Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Lexus ES 300/ES 330

Comments

• Options
    sddlwsddlw Member Posts: 361
    With the discussion turning to tires, I'm curious if anyone has gone for a wider, lower profile tire on their ES and what, if any differences in handling and comfort have they experienced.

My 2000 ES came with 205/60-16 MXV4's. A perfomance tire shop I frequent has said that I could go up to 225's with a corresponding reduction in tire profile and still keep the original rims.

In general, with other cars in the past, I have found going to wider tires has improved my perception of the car's handling and ride characteristics. Better traction, slightly stiffer steering and suspension. Anyone have any experiences with their ES?
  • Options
    georgeb6georgeb6 Member Posts: 6
    I recently went to my local dealer in Fresno. I told him of the many complaints about the transmission. He was quite annoyed that I was informing him of this situation. He pointed to all of the people who have bought ES 300's without any transmission problems. I pointed him to this Town Hall board. I don't know if he read it yet, but I hope he does. I am not sure if he was truly unaware of the problem or was just faking it. Anyway, I did my part.
  • Options
    r1_97r1_97 Member Posts: 181
    Georgeb6: are you referring to some salesman or someone in the service dept? They'd have to have their head in the sand to be unaware.
  • Options
    r1_97,

It was a salesman. Both of them should be well aware of the problem. It just shows how money can cause people to see differently.
  • Options
    frang2frang2 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone else have this problem. When I am coasting between 5 mph and 0 mph and than step on the gas the car hesitates. It almost jerks me forward. It is very irritating. I also think it is dangerous. I do alot of city driving and in Manhattan you are always coasting. I have been to the dealer, but they are brushing me off. Telling me this is a feature of the car. I have heard that there are transmission problems with feeling the car shifting, but this seems a little different. I can feel the car shift when I am going faster mph, that I don't mind. This is terrible. Please anyone with same, let me know.
  • Options
    atoewsatoews Member Posts: 637
    I think you are just describing the ES300 transmission problem reported by others. In my experience, drawing back on the gas ("coasting") at any speed results in jerkiness when gas is re-applied.

I believe it IS a feature of the car, but I think all we can do is try and have our voices heard that this is an unacceptable feature.
  • Options
    stuartwostuartwo Member Posts: 6
    Is the air conditioner filter something easily changed by a do-it-yourselfer? If so, where is it? (I haven't actually looked for it, yet.)
  • Options
    A recent post on the Camry board describes a transmission hesitation problem on the owner's 2002 Camry. The owner has 12000 miles on his car, I believe. Anyway, according to this owner, Toyota came out with an upgrade to the ECU firmware, which made a marked improvement.

I have my fingers crossed - still..
  • Options
    ttsupra26ttsupra26 Member Posts: 1
    i want to purchase a 1998 Es300...perfect condition...fully loaded...and it has 40,000 miles os it......i offered $18,000......he wants 19,000......wat do u think? TY...please reply here or i prefer heravi@aol.com
  • Options
    mhs7386mhs7386 Member Posts: 33
    Can't decide if I do get the ES300, whether to spend an extra $30 a month (I'm leasing it) for the traction control, Navigation system and upgraded Levinson audio. I am leaning against it because, 1) front wheel drive is usually enough where I live (NJ, 20 miles west of nyc), and I am not an audiophile.

Your opinions?

Thanks.

Matt
  • Options
    gsenthilgsenthil Member Posts: 154
    You are probably better off without those options [Nav/ML et al] Options depreciate faster than the car and hence lower your resalve value. Unless you think people would not be interested in a car w/o those options [Leather CD etc] dont go in for it unless you really want them
  • Options
    mhs7386mhs7386 Member Posts: 33
    Thanks for your opinion. However, I am leasing this car, as stated in my previous post. So for another $30 a month, today I told my salesman to get me the loaded edition. Besides the navigation and Levinson audio, it comes with traction control and rear sun shade.

I thought for that little extra, those features were worth it. And I take my sons to some far-off athletic fields and gyms, so the nav might help.

Happy motoring.

