Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus ES 300/ES 330

Comments

• slapshot3slapshot3 Member Posts: 1
    I'd be interested in knowing what kind of deals any recent 2002 ES300 purchasers have received. I live in Central Indiana and all the dealerships I've checked with claim they are getting full sticker or very close to it. My boss got the best deal I personally know of....$700 off. Not much of a deal as far as I'm concerned. If I can't do better, I'm either going to wait it out for a few months and see if supply catches up with demand, or change gears altogether and get a low mileage Q45, (either 2000 or 2001). I'd appreciate hearing anyone else's experience and/or suggestions. Thanks!
  • sddlwsddlw Member Posts: 361
    I doubt you will see significant dealing until late summer, unless you are close enough to a large metro area to get some dealer competition going. Even so, don't expect to get too close to invoice.

The Q45 is a nice car, but not at all like the ES. Expect faster depreciation and higher maintanence costs. But it is a great ride.
  • robtwrobtw Member Posts: 4
    My wife is in love with her ES300 but I find the following: If a door is not completely closed the interior lites don't time out--means a no start in the AM. Dealer says that the way it works! Most new cars will time out all lites etc. Neither does 300 have any integrated controls on the steering wheel for radio or cruise. This feature has been on lots of cars for several years.

Can't believe a car at this price level has these deficiencies! Better pay more attention next time when my wife comes home with a car. In my judgement any Lexus is way overpriced. Check the current real market value on this site before you buy one. You'll find that it's less than the check you're going to write by several thousand. But your wife can say "mine is a Lexus"--I guess that's what important.
  • hk2lahk2la Member Posts: 53
    Does a Kia have radio controls on the steering wheel? Maybe I should have gotten a Kia.
  • kreativkreativ Member Posts: 299
    Chris Lu - Any luck with Lexus of Santa Monica?

slapshot 3 - I agree with SDDLW.

robtw - I would've liked to see the 2 features you mentioned in my ES as well, although neither would've made a difference in my purchase decision. I also think there should be integrated controls on the steering wheel for the stereo system. As for the lights timing out, are you sure that's not configurable by the dealer? There appear to be a lot of dealer-configurable options as far as lighting is concerned. Talk to one of the actual service techs about that.
    And yah, driving any luxury brand will give your wife some bragging rights. =)

As far as what people are paying vs. Edmunds true market value, I'm not sure what you mean. Edmunds lists the base true market value of the '02 ES as $300 under MSRP. There are people paying $2000+ less than MSRP. hk2la got $2850 off her '02 ES. That's thousands less, not more, than Edmund's true market value.

hk2la - How're you liking your new ES so far? Any questions / comments?
    I just love it. It is so beautiful; beautiful, smooth lines, totally integrated bumpers. Rides beautifully. I was told the 4-wheel independent mcphersons are new to the ES. And yes, I am very proud of the signage. That glimmering "L".

Radio controls on steering wheel: I actually think that is a bad idea. It's much more dangerous to be glancing down at the steering wheel than glancing at the dash.

Kreativ: okay, you are right on the money (literally!)
    I've been driving around w/ the fan off and not in recirculate mode. It smells gassy, a little detrimental to my health, I would say. I wasn't sure if it's other cars' exhaust seeping in or what. When you have the ventilation system off, is it still ventilating?
  • clarkramclarkram Member Posts: 7
    Have had a 2002 ES300 for 2 weeks now. In Atlanta area there was no available inventory when I took a test drive and they got 3 cars in that week. Fortunately I was able to get one of the 3. Paid about 750 under list, almost exactly the TMV price quoted for this area.
    So far (only 250 miles) avg 24 mpg, quiet, comfy. Other car is 99 I30. No problems yet, but unless I am mistaken the first "service" at 1k miles is just an inspection. Is this correct?
    Clark
    hk2la - yes, it still lets in a little bit of outside air when you have the ventilation system off, provided you are in fresh air mode and not recirc mode.

