Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 3-Series 2005 and earlier

Comments

• bmw323isbmw323is Member Posts: 410
    I posted the message about a weak air conditioning system. I appreciate the feedback about turning the temperature control down to 59 degrees - I'll try it and see if the air becomes colder (I already have the center vent on the blue dots). However, I'm mystified by the benefit of the auto climate control. Picture this. Get in the car on a hot day, start it and then hit the temperature button 11 times to get from 70 (last setting) down to 59. Then press the A/C button. Then make sure the recirculate button is on inside air for max cooling. Make sure the center vent is on the blue dots. The fan blasts. Push the fan speed button 5 or 6 times to turn it down until the air is cold. Then reset the fan to the auto setting. Then, when getting cool enough in the car, press the temperature button 10 times to back up to 69 (a reasonable temperature). HOLY COW! Wouldn't two round dials be a lot simpler and save all of us hundreds of dollars on the cost of the car? I can see why Edmunds keeps picking on auto climate controls in the BMW. Am I missing something?
  • gurumikegurumike Member Posts: 442
    If 69 is your favorite temp, select 69 degrees, make sure the A/C is on (snow flake light on), you got three blue dots, press auto AND LEAVE IT. Point the fan ducts more at you/away from you so the air flow is comfortable. Don't have the recirc on, initially.

Where on earth did you get that other version from?
  • willygleewillyglee Member Posts: 8
  • unboringuyunboringuy Member Posts: 90
    Looks like your car is just about identical to mie (except I got the xenon lights, in addition). The anticipation sometimes is hard to bear, but I think you will be happy when your car finally arrives. I had the pleasure at least to drive my first one for a short time, and was quite happy with it. I'm glad BMW finally has recalled the suspect vehicles, particularly in light of at least 4 fires. Lucky, nobody was hurt.

Guru....thanks for the offer of the tshirt. You are a true gentleman. But I figured it was up to BMWNA to actually do something. After sending a letter to the President (Mr. Purves), I finally got somebody to agree that I was not treated very well.

Anyway, my vehicle is finally with the carrier (may even be at the dealer by today). So, I will be driving my new BMW next week! FINALLY!!!!
  • roc50mgroc50mg Member Posts: 102
    gurumike: thanks for the status check. Also, I'm interested in putting an MP3 format device into my car when I get it and I was wondering exactly how that JVC FM modulator works and how you install it (I know you described it before, but it's not totally clear to me. Where do you hook it up to in the car? And does it send an FM signal to a particular frequency in the car radio, i.e. 98.3 MHZ, or is there something like an AUX input?). I have a Sony Network Walkman NW-MS9, which is the latest solid state MP3 device from sony featuring magic gate technology. It's small and cool looking, but relatively expensive ($ 350), and comes with a 64 MB removable memory stick that holds 1 to 2 hrs of music depending on the quality of recording. They also sell a 120 MB stick separately, but that'll run you another several hundred dollars. There are other solid state MP3 devices that don't have removable memory, that hold more info, but I think the best way to go is to get a CD/CD-R/CD-RW player like the Rio Volt, or the one I got from TDK called the Mojo. The Mojo is not visually very appealing, but it can play both regular CD's and CD-R that can hold 700 MB to 800 MB of into which translates into over 100 songs or several hours of music on a single CD. Who needs a 6 disc CD changer if you can get a CD-R player. It definitely is like having my own personal jukebox. Anyway, that's my opinion on music for the bimmer. I wish BMW offered a CD/CD-R player as an option in the car to begin with. Even a cassette deck with the business CD would have been nice because I have one of those cassette adaptors. What have you done so far for music in your car, guru?

unboringuy: Actually, I did order xenon with my car. I just forgot to include it in my description to guru. Mine will have a black interior. What about yours? I saw another person in my building with a 325 Ci, jet black/black, with SP, PP, 5 spd, that looked so sporty and cool, that I could not resist getting the same looking package for the 330 xi.

Another month??? Brutal!!!
  • aaron330iaaron330i Member Posts: 136
    ...she comes next week and I haven't a clue as to what to name her. Since I live in the South, was thinking some sort of southern name that connotates something sensual along with "mess with me and I'll kick your buttocks."

