Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 3-Series 2005 and earlier

Comments

• erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    From the Bentley manual:

To reset the indicator:
    -The car should be off
    -hold down the left instrument button (the trip odometer reset)
    -while holding the key, turn the ignition to position 1 (radio)
    -you will see a test menu
    -keep holding the button
    -after maybe 10 seconds, the word "reset" will appear
    -let go of the button and press again
    -The indicator is reset!

-Paul (who had it bookmarked) :D
  • squirtdadsquirtdad Member Posts: 22
    I've been told by a friendly bmw fanatic that the BMW leather is nice, but the leathette is excpetional and most people will be completely happy with leatherette.

Pro's and con's ?
  • jfedor1jfedor1 Member Posts: 39
    I have had the Axxis Deluxe Plus, and they have been great. No differnce in braking and little to no dust.

Josh
  • nmrtnmrt Member Posts: 56
    I know a guy who has a 2005 330i zhp with manual who's thinking about making his car a general lee, organge paint and all. Does anyone else think that this is sacrilege? ;)
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    I liked leatherette until I got gray leather. I'll stick with that from now on. Not a fan of the ette's hotness and it only looks decent in black.
    That's funny. Silly but funny.
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Sacrilege!

Tell him that Dodge is just about to re-release the Charger, and that that would be a much better choice for the General Lee treatment.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • heg32heg32 Member Posts: 10
    1. I have new 330 with leatherette. 20 people have been in my car and 20 have not noticed the difference.
    2. Every time I have gotten leather interior it has cracked, even if i condition it.
    Don't hesitate, save the cash and get leatherette.
    Of course the flip side of, "Every time I have gotten leather interior it has cracked, even if i condition it." is that I've had leather in every car that I've bought since 1982 and I've never conditioned it, and I've never had it crack either.

Nothing but leather for my butt. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • grantchstrgrantchstr Member Posts: 371
    I am a leather only man - have been for years. However the difficult to get 325xi I just found only came in black leatherette and I have found it to be fine. No problemo.
  • amt7565amt7565 Member Posts: 165
    Is it possible to buy a car with leatherette and then get leather installed from a after market vendor? How much would this cost?

Thanks.
    AMT-
    Most likely under a grand. Better leather too.
  • dl7265dl7265 Member Posts: 1,381
    If your talking E90 and the airbags are in the seats your gonna have problems.It will prob cost you more ,or close. The Trim shop's in Dallas don't love working on cars with seat airbags.If its a E46 go for it.

DL
  • jbuchsjbuchs Member Posts: 4
    I'm thinking of leasing a 2005 325 or 330 Automatic. Does anyone know the residuals on these models. Higher or lower than Acura's.
  • potemkinpotemkin Member Posts: 195
    I'm happy with the 'ette... and the money I saved.

Oh, and I recently got a "thank you" note from a cow.
  • derfoderfo Member Posts: 36
    No Bull???
    If your talking E90 and the airbags are in the seats your gonna have problems.It will prob cost you more ,or close. The Trim shop's in Dallas don't love working on cars with seat airbags.If its a E46 go for it.

DL

Plenty of cars have leather and seat mounted airbags. Some are aftermarket. If BMW can do it, i'm sure the local can do it. Probably better.
    And sign said "eat more Chickin?"

DL :D
    hi. i am actually not sure what exactly the bluetooth compatibitly means in a 325i. is a premium package all you need in a 325i to use your blutooth phone via the car speakers? if yes, then do we control all the phone functions from the steering wheel? how does this work -- i dont have to press any buttons on the phone to take/recieve any calls once its hooked to the car? i ask questions like an idiot, sorry... :blush:
  • kominskykominsky Member Posts: 850
    You guys rock! I took my car into the dealership to have the service reminder reset (which they do for free) expecting them to pull out a Peake reset tool. The mechanic hopped in the car and was done in a minute. I asked him how it was done and he told me they weren't allowed to tell (?!). Anyway, I was just gonna be asking if anyone knew when I saw the above posts. thanks!
  • brave1heartbrave1heart Member Posts: 2,698
    That's odd about the dealer. My dealer showed me how to do it.
    the BMW web site has a tuturial on that same subject. Walks you right thru it better than we could explain.I belive at this time you need BMW assist or premium pack to get bluetooth. It does say some cars can be done after words. What models it doesnot mention.

