard service included.

The G35 has a bigger engine, but it's no BMW!

• tenet1tenet1 Member Posts: 354
    Are you joking! With 32K or even less you can get a well equipped 325i. I paid 33.5K for mine and have many options on it including auto. Get a manual tranny and your are well below 32K, Leave out the heated seats and 6 CD and you can drive out the door for less that 32K (includes taxes, tags etc.). That will still leave you with the Premium package, Leather, Xenons, and metallic paint.

I haven't paid a dime to maintain my car yet and dont plan to for the next 2 years because maintanence is included. These cars are very solid and dependable.

Did I mention that this car is a blast!!!
    I paid 32,1xx out the door for a 2002 325i, and that's with Auto (Step) & the metallic paint. The 2003s are supposed to come with an add'l (4th) year of service, that's a plus on the cost side too. You could consider Lexus IS300 also, but it might be too smallish for your tastes.
  • mr323mr323 Member Posts: 30
    Well, maybe I don't wish to be that emphatic, but I went through a similar reasoning process last spring. To be honest, I thought it over for about a year before placing an order. (I figured that the longer I drove my old car, the more financial and moral capital I amassed for the new car.) Anyway, with a demanding job and a daughter heading off to college, my tolerance for repair shop time and bills is pretty low. (OK, so I should buy a Toyota. Well, I already have a Sienna....) As I looked into prices I found that newer CPOs rival brand-new BMWs in price. And as a social scientist, I figured a newer BMW is available for resale for a reason: on average, such cars have a higher probability of problems than those retained by their original owners. So, I bought new (from Cutter Motors in Santa Barbara) and have been delighted for more than 5,000 miles.

If I were to do it over, I would do it ED: at worst a wash price-wise and by all accounts an incomparable experience.

Best wishes,

Ed
  • pal12pal12 Member Posts: 7
    A strange beeping noise came on today on my 325xi. It seemed to be coming from the radio area but no warning lights. It wasn't the cold temp warning either. The noise stopped after about 10 beeps but repeated again with the same pattern.

Does anybody have any ideas. Thanks a lot in advance.
    Call Mike Pile BMW in Tyler. My wife bought her 2002 325Ci there. Best buying experience she has ever had. The Dallas and Houston dealers in general are arrogant and charge MSRP.
  • rtorrecartorreca Member Posts: 74
    I'm sure it's been asked before but handling-wise, is there a difference between the 325i and 330i (both standard-no SP)?
    pal12 - Is it possible that the temperature was 37F or lower? The OBC has a warning beep when the temps dip low enough to potentially cause freezing on the road.

rtorreca - The 330's come standard with sport suspension. That combined with the standard lower profile 17" rubber would probably give the 330 the handling edge. If both cars wore the same rubber and had sport suspension, the 325i would probably have a slight advantage due to the 200lb less weight.
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    Dropping the '03 3 series from the recommended list? Given that the categories in '02 have those funny red circles with dots. What happened?
  • hgeyerhgeyer Member Posts: 188
    The last line of their write-up says it all.

"Reliability has fallen to below average, so we no longer recommend the 3-Series."

I hope this is a wake-up call to BMW. I can tolerate "reliability issues". What I can't stand is the arrogant dealership network that I must rely upon to get warranty work completed!
  • leenelsonmdleenelsonmd Member Posts: 208
    The passenger rear tilt mirror on the '03 3 series is adjustable. This is a brand new feature. Your dealer has to have the latest version (I think it is 31) of the software to do it, but it can be done. My car was the first that BMW Houston North had to adjust and they eventually got it worked out. The service guys all said "Yeah it is easy on the 5 and 7. We did not know it could be done on the 3 series."
    So I picked up my 2003 M3 coupe, PP, xenons, HK steel gray metallic exactly 3 weeks ago. It had 4 miles on it when I drove it off the lot. Today it has 1800 miles on it...what can I say? It is awesome. I put my wife and kid to sleep and then go out and drive off into the night. I love it. It is like having your own personal therapist. Every moment in the car is worth every penny I am paying for it. It is hard to keep it under a 100mph.
    BTW: I have an '95 E36 325i (4 door) with 96.5k miles, premium package (leather and sunroof), split rear seats, alarm, traction control, 6 CD changer, meticulous BMW maintenance, garage parked, regular washed and waxed for sale. Color is Artic Gray metallic.

