Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 3-Series 2005 and earlier

Comments

• squirreljamsquirreljam Member Posts: 71
    Hey all - anyone have any thoughts either way as to St Louis, Missouri, dealers?

Just curious if there are any horror stories out there, or conversely, if anyone's had a great experience.

Thanks,
    Squirrel
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    I average a consistent 24 mpg in mixed local street and highway driving. This is a 330 with step. Highway driving brings it up to 28. But it all depends on how you drive the car, if you use the step or sport program liberally. I drive the car fairly moderately with burst of spirited driving. With 24mpg I'm not complaining.
  • brave1heartbrave1heart Member Posts: 2,698
    The AC22 Peformance Meter seems superior to Vericom and G-Tech -

http://www.race-technology.com/WebP...Comparison.html

I am seriously considering getting one - it would definitely be worth $200 to me as long as it is reasonably accurate. Does anyone have additional info as to the accuracy of the product? And please excuse my ignorance but are U.K. imperial units the same as ours?
    24 mpg @125 mph is astounding mileage IMO!! I think my 325i will be ~ 18-20 at that speed. I'd love to cruise at that speed regularly but I don't think I'd have the guts to put it on cruise (too passive).

A 35-hr St Patty's?!? That's awesome - you'll have the time to sober up and start all over at least a few times :o) Great planning!
    OK, never mind - just found out that Volume/Capacity units are different but the rest are the same Imperial vs. U.S.
  • fomentarfomentar Member Posts: 49
    gwunj: Thanks for the info on the V1 wiring...looks like a good plan.

To all on the mileage: Thanks for your responses. I am interested to see how the mileage turns out as I put some more miles on it.

Rich
  • dan_bmwdan_bmw Member Posts: 29
    I understand there is a BMW website or contact number that will enable me to track the order/production status on a new car order. I ordered a 03 330i two weeks ago and I want to start checking on the status. The salesman keeps telling me he does not have an order tracking number yet but I understand that he should have had one within a few days of placing the order. He originally told me that there would be a six week interval but now he said it will take ten. In view of this, I would appreciate someone letting me know the details on how to start this tracking process.
    Thanks
    Dan
  • sopecreeksopecreek Member Posts: 203
    Is there BMW forum that's comparable to, say freshalloy for nissan/infiniti vehicles, on the web? Thanks.
  • dave330idave330i Member Posts: 893
    It looks like 2nd gear tops out at around 70 mph at 7000 rpm. Engine sounded sweet even at those rpm. This car just loves to be driven hard on a twisty. :D
  • jschmoe3jschmoe3 Member Posts: 6
    Hail to all from long time reader of this forum,long time"longer" after a 3-series car,and finally...awaiting delivery of 03 330i sedan.Orient Blue-SP-heated seats-Xenons.Not the most options,but enough to make me happy.I have found this and other forums within the BMW realm entertaining,very informative,and extremely helpfull in making option,pricing,and future care of my automobile decisions easier.I am in the Boston area and know I've passed(or been passed)by some of the writers in this forum.I can't help it but every Xenon light in my mirror increases my heart rate in the anticipation that it might be the best looking car on the road just about to go by.Can't help it-I really am infatuated with everything concerning them.I've never owned one,but have driven relatives',and being former mechanic,also helped work on them.My question to the experts out there is this: Does the 03 330i sedan come with the 6-speed manual transmission as standard equipment, as the BMW web page indicates? I spoke with my sales rep today and he intimated that it does NOT,that it is part of the new "performance" package.ALL the info I have read (GERMAN CAR FANS,EUROPEAN CAR,etc)makes it as part of 03 changes for sedan.Hope someone can shed light on this.Order date was in FEB with a week 10 build date(MAR 1st).AM wondering if Factory changed transmission mid-Year or if sales rep made mistake and ordered 5-speed when 6 was available?sorry to be long winded.Thanks for any help.I"ll be reading,please keep writing. jshmoe
  • rd330ird330i Member Posts: 7
    All 330's get the 6-speed effective March '03
    production. Your's should come with the 6-speed.
    Jschmoe,

