Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 3-Series 2005 and earlier

Comments

• jay103jay103 Member Posts: 4
    I test drove the 325i today - drove one with sports pkg and one without. I thought that the one without sports package was a smoother ride. I also drove the Mercedes C-240 - no comparison at all - that car was so lazy - didn't like it at all. I have decided to go with a Black 325i with Sand leatherette, cruise, 5 speed, rear fold down seats, cd changer, wood trim, moon roof, armrest.

If you order a car now, it's considered March production and Yes - for the 325i - cruise, automatic climate control, heated mirrors, heated washer jets and fog lights are standard - I think that's great - saves a lot of $$.

My questions are
    1. Should I consider getting the on-board computer as well?
    2. If I get an in dash cd player, where do I put my cds? I didn't see any storage for cds.
    3. If I get the CD changer in the glove box, will that take up all the space? Trunk mounted or glove box - advantages and disadvantages - please ?
    4. My dealer is offering 6.9% APR - have any of you actually gotten the 5.9 % rate?
    5. I am getting the car for $1800 over invoice which is about 6.5% over invoice - would you consider that a good deal? For this price, the dealer has offered to install the CD changer for $750 (trunk or glove box) and he is giving me the floor mats and more for free.

Thanks in advance for your response !!!
    Any other relevant comments will be appreciated as well.
  • xmannxmann Member Posts: 19
    Your experience is definitely not the first and probably not the last. I believe the law firm of Shelden & Kulchin in Encino had a similar case at one time a few years ago. Thats how long they have known of this problem and if memory serves me there were injuries in that one. If I remember correctly it was alledged it had something to do with both a tire design defect and a suspension design defect. BMW is not immune to hiding problems anymore then any other automotive company.
  • madmaxettemadmaxette Member Posts: 1
    I live in Annapolis, MD. Has anyone dealt with or bought a BMW from Tate BMW in Annapolis? I went yesterday and test drove a 325i, they were very nice, no pressure, but we didn't really negotiate price yet. Of course their first quote was MSRP...Also, does anyone know what the INVOICE price will be for the new Premium Package per the Dealer Bulletin? I know the new MSRP will be $2700, but how about the invoice? BYW, the dealer showed me the bulletin in the showroom, I thought that was really honest.
  • hellihelli Member Posts: 8
    I purchased a 2001 bmw 330i for my wife for Christmas. We live In East Hampton, Eastern Long Island, NY/US. It is a rural area and a tourist spot during the summer season.
    At the time I purchased this vehicle I thought it would be reliable. I do not want my wife to drive an unreliable vehicle because of the isolated nature of this area and the lack of people this time of year.
    I purchased it at a dealership 100 miles away where a friend works. The purchase experience was fine. However it is six weeks later and the vehicle does not want to crank over. I called Roadside Assistance and the vehicle was flat bedded to the nearest dealer "BMW of the Hamptons" approximately 35 miles away.
    I gave the service department a detailed description of the problem. The vehicle sat there for 2 days before they looked at it. They told me they were short of service personnel. Yesterday when I called I was told it was ready. The problem they say was a "dead battery" due to something being left on when the car was shut down. Knowing that that was not the case I asked specific questions such as "what could have been left on". I was told it could have been the driving lamps or the directional may have been engaged when exiting the vehicle. This is untrue because the driving lamps and directional do not operate when the vehicle is off and the key removed. I inquired of the person who I was speaking with who identified himself as the "Service Manager" why did it take 2 days to look at the car. He stated "because they were not the selling dealer." I appreciate the honesty of this gentleman and would like to pass this information along to other BMW owners or those interested in purchasing one.
    They did offer to return the vehicle to my home. When it arrived I inspected it for any damage. I read very carefully the service invoice I was supposed to sign. It did not accurately reflect the complaint that I specifically related to them. When I pointed this out to the person who delivered my vehicle he became rude and abrupt. I refused to sign the paper work.
    Today is Sunday, at 7:00 am.. I went to pick up the Sunday paper and some baked goods and guess what. Our brand new BMW 330i with 1,700 +/- miles failed to crank over.
    I called Roadside Assistance and requested that the vehicle be flat bedded to the dealer where I purchased it because I an dissatisfied with the service at "BMW of the Hamptons". I was told that I would have to pay the expense. They would only pay to bring it to the nearest dealership. Now I have to wait until tomorrow to resolve the towing charges before they pick up the vehicle. This is becoming a nightmare.
    I have owned many new vehicles in my lifetime and have never had a problem of this nature with any of them or their respective dealerships/service centers.
    I regret purchasing a BMW and at this point unless they give me a brand new one, I will sell it and buy a Chevy!
  • beetlebug62beetlebug62 Member Posts: 72
    <<#698 of 712  Sport ride by lovebmw  Feb 09, 2001 (06:10 am)
    Thank you for your suggestions beetlebug62. Even I thought that the ride with the coupe and sport sedan should be very similar since the coupe came standard with the sport pkg. Unfortunately, I bought this car with only a 10 min. test drive. Bad decision since I didn't get to try it under various road conditions. Since I had driven the coupe before, I assumed that this would ride the same way. >>