I think the point of audio steering wheel controls is so you don't have to look down at all.

clarkram - yes, the 1K/30 day "service" is just an inspection. It includes a road test if you don't mind one of the service guys taking a joy ride in your new car.

By the way, for the second free scheduled maintenance, you'll have the choice of whether you want that to be at 5000 miles or 7500 miles. I looked in the schedule manual and they also replace your A/C filter at 7500, so it makes sense to request the 7500 mile service regardless of when you bring it in. Beats me why the 5000 mile service intervals call for changing the A/C filter at 15,000, while the 7500 mile interval calls for changing it at 7,500 AND 15,000. Personally, i would ask for them to give you the A/C filter, and change it yourself when your current A/C filter actually becomes dirty. It's easy to do, and instructions are in the manual.

That's pretty good mileage you're getting, compared to me at least.
    Year 2002
    Gas Mileage 15MPG
    Miles Driven 400
    % Highway Driving 5%
    Average speed 19MPH
    Car Date of Manufacture: 10/01

I've only been using this car to take me to the golf courses and local places. But 15MPG seems pretty pathetic, even given the low average speed and local-only driving.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    is ACTUALY probably the cause of your poor milage. Such a low speed represents an ineffecient use of fuel... you aren't going far enough given the fuel used. Look at like this: if you are at idle, the engine is BARELY using fuel, but its only using it to sit there, and therefore, you get 0 MPG. Didnt you ever wonder why EPA city ratings are much lower than the HWY ratings? Its because those tests are done at a very low average speed.
    ~alpha
    Also, most of the trips are short, so I'm sure that doesn't help either. I'm not too confident that my MPG will jump from 15 to 21 once I start taking it for longer trips and driving at higher MPH, but I hope so.
    Any idea what average speed the EPA city rating is based on?
    kreativ: thanks for the tips on service. As far as mileage, mine is mainly to commute, speed limit ride (37miles) in the morning, some stop n go in afternoon, afternoon speeds avg about 40 mph.
    clark
  • valone1valone1 Member Posts: 3
    I ordered a new ES 300 in Nov. A blue pearl with gray interior. Took delivery just before Christmas . Got the car for $800.under List price. I had a read out of all of the dealers cost and could show dealer what he was paying to help get a better deal. I also had called dealer in surrounding cities to get a idea of what kind of deal they were willing to make. Love the car, it seems that when I turn car off it has a smell of surfer. Has any one had this experience.
  • gdb55gdb55 Member Posts: 14
    Does anyone have any pictures of an '02 ES300 in Starlight Pearl?
    I'm averaging about 21 mpg, 50/50 street/freeway, except freeway is more like parking lot. I've only had my ES for a week. Looks like I got one of the best deals around. Just got a thank you plant from my dealership.

kreativ: I woudn't be worried about such early gas mileage numbers. Drive that new car around and enjoy it!

radio controls on steering wheel--really now, you can't use it without looking down.
  • mbbenzmbbenz Member Posts: 47
    The purpose of the controls on the steering wheel is so you would use it without looking down at the radio. Of course you will have to know which button does what. Use it a few times and you would know without having to look at them. Think of it as your horn. Do you have to look at it before you can "honk'? In my Mercedes, it does more than just radio. It can be used to pickup/hangup the phone, change clock and other settings, trip computer, fast forward/rewind CD and tape, control volume, check maintanance schedule, etc...
    valone1: Yes, I noticed that smell too the first night after driving back from the dealership. Must be one of those new car things.

hk2la: Haha, yah, those LA freeways. The EPA should come up with a separate mileage estimate in California for bumper-to-bumper freeway traffic.
  • autos3autos3 Member Posts: 24
    We have had our ES for a few months now, and with 3K for mileage. We have noticed at speeds around 45-50 mph, when the car goes into overdrive or 5th speed, the car abruptly downshifts back to fourth if the speed remains around the 45-50 mph. I stopped by a Lexus dealership (not were car was purchased) and asked why the car was doing this, the service guy said it will when cold, and it was the transmission shifting out of overdrive and it was "normal". Has anyone else noticed this, or have I just come to expect perfection from the perfectionst!?!