Any suggestions?
    ... yes, the JVC unit goes into the antenna socket on the back of the radio so it will play with the radio on and set to a not frequently used frequency.
    I really want to avoid getting a "big" CD player to sit somewhere in the car. Of course an mp3 play back CD player would hold a staggering amount of music, but with the factory stereo already playing CD-Rs, it's purpose would be solely mp3 use. Your Sony Walkman is exactly the one I've been considering. They're selling on eBay for under $200 (guess they've been discontinued) and so are 128Mb memory sticks. If I can get on, especially with a 128 magic gate card, that would likely be my ideal. I found my JVC modulator on eBay for 39.99, the company regularly sells them for 49.99 anyway. I'll let you'll know which way I end up going.
  • platypusplatypus Member Posts: 192
    Here's a good link - note the SMG option (will only be available in the states on the M3)

http://www.km77.com/marcas/bmw/serie3_02/0primera/galeria.asp

• burrsrburrsr Member Posts: 255
    I use the Sport and Manual modes 90% of the time (45% Manual, 45% Sport) and Normal mode the other 10%. I enjoy shifting when I want to shift in-town, and I like the Sport mode for highway -- when a quick burst is needed the shift points are programmed to be more aggressive.

No more wear and tear will be done when you shift in Manual mode. Think about it: nothing is different EXCEPT the fact that YOU are telling the tranny when to shift versus the program telling it when to shift. Zero difference.

Also, I wouldn't worry too much about using the cruise during stretched of the break-in. The engine was probably at a perfectly constant speed for no more than 10% of the initial 1,200 miles. Normal driving takes care of the variations needed automatically.
    My wife and I picked up our new Z3 2.5 last night and could not be more excited! Even moreso than picking up the 330 6 months ago. Something about 85-degree, sunny forecast for the weekend that made it feel more enchanting. The Sterling Grey is stunning and fairly rare -- wish they offered it in the 3-series as well. We were even able to negotiate several hundred bucks below invoice, due to the factory-to-dealer incentives going on thru July 2. Combine that with supported lease rates, and you have a reasonably-priced "toy" for the next 3 years!

I can't wait until break-in is complete. The 2.5 is so free-revving that it's even more difficult to keep under 4,500 rpm than the step. It seems like you engage the clutch and ZOOM -- you already need to shift to 2nd! My wife is out in it right now -- can't wait until she gets back so we can have a little fun...
    Your roadster will bring you lots of enjoyment! Be sure to frequent the Z3 board at bimmer.org. It's much more civilized and the posters enjoy a true sense of camaderie as compared to the E46 board. They organize get-togethers (runs) quite frequently. Be sure to attend one of them as they are quite fun - especially when the weather is nice!!

Given that the Z3 is lighter and has a manual tranny, it probably feels comparable in pick-up to your step 330i. Yes? No?
  • kominskykominsky Member Posts: 850
    southern, sensual, AND butt-kicking?!?!

um... Bonecrusher Belle? :-)

I can't wait to hear what you come up with!
    Well, looked at some of the mp3 files I plan on playing in the car. Some of them are over 200Mb (2 hour live recordings) so there's no way my "ideal" Sony memory stick mp3 player will work, even if I spent $400 to get the player and a 128 Mb magic gate. There are some $100 mp3 CD players on eBay with separate controls. This would allow the unit to be hidden (I have yet to decide where!) and just have a small control stick (in the ash tray?) for playing the mp3s. I'll let you'll know what ever I do.
    I've met some pretty feisty women down here in Texas.
  • micgamicga Member Posts: 56
    Hi everyone - I have posted this message several times with out any luck. Does anyone know where I could go to get an after market front license plate for my 325i (besides circle and pacific BMW)? I saw a plate at one time that was black with the BMW logo. However, the BMW letters were in yellow. However, I can't find this plate. Can anyone help me out?

Thanks
  • j330ij330i Member Posts: 27
    Can you tell me if any exterior colors (for the 330i) are proprietary BMW colors that are not available to any other make of car? such as steel blue? I was considering a steel blue/gray combo. Is that a popular choice? Also, if I were to opt for the sand interior, does the lack of aluminum trim diminish from the inside look of the 330 compared to the 325?
  • yeeehayeeeha Member Posts: 33
    This sounds like what you are looking for....black plate with bmw logo?

Marque Plate w/BMW Emblem

Stainless steel Marque Plate available in Black, Polished, and Satin (not shown).

Part Number Frame / Insert Retail* Sale*

82 12 1 470 313 Black Stainless Steel $34.95 $27.96

82 12 1 470 314 Polished Stainless Steel $34.95 $27.96

82 12 1 470 312 Satin Stainless Steel $34.95 $27.96

http://www.circlebmw.com/parts/access/acc-cat.htm

• kiskikiski Member Posts: 17
    Reading the posts on this board pretty much answers most questions. One item I never see addressed is radar detectors. Is this a taboo topic? I have a Valentine in my '98 Lexus GS300 and am curious if I should put the same thing in my 330i (steel blue/gray plus most everything except park distance and navigation) when it arrives in August. I am keeping the Lexus as a family vehicle - my wife and daughter love it and it is perfect for trips.

