Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 3-Series 2005 and earlier

Comments

• kashcheikashchei Member Posts: 4
    I knew it was to good to be true... Thank you guys for your responses. I got a lot of others to tell me the same thing. Guess I'll start looking again!
  • denrightdenright Member Posts: 285
    And I have found the service to be mediocre at best. Pretty shabby, really, considering I spent $35K on the damn thing.

I just got off the phone with VOB BMW in Rockville, MD. They give loaners with all service. My saleman said, "we aren't going to let you hitchhike out of here."

I am really liking VOB so far, in case anyone from the DC area is reading this. They gave me the best price and have been exceedingly courteous.

Incidentally, Veekay, I asked my salesman about the delivery time, and he said it takes the cars up to 15 days extra to reach the west coast than the east coast. Where are you located?
    Ah, I see you're from Jersey (my original home state). That's actually the point of delivery in the US. I guess your location has nothing to do with this question.

Incidentaly, has anyone heard of ANYONE getting a price better than $1500 over invoice with floormats included?
  • mikesm6mikesm6 Member Posts: 32
    Hi Y'all! Anyone who has faith in dealers' service departments is delusional. Far better to buy one of these great rides after the huge initial depreciation hit(s). I'll never forget the 5 week absence of the '88 735i @ one year of age - the entire wiring harness was replaced under warranty - near $10,000. in parts alone! That experience forced the sale of my trouble free 850i at 47 1/2 months of ownership. M
  • micgamicga Member Posts: 56
    I am just going to throw this one out there for you all. Do you find that BMW dealers treat a younger 325i customer much differently then say an older guy buying a 740il? I am sure that they do. My 325i was built in SA. I ordered this car on Feb 20th and found out that it just got to the dealership today. My salesman has told me that he would keep me posted throughout the process. He did call a couple of times (giving me mostly inacurate info). The majority of the time, I had to call him to "check up". Everytime I did, he would say "Oh yeah, it was produced, shipped, etc" days after the fact. Last Saterday, he said that since I have waited long enough, when the car comes in, I can pick it up the next day. I just called him and he told me it got there today. I figured that I could pick it up tomarrow. No such luck. He said, "Come on!, pick it up on Tuesday, what's another 3 days". He than proceeded to rush me off the phone because he was busy. Tuesday makes it a total of 11 weeks. I just have a very hard time believing that a 50 year old 740il customer would of gotten this sort of treatment. What do you guys think??
  • thedeepdarkbluthedeepdarkblu Member Posts: 106
    I have a distinct feeling you may be correct on this one. When I went in to put the deposit down on my as yet to be received 325Ci, my salesperson assumed that I was going to buy a 330Ci (I had requested quotes for both). Before I even said anything, she so casually stated, "You'll be so happy you didn't underbuy. If you had gone with the 325, you definitely would've been underbuying." I then looked straight at her and said, "Well, as a matter of fact, I'm going with the 325, NOT the 330." She quite lamely replied, "Uh, oh. Well, hey that's a great car. You'll be really happy with that, too." Nice try, lady. I think about how they view 3-series vs. 7-series buyers, and it's probably the same situation as when a person goes into Nordstrom and wants to buy some dress socks and gets upstaged by the man who's there to buy 2 Armani suits and matching shoes (even though the socks may be really really nice). Geez. BMW makes most of their money off 3-series sales, anyway. You'd think they'd get a clue.
    I can say that I originally asked about a 325xi, and got ok, treatment. When I test drove, I really strongly preferred the extra power offered by the 330xi, and, after adjusting my options accordingly, the 330xi only ended up costing me about $4K more than I was going to spend on the 325xi. Not bad, really.

I have to say that I perceived NO CHANGE in how I was treated when I shifted up from the 325xi to the 330xi. Maybe that's because I was already a "325 buyer" in the salesman's head, or maybe because the jump was only $4,000. regardless, I didn't detect any new special catering.