Congratulations on your 330i choice; I ordered one 2 weeks ago. I just talked to my dealer tonight and although rd330i is right about the March 03 production; I think you may be right on the fringe. The dealer sales guys told me that I may be getting a 5 speed because I did not get hit with the $200 price increase. I hope they are wrong and I will gladly pay the $200 for the 6 speed. (However I was also told by anothe dealer that the $200 increase had nothing to do with the 6 speed change). Did you pay the increase? How do you find out what stage of production your car is at? I am told that my car is scheduled to be built on 4/10/03 with a 5/3/03 estimated delivery. I think I am going to make some calls and find out about the 6 speed situation because, besides us, even the salesmen seemed confused. By the way I don't believe the sales rep specifically orders the transmission (manual by default) unless it is a steptronic.

Best Wishes

Dan
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    The funny thing about the "125 on Cruise" bit was that we were driving in the middle lane! There was so much hardware out there that wasn't governed like my U.S. Spec 530i (which could easily have gone MUCH faster than the 128 electronic limit), so I simply resigned myself to being marginalized at 125 and hit "Cruise". ;-)

Re: the "35 Hour St. Patty's Party", nope, the plane was not stocked with green beer so I drank copious quantities of green tea instead. Still makes you pee a lot, however, no hangover. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • riezriez Member Posts: 2,361
    According to the February 2003 BMW NA Inside Track pamphlet, the MY 2004 3 Series coupes and convertibles are being released this spring, 2003, and the 3.0L models get the 6-speed.

I don't know when the MY 2004 sedans are being released, nor can I say I remember seeing anything about what manual transmission they will use. I'm guessing that since the coupes, convertibles, and PP 3.0ls all use 6-speed, so will the other 3.0l sedans.

Check out the 3/17/03 issue of AutoWeek. An interesting 2-page article on upcoming BMWs, including pictures of the next generation 3 Series. This article says: "Transmission choices will include a new standard six-speed manual (with available sequential manual gearbox shifting) and an optional six-speed automatic." And, finally, all 6-cyls will get "Valvetronic engine controls and Vanos variable valve timing and direct injection."
  • bruce330ibruce330i Member Posts: 5
    Have a new (300 miles) 03 330i. Have noticed that when driving straight the steering wheel is off-center (slightly turned to the left). The car drives straight - doesn't pull left or right, but wondering if the steering wheel being off-center is an indicator I'm out of alignment. While I've obviously been extremely carefull, we are definitely in the middle of pot-hole season in Minnesota right now! Also, I have driven on a flat parking lot, so don't think the wheel is turned to the left because of road crown. Thanks.
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    More ice yesterday and I'm convinced my 325xi is part mountain goat. That thing is SO surefooted.

First question: I know this has been covered, but has anybody successfully attached the standard 2002 stereo system to an amplifier? I'd love to replace the speakers with some MB Quarts, but don't want to do that unless I can give them some more juice.

Comment: Somebody earlier asked about the Valentine installation. Here is a URL for an installation:
    http://www.linquist.net/cars/bmw/v1/new/

I'm not sure if this is the best installation doc, but it covers it pretty well. (Still wanting a V1, but the wife won't let me speed too much!)

-Paul
  • ultrarunnerultrarunner Member Posts: 64
    You need to make BMW aware and insist that they correct it. I waited until I returned from E.D. and the dealer said that adjustments could only be made within the first 1000 miles.

I ended up doing the adjustment myself in about an hour. It should only take a few minutes at the dealer. Good Luck
  • djocksdjocks Member Posts: 124
    A little over a month ago I was very active in here looking for help with my Bimmer! I ended up in a 2003 330i sport/xenons/heated seats.