I will mention it again when it goes back to the dealer that sold us the car for its next service. Other than that we LOVE this car...IT ROCKS!
  • mjs4mjs4 Member Posts: 8
    I take my car in this week for the 1st "checkup". Absolutely love the car. Getting around 21mpg in the city. It looks like I should have bought a Kia. Then I would have my radio controls on the steering wheel. We americans are getting lazy. Just because the Kia and other cars have the controls on the steering wheel, doesn't make it a good idea. All I know is that I looked at a lot of cars, including BMW and Mercedes. Thats why I'm driving a Lexus. I love the stereo upgrade (ML) and am starting to use the Nav. a little. So far it's pretty easy to use. Enjoy the car and be HAPPY!!!
  • lenscaplenscap Member Posts: 854
    The 2002 ES 300 does have the cruise control controls on the steering wheel.

And you think most new cars have lights that go out after a certain period of time? Please say which cars, because I don't know of any.

Also, how can you say any Lexus is way overpriced? Check most any Lexus vs. the competition (mostly Mercedes and BMW) and Lexus is usually much cheaper. Consider some examples:

LS 430 vs. S430 or 745i
    GS 430 vs. E430 or 540i
    GS 300 vs. E320 or 530i
    ES 300 vs. C320
    IS 300 vs. 330i

Further, no car is going to have every feature everybody wants. But it could be much worse. Wasn't it the all-new Mercedes C-Class that did not even have a CD changer as an option, let alone standard?

I hope this response did not come across the wrong way. Be happy with your purchase and enjoy a well-built, value-packed car.
  • mbbenzmbbenz Member Posts: 47
    "And you think most new cars have lights that go out after a certain period of time? Please say which cars, because I don't know of any"

My 96 Chrysler minivan. Didn't shut doors tight? Forgot to shut off headlights? left your interior lights on? No problem. After 15 minutes they all will be off.
  • gambhirgambhir Member Posts: 64
    so whichmethod is accurate--I typically reset my trip computer each time I refuel-this time I did not and my mileage is better--which is the right way
    do you reset every time or do you let it average out three-four times
    please advise
    gambhir - Either way is correct...it's up to you. If you're trying to determine if one brand of gas (or a particular gas station) gives you better MPG than another station, then it's best to let it average out through 3-4 fillups before you switch to the next station and reset the trip computer.

lenscap - How about arranging to purchase a car w/AVS in southern California, taking a short vacation there, and either drive the car back or arrange to have a shipping company flatbed your car back to Chicago. With the difference in pricing between southern California and Chicago, you won't be losing out on much. And you'd have the car much faster. Plus, if you enjoy golf or any other outdoor sport, a trip to SoCal wouldn't be bad.

Audio steering wheel controls and interior light time-out: two useful features that I wouldn't mind having in my '02 ES.
    No need to get too defensive about what our cars don't have.
  • joker2108joker2108 Member Posts: 30
    DID ANY OF YOU LEASE THE ES300
    If so please post the lease price you got.
    I have a GS300 on lease that will be coming do in the next year. I was looking at the ES300, I35, JAG x-type
    I was told yesterday when I brought my GS in for a oil change that the ES 300 came down in price on a lease. From $530 a month ago to $480 for 39 months 12k miles.
    The I35 is a nice car I was offered a price of $408 before haggle.
    The JAG X-type is $350 with free service