Truthfully, I found VOB BMW to be pretty respectful and easy to deal with all around. We'll see how I feel in a year.
  • burrsrburrsr Member Posts: 255
    My wife signed me up for "The Ultimate Driving Experience" for the second weekend in June at a local recetrack. It appears to be a mini-driving school type of thing. Apparently, it's only offered to BMW owners, and the best part is that it's FREE! Icing on the cake is that she reserved a 530i for my time slot (could have had a 330ix, but would be too similar to my 330i). Anyone have any experience with this? Comments?
  • ds2k1ds2k1 Member Posts: 101
    In my opinion, they'd be very stupid to treat 325 buyers in such a manner. If they're smart, they'd realize that these cars sell themselves. Today's 20-30-something 325/330 buyer is tomorrow's 5-Series buyer, 7-Series buyer, and so on. In fact, my salesman made many references to the distinct possibility that I'd want to upgrade when I return my car in 3 years and he treated me and my lease options accordingly. Not to be a snob, but not just any 20-30-something can afford a $30-40K car. If you're buying a car at this price now, you'll probably be in the market for something nicer in another 3-5 years. My salesman even recommended that I go with 12K miles on my lease, instead of 15K, because if I want another Bimmer when I turn this one in, odds are they'll simply look the other way at the excessive mileage and why should I pay for that upfront? I distinctly got the impression that he looked at me as a potential lifetime BMW customer and if he treats me honestly and with respect, why wouldn't I continue to buy my Bimmers from him? No reason I can think of. I think my salesman has the right idea and it's too bad other salesman don't think about a 20-30-something buying their first expensive car as a potential long term revenue stream. They'd certainly work a little harder for our business, and our satisfaction, than some of you are experiencing.
  • Plastic19Plastic19 Member Posts: 6
    Is there anyway to track the status of production without calling your sales person everyday? My barebones(MR, WT, HS, in dash) 325i is Status Code: 154. Now that I have my VIN is there a way to track it online?

How do you tell from your VIN where your car is made?

thanks

thedeepdarkblu: I think that they make a heck of a lot more money on 5's and 7's, especially the salesperson. If their comission is based on % of profit, wouldn't you rather sell a car that you make $5,000-7,000 than one that you make $1,500 over invoice? Which is what we are all seem to be trying to get them down to.

The 3 to BMW is like a Focus or a Cavalier to Ford or Chevy. They sell them, at lower margins, (even at a loss for Ford and Chevy) to hook us on the product and hope that we will buy the more expensive models in the comming years.
  • bmwvadriverbmwvadriver Member Posts: 13
    It's 5:25 p.m. and I still don't know whether I'm getting my car back today after 3 days in the shop. The dealer said they were working on it, and would let me know. But of course they close at 6.

The BMW NA Customer [un]Service number I called today has soured me almost completely on BMW. I spoke to a rep. this morning at around 10. I found her to be rude, unresponsive, unprofessional, and overall unhelpful. She told me she'd have to call me back after she spoke to her manager to see if BMW could even provide me with a loaner car while my car is in the shop for days on end. As of 3 p.m., I hadn't heard a thing...not from her, not from the dealer.

I called BMW NA again just after 3 p.m. I spoke to a different rep. who gave me the impression of trying to be more helpful. I asked to speak to a manager, and he told me that his manager was not in today. I responded by saying "You're telling me there's not a single manager on duty." He offered to give me a manager's voice mail. I then explained to him the nature of my problem. He then offered to see if he could locate another manager from another "team," and put me on hold. The next thing I know, the same woman I spoke to this morning was on the phone, and ruder than before. She kept interrupting me by saying "Excuse me, but I have other callers also." She refused to let me speak to a manager, and only would say she'd give her manager a message and have him call me within 24 hours. I insisted on having the manager's voice mail, and she refused repeatedly until I said I would simply keep calling back until someone put me into his voice mail.

BMW NA has reflected the worst customer service I have ever experienced anywhere from anyone. This has been a nightmare.

I've called the Mercedes dealer and believe I'm trading...that is, once I get my car back.
  • camnellum1camnellum1 Member Posts: 19
    Your dealer is giving you a line...my car arrived at my NJ dealer yesterday and I picked it up today at lunch. (It arrived in port on May 1st)

As for that first drive, it was wonderful. I am amazed at how quiet the 325xi is...I was under the impression that wind noise was a minor drawback of these vehicles...

