Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus ES 300/ES 330

Comments

• sliangsliang Member Posts: 50
    rtorreca,
    I also thought about getting either a BMW 325i (since I live in CA, I don't need to worry about snow. I lived in NJ for 10 years, I knew what it looks like to drive in a snowy day.), 525i, or Lexus ES300. I test drive the 525i & the ES, and a test drive back in 1999 when the new 3 was just out on the market. I really like the handling of the BMWs, but you cannot beat the quietness and luxury of the Lexus.
    I also has one kid so the 325 is probably too small for us, especially the truck of the 325. The 525 will cost more to have the same options as Lexus. Since I got a VERY good deal for a fully loaded ES, I will live with the dream of driving the BMW.
    By the way, I think the BMW 3 is not at the same quality level of 5 series.
  • lenscaplenscap Member Posts: 854
    My 1995 ES 300 had 40,000 miles. It was black/black and was in great shape. Always serviced and never in an accident (although I had the rear bumper and driver's door repainted several years ago because a careless landscaper put huge scratches in those two places).

I hope my 2002 is as good as the 95 was.
  • ruggedlandruggedland Member Posts: 13
    The on-board computer display of instant gass mileage on my 02 es300 (with less than 1k on it) seems to jump around wildly, and then after a few seconds settles down on 99.9 mpg when cruising on the highway. Anyone else notice the same thing? I know this is probably the least usefull info, but still wonder if there's something wrong.
  • hungrywhalehungrywhale Member Posts: 83
    You think an ES300 is more car for the money than a BMW 330i that costs about the same $?

Man, you need to have your head checked. You may have a tumor.
  • hk2lahk2la Member Posts: 53
    Thanks for the tips, I especially like not putting holes in the bumpers. Okay, I've never looked at the front (or rear) frame, and it's been a long time since I had to install any plates, so I'll just ask the question: is the bracket not already on the frame?
    ruggedland, I've noticed that too. Usually mine displays about 78mpg; it's updated every several seconds (exact no. of seconds in the manual). I guess we'd have to ask the programmer to find out exactly what data is being used for input. Mine usually finds a more accurate reading, ie 19mpg.

btw, auto manufacturers have developed prototypes that could get 70mpg, but the President nixed it in favor of hydrogen.
  • kreativkreativ Member Posts: 299
    A description of how instant MPG is calculated can be found in a previous post somewhere in the ES forum.
    The instant MPG should show:
    When you're stopped - 0.0MPG
    When you're cruising without applying gas - 99.9MPG
    When you're applying gas - somewhere in between

There is no mount on the front bumper itself for a license plate. A bracket must be put on the front bumper so that a license plate can be placed there. For the '02 ES, there are two dimples on the front bumper where the two sharp screws are supposed to be screwed through to hold the bracket in place. Some of us would rather not put two holes in our bumper, so hgani came up with a way of mounting the bracket without having to do so.
    Actually, lenscap did not say "an ES300 is more car for the money than a BMW 330i that costs about the same $" Lenscap simply said the ES300 is more car for the money, which I take to mean for the same amount of cash, you can get a lot more car with the ES, because you'd have to pay more for the same option levels on the BMW 3.
    Actually, my question was where is the bracket, you know, the actual physical bracket. I thought it was already screwed in with the frame. But I will take a look myself.
    The bracket is the black plastic piece, between your license plate and front bumper.
    Most SoCal dealers don't ask for your preference/permission before screwing the bracket onto the front bumper. Some make you sign a waiver (since front license plates are required in Cali). And some leave it up to you and will do it for you during a later service visit.

Other manufacturers like Honda came up with ways to mount a front bracket without puncturing two holes into the bumper. It'd be nice if Lexus did the same for the ES.

The rear license plate doesn't have a bracket, or you could say the bracket is integrated into the body of the car.
    Okay, thanks. But my question was where is it, not where is it supposed to be installed. I'll just take a look. Really, it's been way too long since I've had to consider anything about a new car. btw, I got my plates, I don't like my numbers!
  • modvptnlmodvptnl Member Posts: 1,352
    Why is it being said that you HAVE to use the touch screen to use the stereo if you have NAV with ML?

On/off, volume, scan, search, tuning, AM/FM/CD are all accessible without going through the NAV touch screen.

