Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus ES 300/ES 330

Comments

• stejstej Member Posts: 4
    I test drove a loaded 6 cyl. Camry and an ES before ordering the ES. Yes, they look a little alike. Yes, they share some parts. But the similarities end there imo. I found the Camry, even with the 6, a little underpowered for my taste. The 18 hp made a difference for me. The leather interior was ordinary -- not bad, just ordinary. All the interior appointments are nice, but not the quality of an ES. The Camry is quiet, but the ES is like a library.

That being said, the Camry is a great car for its market. But I did not want to buy a $31,000 Camry when I could get an ES for a few thousand more.

The ES is NOT a sports luxury sedan. If you want one, I would buy an i35 or G35. They are both excellent cars with 255-260 hp, but they just lack the refinement of the ES. You can probably get a great deal on the i35 as it is being eclipsed by the G and its rwd platform. (I have not driven the TL or the 3 series lately so I cannot make a fair comparison.)
  • rubicon52rubicon52 Member Posts: 191
    the Camry and ES300 sharing a platform is that is reduces the price of the ES300. If the ES300 was a unique platform (like the LS), there would be fewer units over which to spread development costs and the ES300 would cost more. To me, the platform sharing makes perfect sense. Want a Camry, but don't want to pay more than 20K? Get a 4 cylinder LE. Want more options and are willing to pay 25-30K? Get a V6 Camry XLE. Want better materials, more options, and better treatment at the dealer? Get an ES300.
  • nschulman3nschulman3 Member Posts: 125
    I lease an IS 300 sportcross. Last week, I had an ES 300 loaner from lexus for 5 days. The car was so smooth and quiet. I really enjoyed it. That being said, I was very happy to get back into my is 300 yesterday. Granted the cars are not similar at all, but they're both excellent.
  • sage5891sage5891 Member Posts: 9
    Have a '98 ES300 which also had some light scratching and swirl marks on both the wood console and door handle area. I used GS27 and the results were fantastic. I simply followed the instructions by rubbing the product in a circular motion lightly over the damaged area and wiping dry w/ a soft cotton cloth. As an added benefit, the resultant shine was just like new.
    IMHO, this product doesn't work very well for it's intended purpose, i.e. scratch removal on metal surfaces. But it worked great for me on the ES300's wood surfaces.
  • modvptnlmodvptnl Member Posts: 1,352
    You got some huevos!!!! I'd be scared spitless to try that on the wood!!!
  • kreativkreativ Member Posts: 299
    Be careful which products you use to remove scratches and swirl marks from your wood. Scratch/swirl mark removers work through microabrasion, meaning you'll be removing some of the top protective clear coat to reduce the appearance of scratches and swirl marks.

Personally, I wouldn't let them "fix" the problem for you. They could get the scratches out as long as they're not too deep, but they're not going to care how much of the clear over-layer they're removing. As long as they remove enough so that the scratches and swirl marks "disappear" and that you're happy visually with it. And I doubt you'd want that.
  • jbrettzjbrettz Member Posts: 3
    My wife just ordered the ES 300. She loves the ride, the luxury and the quiteness of the car, plus the NAV system. She currently drives my 740i Sport which she likes but tires of the tight firm ride. Once she drove the ES she fell in love with it. Yes it's power is no where near the BMW but it's good enough for her. She didn't consider the GS because we already have the BMW, she wanted a totally different ride. The NAV system on the Lexus is light years ahead of the BMW sad to say.
    Summing up, it really depends on what kind of ride a person desires most.
  • wwh11wwh11 Member Posts: 7
    Folks - I'm in the market for a 2002 ES300. The MSRP says $32,080 (include destination charge), but I call my local dealer (upsate NY), and was told to expect $38k. If any of you wouldn't mind sharing the info on what you paid for your ES300, and where you got it from, it would be extremely helpful to help me negotiating and making decision. Particularly folks in upstate NY and NJ area, your help would be greatly appreciated. Thank. WHH
  • rdl40rdl40 Member Posts: 60
    lenscap, what if (hypothetically) you blindfolded your wife had her drive both cars
    (fully equipped) Camry and the ES one after the other.
    Do you think she would "really" notice the difference? Could she tell that the ES had the 5-speed and "evs" whatever that is?
    That one feels more quiet than the other?

