Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 3-Series 2005 and earlier

Comments

• eliyaleeliyale Member Posts: 13
    Aside from two additional door, assorted interior bits, and a less powerful engine, what are the differences between the 330i Performance Package and the M3 Coupe? Is the suspension setup similar and, if so, the ride quality?
  • bmwdriver02bmwdriver02 Member Posts: 46
    I also was at the New York Auto Show and saw the 330i with the Performance Package. One guy I saw actually went as far as posing in front of the car. That's a little extra ...
  • scipio1scipio1 Member Posts: 142
    The report I have is that the suspension of the 330 PerfP, while tuned beyond the SP, is not nearly as rough as the M3's. The engine is, as you know, considerably less powerful but close to that of the old M3. M3's brakes are much more powerful.

The PerfP 330 gets a shorter throw shifter, which should be a good change - I felt that the M3 could benefit from a shorter throw.

Eli, one question: undergrad? grad school? alumni?

Scipio1 - BK'94
    Go Blue! Harvard sucks.
    Yeah, that's a bit much...

The front air dam looks considerably more subtle in person than it did in the pictures. Really, very little to imply it's anything but a stock 330i, so it wins points for stealth. That guy's friends are probably telling him "Yeah, wow, you got a picture in front of a 330, just like 250,000 other people. Great."

Does anyone here watch BBC's Top Gear? There are some GREAT clips you can download from a P2P service like Kazaa of some old reviews. Tiff Needel is one of the funniest and best car reviewers I've seen, because he clearly loves cars himself (he's an ex-race driver). The M3, M5, and Motorsport episodes are great, as is a side-by-side camparo that Vicki Butler-Henderson did of the M cabrio vs the SLK AMG.

Highly recommended.
    Eagle eye there, fellow Bulldog. Thanks for the info.

Sammy Redd - CC '94
    Boola boola!
    Opinions from anyone who's actually driven the 330i PerfP... Is the driving experience significantly different/improved compared to the 330i SP?
    (Yes, we realize that no one else cares)

Nicole A. from Switzerland I knew very well. If it's her, tell her I said hello. Really fuzzy memory here but did you and she maybe date and/or were very good friends?

Ransom B. (BK 94) was one of my best college friends. Haven't talked in several years but lots of great memories.
  • ttburlisttburlis Member Posts: 1
    I am considering the purchase of a 330i sedan and I have a question about the Harmon Kardon upgrade. According to edmunds the 2001 330i had a fairly decent sounding Harmon Kardon stereo. A recent review of the 2003 330i states that the stereo is now much improved and sounded a lot better than the 2001 stereo. It apparently now has dual 6X9 subwoofers among other things. My question is: Does the 2002 have the same stereo as the 2001 model or the 2003 model? No BMW dealer in my area seems to be able to give me a straight answer on this, sometimes they even throw an answer out there without really even knowing what the detail of the question are first. I could probably go bug the parts department and compare the systems piece by piece, but I figure it's better to post on this board.
    So no speculation or guess work please, I need accurate information.

thanks in advance,
    Tom
    You're dead on. We dated for a short time, but became really great friends afterwards. I'll let her know you said hi.

I didn't know Ransom very well while we were at school, but I certainly remember him. I wonder what he's up to... By the way, since you got my previous message, I deleted it.

On topic, are you thinking about the 330 PerfP? The one real criticsm I have of the new M3 versus the old one is useability. The old M3 was fine for both regular use and "fun" use. The new one is a bit extreme for everyday use. The transmission needs to be babied until warm, the ride is considerably rougher, the gas mileage has decreased considerably, etc. For a multiuse car that retains the "fun factor", the PerfP may be the better mix, I suspect.

One question: I've heard the term 330ZHP thrown around. I'm assuming this refers to the performance package? Can anyone confirm or correct that?
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    That seems to be the moniker for that auto!
    ZHP is the order code for the Performance Package.

Actually, I took delivery of a new Imola Red (!) ZHP on Friday. I hadn't had a chance to drive it much until today, and I also wanted some sense of how this car compares to others in the lineup. Hence, my questions.

