Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus ES 300/ES 330

Comments

• kiiwiikiiwii Member Posts: 318
    Thanks for the info, texas83. I was very close to buy a '03 ES. It's such a nice and quiet car, but the potential transmission problem really bugs me. Guess I will be waiting for '04. Hope the bigger engine and revised transmission will fix the problem.

BTW, some other ES owners have the same issue...
    http://www.epinions.com/auto_Make-2002_Lexus_ES_300/display_~revi- ews
  • cb1943cb1943 Member Posts: 9
    I suggested that for less money the TL had more perks (heated seats,steering wheel radio control)but, of course, the Lexus has many wonderful features the Acura TL or Accord do not. I love my '98 Lexus and want to buy a new one but surely I can express my opinion that I'm not that fond of the new body style and add my wish for more color choices on the Es300/330. I would like a medium or dark gray. Along with the problems some have had with the 02/03 transmission, it makes me reconsider buying another ES at this time. Thank you Texas83, I appreciate the info on the transmission problems as well. Not all have the time to revisit earlier post on this problem and will benefit from your experience.
  • texas83texas83 Member Posts: 107
    My pleasure. I'm glad I can help others from my experience. I like everything else about the car. It's just the transmission is no good in many cars and it's a lot of money for a car which may have a bad tranny. This has been a good outlet. I didn't know this was such global problem until after I bought the car and found this website. With pressure hopefully Lexus will take action. However, given their present attitude I'm skeptical about '02 and 03's.
  • kennyg5kennyg5 Member Posts: 360
    Similar to the ES 300, the TL also has tranny problems. In addition, the I35 (Maxima) has transmission hesitation (when shifting from 1st to 2nd), although this problem probably isn't quite as bad. I don't know why the new crop of entry level luxury cars from Japan seem to be more problematic than before. Does anyone?
    The expensive new cars nowadays have the fancy "adaptive transmissions". Are they suppose be better? I don't know. Somehow I don't see that many people had problems in the old days with high-end cars using the traditional inertia transmission.

Maybe the car buyers are getting pickier. Or, people's driving skills are so bad that the fancy computerized transmissions don't even know how to adapt (just kidding) =)
  • glenns1939glenns1939 Member Posts: 10
    Received a letter today from Lexus offering a free software enhancement for the "engine control module" which "changes the shifting smoothness". It refers to Tech Service bulletin TC004-03. I haven't had a complaint, so I assume this is a general enhancement offer, despite no use of RECALL. I have a 2003 ES300. By the way I use regular gas and it runs fine, but have averaged only a bit over 22 MPG with 2600 miles. Anyone else getting mileage this low? Haven't driven much highway, but will be going to Florida in December. Love the car, and am leasing for 36 months @$391 month including everything except excise which is billed separately.
  • kennynmdkennynmd Member Posts: 424
    but I hsven't recieved a letter as of yet.
  • toydrivertoydriver Member Posts: 227
    I have an '03 ES with about 2700 miles. I have been averaging between 22-23mpg with city driving.
    Averaged about 27mpg while at freeway speed during a recent 500mi trip. However, I have been using premium gas.
    Interested to know if the notice about software enhancement came from Lexus headquarters or from your dealer???
  • denlexusdenlexus Member Posts: 2
    I got the same letter today. It looks like the highly anticipated "firmware update" for correcting the transmission hesitation problem. I already made an appointment with a local dealer to have it updated this weekend. Would be interested in knowing if anyone has done it by now, and what's the result (better or worse).
    First, if the mileage is the same it seems like premium is a waste of money, as performance is still great with regular-and my dealership assured me that regular gas does no harm. Secondly, the letter on the transmission fix was from Lexus, and not the dealer. I have an appointment for next week, yet there was no real problem that I could discern with the way the transmission shifted. Will let you know.
  • lenscaplenscap Member Posts: 854
    Even though I've never had a problem, I also received the letter from Lexus yesterday. For those who haven't seen it, here's what it says:

Dear Lexus Customer:

Lexus is dedicated to the "Passionate Pursuit of Perfection."

As part of our constant efforts to provide you with the best in customer satisfaction and vehicle quality, Lexus would like to inform you of a product enhancement that is currently available for your ES 300 vehicle.

This enhancement involves reprogramming the software for the engine control module (ECM) of the transmission, which changes the shifting smoothness of the transmission. Vehicle performance remains substantially the same.

