Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 3-Series 2005 and earlier

Comments

• jasonkureejiijasonkureejii Member Posts: 210
    OK, I took off after work to the local gym where the streets are uneven and diveted for about 4-5 miles. I actually concentrated on the suspension and found that the sports suspension did pick up the unevenness....but not like any spine-numbing jack hammer...it simply gives you more feel for the road I guess whether you like it or not. I didn't notice it on the way back to Dallas through construction, but then again, I was traveling at a faster rate too. So I take back the comment about the "as Lexus" like ride. It is still surprisingly comfortable! I try to really concentrate on the "thud" heard by many in reverse, and I think I may hear it. I don't think I would notice it if I wasn't aware. During the test drive at the dealership, I asked my friend in the back seat to listen for it, and he thought I was paranoid, because he didn't hear it. I'll try to listen for it again later. I thought I heard the seat belt clicking but found out it was my work sachel zipper thinga-ma-jiggies. The engine temp has been almost directly in the middle the whole time I've had it. I thought there might be a problem. It cooled off last night, and this morning, it sat just above blue...I guess I'll watch for that for awhile. The brake dust is starting to accumulate....guess what....whoppdy-doo! I am having so much fun driving, I look forward to that time between work and home! I'm sure it will wear off sometime, but let it be much later. BTW, I still have to look back at it everytime I walk away from it! Hopefully, my girlfriend will soon tire of opening and pushing everything in the car! I did accidentally kick it above 5000 for a moment on the way to work but I doubt I hurt it any. It is definitely difficult to keep it below 4500, but there is more than enough room for me to play on occasion until then.

aaron,

How is that Zaino product working? Eventually, I'd like to see how that product works out. Anything to provide another good seal would be fantastic. I'd like to keep the dash the way it is, that is, non-glossy. What's a good product for that...how about those Armor-All wipes? If anything, I love the new-car-with-leather scent more than anything.
    A coworker has a steel blue/sand combo, and it looks very classy! I happened to think my steel gray/black combo looked aggressive! Leather/leatherette, stock system/HK, non-SP/SP, vanilla ice cream/bubble gum ice cream...I don't think anyone really gets upset here over opinions on very subjective matters...at least I hope not, and that's why I like it here....
  • shap1shap1 Member Posts: 77
    I have the steel blue/sand combo and it looks great, especially after a couple of coats of Zaino. The grey interior would look good, too. I avoided black because it's so incredibly hot here most of the year.
    Hey, can you give some pointers on the Zaino products...and possibly a link?
  • burrsrburrsr Member Posts: 255
    It's been another long while since posting, but I've been trying diligently to keep up, what with the goings-on over in the "BMW Thing" forum. My wife and I are also looking at bigger/better houses, which tends to take up a lot of free time, especially on weekends...

Anyway, a couple of observations:

- Someone referenced (a few hundred posts back) a 328i with Step. I believe this is an anacronym. The 328 was produced thru 2000 only, at which time the Step hadn't been offered -- Steps debuted in 2001. So a 328 with Step would be an impossibility, unless there were special circumstances...

- I also saw a reference to getting PP and leatherette as an option combo. The PP INCLUDES leather (at least it did in 2001), so disjoining the two would have to be a special order, if it's possible (maybe it is for 2002).

Kominsky: regarding BMW manuals. I used to have a 1995 GS-R that had a clutch/shift mechanism that could not have been any more perfect. The clutch was light, and take-up was short. Engagement was very linear, right in the middle of pedal travel where you'd expect it, and not grabby. Clutch felt the same at Mile 42,000 (when I sold it) as it did at Mile 1. Gear shift movements were very short (shifter was more of a "joystick" than a gear shifter) and very precise -- slick with the right amount of notchiness feedback to ensure you were not "halfway in" a given gear.

By comparison, the Z3's clutch is a bit heavier, and clutch pedal travel is much longer. Engagement, however, is just as smooth and non-grabby as the GS-R's was. I think one of the difficulties people have is that the engagement occurs when the knee is bent more, making fine-tune movements a bit more demanding. Hondas tend to engage lower, requiring less leg and more foot, while higher BMW clutch engagements require more leg and less foot. As for the shifter action, both the throws and the shifter are longer. The shifter also lacks the same weight as the other controls, detracting from shift confidence somewhat. Also a bit more notchy, with a less positive gear engagement, as if the transmission fluid was replaced with molasses.