Acceleration is not as good as my 99.5 Jetta VR6 that I traded in and the spectrum of linear power is not as "robust". I am convinced that this is due to the vehicle weight with the 325xi coming in at over 4500 pounds. With that said however, the power curve on this car is still very good, and while travelling down a back road at an apparent low speed, I looked down to notice I was doing 30mph over the limit....whoooops. Again, the quietness of this car may lead to a perception of less power and quickness.

The interior appointments are absolutely top notch. Everything is of finest quality and workmanship right down to the turn signal levers, which are finely textured and ergonomically shaped to fit very nicely in your fingers. Those little things like that and the little rubber clip that holds the trunk decking up so you can get at the spare tire are really taking me by surprise. I hope the surprises (all good I hope) keep coming...

The HK stereo upgrade really cranks...I have to go out now and load the changer to test the system more.

The exterior is more beautiful than I could have hoped...except that the front license plate holder was installed before I picked it up. The dealer said that all of theirs come that way...oh well. Other that that, I have no disappoinments about this car...

By the way, chrome exhaust tips are standard on all xi models and 330 models. The 325i needs to have thme ordered.

My dealer in NJ was Hunterdon BMW. (salesman Jerry Nace) I highly recommend them for no nonsense and honesty and timeliness. Tracking the car on BMWUSA owners circle was right on the button.

I will check back with more comments as I drive more.
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    A 325ix weighs 4500 pounds!?! My 1999 328i weighs 3200 and change, does the 4 wheel drive system really weigh 1300 pounds?

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    A 325i weighs in at 3241 lbs. with a manual transmission, a 325ix weighs 3494 lbs., a difference of 253 pounds. Not too bad.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • veekay1veekay1 Member Posts: 180
    bmwvadriver:
    absolutely pathetic!! I feel very bad for you! this is unacceptable, especially for a new customer and that too from a luxury car maker. I have one suggestion: Send the same exact post as an e mail via the "priority e mail option" that you have on the BMW Owner circle page. In addition, maybe on Monday now, you should call the Munich HQ and let them have it!! It should only be around 10-15c/min. ...just blast them with phone calls, e mails, faxes. It should make a difference.
    I agree that you should let go of this car....who knows even if your problem is solved for now, what else it has in store for you. But tell me, what would you tell the MB dealer if he asked you "why are you trading in a new BMW?" Would he buy your reasons? What kind of price do you expect?
    Good luck! and keep us posted.
  • veekay1veekay1 Member Posts: 180
    denright:
    When u spoke to ur dealer again today, what delivery date did he tell u? Still June or is it maybe July now?
  • alpine325ialpine325i Member Posts: 209
    Congratulations on picking up your new car! When I picked up my car, it had the license plate frame on the front too. I bought a European plate frame and had a custom German European plate made for the frame that is the same style as the 3 series brochure. You can also order a straight strip that snaps right in just like the frame that you have on there now. It's called a Front Bumper Trim Part #16. The European plate frame is a #14. They are both around $12 to $15 depending on the dealer. The HK stereo takes about 40 to 50 hours of playing time to really break in nice. When it breaks in you will notice it sounding lower, louder, and sweeter with less harshness and more punch, instead of just boom and sizzle. To experience more bass from the system, play your music with the front door windows down and the rear windows up. You will notice less bass with all of the windows up or all of them down. I make custom speaker cabinets for guitar and bass (www.raezersedge.com) and I notice that all new speakers sound stiff and a bit harsh right out of the box. To warm them up for our customers, we put them on a tone generator @10HZ for a constant 24 to 48 hours depending on the type of speaker. Makes a big difference in the sound and makes a great first impression at the music stores when people go to try one of our cabinets out. Many amplifier companies do this but only a few speaker companies do. Enough of my sermon, Have fun with your new Car! :o)
  • ds2k1ds2k1 Member Posts: 101
    This post has nothing to do with BMW, but I just had such a moving experience that I felt compelled to share it with other car aficionados. A co-worker has a replica of a '67 (I think) 427 AC Cobra and brought it to the office for the first time today. This car weighs in at 2100 pounds, produces 490 hp, 456 pound/feet of torque, all tested on the dyno. He's had it timed on the dragstrip at 0-60 in 3.6 seconds. I just took a ride in it. Without any fear of exaggeration whatsoever, I can say without any doubt that this was a life-altering experience. Sure, I've read dozens of articles about the latest and greatest supercar capable of near-4.0 0-60 times and thought, "Damn, that's one fast car." But I'd never actually had the opportunity to ride in one. Now that I have, I'm frankly stunned. I had no idea what the reality was like. Simply put, I didn't realize it was possible for a car to move that fast. This thing would tear the huge 275 wide tires loose with a touch of the gas at 80 mph!! It was exhilarating, terrifying, and produced the most profound giddy laugh in me. Until you've actually been in one of these cars, YOU HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA WHAT IT'S LIKE OR WHAT TO EXPECT. I recommend it highly, but don't forget the spare set of shorts. I'm still shaking.
  • postoakpostoak Member Posts: 537
    Braveheart1 quarter. Lucky guy! :-)
    "Exhilarating, terrifying, and the most profound giddy laugh" Yep! Thats it! I've been in these cars at full blast also. I've owned a few of these fast cars, but the fastest I had was 425 HP. Once you pass the 470 to 490 HP range it does get quite silly. I also like the feeling of being slammed into and almost through your seat, and feeling a bit heavy like an astronaut! Taking a ride as a passenger is great because it suprises the hell out of you, like a little kid on a wild roller coaster, super adrenaline rush!. You will never forget this experience, I'm glad you had it, the loud roar of that engine, the twisting body of the car from massive torque, and the blurred vision of the dash board in front of you while the adrenaline shoots up through your back. When I was 18 I became quickly addicted to these type of cars and had lost my license twice for racing anybody and everybody. It was like a drug and a real ego trip to have one of the fastest cars around! Thanks for sharing that awesome experience!:o)
    Yes, The calm before the post.
    You had me second guessing my previous post. However, I just checked the placard inside the driver side door and the information reads: "GVWR 4552 lbs", GVW front 2183 lbs and GVW rear 2369 lbs. Thats a 48% front and 52% rear ratio. I don't think I am misunderstanding the numbers, and I was under the impression that this was a lighter car before I saw the placard. Maybe I will get it weighed at the truck stop to put aside all doubt!

