Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus ES 300/ES 330

Comments

• texas83texas83 Member Posts: 107
    I'll look into it. I'm still somewhat debating buying an SUV (RX300), but like the ES300 and want to conisder it as well.

Enjoy God's country. Austin is where I went to school.
  • fredvhfredvh Member Posts: 857
    Can I have RPM numbers for 70 MPH? I apologize if I have asked for this already.
    I could use one from last years model too. I just wanted to compare the 5-speed auto vs. the 4-speed.
  • ianhianh Member Posts: 8
    some dealers said: every 60k, some said: 90k. what does the book say?(i lost it) can anyone look it up?

i have 82k on mine......with original timing belt.

thanks much.
  • antiosamaantiosama Member Posts: 62
    Book says check at 60K. Inspect at 60K miles. The book doesn't say it's necessary to change it at 60K. I have 105,000 miles on my 95 Es300 and still have the original timing belt.
  • sliangsliang Member Posts: 50
    fredvh,
    My 02 ES300 has 2200 RPM at 70. The gas consumption is around 23 MPG to 25 MPG for 50% city/50% highway driving. On the freeway, it can reach 27 to 28 MPG at 70 MPH.
    So far I have put 1500 miles on it over 3 weeks, the new 5 speed transmission is NOT as smooth and responsive as my 00 RL 4 speed, but it is getting better. I will post it when it reaches 5K miles.
    One thing I really like about the 02 ES300 over the 00 RL is the quietness inside the car. Last night I was listening to a large scale orchestra on my way home on the freeway, the only thing I can hear is the MUSIC, each of the music instruments were so well laid out inside the car , I didn't hear any wind noise at all, the road noise is minimum, and I can say the ML upgrade is better than the BOSE in my 00 RL.
    tk_det,
    My GPS sign will not appear on the NAV screen until it receives the GPS signal, and it will stay on the screen as long as the GPS signal is clear.
    So far I haven't had any problem to receive the GPS signal anywhere in the Bay Area.
  • michaelf2michaelf2 Member Posts: 12
    If the timing belt breaks, does it damage the Lexus engine?
    Does the new 2002 ES300 have a timing belt or chain?
    if timing belt broke, any engine will damage, not just lexus.

that is why i want to know what the book says about timing belt replacement
  • kreativkreativ Member Posts: 299
    '02 ES has timing belt. One of the Camry models uses a timing chain. Beats me why.
    Lexus owner's manual (for my LS) says to inspect timing belt at 90K and every 30K thereafter. Nothing about replacement at a certain mileage.
  • michaelf2michaelf2 Member Posts: 12
    I spoke with the Lexus service dept today. They recommend changing the timing belt at 90k. If the timing belt breaks the only thing it could damage is the idler pulley.
  • antiosamaantiosama Member Posts: 62
    Very little, if anything, will get damaged by the timing belt breaking in the ES300. In regards to timing belts, engines fall into 2 categories: Interference design and non-interference design. Non-interference engines do not sustain damage if the timing belt snaps. Majority of engines are non-interference designs.
  • texas83texas83 Member Posts: 107
    Hey Man!!!

Talked with Don and got the deal made. I plan on flying in next Friday and picking it up. Looks like a good deal. Thanks for your posting. Don seems real straigtht forward. That's refreshing.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    We are looking for lawyers (any age, sex, kind of car) who are car nuts.

