Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 3-Series 2005 and earlier

Comments

• footprintsfootprints Member Posts: 28
    Either mid or late February I will have a "NEW BMW". That will bring shear exuberance from both family and close friends who have been pleading with me to let my 84 Celica rest!

I have finalized the deal with a dealer that was straightforward, willing to negotiate with no extra charges added towards the OTD price! I figured that it would have been great to obtain it at cost! I am not able to wait nor do I wish to wait until year’s end. This dealer replied to my ending price and was willing to negotiated a way better deal that any of the two dealers I went to or the other five I emailed or spoke with.

Will follow up when the beauty arrives!!
  • mmcbride1mmcbride1 Member Posts: 861
    I'm facing the same dilemma you did (325i vs. A4 vs. IS300, all manuals, this summer). I know the Bimmer is the car I want, but I'm not convinced I want to spend the extra $. I'm thinking of going used instead of new just to have the roundel on the hood.
  • markjennmarkjenn Member Posts: 1,142
    Either are great choices.

The advantages to the 325 are that it is a fresher design (the A4 replacement has just been annouced), probably handles a bit better at the limit (especially if you are comparing a FWD A4 vs. a RWD 325), shifts noticeably better (the A4 shifter has been called "rubbery" by most testers), and the I6 in the BMW is a smoother and nicer engine than either the 1.8T four or the V6. Most folks also prefer then BMW interior, but many like the A4 better. In most trims, the A4 ends up with a small price advantage, especially if you like the turbo.

I'd rate reliabilty a toss up.

It is really pretty close between these cars. C&D just had a comparo and the 325 nosed out the A4, but it was very close. If I was going AWD, then I'd get the A4. If I wanted a very fast car, then I'd get the S4 over the 330i. But otherwise, I'd get the 325i, especially if you are the type that would enjoy BMWs excellent sport package.

- Mark
  • bmwdocbmwdoc Member Posts: 3
    I posted a few days ago (#386) regarding choice of options, specifically the value/quality of the Harmon Karmon stereo upgrade and the Xenon light package/fog light package. Any one with any opinions?
  • kronbonekronbone Member Posts: 2
    Reubencahn, thanks for your opinion on red leather back on #338 back on Dec 06. That was very helpful, and just the kind of info I need.
  • gwbmwgwbmw Member Posts: 2
    Any idea where I can find an after market alarm for 330i? My dealer is asking roughly $600 (includes installation). Seems pricey to me. Any better deals out there? I live in San Diego, CA.
  • dhanleydhanley Member Posts: 1,531
    I'd advise you to get the real BMW alarm, not an aftermarket one. It's a good system, well integrated to the car, and appears to be high quality.

I got mone for $279 mail order from pacific BMW, and i installed it myself in about 1.5 hours.

dave
  • bigregbigreg Member Posts: 1
    I am considering buying a new Acura CL Coupe, a '99 BMW 3- Series, or a new Infiniti G20. I truly want the Bimmer, but should I pay so much for a used car with less standard features than a nice new Acura or Infiniti? My budget is 25K, but I am willing to stretch it for the right car. I just want to know if the Bimmer is TRULY worth the extra money. Please help. Thanks

Big Reg
  • td2000323itd2000323i Member Posts: 1
    New to the group...looking to get a Nokia CARK-91US hands-free kit for my wife's 2000 323i, standard stereo. Is there anything that I should be aware of?

Also, any recommendations on installers in the Sacramento/Bay Area?

Many thanks,
    Tim
  • lokkilokki Member Posts: 1,200
    Only you can answer that question. The BMW has a certain pleasure to driving it, but the Acura will be more comfortable in the 'plush sense'. As the owner of both and Acura and a BMW, I can say that (IMHO) the BMW will require more expense over the next several years than the Acura, but routine maintenance on the Acura isn't exactly cheap. True you won't replace any parts but routine servicing is expensive. Still, I'd say that if money is really really tight, the Acura is going to be less expensive to operate and maintain. My next car? Another BMW, assuming that the economy doesn't change my plans....
  • lechicalechica Member Posts: 9
    Hi all.
    What is a MACO Fee of $500? I see that on the invoice and they say they cannot delete this fee from the car....does anyone know?
    I changed dealers from the original one & getting a better deal with another which includes the PP for the same amount of money...
    Thanks
  • gwbmwgwbmw Member Posts: 2
    dhanley

Thanks for responding to my post on BMW alarm.