Alpine: Thanks for your comments...I have followed your previous posts regarding the euro plates and holders...I have them bookmarked. I have to look at the mount currently on the car...I am assuming that the lower screws are drilled through the body color bumper. If thats the case I don't think that the euro plate will cover them. I will check though. Regarding the sound system, if it gets better I will be ecstatic. It sounds great now!

FWIW, I just went out to check out the interior lighting now that its dark...WOW! There is and incredible reddish orange "aura" cast over the controls...the premium package is worth it if that is what was included in the lightin upgrade!

Anyone with a recent 325/30xi with any comment on the GVWR thing?
  • euro325euro325 Member Posts: 3
    I am new to the board and have enjoyed the discussions here.

Just ordered a 325i for euro delivery and will pick up on 6/18 in Munich. Can't wait.

Got Titanium silver, premium, HK, but after hearing some discussion about how silver does not take well to heat am a bit concerned.

Anyone have experience with how silver survives over the long term. Never had silver and thought it would be a nice change.

Also, many new cars have built in infrared absorption to cut down on heat, does BMW have any or is tinting advised in the hot southwest?
  • gurumikegurumike Member Posts: 442
    Hi. The GVWR is the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating, it's the certified maximum curb weight. The empty weight is, in fact, as the other guy posted, 3241 or 3494 in ix guise. Any other BMW or general questions anyone needs answering right now?
  • firsthawkfirsthawk Member Posts: 10
    After reading all these posts about how good the HK sound system is I wish I had ordered it. My current 323is has it and it really was not that good and hence i didnt order it. I thought I would install my own amp+sub.

I guess BMW must have done a really good job since 98...
    I agree, I think the HK is a very good upgrade for $675. Since you didn't order it, I would recommend checking out MB Quart's BMW sound sets that are made specifically for the 3 series. These fit in the stock 5.25" front door locations. Add one 2 channel amp with at least 50 watts per channel and you will have an amazing system for your "front stage". Then add a subwoofer with an amp that will put out at least 100 watts of continuous power. The total cost for this system uninstalled is around $1200 and sounds amazing. MB Quart is serious high end stuff, but my philosophy is "Do it once, Do it right" :o)
    VeeKay- Dealer said we are still on track for late June delivery. I hope he's right, because I want to take the new Bimmer on vacation for the 4th of July. (I know, it might appear a little unpatriotic, driving a German car on Independence Day... LOL).

