Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 3-Series 2005 and earlier

Comments

• harts31nharts31n Member Posts: 1
    buying a 2000 323it wagon 95000miles what sould i look for as far as problems.
  • densmith1densmith1 Member Posts: 9
    I am having issues with my passenger side mirror not keeping its setting. When I unlock the car by pressing the remote button the mirror changes its angle. Is this a problem with the mirror or with the remote? Is there something I am doing wrong? I am driving a 2007 328i sedan and have the mirror switch pushed all the way to the left.
  • kathyc2kathyc2 Member Posts: 159
    Just a guess, but it might have something to do with the driver settings. For example when you get in and adjust it, but don't set it as your driver setting the next time you open it, it thinks you want it to go to the memorized setting and changes on it's own.
  • 8av88av8 Member Posts: 1
    Instead of re-pinning the connector could't you just cut the wires at the harness and splice a 10 gauge to them...ground the 10 ga on the chassis/frame?
  • bemerbemer Member Posts: 20
    My 323i was doing this for years. Switch to "top grade gasoline" and use only 91 octane. I had no check lights come on for last 3,4 years. It could be faulty sensor as well. Good Luck!
  • notmybmwnotmybmw Member Posts: 101
    I suspect you're bang on, Kathy.

Another possibility is that densmith1 and some other driver (with a different key) may both be using the car. I believe two separate keys can be programmed to position the outside mirror to two different settings. (or did I just dream this???)

Michael
  • petecullenzpetecullenz Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 BMW 3 Series Coupe (E46). First thing in the morning when the engine is cold, the engine revs on its own. The rev needle goes up to about 3,000 rpm and then drops to idle. This happens time and time again. If I switch the ignition off and then on again it stops? Does anybody know what is wrong with it? Also, when I come to a stop, regardless weather I put the foot or handbrake on, the ASC light flashes as I pull away again and the rear right wheel seems to stck as if the brake is still on for a moment...! Very frustrating...!

:sick:
  • wolrag42wolrag42 Member Posts: 2
    I lost my 21 yr old son July 2009 when he fell asleep in our 2002 BMW 330 with the engine running. The car caught fire after idling for one hour. Investigation showed cooling fan failure. I read that 2001 3-series had same problem with massive recall. Anyone heard of same problems with 2002 cars? BMW refusing at accepting any blame or taking corrective actions. Do not want this to happen to any other family! Any suggestions?
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    Oh my god. I'm deeply sorry for you loss. You might want to try bimmerfest. If there is something going on, there'll be a thread about it over there.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• pylt1pylt1 Member Posts: 12
    I'm sorry about your terrible loss.

You'll want to contact the NHTSA to report this fire--and stay on them to follow up as they tend to be questionably competent, at best.

Here's their website:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm

Also, did your car have a manual transmission or an automatic? The reason I ask is that the manual cars had only a single, electric fan while the automatics had a mechanical and electric fan.

Thank you for helping to protect others by taking action. You may also wish to start a web site and post the reports findings there as well--that would be very helpful to all.
  • pylt1pylt1 Member Posts: 12
    Unfortunately, no.

After years of overheating the connector wiring is severely damaged and all the connectors require replacement. Replacing the grounding wire with a larger wire is helpful and needed, but doesn't solve the supply side of the problem as those wires are damaged too.

BMW needs to step up and do a recall on this; shame on them for shirking their moral and legal responsibilities.
  • wolrag42wolrag42 Member Posts: 2
    car had automatic transmission. Will try to followup with reports as insurance company and BMW are fighting over details (BMW won't acknowledge ANY responsilbility for the fire even though their 2001 cars all had SAME problem)
  • relang40relang40 Member Posts: 1
    Just purchased a 03 330ci. Its a joy to drive. Just wondering about what maintenance I should be concerned with. Noticed viewing forum about Scheduled Maintenance I and II. Can anyone explain what I can expect.
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    Also need to make sure your mirror adjustor switch is in the proper position. if it isn't set to passenger side (IIRC), it won't go down when backing up.

-Paul
  • kominskykominsky Member Posts: 850
    Your owners manual should have the maintenance schedule in it.