Yes, the coupe and sedan with sport pck should ride similarly. The latest model 3 series is significantly stiffer than previous 3 series. 40% or so. Was your previous coupe experience in an older 3? This may be part of the reason for your experience.

<<Other than getting a larger tire and smaller rim, is there anything else that the dealer can do to improve acceleration and reduce engine noise when accelerating?>>

My rec on getting a lower profile tire, NOT a larger tire, and/or a smaller rim, has NOTHING to do with acceleration and engine noise, but everything to do with finding a softer ride. Many people forget that tires are part of the suspension and play a large factor in ride comfort.

I am presuming that the sport pck included lower profile tires with a larger rim, which ride more firmly. You don't need to go to smaller rims which can be expensive. You can just get a higher profile tire that will soften your ride, as it will have more flexible sidewalls. However, getting smaller rims will allow you to get an even higher profile tire, and softening your ride even more.

<<And do the tires have to calibrated with some other part to smoothen the ride? I am enjoying the ride after 35 mph speed is achieved but the strain to get there is making me wonder if the engine is performing to its full potential.>>

No calibration necessary, getting higher profile tires, does not mean that the height of the tire needs to change. Profile refers to the relationship between width of tread to sidewall height.

I am confused by your last statement, as you seem to mix your ride problem with your acceleration problem. The engine has nothing to do with your ride problem. Perhaps you should consider using 91+octane, if you have been using regular fuel. I'm assuming your car's engine is calibrated for 91+ octane, and using lower octane, will mean your engine detunes itself.

<<Are touring tires all season tires? Can you recommend a brand and if I can get them through BCCA? Thanks much..... >>

For the most part, almost all touring tires are rated all-season. Recommend? Try tirerack.com, and talk to a service advisor. Tell em your prob, and let em give you some choices. BMW uses the Continental Contitouring tire as it's all-season touring tire.
    ...about engine noise, most Bimmer enthusiasts consider the mechanical noise to be music to their ears. Other than selling your car, and getting something else, the only thing I can think of doing would be to use Mobil1 synthetic oil, in a 0w30 viscosity. I've heard anecdotally, that it may quieten the engine fractionally.
    <<#701 of 714  Winter tires, high performance tires by lovebmw  Feb 09, 2001 (10:13 am)
    Heeeelp! Just got a 2000 323i sport package with 7,500 miles on it. I am trying to decide whether I should get winter tires or just get the ultra high performance all season tires. I don't like the bumpy ride of the Dunlop Sport 2000 tires that are OEM on the car.

Choices seem to be:
    All season:Dunlop SP 5000 or Michelin Pilot XGT Z4

Winter Tires:Dunlop Sport M2 or Michelin Pilot Alpins (I am not considering the Blizzax becoz of Firestone recall, not comfortable with brand)

Replacement for high performance summer:Dunlop SP 9000

If you have any suggestions other than the ones in consideration here, please feel free to add your preferences.

Since this car is rear wheel drive should Winter tires be better for traction vs all season? I live in the metro Detroit area.>>

.. on a RWD car, will far outperform all-season tires. The question is, how safe do you want to be?