Cambellum - I test drove the 325xi and I was frankly unimpressed with the acceleration. An Audi A4 1.8T was far quicker off the line, even in rainy conditions. Your point that your '99 Jetta was faster than your new 325xi doesn't surprise me, but I would be sorely dissapointed if I was in your shoes.

My dissatisfaction with the 325xi's acceleration prompted me to test drive the 330xi. There was a remarkable difference in power off the line and in highway acceleration.

I wrestled with the dilemma. I simply didn't get fired up by the Audis and I am particularly put-off by the fact that the A4 is due for a redesign in the next year or two, immediately dating the 2001 model. At the same time, I had a hard time justifying to myself (not to mention my wife) the $40K+ price tag that I assumed the 330xi would carry.

I tinkered with the options profiles and got offered a very good $1500 over-invoice price (including mats), and ended up ordering a 330xi with premium package, cold weather package, premium sound system and in-dash cd. Including the Maryland $200 advertising fee, this resulted in a final price of $39,050 -- a number I could live with. This price is only about $4,000 more than I was going to spend on the 325xi I had in mind (because I would have gotten the AWD sport package with the 325xi, whereas I passed on it with the 330xi).

Then yesterday I read a review of the S4 Quattro vs. the 330xi. It gave the edge to the gutsier S4.

After doing some research, I now realize that I could have had a comparably equipped, 250 HP S4 Quattro for only $900 more than the 330xi. This gives me some pause, but in the end, the imminent re-design of the A4/S4 line would have killed that option for me.

In retrospect, selecting the 330xi was a slippery slope, sliding up in price from the A4 to the 325 to the 330, but I never quite made it to the S4. However, the thrill of the 330xi's performance and the intangibles of driving and owning a BMW have me hopeful that I will be pleased with my decision for years to come.
    gurumike,

Thanks for the clarification on the GVWR...keep lurking as there are many unanswered quesions on this board!

denright,

Although my Jetta was seemd quicker, the 325xi has not disappointed me (yet). I found myself in the same dillema as you...I liked the extra power of the 330xi on paper but didn't want to go into the mid-40's range for a car before tax! Instead of the extras horseys, I absolutely wanted the all wheel drive, so it was the 325xi. My Mom drives an Audi A4 2.8L quattro and the 325 is similar in performance, but Oh the difference in the interiors...I am still grinning from my acquistion yesterday!

Looks like rain today...not good for you performance fans out there, but a perfect opportunity to test the new drive system!
    I hear you regarding the AWD being a must for me. I just don't like the idea of driving a RWD car in snow and ice. Call me a wuss, I don't care! Hahahaha. I really don't mind the slight increase in 0-60 time from the 330i (6.4 seconds) to the 330xi (6.9) because I feel much more secure on corners and in weather.

The 325xi that I test drove was a really nice car. I am sure you will be thrilled with yours. Mind if I ask how you got it equipped and what you paid for it?
  • gr8st8gr8st8 Member Posts: 33
    Congratulations on your purchase of the 330xi.
    Did you order it with a manual or automatic tranny?

Regarding 0-60 times, here's another interesting found, in Motor Trend's current edition(June 2001), they claim that the 0-60 time for a 330i manual is 6.1 secs and the time for a 330xi manual is 5.8 secs! These can be found on page 140 under road test results. Personally, I think the number for the xi might've been a typo as that was the first time I've seen an Xi quoted as being faster than a 330i manual, let alone being under 6 seconds!

BTW, in the same magazine, they also feature a modified 330ci called BMW Hartge H50 V8, which produces 400 hp @ 6600 and 369 lbs of torque @ 3800 and jets from 0-60 in 4.87 secs! Now I'm not so sure anymore about which is my dream car....:)
  • roc50mgroc50mg Member Posts: 102
    I just placed an order for the 330xi black/black, manual, premium, sport, cold weather, in-dash CD, and xenon. Sound like a hot car? I can't wait to get it! I placed the order with a dealer in NY. The price I got is $ 2000 above invoice, which is $39,560 plus tax, registration and plates.