If you don't have the manual, this chart (pg 4) should give you some idea of what's involved...

https://www.bavauto.com/newsletter/2008_n108_newsletter.pdf
  • roger48roger48 Member Posts: 5
    Hello, I am new to this forum. Has anyone heard any latest news on E46 cracking chassis problem? Appreciate any response.
  • bokkiesbokkies Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2010
    My 2003 320D switches on, but if you turn the key to position 3 the starter does not turn...nothing happens. After about 45 min suddenly it starts, running for 1 to 2 days. Then the same thing over. 45 to 1 hour waiting in town and then it starts again. Can year the feul pump running when i switch it on. No alarm lights on. Took it to a repair shop, pluged in the computer and only 1 fault....Key 1 faulty. Tryed Key 2 and does the same. Please help....despirate.
  • gooddeals1gooddeals1 Member Posts: 3
    I am looking for a 3 series coupe (not convertible) with navigation and comfort access. What is this car selling for and what is Residual and Money Factor for 36 mo. lease 12K miles?? and if I put 3K down what should I expect a good monthly payment would be?
  • jimbresjimbres Member Posts: 2,025
    What year do you have in mind? You're posting in a thread devoted to 3-series BMWs built prior to 2006, so presumably you're looking for a used car that's at least 5 years old.

As a rule, it doesn't pay to lease used cars. You're better off buying them.
  • roger48roger48 Member Posts: 5
    How do I get rid of the musty odor from the air vents. Thanks in advance.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    There are a few guides in our Guides section, with several ideas:
    http://www.carspace.com/guides/
    They're under the "interiors" banner, or you can do a search on "odor."

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    In addition to kirstie's excellent guide, I've also had good luck by removing the cabin air filter, (NOT the engine air filter--LOL!) and squirting some OZIUM (an air purifier found at most hardware stores) in the cabin filter receptable, which will eventually lead to the AC evaorator, then replacing the filter with a new one. A quick squirt in the interior AC vents might be okay, too.
  • robs_placerobs_place Member Posts: 24
    When I look under the hood of my 2003 E46, I notice that the engine cover is off to the left and slanted.
    Does this mean that the engine slanted or is it straight up and down, thus the "straight six" denomination?
    I've been looking through countless engine diagrams and I still can't tell.
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Regardless of whether the engine is "Slanted" (BMW engines are not) or vertical, all of the cylinders are in a straight line and as such, the engine is considered a "Straight-6".

Best regards,
    Shipo
  • robs_placerobs_place Member Posts: 24
    Thanks for educating me.
    Now I know that a slant-6 IS a straight-6, as opposed to a V6.
    Yup. :)

For some of us older members the term "Slant-6" is synonymous with Chrysler's old 198 and 225 Slant-6 engines. I had the 225 version of the engine in my 1966 Plymouth Valiant 200; said engine was designated "on life support" at ~110,000 miles by the mechanic of the family I bought the car from. I didn't believe a word of it and bought the car for a whopping $250. Funny thing, when the car had ~215,000 miles on the clock it was sitting in front of the home of a friend when a high-speed chase went through the neighborhood; the perp hit the front of the car and the first police car chasing him finished the job by hitting the rear. Had the car not been completely destroyed my bet is that that motor would have run for another couple of hundred thousand miles. :)

Best regards,
    Shipo
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    Do you remember how they used to have contests at some car shows where guys would bring a few beaters, put bricks on the accelerator pedals, and see which old heap would last the longest? I remember reading about one contest where a slant six acted like the Energizer Bunny- they had to drain the oil and the radiator before it finally seized.
    And once it cooled down it fired up again...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

I'm surprised the other contestants didn't immediately appeal to the judges to have the guy with the Slant-Six stripped of his title for cheating. :P
  • spb3spb3 Member Posts: 5
    Does anyone know how to check the oil level on the dipstick for a 97 BMW 328i! Where is low on oil on the dipstick?
    edited August 2010
    There will be a pair of notches on the dipstick. The safe zone is anywhere between those two notches:

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

Thank you very much!!!
    Do you happen to know if the "Check Engine" light will come on (mine is) if the oil is low?

Thanks again for all your help.
    I have a 97 BMW 328i. If my oil gets low will that trigger the "Check Engine" light. I have a color coded bar on the dash that works fine but this light has suddenly come on. The car is running fine. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    I don't believe your car has an oil level sensor. The Check Engine light is almost certainly indicating a problem in the emissions system of the car. It could be something as simple as a loose fuel cap. If you take your car to Autozone they will read the codes for free. If you do that let me know what codes were triggered and I can give you a better idea of what the problem could be.