Well, having just finished a 6 hour road trip I can say unequivocally... wow! The Ultimate Driving Experience indeed. As an around-town cruiser, it's not especially thrilling with a ride that is almost too firm for comfort. It works as a daily driver, but as people have written about the M3, it seems to be almost bored at American highway speeds.

The open road is where this car really shines. It just begs you to drive fast, one of those rare cars that actually feels more comfortable and composed at 85 (or 95) than at 55 mph. Where's a good Autobahn when you need one?

The most remarkable thing about the car is its handling. The tires grip the road like velcro. By the end of the trip, I was driving up and downhill like a madman, taking hairpin curves at full speed... with plenty of grip to spare. The car is absolutely unflappable. It almost becomes a game, trying to find the car's limits. You push, the car pushes right back.

The enhanced exhaust note does nothing to improve performance but it's an incredible guilty pleasure nevertheless. The same is true of the various interior upgrades. The shorter throw shifter is a nice touch, but I could take or leave the 6th gear.

The Alcantara upholstery, I suspect, will be a matter of personal taste. It feels a little funky at first, but it keeps you practically glued to the exceptionally supportive sport seats and the obscenely thick M steering wheel.

Overall, the Performance Package is a winner... and a great bargain. You get a lot of performance and cosmetic content for your money plus the intangible asset of distinctiveness. In a world full of standard issue "Bimmers," every aspect of the car looks and feels special. I got stares and compliments everywhere I stopped.
  • speeds2muchspeeds2much Member Posts: 164
    eliyale...sounds like your car is a blast. Regarding your autobahn wishes, too bad you didn't take European Delivery. Maybe you could occasionally track it, or even take it into some remote western state at some point, though, if you so dare. :o)
    You read my mind. A trip to Montana is definitely in the works!
    You've got me drooling vicariously. Are those wheels the fat M 17s or the new 18s? I remember the fat 17s added SO much to the cornering experience and sheer confidence with their rock-solid grip. The new 18s are awesome, but add the hassle of different sized front and rears.

Congratulations on the new car, I think the Imola red is miles better than the standard. So, who's going to take charge of passing out the celebratory cigars?
  • joes230joes230 Member Posts: 94
    In 1999 Montana reinstated a posted speed limit, including interstate highways. I think it's 75mph.

However even before this you could get a ticket. During the "no speed limit period" (1995-1999) my friend got a ticket on a rural Montana freeway in broad daylight, dry road, no traffic, driving a Dodge Stealth at about 95mph.

That said there are lots of extremely rural highways in Montana and Nevada where you can essentially drive any speed you want. Highway 50 across Nevada is a two-lane road with a posted speed limit of 70. In theory you could get a ticket. However there's so little traffic and it's so remote, it's very unlikely esp if you had a radar detector. It includes large stretches of straight road across desert terrain where you can see for miles in all directions.
  • riezriez Member Posts: 2,361
    eliyale... What was the MSRP on your 330i w/Perf Pkg? What did you pay? Guessin' the dealers are not doing any discounting, or if they are, it ain't much.

Sounds like you'll love the car. The automotive press seems to think it is the next best thing to a 4-door M3.
    Scipio, the tires are 18 inchers with monster grip. And you're right, the Imola Red is gorgeous. If you can look at the car and not drool, something about you isn't human!

As for the price, I got a really good deal from Crown BWW in Greensboro, NC. With xenons, heated seats, sunroof, the MSRP was $41,645. Selling price was $40,339 (5.8% over invoice of $38,120), which was actually lower than Edmunds TMV ($40,397). Flow BMW in Winston-Salem wanted full MSRP for the same car. Moral of the story: it pays to shop around.
  • jgraveljgravel Member Posts: 54
    My dealer just confirmed he found the car I ordered. It's on a boat somewhere, he won't know the due date for a day or two. 330xi, Mystic Blue w/ Sand, PP, CW, STEP.