Overall, the Z3's is a very rewarding shifter to row, and the clutch take-up is as smooth (if longer) as anything available. Just not quite as daily-driver friendly as the GS-R's was, requiring a bit more leg and attention to the gear engagement (although I have yet to miss/grind a gear).
  • eugeug Member Posts: 46
    Edmunds has a message board for the product. Try http://www.zainobros.com . I've got two coats of Z2 on my two week old Titanium 325ci, giving it the advertised "wet" look. With pine trees all over my work parking lot, I got dusted with pine sap. I was able to easily wash it right off. Great stuff.
    Thanks for the info....
  • hippo168hippo168 Member Posts: 115
    Picked up my 325 today, steel grey, black 'ette, SP, xenon, moonroof, and CD. It is everything I expected, and more...

I spent 2 hours at the dealership (BMW of Peabody) to go thru all the paperwork and stuff. Service was great and they threw in free floor mats, gave me a "3" keychain, and a bmw baseball cap.

Like Jason said, it is really tough to keep under 4500rpm, but it has enough torque at the low end without having to down shift too much. Shifting is smooth, the sports seat is comfortable, even the sports suspension is good (I havent driven any Lexus or Benz so I can't compare). It is such a beautiful car that I had to look at it a few times before I got into my office building.

It feels so much different from my previous 89 Accord, which is pretty worn out. I just need to get use to it. Driving it more often will definitely help! : )
  • reubencahnreubencahn Member Posts: 102
    Steel blue with black is gorgeous and uncommon.

The zaino topic is filled with true zealots but you don't have to take it that seriously to get beautiful results that last much longer than wax. Zaino's own site, www.zainobros.com, has lots of info and is worth a look.

The 328 was offered with step the latter half of the model year.
    BTW, great color combo, I must say!
  • s852s852 Member Posts: 1,051
    Leather is additional charge on top of the Premium Package on a 2001 325i. Maybe it is different on the 330i or other models.
    I'm pretty sure leather is part of the PP on 330i, because it already comes standard with power seats, on-board computer, HK, and the expanded interior lighting. They had to add something to the PP to make it Premium, I guess.
    Thanks for all the info.

I showed my car to some of my colleagues, and they all liked it, esp the color! Jason, that's definitely a good color combo... : ) Can't wait to try the xenons tonite.

the big silver sports wheels look extremely aggressive on the dark grey body. I wanted this car to be as sporty as possible, so I didn't pick those "premium" features such as wood trim, navigation, or heated seats, etc.

I'm planning to read the manual thoroughly, any suggestion on which part to pay more attention to??
  • aaron330iaaron330i Member Posts: 136
    The zaino is working splendidly, here's some pics:

http://www.printroom.com/ViewAlbum.asp?userid=aarona&album_id=32810

As for the dash, get some 303 Aerospace Protectant, it doesn't leave a gloss:

http://properautocare.com/303-16.html

I don't think Armor All wipes have the UV protection you want.

Also, get a few Miracle Towel micro fiber towels, they pick up dust and lint like you wouldn't believe.

I've been spending a lot of my time lately on the Autopia detailing forums at:

http://www.autopia-forums.com

Just be sure to protect your car now! Not after the paint's been damaged.

• daswolfdaswolf Member Posts: 43
    325i Orient Blue, PP, CWP, Xenon, CD, Step sand "ette.

Picked up from BMW of Peabody also. My sales rep spent about an hour going over the features with me. All the paperwork was already taken care of. Took about 30 seconds to feel at home in the new baby.

Man it feels great! Love the way the console seems to wrap around you. Like hippo, can't wait to try out those Xenons tonight. The test drive was nice, but driving your own is a real experience. Gotta go play with it some more now.