I too had a hard time deciding between the Audi S4 and the 330xi because they were both just about equal in price and performance. On paper the Audi seems like a better car, but for the name, looks, and the statement that owning a bimmer makes, I had to choose the BMW.

It's just too bad that waiting for the car for the next 2 to 3 months will be sheer torture.

One question I had was trying to decide about getting the manual vs. auto. Anyone out there have any opinions on which is better?
    I chose the manual because I've never had a stick shift car before and I thought it's about time I learned. Is driving a stick on BMW tricky?

Let me know everyone!

Last question: how long of a wait do I face to get my car? Order was placed on May 3.
  • merckxmerckx Member Posts: 565
    I just bought my first ever stick last month-a 2001 Passat.After loving cars so much my whole life,I thought it about time i at least get it out of my system.The first 700 miles have been sheer bliss.
    I took several test drives of different BMWs-I gave serious thought to a 525.
    I can only conclude that the clutch/shift experience is extremely subjective.I say this because i've read a few negative posts about manual BMWs.My own personal experience is that both clutch and shift feel on Bimmers is truly excellent.In fact,it is just about my favorite part of driving a BMW.So I think you made a wise choice in getting the 5spd.,roc.And if a year of so down the road you decide you want to go back to automatics,the fact that the 3series surely has one of the highest percentages of manuals should mean the resale value will not be hurt too much.
    Enjoy your car-you will find you car is particullary easy to master shifting with.t
    Of course I went with the manual. It's the only way to drive for people who really like to move, especially in traffic where you have to be able to downshift for immediate powerboosts in passing/merging situations.

In fact, one of the main reasons I went with the BMW is because it is one of the few sedans available in the United States with 200+ HP and a manual transmission. If you want a high performance manual transmission sedan in the US, your choices under $50K are pretty much limited to BMWs, Audis, Acuras and the Nissan Maxima.

Roc50, sounds like you made the right decision to go with the manual transmission. While the BMW manual is somewhat stiff and demanding in terms of shifting precision, it is well worth it. A manual transmission is the only way to get the full impact of a car like a 330xi.

Also, Roc50, I had a hard time deciding whether or not to go with the 330xi's AWD Sport Package. I decided not to because the sport seats didn't seem to me to be much of an upgrade in practical terms, and the remainder of the package's elements were cosmetic rather than performance oriented. In fact, my wife and I both decided we preferred the normal 3-series facia to the "M" facia. What were your thoughts on all this?
  • euro325euro325 Member Posts: 3
    Having always drived a stick, the choice was clear when I selected the 5 spd for my BMW.

Presently I drive a 14 yr old Camry with stick, and to this date I can get the speed and acceleration I need, even with the 4 cyl engine.

With an auto, this car would be no fun to drive.

Get a stick and you will enjoy it.
    Okay guys, now this is just my opinion, but there a few points I'd like to share on the "thou shalt drive a stick BMW" debate. Firstly, I'll point out that I've only had stick BMW's (and most all my others) but I do think that the Step is a perfectly decent alternative for many people. Not so long ago when the auto was an old school 4 speed with basic automatic shift style, I would only suggest an auto for folks living in busy cities where a stick would be frustrating. But with the 5 speed STEP, one now has similar control over the vehicle as one has with a stick. It really bridges the gap for many people between what they want the stick for and (if you live in NYC) the real world driving situation.
    On the topic of zero to sixty, different methods are used when identifying that number. The manufacturers usually do a more "sensible" start while Motor Trend etc will get the RPMs up to 5-6k and dump the clutch. As long as you compare results from the same source, they should be some what valid for comparisons (although it's worth remembering that some cars with quick acceleration need to be rev'd to the red-line for any decent performance while others have strong acceleration with-out looking like one of the local boy racer crew.
    My 328i is my ninth consecutive car with a manual transmission (the eighth that was new). Even though I live in the NYC metro area, I still cannot bring my self to learn to drive an automatic ;-). Admittedly, at some point CVT's and the like will surpass the manual for complete flexibility, even then, I may still buy cars which are manual equipped.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Okay guys, now this is just my opinion, but there a few points I'd like to share on the "thou shalt drive a stick BMW" debate. Firstly, I'll point out that I've only had stick BMW's (and most all my others) but I do think that the Step is a perfectly decent alternative for many people. Not so long ago when the auto was an old school 4 speed with basic automatic shift style, I would only suggest an auto for folks living in busy cities where a stick would be frustrating. But with the 5 speed STEP, one now has similar control over the vehicle as one has with a stick. It really bridges the gap for many people between what they want the stick for and (if you live in NYC) the real world driving situation.
    On the topic of zero to sixty, different methods are used when identifying that number. The manufacturers usually do a more "sensible" start while Motor Trend etc will get the RPMs up to 5-6k and dump the clutch. As long as you compare results from the same source, they should be some what valid for comparisons (although it's worth remembering that some cars with quick acceleration need to be rev'd to the red-line for any decent performance while others have strong acceleration with-out looking like one of the local boy racer crew.
    I have the 325xi in titanium silver, manual, PP, SP, CWP, HK sound, leather, xenons, 6-CD and dash CD, 4th year maintenance, and I think thats all.