A service advisor at my local dealership is telling me that it wouldn't be something I could install myself because they would have to do some "programming" in the car computer for it to recognize the alarm system and for it to work properly with the keyless entry system. Did you have to take your car to the dealership for programming after you installed the alarm yourself? Or is he just another crooked service advisor?

Thanks again for your response,
    gw
  • tmoralestmorales Member Posts: 11
    You can install the alarm yourself and THEN have it programmed by any dealer. I installed mine in about an hour, mostly because I was being excessively careful and then called all of the area dealers to see who would activate it for the cheapest amount. I paid $35 but was qouted up to $85 so check around. Also make sure that when they program your alarm the do not lose your car's other memory settings such as DRL, auto locks, etc. They can also program your parking lights to flash when you lock or unlock your car.
  • tjordtjord Member Posts: 1
    I am currently pricing 325i Sportwagons. Edmunds has the TMV listed as $29,400, which is the same as the MSRP. Are people paying sticker price for this car????
  • driver36driver36 Member Posts: 57
    The dealer here in San Francisco are discounting the wagon by $1,100 off from msrp. If you live in the bay area, you should try out S.F. dealer. Just my .02! Good Luck!
  • holeinoneholeinone Member Posts: 48
    The 3-series sedans have the most demand and the smallest profit margin, but even in the NJ area you can get one with $1,000 off MSRP on the average. Hence, you should get at least $1,000 off MSRP on a 3 Series sedan, and even more on other models. E.g. $2,000 off the 5 Series. Given the impending economic down-turn, I'd imagine less demand and more cancelled orders, this means better bargains for the buyers :)
  • hollenhorst2hollenhorst2 Member Posts: 51
    I just priced a 2001 330Ci with the following options: Sport Pkg., CD Player, and H-K Stereo Upgrade. The MSRP was $37,035, incl. dest.

I then priced a 2001 330i with the following options: Sport Package, Power Front Seats w/memory, Fold Down Rear Seats, CD Player, and H-K Stereo. The MSRP (incl. dest.) totalled $38,055, or $1,020 more than the Ci.

As best I can tell, this should make the 2 cars virtually identical except for the 2 vs 4 doors, and some other minor differences. My question is, why would the comparably equipped sedan be so much more than the coupe???
  • shanarayshanaray Member Posts: 1
    I just ordered a 2001 325i and thought I got an okay deal until I started reading this message board. I live in North Florida and was wondering what the prices are like in Florida. I got the following options: steptronic auto, moon roof, ad changer with cassette/am-am stereo, fog lights, cruise control with mufti function steering wheel, metallic paint, and free floor mats for a price of $30,950 without tax/tag. A $423 advertising fee and $570 destination charge is included. Are the prices for dealer's dam. handling and notary fees negotiable? Also, does anyone know if there is a way to check on production progress of the car? I have a production number. Please advise. Thanks
  • ric1035ric1035 Member Posts: 32
    they did not even want me to see the inside of the car and let alone test drive it

I went to see this dealership to compare the new I class and the 3 series,
    I was up front and told them I was just at the mercedes dealership and the deal did not go through(no msrp discount and 36,900 too expensive because it had a lot of options I did not need) and I wanted to see if I could get a deal after I see and test drive their vehicle
    they asked what terms I wanted and my FICO and down payment, which was 775 FICO score and 10,500 trade equity and I wanted a 24 month lease with no or minimal payments

