Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus ES 300/ES 330

Comments

• atoewsatoews Member Posts: 637
    I believe the implication is that some posters to this board are "planted" by Lexus to post pro ES300 propaganda. Some of those who experience the transmission problem find it inconceivable that there are owners out there who find the transmission completely satsifactory.
  • peter7777peter7777 Member Posts: 24
    Will the 04 ES330 have steering wheel radio controls. The answer to that question will be the sole determining factor as to whether or not I buy an 04 ES330. If those radio controls aren't on the steering wheel I'll be visiting my Acura dealer for the new TL.
  • raffeerraffeer Member Posts: 4
    This lurker has had a 2001 ES for almost two years. Only tran "problem" was caused by my own stupidity of driving in 4 not Drive for the first month.
    The car is a fully loaded Starlight Pearl dream vehicle. Only problem were the noisy Toyo tires which were exchanged with no problem when the dealer heard the complaint.
  • lenscaplenscap Member Posts: 854
    I would imagine the 2004 ES 330 will have radio controls on the steering wheel. It will either get the new-design wheel in the RX 330 or keep the same wheel with the radio controls added as the SC 430 has.

It sounds odd that the steering wheel controls will be the deciding factor in your purchase. The ES 300/330 and new TL are very different cars. The ES is far more luxurious, while the new TL will be much sportier. Hopefully you will sit in and drive both and use that as the deciding factor. My brother has an Acura CL-S. Much sportier than my ES 300 but the quality of the interior is not in the same league. Both are great cars but with different missions.
  • jiaminjiamin Member Posts: 556
    Now I don't have any sedan. In 2000 when I was shopping between ES300 and I30, I compared so many times and kind of felt bad about wasting salesman's time, and finally bought RX300 just because one word from a best friend.

2002 I was shopping among ES300, I35 and TL-S and suddenly bought QX4.

I mean basically I like all sedans mentioned above. They are good enough to my taste, no matter one is more luxury, the other more sporty. In this situation I also feel that any tiny thing, like the steering wheel control, could swing me to one car no the other. If I definately want a sporty car then steering wheel control is nothing important.
  • jiaminjiamin Member Posts: 556
    "While it may not have real wood..."

Sometimes it's very difficult to tell fake or real wood. 01 QX4 has "wood tone", meaning simulated wood, while 02 and up QX4 has real wood. I compared my 02 QX4 with 01 QX4 and can never tell the difference. Just have to trust what window sticker tells me.
  • concord1concord1 Member Posts: 1
    I need help from others that suffer from the lagging transmission problem. Can any of you who have been to the dealership give me some info on what they told you? I have 750 miles on my ES300 and there are times I press down on the accelerator and...NOTHING. I am bringing the car in this week and would like to be prepared with info from others as I feel I will get the.."there is nothing wrong. It shifts normal" from the service department. Is there a Lexus service bulletin or anything that I can reference when I drop the car off?

Thanks, John
  • kennynmdkennynmd Member Posts: 424
    and they drove the RX330. According to them, it has some lag and hesitation problems. Isn't the 04 ES supposed to have the same engine? Although, my 03 ES doesn't have tranny problems, it seems that the problem still exists even for a new engine.
  • nogermancarnogermancar Member Posts: 16
    John,

Drive the vehicle with a technician and replicate the problem. Then have the dealer write the problem down very specifically on the invoice. Let them know that this a very serious safety concern for you and your family. They will say something on there like they could replicate the problem with the hesitation but this is a normal characteristic of the vehicle and Lexus is working on a fix due out later this year.

Take the invoice and say thank you very much mister dealer man. As you walk away, notice how he is laughing and smiling. Remember this "great" service experience.

Then go to another dealer about the same problem and have them write down something.

Then contact a lemon lawyer to get rid of the darn thing.

Don't bother wasting your time getting angry or calling Better Business Bureau. Just treat your car as an individual case.
    I see now how important the steering wheel radio controls are to you. As I said, my bet is the 2004 ES 330 will have them but I don't know for sure.

