Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 3-Series 2005 and earlier

Comments

• erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    The SR is the type of plane that when it goes, it GOES. 50 yards sounds about right.: ) I wanted to get a shot of it up and my car up close, but I couldn't take my car on that part of the flightline. :)

-Paul
  • majariwrmajariwr Member Posts: 24
    I recently resolved this dilemma by not even letting myself be tempted by the 330xi. The 325xi appeared to be more than adequate, and was hands-down the smoothest engine that I have ever driven. Besides, at the premium price asked for a 330xi, and if you're willing to stray beyond the BMW fold, there are other cars worth considering at that price point that are nearly as pleasing. Case in point: For just a slightly higher (approx. $35) lease payment and $1k or so more upfront than the 325xi, I could have been driving an Audi A6 2.7t 6 speed quattro. Granted without the superb feel or the smooth acceleration of the BMW, the A6 was a great value - bigger, faster (0-60 in 6 flat with no perceptible turbo lag or torque steer (presumably due to the quattro), good handling (due to quattro) and a great interior. I have no doubts about the superior value, but it was just more than I was willing to go above my artifical $$$ barrier this time.
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    Caution: Don't go to "www.bmwlemon.com" while trying to eat or drink anything; you'll spew it all over the monitor. It's THAT funny...
    fjm- I appreciate your wanting to lighten up everyone's day, but do you have to post this site in every BMW topic?
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    I have to agree with the previous post about the xi's. The 330 is a great car - the difference in price gets you more things standard - mainly the 3.0l dream of an engine.

But you also get nice touches standard:
    Nicer door trim inside
    'Chromed' rings around the dash dials
    Things like that. I know there are more, but that is what pops to mind.

The 325xi is by no means a slouch in acceleration. In our daily driving, we range from see level up to over 4,200 feet and in no cases does it suffer from poor acceleration. This is even with 2 adults and 2 teens in the car. Yes the 330 will do it faster, but if you are looking at the AWD option, does that bigger HP and torgue number really mean that much? It was mentioned that the Audi quattro was an option and it is. But in our recent snowfalls, we found that our xi handled BETTER than our SUV with the VERY wet snow and ice. Part of that is the lower CG, but at no time did the wheels slip while accelerating, braking, or turning - all while on winding mountain roads.

I presume most who buy the xi are doing so for safety and traction. If that is the case, those two magical numbers may not be as important. I was wow'ed by the 330xi and wanted one. But after driving the 325xi, I found it exceeded all my wants and needs quite well. The 330xi + me = tickets waiting to happen!

But the price factor, and discussions with the wife, decided the 330 was not for me. To each his own. If you really want the higher numbers, and the nice extras standard found in the 330xi, then go for it. You will love it! But if you want to be a bit more economical, the 325xi is by no means a compromise. You will love it too!

-Paul
  • aldubyaaldubya Member Posts: 38
    car02: All the previous posts are pertinent comments and address the subject well. I have to agree with all. Very astute coverage of the subject. Have fun in reaching a decision on your choice of cars.
  • rghesselrghessel Member Posts: 122
    Does anyone have the Navigation system? I have read a couple of very brief reviews of factory Navigation systems and MB and BMW have been decidedly at the bottom of the list in terms of functionality, speed, ease of use, etc. Just curious: [1] Anyone have the BMW Nav system; if so, how bad/good is it?, and [2] Are there any plans to upgrade the system to DVD-based for 2003 or 2004?