Hope you have fun with it tonight hippo.
    Thanks again to brave for all his help.
  • derprofiderprofi Member Posts: 250
    Someone posted a little while back that the 325i sport package for 2002 would have "Type 96" wheels. Does anyone have a link to a picture of that wheel style?
  • sunnybrooksunnybrook Member Posts: 74
    What exactly is leatherette? Is it similar to 'pleather'?
  • bmwagonmasterbmwagonmaster Member Posts: 150
    In the BMWCCA magazine "Roundel" August 2001 issue, there's a letter in the tech section about a xenon problem on a 1998 740i. Here's part of the Tech Editor's reply: "Is this car equipped with xenon headlights? If so, tell your dealership to read BMW Service Information Bulletin 63 08 98, which details the exact problem you're experiencing, and says that it may be caused by a faulty xenon headlamp control unit...The system is so incredibly complex that even an experienced technician could miss the problem."

I obviously don't know if this info applies to your recent xenon experiences, but it might help.
    And while I'm here, for ANYBODY reading this, you should seriously consider joining the BMWCCA-- even just to get Roundel. If you like this Board, you'll love the magazine!
    is worth every penny!
    daswolf,

Congratulations on yours too! Have fun!

aaron,

Thanks for the info on all the products! I'll take them in consideration...and yes, I agree...taking care of the exterior now will save you plenty later....

sunnybrook,

Yes and no. It is a vinyl leather that is similar to Montana leather in texture (not smooth...more ridges). You will most likely not tell the difference at first glance. Pleather is what I've seen on my girlfriend's '94 Altima, very plasticy, glossy and smooth. I think the leatherette is a bit glossy and of course does not feel the same, IMO....however, I really can't give you adamant reasons to spend ~$1400 on the leather. I did, solely because I love leather in cars.
  • rivers5rivers5 Member Posts: 4
    In case you are not aware, if you install any Dinan upgrades on your BMW, your car will not qualify for the BMW Owners Protection Program that guarantees used cars for 100,000 miles and you will receive a reduced trade in value. Dinan admits to this and the fact that they did not disclose it. BMW admits to this and states that they don't see a reason not to continue installing Dinan at their dealerships; thereby reducing the value of your car. Great country or what.
  • brave1heartbrave1heart Member Posts: 2,698
    I'm happy to hear that you guys picked up your beauties and are enjoying them immensely.
    daswolf, thank you very much for your kind words - I am happy that I have been able to help another brother in arms. I was at the dealership this morning between 10 and 11 to drop off the Shtroumpf for the retrofit and I talked with Mary Galvin for about 15 min. I told her I was very disappointed that she did not return my calls on the financing rate and she said she's been out for a couple of days. She also claims that contrary to what we've heard, the official rate is not 6.5%. I forgot to ask her what the rate was, though. I'm sorry I wasn't able to help you in that regard but it seems that you got about the same rate through another bank, right?
    Well, enjoy your cars - I wish you many safe, fun-filled miles and the best of luck to you.

P.S. It would be great if we all got together for a weekend drive with hippo, tchoo, and the other BMW owners in the Boston area some time this fall. We go to the Mohawk Trail in Western Mass every fall with my wife and we should all try to do something like that together. Can you imagine a dozen 3-series in a row going through a myriad of bright colors on a twisty, winding road - whoa!!
    I dropped off my car for a couple of days (retro, fan, etc.) and got a Saturn 4-cyl loaner. Drove it 180 miles from Boston to Albany, NY.. don't want to even start describing it. I am very unhappy thinking I'll have to live in it for the next few days. I miss the Shtroumpf tremendously. We'll be together on Saturday and nothing will separate us for more than a day (if that) ever again, Shtroumpf!! Just hang in there for the little surgery.

