Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 3-Series 2005 and earlier

Comments

• seivwrigseivwrig Member Posts: 388
    The E46 was released as 1999. The 3er generally don't change until about seven years later. So, the E46 will probably end it run in 10/04 as an 2005 model for the sedan and probably mid 2005 as a 2006 for the coupe and convertible. Don't take this as truth. So, you basically have two to three years for a body change. The 5er (E39) will change in Europe at the end of this year and next year for North America.
  • innerloopinnerloop Member Posts: 26
    I have a 2000 model and the steering wheel controls are not illuminated. I am wondering if anyone with a 2003 can comment on if they changed that or not? This would be for a 330, either i Or Ci.

Thanks.
  • riezriez Member Posts: 2,361
    eyc1... As BMW NA's "Inside track" pamphlet, 2/03 edition, makes clear, there will be exterior changes to the 2004 E46 coupes and convertibles. Per it: "This spring, the 2004 3 Series Coupe and Convertible sport a bold, redesigned face ... new shapes of the headlights, turn signals and kidney grille; the front bumper with aggressive air intake; and wedge-shaped side direction indicators." Plus two new exterior colors: Mystic Blue and Silver Gray. The pamphlet has color photos of the front ends for both coupe and convertible. Check out the pamphlet at your nearest dealer.
  • hgeyerhgeyer Member Posts: 188
    I have the 2002 330i and the steering wheel buttons are illuminated. This is for the standard wheel; I cannot speak for the sports package wheel.
  • rghesselrghessel Member Posts: 122
    I'm about ready to pick up my new 2003 330xi with navigation. The dealer wants ? $600 for the cd changer, which is, obviously, insane. I've heard there are places you can purchase the exact same (or at least 100% compatible) unit and ? easily install it yourself.

Does anyone have any experience with this or suggestions of places to look online? Thanks!
    You can try gettting the CD changer from eurobuyers.com. The last time that I went to the site, they had a decent price. I purchased mine in Germany thanks to Nobee. I bought mine tax-free for under $400 (I think I mentioned the price back on a March/April posting). With BMWCCA discount, you can get the changer from Pacific BMW ($392)and Passport BMW ($379).
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    I have a 2002 325xi and have been very happy with its performance and handling on snowy/icy/hilly conditions. Never once did it slip during acceleration or braking - I was able to maintain control at all times.

Granted this is NOT a ticket for driving like mad in adverse conditions, but it did provide the stability I expected and needed.

I do not have winter tires on it as yet. If the weather gets really bad, we have our Jeep. :)

My car is at:
    http://community.webshots.com/user/skimblz_

-Paul
  • mschukarmschukar Member Posts: 351
    I also drive in the snow belt as I have for the last 20 years (Iowa and Wisconsin). I've never been stuck nor missed a day of work due to weather. I've also never owned a car with AWD.

I firmly believe that winter tires provide a cheaper and safer alternative to AWD. My 325i with winter tires is more than adequate for handling the winters here in Wisconsin.

jean7of9 is right, I can't tell him how to spend his money. My question is why do you feel it's necessary to get AWD to help GO but not necessary to get winter tires to help STOP?

-murray
  • nerdnerd Member Posts: 203
    The steering wheel controls are lighted on my wife's 2002 325Ci with sport package steering wheel.
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    The weather in Wisconsin is certainly different than on the East Coast. I missed plenty of work in the blizzards and ice-storms of the late '90s.

Certainly the debate rages on on RWD/AWD/4WD, but having been lulled into a sense of false security from the last several years of 60 degree winters, I chose RWD.

To repeat my experience, I believe you are absolutely correct when it comes to minor snowfalls. As soon as it gets above 6 inches, imho, everything changes and bring out the AWD. RWD+snows+DSC does not equal AWD in 6-12 inches or more. Sure you could limp along, but the AWD gives it that little extra.
  • ryokenryoken Member Posts: 291
    Everyone keeps comparing RWD+snow tires to AWD. I'm from a warmer part of the country, so maybe my brain is just baked a bit... but hasn't anyone thought of putting snow tires on an AWD car?