Please respond by March 9 to lordusky@aol.com

Any questions? Contact Edmunds.com PR at jfallon@edmunds.com

Thanks!
    kirstie_h
    Roving Host
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    All four cylinder versions (of the three trim levels) of the Camry have a timing chain, and the engine is non-interference. This is because the 4clyinder is brand new (more or less) in design and application. The V6 is uses a timing belt because it is an older design, dating back to 92.
    ~alpha
  • markinilmarkinil Member Posts: 1
    Just wanted potential buyers, at least in my area, to have a heads up. Just purchased a new ES (haven't taken delivery yet). I got prices from 4 dealers, three through the internet. They all offered around $1,000 off MSRP (fully loaded with Nav). The lowest dealer offered $1,500 off. My local dealer met the price, so TMV in my area on a fully loaded car is $37,815 against an MSRP of $39,315.
    Thanks for the post. Finally prices are starting to come down. I wonder if they would do that though for a little less "loaded". Are the ones on the lots equipped the same way as far as options? Do they have one there with just the premium package?
    Do the dealers have a plentiful supply on hand now? Do you feel the prices that one gets on the internet are the best they will do?
  • bpdcbpdc Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know where the antenna for the NAV system is located? Someone said it was under the rear parcel shelf in the trunk but I couldn't find it.
    bpdc,
    My NAV is installed at the left side of the rear shelf in the truck. It is covered by a plastic cover with Lexus NAV letters. The antenna can be built inside the NAV box if that is how they designed it.
    I won't suggest you to open it yourself because that can void your warranty for the NAV system in case you break it by accident.
    Where is the First Aid kit in the '02 ES supposed to go?
    Mine was sitting in the middle of the trunk when I got it.

And when you lift up the trunk mat, is there supposed to be anything in the rectangular compartment to the very right of where all the tools are?
  • lexus1lexus1 Member Posts: 14
    The first aid kit has a Velcro back on it. Expose the Velcro and stick on the left wall of the trunk anywhere you want. The rectangular compartment is for the fat leather manual holder they give you that is too big for the glove compartment and too big for the map pockets. Of course you can always take out the owners manual and keep it in your glove box until you are fully up on operating all the gizmos.
  • lenscaplenscap Member Posts: 854
    Actually, the big leather binder that holds the owners manual does fit in the glove box, with room to spare. In my old 1995 ES it took up nearly the entire glove box, but not with my 2002.
    Is anyone out there participating either in a formal or informal "car-sharing" deal? I'm looking for folks (other than spouses) who co-own luxury vehicles. If you fit the bill, or know someone who does, I'm hoping you'll contact me by Wednesday, March 6 with your contact information, the type of vehicle you share, and your city and state of residence. Thanks much!
    Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com
    jfallon@edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

I am considering a new 2002 ES300 or a slightly used 2000 or 2001 ES300 and would like your opinion on the differences in the two. I like the looks of the old style so much better. Is the 2002 so much better than the 2001? Let me know what you think. Has the mpg improved as the miles accumulate on your 2002?
    Having traded my 1995 ES 300 (which I bought new) for a 2002 (which now has 90 miles on it after one week of driving), and also having a friend with a 1998 ES 300, I think the 2002 is far superior to the previous generation (which itself is a great car). Here's why:

1. Structural integrity is much improved for 2002. Remember, the ES 300 rode on the same platform for 10 years (1992-2001). The new car is on an all-new platform. It's more solid, partly because they got rid of the frameless doors. Drive a 2002 and you'll see what I mean -- the car feels more solid than in past years.

2. The "substantial" look is greater with the 2002. Park the 2002 next to a 2001. The car is now bigger and heftier, with more presence.

3. I personally love the styling of the 2002. The car has a very expensive look to it, especially the chrome door handles. I still like the 2001, but it has dated cosmetic elements, such as the two-tone lower body and lower window line.

4. I always felt a bit cramped in the ES, but not with my 2002. There is plenty of room, without the feeling of being in a huge boat.

5. The 2002 blows away the old models in terms of safety. The body structure is more rigid if you get in a crash. Brake assist and vehicle skid control are available and there are now eight airbags, including side curtains front and rear.

6. The 2002 interior is a big upgrade. The softer leather, lots more wood trim (up high where your eye sees it), gated shifter, etc. create a much more pleasureable environment.

7. There are many features on the 2002 not even offered last year. For example (some optional), rain-sensing windshield wipers, dual-zone climate control, compass, power rear window shade, etc.