Phil said that the deal would not work , and it does not matter which vehicle and I would be wasting his time,I got upset and I said that you do not even know if I'm going to like their vehicle as I never drove it before.
    He excused himself and helped another customer.
    Curious to see what a 3 series cost (33k) and what it looks inside, I walked towards on.
    I notice he asked another sales person named Holly to help me,
    hoping this lady will be more courteous , she went on and bad mouthed the mercedes dealership, and that they do not discount their cars and they are always out of stock, I asked to see the inside of the car and was discouraged
    I felt discriminated or disrespected, I'm 29 married and I own a 96 Z3,2000 navigator and toyota avalon and never have I had this bad of an experience
    I wished I should've gone to Riverside bmw where I bought my Z3
    is there a bmw site I can forward this post to let them be aware what kind of sales people represents their cars?
  • red15213red15213 Member Posts: 1
    Hi everyone --

I live in Washington, DC, where we have average winters. I'm wondering whether I should wash the car after every snowfall (to get rid of the salt buildup on the car body/paint) or whether I should leave the buildup there throughout the winter. (I heard a rumor that it might actually protect the paint against new -- and more corrosive -- salt) Thanks for the comments!

And the plug: 2 month old 2001 Titanium Silver 325i manual w/sport & premium w/2000 sh*t-eating grin miles. Since most comments are about performance, I'll address luxury. BMW knows how to make appealing cars. For those shopping, pay close attention to the interior fabric, the instrument layouts, the fuel door lock, the in-roof visor lights, and the built-in rechargeable flashlight, to name just a few "minor" perks that really make driving these cars an enjoyable experience.
  • lokkilokki Member Posts: 1,200
    Just curious.. if you have a Z-3 you got at Riverside, why didn't you go there and talk to your salesman or someone there? I'd have talked to my service advisor if I didn't know any of the salesmen there. I can't speak for the deal that you wanted to do, but I can say that Mercedes hasn't discounted their cars for at least a year now.

Here is the link for BMW's site http://www.bmwusa.com/start.cfm

You can contact someone through the links there. I'm surprised that you haven't been given the website link before...They put it on
    everything they send me and I seem to get quite a lot of mail from them.

Good luck with your Mercedes...
  • miky1miky1 Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone used the European Delivery option before? I read at www.bmwusa.com that i can save up to $6500 for taking delivery of my order in germany...but my dealer offered to give me only $1000 discount (325i). Is it possible to get a better deal than that? ...what's your experience on this....? thanks
  • bmwdocbmwdoc Member Posts: 3
    I am ordering a 325xi and was wondering if anyone had an opinion on the following options:xenon light package, fog light package, and the upgraded HK stereo. If you can please comment on value, quality, and specific details(ie. I have not seen anywhere the actual power output of the std stereo vs the HK stereo). I will probably order either the combined light package OR the stereo upgrade, so a comment on the relative value would be appreciated.

I have posted this question before without response. Am I using the message board properly?

Thank-you.
  • ric1035ric1035 Member Posts: 32
    thanks for the link
    it looks like they are only interested on mechanical i and web site issues, but I'll send it anyway
    I got the z3 in 96, then I gave it to my mom 2 years later so I lost touch with the service advisor, and plus moving to san diego

it should've matter which bmw dealer you go to
    spending this kind of money should deserve professionalism
    i am still interested to see how the 3 series handle
    i've read good things about it and my z3 still runs smoothly and no major or minor problems

the c class got my interest first because it's new
    the test drive was awesome, the sales person insisted i speed up on a 25mph 360 degree turn on ramp and it stayed flat on the ground,
    i test drove black on black c240 6 speed sport sedan
    i'll try other bmw dealerships in san diego,looking forward to see how it compares, any referrals?
  • fatirizzofatirizzo Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I just bought a 2001 325i and can't wait for it to get here!!