NOW all these cars are around $33,000. I assume that the price difference is because the ES300 is new and Lexus has SNOB appeal.
    As I told my dealer if the ES300 price comes down to normal range to $420's then I would concider it. I dont want to leave LEXUS since I love there service, but I will not pay $60-100 more a month.
    joker, in Atlanta area they were advertising leases of new ES300 for 399/mo with 10% down paymnet and 499/mo with some other down payment. Dont really know about leases but I am pretty sure this is what was in the paper a week ago.
    clark
  • rebelskrebelsk Member Posts: 65
    I have the car in this color and the best way to describe it is that in the sunlight, the color appears to be light blue and without sunlight, the color appears silver. I am quite happy with it and many people have commented to me that they like the color. As I said earlier, I dont have a digital camera but will try to scan some regular pictures for you to see.
  • gdb55gdb55 Member Posts: 14
    Rebelsk: I'd appreciate anything you can send. I hate to order a color I've never seen.
    My email is: gdbais@proaxis.com
  • voepelvoepel Member Posts: 1
    Is $35K for ES300 in Chicago area the best I can expect in this market? I am looking at premium package and no NAV and the color is alabaster metallic which seems to be the most sought after color around here and will require one to order.

Thanks.
    clarkram thank you . the price i got was $480 with about $2600 down for tax and lience
    Any color a dealer doesn't have readily available when you inquire they'll tell you is a "most sought after" color. That's one tactic they use to get you to pay more.
    clarkram thank you . the price i got was $480 with about $2600 down for tax and lience
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    if you put $2600 down, it was for more than just tax and license. there should have also been a first month's payment in there, and it looks as though you also paid some CAP COST REDUCTION.
    ~alpha
  • bolbol Member Posts: 7
    It has been more than a week and still there is no fix for the problem. The squeaking/whistling engine noise is getting worse as the weather here in the Bay area gets colder. I dropped off my car to the dealer yesterday and I don't think I want to pick it up again until they have a fix for the problem. I am looking for Lemon law protection. What are my options?
    Quite a while back, at least a year or more, someone posted they had a problem with a musty smell in the AC/heat vent system in their 2000 ES300. Well, low and behold, I started to have the same problem. When I mentioned it to my dealer at my last service interval they said this was not an uncommon problem and was due to mold. They even had a brochure describing how they can clean the vent system for only $120. .....Now in nearly 30 years driving may different cars, I've never had any mold issues or musty smell problems. But lately I've had what seem to be chronic alergies, so I figured .... what the hell. May be it will help. And guess what ... $120 later, no musty smell. Still waiting to see if my alergies get better. I also wonder if I'll be faced with this again in 6 months.

Anyone else experiencing this? Any ideas why this kind of problem is apparent in newer cars, and/or Lexus (none of my previous MBs, Toyotas, Hondas, Pontiacs, or MG ever had mold, at least not in the ventilation system).
    good grief, you do realize my Kia comment was totally sarcastic? Okay, not to belabor the topic, but I think all those controls on the steering wheel are dangerous and one day the insurance industry will issue a report about it. The car horn is not some little button on the steering wheel, and it is always in the same location no matter which way you've turned the steering wheel.
    Anyway, I love my 2002 ES300.

Tax/license: $2,600 would be low for tax and license around here.

Musty smell: have you been keeping the vent in recirculation mode? That would definitely cause a bad smell, and indoor air pollution--in a car!

BOL: That really sucks. Did they ever diagnose the problem? and have you talked to Lexus? I'm pretty sure there are some lemon law writeups on this site. I would definitely research legal rights and pursue the issue with Lexus, as far up the ladder as necessary.
  • strapper1strapper1 Member Posts: 2
    I recently purchased a 2000 ES 300 demonstrator with only 6000 km on it and i love the car.My problem is with the cost of service compared to the Camry i had last which with the 6 cyl engine is mechanically a similar car.
    The new Lexus dealer in town also owns the Toyota dealership.I can see an oil change costing $59 compared to $27 at Toyota as Lexus loans you a car and washes yours but when you get the Lexus dealer quoting $296 compared to Toyota $102 FOR the same service maintenanceone has to wonder.I phoned another Lexus dealer about 90 miles away and their cost for the same service was $160.Now when you compare Lexus service requirements they want you to carry out this service at 12 months or 16000 km wheareas Toyota only requires you to carry out this service at 24 months or 32000 km.Is one to deduce from this that the Toyota is a better car than the Lexus? I phoned Lexus Canada who seemed surprised at this.
    I guess I will be getting my Lexus serviced at a Toyota dealership which is in the next town
    I would like to hear from others who are getting their Lexus serviced at Toyota dealerships
    Best wishes
    Strapper1
  • 8u6hfd8u6hfd Member Posts: 1,391
    Toyota transmissions are designed to lock out overdrive engine the engine is cold for better startup emissions and warms the engine faster.