I talked with my salesman yesterday and he said the 2004 ES went into production on August 1. The car will be the ES 330, but hp has not been released. Other changes are not known either, but the colors will remain exactly the same as 2003.
  • kreativkreativ Member Posts: 299
    Posted by JPI at ClubLexus:

=============================
    Lexus just released a new software for your ES300. This supposed to fix all your shifting concern. TSB #TC004-03. Please contact your lexus dealer. They should get the software within next week. This is good news for the ES300 owners. Your wait is over(I HOPE)
    JPI
    =============================
  • nogermancarnogermancar Member Posts: 16
    Sorry, but TSB #TC004-03 isn't a fix. I can still replicate the RPM going up but no power and then the gear gets stuck. Now the RPM go up to 5000 and almost to red line while no power and sticking in gear.

I took my car in yesterday, got it back today. The service advisor said they performed the TSB but he can't read the technical stuff. When I went in to get my car, besides making me wait forever, he smiled, shook my hand and said I'm glad we "fixed" your car. I told the Service Advisor that I hope they fixed the RPM going up but no power and then gear sticking. He didn't say anything. Just like the mechanic who went on the test drive with me yesterday. He said there was a fix for the "shifting" pattern.

It shifts differently, but no fix yet...almost two years now...

Lemon time...
  • texas83texas83 Member Posts: 107
    Not that it will do any good, but you can replicate the problem best for the dealer by driving the car very softly before you take in the car. I mean drive it softly a few days before you take it in. If you try and replicate the problem consistently the car adjusts and won't do it as easily. Later it will readjust to your soft driving style and cause problems later when you need power. Lexus won't fix this very dangerous problem obviously because it costs too much. They will try these superficial software adjustments hoping to stall the complaints.

Please contact the National Transportation Safety Administration and file your complaints. Bad press is the best action against Lexus right now. Call them at 888-DASH-2-DOT. This looks like it has too many phone digits, but I double checked it and it works. On top of the tranny problem, if you try and resell your car, be prepared for the massive drop in value. Edmunds notes it at least 20% for the first year... check for yourself on this website.
  • mwhdevmwhdev Member Posts: 13
    Hi all,

I am in the market for what I will call a luxury sports sedan. I began my search with the G35. The car is awesome performance-wise but the interior left a little to be desired. I went to look at the IS 300 but it was too small. The dealer showed me the ES 300 and I took it for a drive. It is a completely different car. The ride was very nice and quiet but when I stepped on the gas it didn't have much there. OK so I went to Nissan to see the Maxima but after seeing it up close I did not care for the styling. Since I was there I looked at a loaded 3.5 Altima... it was ok but for a few thousand more I could get the G35. I am planning on looking at the Acura TL-S today.

After seeing and driving the cars above I think I have an good idea of what I really want. As I explained it to my wife.... If they could only put the Nissan 3.5 in the ES 300 I would be a happy camper......

So gurus.... where is my "Lexus 3.5 SE"? I can go $32K or $33K TOPS. Should I be looking closer at the I35? Isn't the I35 going to be 'redone' for 2004? I know TL's are being redesigned. Maybe I should wait for the new I35 and TL.....

HELP!!! :-)

Drew In San Diego
    It'll be hard to get the luxury of the ES and the sportiness of a G35/TL-S in a package that tops out at $32-33K. As far as Lexus is concerned, the GS (to be redesigned soon) would be what you're after, but it'll cost a few K more.

You can check out pictures of the redesigned TL, from a link in one of the 20 or so previous posts. The interior, though, appears to be geared towards sportiness and doesn't look to have much of a luxury feel. I was hoping Acura would up the luxury quotient in the redesign to better compete with the ES, but it looks like they're aiming it to compete with the G35 and IS300. Nice looking exterior, and of course, quite sporty.

Last I heard, the I35 model is being phased out. It's a dated design with dated components (like the suspension system), and I don't think it competes too well with all the newer, redesigned offerings.

I don't think the Maxima, and especially the Altima, can offer the kind of interior you're looking for.

You can see whether the '04 ES330, set to arrive in Sept./Oct., has enough oomph for your taste. If not, the redesigned TL would probably be your best bet.
  • jimxojimxo Member Posts: 423
    If you did not know Lexus has it's own driving school. If you have never been to a professional driving school this is a great place to start. The best thing is for $395.00 you get a full day of driving, great instructors and of course drive Lexus cars.