P.S. "The BMW Thing" still alive and kicking?!?
    I was in BMW of Peabody at that time too, until around 11:15. I think I saw you... : )
    in the service area and chatting with Mary in the guest area from about 10:30 till 11:30 or so. Bright orange/black/white polo shirt, tough to miss it. Stop by and say hello next time.
  • mmcbride1mmcbride1 Member Posts: 861
    Your significant other is more tolerant (to driving and motion sickness) than mine if you would be allowed to blast through curving roads with her in the car. My wife would be puking out the window in between yelling at me if I did that :)
    I was in BMW of Peabody at that time too, until around 11:15. I think I saw you... : )
  • roc50mgroc50mg Member Posts: 102
    bmwwagonmaster: thanks for the heads-up on the xenons. so far my lights are working again so i'll just see if it holds up.

i just bought the V1. i haven't really had time to test it out yet, but i'm having serious second thoughts about it. i read from other posts and other web sites that the passport 8500 was the best new detector out on the market now, and it's $299.00 ($100 less than V1). i'm gonna call up valentine tomorrow and see if i can return their unit. it's supposed to have a 30 day money back guarantee.

zaino: i just received my zaino. i'm gonna put it on in another week or two when i get a chance to wash my car. one thing though, the clay bar is a lot smaller than i thought it was going to be. i thought it was going to be the size of a chalkboard eraser at least, but it turns out they send you 2 tiny little clay bars the size of hotel bar soaps. is this gonna be enough for my whole car (330xi)? sure doesn't look like it right now.

driving: as some of you know, this bmw is my first stick shift car. as foolish as this may sound, i've always wanted a stick shift car, but was not able to afford any car on my own until now. i thought i better learn how to drive stick now in the bmw instead of learning it on a porsche or something like it down the line. well, yesterday, i thought i was beginning to get the hang of it, so as i was accelerating on to the highway going from 3rd to 4th, and then trying to go to 5th rapidly, i mis-shifted (i think i either didn't push the clutch completey prior to the shift or i moved the shift knob diagonally upwards and rightward at the same time instead of going completely to the right and the up) and felt that terrible gear grinding sensation shoot through my arm an into my body. ughh!!!! continued===>
    and then without noticing that my car was now in neutral i pushed on the gas and saw my rpms go way past redline. the really stupid thing is, after that I was so flustered that i actually went past redline briefly 2 more times, not realizing the car was still in neutral before I finally got myself together and got the car into gear. unfortunately, still going at about 55 to 60 mph, the gear i got into was 3rd and my car reved up to 3000 rpm before engine braking kicked in suddenly.

i'm sorry and ashamed to tell everyone on this board about the terrible treatment and dis-service i'm giving my brand new baby, but i thought i had to share my pain with you all so that i could get some guilt off my chest.

i also have to confess that although i'm not having as much trouble or fear as i used to driving my car, i have yet to have a whole day of stall-free driving. sometimes i feel like just going around the block once and parking the car back in my garage for the rest of the day just to say that i did have a stall free day.

i never expected driving stick to be so difficult. i thought it would be a few days of practice to get fairly good at it, but it's really a lot of practice and some art. for now, i will keep practicing and asking my friends who drive stick to give me advice, but to this day, i have not been able to fully enjoy driving my ultimate machine. one day.....
    That's plenty of clay...in fact, the only reason for the 2nd bar is for when you drop the first one.

Basically, flatten the bar out into a pancake, lub with a spray bottle mixed with water and Dawn or Z17 (I think that's the shampoo). As you use it, periodically fold it in half and keep folding it in half as you go and it flattens out.

One bar, provided you don't drop it, should last a long time.
    I mentioned this before, but you might consider renting a manual shift car from one of the cheapo rental car companies for a day or two of intensive learning. Of course, the car won't have the same "feel" as your baby, but it also won't be your baby suffering. Ever hear a Ford Focus at redline? It's not a beautiful sound, but it does the job. Been there, done that! (;>}
    I seriously can't think of a MUCH bigger punishment than putting a 3-series owner into a 4-cyl Saturn. I've been posting like crazy since 5 or so fearing that I have to drive back in it tonight. I'll see if I can get a couple of hours of sleep on my desk instead...
    check out the interview at bmwnation.com with the BMWNA Brand Manager for the M3. It'll give you something to dream about. (Only nightmare is that there's no plans for an M3 Wagon....).
  • cody17cody17 Member Posts: 11
    Just purchased a 2001 330i and love it! I was wondering if anyone has had a multi-disc cd changer installed in the trunk. I'm thinking about it, but not sure if a six disc Alpine that's recommended by BMW is worth it. Any comments would be appreciated.
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    I have two reactions to your post, one of which I'll keep to myself. The other is that you don't need to worry about the engine...there is a rev limiter that makes sure that you can't push it beyond the point of doing any damage...yes, this will be a couple of hundred rpm past the nominal redline on the tach, but not to worry. It's not especially wonderful to be hitting the limiter on a relatively new engine, but even that is not going to hurt much if you don't make a habit of it.