If you don't like the Dunlop Sport2000 tires, cause of the hard ride, you are going to HATE ultra high performance all-season tires. As for snow tires, both the Dunlop Winter Sport and Michelin Pilot Alpin are excellent; however, the Blizzak LM22 is superb. As far as the Firestone deal goes, Bridgestones are made in Japan, different source, different make, and just completely different. You should have no fear in getting Bridgestones.
  • seacliffseacliff Member Posts: 2
    responding to kagy--
    We did a Euro delivery in November. You don't need to drive the car--but you will probably want to. Driving on the autobahn at a steady 110 mph + for miles is worth the trip alone. As far as picking up the car, they make it very easy. The drop off location is in a different part of Munich (or in other European cities.) Be sure to go to the BMW museum and mention that you are picking up a new car. With proof of your status as new owner, the museum becomes free and you may get a tour of the factory as we did. There is no minimum time to drive the car; the maximum with free insurance is 30 days. Be sure to keep your first aid kit and road hazard markers (only for Euro cars. Apparently they usually get "lost" in shipping.) You can also remove one of the EU plates to keep when you drop it off. Auf wiedersehen.
  • larryintnlarryintn Member Posts: 103
    One problem and one failed repair attempt does not a lemmon make. Do a web search for the lemmon law in your state and you'll see what legal requirement must be met.

That said, the service you received was terrible. Complain directly to BMW NA via the link and phone numbers on their web site. I'd also recommend avoiding that dealership for future service. I didn't buy my car at our local dealership yet they bend over backwards to make me feel welcome in the service department including offering free loaners every time without me even having to ask.

The dealership is correct in that the parking lights (what are driving lights on a US car?) will stay on if you leave the headlights on and one-side of the parking lights will stay on if you leave the turn signal in the left or right position. What they seem to be confused about is that those lights will be turned off automatically if the battery's charge starts to drop so that alone can't be the reason for a dead battery.

Find a dealer who will actually diagnose and fix your problem.
  • kmeinkekmeinke Member Posts: 2
    Does anybody have the waagon. I test drove one a couple of days ago and was very impressed.
    Larry, thank you for your reply. I must agree "One problem and one failed repair attempt does not a lemmon make." However, I have a well established background in Electronic Engineering. I know for a fact that I did not leave the parking lamps or anything else on. FYi, the vehicle at the time was parked in front of an I/R sensitive security camera in my driveway. If lights had been on it would have been noticed. Not to mention that I replayed the time lapse video and confirmed same.

Earlier today I researched the "NYS New Car Lemon Law" it states in part:

"It is presumed that there have been a reasonable number of attempts to repair a problem if, during the first 18,000 miles of operation or two years from the original delivery date,whichever comes first, either: (1) the same problem has been subject to repair four or more times and the problem continues to exist; or (2) the car is out of service by reason of repair of one or more problems for a cumulative total of 30 or more calendar days and the problem continues to exist. If the problem is not repaired after a reasonable number of attempts, or the manufacturer or the dealer refuses to commence repairs within 20 days from the manufacturer's receipt of the "refusal to repair" notice from the consumer, and if the problem substantially impairs the value of the car to the consumer, the manufacturer, at the consumer's option, must either refund the full purchase or lease price, or offer a comparable replacement car."
    http://www.oag.state.ny.us/consumer/cars/qa.html

As of tomorrow the vehicle will be out of service 5 days and this will be the second repair attempt. It is always nice to have the law on your side.

It is unfortunate that the local dealership (BMW of the Hamptons) refuses to repair the vehicle because the Service Manager stated "they are not the selling dealer."

To answer your question, what I mean by driving lights are the head lamps and the accessory driving lights (you know the ones that shut off when you engage the hi-beams). You are absolutely correct in how you describe their function and operation.

The main problem that I have with "BMW of the Hamptons" service department is the fact that a full diagnosis and repair were not performed as the vehicle is sitting in my driveway "dead" right now with 1,700 miles for the second time in 4 days. I purchased it 12/28/00.