Granted, in my part of the country, the debate would be more like "AWD with summer tires v. RWD with all-seasons" -- you know, for the 10 days that it actually rains.
    You are absolutely correct. However, it is my feeling *most* people limp along with all-season tires on AWD. However, 4 snows on an AWD would really do wonders in handling. I'm not talking about street racing :), but the ability to keep yourself from getting stuck and have superior traction.

I have an all-terrain tire on my AWD SUV, and I can tell you they are better than all-seasons in snow, but not as good as all-seasons in the good weather. But they really proved themselves during the first big storm of the season that dumped about 12 inches or snow. Slowly but surely was the word of the day in that storm, but I never worried about getting stuck.

This year I am sticking with the Conti's and gonna see how I limp along.
  • mschukarmschukar Member Posts: 351
    That was the question I posed in my last message; I believe that winter tires would be necessary if AWD is necessary. Stopping is at least as important and going.

A 325Xi with winter tires would be a great winter car.

-murray
  • jean7of9jean7of9 Member Posts: 192
    Just got today my Serial Number for the 03 330xi. The last seven digits include PGxxxxx. The car is not in production yet. It will be on production floor on Wednesday 22 January and completed on the 25th. So I run the last seven digits through the On-line VIN Decoder. Here are the results:
    Series: E-46
    Model: 316i
    Production date: 2001/10
    Engine: unknown
    Transmission: Unknown
    I am confident that more relevant and true data will come come out after completion . Meanwhile I assume the date of 2001/10 is the date when the body was completed, probably in South Africa and shipped by sea to Germany where it is painted, outfitted with complete interior and drive train. The 1.6 litres 4 cylinders engine (for the 316i) is only used in the United Kingdom While the rest of Europe enjoys a 1.8 litres gas and a 2.0 litres diesel.
    If my analysis is true, We can safely assume that most 3 series come out of South Africa, either totally assembled (2.5 litres) or at least the body is sent to Germany for special engines or drive trains (3.0 litres M or xi).
    I am not saying that quality is diminished, just pointing out the huge profit BMW must be doing on these car, considering the low wages in South Africa. Good for them.
    My dealer told me today that he already has orders for 2004 Coupes and Convertibles for delivery through April 04. Many of his customers ordered the 03 then shifted to 04 when news came out. In the stack of memos from BMW Canada about this issue, there is no mention of an early 04 Sedan, yet.
    This sudden reaction by BMW is blamed to the unexpected success of the G-35.
  • peterpan223peterpan223 Member Posts: 22
    How much did you guys pay for the factory alarm?
    I was quoted at $650, but that sounds pretty expensive.

kdshapiro, one of you posters, told me he paid about half the price for his. How about the rest of you guys?

And VKWHEELS, thanks for the reference of the dealer, I live about 20 min away from Shelly, and I will pay them a visit. I assume you dealt w/ internet manager?
  • chaaaossschaaaosss Member Posts: 22
    Sorry guys... I don't see a coupe-specific message board around so I'll just post this here.

I'm wondering how much everyone thinks the SMG option is going to be.

I also don't really quite understand the difference between the SMG and the Steptronic (aside from the fact that there are paddles as well as the shifter). My best guess is that it's more technologically advanced and it's not an automatic with an optional shifter but a shifter with an automatic option. Are any of these assumptions correct?
    There is a great article about SMG here.

http://europeancarweb.com/tech/0212ec_bmwtech/
    After googling a bit, I found a really great flash animation that BMW worldwide made on the M3's SMG.

http://www.bmw.com/bmwe/pulse/bmwm/

Click on "SMG Drivelogic" and then click on the instrument panel icon to the far right.

Thanks for the article link, peterpan223.
  • jb_shinjb_shin Member Posts: 357
    SMG (used in E36 M3 in Europe, which wasn't very popular), or SMG II in current iteration is reserved only for the M3. Other E46 models are getting SSG, a watered down version (read slower gear change) of the SMG II
  • ipatty13ipatty13 Member Posts: 47
    650 USD is too much to pay.

In the U.S., contact pacific bmw for one of the best prices on E46 OEM alarm. I think there is extra discount if you're a cca member.