I just wanted to say it is now about 6 weeks later and it is still the absolute dream I always wanted. I am like a little kid. Everything they say about BMW's is true. It translates to the driver in ways other makes just don't. I could not be happier and I am just glad to say its mine!
  • leenelsonmdleenelsonmd Member Posts: 208
    seiv: I did not see you at the Car Control school this past weekend. I am sure you were there, but we did not run into each other.

Car Control School / Autocross: This past weekend the BMW CCA Houston had a car control course Friday night and all day Saturday. On Sunday there was an autocross. What a blast. I really drove the car as hard as I could and found the edge. I should have had more air in the tires. I was running 35 front and 38 in the rear (cold) and I lost most of the lateral tread on my fronts from the car control school. Before the Autocrosss I put 42 in front and 44 in the rear and the car handled better for the race. All of the experienced drivers at the autocross said I should have MORE air in the front and less in the rear to INCREASE oversteer. This did not make sense to me. More air up front should decrease the stickiness up there and increase UNDERSTEER. Any comments? FWIW, I found that with 42/44 as I tried above worked well for the autocross and the car had much more oversteer than with 35/38.

fomentar: I have the V1 with the remote display and I wired it into fuse #6 in my car which is the "Makeup mirror light". Wiring it into the BMW xsceiver wiring as mentioned above works, but since I have the remote display I was still going to have a wire running through the roof line and down the A pillar to the remote display. This is why I just wired it into the fusebox and sent one wire up to the unit and the other wire over to the remote display. I ran the wire to the remote display around the center console (you can tuck it into the console) and then through the steering column up into the dash area where I have mounted the remote disply just below the dashboard to the right of the steering wheel behind the windshield washer control arm.
    FWIW: If your 330 has a 5sp instead of a 6sp, I would not consider this a bad thing. I think the 5sp is a little more fun to drive than the 6sp.

The 6sp is mostly a gimmick IMO and the performance gain in the hands of an average driver is imperceptible (negligible). Maybe a pro driver could get a trace more performance out of it.

Anyone else agree or disagree?
  • mithiral67mithiral67 Member Posts: 10
    I was wondering the same thing, if the 5speed vs the 6 would be that much different. Personally, I dont plan on draging my car or redlining every time, so would perfer only rowing through 5 every day and go without the 6th on the rare occations i might need it, then going with 6 gears everytime. The only real advantage i would see is if they improved the 6th gear for better mpg, I didnt take a close look at the 2003's ratio. I was wondering if there was any improment to the 6 speed?
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    The Auto-X guys are correct; more PSI in the front tires= less understeer-more PSI in the rear tires= more understeer. I used to run 48PSI front/40PSI rear in my M6 to make it easier to rotate on the track.
  • riezriez Member Posts: 2,361
    Yes, but...

I love the 6-speed in my 540i6. Now I find myself looking for 6th gear in my work car, which has a 5-speed manual. If 5 is good, 6 must be better. At least that is my subconcious talking.

Key to any manual is matching the gearing to the engine's power curve.

Two advantages for a good 6-speed set up include (1) numerically higher 1st and 2nd gears which allow increased acceleration and (2) an overdrive 6th gear for improved relaxed, fuel efficient high speed cruising.

The current 3 & 5 Series 5-speed manuals are direct drive 5th. But notice that the 5-speed automatics are overdrive 5th.

With 6- and 7-speed transmissions arriving and CVTs getting better, 5-speeds will seem like old 3- or 4-speed tranny within a decade. Time and technology stands still for no one very long.
  • mg330cimg330ci Member Posts: 162
    The only advantages in my book:

1. If it is a short throw shifter, then it will surpass the current 5-speed because of this.

2. Lower RPM while highway cruising on 6th gear? and I don't now if I really need (or would like) this!
  • seivwrigseivwrig Member Posts: 388
    I was at the Car Control Clinic on Friday and Saturday. I was the only one out there with an E46 325i. I was wearing the Bayern Munich soccer shirt. I enjoyed myself but I could never come to grips with the emergency lane change. I am convince there is less car control when driving an automatic especially in the area of speed. With a manual, in any one gear, you can only go so fast before the redline limits you.
    Your group during the clinic was an interesting group especially with the M-B CLK 430 and the Volvo S60. The CLK 430 seemed like a real dog.