Thanks for all the info and enthusiasm from this bd. I'm looking forward to being a "key carrying" member.

-Jay
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    Congrats on your Performance Package 330i! The Imola Red is an awesome color. Thanks for the great write up too.

Now a few questions for you:

Did you order the car or did this particular dealer had one coming in on allocation?

Did you have a chance to drive a 330i SP? What made you step up and decide to get the Performance Package?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

I spied this car in the showroom while shopping for a 325i coupe. I hadn't heard anything about the Performance Package, and when I saw it, any thoughts I had about any other model went out the window. It looked so great and even though it was significantly more expensive than the 325i, it struck me as an excellent bargain in terms of content, distinctiveness, and probable resale value. As soon as I got my hands on the Alcantara steering wheel, I was sold.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    That's definitely a big jump. This car is impressive from a visual standpoint (I loved the 1 I saw at the auto show). Did you finance or pay cash? I assume you didn't lease because you talk about probable better resale value.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• jean7of9jean7of9 Member Posts: 192
    I have been enjoying my 03 330xi since its delivery two months ago. You all know how well it drives on twisty mountain roads. What surprised me the most is its rigidity. No rattle or squeaks despite the devilish potholes. The number of potholes on our roads and streets are tires/wheels/suspension retailers dreams. There are so many of them that once would think they are stuck on the wheels. Nevertheless, the bimmer never lets down. I can feel the hole but do not hear its consequences on the body or panel. I seldom drove such a solid feeling car of any make, including many MB's.
    Some advise to Canadian Buyers looking for DVD Navigation System. BMW will charge you for the DVD Nav but will deliver the car with CD-ROM # 8 which covers only few Metropolitan Areas in Canada. Once you are about 50 km for Down Town (31 miles) it goes blank. IF you do not want to use it to show off to your friends it is not worth its value. You can buy a DVD-ROM on your own but I am not sure it works on the Canadian Models. My dealer who claims to be among top three biggest in Canada has never seen a BMW DVD-ROM in Canada yet. He openly discourages his prospective customers from selecting this option after so many customers expressed their frustration with this deception.
  • leenelsonmdleenelsonmd Member Posts: 208
    Was travelling south on 288 the other day just outside of town but inside the beltway. Topped a hill and the V1 gave a laser warning and sitting about 200 yards ahead in the median was a police cruiser (HPD traffic enforcement). He was sitting in the car with the driver's door open and leaning out with the laser radar gun. This was a new technique -- in the past the laser boys have always stood beside the vehicle and rested the weapon on the roof of the car. This standing technique gives you a brief warning because you can usually spot the officers head and sunglasses as you top a hill and slowdown. The new technique of sitting in the car was a little stealthier.
    --Within the city limits of Houston the laser patrol is relatively rare, but potent and will defeat the radar detectors--I got a warning this time, but he was probably checking my speed as the V1 was chirping--thankfully I was within his tolerance.
    --I have not yet seen a laser patrolman in Houston off of the interstate system.

Motortrend: Check out the June issue of Motortrend. It is absolutely fabulous and outrageous. They test 10 cars for speed and as a bonus they take a look at the new WRX Sti. It is fascinating. Three cars for $30k can basically almost keep up with the fastest cars in the world like the Lambo Murcielago ($285k) and others. These three cars are as fast as an M3 for 60% of the money: Mitsu Lancer Evolution, the Subaru WRX Sti, and the Ford Mustang Cobra SVT. It fascinates me that for so little money you can get such a high performance speedster -- maybe a seminal event in automotive technology/availability/production.

You may be tempted to say that these little rockets are fast but are not sturdy enough for the job -- don't speak too soon. The Lancer tied for 3rd in braking from 100mph (292ft) and was second place in the slalom at 71.4mph. These are impressive numbers. At the time and location of testing it beat the M3 in almost every regard:

0-60: 4.59s
    1/4 mile: 13.08 @105.1mph
    60-0: 106ft
    top speed: 156mph (elec governed)
  • ryokenryoken Member Posts: 291
    I guess it depends on what you want. Yes, those cars have the raw power. But their concept of "premium package" doesn't come close to the standard features on a base 325. Some of us like rain-sensing wipers with our sports suspensions.

