Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 3-Series 2005 and earlier

Comments

• ed_ph413ed_ph413 Member Posts: 17
    I just bought a set of M Spoke 68 Wheels with the 17" ContiSport Tires (standard on 330i SP) for my 2000 328i non-sport package. What tire inflation is recommended for these since these tire sizes are not posted on my door sticker.
  • derprofiderprofi Member Posts: 250
    I'm not exactly sure HOW I manged to post a message here that I intended for the "What is this BMW thing" thread, but I did. Sorry!
  • brave1heartbrave1heart Member Posts: 2,698
    I got my 325i back on Saturday morning and there are quite a few things that I'd like to share with you.

I got the steering retrofit (4/2 build). In short, no big difference. It feels a tad heavier, that's all. There is no improvement in the already great road feel - I have always claimed that the issue with post-January cars is not road feel but purely assist. I took out a June build 330ci out for a back-to-back comparison. The June build felt the same as my 325i before the retrofit. The retrofitted steering felt a bit heavier off-center, giving you a better sense for how much you're turning without looking at the wheel (slightly better on-center feel). However, the feel right in the center (within a 1-2 inch wheel turn) still feels a little vague and it seems to me that it should be more responsive than that. The biggest difference due to the retrofit is felt at high speed (>80 mph). At that speed, the steering tightens up considerably and responds to smaller steering inputs. There is, however, more wander at high speed than I'd like to see. The steering weight of my retrofitted 325i is much closer to the June build 330ci than the '99 323 with the original heavy steering that I drove a few months back. I'm not sure what to recommend to those of you considering the retrofit. If you have a 3-series with the really light steering (pre-January build), you will notice a significant positive difference, just like Kominsky described it a month ago. If you have a post-January build, you will only notice a minor positive difference. I thought that it would have been easy for me to go through the steering retrofit mentally but I have to admit that I was anxiously comparing the steering after the retrofit and I spent too much time overanalyzing the results. If you are happy with your car's steering, don't touch it or be prepared to endure some painful doubts. BMWNA made a mess out of this issue and although they managed to turn it around into good PR, the retrofitted steering is NOT the same as the original 3-series' heavy steering, such as that found on the '99 and '00 323 and 328 models.

I had to fight with the dealership to take another 3-series out for a back-to-back comparison. Was I asking too much you think? Maybe I have unrealistic expectations for what's reasonable but it seems to me that there is lots of room for improvement in BMW Peabody's service. It has been my experience so far that being very polite with them takes you only so far. Insisting and holding your own works much better. It should not have to be that way.

After sensing that a BMW owner was going to make a scene right in the middle of the showroom on a busy Saturday morning, they put me in a 330ci step and although I did not ask for it, they told me I could take it out by myself for as long as I needed to. I only drove it for 5-10 min - the step is exceptionally smooth but no fun :o( The car had plenty of power on tap and I was able to get a good feel for its performance capabilities. At any RPM level, it's like punch the gas and you take off immediately. The 325 typically hesitates if you depress the accelerator all the way when the RPM's are below 2K. There is a huge difference between the 325 and 330 below 3K. However, past 3K RPM's, the 330 felt just marginally faster than the 325 and they both pull with relentless determination.

I finally started using the V1 radar detector that I bought a month ago. I have not installed it the way I want it (no time) but at least I am using a thin phone cord instead of the coiled cord. It is almost invisible against the black interior background and especially if you don't know it's there. So far, all I can say is "Buy it". In and around densely populated and especially commercial areas, it is totally useless. However, out on a rural highway, it is tremendous help. The detection range is probably longer than what most people need and it has great rear detection as well. I never thought the directional arrows would be so helpful. It is enormous help knowing where the signal is coming from. It is very comforting seeing the arrows indicate that you are passing by the cause of alarm, which you most often do not see. The bogey counter is also great and very helpful in determining the likely cause for alarm. Mounting the V1 (or any other detector) on the visor is a big no-no for the 3-series. It renders the visor obsolete but most important, you cannot easily see the warning lights and info up there. Mounting it way up on the windshield is excellent - the suction cups are behind the blue tint line and the V1 unit itself is right underneath the tinted line. You cannot see it at speed and it is barely visible from outside when the car is motionless. Once I run the cord behind the panels and hook up the concealed unit, it will be totally invisible from outside. Do buy the concealed unit ($40) if you are thinking of buying the V1. In addition to being visible only to you, it will be on the dashboard in front of you, which is by far the best place to be looking for detection info. You don't have to take your eyes off the road/dash to find out what the beeps are telling you. In my limited experience with the V1 so far, I think it is unsafe to drive while looking up there for detection info and trying to interpret it at the same time. The concealed unit is more convenient, discreet, compact, and much safer. Unlike the built-in K40 radar detector, which is more than twice the price, you get the bogey count, the directional arrows, and the flexibility to use it with different cars. Even so, the V1 is no substitute whatsoever for you natural radar detection abilities (common sense). It is just a supplement that has to be used wisely and should not distract you from the road.