I am asking $10,500. Is this reasonable? I want it to sell pretty fast.
    <<< the 325i would probably have a slight advantage due to the 200lb less weight. >>>

The actual difference is 50-100 lbs. Maybe you were thinking RWD vs. AWD? The non-SP 330i will definitely handle better than the 325i. If they are both have the SP, their handling should be very similar - the 325i SP is a little lighter but the 330i SP has wider tires in the rear, which may give it slightly better traction.
    From lurking here on this board, your '95 seems to be a creampuff of a car, garage queen & what not, shouldn't be a problem to sell. Congrats on your new baby! Sounds v. exciting.
    My apologies... brave is correct about the weight difference. From the brochures, the difference is 77lbs in the sedan and 99lbs in the coupe. Not knowing where that weight is located, I'm not sure if the extra tire width in the rear would conteract the difference for handling. I think that's just a way to reign in some of the additional torque, as brave mentioned for rear end traction. It sure is easy to step the rear out, however. :-)
  • brislance1brislance1 Member Posts: 87
    In what issue of CR is the article where they stop recommending the 3 series? I must have missed it!
  • rhmassrhmass Member Posts: 263
    It was listed on the 2003 buying guide that come with the subscription.
  • hgeyerhgeyer Member Posts: 188
    I saw it on CR-Online. They continually update the automobile ratings.

Check the attached link:

www.geyer.org/bmw.pdf
    Here are the rankings from the 'Upscale Cars' category that CR put the 3-series into:

Lexus IS300
    Acura 3.2TL
    Saab 9-5
    Lexus ES300
    Volvo S60
    Volvo V70/XC70
    -----------AVG---------------
    Chrysler 300M
    Infiniti I35
    BMW 3-Series
    Oldsmobile Aurora
    Audi A4*
    Lincoln LS
    Mercedes-Benz C-Class
    Jaguar X-Type* (-135%)

It's only CR - don't take this too seriously :o) Kudos to Toyota, though - they swept almost every class.
  • jacqueslanjacqueslan Member Posts: 10
    Thank you for your input. Going to-morrow to have the programming done; now I will insist on the tilt mirror..Because when I called BMW dealership I was told I do not have this option!!
    Congratulations on your M3

Jlan
  • mikekabrisky1mikekabrisky1 Member Posts: 28
    I think if the 3 series gets a facelift like the Z4, it will take back the share of the market that the G35 has taken. The Z4 looks good, much better than the 3 series and way better than the nasty Z3. Otherwise, Infiniti will even the series in the next couple of years.
  • climatecontrolclimatecontrol Member Posts: 15
    Hey Guys,

I just thought I would follow up and let you all know what has taken place in the past couple of days. First of all, I would like to say thank you to all who replied with great info and help. I just wished that I knew about you all before I purchased my past vehicles.

Wed I went back to John Roberts BMW(Dallas) to meet up with my sister to make sure everything went okay. They said something was wrong with a relay that caused the airbag light to come on.

As we were walking out of the bay, we caught a small part of a conversation that a service rep and new 7 series owner were sharing. The car completely locked up on the guy. Seems that the 7 series and idrive are causing nothing but problems.