It's definately a good time to be a car enthusiast, though.
  • seivwrigseivwrig Member Posts: 388
    I had a chance to see the Lancer EVO and WRX STi when I was home in England, last year. They are inpressive but they are priced around 3 series and G35 prices. It really comes down to raw power versus refined sport. For people in our age group, that could be a tough call. For those that long for the muscle car days and can live with a four banger. These are good performing cars. If one longs for a luxury car, which the 3er is, then 300 HP will not matter. A BMW is the best of both worlds (at least in the U.S.), sport and luxury in one car. In Europe, I don't know if I would consider the 318i as luxury, still sporty but no lux. Probably the same reason that we don't see the Lexus IS200 in this country. I wish I had a full blown version of Adobe Acrobat, I have some very interesting brochures from the last 25 years.
  • jpierce26jpierce26 Member Posts: 60
    Hi all,

I just left the dealer with a deposit on a new 325XI with SP, PP, CWP, Xenon, upgraded Harmon, and NAV. Looks like they will have to order the car, I guess NAV is not too popular. The NAV is the feature I wanted the most.

I would like to think I did pretty well. I was able to get $1,100 over invoice. I am going back tomorrow to test drive a car with automatic and standard transmission because I am still undecided about it.

Any words of wisdom?

JP
  • asleepyasleepy Member Posts: 70
    I have a 2003 BMW 325i, manual, moonroof, OBC and Xenon. It has 750 miles on it. Today, I tried to start it and the engine did not catch on the first time. It did catch on the second try but the Service Engine Soon light stayed on. I drove it 5 mis., did a 10 min. errand and tried to start car. Again, it would not start the first time. It started again the second time and on the way home, I happen to notice that the coolant temp. needle had gone all the way to the right, passed the red danger zone. The red danger zone light on the dial did not come on at all. After the car cooled, I checked the coolant level and it was full. I am taking the car in to the dealer to have it checked but I am disappointed as the car only has 750 miles on it. As for the Service Engine Soon light, it is not a fuel cap issue as I did not put any gas in for about a week (still had 1/3 tank left). Anyone experience something similar? Thanks.
  • ddblueddblue Member Posts: 117
    Brave,

That list you posted had me drooling. Oh, how easy it is to want to mod (but never more SHOW than GO, as my 540i 6-spd friend says). My list:

Now:
    BMW M-Parallel 18x8s
    235/45YR-18 Kumho Ecsta MXs
    Autothority CAI
    Autothority ECU Upgrade
    Clears corner lights front/rear
    Aluminum M-Pedals
    Aluminum M-Shift Knob

Future:
    M3 Steering Wheel
    Carbon Fiber trim
    UUC Short Shift Kit
    UUC Strut Tower Brace
    UUC TSE2 Exhaust
    Lightweight Flywheel
    Limited Slip Diff ($$)
    ESS Tuning Supercharger ($$$)

I want my 325Ci to be a total sleeper. The badging and body will go unchanged. I dream of pulling up next to a G35c or a 350Z and blowing his doors off. :)

seivwrig: I completely agree w/ your assessment of the new Japanese supercars. I'm sure they're a hoot to drive, but the lack of amenities and the cheap interiors make it an incomplete package. I'll stick with my 325ci, b/c I would not really want to take my date to a posh restaurant when we're both dressed up more than office casual. It's not about status, but it driving up in a BMW just feels better than pulling up in a tinny Mitsu with a giant wing on the back. I can take my car to Morton's for a nice dinner with the girl and the next day, still toss it around at the Auto-X. I'll stick with the total package, thanks.
  • enforcerenforcer Member Posts: 40
    Just behind Toyota and Porsche. So much for consumer reports data.
  • white6white6 Member Posts: 588
    Just read that Honda/Accura is killing the CL sport coupe due to poor sales.....
  • leenelsonmdleenelsonmd Member Posts: 208
    I agree about the luxury issue that everyone has addressed. I did not get my car just for speed. It was the whole package that does it -- the sport, the luxury, the feel, the solidness, etc. The 3 series was the best vehicle for me and represented the best value IMO. The Corvette is a perfect example of a car that has for many years had raw power and rigid handling, but the interior finish, image and the ownership experience as a whole IMO negated the positive traits.