It is my opinion that the battery may be defective with a bad cell. BMW of the Hamptons could have changed the battery if all other diagnostic proceedures failed to unveil a problem. I mean what does a battery cost the dealer? In this case~ nothing. It is a warrantee repair.

They could claim they did not have one in stock in the parts department. If that were the case, which I doubt, a prudent business maneuver would have been to pull one out of a vehicle on the showroom floor or from a vehicle in inventory. Do you not agree?

When I was younger I purchased a new Chevy pickup. The exterior door handle broke shortly thereafter. I could not enter the vehicle from the driver side. It was a pain in the butt for me (6'4", 230lbs) to enter from the passenger side and climb over. The dealer could not get the part. After 11 days they pulled the part of a similar vehicle in inventory. I admire the owner of that dealership. He knows how to run a successful business.

I believe that either the battery is defective or there is a fault in an electronic circuit. I do not have a schematic, nor am I familiar with BMW circuitry since this is my first BMW. So I cannot even speculate what or where in the circuitry the problem exists.

In closing, I find this forum beneficial to not only myself but for anybody who may be considering buying a BMW. By the way Larry, are you affiliated with BMW? Thanking you in advance for your reply.
    I think you missed my point, it doesn't matter if the lights were left on or not, the car will shut them off before they drain the battery.

Your problem is with the service department, not with the car. I'd complain to BMWNA about the service department and would take the car to another dealer.

I have no relation to BMW other than that of owning one.
  • kagykagy Member Posts: 2
    To seacliff, Thanks for the info...much appreciated. kagy
  • modnealmodneal Member Posts: 6
    I ordered a 325xi two weeks ago and was told to expect 45-60 days to the Midwest. Any recent orders differing than that?

Firt time BMW buyer so I'm not sure if I can wait...
    Delivery time depends on two things; your location and the build date that your dealer has available for sale.

You can't do anything about your location but you can compare build dates. One dealer may have an earlier build date available than another and, if so, would be able to offer an earlier delivery.
    OK - thanks. I'll call the dealer to find out the build date. I read several earlier posts about a possible website to check the ongoing status. Anything to that?
    Thank you for your suggestion to bring the vehicle to another dealer. However Roadside Assistance will only cover the cost to bring it to the closest. That is "BMW of the Hamptons" who refuse to repair the vehicle. Apparantly because "they are not the selling dealer" as I was told by the Service Manager there. I very much appreciate his honesty. They returned the vehicle to me unrepaired and it sits in the driveway dead.
    Unfortunately, the next closest dealer is 65 miles away and I have been informed by R/A that they will not cover the expense to bring it there.
    Today I have owned this car for 46 days. As of today it has been out of service for 5 days. That is better that 10% of the time that I have owned it.
    To alpine325i,
    I read your message and can relate to how much you enjoy your new car. Just imagine how we must feel looking at ours sitting in our driveway all weekend "DEAD" for the second time in 5 days.
    Personally, if I wanted a useless hunk of expensive metal I would have bought a sculpture. At least the sculpture, when looked at, wouldn't be so aggrevating. Good luck to you and everyone else that owns one of these.
  • stokdgsstokdgs Member Posts: 65
    Harry, I have never in my 52 years heard of a dealer saying they will not service a car because they are not the selling dealer ! That is not what customer service is all about. Have you taken the complaint to the National Service Rep ? Have the dealer you want to use, put you in touch with that person, and tell them the story, I am sure that person will be amazed that it lasted this long.. It sounds like the Hamptons dealer is totally out of touch with reality, he is supposed to service any and all BMW products that come through his door, not just the ones that were sold by him.. Tell him you want to talk to the owner of the dealership for starters... Then get the National Factory Service Rep..
    It sounds like something is draining the battery, and/or the battery has a bad cell or two, its not impossible to fix, they have a diagnostic for all that stuff I imagine... They not only owe you the repair, they should have already given you a loaner BMW while your car was in the shop.
    Perhaps start with bmwusa.com and work down from there..
    Good luck, I can totally relate to your frustration..