Matt
  • Options
    lenscaplenscap Member Posts: 854
    I did some checking on the government's trademark site, and Toyota trademarked "ES330" on April 22. Expect to see the new engine one year from now in the ES (the RX 330 comes out in March).

http://tess.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=cm4401.7.1

Typed Drawing

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Word Mark ES330

Goods and Services IC 012. US 019 021 023 031 035 044. G & S: Motor cars and structural parts thereof

Mark Drawing Code (1) TYPED DRAWING

Serial Number 76398773

Filing Date April 22, 2002

Filed ITU FILED AS ITU

Owner (APPLICANT) Toyota Jidosha Kabushiki Kaisha TA Toyota Motor Corporation CORPORATION JAPAN 1, Toyota-cho Toyota-shi, Acihi-ken JAPAN

Attorney of Record David J. Kera

Type of Mark TRADEMARK

Register PRINCIPAL

Live/Dead Indicator LIVE

• Options
    raddboy41raddboy41 Member Posts: 249
    Anyone attempt this on their own yet? :^) I've got a beautiful '95 ES300 and it looks like the intake manifold has to come off to get to the rear plugs. Anyone? Bueller?
  • Options
    kingken89kingken89 Member Posts: 13
    I haven't attempted to replace the plugs but we did do a compression test on my 92 ES300. We were only able to get to the 2 outside plugs in the back. So to replace them all them I would guess you do have to remove the intake manifold in order to get to the middle plug.
  • Options
    beaver2000beaver2000 Member Posts: 5
    Thank U for reading,
    I have a new 03 which I love. 1200 miles and no tranny problems so far !!!
    I read on the car's plate that my Michelin Energy MXV4 should be inflated to 29# which I had.
    Went to the dealer for the 1000 miles inspection. ans the mechanic raised the pressure to 32# telling me this is what Lexus is telling them to do.
    The car is not as smooth as it was, unbelievable.
    Should I go back to 29# or leave them at 32# ?
    Regards
    Paul
  • Options
    kreativkreativ Member Posts: 299
    Congrats on your new '03 ES! Didn't know Lexus had switched tires from '02 to '03. Makes me wonder about my '02 tires...hmm. ;)

For anyone who regularly checks tire pressure themselves, I have found it's pointless to have any service center check tire pressure. You're supposed to check tire pressures when the tires are cold, but unless you live close to the service center or they're checking the pressure a few hours after you get there, the tires aren't going to be cold. Usually what happens is that they put too much air in and I have to let out quite a few PSIs to get to where it's supposed to be.

As for the 32psi rating and "this is what Lexus is telling them to do", there is a couple possible reasons for that. Better to have the customer leave with tires that are a little overinflated than underinflated, as tires lose pressure over time. Add that to the fact that most cars coming into the service center aren't going to have cold tires when the pressure is checked. Setting hot tires to the recommended cold tire pressure would be a big mistake.

If you have a digital tire gauge and air compressor at home and are willing to check weekly, you can keep your cold tire pressure at the recommended setting of 29psi for the ride quality that you want. Otherwise, you're safer having the tires at a slightly higher psi. Better a little overinflated than underinflated.
  • Options
    bartalk2bartalk2 Member Posts: 326
    Besides beaver2000, let's hear more about the '03 transmission.
  • Options
    Someone who had test driven an '02 ES and just test drove an '03 ES said that the transmission issue he experienced with the '02 was no longer present in the '03. Lexus Corp.: Let's see an update for '02 owners!
  • Options
    maxhonda99maxhonda99 Member Posts: 1,289
    beaver2000, You really need to adjust pressure yourself, when the tires are cold. And of course check on a weekly basis, especially in the winter if you live in a cold climate(tires loose air quicker in colder weather).

The dealer probably set it too high at 32. But there are advantages to keeping it higher, one as someone stated above, you will loose pressure so in a couple of weeks it should be back down to 29, this is good especially if you don't check pressure often. Otherwise, the higher pressure will increase gas mileage slightly. But you get a rougher ride.