As my sister drove off, I thought I would walk around to the front to look at the 3 series inventory. The same pompous guy sales rep came out again. He had the never to ask me if I was ready to take the 7 that we test drove home. I laughed at him. I did tell him that I was really looking for a new 3 series. This guy had the never again to tell me " the 3 is a much lower car than the 7. May i ask why you would want such a lower model car if you have they money for a 7". At this point I'm ready to leave. Just as he stopped, he was paged for something in front. He told me to stay there and he would be right back. Well, I walked back inside. One of the sales magrs asked me if everything was okay. I explained to him how his sales rep downgraded the 3 series. The mangr was so apologenic, but it didn't seem sincre. I mentioned that I wanted a long test drive with a 3. He offered one to me. So, I ended up with a 2002 330Ci coupe, sliver in color, sport pk, HID, Harmon K, premium pk, 5 speed. I told him I would be back later today.

My friends, I have to share this all with you. I've found my youth again. I understand why 3 series are so good and why the 3 series wins. I don't even know where to start. Smooth power, like an electric motor. Torque is very flat and progressive. The seats of the sport model: firm but very comfortable. I felt as if I was in control. Refined. 80mph in 4th and it felt as if I was driving 45mph. I felt connected with the road.I could do anything but smile. I haven't felt this good about a car in a long time. The sound of the I-6 I didn't care about the size of it anymore. I didn't look at it as an overpriced small sedan. It's better than the 530i IMHOP. I wanted to sing and dance. I coudn't keep my eyes off of it when I did park it. This is what I have been missing. I've driven many cars, but this is not like any other car under 50K. I know I must sound stupid, but I'm a changed man! I cannot understand why so many people drive other types of cars on the market(IS 300,ES 300, Saab,CTS,SUV's,etc..). It's understandable why the 3 series is the target for most entry level lux auto makers.

I arrive back at the dealership. I asked the sales rep about the ED program as many of you all have suggested. They told me that it was a long process, very costly, and not many BMW dealers and buyers deal with it. He said that it will cost me and the dealership more money if I went with the ED program.
    I didn't believe him. I think he just wanted to make a sale at MSRP or he must think I'm just that stupid. I walked out and thanked him for his time.

At this point, I'm on a quest. I'm getting a 3 series BMW. As many of you all have noted as well that I purchase one for less than 32K. I must have such a dream of a car. As Nerd suggested, I called Mike Pile BMW in Tyler, Tx.

Oh my! such a nice dealership on the phone. We even talked about real prices over the phone. That's rare. They have a great inventory. Plus, they were willing to set up everything if I wanted to use the ED program. I'm driving to Tyler Sat.

Now, I could use some help from the BMW family here at Edmunds.
    What do you guys think:

Should I buy a 330 or 325? Is the 330 really worth the extra money?

Should I buy a 5 speed or step auto?

ED program or on the lot?

Should I buy CP0 2000 or 2001 to save a few dollars, or should I buy brand new

If brand new, should I get leather or the leather like seats?

Coupe or Sedan? I'm single w/no kids (coupe looks better to me)

And my last factor: I have now a 1998 Olds Intrigue. It has a little over 118K on it now. It was a company car that I bought. It's running good, just a small oil leak from a seal that needs to be replaced, otherwise in great condition. It's only worth about $ 5500. Should I trade it in, or just keep it for a daily driver? It's paid for as well.

I'm sorry if I have been long winded, but I'm very happy about this next car purchase for me. Please leave any input.

Ben
  • bmw323isbmw323is Member Posts: 410
    Ben, so many questions - and most of them you will need to judge for yourself - that's the fun part. Regarding 325 or 330 - you will need to decide if the ~$5,000 is worth it for the extra power and a few more whistles. Both are fantastic. For a single person the coupe is great, but the sedan will likely have better resale. Get the 5 speed and sport package, you'll never regret it. I would skip the leather and save the $1,400. Since you have a car, keep it for now and go the ED route. Sell the Olds when the BMW arrives in the states. Enjoy the process. I'll never forget my anticipation for this car as I waited 3 months for it to arrive. That poor brochure went with me everywhere (even took it with me when traveling on business). I looked at it nearly every single day. ED would have been even better. Take the plunge!