Presets, bass, treble, balance are all through the screen. A small price to pay for the sheer fun of the NAV.
  • joker2108joker2108 Member Posts: 30
    ANY GOOD DEALS ON LEASE PRICES PLS POST them

Thanks
  • texas83texas83 Member Posts: 107
    Just got my ES 300 yesterday. Bought for what appears to be an excellent deal.... $2000 off MSRP on a Premium Package. Went to Park Place Lexus in Grapevine, TX. Talk to Don Eichorst and tell them Brett from Houston sent you. He's a really nice guy. Got the info. from Citybeancount in Austin.

The ride is incredibly smooth, sufficient power, the interior is great. However, I'm concerned about road noise. A plus for the car was supposed to be that it is EXCEPTIONALLY quiet. This is noted in Consumer Reports, other research that I read, as well as some postings here. My dad agreed the quietness was nothing exceptional, and a friend driving with me seemed to feel more noise was coming form the floor board than it should. The car I test drove seemed very quiet. Being disappointed, after driving mine, I drove my Dad's Cadillac over the same area and found a definite difference in the road noise... the Cadillac being quiet. I'm afraid that wouldn't be something that could easily be fixed. Thought maybe it could be the tires, they are Toyo and I'm unfamiliar with them. Has a similar sound to Toyota. Anyway, does anyone have any suggestions or ideas? It's really bothering me. I'll definitely talk with the dealer next week.
  • mbnut1mbnut1 Member Posts: 403
    I agree that you should expect an extremely quiet car. To a large degree that is what that car is about. What I would suggest is that you go back to the dealer and test drive another over the same stretch of road. Perhaps one with a different brand of tires.
  • rtorrecartorreca Member Posts: 74
    thanks to everyone who responded to my post re: price. Based on your responses, I decided to make the deal. Delivery should be within 2 weeks.

Breakdown:
    Car: ES300
    Pkg: Premium (included HID, VSC, Wood steering wheel)
    Color: Onyx Blue

Price: $34,358

The only part of the deal I am not too happy about is the value of my trade in. I traded in my Black 99 Honda Accord EX-V6 (w/spoiler, 44850 miles) and they were only willing to give me $12,300 for it (I still owe $11,100 for this car).

I got into an accident (hit a deer) with minor damage (driver side only, fender replaced, door replaced-looks new -no dents on either side). They said they could have given me the Edmunds TMV for this car but the accident pretty much depreciated the car. Do you agree with this?

I wanted to get at least $13,500 for a trade in. I'm trading it in because I wanted to avoid the hassle of privately selling it.

So, do you think I am still getting a good deal? Car hasn't been delivered so I can cancel contract and refund my $1000 deposit.

Thanks.
    shiming: I too am hearing the clicking sound you described when I release the brake pedal on my 02 ES300. It's not loud but it's there. Have you found a fix for it? I'll ask the mechanic about this during my 1k checkup next week. Other than that I'm very happy with my car so far.
  • joker2108joker2108 Member Posts: 30
    LEASE PRICES

Could people who LEASED the ES 300 please post your lease deals. I am looking to see what is a fair fprice for leases

thanks in advance
    hk2la read correctly what I said, that an ES 300 is more car for the money vs. a comparably equipped 330i. My fully loaded ES 300 stickered for about $5000 less than the BMW. That stretched to $6500 when you throw in the discounts offered by both dealers.

To get a 330i loaded with NAV for $44,000+ is a lot in my opinion.

As an aside, does anybody know how to program radio stations with the NAV? The book says push the numbered button you want and hold it, but nothing happens. Can anyone help me out?
    ruggedland,
    I haven't able to find a solution for the brake pedal noise. But it seems that the noise may be normal because that is how Lexus designs it, and it does not affect the braking performance at all. I asked my Lexus salesman to verify other 02 ES for the brake pedal noise, he didn't hear any abnormal noise. However he didn't say he did not hear any noise at all. I will go to my local dealer to verify the noise myself when I have a chance. If you have a chance to check out the noise at your 1K checkup, can you please post your result?
    lenscap,
    As I remember when I programmed my preset radio stations, I did exactly like the manual said, tuning to the radio station you want to set, and then press and hold the number button until you hear a beep, then release it, the radio station should be saved. I will double check.
  • sterlssterls Member Posts: 3
    You must make sure that the frequency is either AM, FM1 or FM2 to set the stations. If by chance you have the FM band for the traffic updates it does not work. If you try to program and it does not take, press the FM bottom again and repeat holding the bottom on the desired station, guaranteed to work.
    Thanks, I figured it out last night. I needed to change the radio setting to either FM1 or FM2.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Lease prices are very circumstantial, and no one single price will directly correlate to what you will pay. Lease prices can vary drastically based on options, CAP COST reduction, duration, and milage allotment. Your best bet is to negotiate a vehicle price first as if you were purchasing the car, then tell the dealer that you prefer to lease. That way you will have already haggled the price of the car. Leasing is very complex, and there are set formulas that dealers follow in calculations, the least of which includes a depreciable basis and interest factor. Overall, the lease market is not favorable right now unless there are some incentives on the vehicle- on the ES, there are none. Good Luck.
    ~alpha
    So you paid $38-39k for an ES300?