I just completed the class on Aug 9,2003 in Wisconsin and the only word to sum it up is FUN.

http://www.lexusdrivingschool.com

BTW-You may want to get your tranny fixed first.
  • richm4richm4 Member Posts: 169
    They probably started the driving school in order to train the drivers in such as manner (i.e. drive SLOW) as to avoid the much maligned transmission problems that occur whenever you try to press the accelerator too hard ;-)
  • jimxojimxo Member Posts: 423
    We drove these car to the edge and back. It's like nothing you ever seen and most likely never will.
  • mwhdevmwhdev Member Posts: 13
    Well I intended to look at the Acura yesterday but the dealer was too far away to do during lunch. I did however go to the Audi dealer. I test drove a A4 3.0 FWD. What a beautiful car! The engine was more than adequate and the interior and exterior.... gorgeous.

Still going to get to the Acura dealer soon.

Opinions?

Thanks,

Drew In San Diego
  • fredvhfredvh Member Posts: 857
    Let us know what you think of the TL when you get there. Would you please ask them about the TL "transmission problem" and see what they say? The TL is on my "maybe" list but noone seems to want to talk about the transmission issue. I still do not know how it has been corrected. Let us know what you hear. The transmission seems to be the only problem area with this vehicle. Prices are near invoice which is a very good buy for this vehicle.
    I would stay away from any Audi at all costs. Yes they are nice, but I have yet to know of somebody who did not have extensive problems. Two people in my office have A6s they bought new and both have had major problems. One was driving 75 miles home at night after visiting a client and all the exterior and interior lights went off. Audi roadside assistance would not help because it wasn't considered an emergency since the car could be driven. So this co-worker drove for 1-1/2 hours on a highway with no lights. The car has also been in for several other electrical and mechanical glitches and the dealer does not provide loaners. Check out the A6 forum - some guy had his new car in the dealer for over three weeks and had thousands of dollars in repairs and they still couldn't fix his problems. My girlfriend had a VW Passat (same company as Audi) that was terrible also (among other things it died once without warning on a highway and we nearly got rear ended at 65 mph), and her father had an S8 for a total of three months. In addition, Audis are known for poor resale value.
  • mapleleavemapleleave Member Posts: 25
    The ES330 will have the same output as the camry V6 SE. pair with the 5 speed auto, it should be plenty of power for those who like to ride in a luxury car instead of drag racing every intersection of the street. For that, there is the WRX.

I think competition from TL will be a welcome force that make ES330 offer more standard equipments. With Camry V6 eventually going to be increased to the same level, and the fact that Toyota is keeping Avalon, ES330 will be up-marketed as well.
  • coolguyky7coolguyky7 Member Posts: 932
    The LS really needs to go upscale, but stay an affordable large car (compared to the competition). The GS can move up in performance and the ES needs to remain a midsize, but more luxurious. The Avalon needs to stay a step below, but be larger in size with the Camry having a little less content, but a smaller size than the Avalon.
    Have to agree with Lenscap concerning Audi reliablity. I've heard they're known for electrical problems. And 3 friends with Audis no older than 3 years old have all had such issues. They're the ones who convinced me to look elsewhere when shopping for a new car. Audi's are nice cars, as long as you don't have to deal with the problems.

According to an article in the newspaper I read not too long ago, VWs have a very poor reliablity rating. Mercedes has also dropped considerably, and their reliability rating wasn't so stellar to begin with.
  • cb1943cb1943 Member Posts: 9
    I've been waiting to hear if the es330 will have additional exterior color choices..I've heard from two different dealers that the Mystic Sea on the '02/'03 is being discontinued but they wouldn't know the new colors for another 6-8 weeks..they thought another gray would be added..I'm not into speed so the boost in horsepower isn't as important to me as different color choices..
  • bartalk2bartalk2 Member Posts: 326
    Two dealers told me they expect the ES330 to be in by the end of this month (August), so perhaps the range of colors will be available then.
    My dealer told me that he saw the spec form of the 2004 ES 330 and that all colors will remain the same. I'm not 100% sure I believe him, but that's what he said.