In response to message #425...I would definitely go with the xenon lights and fog lights instead of the upgraded radio. The original radio of the car is good enough to begin with...unless you're into upgraded radios and speakers.
  • rizzo7rizzo7 Member Posts: 8
    Hi all. I'm just starting to consider shopping around for a 325. Dumb question, but do most people buy their 3 series off a dealer lot, or can you actually order the car optioned as you like, and wait for manufacture and delivery? (This is my first BMW purchase. I would imagine dealers are less likely to deal with a custom ordered car, right?) Anyway, many thanks in advance.
  • kelfkelf Member Posts: 83
    In response to post 424- miky 1: please let me know if anyone had been able to get over $1,500 discount on 2001 325 ci via ED???
    Also when you are shipping back to US, can you designate the car to be shipped to any Us dealer at no cost to you?
    kelfg@aol.com
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    You can order your 3er to your specs. I'm forced to, since most dealers order BMWs with options I don't want, such as sunroofs and leather.
  • coucou Member Posts: 3
    Hello all. Can anyone tell me if a new 323ia leftover from 2000 priced at $32,510 is fair price to pay? This was the intial price the dealer offered even without negotiating. The invoice is $31,510 with a MSRP of $35,045. What would be a fair price to pay considering the new BMW 2002's will be released in 6 months making this a 2-year old car? Would it be uncommon for them to sell this car at or below invoice? If so, then how much below invoice? Also, consider that I can purchase before the end of the year.
  • dhanleydhanley Member Posts: 1,531
    Well, i did the install on my e36, and there was no programming to do. And, in truth, i don't think there is on the e46, either. Seeing as i go the part for $279 and the dealer wants $500 for it, i think it's just a way for them to get >$200 for an install that takes them, i bet, 30 minutes.

MMcbride, yeah, it's tough. There's a lot of good cars in this range, and anyone who says that all are garbage but one is not being realistic, i think. I was just in chicago for the holiddays, and got to drive in all the snow. I think if i lived there, i would have gotten the a4 quattro. I had to spend 1/2 an hour getting out of a parking spot one time. Lousy! And i think a manual tranny would be a pain in all that traffic. But i often see empty dry country roads around here... Zoooommmmm.

dave
  • fynldyfynldy Member Posts: 1
    I have decided on the vehicle for me-the 325xi (w/ PP, CD, leather, Step. Auto., Xenon). I would appreciate any input on dealers in MD/DC/VA area that you feel have given you a fair deal. Also, I am aware of invoice pricing on the vehicle and cost pricing on all options/packages, but I would appreciate any offers you have encountered and the dealership name associated w/ each. I've read previous postings for $1500 over invoice, has anyone seen better? I will not hesitate to drive for a good deal. Any and all responses are greatly appreciated! Thanks! HL
  • beetlebug62beetlebug62 Member Posts: 72
    <<425 of 433  325xi option packages by bmwdoc  Dec 26, 2000 (04:58 pm)

I am ordering a 325xi and was wondering if anyone had an opinion on the following options:xenon light package, fog light package, and the upgraded HK stereo. If you can please comment on value, quality, and specific details(ie. I have not seen anywhere the actual power output of the std stereo vs the HK stereo). I will probably order either the combined light package OR the stereo upgrade, so a comment on the relative value would be appreciated.>>

...you won't be sorry getting the Xenons and the HK stereo upgrade. They're not that expensive to begin with, and making comparable upgrades later will be much more expensive. The foglights can be installed later.
  • beetlebug62beetlebug62 Member Posts: 72
    <<#424 of 434  European Delivery.. by miky1  Dec 26, 2000 (01:35 pm)

Has anyone used the European Delivery option before? I read at www.bmwusa.com that i can save up to $6500 for taking delivery of my order in germany...but my dealer offered to give me only $1000 discount (325i). Is it possible to get a better deal than that? ...what's your experience on this....? thanks>>

...bmwusa.com website, you'd know that the $6500 savings for eurodelivery would be for a BMW retailling for over $90,000!