Man, you really DO have a tumor. You might want to have that checked.
  • jimxojimxo Member Posts: 423
    12,300 on trade will save you around $860.00 in tax, so you need to get better than 13,160.00 from a private party to be worth while.
    Although my car stickered for $39,000+, I paid around $37,000. In my mind there is no other car I'd rather have than the ES 300. The only other serious contender was the BMW 330i. But the car is now in its fourth model year, is teeny-tiny and cost $44,000 with NAV. It drives great, but that's about it. And the dealers are awful.

If you can name a better car for $37,000 than a loaded ES 300 please let me know.
    OK, BMW 325i - loaded.

Audi A4 3.0 - loaded.

Infiniti G35 - loaded.

OR

Lexus ES300 - not quite loaded.

Those are all better cars for the money. Any other questions?

And don't say the 325i isn't comparable because it has less hp. It still outperforms the ES300. The 330i just outperforms the Lexus by a larger margin.
    I test drove the cars you mentioned and bought a Lexus. Enough said.

By the way, please stay away from this board if you don't have anything intelligent to say. We'd like to keep it a place for the Lexus owners to talk about our cars. There are separate boards for the other cars you just mentioned.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Uhhh, ruggedland? Actually, anyone is welcome here, but we do ask that folks remain polite and somewhat on topic. And you are correct, this is the ES 300 topic and there are other topics on all those other vehicles.

It has always seemed to me that the surest way to get someone to hang around and try to bug you is to say what you just said.

If you don't like what someone else has to say, just don't respond. That's my advice.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
    If rugged wants to spend $40k so he can have a Camry with an L on the hood, that's his business.

You know what they say. A fool and his money are soon parted. I just wonder how they got together in the first place.

And when did you drive a G35? They just hit dealers a week or two ago. Maybe you're stretching the truth a bit? The new A4 has only been out a month or two, also. When did you buy your ES?
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    And your comments are not polite as I just said they needed to be.

Can everybody chill now please?

Thanks.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
    I am totally agreed with our host Pat that all people are welcomed to the board, but they need to be polite to other members.
    IMO BMW 325i, 330i, Audi A4 3.0, Infiniti G35, or Lexus ES300 are all VERY nice car. It really depends on which feature is more important to your buying decision and the availability of the vehicle when needed.
    When I was shopping for my next car, all cars above were on the market except G35. I ended up buying a loaded ES300 because I like the exterior style (very objective) and the luxury interior, plus the Lexus buying experience was excellent.
    I did test drive a BMW 525i (not 325i, too small for my family), but it will cost me more to get all the options as ES300. IMO, the BMW NAV is not intuitive like the Lexus. Audi was not on my list because the reliability issues and heard about lots of bad experiences with services. I admit that if G35 was available, I will consider it seriously.
    Some people may say ES300 is just a upgraded Camry with a L symbol, I think that was true for the last generation of ES300, that was why I didn't like it. However, for the 02 ES300, it is a totally different car then the Camry from many points of view, I simply cannot say they are similar any more. So far I am really enjoying my ES300.
    The ES and Camry look eerily similar. Much moreso than the previous generation. It seems Toyota is bringing the two closer again.

Look at them side by side and tell me they don't look alike.
  • larichlarich Member Posts: 3
    A white residue is forming on the rear bumper above the tail pipe on my 00ES300.The Lexus dealer says there is nothing wrong with the engine.I switched gas brands. I do not see this on any other cars.I have had it for two years and it started about six weeks ago. The white substance is a symptom.Has anyone noticed this on any car? Any ideas?
    I think the ES 300 and Camry look less alike than ever before. The side profiles are completely different. The Camry has sharp angles on all side windows, whereas the ES is very rounded. Anyway, I like the look and don't care.