Maybe it's just the Lexus badging that makes you think so. Because she'd rather tell her friends
    and neighbors that "yes" I drive a Lexus rather
    than a Toyota Camry.
    Car companies are clever indeed in their marketing ploys and strategies.
  • lexus411lexus411 Member Posts: 12
    See post 2217..

You should know the car without a special order is built in basically two configuration. One without the Nav/ML Audio and one with. In all cases the car comes with leather. The MSRP is about 34,xxx(No Nav/ML) or about 38,xxxx(no VSC) to a little over 39K(with VSC).
    I'm seeing the "ES is a Camry with an L badge" comment again, just slightly reworded.

Telling between a Camry and an '02 ES blindfolded is too easy.
    But why would you think of going blindfolded when the interior quality, luxury, and visual appeal help set the two apart?
    It's like telling someone to not consider the power of the engine in a Porsche to make a comparison.

And yes, there certainly is a price to pay for the name brand alone...which applies to any luxury brand.
  • modvptnlmodvptnl Member Posts: 1,352
    Why don't YOU do it and let us know what you find.

Better yet, instead of starting crap with people who overwhelmingly love their cars, why don't you blindfold your wife and compare the BMW to the much less expensive Japanese sport sedans and let us know those results.

I find it amusing that you tried to rattle the cage with the ES's lack of performance....the owners here agreed with you. Than you go after the price difference....think it was shown there is some extra content for the extra 6K (not the 15K like someone mistakingly(?) reported.

Now it's a challenge that lexus owners couldn't tell the diff blindfolded between an ES and Camry.

You sir are here for one reason.....and it's called being a troll.

Go buy the BMW, it's what floats your boat.
  • hk2lahk2la Member Posts: 53
    Are you kidding? If you test drive the Lexus ES 300 and a Toyota Camry and can't tell the difference, then you're a total and complete idiot. Blindfolded, you can feel the difference in weight. And the quietness and the smoothness and the power. And if you're not blindfolded, as you shouldn't be when driving, and you can't SEE the difference, then you really are blind and should not be driving at all.

I test drove the two (basic ES, loaded Camry), back to back, and your supposition is completely ludicrous.
  • lenscaplenscap Member Posts: 854
    A few responses to your comments:

1. I am not married (have a girlfriend though), so nobody drives my car but me. Therefore, the only person that cares whether or not it's a Lexus is me.

2. I've driven the new Camry, and there is a difference. In particular, there is a huge difference with the AVS option, especially when it is set on the "sport" mode.

3. Why did I but the Lexus over the Camry? Here are just a few reasons:

- I much prefer the outside styling
    - The Lexus interior in world's ahead of the Camry's in look and feel
    - I wanted HID headlights
    - Having owned a Lexus before, I love the service and treatment at the dealer
    - I like being able to get a loaner car (a Lexus no less) for items as simple as an oil change so my schedule is not disrupted

I could go on, buy suffice it to say those are the major reasons.

4. As far as saying I drive a Lexus vs. any other car, I could really care less. I am not like that and really don't like people who are. You are dead wrong in inferring I would rather drive a Lexus than a Camry. That had NOTHING to do with my purchase. My life does not center around impressing others.

5. You're looking as the car as a nicer Camry. However, many people see it as a bargain compared to other luxury cars. My girlfriend's father has a 2001 BMW 740iL, and he actually likes my car better when the price is taken into consideration. Nicer interior, better NAV, better stereo, better dealer service, better build quality, etc. I'm not saying the ES 300 compares to a 740iL, but you get my point.