Price was $37,680 or just over $1000 off MSRP with the 4th year of maintenance. Did not opt for the alarm system...if someone is going to take the car without having the key, they will take it with or without the alarm too!

These cars are very much coming at a premium here eastern PA and N. Jersey. The dealer told me that he never even was issued any xi mMarch allocations. The last one he had was sold to a person from the Boston area...there are apparently none to be had in New England.
    Unusually perhaps, but AWD is not allocated to dealers like a separate model. Rather, AWD is ordered as an option (it's option code 203) like an automatic. It used to be that BMW NA allocated all 3 and 5 series by which engine AND transmission they had but even that's an option now. So a dealer could order every single car as an xi stick shift! 5 series is still allocated with transmission (about 1 stick for every 20 autos, or something like that).
  • lrawles2lrawles2 Member Posts: 16
    I am about to buy my first BMW. I live in S. Cal. -- no snow and little rain. I am interested to hear from people who live in similar climates and who chose or are chosing to buy the 325xi or 330xi over the i. What is factoring into that decision? Anybody who has had a BMW in the past and is moving to an xi, I would especially like to hear from. Thanks in advance.
  • roc50mgroc50mg Member Posts: 102
    Thanks to all that have replied to my stick v. auto question. The reason I asked was because I do live in NYC where just about every major highway is undergoing crazy construction projects forever and traffic is omnipresent. Luckily, however, there aren't many hills in the area, or else I'd be in deep ****. I will just have to wait until I take delivery of my car to find out whether it was the right choice or not. At least though, no matter what, I will never have to fantasize again about driving a sporty car with a stick.

Denright: I chose to include the sport package because for a proper feel for driving a zesty car that I will be taking sharp turns with every chance I get, I need the additional side support that the sports package seats provide. The steering wheel is also more sporty looking and less sedan like than in the non sport package. BTW, does anyone know if the sports package seat is motorized or manually adjusted?
    On the matter of alloy wheels with the sport package, it was more of a toss up though. Neither the regular or sports package wheels on the 330xi is particularly aggressive looking. The bolted double spoke composite (Style 71)wheel from the bmwusa site looks much better to me.
    What I don't understand about the sport package on the 330xi is what exactly you get for the "M aerodynamic package." You don't get a rear apron/deck spoiler with this do you?

Finally, does anyone have any opinions on the 330 xi v. Audi S4? My close friend will be buying an S4, but until we both get our cars and do a side by side comparison I won't know which car is truly the best. Is the Audi S4 a better perfomance value? Or is the 330xi just plain better looking and that's all that matters?
    Unusually perhaps, but AWD is not allocated to dealers like a separate model. Rather, AWD is ordered as an option (it's option code 203) like an automatic. It used to be that BMW NA allocated all 3 and 5 series by which engine AND transmission they had but even that's an option now. So a dealer could order every single car as an xi stick shift! 5 series is still allocated with transmission (about 1 stick for every 20 autos, or something like that).
  • waileawailea Member Posts: 22
    Wanted to let you all know it seems as though I am one of the "fortunate" few that has the faulty fan. Thanks to this board, I have been keeping a watchful eye on the temp gauge.