I currently have a Lexus with a lease coming due and am thinking of getting a 330xi. I have loved so much having Navigation in my current car that it's become a must-have in my next one. (Please refrain from launching into tirades about the "navigation is a waste of money" debate...I agree, but I'm a gadget nut, so I'm prepared to shell out the cash...)
  • brave1heartbrave1heart Member Posts: 2,698
    His insistence on bashing BMWs reminded me of that Seinfeld episode when someone called "Fire!" in a room full of old people and kids and George ran a few people over to get out of the building first. When someone asked him outside "How do you live with yourself?", he cried hysterically "It's not easy!!"
    If you are a real gadget nut, why not get a real Nav system that is portable and more versatile?!?
  • msealsmseals Member Posts: 257
    I was in Toronto a few months back visiting and I saw a BMW 320i sedan. I was thinking wow, that is cool, I wonder what the specs on it are. I looked at the BMW Canada site and there it was in plain english with all its 168hp glory from a 2.2L in-line 6. It made me wonder, why don't we have this car in the states. Are we that power hungry that 168 Hp isn't enough? I would love to be able to pay say $24-26 for a new BMW 320i with a few options. I wonder if that engine will be in the new small BMW coming out soon. What do you guys think?
  • tonyfutonyfu Member Posts: 1
    Recently I received a quotation from the BMW dealer. Beyond all of those options, I got several fees included in the pricing:

MACO: $185
    Training & Systems Fee: $160
    Preparation: $220
    Floormats: $125
    Detail: $82.5

Are these fees I have to pay or are they negotiable? besides, what is a MACO?

Thanks!
    I dont want a portable system because: [1] I'd never use it ouside of my car, [2] I'd bug me having the think perched atop my dashboard in my cool new BMW, and [3] I love the look of the built-in Nav system. (As I said, this ain't about rational thought...just want to know how well/poorly the BMW system operates)
  • seivwrigseivwrig Member Posts: 388
    I think the reason for not having the 320i is the whole image that BMW NA tries to push in this country. The only small engine entry level luxury car is the Audi A4 1.8T. The are many 2.0 engined cars that are sold outside of the U.S. like the Lexus IS200, Audi A4 2.0, BMW 320 compact, BMW 520i (I'm not kidding here)and Volvo S6, M-B C180. If BMW sold the 316i, 318i, 320i, in the States, I think the following might happen: some might look at the BMW in the same manner as a VW, We would have more BMWs on the road (like there are not enough in Houston now.) But we would probably have the situation that they have in Europe, most people do not buy the 325i and 330i.

rghessel: I have the NAV. The current one is DVD based. It is probably not as good as the one in the Lexus, but it does the job. I would suggest checking one out at the dealer before you buy the NAV. If I still lived in Miami, I probably would not buy the NAV. My Nav works well in Houston until I get downtown. I think it has something to do with the skyscrapers.
    Good point about BMW's being everywhere. But do you really think that people would not buy the 325 and 330. I don't think that is the case. Americans are always hungry for more power. There are some who are waiting for a 335 to come out because Infiniti came out with the G35. I am more into overall performance, not just 0-60 times so a 320 would suit me fine. If I had the choice, I would opt for the 325 over the 330 because I know, it would just mean less money in my pocket in the end, and for what. A faster car to get to freeway speeds with? I am tired of getting tickets, I have gotten my share of them. I am ready to just enjoy the drive.
  • locke2clocke2c Member Posts: 5,038
    I don't see what having a faster car has to do with getting speeding tickets, since all of them are capable of exceeding any posted limit.

I'd rather have something capable of better acceleration. You *can* make use of it.

If cars were just mundane transportation not many of us would own a BMW.