Nevertheless, I still am intrigued when I see a Corvette and now a WRX Sti, or Lancer Evo, because I can appreciate so many of the terrific aspects of each of these cars. The Mazda Miata is another example -- although it is in another performance category -- it is still a terrific car to toss through the curves.

ddblue -- I love the sleeper concept. Supercharge that thing and surprise the world.

Final point: These $30k land based missiles out of Japan, do nothing but raise the bar for BMW. They have thrown down the gauntlet. I can barely imagine the response.
    If you really want a navigation system and don't want to wait and/or pay a lot for it, a great option is the portable Garmin StreetPilot III. I've had mine for a year, and it's better than any factory setup I've seen... with more complete and accurate maps, a more colorful screen, and more natural voice prompts. It's got all of the features of a factory system with the advantage of being portable (great for multiple car families; take it with you when you buy a new car), easily upgradeable through online downloads, easier to operate, and best of all, you can get a new one for less than $700 on eBay.

For more info, check out these reviews:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000066TPN/qid=1052- 264920/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_1/103-6434857-3279023?v=glance&s=elect- ronics&n=507846
  • biggeststickbiggeststick Member Posts: 5
    Hello all,

Quick question for all of you guys....Do I pony up 24 or 25 K for a 2000 323 CI coupe, PP, SP, Xenons, 5 speed,29,000 miles, or should I stretch the budget and get a 2002 325 CI, comparably equipped for 28 or 29K. I am on a budget, but am thinking that I would be better off in the 02 (with 18k miles) than the 00, even if the 00 is cheaper. Is this logic stupid, or do you agree? What do you guys think? Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks

Biggest
  • tenet1tenet1 Member Posts: 354
    For $3-$4K more you get the following:

2 year newer car
    11K less miles
    A car under factory warranty
    More base features
    Updated look (if you care)

I'd take the '02 without a doubt if I could stretch my budget.
  • dave330idave330i Member Posts: 893
    There's always European Delivery to save some more money.
  • biggeststickbiggeststick Member Posts: 5
    Hello all,

Quick question for all of you guys....Do I pony up 24 or 25 K for a 2000 323 CI coupe, PP, SP, Xenons, 5 speed,29,000 miles, or should I stretch the budget and get a 2002 325 CI, comparably equipped for 28 or 29K. I am on a budget, but am thinking that I would be better off in the 02 (with 18k miles) than the 00, even if the 00 is cheaper. Is this logic stupid, or do you agree? What do you guys think? Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks

Biggest
  • chile96chile96 Member Posts: 330
    Although, $4K is large, albeit larger to some than others, I think your choice is fairly obvious. Although the miles on the '00 are low for the age, it doesn't offset the MY, i.e. the remaining warranty. Go w/ your gut and sit yourself in your new '02 coupe - ENJOY!

fo
  • chile96chile96 Member Posts: 330
    As regards to my new 325i - just about to cross the 1000 mile threshold - what's the policy w/ the oil changes. Now that they are included in maintenance, the recommendations have changed from every 3K to now every 12-15K miles, depending on driving habits of course. Should I go ahead and pay to have it done every 3K or stick w/ the schedule - I want this thing to last past the 4yr/50K mi. warranty! Also, I've read where some have suggested changing the oil after ther 1st 1000 miles then sticking to the schedule. OTOH, some have said the initial oil placed by the manufacturer is actually different than regular oil and contains "special" products to help w/ break-in. Any enlightenment would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks
    fo
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    I always stick with the manufacturers recommendation with regards to oil changes for all my vehicles.