I could go on and on, but suffice it to say this car is 9/10 of an LS 430 (one of my favorite cars). I had very high expectations for this car, and every time I drive it I know this was the car for me.
    fredvh,
    I did a test drive for the old ES300 about one and half years ago, I didn't like it at all because the following reasons,
    1. The interior is too muck alike the Camry.
    2. The cabin space is too small comparing to Acura TL and Infiniti I30.
    3. The truck space is also too small.
    4. The handling is not as good as the Acura's.
    5. You have to pay for a premium (several thousand) for the luxury features which I don't think it is worth the extra.
    I ended up leasing a 00 RL instead which probably costs close to the ES300 with similar options.
    The 02 ES300 is a total different story. The exterior is not too much longer or wider than the old one, but it is much higher than the old one, which will give you more interior space, and the wheel distance is also longer for the 02 ES. It is also more aerodynamic (Cd. 0.28) which means less wind noise and quieter cabin, and fuel efficiency.
    The body feels more solid than the old one, you feel less body rolling while cornering. The 02 ES also has more advanced air bag system which includes the front & rear side curtain air bags.
    The carried over 3.0L V-6 engine has been refined to be certified as ULEV and fitted with a new 5-speed automatic transmission.
    The interior material quality is up to the level of the new LS430 (the leather, the wood, the plastic, and ML stereo, etc.).
    The 02 ES300 is not a perfect car either, but it is a huge step up from the 01 model, the preference of the exterior design is very objective thing for each person. For me, it is very creative and modern, and I don't think the design will be out of date in several years. Thinking about the headlight design of Mercedes-Benz E class, I didn't like it when I saw it the first time, but I start like the design when I see the pictures of their next generation of E class, very unique.
    I think the hardest thing for 02 ES is finding a really good deal since it is really hot and also at the early stage of production.
    Hope you can find the car you like and enjoy it.
    My 02 ES300 windshield was hit by a small rock and cracked a little bit, I use the windshield fix kit bought at Wal-Mart, the cracked spot looks much better but still visible.
    One of the A4 owner stated that he replaced his cracked windshield under warranty, I am wondering whether any of your Lexus owners knows whether I can replace the windshield under warranty if I want to, or it is just not covered. Thanks.
  • jimervinjimervin Member Posts: 6
    In talking with a dealer on the East coast, I
    was told the configurations for the car that I
    wanted must be ordered. I have read on this forum
    if you want the ML audio, then you will get the
    NAV. What I didn't realize is the AVS is also available only on special order..?? The dealer told me the car is available in only two "standard" configurations;

1. Premium Package
    VSC
    Heated seats
    High intensity headlights
    Wood wheel & shifter
    Trunk mat
    Wheel locks
    MSRP - $36,355.00

2. Navigation/Levinson Package
    Wood wheel & Shifter
    Heated seats
    High intensity headlights
    VSC
    Trunk mat
    Wheel locks
    Power Rear Sunshade
    MSRP - $39,315.00

I think I would like to have the AVS. For anyone that has this feature, is it worth making the special order to get it?
  • rebelskrebelsk Member Posts: 65
    I ended up with a special ordered vehicle because I wanted the Mark Levinson but not the Navigation System. Since it was a special order anyway, I got the AVS system. Its fun to change the settings but there is not that much variance unless you are going from the extremely soft to extremely sporty. If I had just wanted the AVS system, I probably would have passed on it and would not have had to special ordered the car.I will tell you that the setting I keep the car on most with the AVS is one of the more firm settings.
  • jimervinjimervin Member Posts: 6
    I also don't care about the navigation system, but I for sure want the Mark Levinson sound system. If you don't get the nav system, is the Mark Levinson system still controlled by a touch panel screen? Are the controls better when you don't have the nav system?

Thanks in advance...
    Jim
    The Mark Levinson controls are better when you do not get the Navigation system. Instead of having to use the touch screen, you have the radio controls that are the same as the cars without the navigation system. It is much easier to use than to have to deal with the touch screen.
  • sclexussclexus Member Posts: 2
    We picked up our black/ivory 2002 ES 300 3 weeks ago today....options are premium package, HID lights, heated seats, rain sensing wipers (which were used for the first time today), rear sunshade, wood/leather steering wheel. I have enjoyed reading this board since we started shopping around for our new car (back in October).