DL
    thanks. i'll look into bmw's website.
    after looking into the website it seems that bluetooth hand free calling feature is not standard on a 325i. it is a part of the premium package along with bmw assist. but tthe website also says that this blutooth can be installed at a dealer. has anyone done this successfully? since it is so late there are only a few cars in my area that are manual with premium package. perhaps i may have to get a non premium package and install bluetooth later...? :confuse:
  • wstevecwstevec Member Posts: 126
    The last time I owned Leatherette was my 1971 VW, which felt like plastic, which it most likely was. Much to my surpirse, I test drove a 2005 325 with Leatherette and it felt as good if not better than the Leather. Plus the $1450 difference in savings was great too when I ordered my 2006 325xi.
  • webby1webby1 Member Posts: 209
    Shipo,
    Do you know what is the torque for tightening the wheels ?
    I am having the wheels changed by another Garage, (BMW charging $ 50.00 ! )
    I believe it is 75 ft Lbs but not sure.
    Thanks and Regards,
    Webby
    "I believe it is 75 ft Lbs but not sure."

Per the latest BMW manuals, the torque for the wheel studs should be 88.5 lb-ft or 120 nm depending upon how your torque wrench reads (mine actually has both scales on it).

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    88 ft/lb is correct. I can't believe you'll pay anyone money to do it - it only takes 10-15 min for all 4 corners...It will probably take you that long just to load the wheels and tires in the car before you drive off to the shop.
    Thanks Shipo...local BMW dealer is at 95 so I went with 95.

Also, FYI only....I switched back to the Contis ( CV 95 ) for the summer...these came with my 2004 330i and I love the tires. The tires I took off are Pirellis P Nero Zero's which were to harsh for my liking and my steering went from like driving on railroad tracks to very light steering and the car was wondering a bit...I drove the Pirellis for a week and gave them to my son's 320i. Please be cautious when reading Tirerack reviews and ratings...the P Zero is rated at the top for comfort, noise and other and the Conti is rated very average. If I had to rate these tires for comfort and noise level the Pirelli would get a 4 and Conti a 9. The ratings at Tirerack are very biased and I think they are from a lot of people who have limited experience with other tires. I have been driving since 1963 ......I have been through a lot of tires....good ones and bad ones.
    Anyway...my 2 Canadian cents.
    Regards,
    Webby
    You are correct...it is a rip off so I took the cars (I swapped tires with my son) to my Honda dealer and he did it for nothing.
    Regards,
    Webby
  • djocksdjocks Member Posts: 124
    I have a 330i on lease ending in 5 months. My budget is for a 3 series but i am desparately needing more room. Interior quality is very important. Would you consider a bigger sedan like a maxima or maybe buying a used large luxury sedan?
    Depends on what kind of space you need. Leg room, cargo, shoulder room, everything? You should look at the Infiniti G35 sedan - they are bigger inside and are pretty good all-around cars.
  • amt7565amt7565 Member Posts: 165
    I strongly recommend the Infinity G35. Great cars!
  • CrevelsCrevels Member Posts: 37
    Also don't forget that the new 3-series is coming out next month and it's increased in size. It's comparable in size to the old 5 series. If you're only looking for a little more space (leg, shoulder, etc), then you might want to just stay in the 3-series line. Cost shouldn't be much more than what you're paying now and the new 325 is going to have almost as much power as your existing 330.
  • tenet1tenet1 Member Posts: 354
    Well I would just live with the cramped 3er :) No really, there are other cars that are bigger and yet fun to drive, but do you want to give up the fun factor?
  • djocksdjocks Member Posts: 124
    I am definately going to wait until the next 3 comes out and I can go sit in it. I drove a g35 for 2 days. A friend and I swaped and it certainly fulfills some needs. I do believe the Bimmer is more fun but I am going to look heavily at the G35. I am also going to consider the acura TL. I live in the northeast so the front wheel drive is both a curse and a blessing.

believe it or not, I have also given some consideration to the X3. Seems like right now you could load one up nice and get a good deal on a lease. Not to mention, that roof is kick-[non-permissible content removed].

The biggest problem i have is keeping a budget I can live with and my need for a family sedan. i would prefer to stay in the money ranges of the new 325's but it is hard to do when the g35 offers so much for the same price. the 325 i am sure will still drive tighter but there is no questioning the bang for the buck.

I have also looked on line at large lux's. Like used infiniti Q45's and older style M45's, ES 330's and passat W8's. A lot of decisions coming but it will come down to the size of new 3.

I wish i had more space and guts and break down, buy a used accord for work and put a Z4 next to it!

thanks all for allowing me to vent, djocks!
    One thing I really like about the 3-series is that it is the ultimate compromise. Really, it's a great all-around car. Fun to drive on the street and track, practical, comfortable, luxurious, it's everything. Even the E46 has plenty of room in the back for 2 child seats. My wife's only gripe with it has been that it's too low and it's too hard on her back having to lift our son in the back. Luckily, he is old enough now to be able to climb in and out himself. I personally would much rather have just one car that is reasonably good at everything. I spend at least an hour a day in the car and it's some of the best quality time I get on a weekday. There's no way I'd want to spend that one hour each day in a lame SUV or a boring Accord...
    As if you don't have enough options to have to sift through, have you considered the new E90 Estate Wagon? Might be just the ticket for your growing family. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • grantchstrgrantchstr Member Posts: 371
    I just leased a 325xi at a way cheaper deal than the G35.......why pay more?
    Shipo - Please do not spread the word. I am eagerly awaiting it for myself and would hate to see a wait list at the dealers ;)
    Word? What word? ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • eebanaeebana Member Posts: 2
    My wife and I are buying our first BMW. It will be for her. She is interested in a 3 series.