My 330i has 14,400 miles on it and I am bringing it in for it's first service. The car hasn't seen the dealer in almost 12 months. I put some oil in about 5,000 miles as it was low, and haven't put any additional oil in since.

Bringing the car in more frequently is of course a personal preference. If it makes you feel better about your vehicle than by all means do so. But if you bring it to BMW they will charge you and won't actually give you the first service until the service indicator indicates so.
  • dan_bmwdan_bmw Member Posts: 29
    My 20 year old daughter came home for summer break from college on Wednesday. We never told her we bought a new 330i. When she saw the Orient blue with grey leather beauty, she actually tripped over her luggage getting to the car. She loves the car and so do I. Nicole is a die hard bimmer fan who could probably be appeased by an MB, G35 or an Audi. She is saving for a white 330Ci 6SP. Expensive tastes; I hope she finds a good job.

Even though I only have about 500 miles on the car, I do have some questions relative to some discussions that have come up in the past. I would appreciate some help from the more experienced owners or direction to past comments.

1. I do not have the sports package (long story - but a mistake). I hope I do not offend anyone but I absolutely despise the 330i wheels. First I do not think they are that attractive and secondly they are a royal pain to clean and keep clean. My question here is three-fold. Could I use these original rims to mount snow tires in the winter? I heard several brands of snow tires mentioned - any recomendations? Any ideas on new BMW or aftermarket 17" wheel rim replacements? I am fine with road tires.

2. Recommendations on radar detectors? I live in New Jersey. I am using a low priced Cobra right now but I am looking for something better and more concealable.

3. A comment- not a question. I can't believe that a luxury car like the 330i with the PP option does not come standard with an integrated garage door openers.

4. Another comment - The new 6 speed works great. I expected a shorter throw but thats ok. 3rd gear is awesome. In 6th gear the engine does 2400 rpm at 70 but don't try to race anybody. The car could use the 3.07 (sports package) or higher rear.

5. When is the car considered fully broken in? Is it 1200 miles? The salesman told me just to drive it normal after 100 miles and don't worry about breakin.
  • ryokenryoken Member Posts: 291
    Nice car. Your daughter has every reason to trip over her luggage. :)

1. I wouldn't call it a mistake. All 330's have the sport suspension, even if you don't have the seats, steering wheel, and rims that come with the sport package. I don't see why you can't mount snow tires on the original rims, though with the price of 17" winter tires, it may be cheaper to get 16" steel wheels for that duty and sell off the wheels you don't like. As for keeping them clean, that's probably the brake dust -- you may want to look into low-dust aftermarket brake pads when it's time to change them out. (I think Axxis and EBC make pads that are low-dust and perform as well or better than the stock pads.)

2. The top two radar detectors would be the Escort 8500 and the Valentine 1. They both come with, or have optional, remote displays to aid concealed installations.

5. Refer to the break-in outline in your owner's manual. Use the rules and mileage it recommends. General rule of thumb: the manufacturer's engineers are smarter than the dealer's salesmen when it comes to this kind of thing.
    1. My experience is that there is always some kind of buyer's remorse with a car purchase. Short of a house, it's the most expensive item that you'll probably ever buy, and with so many features and options, there's bound to be one or two that you don't like... i.e. the slightly harsh ride on my otherwise perfect new 330i ZHP. I can say from my experience with my previous car, a VW GTI, that mods (e.g. wheels, suspension upgrades, exhaust, etc.) usually make things worse not better. My satisfaction with the car actually decreased with each mod I did. A well-conceived car like the 3-series is built with balance in mind. You start adding and subtracting and you upset the balance. Just MHO, but I say wait awhile before you make any significant changes.