-Colin
    LOL!!! I think everyone will concede that BMW builds a lemon from time to time, but that site is simply hysterical. One doofus was mad because BMW wouldn't pay for a repair at 97,000 miles. Another guy was upset because-while BMW UK paid for the repair-the car was out of service for a week and BMW only gave him a "boring" 316i sedan for a loaner.
    There is a direct correlation. If you drive a car that has excessive power, then it is easy to get up to speed and slightly over the speed limit. You could even notice that the engine is working less to maintain that speed. That being said, you are correct in that I am not talking about 15-20+ miles per hour over the speed limit, I am simply talking about the 5-15 mph over that cops write tickets for here in Michigan. A 5 mph ticket is worth 2 points easily and most of the time, they won't give you a break. That being said, when I first got my car, 528i 5sp, and was not use to it. I found myself in 4th gear on the freeway doing 80 mph before I notice I was going to fast. There were not cars around to gauge my speed and I was driving it home for the first time. Now mind you, my previous car was a 2000 Honda Civic Si which at 70 mph makes a great deal of noise. So the absense of engine and wind noise tricked me into not knowing my speed while I was just enjoying the ride. You are correct though, we are all in control of our right foot, so tickets are on us. But I am not referring to people who are tempted to speed, but those who find themselves over the speed limit due to absense of looking down at the gauges, in both cases, it is the drivers fault, but one is with intent and one isn't.
  • majariwrmajariwr Member Posts: 24
    Anyone out there know of pictures on line of a Topaz Blue 2002 or 2003 3 series sedan? The images at the BMW site are, I believe, poor representations of the real thing.
  • riezriez Member Posts: 2,361
    seivwrig... Within the past year I remember reading a magazine review of the Euro-spec 520i Touring. Thinking it came out in either Roundel or Bimmer magazine. Can't remember if it was manual or automatic. Talk about an underpowered car. Is interesting that the 330i fuel economy stats are superior to the 325i. Sometimes the larger engine is better all around for a particular platform. Wonder what the Canadian EPA estimate is for the 320i. And can it be had with both manual and automatic transmissions?
    The article was Bimmer magazine. What I would like to know is who did the test. Also, do the European consider the 520i underpowered. My parents had a GM J-car station wagon. As a 4 banger, I considered it under powered. Maybe the 520d touring would make more sense due to the higher torque numbers. That way you can pull the family caravan. The 520d is a four cylinder versus 520i is a six cylinder. I might have to check the number. I'll run the numbers tomorrow.
    But here are the numbers on the 520i and 525d:
    520i: Displacement:2.2 ltr, Torque:210 N.m and Power: 170 bhp
    525d: Displacement:2.5 ltr, Torque:350 N.m and Power: 163 bhp.

So the 520d, would have better torque, which you need for an estate but lacks the HP.

mseals: I guess what I meant was that people that cannot afford to buy or lease a 325 or 330 would be buying those 4 banger BMWs in droves. Even with four cylinders, it would still be a good handling car but the prestige of the badge would be gone. I think enthusiasts and kids care about HP and 0-60 times. I don't consider myself to be a BMW enthusiast. I wanted to buy a entry level European luxury car and that is what I bought. I could have easily been driving a Audi A4 3.0 or Volvo S60 T5 now. The BMW does handle better.
    A 320i with a slushbox does not sound like a very good buy. I guess one could bring over a 320i then give it the DTM treatment. I guess you will be ready for the auto-x or club racing.
  • soverypoornowsoverypoornow Member Posts: 74
    I have an 02 330i with a Nav system. I, too, got it because I wanted it. No other logical reason. Sure does look cool with the aluminum trim and black lthr interior. Having had no previous nav system from which to compare, I am fairly happy with mine. I would want one with every car from here on out. That being said, although BMW just switched to DVD for 03, I have a friend with a 02 Camry with the factory Lexus touch screen Nav system. It is nicer than mine. Has nicer functionality. And the touch screen ups the cool-factor ante. My system does get lost once in awhile particularly when I'm on the freeway, it will tell me I'm on a city street.