Finally, I have to observe that the advice to rent something cheap to do some intensive practice over a weekend sounds like a good idea...if you can find the right car. It will take some phone calls.

It's a rare driver who, if as brutally honest as you have been, has not missed a shift now and then. Since you are so determined to do this, you'll get good at it over time, and then wonder what the fuss was about.
  • derprofiderprofi Member Posts: 250
  • jrc330jrc330 Member Posts: 15
    1 out of three Nakamichi's have been coming back broken within 6 months and the disks can not be removed without sending the changer back to the factory. Stick with the trunk mounted Alpine. Sound is great.
  • genie1genie1 Member Posts: 398
    To all who picked up their cars over the last week or so. Happy motoring!
    Welcome to the Board as a new owner! A few people here, including myself, have installed the Alpine trunk CD changer themselves. You can buy it mail-order from a number of BMW parts dealers for about $500, including the necessary mounting kit and panel cover. Installing is not too difficult with standard hand tools. If you would rather have dealer install, there's been prices posted here from about $600-$800. Like jrc330 mentioned, the glove-box Nakamichi is not a good idea. Enjoy your ride...
    aaron,

I sent in for the Zaino products, including the leather conditioner (Z-10)...how is the leather conditioner? Does it leave that new leather scent and hopefully is it not too glossy? I tried to opened your pics, but the server failed.

Can anyone give me their take on downshifting techniques...I just want to ensure that I'm not doing too much, especially from 3rd to 2nd...BTW, everything with the car is just fantastic after one tank of gas. I wish I were driving right now!
    The leather conditioner is awesome! Once it's absorbed, your leather looks exactly the same...non-glossy. I love it.

One recommendation though, use the conditioner right away as I think it comes from the factory needing to have the oils replenished. The first time I conditioned my seats it just sucked up the Z10 like there was no tomorrow.
    jrct9454: thanks for your kind words of consolation. i'm just going to try and be more careful and avoid rushing myself to go for race car starts until i get more experience.

radar: anyone got any opinions about V1 vs. passport 8500???
  • jimbresjimbres Member Posts: 2,025
    Jason -

FWIW, I usually downshift when my engine speed falls below 1800 RPM. Please don't take this as a recommendation. It's just a longstanding habit of mine.
    Hey, I just read your post on your driving experience. Don't feel ashamed, man! Everyone has to learn at some point. I don't know of any rental places having manuals off the top of my head (smaller places may have them), but if you know someone who doesn't mind taking the time out and instructing you on his/her beater (an inexpensive A-to-B car), that would be fantastic. I'm no expert, but I had to start somewhere with someone instructing me...my Dad, who wasn't always the most patient person. Hell, it's been a year since I last drove stick, and I still had some butterflies on my first steep hill with the 325i! Practice and be much more conscious while your shifting....no one expects you to come out of the gates like Mario Andretti!

aaron,

Thanks for the previous links, too...hell, I'm even starting to get excited about giving the car an initial wash and polish!

jimbres,

Thanks for the input...that sounds reasonable...
  • genie1genie1 Member Posts: 398
    Does anyone know if the black (1998) 3-series has a clear coat or not? Sal Zaino says yes, my dealer said no. BMWNA said yes. (I'm thinking my dealer has no clue.)

My car has been attracting dust like filings to a magnet and it's been driving me crazy. I also have the most horrible water spots. Zaino's claims that the Silicone oil in regular polishes attracts dust (my experience seems to bear that out). So I'm ordering Sal's magic potions today in the hopes that my car stays glossy black.
    Your dealer has no clue. All BMW makes/models/colors since the 80s(iirc) have had a clear coat.