2. I just bought my first radar detector, the cordless Escort Solo S2, and I really like it. It's small, looks good, and you don't have a cord blocking your sightlines. My understanding is that the S2 is, by far, the best cordless model out there but that you give up performance, especially range, with a battery-operated unit. Hard-wiring is an option if you want a cordless look but aren't willing to sacrifice performance. I hear great things about the Escort 8500, too. Two great sites for radar detector reviews. http://www.radarbusters.com and http://www.radartest.com

3. Well, considering the fact that BMW is selling cars as fast as they can make them, you can complain but you can't really argue with their pricing strategy. If BMW pricing really bothers you, I hear GM is offering some really sweet deals right now. :)

5. Generally speaking, when it comes to technical advice, it's a good idea to do the exact opposite of what the salesman says. My favorite salesman quote of all time was in response to my question about what kind of gas to use: "The manufacturer says premium but, hell, you could put diesel in this thing and it'd still fly."
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Regarding wheels, one of the nice things about owning a BMW is that almost every wheel manufacturer in the world is tripping over themselves to make nice looking wheels for these cars, including BMW. Check out the following links:

http://www.tirerack.com
    http://www.bmwwheels.com
    http://www.circlebmw.com
    http://www.pacificbmw.com
    http://www.bmwlinks.com
    http://www.roadfly.org/bmw/

Regarding tires, if I remember correctly, there are only a few choices for 205/50-17 winter tires, and one of them happens to be the Michelin Pilot-Alpin tires ($132 per). I used the Michelin Arctic-Alpin tires this last winter, which are the little brother of the Pilot-Alpins, and they performed great, were quiet on dry roads, and as an extra benefit, the Pilot-Alpins are also speed rated to 130 mph.

Regarding the integrated garage door opener (aka. UGO), I still have mine from my 1999 E46 328i (with sunroof) if you are interested.

Regarding the break-in, ditto what the others said; ignore your salesman. That said, "Normal" driving here in the U.S.A. is well within the guidelines for the break-in period. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • rogerabrogerab Member Posts: 29
    I installed Pirreli #210 Snowsport on the factory rims on my 2003 #330i and could not be happier. I found the traction to be excellent on ice and snow and as I will not keep my car for more than three years and it did not worth getting another set of rims.
    I have owned many different cars over the years and the 330i is the best for me. After 6 months of ownership I still get a thrill out of of my car. I think my age drops when I get behind the wheel.
    (1) Re cleaning wheels, this is very easy. I use Mcguire's spray-on cleaner -- you just hose it off, no scrubbing required. Try it!

Re winter tires, your choices in 205/50-17 are the Bridgestone Blizzak LM-22, Dunlop Winter Sport M2, and Michelin Pilot Alpin. See www.tirerack.com for more info, including tests and user reviews.

You can install them on the factory rims, but generally you want two sets of rims -- summer and winter. Constantly mounting/demounting twice/year will stress the tires, plus you pay for a mount & balance job each time.

If your winters aren't too bad you could use an all-season high performance tire like the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S. According the TireRack's tests, it's about 85% of the dry performance of the max performance Pilot Sport, which is pretty good, and better than some cheaper summer performance tires. Lots of places in the US have cold weather but not much winter precip. But if you have serious snow/ice I wouldn't use this.

(2) The Valentine 1 and Escort Passport 8500 are usually considered the best. For user reviews see www.eopinions.com. A few people have used both simultaneously.

I have an 8500 with a hard-wired power cord. It's mounted high and left of the rear view mirror. It's very discrete -- can't easily be seen from the rear, nor from the sides at pedestrian eye level. The display is 4-level user-dimable so that helps. It's difficult to see from front because window tint shields it from pedestrian eye level, yet it has a clear untinted shot at the road below. The suction cup stays on the window. It mounts/dismounts from this in about 2 sec. The power cord is only about 2 in. long and conceals in the headliner when not in use -- very neat.

The coolest Valentine installation I've seen places it inside the middle brake light housing (detector still sees the road OK) and the remote display is integrated in a half-silvered section of a custom rear view mirror. It's $200 plus the V1 cost, plus install. http://www.ecisbmw.com/product_files/accessories/V1 see also http://www.vb.quik.com/jmciver/pages/v1.html

Whichever one you get make sure you get a hard wired power cord.