Anyway, I could go on, but suffice it to say I love my car, it was right for me, and that's that. If you don't like the car, that's fine too. But the car is selling well enough to prove that Lexus has hit the target with this car.
  • peterorkinpeterorkin Member Posts: 3
    I am interested in leasing the new ES300, sat in it while my RX300 was in the shop (excellent SUV), and came away perplexed. Due to the rake of the windshield and the high instrument panel, there was very little room to see out! I raised the seat enough to almost hit my head on the roof, and still felt restricted. My dealer said several other people (including one who sat in it after me!) complained, too. How can Lexus design cars this way? Has anyone else had this problem? I had to cross it off my list!
  • dknndknn Member Posts: 6
    As luck would have, my car is due for state inspection this month and my driver side turn signal is flashing quicker than the right. When I visually inspected the light, it is still working but it is dimmer than the passenger side. When you turn on the headlights, both sides have the same output. My problem is that when I tried to change the bulb, its impossible. There is also a technical service bulletin on signals flashing abnormally. My car is still under warranty, do you think the dealer will fix for free?
    I actually like the seating position of the ES 300, and I keep my seat as far down as possible.

For one, I can see out just fine. Second, the seating position, with the high dash, imparts a more luxurious feel. Cheaper cars (and this is not a knock on any car) typically have lower cowls and superior visibility.

It may all be what you're used to. When I get an RX 300 for a loaner I'm thinking how can someone drive this? But if I had one for a while I'd get used to it.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    If your car is still under the basic (so called "bumper to bumper") warranty, the dealer HAS to fix it for free. Maybe there is something I don't know about the Lexus warranty, but I thought "free" within the specified time/milage is what defines a warranty.
    ~alpha
  • wwh11wwh11 Member Posts: 7
    Did ES300 get a facelift in 2001, or 2002? Thanx.
    The ES 300 received a facelift for the 2000 model year. That version was also sold in 2001. Then, of course, the all-new 2002 came out.

Revisions added to the 2000-01 models included:

1. Wood trim on the entire center dashboard
    2. Revised tailights w/clear turn indicators
    3. ES 300 badge moved from the trunklid to the taillight
    4. Revised front bumper and grille
    5. Newly optional HID headlights; if the car has them the headlight cluster is different than non-HID cars
    6. Newly optional 16" wheels with a design different from the 15"
    7. New-style rear seat headrests

There may have been more minor stuff but these changes were the more noticeable ones.

Hope this helps.
  • fredvhfredvh Member Posts: 857
    I am considering buying the 2002 ES300 or a used 2000, 2001 ES300. I see that you had both. How does the old generation compare to the new? What has been the mpg with the old vs. the new? Is the new 5-speed more economical than the old 4-speed or is there no difference? I am also considering the Acura 3.2TL, Infiniti I35, and the Toyota Camry and even the new (2003) Honda Accord. I would appreciate your thoughts on my concerns. I am sensitive to mpg based on what can happen at any time to the cost of gasoline.
    Of course I'll tell you how great I think the 2002 ES 300 is. I love the car. And it is a huge improvement over my 1995 ES 300. In addition to all the new amenities, the overall structure of the car is much more sound (and the 1995 wasn't bad). The 2002 is really like a baby LS 430, whereas I couldn't necessarily say that about my 1995. If you haven't already, I recommend taking one for a drive.

As for mileage, I've only driven about 350 miles with the 2002, so I can't comment on that yet. I never calcualted the mileage with my 1995, but I think it was around 20 in mostly stop-and-go driving.

I'm not sure about the mileage of the 5-speed vs. 4-speed, but the new transmission is smoother.

As for the other cars you're looking at, here's what I think (just one man's opinion):

1. Acura TL is a great car that is sportier than the Lexus and a little less expensive. My only hesitation would be that the car will be redesigned in a year or two. If that does not bother you this is a great car.

2. I would not buy an Infiniti I35. First, the car is being dropped in a year or two. Infiniti even states in their full-line brochure that all their cars in the future will be RWD or AWD, meaning the I35 is gone. That will kill the resale value. Second, I am just not impressed by this car. Remember, it was designed and built when Nissan was in a financial crisis, and the cost cutting is evident. Sales numbers give a good indication of what the market thinks of a car, and the I35 doesn't sell nearly as well as the ES 300 or TL.