The website lists the Eurodelivery discount for each model. Basically, it's about 7% off MSRP, not including options. I'm guessing, but I imagine the discount on a 325 would be in the low 2000s.
  • jrychlickijrychlicki Member Posts: 5
    Hi. I have a steel gray 2001 325XI with premium package, all-wheel drive "x", cold weather package, xenon, fog lights, auto with step, metallic paint, and cd. I absolutely love the xenon lights but in all honesty, I have not been all that impressed with the fog lights. I do think however, it could be a function of the truely bright xenons. If I had to do it over, I would still opt for the fog lights at $360. As for the sound upgrade (this is one of the only options I did not elect) I would prefer to upgrade myself and since this was my first bmw, to me the sound was fine. I have heard other people suggest you take your favorite cd with you to the dealer and try both stock and upgraded systems to make up your mind.

As far as pricing, I ordered my 325xi in August and it arrived in October, and saved only 2%. I have heard this is alright considering I ordered to my specs and got the first 325 all-wheel drive to be delivered to my dealer in upstate NY. (Yes, I ordered prior to actually driving the awd.) I do know awd's have been quite popular and are on backorder.

All in all, I love my car and wouldn't trade it for anything. The wait was brutal but well worth it. We haven't gotten a ton of snow yet, but thus far, the awd is great! I just want BMW to now make accessories for the awd, like the rubber floor mats so I don't have to jam in the rear-wheel ones!
  • lechicalechica Member Posts: 9
    For the price of a 325ia 2000 - you might as well get a 2001 325i..unless they can bring the price down for you.
  • goody4goody4 Member Posts: 55
    Dealers were getting $2500 for selling the 323s. $2500 BELOW invoice should be your goal. Ask about their substantial incentive--the 2500 from BMWNA--to sell these vehicles. Likely they'll play dumb and deny a rebate ever existed, but it did.
  • drewsky2drewsky2 Member Posts: 9
    heather, i too am in the market for the 330xi...
    the easiest thing i've found is AutoVantage...go to their site, enter all your info, have your "dream car" all picked out..and ..send.
    they'll email back local bmw dealer...and, they will take the total invoice price ( exactly what you'll get here, or, even simplier at cars.com ), and, add $1400 exactly to that price.
    that's it.
    now....i just have to decide if i wanna wait for exactly "my" car...and you?
    drew
  • mamamia123mamamia123 Member Posts: 30
    Hello all, Im looking to lease a 325 sedan. My question is, will I get a better deal if I went and leased a 1999 BMW 323 sedan instead of leasing a 2001 325 sedan? The reason why I might be willing to go with the 1999, is because the body is basically the same, and if I can get a much better deal on the lease because the vehicle is pre-owned with some miles on it, then I'd be willing to go with it. When I say better "deal", I mean since lease terms are basically figured out between the MSRP and the residual value price..I was wondering which car would have a lesser difference between the MSRP and 36 months of ownership (Residual value)...a new 2001 BMW 325 Sedan or a 1999 323 sedan?? Of course, I want the deal that has the least difference between the MSRP and the residual price because that will mean lesser monthly payments/down payment. Any advice/comments regarding this question or leasing a BMW in general would be greatly appreciated.
  • coucou Member Posts: 3
    Goody, are you certain about $2500 under invoice? Is your source good? That would be remarkable. Thanks in advance for your input.
  • louiepklouiepk Member Posts: 3
    For those who have driven a 2001 325 or a previous 323, I would like to know if you ever felt a sense of lack of power that made you wonder whether you should have gotten a 330 or 328 instead. I think the 325 is a great deal, but my current decision-making process will hinge on whether the 2.5 engine "feels" too weak, especially with 4 passengers. Thanks.
  • drmperaltadrmperalta Member Posts: 58
    Well, the main reason why FWD are better in snow is the heavy engine on the front that pushes the front drives wheels down for more traction. How about a tried and proven cheap trick of loading 50 lbs or so of sack of sand (or salt or rice or potatoes, or whatever) to the trunk?