I do agree with seivwrig, go find a BMW tester with Nav and play with it for awhile. Decide for yourself. It'll get you where you're going, but it may not be quite as fun punching in the destination.
    You got me all wrong, if the car had a 4 banger I would never buy it, but if it has a 2.2l inline 6 with double vanos, then on a smaller car like the 3-series, it wouldn't be too bad. I only buy cars with sticks so I could get the most out of the power in the car. I agree, for a wagon, the desiel would definitely be a better choice. But man, I would love to have a 320Ci coupe. It would have great handling, I am sure the engine is lighter so the car would be a little lighter (mind you, it is still quite heavy for its size). But I am sure it would have more than enough grunt to move in the streets and freeway with no problem.
  • cbgb1975cbgb1975 Member Posts: 51
    Item # 1875976011 is 2002 topaz blue. pretty nice pictures
    Yes, the 320i is a six-cylinder. The 316i and 318i are 4-cylinders. 318d and 320d are four cylinder diesels. The 320 Ci with the manual is no snail. It is as faster as a 325 Ci with the slushbox. 320Ci/man: 0-62mph:8.1 sec 325Ci/auto: 0-62mph:8.3 mph. There is only a 20 kg weight difference.

Riez: the 520i Touring article is in the 2/02 Bimmer and the 5er Touring comparison is in the 10/02 Bimmer. Also, for those interested. The most popular in Europe (in terms of numbers) Bimmer, the 318i can be found in Bimmer 6/02.
    Thanks for your thoughts about your Nav system. I've already resigned myself to the fact that no Nav system I get will be remotely comparable to the Lexus (which from what I've read is leaps and bounds above the competition). But, the Lexus is otherwise BORING, so I'm considering my first BMW. (And thank you for making a post about the Nav system without the usual rand about how much of a waste of money it is. I already KNOW that...but I want it. Personally, I think chrome wheels are waste of money, but there are those who would bludgeon me for saying so. To each his own...
    <<< Is interesting that the 330i fuel economy stats are superior to the 325i. >>>

The difference is very minor and it is probably due to the fact that the 325 manual is geared more aggressively and runs at higher RPM's per equivalent speed.
    In a country where 93% of all drivers choose a slushie, a 170-HP 3-series won't sell too well... Not to mention that unlike Europe, badging here is very prominent.
    unlike Europe, we aren't taxed on displacement.

so why send a boy to do a man's job?

-Colin
    wants a 5.5L v12...
    lol... You hit the nail on the head!! I forgot about that - it also explains why turbos aren't nearly as popular here.
    I would think that aside from the horsepower deficiency, many people would be willing to buy a 320i inline 6 with 170 Hp. The reason is, everything else that comes with it. I am sure that the torque numbers would feel close to 200 ft/lbs even if they weren't. I am sure that all the features and handling would be near or at the top of the heap if they would sell the car for about the $24-27k range (taking off $2.5-4k for engine displacement and missing features that the 325 and 330 would have). I think it would be better than the C1 that is suppose to be coming out.
    You have hit the nail on the head. The taxing on displacement and CO2 (in the UK) will definitely affect your car purchase. I just can't see the Series 1 selling in the US, but when I think of Brave's statement on badge conscienceness. The Series 1 might sell too well despite the 320i would make more sense then a Mini sized BMW (Series 1). I guess some of the points made lead to why we will not see a lot of European models. Thanks colin and brave. I guess I was not thinking. (my wife would say that I don't think at all)
    Do you think the Series 1 will come to the US at all? I was wondering since I haven't really seen it but assume it will be at the Detroit International Auto Show this year and I hope to attend. I will hopefully get a first time glance at what its true dimensions are. Like I was saying before, I would think that a 320i or 320ci would make for a great car hear, especially with the market of young buyers buying those MB coupes for around $25.
    The 1er is definitely coming to the US. BMW NA intends for it to serve as a "conquest" vehicle by bringing new buyers into the BMW fold that can later be moved upmarket into the 3er and 5er. The last two attempts-the E30 318is/318i and the E36/5 Compact-sold quite well but ended up siphoning existing BMW buyers away from more profitable models.
    div2-I was afraid that the 1er was a definite. Like I said before, it seems as though it would make more sense to sell the 316i/318i/320i then another small car like the Mini. I don't the specs for the CS1, but it seeems smaller than the Mini. I cannot make any sense of a 1er or 2er in the US. The 4er (3er cabrio/coupe) is already going to send people for a loop.
    Well, BMW hopes to be able to position the 1er as a "real" BMW-complete with RWD and an eventual choice of four and six cylinder Valvetronic engines. I don't think that it's smaller than the Mini, but I could be wrong. I was told that BMW is not offering the E46 Compact in the US because it would have to sell for close to the same price as an equivalent sedan. Couple that with the the fact that "hatchback" has downmarket connotations in the US and the new ti was toast before it ever arrived here. Me, I'd like a 330d.
  • gohuskiesgohuskies Member Posts: 40
    Navigation is a valuable asset for anyone considering European Delivery unless they are multi traffic sign lingual. We found it very difficult to convert/understand signage especially in Italy.
    div2-The price is not that great on the compact. But my wife would probably kill me if I purchased a 1er (if it is similarly sized to the Mini). I think I would buy a Miata or MR2 before a 1er. It will probably be priced over $20K and lacking in HP. I think we will be able to determine more about the engines that the 1er will get once the E60s are released in October 2003. The 3er and 5er normally used the same six cylinder engines. The 1er will probably be 4-cylinder and would need a longer bonnet to allow an inline-6. I just don't feel good about this 1er but it will sell in the US because of the badge. As far as hatchbacks, how is the M-B C230 selling? Does Audi still plan to sell the A3 in the U.S. market? Considering how well the Baby Benz (190E) sold, could we possibly see M-B trying to push some of those other 4-cylinder Benzes in the U.S. when the 1er is released? With BMWs looking more Banglized, will Lexus, Infiniti and Acura sell even more cars in the future? Things that make you go, 'Hmmmm!'
  • jmessjmess Member Posts: 677
    I really like the looks of the 1 series hatchback/wagonback design. The utility of the this config would be a big sell to me over something like a Miata or MR2. With the right torque/HP to weight ratio, a 1 series could an entertaining car to drive if it had some traditional BMW handling goodness built in.