I guess we'll see shortly.
  • bartalk2bartalk2 Member Posts: 326
    One estimate is that the increased power in the 330 will knock about a second (not a half second) off the 0-60 times, i.e., down to the low 7's. That would mean a quarter mile in the mid-15s with a final speed in the low 90s. That's certainly outruns the Audi A4 which with Quatro is heavy and slow and the BMW 325 which is underpowered, and puts it about even with the current TL.

As it stands now, the ES300 is underpowered compared to the competition (the Accord V6 has redefined the class below the ES300), and the current GS 300 is way underpowered for its price and luxury niche; I expect its replacement next March to remedy the situation.
  • dardson1dardson1 Member Posts: 696
    My wife drives an '01 ES300. We have loved the car. My daughter is shopping for an Accord, and I had a chance to drive one today.....an EX V6 sedan. It's amazing what Honda can do for an MSRP of $26k and buyable for $24k. If you do a side-by-side compare on this site, the specs for size and equipment are mighty close to an ES300. A comparable 03 Lexus is buyable for about $8k more. For that you get a more luxo interior, a better warranty, great customer service, a few more bells and whistles, and a car that impresses the neighbors. The Honda has 30 more HP, heated front seats, a more powerful stock stereo, a bit more rear leg room, and a 5spd automatic that seems to be working perfectly.
        A Lexus ES300 with the premium pkg. is a bargain in the low $30k's. A Honda Accord EXV6 is a down-right steal for under $24k. I was very surprised.
  • mapleleavemapleleave Member Posts: 25
    ES330 will have 225 HP +/- 5hp. Not enough to make big difference in 0-60. It is just a small step forward, kind of like a minor change to refresh the car. I agree the RL and the GS300 are both under-power - more so to the GS because it supposed to be a sport sedan. But if you look at the 525, or even 530, they are slow vehicles. When the vehicle gets to a certain price level, and with 80% of the buyer are above 60 years old. It might be a good idea to keep the power low, and price down. Accord appeal to a different group, which cares more about how fast it can go and less about how refine the vehicle feels.
    I think Lexus has the baby boomer in its hands, and it is doing everything just right. the volume of the RX330 is almost as high as highlander, with 100,000 yearly rate and up to around $40,000 each. That is a lot of $$$.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    I disagree with you. 15 extra hp and 20 lb ft. of torque peaking 800 RPM lower will be noticeable through the seat of the pants, especially off the line, and especially if Toyota can refine the 5 speed to be a more responsive unit. Car and Driver put the ES300 to 60 in 8.3 seconds, and an RX330 AWD (weighing 500-600 lbs more) to 60 in 7.8 seconds (C/D actually also duplicated that number for a Sienna). Its reasonable to conclude the ES330 will come in under that mark, my guess would be in the 7.3 range, which is enough to notice.

~alpha
  • domettgdomettg Member Posts: 55
    I want to install a new battery in my '99 ES. Does anyone know if there is anything that needs to be reset or initialized after the new battery is installed? Are there any volitile things in memory that will be lost when the battery is disconnected (other than radio presets and clock)? Thanks for any help!!
    I had hoped the ES330 would have exterior paint color changes. Since both the 2004 IS and LS have added new colors is there still a chance that there may also be changes to the ES eventho it's not listed on the preliminary list ?
    I can't believe the 04 doean't have steering wheel radio controls. That and the transmission issue would cause me to cross this off my shopping list.
  • peter3210peter3210 Member Posts: 3
    The list of changes does say "Preliminary". Perhaps steering wheel radio controls will be added to the final list. Otherwise I'll be looking toward the Acura TL and the Accord EX.
    If there isn't more bang for my buck with the new ES330 we also will go for an Acura TL. We drove the Accord EX and were very impressed with premium pkg. I love my '98 Lexus but feel they are letting me down now.
    The more you move down, the more bang for your buck you'll get. Nobody buys, say, a Mercedes SLK for "bang for your buck." That's what Accords and Camrys are for.