As a final note, I drove from Boston to Albany (170 miles) for work this morning. I've been doing it for 5 weeks now. I get reimbursed for the miles and the way I look at it, my company is paying me to drive my BMW. It is the type of work that I would have gladly paid for :o) Call me crazy but I am actually looking forward to my 2 1/2 commute. I am not at all a morning person but when I wake up at 5:45 AM, I am excited about the drive I have ahead of me. I get out of the car 2 1/2 hours later energized and with a smile on my face... I'd turn at least a couple of times to look at the Shtroumpf before I enter the office building. I guess it's some sort of a mysterious "BMW Thing" because I've never felt that way about any other car, except for that 911 that I once drove for a day.
  • whichone1whichone1 Member Posts: 11
    Can anyone with a 2001 325i let me know what the engine's RPMs are at 60 mph? I am curious if they are high if you can hear much engine noise at that speed. Any help/comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
  • mfeldmanmfeldman Member Posts: 140
    Thanks for the write up. Can you tell I've been waiting for your steering review. Sounds like no downside for you. Wre you just anxious about the process. Actually I like the idea that the retro is a little less heavy than the original 328, whoch was a little slow for my taste.
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Hmmmmm, I REALLY like the heavy steering in my 328i, and if your retro-ed (is that a word?) steering is an example of what comes on the 2002 E46, I may decide to keep mine longer instead of swapping for a 330i when the lease comes due next year.

Thanks for the analysis.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    mfeldman - I know you were waiting for the write-up and I would've posted it on Saturday, except we had an RCN broadband install on Friday and they left us without a phone line or Internet connection of any sort. Dealing with them has been a total nightmare so far - I cannot figure out how this company is still in business. You're correct, no downside at all - it is mildly heavier in a positive way and definitely lighter than the 323/328. I like it better but like Shipo, I did like the original 323/328's steering feel even better.

Shipo, as I mentioned in my previous post, the retrofitted steering is heavier than the June build 330ci that I took out for a drive. I think the '02 models will be just like that car and if you like you 328's steering just the way it is, you will likely be very disappointed with the '02 models' steering. Again, my 325's retrofitted steering is closer to the June build models that it is to the original 323/328's steering.
  • tcn2ktcn2k Member Posts: 277
    01 325i with step at 60 is around 2300 rpm. I think since i never go that slow. Usually at around 80, the rpm on mine is about 2800 or 2900 or so.

shipo - iwould would go test drive the 02, since i think bmw probably took car of the problem since there are so many complaints. Although the new front end is ugly in my taste.....
  • allanoallano Member Posts: 175
    Since you are not getting any responses for a manual transmission, I'll add that the 325 wagon, which might have a higher rear-end ratio than a sedan, cruises around 3200-3400 at 74mph and somewhere around 2700 - 2900 at 60mph (I don't remember the exact numbers). In any case, you don't hear the engine (wind or road noise) at cruise, only when you accelerate.
  • bornagainbornagain Member Posts: 38
    I've got an Inspection 2 coming up at around 52K miles. Anybody know approx how much lunch money I need to save up??
    How much at BMW dealer vs authorized service center??
  • gurumikegurumike Member Posts: 442
    The BMW dealer IS the authorized service facility. An unauthorized service facility is unlikely to save more than $100. That said, I'm really not sure what the cost will be (300-400?)
  • bornagainbornagain Member Posts: 38
    Sorry...I meant independent I think, not authorized.
  • rpadillarpadilla Member Posts: 53
    Just wanted to thank everyone for their input, and I will let y'all know how it turns out esp. you, 325i87).