Whatever you do, just make sure you check pressure when the tires are cold. The Lexus recommended tire pressure of 29lbs. is for when the tires are cold.
  • Options
    fredvhfredvh Member Posts: 857
    Can anyone confirm that there has been a revision in the software for the transmission on the new 2003?
  • Options
    mmccloskeymmccloskey Member Posts: 168
    Greetings:

The MSNCarpoint site indicated that DIO (Dealer Installed Option) Front & Rear Mud guards (MFG Code #MG) were selectable when configuring an ES300. No price was provided.

Have any of those with a 2002-3 ES300 inquired about or obtained the above noted mud/splash guards for their vehicles?

Since my 2002 ES300 is now a 'fair weather' driver and I'm not too concerned about road spray and such, but the splash guards would reduce the need to clean the lower quarter panels behind the front & rear wheels.

Regarding the transmission issue: I have noticed that 'kickdown' is fairly quick, but when I've reached the desired speed, the tranny is reluctant to upshift into 5th gear and will 'hang' for about 5 seconds at 3K rpm, then finally settle back at 2K rpm. This is usually when going up an incline.

Hope all is well with everyone's ES!

M. J. McCloskey
  • Options
    I will probably check into installing mud guards, at least for the front tire area. It will make my Zaino process a lot easier. The biggest problem I have with doing the "Z" bit is the dirt that gets on the applicator. I wash my car evey week, but there is always dirt on the front fender, which is frustrating.
  • Options
    bartalk2bartalk2 Member Posts: 326
    John Davis of "Motor Week" today mentioned transmission problems on the ES300. Referred to it as transmission "shudder" or something similar. So it's enough of a problem to be generally acknowledged.
  • Options
    gpenggpeng Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I am wondering if anyone knows how I can add a changer unit in my 1997 Lexus ES300. The dealer wants about $2000 for it. I checked Crutchfield and on the net to see if they have a adapter interface for the 97 lexus, unfortunately, they don't. I really don't want to put a FM modulated changer in the car because the quality is still FM. If anyone knows the brand, model number, and/or part number please let me know. This way I can widen my search on the web.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Gui
  • Options
    gpenggpeng Member Posts: 2
    Hello, I was planning to install a remote starter and alarm for a Lexus ES300 1997, then I heard that the remote starter causes problem on the engine. Is this always the case or should I not worry about this and just install the starter. Also, which brand starter/alarm is the best?

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks
  • Options
    lexloothalexlootha Member Posts: 12
    On the Automotive News website (autonews.com) there was a letter to the editor recently published regarding Lexus' wood-leather steering wheels. It is titled:

LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Lexus owner slams wood-leather wheel
    Published 10/14/2002 in Automotive News

In order to view the letter, one must subscribe to Automotive News magazine. Does anyone here have access to the subscriber section of the website? I am interested in knowing what issues the author had with his steering wheel.
  • Options
    If you go to this web site, it will allow you to give information about your transmission problem and a possible lawsuit.

http://worldjustice.com/lexus/

• Options
    czerwinskiczerwinski Member Posts: 7
    Other than the upgraded interior on the Camry, I mean ES 300, are there major differences between the two cars? They are both well built and reliable (although bland.) Trying to justify the extra coin for the ES. Loaner car is not a selling point for me.
  • Options
    I don't know about anyone else, but I am not interested in participating in a class action suit. I just want my transmission fixed.
  • Options
    rtorrecartorreca Member Posts: 74
    if participating in the class action suit is the only way Lexus is going to act on this, then I will participate. However, I am willing to wait until the end of the year to see if something will be done about it.
  • Options
    I drove my friend's 02 Camry and comparing the interior quality, the Lexus wins hands down. But if I had to do my purchase over, I'd probably take the Camry over the ES. It's not worth thousands more just for a nicer interior. If it performed better than the Camry then I'd recommend it. To me, it just doesn't make sense to pay considerably more for a similar car that performs considerably less. Cabin noise is not that far off either. There's less noise in ES but you probably won't notice unless you actually look for it.