3. I also love the Toyota Camry. The only thing you're giving up is the luxury-division image and service. If this is okay with you, you can't go wrong here.

4. The 2003 Accord will no doubt be a great car and probably sportier than the Camry. As with the Camry, if you're okay with the non-luxury dealer this is one of the best cars you can buy.

From a mileage standpoint all of the above cars should be close to each other. It just depends what excites you.

Good luck and let me know if you have any other questions.
  • ruggedlandruggedland Member Posts: 13
    Don't know if others have similar problem, but the driver seat back on my 02 ES300 makes some squeaking noise when I lean hard against it. Took it to the dealer, and they had some seating expert in to repair it, but it's still there. In the end the dealer agree to swap it with another car. I also posted about a minor issue with the brake pedal making a clicking sound when released, I was told it's due to the brake pedal hitting the pedal stop (entirely normal). Indeed I tried a few other new ES300 (and even one LS430) and they all make that sound. Oh well, I guess Toyota isn't known for their brakes.

In response to an earlier post about driver position, I don't find it to be a problem myself. In fact, I find it a lot better than that of Acura TL. It provides ample headroom for a 6' guy like me.

This is my first Lexus, and so far I'm pretty impressed with the Lexus services.
  • lexus_onelexus_one Member Posts: 22
    Ruggedland: Same problem with the seat on my Lexus. The dealer repaired it at the last service, not sure what he did, he picked up and returned the car, never asked what the cure was.

IMO the Lexus service department gives excellent service much better than the Toyota dealer with a previous Camry.
  • jmw4jmw4 Member Posts: 67
    The service offered by Lexus is good but they do find a way to charge for the free loaners and car washes. Charging $45.00 for an oil change and $99.00 if you add in a tire rotation and a check of fluid levels is rather hefty. The 15,000 mile checkup which includes the above plus some more inspect this, inspect that runs about $300. I was wondering if anyone has used the toyota dealers to perform much of the routine maintenance since they charge about 35 - 40% less for comparable service. Had an Acura TL before this ES and they were about the same on service cost as Honda while also providing loaners and washes.
    How did you like the 3.2TL? I am considering that auto along with the ES300? What year did you have? Any trouble? How does it compare to the ES?
  • orkinporkinp Member Posts: 15
    I had a 1998 TL (before model change): It ran absolutely perfectly: never even had an alignment, returned the car with the original tires after 39 months. Cost about $80 each time for maintenance. That's why I'm really pulled to Acura. I DO have an RX300, and that ran for 4yrs almost as well, except for much higher maintenance costs, and a second set of tires.
    I had a 99 TL for 3 years. Overall, I liked it slightly better than the 2001 ES I now have. I had not a single problem over the 30,000 miles I had it. The Acura was a little faster, and more fun to drive. Slightly less quiet than the lexus. Unfortunately, Acura does not put an 8 way power drivers seat on any of their cars for the passenger seat. Without being able to raise it up, it sits somewhat low and my wife would get a back ache when riding. I thought the drivers seat was much more confortable than the ES which I feel lacks some in thigh support. The ES does have the 8 way on the passenger side.
    Did the 99 TL have the 5-speed? What kind of mpg were you getting on mostly highway driving? What mpg are you getting on the ES300?
    Here is my dilemma: I prefer the ES300 but that will run, at least for now, around 35K and will include higher maintenance and higher insurance costs than the TL. The TL will cost approx. 29K, has slightly lower insurance and maintenance costs but the warranty is only 4/4 whereas the ES300 has 4/6.
    Then the new Accord comes out in the fall of this year which certainly will be a worthwhile choice too since it will probably be better than the current Accord, which is still a fine automobile. Any opinions?
    For those getting good gas mileage with your '02 ES, what has your avg. MPH been?
    I'm getting pretty lame MPG...15.x, at an avg. MPH a little under 20MPH. No, I don't drive like an old fogie. :) It's just been my local around-town car.
  • hunter001hunter001 Member Posts: 851
    The 99 TL came with a 4-speed (with sportshift) and the EPA rated it at 19/27 city/hwy. The 2000 TL onwards, it has been a 5-speed Automatic with sportshift and is EPA rated at 19/29 city/hwy. The more powerful TL-s (which shares the same 5-speed transmission)is also rated at the same mileage by the EPA.

