Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 3-Series 2005 and earlier

Comments

• dantlodantlo Member Posts: 106
    Jay103, just go with the Premium pkg. I have sport pkg on my 325i. But everytime after I drove our 528, I kind of like to have the power seat because my wife and I switch off cars sometimes. If you are the only driver for your car,it is ok. But with all the little otions you are getting, I would just get the Premium pkg.
  • hellihelli Member Posts: 8
    I have the 330i witht PP, Jet Black. and the same wheels you have. I would not reccommend using any spray on hose off cleaners. I believe there is a clear coat on the wheels and the spray on hose off cleaner is caustic and will ruin the clear coat. The cleaner will rapidly cause the clear coat to peel off. That surely would look worse than just leaving them dirty all the time!
    I have found when cleaning the wheels a dust pan brush works pretty good but not the best. I did find that wearing a pair of soft suede work or gardening gloves works good. Just put them on and dunk your hands in your warm soapy water and you can use your fingers to get in between all the spokes. It sounds like a lot of work but it goes pretty fast. I use a fresh pail of very warm (almost hot) water and more soap than I would use if I were washing the rest of the vehicle.
    Another method I thought of would be to get a brush similar to a shaving creme brush and cutting the bristles down a little to make them stiffer.
    Happy motoring!
  • millerro3millerro3 Member Posts: 136
    FWIW, I think you should get the prem. pkg. as dantlo suggests. That would take care of everything you have listed, as well as adding in the power seats and auto-dimming rearview mirror. Also the car would come WITH the armrest already installed--so you wouldn't worry about the service dept. maybe screwing something up.

I bet that 3-4 years down the road you'll start seeing in NADA and KBB deductions for a 325i without a prem. pkg., if resale factors in at all.

Enjoy your new car though, you will love it!!

Rob
    the cost of the prem pkg is now $2170, all the better

Rob
  • jay103jay103 Member Posts: 4
    Premium pkg $2170 ? Was that a typo? I thought the MSRP on PP was $2700 and invoice was $2300. Am I mistaken? Plz clarify ! Thanks
  • astrochimpastrochimp Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone done the European Delivery Program? Or know anyone who has? How did it go?

Thanks
  • bimmer6bimmer6 Member Posts: 1
    I live in Portland and the dealer is telling me for a 325ix that it's $2600 over invoice. Can anyone tell me if this is good or not. He also mentioned that the PP is coming down from $3500 to $2700. Any pricing info or lease deals would be helpful. Like anyone else I would hate to overpay.
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    Astrochimp,

I have not personally done it, but am considering it for a fall delivery on a 2002 540i. Many friends have gone the Euro route - I live in DC and it's a more common practice than in other areas of the country. There is also an even more heavily discounted "diplomatic" delivery program (Makes me want to get my wife to take a part time job with the State Department!).

From everyone I know who has gone Euro, it's worked out well. Have a dealer explain the steps - I'd likely forget something. You do have to pay in advance of getting your car, and you need to have the patience to order the car, pick it up 8+/- weeks later and then have it take 45+/- days to be shipped back.

Also, I had always been under the impression that Euro prices are non-negotiable. Not so. Check out www.eurobuyers.com for prices and discount info. I don't know anyone who has used this particular buyer's service, so I can't endorse. However, it did equip me with the info to negotiate a $2,000 discount off the Euro "list" price for a 540i 6-speed from a dealer looking to increase thier sales. I'm probably going to wait for the 2002 model, but have been promised a similar discount when I order.

Good luck.
  • hellihelli Member Posts: 8
    Has anybody installed electronic options themselves? Is there a place where you can purchase these components to do it yourself? As you know the vehicle is pre-wired for a lot of stuff. I am a new first time BMW owner and have a lot to learn about them. I am impressed with the information that is shared in this forum. For those who you remember my posts from last week, I seem to have my problems resolved. Hopefully.
    Thanks in advance for you help.
  • driver36driver36 Member Posts: 57
    I am living in Union city and wonder if anyone bought their 325i at around $1,800 over invoice in the bay area. I would appreciated if you would post the dealer's name and location.
    Thanks in advance!
    Ooops!