I think the problem with the C-230 is the sticker shock of the option packages; it jumps to +$30K really fast. If BMW can't keep the price of a well equipped 1 Series south of $30K they are going to have some real problems. A new Accord EX coupe with a V6 might not have the feel of the C-230 but it is faster and fully equipped for less money than a stripper C-230. A lot of first time buyers would probably pay a $2K premium for a well equipped BMW 1 series but not $4K+.

When I was car shopping I also checked out the C-230. After visiting two Benz dealers it was obvious that sales folks I dealt with didn't know how to sell the car or really want to sell it. They were much more comfortable showing me an E series than something that has a base price under $30K. I think BMW will have the same problem, unless they can convince the sales force there really is an upside to selling cars with much smaller margins; new BMW customers. The trouble with long term results, they often don't pay the bills in the short term. Sales folks tend to live for the moment?
  • skobolaskobola Member Posts: 207
    An uninsured driver rear-ended me just before X-Mass. Now I will have to pay my deductible, rental cost and I do not know how to recover the cost of that... Do I have to sue him, and how to do that (because the phone he provied to the police has been diconnected). My insurance company's appraiser estimated repairs to be around $8,000, but BMW service said that it will be about $10,000. I am affraid that the car will never be the same, and am actually scared to get into it because I do not believe that it would sustain to bear yet another such collision. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    About how hard did he hit you. I would think getting hit from the rear, that it would be rather easy to have damage reach the $8-10k mark due to the price of some of the OEM parts like rear lenses and stuff back there. Also, did it break the battery? That could cause a whole nother world of trouble. If it is mostly cosmetic, I would think that the car would be safe after being repaired. I am not sure what state you live in, but that will determine what you must do to recoup your money. In Michigan we have what is called broadform collision. It means that if you are hit, you don't pay anything. But on that same note, no matter what kind of accident is was, your insurance pays for your car. They never pay for the other persons car except if you were at fault and you have plain insurance without collision. In that case, your insurance will pay $500 to the other person.
    quote: Like I said before, it seems as though it would make more sense to sell the 316i/318i/320i then another small car like the Mini. I don't the specs for the CS1, but it seeems smaller than the Mini. I cannot make any sense of a 1er or 2er in the US.