This product update is available through Lexus dealerships at no cost to you while your Lexus Powertrain Warranty is in effect. If you would like to have this update installed in your vehicle or if you want further information, please contact your local Lexus dealership and advise them that you are interested in having the modification completed per Technical Service Information Bulletin No. TC004-03. Please note that due to the nature of software reprogramming, once your software has been updated, it will not be possible to return the software to the previous version.

If you want additional information after consulting your local Lexus dealership, please contact the Lexus Customer Satisfaction Department at 1-800-255-3987, Monday through Friday, 6:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Pacific Time.

We have sent this notice in the interest of your continued satisfaction with our products and hope to see you at a Lexus dealership for your next sales or service visit.

Sincerely,

Lexus Division
    Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc.
  • texas83texas83 Member Posts: 107
    I'll be anxious to hear what other's say about this so called fix. Frankly, I don't believe it. I noticed in June a Canadian was told about this new fix and he thought it had cured his problems only to report back later it hadn't. I would love to have it work.... believe me. The tranny is the only problem with this car, but it's a very very serious issue. My thoughts are this is a promise, stall, delay, then promise, stall, delay tactic. LEXUS...... please prove me wrong. At best I bet it only makes a very bad situation only a bad one.
    fropm Lexus today. I am contemplating about getting the upgrade. I have an 03 but no problems.
  • bartalk2bartalk2 Member Posts: 326
    The '04 ES330 should be available in the next couple of weeks. If Lexus manages to fix the transmission, I may get one. What options do you recommend?

1. MARK LEVINSON AUDIO. Is it worth the extra $900 over the standard sound system?

2. ADAPTIVE VARIABLE SUSPENSION. A couple of people here like it, but reviews generally say forget it, too soft on comfort setting, too firm in sport setting. In between just like regular suspension, so why bother.

3. WOOD STEERING WHEEL. Cosmetic item. Is the wood cold in the winter, clammy, sticky?

4. H.I.D. HEADLIGHTS. Are they brighter? I need all the light I can get at night.

5. POWER REAR SUNSHADE. Is it useful?

Anti-skid system I'll definitely get. Anything else recommended?

Thanks.
    here are the my answers to your questions....

1. ML? I would spend the $ on the navigation system instead. It's a personal preference.

2. vairable suspension? depends on how long you want to keep the car. this will be VERY expensive to fix once the car is out of warranty.

3. it won't be cold in the winter. the wood is laminated (or clear paint?). it looks good, no doubt.

4. HID is definitely nice. the light output is excellent. get HID from the factory, cuz it's more expensive to install after market HIDs.

5. I would get window tint and save $ on the power sunshade.

6. ESP (stabilty control) is a must. If you ask me, I say this safety feature is as important as ABS. I would not buy a car without ESP.
    Thanks for the tips. Hadn't thought about the repair costs of the adaptive suspension. Would definitely get the stability control. As for the nav, some have said it then incorporates the heat and a/c and possibly radio controls, which make for a more complex arrangement, no?
    Are you getting this vehicle ordered? When I bought my 03, here were basically 2 packages. One with everything except for ML audio and Nav and the other with everything and ML and Nav
    I'll probably have to order the vehicle if I want it equipped in my own way. I was told by a couple of dealers in Chicago that cars can in fact be ordered from Lexus with any level of equipment, and it would take approximately 3 months for delivery. A couple of other dealers have said that the ES300 comes with one of two packages and they can't be special ordered. To make a long story short, I don't believe them, but I guess I'll see when & if I try to special order one.

I do want the Xenon lights, but I can't see ordering the entire nav. package just to get them. What's been your experience?
    I got my Es300 without the NAV and Levinson, but with the HID and had no trouble finding one although the black garnet with black leather led to searching other dealers for the right combo. I found the Levinson to be nice, but pricey and the premium sound system upgrade already in the car to be very nice. The Levinson also had a subwoofer that took up space in the trunk and would be in the way for golf clubs or luggage. The NAV would have been nice but all that had it also had the Levinson package. All I really wanted was the HID and that wasn't a problem. The stability was a must, as were all the safety features. I am very happy without the NAV, Levinson and power sunshade.
    That's about how I would like mine equipped. But what part of the country are you in? I think different regions of the country might commonly have different equipment packages (although that's a guess).
    I am in Maryland and I got the same as Glenns1939. Except my black garnet came with the tan interior. I got the HID's and everything else. Just no Nav and ML audio.
  • s852s852 Member Posts: 1,051
    ML. You can't ask someone if it's worth it. You have to listen to the stock and the ML and decide if it is worth it or not.