You are right, the premium lists for $2700 and the invoice for it is $2295.
    I apologize for the wrong info there!

I still would strongly recommend getting the prem pkg though.

If you have any questions or want clarification with what you're getting from another dealer, feel free to e-mail me, my e-mails in my profile.

Otherwise, Good Luck with the new car!!!
    8-}

Rob
  • boscojiboscoji Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone have any nubers for the 2001 330i to lease, with prem pack, cold pack, sport pack, hk stereo and xenons and automatic?
  • laxmanglaxmang Member Posts: 3
    Hi,

I am planning to be first time owner of bimmer.
    I was checking on edmunds and they had both invoice and MSRP prices for all the options. Does that mean option pricess are also negotiable. For example they PP with invoice price 2940 vs 3500 MSRP (ie before March Production).

I would appreciate any clarification on this.

thanks,

Laxman
  • neomatrixneomatrix Member Posts: 3
    Hello, everyone, I would appreciate your help regarding the reduced prices of
    Premimium Package and Cold Package after March production:

1. On the 325i/330i sedan, I heard that the invoice price of PP is now $2295(MSRP $2700).
    But how about the 325Ci coupe price? Currently the PP of 325ci coupe is $1785(MSRP $2100), what is the reduced price of PP for the 325ci coupe?

2. My dealer told me that the HK radio(invoice $575, MSRP $675) is NOT a standard equipment on the 325i/325ci series, but will be a standard equipment on the 330i/330Ci series? Is this correct?

3. As regarding the insurane of sedan vs coupe, is there a big difference in insurance premium?

4. How is the leatherette vs leather? I can have either one, but not sure what's the big difference, or how much care you have to give to the leather(I am always short on time:-)

5. I have a six-month old son, I do not know if I purchase the coupe, will that be a real pain to put him in the back seat and out? What is your experience?

Thank you very much for your help! Very much appreciated.

NeoMatrix
  • hzhaohzhao Member Posts: 28
    To: neomatrix,

The first two question you have, the answer is correct. There is no change on PP for coupe and HK audio become standard for 330i/xi/ci only.

As far as insurance, in general, coupe will cost more than sedan, but it will have lots to do with you area and past record and age group etc.

I prefer leather. It is far easier to care and last longer.

If you have a six month boy, get sedan. Especial when he gets two years old, you are going to kick yourself without having other two doors :-) I have been there and done that.

Good luck with your car shopping.
  • neomatrixneomatrix Member Posts: 3
    Howard, thank you SO MUCH for your help. Very much appreciated!!!

I will be visiting the dealership this afternoon to get my 325i. Wish me luck:-)

NeoMatrix
  • ahuiahui Member Posts: 15
    I have read some owners have trouble with fitting baby seats in the back. Do any of you have any comments? Does the sport wagon have more space?
  • mschukarmschukar Member Posts: 351
    I don't think the wagon has more rear seat room than the sedan. I have heard complaints about the low door opening on the sedan (slopes down towards the rear of the car) which probably isn't the case on the wagon. Check it out at the dealer.

I did verify that the sedan has a new child seat attaching system (called LATCH or ISO-Fix) which is two metal latches near the junction of the seat bottom and back. A compatible child seat would have two hooks to secure to these latches.