As far as the ES being a fancy Camry: 1. The Camry is a great car to begin with and 2. That's the name of the game in the automotive world today. You like the A4 but what is that - just a fancy Passat. Even the new Chrysler wagon will be getting numerous parts from Mercedes.

As for the cars you like:

1. BMW 325i loaded - I find this car to be nothing special at all (unless someone wants a great handling car). It is WAY too small, has a cheap interior compared to the ES, worse sound system and worse dealer service. Just sit in the car; it does not feel like an expensive car at all. Further, I bought my car and plan to keep it 6-7 years. Lexus' 7/100 extended warranty was $1,200.
    BMW's was (gulp!) $2,500. And, maintenance items outside the free period are more expensive than the ES.

2. Audi A4 - Would never consider it for two reasons. 1. The resale value is horrible and 2. I have known Audi owners and the electrical problems are a big concern. The car is just not as reliable as a Lexus.

3. Infiniti G35 - Seems like a nice car. But the interior, again, is not as nice as the ES. And Infiniti also suffers from poor resale value. And I've said before, I would never consider an Infiniti until they straighten themselves out. They bring models out, drop them completely (M30 and J30), started using cheap materials then switched back, etc. I do not want to buy a G35, have it for six years, only to find the G35 does not even exist anymore. The company just does not impress me.

You may think the above three cars are better for the money. But that's your opinion, not fact.

Performance is just one aspect of buying a car. When I took into account the entire car (all elements), the ES 300 was a no-brainer winner. That's not say other people like yourself do not like it. And that's fine. But I love my car. I hope you're as happy with whatever it is you drive.
    lenscap,
    You said the Lexus 7/100 extended warranty was $1,200. Did you buy it for the 02 ES?
    The current MSRP for 7/100 for the 02 ES is $1,625 on the Lexus web site. If you did buy it at $1,200, you got a really good deal.
    Can you provide your salesman info for me?
    Yes, I did pay $1,200 for the 7/100 extended warranty on the 2002 model. I negotiated the price. Let me check with the dealer to make sure they're okay that I tell people what I paid. If they say okay, I'll give you the dealer and business manager's name.

As an aside, the same warranty on my 1995 ES 300 was $595.
  • george00george00 Member Posts: 81
    Several posters have compared the ES300 with the Camry. I understand they do have components in common. I have a 2002 Camry LE4. I like it very much except for the driver's seat (power). After a couple of hours behind the wheel, my back hurt. So I bought sheepskin covers, but they only helped a little. So I took it to an auto upholsterer who sliced bits off the bolsters - and made the problem much worse. So I took it to another upholsterer. The first thing he did was to point out a hard metal bar which could be felt through the factory foam and was cutting into my shoulder blades. He took that out and I felt an immediate improvement. I should have left well enough alone, but the upholsterer said he could make the seat still better by adding foam in the same area, which he did. The result is so bad I've had to order a new foam insert from Toyota (which they don't have in stock). When it comes, I think I will simply have it slipped on without the metal bar, and without the hog rings which attach the foam to the frame via the metal bar. Hopefully, that will fix things. If not, I may try leather, though the upholsterer says he doesn't see why that would help. If nothing else does help, I wonder: would it be possible to put the driver's seat from a Lexus ES200 into my Camry? Moreover, has anybody tried both seats? How do they compare?
  • cwdavis1cwdavis1 Member Posts: 31
    Twice this week I test drove the new Infiniti G-35. It is a great car. Very fast and very comfortable. You do feel like your are driving a sports sedan, which you are. Along with that however, goes a harsher ride which at this stage in my life, is not what I wanted. Immediately after the G-35 test, I went and test drove the 2002 ES 300 which I loved. It was smooth, quiet and very comfortable absorbing all road imperfections effortlessly. Not fast, but adequate. It was just a pleasure to drive and I like the looks as did my wife.

While I see the G-35 as a great car, it appeals to a different market than those looking at the ES 300. Both cars I expect will be very reliable but the ES's interior is richer looking and more appealing to my tastes. At 50, the ES features and qualities appeal to me. Ten years ago, I would be a G-35 buyer.

In any event, you can't go wrong with either car.

I was interested in the Blue Onyx and the Starlight Pearl and would like to know how people like the Starlight Pearl. The latter looks like silver with pearl in it...is that correct? I think I may have seen one but am not sure. Am moving from the midwest to S. Calif. this summer and may wait until then to buy. What kind of deals are you all getting from LA area dealers and what dealer is giving the best deal. Thanks.
    Thanks for the G35 vs ES comparison. I think the G35 would attract far more would-be IS buyers than ES buyers. I'd buy a G35 over an IS.