I was pleased with how my car handled and I will probably buy some Kumhos when I replace my tires this summer. I am a firm believer in what Colin, div2 and brave1 say. The lessons are better than the mods. Given I don't have SP, I did pretty well. I wish I could find a road where I can practice late apexes. I really found the truth to the "faster way between points is a straight line." I'm ready for another driving trip on some British and German B-roads.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,421
    I definitely recall this discussion about a year or so back. Taller 1st and second gears as well as better mpg would be what benefits the 330 the most. However due to the abundance of power available on the 330 already, it does seem a bit gimmicky (read marketing) and would be more suitable for the 325. The taller second gear in a 325 would efinitely put that car in the sub-7 second second range to 60mph. A 6th gear would also be more appropriate in a car like my Prelude which spins 4000RPM at 80mph (I'm not complaining though).

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• gwunjgwunj Member Posts: 26
    Just a thought ... Is the 6th gear an actual overdrive, or did they redo the other gear ratios and still end up with a 1:1 6th?

Glenn
    Both cars have a 2.93 final drive ratio and the forward gears are as follows:

-----6-Speed---5-Speed
    1st----4.35------4.21
    2nd----2.50------2.49
    3rd----1.66------1.66
    4th----1.23------1.24
    5th----1.00------1.00
    6th----0.85------N/A

All in all, I am guessing that the 330i 6-Speed will be a hair faster than the 5-Speed model off the line. In the mid-range, there would be virtually no difference between the cars, and oddly enough, the EPA gives them both the exact same mileage ratings of 21/30 city/highway.

Given the wonderfully broad torque curve of the 3.0 liter BMW engine, I doubt that the new tranny will have any impact on how the car will perform under most circumstances. So, why the 6-Speed? Can you say G35? ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • djocksdjocks Member Posts: 124
    The g35 is a bad customer no doubt. I was in one with my brother (who eventually got an A4 3.0) and no question it can move.

However, my 330i just seems as though it has endless and determined power. How 6 gears would change the feeling of perfection is a little suspect in my eyes. I do think the short throws and to be honest the blacked out trim line would be cool. But its not like my bimmer is a drag to drive.:)!

I sat in the back of the g35 and although it was spacious, I did think the interior was a little cheap looking. The instrument cluster was IMO ugly and the center consul screamed Nissan. Not that this is such a bad thing, I just bought my wife a beautiful black Murano. But the Murano and Infiniti products are sharing many design qualities these days and the BMW seems a class above. The interior was also why my brother got the Audi which might be the best interior in the world!
    <<< Still makes you pee a lot, however, no hangover. >>> I wish you'd told me that before last night - I would've had a much easier day today :o) I had to go out for a spirited lunch time drive to draw energy from throughout the afternoon ;o)
  • bluebeastbluebeast Member Posts: 258
    ALL 3 series that have a build date after Mar 1st will have a 6 spd, period. Price increase of $200 (sedan) slated for April 1st has now been postponed until May 1st, in other words, take delivery of your car before May 1st and save $200.

6 spd gear ratio's are different if you order the ZHP package (only available on the 330i, 3.07 final drive ratio).