-Murray
  • cindy00cindy00 Member Posts: 1
    Help! I'm in the market for a new car and I'm thinking of purchasing a BMW 3-series over the Volvo S60 (I've been a Volvo owner for several years). I've never owned a BMW because I have always been told that they cost a lot of money to maintain. Can anyone tell me if this is a myth or reality? The more I drive the BMW, the more I want to own one. But first, I need some cold hard facts, other than what the dealer is telling me. Thanks for your feedback.
    Cindy :)
  • stokdgsstokdgs Member Posts: 65
    Welcome to the forum !! Im a new owner of an '01 325I Sedan, and from what Ive learned from alot more experienced and knowledgeable people here, the car is probably no less reliable than any of the top engineered Bavarian cars out there today. The warranty is 3 years/36k and they will pick up everything including oil changes, etc... I cant remember reading alot of negative things about the different year vehicles included here, but I can remember reading a long time ago they had a problem with the coating inside the cylinder bores and replaced those engines with new. There are probably not alot of manufacturers out there that would go that that length to take care of things like that, most would probably hope the customers would just "live with it" or something... You have been driving a very nice car in the Volvo, and the new ones are just really great looking. However, as you probably already know, there is nothing that rides and handles like the BMW in any year/series... I too, looked at alot of different cars for about a year, and drove all of them and when I finally got to the BMW, it exceeded my expectations. I recently took this car on a 4k round trip through 4 states and back and it was the best trip I have ever had in a car, in every respect, mileage, steering feedback, ride, handling, fun things to play with, sound system, overall comfort of the seats, and of course, power to pass, play, etc... : - ) Good luck in your search !!
    DanF
  • dl7265dl7265 Member Posts: 1,381
    When I was comparing cars I called all the service departments to get accurate figures, what I recall is the Volvo had the highest ! cost of maintence of all the cars, IE BMW, Lexus, MB etc... this was 1.5 years ago so I don't now if that has changed, also BMW along with other's offer full maintence included now. So it may be cheaper than your current vehicle. Also my insurance is cheap on a 323I due to the safety features.

Happy hunting
    DL
  • larryintnlarryintn Member Posts: 103
    The warrantee is 4yr/50,000mi. The 3yr/36,000mi is just for the full maintanance which pays for the scheduled maintanance.
  • jhdevoyjhdevoy Member Posts: 33
    I've ordered a 2001 330xi with the Sport Package and a friend of mine told me that it comes with a much stiffer suspension, so I'll feel every pothole on the road. Is this the case??
    To jhdevoy:

330xi does not have "Sport suspension" due to its all wheel drive configuration. The "Sport Package" for AWD is different from the one for the 330i sedan, mainly without the "Sport suspension". That's why the AWD "Sport Package" is $900 vs. 330i "Sport Package" is $1,200. you will not feel any difference in driving feel with or without AWD "Sport Package". The only thing you get is 3-spoke steering wheel, sport seat, different rims (with all season tires) and areo body kit (with different shape fog lights).
  • yibinyibin Member Posts: 3
    I just picked up my 2001 325i last month and it's absolutely a beauty. However, I am little concerned with one "minor annoyance" - the car idles rough. I have the automatic transmission and whenever I come to a full stop with transmission still on "D", I can feel the engine is not running at a constant speed and I can actually tell from the speedometer on dashboard. Sometimes it's more obvious and sometimes it's less obvious, but it's always there.

Two weeks ago, I took my car to the dealership and have it checked. The service receipt says "no fault was found and the car is running OK now". I don't know what they did but the car was indeed OK, at least for several days. The problem has come back now.

Should I be concerned with this? What are the possible reasons for my car to do that? I would like to take the car back to the dealership again, but before I do that I want to get educated on this board first.

You help and advice are highly appreciated.
  • sarah1197sarah1197 Member Posts: 2
    I don't own a BMW but I have an Infiniti Q45 that is doing the smae thing your car is doing. You said that the problem went away for a few days..let me ask you, did you fill up your gas tank after leaving your dealership..and when the gas level went down in the tank you started having the same problem..I know it may sound a little strange but I had this problem with my car for 2 months now..my mechanic gave up on determining the cause..we replaced the brake booster..we thought that it was related to vaccum leak somewhere..did a total tune up including changing a fuel filter and it did not help..my rpm fluctuate like crazy sometimes when the car comes to a stop that it almost cuts off and in indeed it does cut off sometimes..but never the gas tank is full or at least 2 thirds full..strange..isn't? my theory is my fuel pump works better when there that extra help from gravity..i.e full gas tank..anyhow, check and see if you can hear noise coming from the under the rear seat where the fuel pump might be..this noise can be heard more when in park and the car is running..good luck..I thought my experience might give you a clue..
  • spitfiremk5bspitfiremk5b Member Posts: 1
    Hi!