I have a question regarding the driving time (E/T) mode of the multi-infomational display. The owner's manual says that the driving time will be counted from 0:00 when the engine is started. On our car, it is not automatically resetting when the engine is started, but is counting from where it left off during the last drive. It can be reset when pushing the reset button, so that's not my concern.

Am wondering if this is a glitch in the computer design, or just a problem with our car. Would appreciate feedback as to what others have noticed.

Thanks...
    I just brought my car in for the 5000 mile oil change and have been averaging a little more than 25MPG with a combination of highway and non-highway driving. I got the car in the Starlight Pearl Color with the Mark Levinson System, AVS, VSC, Rain Sensing Wipers, HID Headlamps, Heated Seats, and the Wood Steering Wheel. So far, I really appreciate the sound of the Levinson system which adjusts itself if you open the windows or roof. You can play the system at very high volume and it has fantastic clarity. The HID lamps offer great night vision. I have not quite figured out the rain sensing wipers. They come on at different speeds depending on the rain. The wood wheel and shifter look great and are easy on the touch. The AVS has not been that much of a factor. I do not notice that much difference between the settings and you have to go from very soft to very sporty to really feel a diference. Starlight Pearl is a great exterior color. In the sunlight it appears as light blue and if it is less sunny or cloudy, the car appears silver with a slight bluish hue. Overall, at 5000 miles I am very happy with the car. It is very comfortable to sit in and I drive 70 miles a day. At the rate I am going with miles, I will have about 35000 a year on the car. Are others getting about the same MPG and how are you feeling about the car. I went from a 2000 Acura RL to this car andI enjoy the ES much more thanthe RL.
    sclexus: A slight misinterpretation of the manual. That's not a glitch. It makes sense that the driving time is reset only when you reset it. Let's say I go on a long trip and want to count driving time for the entire trip. Wouldn't it suck if the driving time reset every time I stopped for a break, a bite to eat, gas, etc.?
  • sclexussclexus Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for your response regarding driving time. The main reason I asked the question is that I have driven 2 loaner '01 RX300s recently, and in this vehicle, the E/T does reset to 0:00 every time the engine is started. But...there is also not a reset button on the RX300 for driving time(at least not one that I noticed), so this is the only way that this calculation could be reset. Perhaps this gave me a skewed outlook on things when I read the ES300 manual...the wording does seem a little ambiguous.

Appreciate your feedback.
  • hk2lahk2la Member Posts: 53
    How long did it take to get your license plates? Just thought I'd ask before calling DMV and getting put on hold for two hours. Thanks.
    It took about a month. Temp. registration is good for 6 months, so I haven't put them on yet. That and the fact I haven't had the front license plate bracket installed yet.

Do 2 screws hold on the bracket, and 2 more hold on the license plate to the bracket? Or is it two screws for both bracket and license plate?
  • lexus1lexus1 Member Posts: 14
    To kreativ and hk21a: My dealer took care of ordering my plates and then called me to come in and have them installed while I waited. They put a form-fit bracket on the front that exactly matched the contours of the bumper. Took 15 minutes. That's Lexus service for ya!
    I'm curious if all ES front license plate brackets are the same. Is your front bracket black plastic, and about half the length of a license plate?

It'd be cool if they had color-matched brackets for the ES like they do with the LS.

In California, plates are mailed to the car owner. As for installing a license plate, a screwdriver and 20 seconds is all it takes.
  • hganihgani Member Posts: 4
    Here is how I installed the front license plate bracket without screwing it through the bumper:
    I turn the bracket upside down and install it below the bumper using a couple of toggle bolts through the lower grille. The bracket is just a little taller than the lower grille, so it's the perfect place for it.
    Since the plate is now held at the two lower holes, I use the clear Lexan cover to stiffen it and at the same time protect it from flying debris. The finished installation looks very clean and the bracket can be removed without leaving any holes.