I recommend a self-install (about 1.5 hour) and activation by a dealer who will charge no more than $50
    I'm sorry, I've never owned a BMW before. Always been fan of a Japanese car. But I fell in love w/ the way 330Ci handles itself.
    What is CCA? How do I become a member and what benifits do I get?

Thanks
  • jb_shinjb_shin Member Posts: 357
    www.bmwcca.org
    1. Definitely buy the alarm and install it yourself. It costs around $200 from places like pacificbmw.com or circlebmw.com. The DIY install time is about an hour and it is truly "idiot-proof". There are detailed instructions at www.bimmer.org or www.e46fanatics.com. You will have to go to a dealer and pay 1/2 hour shop time to activate the computer (you may be able to get them to do it for free when you take deliver and they set up your preferences, all they really do is change one setting on the on board computer). The link is: http://www.circlebmw.com/service/access/9416520.htm

2. One of the best benefits of CCA is the $500-$1500 rebate on the purchase/lease of a new BMW, depending on the model (3 series is $500). Unfortunately, you must be a member for 12 months or more to qualify (they check this). It's good to join either way, the Roundel Magazine is a great read.
    I believe all the 4 cylinder engines are made in Harms Hall in the UK (Riez will correct me if I am wrong). I believe that the rest of assembly for your car is done at Regnesburg, Germany. I cannot understand that the build date is 2001. You need to decode all except the last 6 characters. Provide all but the last six characters and I will try to decode your VIN.
    Thanks. The number is:

WBAEW53433PG+++++
    Thanks, I will definately do it myself and save a few bucks!
    That is when I get the car first.
    I plan to get it within 2 weeks, hopefully I'll get a good deal.

The best offer I got so far is 5% over invoice.
    Do you think this is good enough? Or can I go lower since the '04 model is coming out soon.
  • ipatty13ipatty13 Member Posts: 47
    I'm not sure exactly how much 5% over invoice is in dollars, but shoot for at least 1,500 over invoice.

Based on what BMWUSA did to the 2002 models (offering 0% financing) just after the 2003's came out, I think if you can wait a bit and don't mind taking a 2003, you can save more on the purchase price, as well as in financing--if you plan to finance the car.
    Silver grey! Sounds like a really good middle-ground between Silver and Steel Gray. Exactly the predicament I'm in (and it seems others were as well). I hope it looks as good as I think it sounds (for what it should look like... a silver gray).
    I'd like to do European Delivery on a 325Ci for around August 1. I know the plant closes around that time so I guess May 1 is the absolute cutoff.

So April's when dealers are actually going to GET shipments of the new 3 Coupes? I really want to see this color before I choose steel gray by default.

Oh and have any of you just chosen to not get the premium package and instead get the sport package and the sunroof? Seemed like when I was doing some preliminary virtual building that the difference in price allowed me to get the NAV. Seems all I'm missing (since there's quite a bit of overlap it seems with the sports/premium packages) are rain-sensing winsheild wipers and driver memory. I'm the only driver so all I'm missing are the wipers. Does anyone think the NAV is worth it enough to do what I just described when ordering?

Also, so if BMW offers the SMG (or a toned-down equiv) for the 2004's, will there be three transmission options? Surely they wouldn't replace steptronic with SMG.
  • campbelllcampbelll Member Posts: 3
    Hello:

I bought two 2003 325xi's in Mid-December. Both cars have the premium package and rain sensing windshield wipers. The night I picked up my car, it was pouring down rain, and the wipers worked perfectly. They went from a slow intermittant when stopped, to a steady medium speed when the rain wasn't too bad, and went to the fastest speed when rain really picked up. I was amazed it worked so well.

However, about a week later, there was another day of very heavy rain, but this time while driving (55 mph), the wipers would not go faster than the "medium" setting. I had to physically raise the lever to get the fastest wipe speed. It would not do it in the auto setting. I ensured the sensitivity knob was full forward (where I had left it from the last time), but it didn't work.

I went home and got in my wife's car and took it for a drive. Sure enough, her's worked fine. Just like mine had the first time it rained. I got back in my car to make sure I had everything set correctly (it's not that complicated...), and it was. Still would only go up to the medium speed. The wipers would not go to the super fast speed unless I physically raised the lever out of automatic.