A small, light RWD car is a GOOD THING. The 3-series has grown into quite a porker, regardless of how much you (we) love it and more importantly, how well it sells. An underpowered 3-series makes no sense and would not sell in any quantity compared to a light, small, and properly powered 1-series.

I'd buy one, provided Chris Bangle doesn't make it heinously ugly.

-Colin
  • skobolaskobola Member Posts: 207
    Thanks for your response, mseals. Nothing was really broken except the rear bumper, but the fenders and rear trunk lid bent and the trunk's floor rose 8" higher than it was; the trunk appeared to be significantly shallower than before. So they will have to do some serious stretching, I guess. I was even told that they might cut the rear and weld another, new one in there! Also, muffler was on the road, however, still hanging. That was what one could see. I was not able to close the trunk once it was opened over there on the site of accident. The front bumper was pressed under the hood for about 1" and it went wide on each front wheels' wells for about 3/4" wide. The insurance decided to repair the car, and I am afraid of any structural damages and misalignment to the geometry of the car will remain, as well as if the front airbags will properly function after all this is repaired.
    Considering Florida laws, I was told that I would have to pay my insurance's deductible, and that I am not supposed to be penalized by higher rate, as the accident was not my fault. In addition, I will have to pay for rental, which will total about $1,500 out of my pocket. I am trying to find a way to get that money back, and as I do not know any attorney, I was wondering if there is an association or alike that helps to deal with victims of uninsured motorists... Also, the interesting thing was that although the guy sad that he "head a couple" to the police officer, he did not ticket him for DUI, just for reckless driving. I filed a complaint to the police department for that, and that is still being processed as most of them were on vacation during X-Mass and New Year holidays. Although the drunk guy got lucky for the holydays (for not being fined for GUI), certainly it was not Merry X-Mass and Happy New Year to me!
    However, I wish all you people a Merry and Happy holidays and on!!!
  • tenet1tenet1 Member Posts: 354
    Sorry to hear about your exeperience. In most states, not having insurance and getting into an accident usually means that the uninsured walks away for nothing while the hard working honest man/woman that pays high insurance rates gets to go throught the headache of fixing their vehicle and paying even higher rates.

Driving is a privilege and not a right, they say. I dont see that being put to practice.
    I hear what you are saying about uninsured motorist, but here in Michigan (one of the true no fault states for insurance), the maximum you can sue for an auto accident for vehicular damage is $500. This law was designed years ago to keep lawyers from getting sue happy for accidents. What is also did was raise the insurance premiums to cover a car for collision, theft, glass and fire. That being said, if someone hits my car, my insurance pays for it, regardless of if they are insured or not.
  • vkwheelsvkwheels Member Posts: 218
    Hi Bing330i who did you end up going to for the service? I heard very good things about Crevier and very bad things about Irvine. I'm at 9K now. Everything's been just fine, except I can't get my rear seats to click back securely into place after having them down. But getting my bike in there was no problem.

Hope u'all had a nice holiday season, happy new year!
  • tenet1tenet1 Member Posts: 354
    You live in one of those states where the law is sensible and works. In VA there is a $500 (or close) fee for uninsured drivers. I dont think that this money will make it into your hands if you get hit by the uninsured driver. Just extra revenue for the state, i guess.

Either way, knowing that some jackass hit your car and will raise your rates while ensuring that your car will never be the same is bad enough.
  • topspin627topspin627 Member Posts: 67
    I just got my lease statement and inside was a promo for a new performance package for the 330I starting with cars sold this spring. It sounds almost like an M sedan model. 0-60 in about 6 seconds and all sorts of extra goodies. (You can read about it on the BMW web site). Any ideas of how much this will add to the price? Also, can anyone tell what the difference in performance and feel would be to a real M3? Sound interesting doesn't it?
  • huntzingerhuntzinger Member Posts: 356
    Well, BMW hopes to be able to position the 1er as a "real" BMW...[yet]...I was told that BMW is not offering the E46 Compact in the US because it would have to sell for close to the same price as an equivalent sedan. Couple that with the the fact that "hatchback" has down market connotations in the US and the new ti was toast before it ever arrived here.