Hope you guys find this info useful.
    I like the idea of mounting the front bracket without putting two holes into the bumper.

How stable is that setup? Would a heavyweight chrome frame along with the Lexan cover be too much?
    A major midwestern newspaper is interested in speaking with folks who have anecdotes and opinions on rear wheel drive vs. front wheel drive in winter driving conditions.
    We're also looking for people who recently switched one way or the other and what they like/dislike about what they're driving now.
    If you are interested in participating, please provide your city/state of residence and your daytime phone number to jfallon@edmunds.com no later than March 20, 2002.
    Thanks as always,
    Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

• hganihgani Member Posts: 4
    The setup is quite stable because the frame/plate is held by 2 good sized metric bolts which you need to buy because Lexus doesn't provide us with them.
    If you are installing heavy chrome frame, and if they are not very stable, you can always screw a couple of smaller sized screws on both sides of the license plate in the area that will be covered by the frame. The license plate bracket is wider than the plate.

BTW, I sent you an email a couple of days ago, but came back undeliverable, will try again today.
    you mentioned you traded your 95 es300. is your trading price compatible with edmunds' tmv. planning to do the same with my 96. thx.
    I actually sold my car to Carmax. I'm not sure if there is one in your area (they were started and are owned by Circuit City).

The dealer was willing to give me $11,000 for my 1995 ES 300 as a trade. Carmax gave me $13,000. They made the experience very easy. I drove my car there along with the estimate they had given me (it's good for seven days or 300 miles). I gave the person my title, and in 20 minutes I had my $13,000 check. My brother was nice enough to drive me home.

To trade at the dealer would have saved me about $750 in taxes, so I netted out gaining $1250 by going to Carmax.

Since I had picked up my 2002 ES 300 earlier that day, I actually owned both a 1995 and a 2002 for a few hours. I didn't want to get rid of my old one until I had the new one in hand (if something dreadful had happened to the new car at the dealer I would have been stuck with no car).

Good luck.
  • rtorrecartorreca Member Posts: 74
    Dealer offering ES300 + Premium Pkg for $34,358.00 with a MSRP of $36,355. Good deal?

Also comparing ES300 to BMW 325 xi. I like the quiet ride of the es300 but like the steptronic auto-tran and looks of bmw. BMW is 33460 (base + premium pkg).

I am ready to buy but can't decide on which one. Wife wants Lexus but I want BMW - although I am afraid that after a few months I will begin to hate the loud engine of the BMW.

I'm 29 with wife and child (1 year old). Which car is a better fit for this profile?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
    The price on the ES 300 is very good. Most dealers around me are giving $500 off max.

I personally prefer the Lexus over the BMW for these reasons:

1. Reliability is better with the Lexus.
    2. Size; the BMW is too small for my liking (and may be a safety issue with a baby).
    3. Interior is much nicer and more upscale in the Lexus.
    4. Dealer service much better with Lexus (my girlfriend's father has a 2001 740iL and the dealer is awful although I realize this varies).
    5. Lexus is a brand new design; the BMW is in its fourth year.

If it means anything, I'm 34 and bought my 1995 ES 300 when I was 27. Two of my friends also have ESs. The BMW is nice, don't get me wrong. I thought briefly about getting a 330i before buying my 2002. But the ES is just so much more car for the money in my opinion.
    thanks for the info. you got a VERY good price for the 95. curious, how many miles you had on the 95.
  • syluisylui Member Posts: 5
    Based on the MSRP of $36,355, I believe the quote not only include premium package, but also Xenon light, VSC, wooden steeling wheel, heated seat, truck mat and wheel lock. If that is the case, then $34,358 quote, off $1,997 from MSRP is a good price. we got $1,500 from VA's dealer one month ago and now we are proud owner of a Mystic Sea exterior ES300. (Our 1st choice was Starlight Blue which was out of production after January's shipment).
This discussion has been closed.