DanF
  • shiko4755shiko4755 Member Posts: 3
    I wished you I could tell you not purchasing the BMW products early.
    I had a 1997 BMW 328is with less than 40,000 miles on it. I went througt all the troubles since the first day I purchased.
    1. Internal Gas Tank Leaking,
    2. Radiator blowout,
    3. Driver's side rear tire tread separation, etc.
    Now, the tire was under investigation. After all the troubles was gone, I will sell my Bimmer immediately.
  • shiko4755shiko4755 Member Posts: 3
    Thank you for your suggestion. Now, the tire was under investigation by tire manufacturer.
    ...have you considered getting one of those "batteries in a case"o use as an emergency starter? It would save you alot of headaches while the dealer pulls its head out of its *ss. There's a new design using thin foil technology, that's about $80 at my WalMart, and weighs nothing. It's useful for lots of things, besides starting cars, and thus, is always handy, regardless of car battery problems.

While your dealer's service is poor, it can be quite difficult diagnosing the source of a short. And, I'm not surprised that the dealer's first inclination is to recharge the battery, before considering replacing it.
    Have you followed any of the suggestion you've received here? Calling BMWNA, calling your sales rep, taking your car to another dealer for repair? It doesn't sound like you're doing anything to get this problem fixed.
    First, in response to larryintn: Considering that most of this happened late Saturday, there wasn't much I could do. All the dealerships are closed on Sunday. I thank you for the input you have provided .
    I DO HAVE GOOD NEWS!!!
    The dealer where I purchased my 330i paid the difference in flat bed charges. BMW allows me 30 miles and the dealer where I purchased my vehicle is 90 miles away. On the ride up there I asked the operator of the flat bed how much do they get per mile. He told me at least $2.50/mile.
    When I got to the dealer (Habberstad, Huntington Station, NY) where I purchased my 330i, they rolled out the red carpet. The service manager came out and introduced himself to me and asked if there was ANYTHING he could do for me. He was also apologetic for the treatment I received at "BMW of the Hamptons". The service manager at Habberstad should be a role model. He is actually concerned about keeping a BMW customer satisfied no matter where that customer purchased their vehicle. Habberstad knows how to run a business.
    He also set me up with a 2000 - 528 loaded, as a loaner. I very much appreciate what he did for me. It was a long day and a long drive home and as soon as I walked through the door the phone was ringing. My service advisor informed me they found the problem and the vehicle was repaired. It was a bad battery. Just as I had suspected.
    It is hard to understand why "BMW of the Hamptons" couldn't perform the most rudimentary repair under the circumstances. That would have been to install a new battery. They would have saved a lot of aggrevation and time. Not to mention the bad exposure for them and my certified complaint to BMW NA.
    Hopefully I will not have any more problems with this vehicle.
    I thank all for your concern and response.
    Sounds like you picked the right dealer from which to purchase. They sound a lot like my local dealer.

So, how was the 528? I've only had the oppertunity to drive a 5er once, a 540iT at last year's Ultimate Drive. I really liked it but the 16 mile course was far too short!
    The 528 is a hell of a machine! WOW! Since you drove one you know what I mean. It also has an awesome sound system. It is very comfortable. It is a little sluggish compared to my 330i but the 330i has a hell of a lot of power. I also have a '99 Ford F250 Diesel supercab with 8 foot bed. Big truck. I love it. It has a 7.3L V8 turbo that delivers 250HP at 2600 RPM with 500 Ft/lbs torque. If you have ever driven a diesel you know they have the power to pull a house down but they are slow off the line. As big and heavy as it is it gets 18 MPG/town, 22/highway, not bad. Plus the airconditioning will freeze you solid on the hottest day when the engine is just idling in park! My friends with the same truck with a gas engine get half that. When I get in the BMW, I have a habit of pushing too hard on the gas pedal. The difference is night and day. Nothing like variety though. My '52 Dodge M-43 is pretty neat too. Its real slow. Flat head 6, geared real low. It will go through anything. Believe me, I've been there with it. Never seen another one of those around here. I have actually seen people jumping up and down cheering at it when I drive by.
    I'm not a truck person, never have been. They're great when you need to haul or tow something but I don't enjoy their look/ride as do many others. That's fine, makes it more likely that a friendly neighbor will have one to borrow when I need one. :)

I'm not surprised that the 528 feels underpowered compared to your 330. That 330 has a lot of zip! I a bit more practical there, too, and am quite happy with the power in our 323i. More power is fun but I didn't care to pay for it. On the economy side, we've made a number of long trips in the 323i and it's averaged between 30 and 31 MPG with 70-75mph speed limits. Pretty impressive.