I almost bought a TI, but decided not to for two reasons. The first was its poor power (torque) for its weight. The second was the ambivalent salesmen. The latter has also been an issue with the C230, which I experienced firsthand; comment further below.

- - -

[The 1er] will probably be priced over $20K and lacking in HP...I just don't feel good about this 1er but it will sell in the US because of the badge. As far as hatchbacks, how is the M-B C230 selling?

From what I've heard, the C230 started strong, then fell off. I suspect that the 1er will be similar: strong initial sales the first year, partly due to its badge, but falling off strongly due to inherent shortcomings. Which sounds like will be in the same mold as the 95-98 318ti: lack of power for the market niche. It seems that they don't understand that if you're trying to make a luxury hot hatchback that its got to have some "hot" in it :-) FWIW, I recall that the '95 TI had less grunt in it than my '84 VW Scirocco (8v 1.8).

- - - - - -

I think the problem with the C-230 is the sticker shock of the option packages; it jumps to +$30K really fast.

Absolutely. The only reasonably good value option on the C230 is the $750 wheel package, because of its underdocumented "other bits".

...After visiting two Benz dealers it was obvious that sales folks I dealt with didn't know how to sell the car or really want to sell it.

Its low profit compared to what they're used to. They're used to saying to a buyer "CD Player and Cellphone?" and the customer says Yup even without asking what the price is. Purveyors of the lineage of Hot Hatchbacks will ask what the price is, and go blatant rip-off's(such as the $1800 cellphone for the C230) will push them out of the door.

Overall, I personally believe that there's a good niche market for a frugal version of an M-class type hatchback. Simplistically, all that's required is to take the existing M Hatch and cut the fancy amenities out of it (and okay, even some horses) to get it from $45K down to ~$30K.

-hh
  • markjennmarkjenn Member Posts: 1,142
    According to a post on bimmer.org (which is supposedly based on the BMW press kit):

The PP runs $3,900 which includes the six-speed (which is now the standard manuual on the 330i), higher hp engine, short-throw shifter, new final drive ratio, revised speed limiter, M suspension, new 18" wheels, new M body trim stuff, and the special alcantra interior with lots of bits and pieces.

I don't think it includes any luxury/premium package stuff like full leather, sunroof, upgraded stereo, xenons, etc. although these items are still orderable.

With destination, base price of a PP 330i will be slightly over $39K.

All-in-all, about as expected - apples to apples vs. a current sport-package, 18" wheel 330i, it is about a $2K bump.

I'd expect it to sell quite well - there has always been a demand for a $9K cheaper 4-door M3 without the problematic 333-hp engine.

- Mark
  • leenelsonmdleenelsonmd Member Posts: 208
    BMW just extended my warranty on the 2003 M3 for the engine to 6years/100k. This is a standard policy now because of the unexpectedly higher failure rate in the 3.246 liter engine.

I applaude the performance package on the new 330, but $9k seems very little to pay for the thrill of getting the 333 horses. There are few cars that can generate the kinds of smiles you get when you are really laying on it in second and third gears in the M3. You only live once. If you live a disciplined life and money is not too important to you then just pull the trigger and get the M3.

I will again say that there was something beautiful and unique about the 5 speed in the 330 that I loved. I wish the performance package didn't take that 5 speed away. (I liked it more than the 6sp in the M3)

BTW: you must all go and drive the Z4. Unbelievable. It generated the same feeling for me as my M3 for a lot less. I loved it, but I need a more practical car (We take family trips in the M3--put the kid seat in the back and pack the trunk full--it is great).