Variable suspension, not worth it unless, you like the soft or sport setting much more than the stock suspension.

Wood steering wheel. That is a personal cosmetic preference. Why ask others? It's like asking what is the best color.

HID. Not worth it unless you regularly drive in very dark country roads at night with no street lights. If you do, then the extra light might be useful. Most people get them just for looks because they look modern. Thieves love to steal them.

Power sunshade is nice luxury to have since it doesn't block light at night unless you want it to. (unlike tinting the windows)
  • kreativkreativ Member Posts: 299
    HID lights are something you'll also just have to try and see if it's worth it to you. But once you go HID, it's hard going back to regular halogens. They're just so much brighter, and I'm not one who cares about the color/appearance of the light.
    I am a huge fan of the adaptive variable suspension. My friend had it on his 1997 ES 300 and still has the car. I'm not sure why people think the repair costs would be high - I'd like to see some proof. Plus, with an extended warranty it's covered. Also, that's like saying don't get navigation because if it breaks it's expensive. To me, that's not a reason not to get an option.

I really, really wanted this on my 2002 ES 300. It is a great feature. There are two settings firmer than a standard ES 300 and you can really notice the difference, not only in the ride (less floaty) but also in the handling (the car does not lean nearly as much in turns). For $600 this feature is simply the best. I used to have a 1995 ES 300, and the 2002 has a far superior "feel" because of the AVS.

I remember when Road & Track test drove the car when it first came out; in their review they said if you only get one option the AVS should be it. Granted 90% of ES 300 buyers will not care to have a sportier ride, but I was one of the few who did.

Most people who say negative things about AVS probably 1.) Are not the target for this option or 2.) Have not driven the car with it and most likely don't know what they're even talking about. It really is like an ES 300 with a sport suspension and a standard suspension. It's the best of both worlds.
    It looks like the navigation option on 2004 Lexus models is still $2000 (at least on kbb.com for the IS 300).

However, this weekend I was with a friend looking at the 2004 Toyota Solara. It had the nav, the same unit as in the ES 300 (just slightly updated). Packaged with an upgraded JBL radio the nav was $1,350! That's a heck of a lot less for the same equipment and it really surprised me.
  • atoewsatoews Member Posts: 637
    You might want to compare the ES300 Nav with the Camry's. At least for 2002, they are identical.

If anyone wants the new DVD, they might try and get it from Toyota instead of Lexus.

Don't know why you are surprised. It is well known that just about everything on a Lexus is more expensive from a Lexus dealer.

I lost one of my keys and it costs $150 to replace from the dealer in Bakersfield. Also, the dealer said it costs $40 just to reprogram your keys.
    I think you misunderstood me. When I refer to the price of the nav, I'm talking about the unit itself as a factory option, not the updates.

Navs in general have been the same price regardless of whether it is a luxury car or not. Since navs came out (I think Lexus first offered them in 1998), navs have been $2,000. And nav prices in general have been $2,000 for cars such as the new Accord, Acuras, Infinitis, Nissans, etc.

So when the price of a nav all of a sudden drops on a Camry from $2,000 in 2003 to $1,350 in 2004 that's big news to me.
    Anyone have any more to say abou the active variable suspension, virtues or vices? Appreciate comments from people who have it.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Isnt air suspension NOT the same as AVS?
    ~alpha
    alpha01 - AVS is air suspension. It utilizes air pressure to adjust the damping rate. You'll see it mentioned as "Adaptive Variable Air Suspension (AVS)" on various Lexus pages, such as this one:
    http://www.lexus.com/models/ls/price_options.html

"I'm not sure why people think the repair costs would be high - I'd like to see some proof."

Lenscap - Common sense perhaps. If you can offer me an adaptive air suspension strut at the same price as a coil spring, I'll take you up on it. They're known to develop air leaks over time, and be expensive to replace. I've seen Lexus air suspension struts with a list price of over $1000. Price will vary based on model year and front or rear strut(s).
    Kreativ - Thanks for your input. The AVS on the ES is not the same as the air suspension on the LS. They are similar, but not the same. The version on the ES is not an "air" suspension like on the LS.