Kominsky -- u da man, thanks for your help! (haven't decided on the wheels yet...tire rack has yet to come back to me with a set of options).

genie1 -- where'd you go?

This car is absolutely amazing....wouldn't trade it in for the world (maybe an M3, though).
  • genie1genie1 Member Posts: 398
    I was treating my car with Zaino. Almost slid off the hood a couple of times. ;)

I haven't exposed it to the elements yet...will have to wait and see how it wears.

But it looks great so far.

Good luck with the snows. Let me know how they work out for you.

If you haven't been to Nashville, IN, check it out one weekend. Its a tacky tourist trap (no offense if you like that sort of thing) but the drive from Bloomington, IN is fantastic in a car that likes the curves.

Besides, the leaves should be turning soon.
    Since you have tried two wax types on your car, I'd be interested in learning if you believe Zaino is worth the 2nd effort.
  • killer99killer99 Member Posts: 21
    Is anyone else having difficulty with the Message Center in Town Hall... The message center is not indicating that there are new messages in my subscribed boards, when I can see elsewhere that there are new messages in said boards?

Shifty?
    Anyone?

Thanks
    I was set for this wednesday, but it's a busy week at work so the retro will be next week. Glad to hear that there is no braking vibration or alignment problems. Did they do a real alignment?

I hope the retro will cure the mystery left-right imbalance. If it doesn't I'll be real frustrated.

What I still don't get is if the 328, retro and 6-01 cars all have the same rack, why do they all feel different?

Take Care
    My 2cents so far on the wax vs polymer job on my BLACK bimmer:

Mothers:
    The Mothers system was labor intensive. My brother and I took an afternoon to complete. It lasted all of one month (more like three weeks). I had the worst time with water spots (not just from Toronto's polluted rainfall but also from just the weekly wash.

I didn't WANT to wash my car every week, but HAD to. This is because the car was soon covered in sticky dust even when it sat in my garage. I dreaded washing the car because I seemed to redistribute the dirt and add a splatter of water.

I'm not a neat freak but it really bothered me to see my beautiful car covered in dust and water spots.
    All I wanted was to reduce the water spots that I got when rain fell on the dust on the car. And a good coat of protection for winter. I don't mind the elbow grease initially as long as the followup is maintenance free.

Zaino:
    Spent a couple of hours Saturday and an hour Sunday Dawn/Z5/Z6/Z5 by myself. It took less effort but some planning around my weekend.

If you pick up one tip from this: Buy the white 100% cotton towels. (even the finest natural chamois only re-distributes the water on the car). I was extremely impressed with the absorbency of the Fieldcrest towels (two are plenty - one to soak up the water, the second to wipe completely dry).

After going through half the process, (I still need two more coats of Z5 on here before I switch to Z2) the car doesn't seem to be a dust magnet.
    The paint is slick to the touch, the towel just slides off after Z6 and the lint from the towels doesn't stick.

Overall -
    I will have to see how it does this week, but initial results have been as promised. It was worth the effort so far.

I will keep you posted as to how much dirt it picks up tomorrow when I drive it to work.

PS. It looks glossy in a nice different way to the wax too.

PPS. I'll admit, we may have been over enthusiastic with the wax and have applied too much (which could account for the stickiness). But I will have a hard time going back to a wax-based product from now on.
  • skorolskorol Member Posts: 11
    I want to ask anyone who has some mechanical knowledge for help. I have '00 328i manual. I gave my perfectly functioning car for service and inspection, and at the dealership they told me that the car needs an alignment since it pulls slightly to the right. I said fine, and they did an alignment for me. When I got the car back, it was shaking on smooth surfaces, and also felt unstable and was shaking on higher speeds as well. I took the car back to the dealership the next day, and when I got it back, it was even worse. Today I brought the car back to the dealership, and after examining it, they said that my rims were bent, and if I want to pay for it, they will change them for me, which will fix the car. I am no mechanic, but I realize that all problems started happening after wheel alignment, and there is not way rims have anything to do with that. Or if they do, then it means they bent them while doing the alignment. What could the problem be? Should I ask them to do the alignment again or what could go wrong during the alignment that made the care behave in a way that it does now. Thank you very much in advance.
  • jaw_mousejaw_mouse Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 325i step. At 60 mph flat highway crusing, the RPM was reading at 2100 or 2200. Road/engine noise is minimum.

peace!
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    I am extremely sorry to say that it appears that they damaged your car sometime when it was in their possession. This happens rarely, but it does happen, and it is unforgiveable that they are unwilling to own up to what happened. Obviously, a wheel alignment doesn't bend a wheel...much less more than one.