My 02 ES300 may very well be a lemon (and maybe the 03 has improved) so test drive it yourself and see if you can justify plunking down more moola for the es.
  • Options
    I joined this message board after I bought my 92 ES300 about 2 weeks ago. I've read about so many transmission problems but I bought my car with 303,000 miles on it. Yes, thats 303,000 with original engine and original Auto Transmission. I've put another 1000 miles on since I bought it and The transmission does shift hard from 1st to 2nd but other than that then I love the car and I don't know how it's been able to go so many miles but hopefully it will keep going forever, like I've always expected a Toyota to do.
  • Options
    dan_s1dan_s1 Member Posts: 8
    We have a 1998 ES300 and really enjoy the car. The 3rd brake light bulb has burned out. The one in the rear window. I hate to take it in to the dealer for something so simple. Except I can't figure out how to get to it. (insert chuckle here)

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance, Dan
  • Options
    gekko2gekko2 Member Posts: 87
    king ken - congrats on your new car. make sure you get this stuff done:

LEXUS MAINTENANCE RECOMMENDED SCHEDULE

Every 3,750 Miles:
    Oil and Oil Filter Change

Every 30,000 Miles:
    Radiator Coolant Flush/Change
    Air Filter Change
    BG MOA Oil Additive
    BG 44K Fuel Induction Additive

Every 60,000 Miles:
    Transmission Fluid Flush/Change
    Spark Plugs Change/Tune-Up
    Brake Fluid Flush/Change
    Power Steering Fluid Flush/Change
    Battery Check/Change

Every 90,000 Miles:
    Timing Belt Change

Every 1 Year:
    Exterior Wax/Detail
    Interior Leather/Wood Cleaning and Conditioning/Detail and Carpet Shampoo
    Wiper Blade Inserts Change
  • Options
    Dan - I had the same issue - at next oil change I would have dealer just do it. I did and it was an extra $15 or so.
  • Options
    I see on your service list it says "wood cleaning and conditioning."

Do you know what cleaner is recommended?
  • Options
    I used "Liquid Gold" spray. This was recommended to me by the Lexus Dealer. I buy Lexus brand leather conditioner for my seats and I asked parts if they have anything for wood. The said no but to use a high quality wood polish like Liquid Gold. It's not really a cleaner, but a Conditioner - It provides natural oils to the wood which pevents it from drying out and also helps protect it. I spray on the cloth and then apply to wood areas. Works great.
  • Options
    It sounds like you know your servicing well so I have a couple of questions and I'll let you know what I've done. Since I bought the car then I've changed the motor oil, transmission oil, and flushed the radiator. They all looked like they needed to be done and I did the trans oil to see if it would help the hard shift from 1st to 2nd but it didnt help at all. I used the recommended 10W-30 oil but I used synthetic oil that says it is for high mileage vehicles. I used this because that is what the old owner was using. The main question I have for you is what those Oil and Fuel induction additives are, are those numbers just Lexus Dealer Part numbers or where do you get that stuff? And also, how do I go about flushing my power steering lines. The old owner did every service on time and had the records but I didnt get the records from him so I'd just like to keep doing everything on time, see if I can make it to 400K miles.
  • Options
    1. My Toyota dealer does 99% of my service. It's cheaper than Lexus and basically the same thing. They have the BG products. BUT you can research them here: http://www.bgprod.com/ . I think they would help your 300k+ vehicle run even smoother.

2. I had my Toyota dealer flush/refill my Power Steering lines. It was about $50.

I don't do any actual hands-on service myself - but as you can tell - I'm on top of it.

Good luck!

p.s. check out http://www.clublexus.com

• Options
    maybe these will help your transmission:

BG Quick Clean for Automatic Transmissions

BG Quick Clean for Automatic Transmissions is a safe, effective solvent/dispersant cleaner that will quickly remove accumulated deposits from the valve body, filter screen and other automatic transmission components prior to exchanging the dirty fluid for new ATF. Use BG PF5 to remove old fluid and cleaner from the system. This product is a part of the BG TDC® program.