For the heck of it, I just called the Lexus dealer in Beverly Hills, CA and spoke to someone in service. The gentleman said it is very rare for a strut on an AVS-equipped ES to leak. In the case that they do need to be replaced, he said they are about $300 vs. $200 on an ES with the standard suspension. So yes, they are a little more, but it seems they don't leak too often (your price must have been for the more expensive LS struts).

If somebody is looking for a car with the lowest chance of having things break then I would not suggest a car as advanced as the ES. A cheaper car would not have items such as skid control, brake assist, AVS, navigation, etc...all things that could break. As I said previously, I have nav in my car. If it breaks I'm sure it's a lot of money to fix, but that didn't prevent me from getting it. The same is true of the AVS - I wasn't going to avoid it because of potential problems down the road.
    Yes, they were for the LS struts. Comparatively, $300 isn't bad at all. I presume it still is an "air" suspension, unless they've managed to be able to adjust the damping rate without using air pressure.

Anyways, I think AVS is something someone just has to try for him/herself. A Road and Track writer is likely not to desire the same type of ride as the target ES buyer. I would probably like the AVS (had it on an LS), most ES buyers probably wouldn't care for it.
    Getting back to the benefits of AVS, it enhances the handling, ride stability and ride comfort. Kreativ makes an excellent point - somebody needs to drive an AVS car and see whether it is right for them (and worth $600). Most ES buyers would not care.

For those interested in learning more, below is the part of the 1997 ES 300 press release that talks about the system (note the ES system is based on the LS system but is not the same):

"An optional Adaptive Variable Suspension (AVS) system makes true semi-active damping available in a near-luxury car for the first time. Based on the LS 400's semi-active air suspension, the AVS monitors engine and vehicle speed, steering wheel movement, braking, acceleration and the vehicle's vertical motions to continuously control shock absorber damping in concert with road and driving conditions. Each shock absorber can be adjusted in as little as 0.0025 seconds with a possible range of 16 settings.

As a result, each wheel's suspension can adjust itself continuously over each bump. The system reduces dive and squat under braking and acceleration, detects rapid steering wheel movements and will stiffen shock damping on the outboard side for flatter cornering. A vertical g-sensor can discriminate between low, medium and high frequency body movements and signal the damping system to combat such conditions as freeway "chop" and body float over undulating roads.

In order to tailor the suspension characteristics to many different tastes, a driver-adjustable AVS control permits selection of soft, normal, sport or hard damping ranges from among the 16 possible settings. Consequently, the need to offer a separate "sport" or "touring" suspension package with associated compromises in ride comfort is eliminated."

Improvements in the system for 2002 yield better road and steering feel and quicker turn-in response.
    As for the Road & Track article I mentioned:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=6&article_- id=91&page_number=1

"Check the box for the Adaptive Variable Suspension (optional, at an estimated $700), and a spin of a 4-detent, console-mounted thumbwheel not only firms the shocks but sharpens the overall handling to the point of inviting hard cornering. With the standard car’s ride motions being borderline floaty, the better-snubbed sports settings were actually more comfortable too. If you order only one option on this car, order this."
    We seem to be writing at the same time. This is just like a real-time chat room!
    Hah! I always enjoy the information and commentary you provide in here.

There's a Consumer Reports review of the new ES that advises against the AVS because it's either too firm or too soft when adjusted from its default setting, which is most like the standard suspension.

So if a buyer isn't going to test it out for themselves, they're just going to have to decide whether they're more like a Road and Track reviewer or a Consumer Reports reviewer. I see the former as one who heavily prefers sporty rides, and I wouldn't be surprised if they'd want the ride even firmer than what the firmest AVS setting provides. I see the latter geared more towards your average consumer...one who sees their car more as a mode of transportation than a thrill ride.

Also, you have to consider whether AVS is an option in the package that you want. There was a stretch of time when AVS was only offered in the fully loaded '02 model (excluding custom order). If AVS happens to be offered in one of the standard feature packages which suits you, the decision becomes much simpler.
    I respect you as well. You are one of the top posters on this forum, and I always value what you write.

I remember reading what Consumer Reports wrote about the AVS not being something they would choose. Again, 90-95% of ES drivers would not want it. I actually like a little sport in my driving but love Lexus and therefore got the ES with AVS.