The Toyota dealer that services my mother-in-law's Corolla took it in for an alignment, and the mechanic involved managed to fail to set the brake when loading it on the rack, and if fell off the alignment rack, damaging both bumpers and doing other minor nicks to various parts of the undercarriage. To their credit, they quickly notified her of the incident, and immediately ordered parts to repair the car, and got her into a loaner while awaiting repairs. She was beside herself, but in the end the car was properly repaired and drove just fine right up to the time she sold it - bought a new one from the same dealer.

Certainly, wheel runout would easily explain your symptoms; equally certainly, this did not happen by magic...how you are going to get the dealership management to step up to the plate on this, when they seem to already have adopted a stonewall as the default approach, is a question I cannot answer.
    mfeldman - The service dept. told me that alignment on all 4 wheels was included as part of the steering retrofit. The car goes absolutely straight (under hard braking including) and it feels very balanced. There is no brake vibration of any sort at any speed. Not sure why all these 3-series feel different with the same rack. The simple answer would be that there is more that goes into the steering than the steering rack/box that is not included as part of the retrofit.

genie1 - I just picked up some Mother's wax from the dealer and was planning on waxing in a week or so. I've used Turtle carnauba wax maybe 1-2 times a year on my old car (the VR6) and I was happy with the results. It took me about 30-40 min applying and wiping it off by myself. I would have thought that Mother's is very similar, only better quality. I am definitely staying with wax vs. polymers, just wondering if there's a big difference between Meguiar's (?), Mother's, and other brands.

brake dust - If anyone saw the CART race yesterday, you would have seen the cloud of dust that comes out of the cars' brakes when they replace the tires in the pits. Softer pads improve braking but also result in more brake dust. Function over form in my book. I brush the dust off my car's wheels once a week if even that - it just does not bother me at all. Then again, I do not use the brakes much (downshift instead), so the dust takes a while to accumulate.

Well, I was so excited over picking up the Shtroumpf on Saturday that I got carried away and I revved it into the rev limiter in second gear. It all happened very fast but the limiter kicked in definitely above 6,500 RPM's - it was somewhere between 6,600 and 6,700 in second gear. The DSC light came up and power was reduced for a split second. Overall, it felt just as if you had let off the gas - that's how good they programmed it. I remember it felt pretty frightening doing that in the '97 Porsche 911 once but then again, the 911 has a lot more torque and I felt a much stronger lurch forward. The power in the 911 did not come back for about 2-3 seconds, though, and I felt a lot safer in the 3-series when the rev limiter kicked in. I have read that the rev limiter kicks in at different engine speed in different gears. I'm guessing the higher the gear, the closer the limiter will be to the 6,500 level indicated on the dash. So down goes another question that we could not answered in the past.
  • whichone1whichone1 Member Posts: 11
    I want to thank everyone who responded to my question about a 325i's rpms at 60 mph. I am planning on purchasing a manual and I thought I had read a post somewhere that the rpm in 5th was 3000 at 60 mph. I took a look at the 2001 brochure and noticed that the final drive ratio for the step is 3.46. For the manual it is 3.15. Would that not mean the the manual in 5th would turn slower at 60 mph. Sorry for the newbie questions and thanks for the past and future help.
  • uge123uge123 Member Posts: 100
    That comment was made by me...

Now I have the wagon, which has a slightly higher rear end then the 325i sedan or coupe.

Regardless...the engine is quieter at 4000 rpm and 80mph than my wife's Accord is at 2000 and 60mph. The constant comment that people forget to shift into 5th gear on the highway is testament to the smoothness and quietness of the BMW Inline 6.

About the ratio. The rear end in conjunction with the gear ratio in the transmission dictate engine rpm at a given speed. I believe that the step has an overdrive 5th gear, making up for the higher rear end.