You'll get a better price if you wait until moving to S. Calif (where to?) before buying. Prices will be cheaper by summer, and thanks to a dozen or so Lexus dealers in the area, competition is strong and you'll get the best deal in SoCal.

$1000 over invoice has been had by a couple forum visitors buying in SoCal. They purchased (or at least finalized the deal) last November/December. If CarsDirect pricing is any indication of ES price trends in So Cal, prices continually dropped until last December. Then, it went up in January and has stayed stagnant since. If I were you, I'd shoot for paying no more than $1000 over invoice. And deal exclusively over the Internet with each of the dealers first. Keep the mentality that Lexus salesman are no more honest/dishonest than any other car salesman. I've run into some [non-permissible content removed] fleet and sales managers at a couple Lexus dealers.

Previous posts here have mentioned that Starlight Pearl has been discontinued, and that the color is anything from a baby blue to silver depending on lighting conditions.
  • lexus1lexus1 Member Posts: 14
    Ahh, a truly unique bit of the paint technician's art. Seriously folks. I've had my Starlight Pearl 02 for 30 days now and have had a compliment almost every day (no I don't just drive it by my family!) In bright sunlight, it is a pale baby blue with some silver in it. In the shade it is silver and on a cloudy day it is a very light silver gray. The pearl paint process gives a depth to the paint that allows the different pigment elements to reflect differently in direct, indirect and flat light. Also, my salesman showed me the manufacturing reports for the South west region and there are very few Starlight Pearls being made each month -- so you have a unique color.
    Excellent commentary. I feel the same way. We have a 100MPH boat, offroad toys and we still have the Cobra for the occasional blasts. The ES is an anti-BMW if you will. Don't have to pretend you're a boy racer, don't have anything to prove to anyone. Just a quiet, refined get away. Sometimes priorities change or are different from the start. The ES isolates. Sometimes that's what we want.

I think from now on we will always have at least one car the pampers us.
    A few weeks ago, a brand new Camry parked near my brand new ES. I admit, I was very pleased to see how different they look. My Lexus has fine, beautiful lines and smooth, flowing curves. More like a piece of art than a car (okay, I bought into the commercial).
    Hungrywhale drives a Hyundai.
  • cwdavis1cwdavis1 Member Posts: 31
    Kreativ-Thanks for your guidance on pricing. I will take that into consideration when negotiating. And I agree with you that the G-35 is best compared to the IS 300 but I have not test driven the IS and do not plan to. Expect to move to LA area (most likely Hollywood Hills--used to live in Woodland Hills) sometime this summer.

Lexus1-Thanks to you too for your wonderful description on Starlight Pearl. Lexus has done a wonderful job in selecting paint colors that are unique.

Modvptnl- You have a toy I have coveted for years--the Cobra. Had a friend in college that had one on campus some many years ago....and have enjoyed that vehicle ever since. Is it as fun to drive as it appears and sounds??
    It's a blast and I only put a couple hundred miles a month on it now. Since it's been totally repainted I can't bear to subject it to the gravel pits we call freeways.

It's a mint '97 that has a Borla cat back system on it and the DOHC V8's 305 horses sound bitchen' at 7000 RPM.

The car is sideways most of the time when I take it out.

Alas, all good things must come to an end. I'm about to close a deal on a 1/2 acre of land with an incredible view of the strip. The guys giving me 16K for the car. BUT HE'LL BE MY NEIGHBOR so I can still be close to my baby!!!!
  • rebelskrebelsk Member Posts: 65
    I also got the 2002 ES in Starlight Pearl and I think that Lexus anticipated that the color was not going to be popular. My understanding is that it is not being made on the east coast at all as lexus reps thought the color would not sell. I think it i a great color because of the changes in the amount of light. By the way, I tried Meguiars wax on mine today and it gives the color quite a gleaming look.
    Does anybody know what the small clear plastic strips are for on the outside of the car? They are at the bottom of the rear doors, between the door and wheel well, and are about 3-4" tall.

My salesman didn't know why they are there but told me to leave them.

Any thoughts?
    lenscap,
    I think those plastic strips are just for protection of your rear door edges when you open your doors. You can buy after market products to do the same thing, but the clear one looks much better.
This discussion has been closed.