In the regular 40%city/60%hwy commute of mine, my 2000 TL returns 22-25mpg depending on how aggressive I was with the throttle. In all-highway trips with speeds ranging from 65-90mph, the car nets around 32mpg. On a certain all-highway trip with the speed kept at a steady 70mph (which I rarely do), the car returned 36mpg,which is phenomenal for such a large car with a powerful V6 engine.

Later...AH
    My 2001 ES gets about 19 in suburban driving and 27 on the highway with regular gas. I used to put premium in the TL and got about the same combo of mileage. The 2002 ES will be considerably more expensive than a TL. I also know that the new ES is overall an upgraded version than my 2001 ES. Having owned both cars, I would save the money and buy the TL. Acura gives all the service perks of Lexus and for my experience charges Honda service prices. The new Lexus is quieter and a little more luxurious than the TL but the TL is not bad either in this area and faster and more fun to drive. I have yet to have a mechanical problem with either vehicle in 4 years of driving. I wish the same could be said for my trailblazer but thats a subject for another site.
  • gambiamangambiaman Member Posts: 131
    I have a 00 ES300 and a 01 RX300 and I have Toyota do the oil changes at 5K intervals. I did have the 15K done at Lexus for both and each cost about $200 and were mainly inspections (did replace wiper blades-about $20 worth). The only maintenance from now on that I plan to have done at Lexus is the 30K intervals. Maybe 45K or 50K since that is getting near end of warranty. Toyota said they could not do 30K for RX. Don't know about ES since I did not ask but may get same answer. Something about using different fluids. Toyota also said they did not recommend brake fluid replacement which is a specific requirement on the RX at 30K and I think the ES at 30K. ES has only 15k so haven't really starting reading requirements for the 30K service.
  • micalenemicalene Member Posts: 7
    Tuesday we picked up the new ES at JM Lexus in Margate Fl. near Fort Lauderdale. It is black with a black pearl trim kit (actually dark graphite grey) and it looks great. (Am looking into having the door handles and license plate holder also done in black pearl if I can find out where).Got a great deal on this car with the premium pkg. and trim kit. I can't say how much, but they were totally competitive with the Dallas area dealer, and the only one that I found in the deep southeast to do so. Contact Sydney Culver at culver@jmlexus.com. She is a gem to work with and the dealership is probably the best Lexus dealer that I have experienced. The new ES is really a fantastic car.
  • tk_dettk_det Member Posts: 21
    02ES300 with about 2500 miles. I get about 22 mph which includes city and xway commuting. Yesterday I filled the tank up, reset the info settings and the first driving I did was a 30 mile freeway drive at about 75 mph. Avg mpg was 26 and rising when I finished my trip. Hope this helps
    Congrats on the car. I've never been to JM Lexus, but I've heard their dealership is incredible. They are the largest volume Lexus dealer in the country.
  • sliangsliang Member Posts: 50
    My ES now has 3K miles, the average mileage is around 23.5 mpg, and I have been doing 50/50 city and freeway driving. The car is just running smoother each day.
  • lexus_onelexus_one Member Posts: 22
    My driving consists of 70% hwy 30% city mileage averaging 27mpg. Service costs 55.00 including complete cleaning, pickup and delivery. They leave a loaner that I am allowed to use if required.
    gambiaman: $200 for a 15,000 inspection sounds good in comparison to my dealer's $300. I have found that some Toyota dealers will do all the Lexus maintenance and some will only take on oil changes and other similar maintenance. I will also try do have as much done at Toyota as possible since the cost averages about 35% less.
  • gdb55gdb55 Member Posts: 14
    I've seen several posts refer to a "processing" or "documentary" fee ranging from $189 to $489 when purchasing a new ES300. What is this fee supposed to represent? Is it negotiable as being just an item of extra profit, or is this an actual expense incurred by the dealer?
    Maybe it varies by state. The document fee for purchase of a new Lexus was $45 for my friend and I (from different dealers in soCal).
  • gambiamangambiaman Member Posts: 131
    Both the dealers in my area charge a "processing fee", one $399 and the other $499. I think it is just additional profit. One dealer wants to add it on the top and the other included it in the out the door price. With all the profit they are already making I think it is ridiculous to add on another 400 or 500 hundred dollars.
    Here were the charges outside of the price of the car and sales tax:

Document Preparation Fee (not a governmental fee): $45
    State fees (In Cali, the dealer takes care of registering the car. Plates are sent by mail to the car owner.) -
    License Fees: $260
    California Tire Fee: $5

My window sticker shows a "Delivery, Processing, and Handling fee" of $575, but that is almost always assumed to be included in the negotiated price of the vehicle (since it's part of the "sticker price"). If you settle on a price and then they tack on a "processing fee", that's just their way of getting some more money out of you.
  • rtorrecartorreca Member Posts: 74
    i took delivery of my blue onyx es300 (with prem pkg, hid, wood steering wheel, vsc ) yesterday.

All my friends love it. Wife is very happy, but me - not so much. I wish I could return the damn thing.

Not as quiet as I originally thought when I test drove it 3 times 3 weeks ago. The tires on my car is Michelin xv4 - same as the accord coupe I traded in. These tires are noisy!

Also noticed some rattles on the passenger side on some roads - roads that aren't even that rough. Sort of disappointed to hear 1 hour after picking up vehicle.

I am not happy at all with the transmission. Acceleration is weak and the shifting is not smooth. Even though this car has 10 more horses than my previous accord, it does not have the same passing power as the accord - takes too long to downshift and can feel it shifting. Not quick off the line either.

Another thing - steering wheel. The reset and mode buttons are useless. Why couldn't they just make it a skip and volume buttons for the cd?

In retrospect, I decided to buy this car because IMHO, it is the best in the entry-level luxury class. Acura TL: rattles; Infiniti: feels cheap; Benz and BMW: overpriced. I settled for the es300 because I can't afford a BMW 330xi (325xi is underpowered).