Let us know if the new battery has solved your problem. Also, I'd be interested to hear what advice, if any, your dealer offered regarding dealing with the dealer closer to your house. Can they do anything to help you out there?
  • bavarianbavarian Member Posts: 63
    Shiko- I believe the gist of your post #728 to mean that because in 40,000 miles you have had three problems with your 98 BMW, you would warn others (and yourself) away from buying another BMW car. Is that right?
    Yikes! If you have time stick your head out the window and look at all those BMWs driving around-they are not all in a repair shop. Then look through ALL the BMW posts on Edmunds and see how FEW unhappy BMW owners there are. I read EVERY post in the sedans and coupes/convertibles boards while making up my mind to buy a BMW 325i.
    Some BMW owners have problems-but which auto maker is so perfect there is no need for repair EVER? There is nothing made by humans that is guaranteed to perform flawlessy, regardless of how it is used.
    I have a friend who has a 1994 530 wagon which has yet to have a problem (60,000) miles.
    My own BMW experience is that in 4 months, in a brutal winter, driving on abysmal pot-holes with a little road in between, my car has been faultless and everything I hoped it would be.
    Do you notice the enthusiasm the happy BMW owners have for this marque? BMW didn't get to be where it is today by making more than its' share of problematic cars.
    I have had many cars before this as I have been driving since 1976. I got used to paying repair bills and sitting in waiting rooms. I took it like a man-the cost of car ownership includes some repair bills. Should my current car develope problems while I have it I will pay to get it fixed and my lower lip will not quiver.
    I can guarantee you I won't damn the name of BMW if and when I have a problem or series of problems.
    Based on my limited experience to date, my next car is likely to be another 3 series BMW.
    As a footnote- I did visit a Honda showroom during my search for a good car. I was well aware of their reliablity ratings. They had a repair shop there and the engineers were working on fixing broken Hondas. The cars in the lot didn't
    "speak" to me the way the 325i did so I didn't even bother to test-drive one.
    You pay your money and you take your choice.
    What do you think you will buy once you get rid of the BMW?
  • hanhthhanhth Member Posts: 5
    Hi:
    I just got a 325i without sport package, eon Lights and AK Sound System. My question is Can I order a AK system and eon lights after delivery? I got 400 miles on my car right now. If I get 17in rims and tires, what do I do with your 16in rims and tire? Or will I be better getting a after market sound system? Factory sound system on 325i is really weak (My opinion). Thanks.
    Thomas
  • camnellum1camnellum1 Member Posts: 19
    Does anyone know what the paint base coat color is for the 3-series sedans? I drive 99% highway miles in my current car (which is black). The base coat color is white which causes chips to really stand out. I have been told that some european cars have a black colored base coat. So I would like to know for sure so I can order one of two colors in metallic paint. My first choice in Titanium Silver...however if the base coat is black I might still have the same problem as my current car. If this is the case, I will order the Orient Blue metallic, and if it is white I will order the silver.

Can anyone help or point me to an appropriate resource? Thanks in advance for any help! (I have a call in to the dealer but have not heard back yet)
  • gal3gal3 Member Posts: 5
    The invoice price on options is about 85% of the msrp. In some cases it is a little more because they round up.

I went to Tate they told me 2000 over invoice. However VOB in Rockville priced at 1500 over and Northwest, if I remember correctly, was 1800 over.
  • bmwknightbmwknight Member Posts: 12
    I just ordered a 325i last week and was wondering if anyone knows now that the fog lights are standard equipment on the 325i, will the heated mirrors and heated windshield washer jets are also going to become standard equipment?
  • dannyledannyle Member Posts: 43
    So in March Sport package is going to become standard .. so I have heard ..

Does that mean that the only other optional package is the premium package ???