I made an appointment at Passport BMW in Maryland (where I bought the cars) to have a tech look at it. They told me it was working fine. I asked them if they were actually able to test the different speeds of the auto setting, and they said, "no". They said their was no real way for them to test it unless it was raining (it wasn't).

Anyway, I'm now driving a BMW with a feature that doesn't work right, and no way to fix it. Can anyone out there give me any advice to get them to take this a little more seriously?
  • leenelsonmdleenelsonmd Member Posts: 208
    The auto sensor on the wipers will never put them in the overdrive speed--the fastest speed. If it is pouring rain and you are on the highway then you manually put them on the fastest setting.

I may be misunderstanding you though. When it is pouring rain and you have them on automatic they should work continuously without delay between strokes, but they will never increase the speed of the actual swipe unless you manually set them on the high speed. When you say that yours were working at the medium speed do you mean that there was still a delay between strokes?
  • campbelllcampbelll Member Posts: 3
    Actually, in my wife's 325xi, the speed varies from the slowest intermittent at a stop, to the same fastest speed you get when you move the lever all the way up. All this without changing the lever out of automatic. It's great.

My car did this also the first time it rained. Now it doesn't. I wouldn't believe it myself if I didn't have both cars to compare side by side.

Do you have the auto sense wipers? Yours do not go to the fastest speed? Maybe my wife's car is the one that's broken...I appreciate your responses.

Lou
  • wateverwatever Member Posts: 7
    Today I talked to 3 different dealers & emailed 2 others to get info on the 2004. Finally I called the BMW Customer service 800 number. had a 30 minute talk. He said BMW is waiting to officially announce details on the 2004. They are afraid dealers may be stuck with 2003s (and maybe have to discount them even??? lol) He wouldn't say if MSRP would be going up, but said he wouldn't be surprised if it went up slightly. Said probably might not be any ED on it for the first few months because of domestic demand. I asked if he knew what the Automatic Climate Control update is on the '04. He didn't know. The picture I have of the new 330ci looks nice, but I also love the looks of the '03 325ci. I plan on keeping the car a long time so not worried about buying the last of the current model. Decisions ... decisions
    I currently have a quote of $1575 over invoice for '03 325ci w/ sport pkg, moonroof, xenons with metallic...also made sure it includes floor mats and wheel locks.
    Going to stop by one dealer that is closer to see if they are willing to match or do better.
  • hylndr61hylndr61 Member Posts: 51
    I have recently began to notice a slight whine coming from the rear of the vehicle when traveling at steady speeds. This seems to occur in both highway and city driving. Adjusting the throttle up or down can usually make it go away. The car has 1,500 miles on the odometer and is equipped with the Steptronic transmisison. I did not notice this when the vehicle was first purchased. The noise is at a level that is more annoying than alarming but I am still concerned that something may be wrong.

I have also observed that while driving in manual mode, the downshift to 1st gear often makes a "clunk" noise. I plan to bring both of these issues up with my dealer's service department but I was wondering if anyone else had experienced these issues.

The final noise that has surfaced is a rattle in the interior right rear deck area. I have heard about a rattle issue with the Harman Kardon speakers but my vehicle is equipped with the standard stereo system. Any suggestions would be appreciated here as well.
    Man, "watever," that REALLY sucks to hear they might not be doing European Delivery for the first couple months. I'd REALLY like to do that. That's EXTREMELY frustrating.

I have the same reservations about a 2004 as you do, I think. The cars will definitely need to be compared in person for me. And I'm definitely interested in this silver grey.

I popped over to the Santa Monica BMW today and they were very tight-lipped and it makes sense now after reading your post. And after seeing the current 325Ci with those wheels... in steel gray... with the wood trim... I was about ready to sign anyway.

As far as $1575 over invoice, I know a dealer in the Bay Area who's closing for as little $100 over invoice just to keep the cars moving. The dealer is owned by some larger company that apparently prefers volume over individual profits. You may want to check elsewhere. I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to dangle the idea of waiting for a 2004 in front of them either.
    The auto wipers in my car travel at the same speed at the low setting. It's the delay between wiper strokes that I notice when I have it on auto.