I have a 1985 318I with 100,000 miles. The car looks great. 99% of the time it runs great. 1% of the time, without warning, it does an Elvis - it shakes - rocks and rolls. Sudden and rapid losses of power.

This severely effects my appreciation of it's otherwise fine driving qualities and appearance.

Mechanics are mystified. It just spent 2 months at a BMW dealership, and of course it acted fine for them.

Does anybody have a clue?

Help me please!
  • ringniringni Member Posts: 1
    Hello, I am in the process of purchasing my first BMW. It's a 2001 325i sedan, metallic paint, premium pack, automatic, fog lights, in dash cd player, leather interior...I live in Northern California. The quoted price is $34,495 on a 36 month/12k miles per year lease. $2400 down and payments of $607 per month. What do you all think???
    To: ringni:

Currently, BMWFS is offering 0.0027 money fact on the lease of 3 series. The residual for 3 serieas is about 62% of MSRP for 36/12K. Base on that you should calculate out the rough figure.
  • tarunntarunn Member Posts: 8
    I read the past messages about the changes after March for the 330, does anyone here (ie Edmund's) know when the information will be put in the New Cars section?

Also, I posted this on the 5-series board, but now I want to hear the other side: 330 or 525? They are roughly the same price...
  • pql1pql1 Member Posts: 6
    Hi,
    Planning on purchasing '01 BMW 325i...have a question about the traction control. Is it worth purchasing the AWD for the 325i even though the traction control is standard. Would like to skip this option if possible but will consider it if the safety performance is enhanced greatly with the AWD. Please let me know...thanks!
    To Tarunn:

I have driven both 330 and 525. For driving presure, I will go with 330 ! If you need room to carry anyone other than yourself and be comfortable, than go with 525.

To: pql1:

If you are not living in the area that have to deal with a lots of snow/ice, than you can skip the AWD option. You won't know any of difference between these two other than the steering on AWD feels a little (I mean a LITTLE) heaveier.
  • rpadillarpadilla Member Posts: 53
    Posted this on Part 2...thought I'd try here as well...

Currently own a 1999 Land Rover Discovery SD and am looking to replace -- or, should I keep Grace and bring a new BMW home? Ok, except for the hauling capacity of the LR, and its off-road ability, any reason for me to be looking at the xi vs. the i? What about the leather vs. the leatherette?

And, does anyone have any experience dealing with Dreyer Reinbold in Indianapolis?

All opinions are appreciated..... Ray
  • gal3gal3 Member Posts: 5
    If you are going to keep your car a long
    time than get leatherette it holds up a lot
    better and is much easier to keep.
    I looked at both and could hardly tell the
    difference so I got leatherette. Leatherette
    is slightly harder. I've seen leather on my
    friend's car and it is all scratched up and faded
    after about 4 years and he is very particular with his car.

I finally ordered at Tischers in Maryland --
    orient blue, sand leatherette, awd, pp, sp, cwp, cd, and hk
    with mats and locks for 33500. Norman was great!
    I don't have a build date yet but it should be here in May.
    CAN"T WAIT!!!!!!
  • hopper1hopper1 Member Posts: 25
    Does anyone have information regarding a facelift for the 2002 3 series BMW. I was on another BMW site and saw where there was a post that 2002 3 series will get facelift. If so, where was this published. Has anyone seen pictures. If there is going to be a 2002 facelift I would strongly considre putting off ordering a 330xi until the 2002 come out. Also does anyone know when BMW starts taking orders for 2002 and when the 2002 will be at the dealers. Thanks!!!!!!
  • broometbroomet Member Posts: 2
    After doing a lot of daily reading on this message board, you guys have got me hooked on a 3 series. I've been sitting hear reading & salivating over everyone's new purchases & such and I realize that I've just got to get one. I would love to get a new 330i but my pocketbook (& wife) prohibit such an act. So I am turning to the used car market looking for a '99-'00 328i. If anyone is looking to sell theirs, let me know. These are some of the specifics I'll be looking for:

Ext. Color: Steel Blue (or Silver)
    Int. Color: Black
    Trans: Manual
    Sport Package
    Other nice-to-have's:
    Premium package
    HK stereo
    Cold weather package

I live in Minneapolis but I'm willing to travel anywhere for the right car. You can email me at broomet@bsci.com.

Thanks!
    Tom
  • goody4goody4 Member Posts: 55
  • steve1526steve1526 Member Posts: 22
    Can anyone confirm they have been offered a 0.0027 rate on their lease?
    Yes. I was offered 0.0027 in Cleveland, OH.
  • mtl3mtl3 Member Posts: 22
    Yibin,

Don't know if this is relevant but, my 2000 323i had a period of lethargic pickup and once even died at a stoplight.

Anyway, went to dealer and they replaced the O2 sensor and some sensor on the transmission (I'm away from home right now and don't have the actual info). This fixed it right up and now it's its' usual peppy self.

I've had O2 and EGR valve problems on previous cars(not Bimmers) and they sometimes caused the symptoms you describe.

Take it to the dealer and take the service advisor for a ride so they can see for themselves. That isn't normal and should be fixed.
  • footprintsfootprints Member Posts: 28
  • footprintsfootprints Member Posts: 28
    Sorry for the semi-post error. My quick response to the enter button got a hold of me.
    I have passed the 500mls mark and time to test my baby!!
    Is there a gasoline that BMW recommends over all pump stations? I purchased 93'Octane from Amoco and I don't think my baby likes it much. He seems to be louder and not as smooth when shifting from 1st gear up to third gear.
    I'm aware that the 3series booklet states that they recommend mobile oil but nothing mentioned about the gasoline. Any information would be greatly appreciated by both Logan and I!!
  • bmwknightbmwknight Member Posts: 12
    I was wondering if anyone has any idea of how accurate is the Order Tracking function on the Owner's Circle. I ordered a 325i two weeks ago and my salesman told me that the production date for the car was not until the second week of March, around 3/11 or 3/12; but a recent look at the order tracking function said that the vehicle was already in a Production status. Any input will be welcomed.
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    Lots of possibilities here... I would check the following: fuel pump relay, coil, coil wire, distributor cap and rotor, and all electrical grounds in the engine compartment.
  • beetlebug62beetlebug62 Member Posts: 72
    <<#804 of 806  How accurate is the Order Tracking? by bmwknight  Feb 22, 2001 (04:00 pm)

I was wondering if anyone has any idea of how accurate is the Order Tracking function on the Owner's Circle. I ordered a 325i two weeks ago and my salesman told me that the production date for the car was not until the second week of March, around 3/11 or 3/12; but a recent look at the order tracking function said that the vehicle was already in a Production status. Any input will be welcomed. >>

...I have heard people's experience varies. However, I have also heard that when Owner's Circle says your car is in Production status, doesn't actually mean your car is on the assembly line.
  • beetlebug62beetlebug62 Member Posts: 72
    <<#801 of 807  Which Gasoline by footprints  Feb 22, 2001 (01:50 pm)
    Sorry for the semi-post error. My quick response to the enter button got a hold of me.
    I have passed the 500mls mark and time to test my baby!!
    Is there a gasoline that BMW recommends over all pump stations? I purchased 93'Octane from Amoco and I don't think my baby likes it much. He seems to be louder and not as smooth when shifting from 1st gear up to third gear.
    I'm aware that the 3series booklet states that they recommend mobile oil but nothing mentioned about the gasoline. Any information would be greatly appreciated by both Logan and I!! >>

...significant difference between fuels, especially not between premium fuels. Perhaps you just got a bad tankful. I'd try a different station.