Enjoy your future purchase!
    Could you email of fax me your service order that confirms the 4 wheel alignment. I hear that certain dealers hem and haw about it, so I'd like to have some ammo if mine balks. BMWNA told me it's not included, so refering the dealer to them won't help. Thanks.
  • merckxmerckx Member Posts: 565
    I just read in the latest C&D about the new Compact.Really impressive air intake management system.I didn't realize the previous BMW hatch was not a sales success.I tried to talk my sister into one a few years ago-one with the full-length canvas sunroof.I really admired this unique option.
    How have you Compact owners liked your cars?
  • bmw323isbmw323is Member Posts: 410
    Brave, I've used the Maguires Gold Class on my black 323. It has a very deep rich shine but doesn't last more than 3 or 4 car washes before it gives up some beading. Haven't used Mothers, but the last report by CR rated it about mid pack. It was rated very good for gloss, cleaning and ease of use - and fair for durability and scratching/hazing. The durability was the same rating as Maguires so I wouldn't expect it to last very long.

I too, hit the rev limiter the other day in second gear. I wasn't staring at the tach but I know I was at or above 6,500. At almost the exact time the engine cut out I was shifting, but it did startle me for a split second. I wish BMW would do what my 86 RX-7 did. About 500 RPM before redline it made an audible tone so I didn't have to look at the tach to know when to shift. Do any cars do that today? By the way, that Rotary engine was wonderful in it's time - only 80 cubic inches of displacement, 146 HP, 7,000 RPM redline, 2,600 pounds. 0-60 in 8.0 seconds, which was fast in 1986. And it handled as well as my BMW (or close, at least).

My 5 speed manual runs about 2700-2800 RPM at 60MPH.
    steering retro: mfeldman - I never got anything on the all-wheel alignment in writing - it was all over the phone. I will check with my dealership tomorrow to see if they can fax me the original BMWNA authorization and will send you an e-mail if I manage to get it.

waxing: deep rich shine is indeed what I'd like to see. I think that polymers tend to reflect more light with their mirror-like finish, while wax tends to make true colors (typically the metallic shades) come out better resulting in deeper, richer shine. That's exactly what Orient Blue needs. There is no question in mind that polymers take longer to apply but also last longer. However, I only wash my car about once a month and waxing is good enough for me.

rev limiter: CART cars have flashing lights with different colors indicating how close you are to the rev limiter. I guess when you're going 230 mph, you don't have the time to get an exact RPM read. Now that would be really cool in a BMW. I'll give it another couple of years before it shows up in the M3 GTR.
  • kominskykominsky Member Posts: 850
    If I can dig up my service invoice (my wife has a filing "system"), I can fax it to you. If interested, send me your fax # at tlk@agere.com.
    Your wife has a filling system and she files your BMW receipts away?!? That's unheard of. Did you two meet through some BMW-related bulletin board? Lucky you!! I file my wife's Audi receipts away :o)
  • burrsrburrsr Member Posts: 255
    are a function of several things, including the actual transmission ratios, the final drive ratio, and the tire circumference. Think of putting some 5X monster truck-sized wheels and tires on your car: engine RPMs at 60mph in 5th would drop from 2,500 to 500, effectively making every ratio 5X taller. Same thing for the rice cars that have smaller, lower profile rubber installed: ratios are effectively lowered, which may actually improve acceleration times slightly (at the expense of top-end). Wheel/tire circumference also affects speedo calibration: increase or decrease the tire circumference by 10%, and you automatically have 6mph error at 60mph, 8mph error at 80mph, etc.
    Well, drove to work through construction/pollution this morning. The car is as clean as a whistle. No layer of sticky dust.

I'm impressed.

Brave: the Mothers beaded very well and had a deep rich glossy shine. BUT it was a dust magnet. It took me a while to apply because I did the whole "system". The basic wash/wax shouldn't take too long. I just didn't appreciate having to wash the car every weekend and needing to wax every month. Too much work.

I think for me the Zaino thing is like the BMW thing. I gave Mothers a try because I didn't want to go through the hassle of waiting for the Zaino to arrive. I consider it (Mothers) a waste of 50 bucks and a beautiful summer afternoon. But thats just my opinion based on my experience with my car.
    Thanks for the feedback. I find the different objectives for using wax to be interesting. You are looking for a slick finish that does not collect dust as well as protection during the winter. I was looking for deep cleaning and a high gloss shine (for my wife's '95 Mazda). Brave wants to highlight the car's color (w/o a high gloss finish) and minimize application time. These different objectives are the reason so many different "wax" products exist.
  • hippo168hippo168 Member Posts: 115
    Meguiar's has this thing called Mirror Glaze Cleaner/Wax, a one-step application which "cleans, polishes, and protects", similar to the Klasse All-in-one. I heard it is supposed to be very good. Anyone using it?