Sorry for the long post... I had to vent.
    Did any of you ES300 owners consider the Mazda Millenia when you were looking for your automobile? Supposedly they are selling for about $7000 under MSRP which puts it around 22K. The base model includes all the goodies. They seem to be well-built according to reliability studies. I have not really seen one as of yet and have not driven one either. The engine(2.5L) might be a little small but that does not really bother me. Any comments?
  • parnolaparnola Member Posts: 141
    I believe this is the last year for the Millenia. I drove one a couple years ago and felt it was a bit unrefined. Nice car, just not in the class of the ES 300. If they are available at the price you mention (~$22k) then it may be a tempting alternative to a Camry or Accord.
  • jmainesjmaines Member Posts: 2
    I do not live in N.Carolina but purcrchase my cars there. I pay only my home state sales-title-tag cost, never any N.C. State fees, just the dealers own paperwork add-on fee.
  • sage5891sage5891 Member Posts: 9
    Have a '98 ES300 with 98,150 miles. Purchased as a CPO in Feb.'99. My right front wheel bearing was replaced a little over a year ago at 70,591 miles.
    Today, at an independent garage, while in for my NY state inspection, I'm told the same wheel bearing is 'shot'. There was some noticeable 'left to right wiggle' or play in the wheel.
    I called the local Lexus dealer and have an appointment @ 11 A.M. tomorrow (Tuesday). I told the service manager about the recent repair and felt that a bearing should last longer then 17,500 miles and some 13 months. Normal warranty on this part, I'm told, is 12 months/12,000 miles. As an added twist, my 3 yr/100,000 mile warranty expired about a month ago. Talk about timing. Assuming the bearing needs replacing, I was told by the service manager that they would 'work out a deal'. To you Lexus experts out there, what do you think an equitable deal should be? A no charge replacement, which is what I'm obviously hoping for; or,some sort of shared cost responsibility?
    Finally, what would would cause 2 bearings on the same wheel to go bad? I'm told that this is very unusual.
  • bexleybexley Member Posts: 10
    Okay, I finally did it, I made the purchase of a 2002 Lexus ES300 in Garnet (looks black in the dark, purplish in the light...nice color), w/ all options (except for the power sunshade). Got it for around $37k out the door. Originally, I hadn't planned on getting the Navigation system or the Mark Levinson, but one listen to the ML system and I was hooked. So far, I'm more than impressed with the car. I picked up the car (Good!) Friday evening, and I've really had the chance to drive it through the weekend. I already have taken several family members and friends out in vehicle, and they are absolutely impressed as well. My inlaws thought that the car must sell in the $50k range, and now everybody wants one. (they're thinking about trading in their Infiniti QX4 already), and I took some family friends out who are going for the ES300 after the lease ends on their Avalon.
    My wife and I really struggled between the Acura TL (which is a very fine car), the Mercedes C320 (which is also a fine car, but pricer). In the end the Lexus won us over, and we just couldn't justify picking the two other cars over it. Here are my impressions:
    Ride: Smooth as my other car the LS400. I went for the AVS suspension, and that's a real treat. Dial in sport, and it handles equal to the Acura TL, set to comfort, and its got the ride of the LS400. So smooth, you almost seeks out bumps to drive over just to feel the car soak them up. The handling is there, especially in sport mode, but this is no sport sedan and does not like to be rushed.
    Acceleration: Average, I guess I'm use to the power surge in my LS400, but this is no V8. After driving the car for awhile, I realize that it has plenty of power, it just doesn't seem to go very fast because its so smooth. Mash the gas pedal, and you're at 40 so smoothly. I only wish the car had alittle more power for highspeed highway passing.
    Transmission: A slight disappointment. The 5-speed is great to have for a smooth quiet ride with very good fuel economy (I've gotten average 25mpg in a mixed city/highway travel). Upshifts are smooth and go unnoticed. Come out of a turn, and accelerate and the car hestitates before downshifting. You really need to dip into the pedal to create a downshift. It's nothing major, and really my only quibble with the car.
    Interior: Creamy, buttery leather (I've only felt leather better in the highest end Jaguars). Beautiful wood finish throughout the interior and steering wheel. I really like the combination of the dark exterior with the ivory interior. Also, I've noticed that Lexus has included leather on all door panels and door handles (a nice touch not seen in competition). The navigation system is a real toy, and seems to draw the most attention from guests. The 3D instrument gauges are a Lexus trademark, and serve the car well, however they slightly wash out with polarized sunglasses.
    Stereo: If you are considering purchasing this vehicle, the Mark Levinson system is a must! It beats out the Nakamichi in the previous LS400. I honestly, am whipping out old CD's to listen to in the system, just to hear new instruments and vocal quality that have not been heard (not even in my Bose Acoutimass home unit!). ML is the best audio system on the market, period.
    Dealership: The nicest and most professional sales staff. Lexus goes above and beyond the call of duty. My wife received a bouquet of flowers today thanking us for the purchase, you just can't beat Lexus customer service.

Overall, I love the car if you haven't already figured out. The funny thing is that the car is for my wife! That means I won't be driving it much :( Maybe she'll let me drive it, and she can have my LS400. I know I'm praising the Lexus, but I'm now the converted, do yourself a favor if considering this market, and test drive the car for yourself, if you're like me...you'll be very satisfied.

-Tom
    Congratulations on the new car. I too am considering between the TL and the ES300 but there is a 6K difference here. Do you feel it is justified? How does the TL compare to the ES300? What was MSRP on your vehicle? It sounds like you got a good deal but I do not know the details such as sales tax, MSRP, etc.
    Please keep us informed as to mpg, problems, etc. as the miles roll on. Where do you live? Thanks again for sharing your buying experience.
This discussion has been closed.