I bet many owners will not try this because they don't spend more MONEY to their status symbol GERMAN CAR and will prefer something else that is costly (more intelligent traction control upgrade or snow tires perhaps?).
    Traction control is standard in all US-made BMWs. It is a true marvel in snow. However, on almost any kind of incline covered with loose snow, the BMW will struggle without snow tires, which, by the way, are an INEXPENSIVE way to improve traction in snow. Though not as cheap as a sack of 50-pound 'taters.
    A BMW salesman posted this incentive figure--$2500--a few months ago on a BMW message board, but I couldn't find the thread. In any case, the dealer should be very willing to negotiate since he is now losing money by having the car sit on his lot. Ask: "Who gets the $2500 rebate, me or you?" See what the reaction is.
  • vesuviusiivesuviusii Member Posts: 32
    Like 'louiepk' a few posts before me, I'd also like to know if anyone out there has felt an appreciable difference (or lack of power) comparing, say a 323i v. 325i??
  • vesuviusiivesuviusii Member Posts: 32
    - 2000 323i
    - Premium Package
    - 5K mi
    - Auto/Manual tranny
    - $30,000 asking price (private seller)

I'm thinkin' "jump on this deal". What do you all think?

Thanks,
    V
  • stokdgsstokdgs Member Posts: 65
    Hope you had a great new year and best wishes for a great 2001 !
    I just drove my '01 325I sedan 5 spd, PP, SP, etc.. about 4000 miles and can only say, the power was just great! I never downshifted it from 5th gear the entire trip and this includes goiing up th Grapevine outside of L.A. I carried enough stuff for a 2 week trip so I can safely say I had at least one other passenger in the car beside me. The car had awesome power from anywhere in the 60-80+ range, where I did most of my driving. I took it up to 120 a couple of times after I broke it in, and it seemed very willing to go all the way to the electronic 128 mph stop . Louiepk, you mentioned carrying 4 passengers, this would have to make the car work harder, but it would be hard to speculate how much and how it would affect the driveability for you. I would lean more towards the newer 325 since it got a boost in horsepower and that would help your situation better I think. Oh by the way, my first tank of gas was getting 32.7 mpg and it only got better with this 2.5 motor. Ive not driven the 330I but the dealer told me its not noticeble until you get at higher speeds. Best bet for you would be to drive both 325 and 330 and decie3 what works best for you. Tradeoff will be less t mpg on the 330 since its bigger but maybe thats not an issue for you??
    Good luck, I know you will be totally happy with whatever you choose, I certainly am !
    DanF
  • ycfmwycfmw Member Posts: 3
    I am in DC area. Last week I went to VOB in Rockville and almost signed for a new 325i. The problem was the sales quoted me $520/mo for a 36-mo lease. (window price is $33000). It means I pay 520 * 12 = 6240 a year. or $18720 for 3 years. I don't think the car will depreciate that much in 3 years. Is there any good reason you guys decide to lease a car? Thanks.
  • ycfmwycfmw Member Posts: 3
    I am in DC area. Last week I went to VOB in Rockville and almost signed for a new 325i. The problem was the sales quoted me $520/mo for a 36-mo lease. (window price is $33000). It means I pay 520 * 12 = 6240 a year. or $18720 for 3 years. I don't think the car will depreciate that much in 3 years. Is there any good reason you guys decide to lease a car? Thanks.
  • ronmendelronmendel Member Posts: 12
    The lease generally only makes sense if you use the car primarily for business use. My company can "expense" the lease payment, since I use the car to visit clients. If my company bought it instead, my company would have to pay income tax on the retained asset, which would add considerably to the total cost.

If you don't use it for business, don't lease it. You will come out much better buying it.

Also, BMW dealers are notorious for "marking up" the interest rate they give you. For example, if your credit record is clean, you would deserve an interest rate of maybe 8%, but BMW will get you for about 11%, making an additional 3% on your deal. ALWAYS get your financing elsewhere (Bank, Insurance company, credit union, etc.) and you will do MUCH better.

Good luck.

-Ron
  • greatdanegreatdane Member Posts: 2
    Though I prefer a larger sedan (i.e. BMW 530), I am concerned about its performance in the winter. Should I go for the BMW330ix (AWD) or perhaps the Audie A6 Quatro (AWD) instead?

If I had the BMW 530 and put on snow tires plus a bag of sand in the rear, would that do the trick?

Thanks for any help you might offer.

Happy New Year!