In addition, I've noticed at night, I have to turn the sensitivity up. Also, when I leave the wiper position in auto, the auto feature deactivates when the car is shut off, until you "jigger" the stalk. Sort of like a safety feature to prevent damage in a car wash, when the wiper is left in auto.
  • needashaveneedashave Member Posts: 91
    Wow $100 over invoice, I would never have expected that. Anyone else seeing those kind of figures?
    Sorry... didn't check my "spelling." $1000.
  • tenet1tenet1 Member Posts: 354
    Are you sure that the outside area of your widshield where the auto-wiping sensor is located is clean? I am sure you know this but it doesn't hurt to check. I have heard that this can be a problem if there is heavy dirt or salt build-up in the area.
  • golfnut7golfnut7 Member Posts: 34
    I just took delivery of my new 325i with Steptronic 1,700 miles ago. I have noticed when I leave the house in the morning and get to the first stop (about a half mile away)it downshifts to first gear with a 'clunk'. After the car is warm it never does it. I, too am going to bring that up when I carry it in for service. With the cold weather we have had lately I haven't been too alarmed about it but my wife's 2001 325i doesn't have this problem.

Speaking of her '01, she has 25,000 miles on it and is due to get new tires. Living in NW Arkansas we really don't have an problem with snow and ice. Can anyone recommend a good set of tires to replace the mediocre ones that come on the car?
  • nerdnerd Member Posts: 203
    Go to TireRack.com and shop 'till you drop. I have ordered three sets of tires from them and received exceptional service every time. Ask for Bruce (x289) if you have questions; he has helped me a great deal.
  • denkdenk Member Posts: 75
    I too have noticed the hard downshift for the first stop or two in the cold weather but assumed it was because the idle is still high while you are bringing the car to a stop. Let us know if you find it is something that should be serviced.
    When I owned a manual the shifting was horrible in cold weather until the engine and tranny warmed up. I think that is the nature of the beast.
  • riezriez Member Posts: 2,361
    kdshapiro... Think you're absolutely correct. Thinking about the last 5 or so manual-transmission cars I've had. All but one were not garaged. Each was less easy to shift in cold weather than warm. Once they warmed up...

If people expect cars to perform flawlessly in winter conditions, they should (1) garage the car (2) buy & install various engine block and component heaters to keep the fluids warm.

If you don't, then be gentle on the car till she warms up. You can't expect summer performance immediately in the dead of winter.
    riez - hit the nail on the head. During these single digit days in the northeast, my car has been outside whiie I'm at work. At night the car is garaged.

The feeling of the car is the morning was much looser than at night, after the car was sitting outside for 10 hourse. At night it felt the car finally loosens up after driving about 7 miles. You can feel it when it does.
    My low-coolant warning light went on the other day on my 2002 330i. I stopped by the local dealer and picked up a gallon of BMW-spec anti-freeze. I mixed it 50:50 with water and used about 1/4 gallon to top off my car.

I decided to check my wife's Toyota Sienna and noticed that she's about 1/4-1/2 gallon low as well. I would like to add some of the mix that I made with my BMW anti-freeze to her car.

Common sense tells me that this should be OK, but I thought I'd check with some experts. I really don't want to have to go buy some Prestone and have a second 1/2 gallon laying around my garage.

Thanks.
    If it were my car, I would just add it. Don't know about mixing it with water though. Is that what BMW recommends?
    You're supposed to mix it 50:50 with water for "normal" operating temperatures, 60:40 for extreme hot/cold conditions. Instructions are on the back of the container.
  • hippo168hippo168 Member Posts: 115
    Some people suggest warming up the car, but some are against it. I do warm up my car before driving in cold weather.

-It usually takes a couple minutes (compare to almost 10 with my old 89 Accord), wait till the rpm drops a little bit; by that time, the temp gauge will slowly start to move up as well.

-Start driving, but keep the rpm low(er), i.e. upshift earlier, until the temp gauge is at the normal operating range. Don't red-line it right away. :)

Any other suggestions?