How many miles can I expect to get out of a 1997 BMW 328i with 160,000 miles in mint condition running great and a service the vehicle on a regular basis.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Completely unpredictable IMO at that mileage. Statistically (you know, like the average human lifespan), for modern cars it's about 175K. Some live older, some drop dead on the way to work.

Might be an okay buy if you don't pay too much--no more than you can afford to lose in an afternoon. Maybe $2500 to $3000 tops?

The problem with high mileage German used cars is that they aren't cheap to fix, unless you have all those skills and tools. So you end up putting so much money into it that you'd have been better off buying a newer car with fewer miles in the long run.

Good luck.

Visiting Host
    edited August 2010
    With a stick I'd say 200,000-250,000 miles easy. Perform an oil change every 7,500 miles(Mobil 1 0W-40 or 5W-40 and BMW filter), fresh BMW brand coolant every 2-3 years, transmission and diff oil every 50K, and brake fluid(DOT4) every two years. The 1997 328i had most of the bugs worked out by then; there might be some issues with the heating/air conditioning control panels, but instructions for inexpensively fixing them are available online. Some suspension bushings will also need attention, but the parts and labor shouldn't be too bad. I have 121,000 miles on my 1995 318ti and all I've needed to replace were the brakes, a brake light switch(a whole $15 at the dealer!), the engine drive belts and idler pulleys, and a thermostat. That's it. It looks and runs at least as good as new- as you can see here.

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    I never knew you did your own long term write up on your clubsport. I've never seen pics of it either (after all these years). You car looks INCREDIBLE! It is beyond cool. Great write up too (I'd expect nothing less).

All of the comments are great too. That one guy has 300K on his! WOW!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

Thanks. Yep, those M42 motors seem to run forever...

• fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    I wanna see...

Can you send me a link?
    Here you go!

• fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    Thanks. Great write up and pictures of a special car!
  • reemoreemo Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2004 330Ci with 52,000 miles. No previous engine issues. Over the last 2 weeks I found it nesc to crank the engine 2 - 5 times before it would start in the morning. Once it started, it was fine for the rest of the day. So I figured it was water frozen in the fuel line. Here in PA, the temp has been in the 20s every night. I assumed it would work it's way out - WRONG!
    Two days ago it would not start, and yesterday - same thing even with temp at 36'. It cranks all you want - but no start. The dealer told me the fuel pump is bad, $800 installed. I agreed to add a fuel filter and 2 belts for a whopping $1200! Drove it home last night and it was fine.
    Today I have the same problem, cranks but won't start. So here I am again, waiting for a AAA tow to the dealer. Stay tuned for further updates ….
    The dealer said the fuel pump (that they just put in yesterday) is defective. They said they even took it out and tested it on the bench and it didin't pump. So they installed a new one. I'll be holding my breathe for the next few mornings, as it will be Monday before I could get work done at the dealer again.
  • btomdbobtomdbo Member Posts: 1
    I just bout a 2002 BMW 330xi yesterday. went to go to the grocery store this morning and it wouldn't start. Like yours, it turns over and everything else seems normal but it just doesn't fire up. I saw your post and was wondering if your second fuel pump took care of the problem or if their was something else wrong.
    btomdbo,

I actually was towed to the dealer 3 times for this same issue. When I got home after pump #2 was installed, the next day it wouldn't start. Same symptoms as before. This time the dealer said they couldn't find any problems - it started fine for them. They kept it (with my blessing) for about 4 days, thus they were able to test it in the morning after it sat all night. It never failed for them. They drained the fuel tank and gave it back to me and I haven't had a problem since.

But the fact remains: we were never able to ID why it didn't start for me that day ... I still think there is a bug or something else.

Hope this helps and good luck!
    Check the main relay.

roadburner,

Can you be more specific, please? I am not a mechanic, where exactly is it located? Is there a name I can use to order this relay, or is the official name "Main Relay"? It may well be that this relay is intermittent in my 330ci, and if it is not too expensive, I'll just replace it.
    Thanks,
    reemo
    edited March 2011
    I misspoke; you need to check the fuel pump relay. It's behind the glovebox as can be seen here. Swap the horn relay for the fuel pump relay(they are the same part) and see what happens. If the relay is bad a new one will cost less than $20. You may also find this thread to be helpful.

• sunilbsunilb Member Posts: 407
    find a good local BMW mechanic... they may be more helpful than the dealership.