Also, all 3 series cars built after Mar 1st will have the adaptive brake lights !!!!!
  • killer3killer3 Member Posts: 13
    I am surely no expert, but having spent the last three winters extensively driving around New Hampshire in RWD BMW's I would like to add my 2 cents: Forget AWD, it simply is a waste of $ and lowers performance of the car. Even with the stock factory tires, I have been able to take my BMWs up icy, hilly driveways that many 4WD trucks could not get up, the traction control works incredibly well in these cars. The factory tires even perform well enough for icy climates for the first 20K miles or so; after this I would suggest snow/ice tires (I used Michelin Pilot's last time, but any good ice tire will do). It seems to me that the AWD is irrelevent almost all of the time; the one time when the traction control has not been able to get me up an icy hill, I have not been able to control the car (stop) at all either, therefore the AWD is unlikely to help- but snow tires will help (especially studded snows if you are in really icy territory). I do have a backup POS GMC Jimmy for really bad snowy days, and the only time we put on the 4WD is to get through DEEP unplowed snow, I assume that this would likewise be the only advantage of the AWD 3 series, since if you have an iota of traction (tire/road) the RWD gets you where you need to go, and if you have no traction even the AWD car will not stop- so you should not be driving anyways. With respect to changing order, I would guess that you would have no complaints from the dealer (don't worry about your $1,000), the cars often get traded between dealers in transit, and the salesman should bend over backwards to help you, since he wants to get his '5' rating for his personal bonus.
  • hgeyerhgeyer Member Posts: 188
  • mithiral67mithiral67 Member Posts: 10
    I dont remember word for word what i read. The adaptive brake lights are a new safety feature. Depending on how hard and fast you hit the break petal, the break lights have different level of intensity. So hard breaking will produce a brighter brake light, hoping it will make following cars more aware of your breaking.
    Sitting at a stop light this morning, in one of those areas where you are on a two lane road that opens up to four at an intersection and stays four lanes for less than an eighth of a mile before it melts back down to two lanes. Minding my own business, a silver Passat W8 (I saw the badge on the grill when he was behind me) pulls up on my right. It seemed fairly obviously he intended on putting my weakling 530i in its rightful place by beating me to the merge point.

Always being game, I decided to at least give it a try, even though the VW W8 has something like a 40+ hp advantage. Folks, it wasn't even close, I had him by several car lengths well before the right lane ended. How is it that VW made that car so slow? Is the VW slushbox really that much of a power drain, or is the Passat W8 really heavy, or both?

Has anyone driven one of these beasties? Maybe this guy just got a bad one.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • locke2clocke2c Member Posts: 5,038
    reading test reports, no, it isn't very fast.

but your trouncing could have had something to do with how much the VW's driver was leaning on the loud pedal... he might not have been accelerating at 100% of the car's ability.

-Colin
  • fjk57702fjk57702 Member Posts: 539
    One can compute the average gear spacing. For the 5 speed this is about 0.7 = (1.00/4.21)^(1/4) and for the 6 speed this 0.72 = (.85/4.35)^(1/5). So the 6 speed does have "closer" gears even though the first gear is lower and the sixth gear is higher.
  • dusterbusterdusterbuster Member Posts: 23
    if i recall correctly, car and driver did a comparison of the passat w8, audi a4 3.0, mercedes c320, acura tl type-s, g35, and the 330i, all with automatic except for the a4 which had the CVT. the passat w8 had the slowest start times of the bunch, despite having the most horsepower. apparently the w8 weighs about 2 tons, and the automatic is pitifully slow in that car (at least according to C&D). the passat also came in last place overall out of the 6 cars.
  • motenor1motenor1 Member Posts: 35
    i think this a safety feature wherein depending on how hard you hit the brakes, the tail lights will flicker (similar to pressing the hazard lights button), the harder you hit the brake lights, the faster the flicker of the lights (i think)
  • ddrake30ddrake30 Member Posts: 18
    I have a '99 E46 and installed an aftermarket amplifier while keeping the stock radio (a non-HK system). I'm not sure if things changed between that and '02 models. Basically, the write-up by David Bagby is very complete and will give you an idea of what you'll be getting into: http://e46fanatics.com/faq/stereosaga.html

The install is fairly straight forward once you figure out how to convert the stereo output to a usable line level input for the amplifier. The Peripheral VEN4 converter that he speaks of works great.