According to Meguiar's website, the Mirror Glaze products are for "professionals", while its Gold Class products are for "consumers"... Don't know what the big difference is.
  • jasonkureejiijasonkureejii Member Posts: 210
    ...it's gotten even MORE fun to drive! I must say that braveheart is correct about the acceleration of a 325i he posted sometime ago. It does hesitate if you press down on the accelerator hard below 2K RPMs, but it definitely screams above 3K RPMs. But in the last couple of days (and it's been only 10 days, mind you), this baby seems to be stronger in the low end. This morning, I could feel it really pull...and it was surprising! Man, my commute to work has become less the mind-numbing zombie-like daily ritual and more the "I'm in my own world and I could care less if I'm a little late" drive! I haven't received the Zaino yet, but I'm looking forward to giving'er a good wash and wax this weekend. A few notes:

1) I found that the sports suspension must be breaking in as well, because my previous assessment of it as almost too smooth has now become what I really expected, that is, it takes in all the unevennous of the road quite a bit. However, it handles very well on all the meattier curvy roads I've taken here...very very nimble and hardly any roll at all. The Continentals are great and I absolutely love the rims and lowered ride. My girlfriend, however, has complained on occasion recently...the passenger seat is HER territory and should be unmistakably smooth....at least so she says!

2) The clutch in certain lower gears (maybe 2nd or 3rd) seems to give an almost pulsating resistance when I push it in on occasion (only lately), that is, as opposed to no resistance at all. I'm unsure if this is part of "breaking" it in. I'm no gearhead.

3) The brake dust is not really a problem. It seems to wash off without much effort. Is there some kind of clear protectant for the rims to keep them nice, however? Otherwise, I've been trying to stay in the habit of downshifting correctly. Once in awhile, I've had to stomp on the brakes because of some @#$% in front of me.

4) If there is anything I disliked, it would be the over-boosted steering (feels too aloof when you want to take out those snazzy Ss, especially when some streets here are TIGHT), the very limited storage in the center console (I would like to drop down something besides some spare change and my girlfriend's hairclip!), and not being able to get it in reverse when the car is angled down a bit (then again, lately, I have not had too much of problem with this...I'm so afraid of fighting the resistance, but sometimes, you just have to give a little muscle, I guess!).

Otherwise, the car is simply a joy to own and unmistakable to drive. I don't regret one penny I paid for it, and I would do it again in a heartbeat! Co-workers are eager to sit in it, strangers will come out of nowhere to compliment it, and it just feels really good to know that the money I worked so hard for is paying off with this car, this machine that keeps me looking over my shoulder when I walk away from it, wanting me to take it out for another drive....just one more for the day, I promise, it says....
    "Your wife has a filling system and she files your BMW receipts away?!? That's unheard of. Did you two meet through some BMW-related bulletin board? Lucky you!!"

Not as lucky as it seems on the surface. her "system" is usually on the order of... "someone's coming over and we cannot allow them to think people actually live here. everything must go. I'll just throw this piece of paper in the kitchen utensil drawer". On top of that, after driving the 323i loaner I had, when I asked what she thought her answer was "it's not bad, but I'd rather drive my Odyssey". Nope... definetly not gonna meet anyone like her on any BMW bulletin boards.
  • drcrdrcr Member Posts: 87
    Been away for a bit and recently returned and it now appears that Zaino is a sponsor of the board
  • killer99killer99 Member Posts: 21
    Things have changed while you have been gone... Now any posts NOT containing a Zaino reference is considered off topic.
  • bavarianbavarian Member Posts: 63
    Brave,I was very surprised to read that your dealership-I've forgotten their name...Peabrain BMW was it?-was reluctant to let you drive a 330 for steering comparison purposes.
    Retailing 101: Treat the customer right and they'll be back with another cash transfusion for your business.
    When I was shopping for a BMW I recall saying to the salesman I eventually bought from-"The trick is not to sell me one car,but to sell me 5 over the next 15 years". I think that was already part of his mindset as he is a professional,a career salesman.
    Recently, during a phone conversation regarding an upcoming Ultimate Drive I'm taking part in, he told me that anytime I want to come in and drive an E46 M3 he would have the keys ready,even though he knows it is financially out of my league at present. He is building a relationship with no guarantee I will ever get another car from him.