Part No. 106

BG ATC Plus

BG ATC Plus enhances properties of both new and used automatic transmission fluid. It improves fluid oxidation stability, thereby prolonging fluid life and the life of the transmission. It prevents leaks by conditioning hardened seals and keeping them soft and pliable. Eliminates and controls transmission "shudder." It retards formation of sludge and varnish deposits and prevents foaming. This product is a part of the BG TDC® program.

Part No. 310

http://www.bgprod.com/autodrive.html

• Options
    Thanks for the info on Liquid Gold. Do you know who makes it?

I'm not sure how the oils would penetrate into the wood since there is a coating of protective gloss, but I'll take your word for it.

I used to apply Zymol car wax to the wood in my old ES 300. It helped prevent little surface scratches. But I have yet to do that in the new car.
  • Options
    I buy Liquid Gold at the Supermarket. Here's the link to the manufacturer with info:

http://www.touchofscent.com/scottsliquidgold2/

check the FAQ.

• Options
    sopecreeksopecreek Member Posts: 203
    on my 2001 ES300 have been replaced in just 22k miles. My wife drove 90% of time and she is not an aggressive driver. The shortest I've ever experienced. And also I must say they were the most terrible tires on wet surface. The only thing that kept me on one heavily pouring night was the traction control. Anyway I got much cheaper Yokohama Avid H4 tires on them after checking out on tirerack.com reviews and buying from them. Speed rating went down from V to H but with ES300, I don't think it really matters. Since the balancing seems to be way off, I'll postpone my impression of new tires until I get re-balancing done.
  • Options
    I loved the ride of my Yokohama's (A540-65VR P205-65R15-92-V) but they didn't last long at all. I switched to Dunlop (SP Sport A2 P205-65R15-92-H) which seem to be giving better life. Yes, I know speed rating is different.
  • Options
    "Update on 2002 ES300 Transmission Problem

A law firm will meet with Toyota's attorneys on October 29. They will propose to Toyota settlement terms which include repairing the transmission problem by installing a new computer chip and extending the duration of the powertrain warranty on all 2002 ES 300s.

Good luck"

(Original author: Dreamer)
  • Options
    I guess a refund is out of the question, huh?

Anyone know how this could affect the resale value? I imagine it would be hard to sell now that people are becoming more aware of the problem. Gives them more reason to opt for the camry.

Also found some more people with several complaints at http://www.carreview.com/PRD_217_1529crx.aspx.

Come on Lexus! Let's see a fix for the 02's!

• Options
    My car is now almost 7 months old and has 5000 miles on it. I am finding that either the car or my driving habits have changed to the point where the transmission issue is not as apparent as at first.

I am beginning to think that when a person has a habit of backing off the accelerator prior to applying more gas, he or she is more likely to experience the problem more frequently than are others.

When i accelerate without first backing off and lightening up on the gas, the hesitation does not occur. This may explain the varying degrees to which owners feel the problem.
  • Options
    sddlwsddlw Member Posts: 361
    sopecreek, which Bridgestones were these?

Sounds like they were more of a high performance tire rather than an all season or touring tire...?

I'm thinking of replacing the Michlin MXV4-H 205/60-16s that came on my 2000 ES with Bridgestone Turanza LS-H 225/55-16s. I've heard good things about these tires, but they are realatively new on the market and don't have much information about how well they perform with some miles on them.

I'd be interested to know if anyone has any experience with Turanza LS.
  • Options
    mang3mang3 Member Posts: 4
    My 2002 ES300 is 6 months old with 7500 miles. I complained about transmission at both 1K and 5K service, both times dealer test drove and said it was fine, and any hard shifts were a result of still breaking in. Not until I found this forum last week that I realized it wasn't just my ES300. It has certainly gotten better than it was initially, and even almost went away for a month after the 5K mile service (maybe dealer reset computer?). But now I believe I've just learned to drive around the problem (consistent accelerator position, ANTICIPATING a pass, etc). Flooring the pedal above 45, as mentioned by atoews, results in nothing but engine noise and an uncomfortably high tachometer reading for almost 3 seconds. What a beautiful/comfortable car, I hope Lexus can fix this terrible back eye it has given it.
This discussion has been closed.