Where can i find out more info for what is standard after the March production ..

thanks in advance
  • hzhaohzhao Member Posts: 28
    To bmwknight:

Form March production and on, the Fog lights and heated mirrors are standard. The heated wash jets are part of Cold Weather Package.

To Dannyle:

Sports Package are NOT standard, but the sport suspension will be standard on 330. The Sports Package price will reduced to $2,900 from $3,850.
  • gtbrokergtbroker Member Posts: 3
    i bought a 01 330i in november with sp,pp, cd, silver with grey. i bought it from a dealer out of my city over the phone because dealers in my city didnt want to work with me. because of this i didnt get to ask my salesperson the following questions. i would appreciate anyone's feedback on this.

1) scheduled oil change isnt until 15k. i would like to have it changed twice and maybe three times in 15k. will the dealer pay for this? if not, what is the benefit/risk of taking it to a non-dealer bmw repairshop to do the work?

2) what cleaner and conditioner is good to use on the leather, where can i buy it, and how often should i apply it.

3) i love the wheels the 330 sp provides but they
    are a pain to keep free from brake dust. has anyone come across a good spray on/hose off cleaner that requires minimal effort.

4) i read in the manual that there are sensor that check tire pressure. is this true. i check the tire once a month and i notice one was a little low, but no warning light had come one.

i absolutely love my new 330 and have put 5k+ miles on it in 3 month, which is alot considering i live 6 miles from work. i would encourage anyone looking at the 3 series to spend the money to get the 330 with sp and pp. it was well worth the money for me.

thanks in advance, and sorry for the long post.
    Can someone tell me the color of the exterior in the 2001 3 Series Sedan Brochure?

The salesman 'thought' it was Steel Blue Metallic but it sure looks like Orient Blue Metallic. Unfortunately the dealer had neither color in stock.

Thanks!!
  • neomatrixneomatrix Member Posts: 3
    Howard, thank you for your information about the price reduction from the March production. If I understand you correctly, you really meant "Premium Package" from $3850 to$2900, right? You typed it as "Sports Package".

So looks like the HK radio, power seat, fog light, and heat mirror will all be standard right? Did I miss anything else?
    In addition, does the price reduction apply to all the 3 series or only to 330i?

Thanks a lot.
  • always49always49 Member Posts: 29
    Does anyone know how to DIY the oil change for 2000 328i sedam? I appreciate!

---------------------------------
    Owner of 2000 328i Sedan
    blk/blk Prm pkg/spt pkg
  • fjm1fjm1 Member Posts: 137
    basecoat color is white BUT when scratched the basecoat quickly discolors to brown/black on areas that are exposed to alot of road dirt (hood, roof)

I got keyed and the area on the hood turned black while side stayed white (on red car)

I know that doesn't help one bit!

OIL QUESTIONS: Why change sooner? Don't be scared, the manufacturer knows what their talking about. The BMW has an 8 quart capacity, full synthetic oil and a pre-assembly run in engine. Dealer won't pay for excessive oil changes. If you choose to do yourself filter is a drop in easily accessable in engine bay and reset tool for E36 works.
  • lovebmwlovebmw Member Posts: 4
    Thanks beetlebug62 for your suggestions on the snow tires and clarifying the issue about tires and rims. I drove a 2000 323i coupe and was comparing the ride with my sedan with sport pkg. Once both cars are at 35 mph the ride seems to be very similar. It is until I get to that speed that it feels like I have to press down a lot harder on the gas than I did on the coupe.

I will talk to a service advisor about the oil change that you feel may reduce the engine noise.

Here's another funny thing about the car. When it comes to a full stop, it makes this noise like I am just landing a small plane. Any idea why?