I suspect 45-50 is the range where the transmission shifts from 4th to 5th. So it's hunting gears. You may want to get them to check the computer for the transmission, if it's reading anything wrong.
  • lexus1lexus1 Member Posts: 14
    I live in Houston where humidity, mold and mildew are the norm. I occasionally get the "old socks" smell in my Accord and use the following fix suggested by my mechanic: turn the AC on with the vent in fresh air mode. Open all doors and windows. Spray Lysol spray down the air intake vents for 2-4 minutes to fully coat the ducts. Let the AC run for 5 more minutes. For a day or two (or three), your car will smell like Lysol (they have new fragrances that are better than the orginal) but the mold will be gone. In some cases, the type of mold that grows in these systems can aggravate allergies and cause repiratory illnesses. Since you have to do this only once or twice a year (unless you live in Houston or New Orleans!), it's worth the couple days of smelling "really clean". A further suggestion is to either protect your seating surfaces in front of the ducts with towels, or wipe the seats off after you're done.
  • capt386capt386 Member Posts: 2
    took delivery of my new 2002es300 two weeks ago and love the car. previously owned 97es300. however, I find that resting my left leg on floor pad, has given me backache and tingling in left leg. have tried to adjust seat but without success. anyone else had similar experience or am I just getting old.
    Interesting fix. So where are the intake vents? Under the dash?

That is not too different for what the dealer did. They went in through the vent ducting and tubing and used a foamy disinfectent. I'll try that next time.

I am in San Diego, and always have the vent set for fresh air. I only use the heat or AC every once in a while. I was quite surprised I would have this problem in San Diego. Hence, I was curious how widespread it was.
    I just had a 20K service in San Diego and it was $160. But in all fairness to the dealer, in addition to OLF, they rotated my tires, checked things that should be checked, checked some BS things that help them justify the $$, and sent me home in an almost new RX300 with only 3K miles in it as a loaner for the day.

A while back at another routine OLF interval, they saw the coolent overflow reservoir was cracked. It took them 5 days (over a weekend) to get the part. I had their loaner all five days and still only paid for the routine service.

Somebody's got to pay for that!

If the pamering and convenience is not worth the extra $$, take your car to the Toyota dealer for service, or find a reputable independent who is certified for warantee work. Before I bought my Lexus, I was driving a 300E MB and used an indepenent. On average, his bills were slightly lower for service interval stuff, but as much as 50% less than the dealer for major work.
  • hunter001hunter001 Member Posts: 851
    A while back at another routine OLF interval, they saw the coolent overflow reservoir was cracked. It took them 5 days (over a weekend) to get the part. I had their loaner all five days and still only paid for the routine service.

Somebody's got to pay for that!

Lexus pays for that, NOT the dealer.

Later...AH
    Perhaps a bit off-topic .... but how does that work? I realize parts and labor are covered by the manufacturer but does the dealer get to charge back for the loaner too? Even for another Lexus?

I would have expected that to be dealer overhead, and one of the main reasons the independents can keep their prices down. .... as in the case of my MB mechanic who was factory certified and authorized to perform warantee work, but kept his overhead and prices low.
    Everything gets charged to Lexus Corp. when it deals with warranty work.

You'll notice that some Lexus dealers are very willing to do warranty work (replace items) on trivial things. Customers think the dealer is great, but really, they're just collecting on warranty payments. If they had to cover the warranty themselves, they'd do anything to get out of it.
    Remember, the only person that really cares about your car is you.

1,000 miles: Free, all they do is look at your car, and maybe take a joy ride (road test) in it.