I am trying to convenience her to go the pre-owned route. I don't really see the need for spending 40k on a car- I know it is a BMW. No need to clown me.
    My goal is to keep it sub 30k.

Is that reasonable(pre owned)?

Should we go for a 2005 or even wait for the 2006?

If we do go pre-owned. what is the latest year, model, and miles you would reco?

Please advise.

Thanks....
  • eebanaeebana Member Posts: 2
    My wife and I are buying our first BMW. It will be for her. She is interested in a 3 series.

I am trying to convenience her to go the pre-owned route. I don't really see the need for spending 40k on a car- I know it is a BMW. No need to clown me.
    My goal is to keep it sub 30k.

Is that reasonable(pre owned)?

Should we go for a 2005 or even wait for the 2006?

If we do go pre-owned. what is the latest year, model, and miles you would reco?

Please advise.

Thanks....
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    '05 3-series sedans have big incentives on them right now.. You can buy a new '05 325i for $4500-$5000 off of MSRP or a new '05 330i for $7000 off MSRP..

That might not get it to sub-$30K, but definitely in the $31K-$35K range for a brand new car with full warranty and free maintenance included... Four years of worry free driving...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

If you want to stay under 30k then why even think about the 2006. I agree with kyfdx...the 2005's have great deals on them and since you were ok with pre-owned, now you can have a new one. My friend is looking into one and while we were looking, the dealer offered to make me a "sick deal" on a 330i SP (6-8k off sticker). This is without haggling. Almost bought the darn thing

Now the deals on the 325s are not as good but will easily get you down to 30-31k. Find a dealer who has many 325s in inventory and look for lightly optioned ones, then start negotiating. This should bring you into you price range. Nothing like that new car feel.
  • coby03coby03 Member Posts: 55
    kyfdx,

Couldn't recall the final verdict, are you coming to the Cleveland event this Friday for the "unveiling" of the new 3 sedan? I've finally gone through all my "wheelings and dealings" and am picking up the 330Ci ZHP tomorrow. Now that I'm officially going to be a member of the BMW fraternity, I've decided to attend. Based on my work schedule I can only be at the Noon Rock-n-Roll Hall of Fame unveiling ceremony and then later I'll be down at the reception at the Sheraton at 6:00PM with the wife. I live about 30 miles east of Cleveland so it will be too convenient to pass on the opportunity. You've been such a big help to all on this board, I'd be happy to buy you a drink and show you some Buckeye hospitality. Let me know. Thanks.

Ken
  • jamesspotjamesspot Member Posts: 57
    Wife's age, attitude, willingness to drive stick?
    You should be able to get a good, used 325i for $20k- still under warranty would be a good thing. Lots of them were leased for 3 years.
    A 325i with auto and moonroof is a soft-riding, comfortable small sedan with luxury features and is the ultimate young wife mobile until you need to car pool or have older kids.
    A 325i with stick and sports package is for someone who wants a "practical" sports car with four doors.
    A 330i adds grunt to the motor and a few features at an increased price.
    OBTW - my mid 40's wife "tolerates" my 330i ZHP: too low, too stiff, too small, too fast, too hard braking for her taste. Loves her Toyota minivan: hauls our family and all of our stuff in comfort, equal mileage to the BMW, softer ride and way more room. It's dentist chair or stretching out on the living room couch. She chooses the spring down couch. Our 13 year old son says "In 3 years Dad, you can get a new BMW and I can drive THIS one!" Ha!
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    No, I called and canceled last night..

I was scheduled for the "3 drive" at 0900, and just couldn't justify the 9 hour round trip to drive in a parade, even though I'm off work that day..

Thanks for the offer, though!! Your events sound like more fun than the parade. I've heard the reception is pretty nice.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• albellalbell Member Posts: 185
    I am closing in on my 1 year, smile-filled anniversary of my (leased) 04 325 convertible. As I have only 6000 miles on it, the car is not calling for maintenance, and I cannot seem to find whether the BMW schedule requires it at 1 year regardless of miles or just when the car tells you. Advice?

Thanks.
    The mainentance thing is weird. I've called BMW many times about my car and maintenance even though it still has not requested it. Each time they tell me to call when the car asks for it. Odd, to say the least. I've had the same oil for like 16 months!