On a related note, I'd love to see steering wheel radio controls in the ES as well. But if that's what makes it or breaks it for you, I would think the ES wouldn't be your first choice to start with.
  • atoewsatoews Member Posts: 637
    Location of controls being a make-or-break issue; I just can't see it.
    Alright, "bang for my buck" was the wrong termimolgy but the sentiment remains the same. I love my Lexus, with it's quiet ride, etc. but not willing to buy a newer version with questionable transmission problems and not as many perks as the TL or even the Accord Ex.
    Once you've had steering wheel radio controls, you can never go back.

I'm sure back in the 60's, people who've never had a/c in their car would have said the same thing about it being a make it or break it issue.
    I understand not getting something you feel is really important(steering wheel radio control) I'll accept the ES300 2002 body style change that I'm not that fond of and even the slow transmission problem because I could adjust my driving method but add to that not having an exterior paint color to my liking and no color change on the ES330 and I'll just have to get pass my Lexus thing.
    I was within moments of buying the ES300 earlier this year. I thought that the radio channel controls would be within reach of my fingers while holding the steering wheel. (Don't laugh, I've been in Japanese cars where this was the case.). Anyway the controls were too far away in the ES and I told the salesman that I had to pass. He had a picture of his wife and 5 children on his desk. I felt a momentary pang of regret but it passed. Poppa no doubt was having a very good year selling the flagship of the Japanese auto industry without my measly addition to his income. Anyway the ES300 was my first choice. Without the radio controls on the wheel however I must go elsewhere. I haven't firmly concluded that the radio controls won't be available so there's still a chance.
    In and of itself, a good reason to stay away from this car is the transmission. It's flat dangerous. Not only that, everything great about the car lacks luster when your car slogs, shudders, thuds and clangs into gear. It's amplified when you know you paid top dollar for the vehicle. Lexus isn't backing their products like they used to. I can tell the dealership I go to is really disgusted that Lexus won't fix this, leaving them to deal with so many complaints w/o an answer. This is my second one. The first one, an '02, was taken back via Lemon Law court when the transmission flat failed twice for the judge. I got another one because I really liked the car, less the transmission problem, and couldn't believe that this was a consistent problem even with the '03's. Stay away from this car until it's fixed.
  • billmahanbillmahan Member Posts: 68
    You know, this should not be a deal maker OR breaker. But it does seem to show that maybe these folks just aren't paying attention. They put radio controls on a $28,000 Solara, but not on a $38,000 Lexus? I don't get that.

I think it is somewhat safer to have the controls on the steering wheel than having to reach (for those with shorter arms) to the dash. If they think it's good for the Solara, then it should be just as good for the ES. Their competition has had radio controls for 1-4 years. Good Lord, even the Ford Taurus has them if I remember correctly.

As I said, this probably should not be a deal breaker, but it makes me think that those who say Lexus does not care about fixing the transmission problems might be right. If the can't figure out how to run a few electrodes to the steering wheel, maybe they just can't fix the transmissions.
    Check out the part about the transmission in the URL from message 3904. It looks good to me.
  • toydrivertoydriver Member Posts: 227
    Hey Tex,
    I've gotta suggestion for you. Why don't you trade that "death-trap" Lexus for something you feel safer in. Buick, Chevrolet, Ford pick-up - whatever. Just quit re-hashing the same stuff on this web-site every week. A lot of us really like our ES300.
    Well... it sounds good. I wouldn't jump into one until it can be verified. This is a serious problem and Lexus has been promising a correction since July of last year. Maybe they can fix the '02 and '03's with this. Of course I'm a little skeptical. Nothing like a squeaky wheel to make something happen.
  • domettgdomettg Member Posts: 55
    The ES330 reportedly will make 225hp. Why is it that Acura can get 260hp out of a 3.2L engine and Lexus can only get 225 out of a 3.3L? Could it be that they don't want to step on the GS300's toes?
    "...and not as many perks as the TL or even the Accord Ex."

This is a very misleading statement. Having "not as many perks" means overall the ES 300 does not have what the Accord has. This is simply not true. In this case, you are talking about one, and only one, feature that the Accord has that the ES 300 does not. Overall, the ES 300 has far more equipment (standard and optional) than the Accord.

Also, what color is it you would like that the ES 300 does not offer? It seems they have all the bases covered to me.
This discussion has been closed.