If you need more details I'd be happy to provide them.
    I just finished talking to a BMW Customer Relations Manager about my '2003' 330i that I have on order. He informed me that effective 3/1/03 there was a model year change and that I was getting a 2004 330i with an estimated delivery in the first week of May. Upgrades are the 6 speed manual, adaptive brake lights and several very minor changes. I asked him twice if he was sure about the 2004 designation and both times he confirmed that the 3 series sedan's new model year starts with all March productions.
  • loubctloubct Member Posts: 39
    Sure sounds to me that your salesperson is describing the changes for the CI and CIC. I do not believe that the 330I is scheduled for 2004 production until later this year
  • dusterbusterdusterbuster Member Posts: 23
    that's interesting. every other source i've seen indicates that the 330i march production will remain a 2003 MY designation, despite the change to the 6-speed manual and adaptive brake lights. hmm...

i've also noticed that edmunds now has two links for the 2003 330i. the second one has the updated info, including the 6-speed manual and the ZHP option.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148

Join us tonight, 6-7pm PT/9-10pm ET for another round of automotive trivia and member-to-member chat. Test your skills (or multiple choice guessing ability) against other Town Hall members.

http://www.edmunds.com/townhall/chat/townhallchat.html

Hope to see you there!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Call 1 800-831-1117 - I am skeptical as well. I asked if he meant the coupe and he stated that it was all 3 series. I wish I had the reps name (sorry). My dealership originally told me the 2004's were in October??? Wish I knew about the ZHP rear when I ordered but I guess I am never satisfied.
  • bluebeastbluebeast Member Posts: 258
    Production of 330i SEDANS from Mar 1 - Sept 1 are model year 2003. Cars arriving in Oct, built in Sept will be 2004. Coupes & Convertables built after Mar 1 are model year 2004. Coupes and convertables will have the adaptive HEADLIGHTS while the sedan will have to wait until Sept production to get this. ALL 3 series will get the adaptive TAIL LIGHTS.
    shipo: thanks for posting the gear ratios.

seivwrig: I saw you out there in the 325. you were driving it for all it was worth. I loved it.

the w8 is a dog: weighs as much as an M1 tank -- Sortof funny that they make this huge powerful engine that just barely makes enough power to drag itself around (since it is so big).

Autocross: The results are in: I place 3rd out of 14 in my first autocross. I am thrilled with the results. Hard to believe I could beat so many experienced autocrossers --FWIW I was racing against other cars similar to mine--the Mini coopers were in a different class than the M3s. Speaking of the Mini, those things fly. Unbelievable little cars.
  • jschmoe3jschmoe3 Member Posts: 6
    Hail to all and thank you for all the feedback regarding tranny and other changes to 03 sedan.I stopped by my center on the way home last night and discussed changes with my sales rep.He had no idea what transmission would be in my car,was nonplussed by the printout of the bmw website indicating 6-speed as standard equipment(asked to keep copy)and although very helpful in other areas could not confirm any of the changes starting with March production.As far as I've read,coupe and convertible up for 2004 designation APR first to include a host of changes.Good article on changes was found on GERMANCARFANS.COM. [DAN BMW] Once you get production # from your center you can go to BMWUSA.COM and follow site instructions on how to track your order.Pretty easy actually.thanks again to all for good posts.very informative. P.S. BLUEBEARD-I hope your info is correct,I love to shift,and my Boxter-S friend says with the 6 speed I'll be doing alot of it.All the best,jschmoe
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,421
    While I'm not in the market for either of these two wonderful vehicles, I'm always "building my own" on the BMWUSA website. Can someone explain to me why the lease of an M3 is so much higher? I know it is a more expensive car, but there are year old used E46 M3s that are selling at (or slightly below) the original MSRP.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• locke2clocke2c Member Posts: 5,038
    Good job, Lee!

I went out once last year and took first of 10 in my M3, but I am certain it was more the other drivers' fault than my own good skill.

The easy way to tell was to judge myself against the skilled drivers I knew where there... and I wasn't all that close.

Still, I think the odd autocross is very useful for brushing up and having a little cheap fun, especially when you have a great car for it.

-Colin