I was out late this morning waiting in line at a drive thru and noticed after I paid the temp gauge was no longer dead center, but, rather creeping ever so slowly to the red zone. I ended up going 40mph and that brought the temp down to dead center.

I decided to run a quick experiment in the parking lot. I left the car running with the AC on; maybe 2-3 minutes. Popped the hood and looked to see if the Aux fan would kick in - No Luck! - and the temp gauge was once again on the move to the left. I made it home called the dealer and they suggested I check fuse #37 (electric fan) to see if it was faulty. Looked to be good shape - so I will not take any more chances and take the care into the dealer Monday morning - AFTER rush hour of course - and have them replace it.

Here are the stats on my car:
    325i , March 1st production vehicle with 1300 miles on it.

Let me know if I am missing something here regarding my experiment and this overheating issue.

Thanks
    Better looking is in the eye..... Regardless of 0-60 data, the S4 does feel more than a little quicker than the 3. Having said that the fact of the matter is that the 3 is so quick that the fact that one is slightly quicker is neither here nor there. I picked my 330i sedan (2WD) over the S4 principally because of the (subjectively) better handling feel. Either car would be a joy to live with. But The BMW car just hits all the right spots. ;)
  • muddddmudddd Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the info on your Auxiallary fan problems. I too have a March 01 build 325i with 660 miles on it and have not yet had temp problems. I've been expecting them though after reading lots of posts here and on bimmer.org describing this problem. I suspect sometime in the near future we should here something from BMWNA if this problem is as widespread as it seems.

Keep us posted as to how the repairs go.
  • add123add123 Member Posts: 28
    I just spoke with my sales person and was advised that my production date was bumped up from week 22 to week 19. It should arrive about a three to four weeks ahead of schedule.
    add123
  • kv007kv007 Member Posts: 30
    i don't drive stick but ordered a 330xi w/stick, i too thought it was about time i learned. a friend of mine has a 323 stick and has been teaching me - i'm finding the bmw stick very easy actually -- those hills are still killing me, but the clutch action and shifter are very crisp and easy to work. tons of fun.

my car is orient blue/black lthr, roof, sp, xenon, nav - paid about $1500 over invoice + $200 MACO, in the philly area. i left off the premium because i wanted the brushed aluminum trim. the sport seats are still power - the one i test drove had it so i'm pretty sure. the bigger question that no one can seem to answer is whether the 330xi has the sport suspension. they made this standard on 330s after mar 1 production, but not sure if that includes the xis. Anyone know?

also, is the front armrest std. on these cars?

the s4 is an awesome car!! my dad has an a6 2.7t with the same engine as the s4 (borrowed it for a few weeks when my beloved '89 maxima the "four-door sports car" was in the shop) and i LOVE the a6 -- too big for me, but incredible nonetheless. but i thought the s4 was not as refined as the 330 (or the a6 for that matter) and ultimately went with the bmw. don't think you can really go wrong with either though.

there are those people who like the bmw because it makes a "statement," i think i like the audi in some ways because it doesn't.

keep me posted on your stick shift adventures.
  • kv007kv007 Member Posts: 30
    i called bmwna yesterday and asked about the steering situation and the rep told me that the xi steering is not affected by any of the changes or retrofits.

is there anyone out there with an xi that has issues with the steering? i test-drove and ordered an xi and thought the sterring was a tad light. don't think i ever drove a 330 with the light steering though so i don't really have a reference point.
  • unboringuyunboringuy Member Posts: 90
    As you may know, I had the overheating problem, resulting in my radiator overheating, a ruptured overflow reservoir, and coolant leaking. My dealer took the car back three weeks ago and gave me a refund. The only problem I am having now is that the reorder of a new vehicle was given a week 23 build, and the car is not expected to arrive at the dealer until early July! So for those of you who are facing your FIRST wait for your car, think about how frustrating it is to do it twice!

At least the dealer was good enough to let me drive a 1999 323i as a loaner until the car arrives.

Regarding the debate between manual and automatic transmission. The car I ordered is a manual, and the loaner is an automatic. NO CONTEST! The manual is pure heaven. I have driven sticks for years, and the BMW 330 is unbelievable!