(5) Re break-in see my post on Bimmerfest.com about this: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2- - - 8266&perpage=25&pagenumber=2
  • sirtigersirtiger Member Posts: 38
    Brake dust: where can I get a "Mcguire's spray-on cleaner"?? The cleaning of my sport rims on the 530i is getting quite cumbersome... price to pay for nice rims? hmmm...

V1: I am not sure if it is great to put the V1 in the brake light housing. It looks cool and all but the radar should be mounted higher... as in upper windshield. That was according to the V1 manual. I velcro the V1 unit on the right side of the rear view mirror. I put the concealer on a velcro as well on the very left side of the corner dashboard (near the registration/emission stickered on the windshield). I hard wired the whole thing to the electrical as I can't stand wires all over the place. The velcro is cool as I just pop it out & in as I please. I almost forgot to unplug the V1 a few times! The whole thing installation took me 2-3 hours. I looked at www.bmwtips.com for the wiring information.
  • CrevelsCrevels Member Posts: 37
    I have begun researching rims for dedicated snow tires for my 330Ci (there are some good auctions on Ebay). I've been thinking about the 3 setups below. Any feedback on which you think might be best.

1) Another set of 68M rims in the 225 width for front and 245 width for rear (can I even get a snow tire in 245 width?)

2) Another set of 68m rims with the 225 width for both front and rear.

3) A set of 16" rims all the way around.

I really like the look of the 17" wheels on the car and I'm concerned that 16" might look "small". I'm leaning towards option 2. Any suggestions? We don't get much snow in southeast PA, but I want to be able to drive most of the year and not be concerned. I've got a Highlander for those bigger snowstorms.
    Note I misspelled it -- it's spelled "Meguires". Their web site is http://www.meguiars.com

The product I used was "Gold Class Instant Wheel Cleaner".

Most autoparts and accessory stores have various wheel cleaners. I'd never used any before my 330i SP. It was quite laborious to get the wheels clean, so I decided to try one. I picked Meguiars because I liked their other products. There are other good brands as well. I was amazed at how well it worked. Spray on, wait 60 sec, hose off with a spray gun. Probably a garden hose sprayer would also work.

Re V1 mounting, while higher is generally better, those using the brake light mount say it works very well for radar. It probably greatly reduces or almost eliminates the Lidar detection, but some feel that's of limited value anyway. If you live in Virginia or DC, you probably want this kind of concealment.

However I got a Laser warning on my 8500 about 3/4 mile away, evidently through the windshield of a car 200 yards in front of me. He and I were the only cars on the road. At that point he was physically between me and the cop. About 1/2 mile later at a range of 1/4 mile from the cop, the detector went off again as he targeted me. Maybe that was lucky, but it shows it's possible to get useful laser warnings, at least under some conditions.
  • kominskykominsky Member Posts: 850
    Crevels - I also have a 330Ci. I picked up a set of OEM 44's (seven spoke star rims from 325 SP) for my winter setup. I got them on ebay for $510, in mint condition. I have Dunlop winter sports, 225's, all the way around. We got more snow this year than usual (also SE PA) and there were times I wish I would've gone down to 205's with a narrower wheel but still 17". However, the handling was quite impressive when the roads were dry.

mg330ci - I've been riding a MC since I was 16 yrs old (39 now). I currently have a Honda VFR and love it. There are definite risks involved, but the joys of riding outweigh them, IMHO. I would recommend signing up for the MSF course. You take the course on their bikes and it's a great way to decide if you even enjoy it before dropping the $$ on a bike of your own. Plus the skills learned are priceless. My personal recommendation would be to start in the 600cc class for a first bike. The only real downside is even a little 1/2 liter bike will make your car feel slow.

oil change - I finally had a chance to use my oil extractor. Thanks again to Div and Chris! I got the model offered by griot's garage since it was the only one I could find with a large enough capacity. What an awesome way to change oil. Anyone need their oil changed? Come on... please? I'll pay you... hahaha!
  • brave1heartbrave1heart Member Posts: 2,698
    I am thinking of selling my OEM Star 44's (seven spoke star rims from 325 SP) - anyone interested, please drop me an e-mail.