Is there a better radar option for the 3 series - particularly one hidden from view?

Thanks in advance
  • j330ij330i Member Posts: 27
    Can you tell me if any exterior colors (for the 330i) are proprietary BMW colors that are not available to any other make of car? such as steel blue? I was considering a steel blue/gray combo. Is that a popular choice? Also, if I were to opt for the sand interior, does the lack of aluminum trim diminish from the inside look of the 330 compared to the 325?
    maybe you can find what you want at one of these sites...

www.autoplates.com/contents.htm

www.driversfound.com/gak/

www.bimmerpartsco.com/gifts.htm
  • dremptdrempt Member Posts: 31
    How 'bout "Savannah"? It's southern and sensual, I guess.
    I believe the sand interior in either the 330 or 325 comes with high gloss sand trim standard (too '70s, IMHO). The sand looks GREAT with the wood trim, though.
    "I've met some pretty feisty women down here in Texas."

If I can get Yuengling Lager down there, I'm on my way! ;-)
    I think the Z3 2.5 manual is rated within a few tenths of the 330i Step, and it certainly feels like it, even though I have not yet seen the fun side of 4,500rpm. Being that close, you'd probably have to get out the ol' stopwatch to really tell a difference. The Z3 3.0 is truly FAST; BMW rates the manual at 5.9 sec 0-60. They are usually about a half-second on the conservative side, so professional drivers or the auto press could probably achieve mid 5's. The biggest difference so far between the 330 and the Z3 (other than the lack of roof, of course) is the steering feel. The Z3 requires MUCH more effort (I have the "lightest" 3er steering rack), almost like the wheel really wants to resist moving from straight-ahead. I really like the feel. Road feel is very similar, though -- both cars communicate very well exactly what the front tires are doing and what road inconsistencies they are traversing.

Well, the wife is out in the Z3 once again, so I guess that means I should go mow the lawn. :(
    A six-month old 330, a brand spanking new Z3 and a happy wife. Life is good! Enjoy :)
    I like Savanna.

I've never heard of Yuengling Lager, but I'll check for it at Central Market next time I go.

The Valentine 1 is the best radar detecter there is...why would you want to put anything else in?
  • coleescolees Member Posts: 1
    Hi. I am a college student doing a report about consumer behavior. I have been studying your message boards and have enjoying seeing how enthusiastic you are about your BMW's (I hope to one day be part of your group and own a BMW). I was hoping I could get some feedback on any motives and emotions that are involved in purchasing a BMW. Why a BMW? What made you want to purchase that brand and not another?

Thanks alot.
  • kiskikiski Member Posts: 17
    I like the Valentine (no tickets in 3 years) and it was the best at the time I purchased it. However, I have done no research since then and am unfamiliar with any changes in technology or the marketplace.
  • jpaganjpagan Member Posts: 11
    Burrsr, I didn't know BMW had special offers for the Z3. Could you please comment on what kind of a deal were you able to get. Was it a lease or straight purchase? Please comment...
    ...I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not...is it important to add a bit of jealousy to the mix to add flavor?
    Well the competition hasn't caught up with them, so your old Valentine is still at the top of the detector heap.
    ... the built in K40. I was apprehensive, but it turned out to be every bit as good. I do miss the bogey counter! But total stealth, just a small dial for volume and city/highway and a couple of LEDs for reference. I'd say it's tops!
    Can anyone recommend good floor mats. I am looking for something to catch the dirt and wet of everyday use. There are numerous aftermarket products but I want something that fits the car. 2001.5 330I (grey interior).
  • jfedor1jfedor1 Member Posts: 39
    I put a deposit down on leasing a 330i on Thursday, and just changed it to buying a 325i. (long story).
    I'd like to know how I would track it. I hear people talking about the status of the car but I have no idea where I would go to track that.
    I know it will be produced week 30. I don't know what that means.

Thank you

Josh
  • hawkberthawkbert Member Posts: 21
    If you're looking at an MP3/CD player, get the Rio Volt. It's generally accepted as the best MP3/CD player out there right now. If you have a tape player, you can use a car kit to connect it, and then operate it with the included remote.

If you want even more storage, check out the Creative Labs Nomad Jukebox. It comes with a 6GB hard drive (but is still the same size as a CD player), so it can hold a *ton* of music. I'm not sure if it has a remote, though.
  • jnscheongjnscheong Member Posts: 66
    Once you have the production number (you dealer will be able to provide it to you), you can track your car's status either by telephone or through the internet.