Hey thanks again for your input, really appreciated.
  • hzhaohzhao Member Posts: 28
    Yes. You are correct. Thanks for the correction. Besides the list of standard equipment you stated. 330i also gets sports suspension. There is some difference between 325 line. But, in general, they all gain more standard equipment and reduce the price on both PP and SP options. You should be able to get more detail info from www.bimmer.org.
  • kominskykominsky Member Posts: 850
    The car in the Sedan Brochure is definetly NOT Orient Blue. Orient is about as dark of a blue as you could get without it being black. I believe it is Steel Blue. As of March build dates, Topaz Blue is a "standard" color choice for the sedan. It is the color of the Coupe on the first five or six pages of the coupe brochure. If you would like to see pics of a previously custom ordered sedan in this color, send me an email at kominsky@lucent.com
  • hopper1hopper1 Member Posts: 25
    We are getting ready to order a new 3 series. Last BMW was a 1992 325i 5 speed. We want a ix because we live in mid west. If we go with 330xi any comments regarding going with 5 speed as auto. Loved the 5 speed in our 1992 but many talk about tiring of the shifting. I've had SUB's currently a Lexus RX300. Have gotten spoiled with the auto but this SUB isn't a BMW. How have others felt about going with auto in the 330xi. I have been unable to drive 330xi because no dealer has them in stock. Have also considered a 325xi 5 speed but know that we don't want 225xi with auto. I know that it would lack the power we want. Anyone have a comment on 330xi auto or 5 speed as 325xi 5speed. Would appreciate any comments re: 5 speed as auto.
  • footprintsfootprints Member Posts: 28
    It has been six days since I had my 325i and it still amazes me that I have it. Wow, I'm still trying to get use to the torgue.
    Is it impossiable to install a key ignition (I am not certain of the actual name) on a 5spd. I know that most vehicles that have them are automatic but, I have never placed any of my other 5spd cars in gear?
    Would it be safe to have someone other that an authorized BMW dealership to install it?
  • astrochimpastrochimp Member Posts: 2
    I'm planning on buying a 330i. I'm curious to hear from anyone who has had experience with the European delivery program. Can't wait to hear!
  • stokdgsstokdgs Member Posts: 65
    Mitch,
    I have both brochures for '01 3 series Sedan and Coupe. Kominsky is right, the Sedan color on first few pages is Steel Blue Metallic Code 372. The Orient Blue, Code 317, is very dark blue and to me didnt look good in the sun.

The Coupe brochure first few pages is a 330I painted Topaz Blue Metallic Code 364. This blue is very nice looking in my opinion, in the sun, appears to be lighter shade then Orient and with more metallic and clear. Its very eye catching, along the line of the blue the Lexus IS300 uses, but not as light as the Lexus color. The Orient Blue to me is too dark to be interesting, might as well get black - either color will be fun to keep clean..
    Good luck with your choice..
    DanF
    My dealer told me that he had gotten some complaints initially about the cd player skipping - have any of you felt that way? I think the In dash CD player looks very sleek compared to the standard cassette player. Just wanna make sure...
    Also, if you had a choice would you get Fold down seats or On board computer? Some of you might think that this is a dumb question and I am thinking ahead from the resale perspective.
    Thanks a lot in advance
  • kominskykominsky Member Posts: 850
    Are you talking about a remote starting system? All newer manual tranmission vehicles have a switch which prevents them from being started without the clutch being pushed in. This switch could probably be bypassed, but I highly doubt you'll find someone who would do it for you. I know I wouldn't want to get sued when your car went through the living-room wall. :-)
  • dantlodantlo Member Posts: 106
    I have fold down seats and on-board cpt on my previous 325is 2dr and my wife's current 528i. We hardly use the fold-down seats but the on board cpt we use all the time,very useful especially when you are low on gas!!

I just bought our 4th BMW 2001 325i 4dr sport pkg.
  • brislance1brislance1 Member Posts: 87
    I ordered and took delivery on my 323 Sedan in June. I ordered it with fold down seats because I thought the trunk was small and we might need more room on our trips between our homes in the North and Arizona. So far we have never used them. I also have the computer. Get the computer!
    This board has been very helpful so far - Thanks !! - I have one more question ...
    The way I have my options set up right now and how the pricing is working out, it boils down to this .....
    I can get Premium package by paying approx $500 more than I am currently. The options I have right now are wood, sunroof, armrest and on-board computer. As you can see, the only thing missing from the PP is Power seats. Should I just go ahead and spend the $$$ now? I think it would be better from a resale perspective. What do you think?
    Thank you again