How was that Saturn loaner by the way? (ouch!)
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    Let me preface my comments by saying that I prefer the more direct feel of the E36 over the E46. If you could stick an E46 interior into a 1995 M3 you'd about have my perfect car. Just my opinion. I special ordered a 318ti Club Sport in 1995. Aside from a couple of TSBs and a bad fuel level sensor, the car has been dead nuts reliable in over 60000 miles of street and track driving. My wife drove a 1998 ti for two years and loved it, but family considerations forced her to move up to a 528i. The 1998 was also quite reliable. The dealer has slipped me new E46 and E39 service loaners to tempt me to trade, but the only one that lit my fire was a Sport pack 328Ci. Oh yeah, and I'd take the 2001 M3 I drove a while back. Now, if your self-worth is inextricably bound to your car's 0-60 times, the ti is NOT for you. That said, if you want a nimble enjoyable runabout that can serve as a track rat and back road burner, check out a ti Sport.
  • dzayiadzayia Member Posts: 12
    ok..it is now august 14....my 330i has been in the u.s. since july 24 and at vpc since july 27!!! dealer says car had a scratch on the bumper...bmwusa merely says still at vpc..no indication of damage on work order. i am getting very frustrated with this whole thing. what's the longest anyone's ever had a car at vpc????
    OK, I'll have to admit that the steering is heavier than I had initially reported. I think it is very likely that I had my steering retrofit expectations exceedingly high and I initially thought that the steering was just a tad heavier. The more I drive the car and especially the more I push it hard into corners (great exit ramps here in Albany, NY!!!), the better I can feel the benefits from the heavy steering. I'd have to correct my original statement to say that the retrofitted steering is about halfway between the original heavy steering and the June build 3-series that I drove. You can still park the car with one hand on the wheel (helpful if you're looking over your shoulder) but the steering tightens up considerably at high speed and aggressive cornering. Maybe it is the best of both worlds. I wanted to say "Thank you, BMWNA. You have made one proud BMW owner (and a very demanding consumer at that!) happy". Let's hope that the dealerships can learn from BMWNA and improve as well.
    Another day or two and you'll be singing the praises as loud as I was! ;-) I'm not sure if you did it or not, but I would (I did) send BMWNA an email or letter including the quoted part of your post above. Personally, I think they went above and beyond on this one, even though it was a bad decision to mess with the steering in the first place.
  • jasonkureejiijasonkureejii Member Posts: 210
    I believe most people are going to the Owners Circle at bmwna.com and requesting it through email. That's how I did it. I think you can call too (ph.# should be available on the website).
    Would you still say the retro is lighter than the 328? HAving driven an e36 325, I think the e46 328 was heavier and SLOWER. The increased effort made it more difficult to react quickly. I'm sure Shipo will disagree, but it's just my opinion. So I still wouldn't mind if the retro is somewhere in between, or if it's like the post-May 2001 330s. What do you think?
    If the TireRack doesn't have any wheels you want, Discount Tire also offers wheel/winter-tire packages. Ads for both will probably start popping up in magazines over the next couple of months.
  • novcenthusiastnovcenthusiast Member Posts: 80
    On the international BMW site (bmw.com) there is a picture of a 2002 3 series sedan with SP (I assume). The front bumper region is different from the other 2002 3 pictures I've seen. It looks similar to the front of the 2001 M3 with the large air dam (correct terminology?).

question: Will this feature be standard for the Sport Package on both the 325 and 330 or will they only offer it and the 18" wheel options for the 330i?
  • novcenthusiastnovcenthusiast Member Posts: 80
    It appears that an M aerodynamics package is standard with the 330i SP. I suppose this answers my question. I found the information on the page which bingusa(?) sent the link for about 60 post ago.
    I still think that the retrofitted steering weight is about halfway between the E46 328/323 and the post-May 330 that I drove. In short, kominsky is right - the more I drive it, the more I like it. Not TOO heavy, not light at all, definitely fast and precise. Only area for improvement is that there is still a little bit of wander but mostly at lower speeds. Do it, I think you'll like it and it may even correct your off-center steering problem.