The phone number for BMWNA is 800-831-1117.

The URL for BMWNA is http://www.bmwusa.com/

Go to Owner's Circle and sign up.

Production week tells you the approximate week of the year that your car will go into production. In your case, your car should go into production in the week of 7/23.

jnscheong

• lochnesslochness Member Posts: 1
    I put down a deposit today on a beautiful charcoal 325i but I live in the frozen northeast and spend lots of time driving in snow. Does anyone have experience driving in snow and how does the car handle? I could wait 3 months or so for the 325xi but I really loved this one. Thanks for any input you might have!
    Why a BMW? Handling, power, safety, durability, superb German engineering, luxuries, gorgeous styling, price.
    The AVC Soul Player also looks like a real good MP3 player. Here's a review:

http://hardware.mp3.com/hardware/individual/3257.html

• derprofiderprofi Member Posts: 250
    The AVC Soul Player is actually the same mechanism as a Rio Volt, just a different badge and plastic exterior. I just picked up a Volt a couple weeks back and it's great. I find it to be much more convenient than even a 6 CD changer and if you take the time to rip your MP3s properly, the sound is great (and I'm even running it through a cassette adapter--dang no-CD-havin' SLK!)

Now I'm faced with a bit of a conundrum... I honestly prefer the styling of the 2001 330i to the 2002. I also know that I could probably have a 2001 in my grubby mitts by September for the standard discount of $1500-1600 over invoice, but I'm assuming there may not be deals on the 2002 until Christmas or next year even. So part of the equation comes down to standard equipment and whether or not it changes for 2002. I tried to download the PDF file linked on Bimmer.org but it only lists equipment packages for the 5er and Z8. Anyone know what changes we'll see on standard equipment and/or pricing for 2002?
    Here's what I remember from the order sheet for the '02 3ers:

- In-dash CD will be standard (replacing current cassette) Yay!!!
    - Xenon headlight option consists of bi-xenons (high and low beams) vs. current low-beam only
    - Sport package will include clear lenses and the M3 steering wheel (common upgrades for owners of '01 cars desiring a sportier look)
    - Rear side airbags will be standard
    - Run-flat tires will be optional on 330i (but not available with Sport Package)
    - 325 with Sport Package gets new wheel styling
    - Natural Brown leather replaces Tanin Red leather as an option
    - Electric Red replaces Bright Red as an exterior color
    - Light Yellow Metallic and Sienna Red are phased out as exterior colors

Probably more that I missed out on. Note that there is no word on pricing yet, although I doubt that base prices will increase given the competitive market pressures. All this is great for the consumer.
  • parumpparump Member Posts: 65
    I am interested in tinting my car windows (sides and back) to reduce heat absorption - not specifically to darken the windows.

One tint place recommended Hanita cold steel 70%. The tint darkening effect is minimal and supposedly provides excellent blockage of infrared radiation.

Does anyone have experience with this product or general tinting recommendations?

Thanks in advance.
  • bingusabingusa Member Posts: 22
    http://www.bmw.com/bmwe/index.html
    then click the new 7 series.
    It certainly will have much influence and set the direction for the 2002 and future 3 series.
  • dl7265dl7265 Member Posts: 1,381
    I concur with Savanna thats as suthurn as it gets ;).

02 changes: i like the option changes, but not the new nose, ill be keeping the '99 for a while now ;).

Regards,
    DL
  • bingusabingusa Member Posts: 22
    When will the 2002 3er's be available for ordering? Do dealers have the 2002 photos, brochures, and order sheets already? Since the 2002 MY production will begin on 9/1, when do you think the beginning of delivery in US would be. Thanks.
    I believe that the first US deliveries of '02 cars will be in late October.

Official BMW photos were just released this week, as was the order sheet. Brochures are probably still 1-2 months out.

Given that the order sheets are available, you can probably place an order for an '02. Final pricing will have to wait until the numbers are released. (I suppose though that you could place an order at MSRP, or some fixed amount over dealer invoice, if the dealer is willing.)
    It's 2:30 am and I'm reading this board. Oh boy. Anyway... Jerry's E46 Pickup Checklist says that US models don't come with MedKit/traffic triangle. Does anybody know why?

Also, how do you guys post pix here? Can't find the attachment button.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    drempt, the Town Hall help file (see link on left sidebar) gives directions on how to post pictures within a message. Just keep in mind that you can only use the "img src" tags to post pictures for which you own the copyright. Otherwise, you can provide links to pictures (as long as the host site does not object).

Hope this helps.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans and Women's Auto Center Message Boards