Minor service (e.g. 5000/10000, 7500, etc.)
    Lexus typically charges - $90 to $1xx
    What you should really be paying - $30-40

Oil change - Lexus dealers typically charge $40-60 for this simplest of procedures (as far as a car mechanic is concerned). You can get the same parts and better service by doing this on your own for as low as $22. (Buy Camry/ES filter at Toyota dealer, oil from discount warehouse, LABOR ONLY charge at local auto shop where you get to watch the mechanic)

Rotate tires - Lexus dealers again charge $40-60 for another simple procedure. At that price, you might as well buy new tires and get lifetime tire rotation/balancing with it. You'll SAVE money in the long run and have an extra set of tires for later use.
    You can get tire rotation for much cheaper at tire shops. I wouldn't pay any more than $15 for this service. Ask that only a TORQUE WRENCH be used to tighten your tires to 76lb-ft. Most places, including Lexus dealers, just use an impact socket wrench with little regards to the torque specification. Some just use a torque limiter (torque stick).

Intermediate service (e.g. 15000):
    Same as minor service plus:
    Replace A/C filter - simple to do through glove box, instructions in the owner's manual. If you can change a light bulb, you can do this. Buy A/C filter from parts and do it yourself. You DON'T need to change it at the specified service interval. Instead, you should change it when it's NECESSARY, meaning checking the filter periodically. So you may be changing the filter earlier/later than recommended.

Retorque drive shaft flange bolts: I doubt Lexus dealers even bother, or all they do is rattle it around with an impact socket wrench instead of retorquing to specified torque. If you want it done right, ask your mechanic what the torque specification is (to make sure they know) and request that they be retorqued with a TORQUE WRENCH. This service shouldn't even cost anything if you're bringing in the car to any auto shop for an oil change or what not.

Checks and inspections: So they look around and make sure everything's okay. Do they actually check? Many don't. Unless you're with the mechanic and he tells you everything he's checking for, you'll never know.

Lexus dealers typically charge $200-$xxx for this service. Starting to wonder what exactly you're paying all the extra money for? Just the nice lounge and a nice loaner car, which can be quite valuable to some. Sure, the Lexus dealer will say "we do a lot of extra stuff" (i.e. We tack on a bunch of unnecessary extras so we can charge you more)

This could go on and on. What's important is to find a GOOD MECHANIC, whether at a local shop or at the Lexus dealer. It's not the place that matters, it's the mechanic you get.
    For any service that requires in-depth knowledge of your Lexus vehicle, I'd still take to a Lexus dealer. But you don't have to buy the whole package...you can order services a la carte.
  • hunter001hunter001 Member Posts: 851
    As kreativ explained, every single bit of it will be charged to Lexus, since it is related to warranty work. They would also include the cost of a Luxury Rental for 5 days or whatever it took for the part to come in.

Also, with my Acura TL, I get a loaner car along with a complimentary wash (which I usually decline) and a vacuum, during even a minor oil change. I get charged about $25. If I wait for the oil change, I get free local telephones, connection for my laptop etc., along with free coffee and bagels. Generally they give some free stuff like a T-shirt or something at the time of payment.

All major services like the 15,000 mile change etc., they charge about $180. During which, in addition to a bunch of inspections, and the oil change, they also change the transmission fluid (it better be done by the dealer) and a tire rotation, in addition to topping off any other fluids. At the time of payment, they also attach a cassette that contains the comments from the technician who inspected the various components. I like that for a finishing touch, since then I am assured that they had done the various inspections. However, from what I understand, not all Acura dealers are nearly as good !!

Later...AH
    Now that's a good dealer service center! Where are you located?
  • ruggedlandruggedland Member Posts: 13
    My intention is to get the Mark Levenson package only, but in the Denver area you can only get the ML package together with the navigation package. Price difference aside, I'm a little concerned that the only way to switch between pre-set radio stations (which I do a lot) is to touch the button image on the navigation screen, and after a while the screen may get a dirty/rough look and feel. Should I worry about this? I personally much prefer the old-fasioned pre-set buttons, or better yet, the steering-wheel mounted audio control.
This discussion has been closed.