An interesting note is that Lexus has been running full-page ads lately in the car magazines focused solely on AVS.
    Thanks for the informative discussion on adaptive suspension. Since the ES330 is going to be one pretty fast car (by sedan standards), the adaptive suspension might add a little sporty flavor to the vehicle (although there certainly ain't much IS in the ES).
  • daytona01daytona01 Member Posts: 46
    Planning:
     When planning to buy my 03 ES.. I think :
      - Premium package: leather + 6 CD changer => good things to have
      - VSC: skid control... a must... safety is always first...
      - HID: is an useless $600+ option(I live in metro area...only drive in New York and New Jersey which street light are everywhere)
      - Wood steering wheel: $300+ another expensive option..
      - Nav: I play with the nav at the dealer... it is so fragile... swing up/down to get CD in/out... and it is not as good as the nav of the Honda Accord...
      - Adaptive Variable Suspension:.. only on the full loaded.. => why don't get the GS (a real sport sedan) instead...
      - Levinson: if you have $$ to burn... Levinson is excelent... the sound is criper and stronger than standard system... However, the standard is very clear... so I will save the 1K different for my home plasma TV..

Buying:
      I only want Premium and VSC. However, VSC.. go together with HID as a package.. (aka.. safety package).. and it connect with the wood package...

At dealer.. there are only 4 kind of cars:
     1. base with premium $34K something
     2. premium + safety package + wood package $36K something
     3. premium + safety package + wood package + nav + some other thing $39K something
     4. full loaded with everything didn't ask

I don't want nav.. so for what I need... I choose with #2
    Premium + heated seat
            VSC + traction control + wood package
       trunk mate + wheel lock (expensive about $50)

The car I choose.. also has chrome wheel....it doesn't look great with color alabaster metallic ...
    dealer replace it with standard aluminum ones...

Using: I have owned my 03 for 5+ months.....

Options:
      HID: once you try it... I guarantee you will love it... I think it is worthy
      Wood steering wheel: not so bad.... it reminds me to drive carefull... Hey, I am a luxury car...:-)

How is the car:
      The car is awesome.... deadly quiet and so comfortable...
      On our 2.5 hours to Phila last month... we skip our usual rest area... and when we come... we feel just get off from a sofa...

Buy again: no no... not again...
    The ES is an excelent car ... so I plan to keep it...
    My 13 years old 90 Daytona with 170K still run good..
    So with just about 6K miles a year... I think the ES will be last 10 - 15 years.... and at that time I would go with a Boxter or Z4.... instead... :-)

Problem: My car lost power... 2 weeks ago.. reason.. I don't drive it enough...
    I called Road side assistant twice.. to jump the battery... their service is excelent.. (I feel my extra money is really worhty)... Brought the car to dealer... they replaced a new battery... no charge..

Happy driving everyone..
  • kennyg5kennyg5 Member Posts: 360
    Like you, I drive approx. 6k miles a year, and may be even less (about 5k) if I don't drive the car on my vacation. From you post, it appears that you are suggesting that driving 6k will not be sufficient to "recharge" the battery. Am I miscontruing your message?
  • nregnreg Member Posts: 1
    I bought mine 3 weeks ago for $34.9. Love it.

Premium package (wood / leather steering, HID, heated seats, rear sunroof, etc) + Nav + ML system.

Reason for buying the car: love listening to music, so wanted the quietest car + a good audio system! Interior was better than the E320 4matic, 330xi, Maxima (my other options). Exterior is ugly looking in my opinion.

Didn't buy VSC or AVS. On VSC: did some research and found out that it makes little difference on FWD cars. Tested the car out in very heavy rain a week ago (6 hr drive). Drove wonderfully. Much better than my traction control / VSC equipped BMW 325is in wet weather. No point in having AVS in my opinion (seriously guys, acceleration is below average as compared to Maxima, TL, etc, so I'd not spend any money to try make it sporty). Besides, the regular suspension is one of the best available in this class.

No transmission problems detected so far (driven 900 miles).
    I have a '95 960 with auto level in the rear suspension. I know it's not quite the same as AVS, but they are similar. AVS is much more advance than the auto-level suspension. I was looking for a price quote. A pair costs close to $1,200. Installation is not included.

I'd expect AVS be more expensive, cuz it's far more complex. But, on the other hand, this is a ES300 that we are talking about. It should be more reliable than a 960.
    When I brought my car to dealer for battery replacement... the lady service rep. told me... the car need to be driven at least 2 hours full per week for the battery to full recharge

My Daytona.. I can leave it for a month and have no problem to start it...

I exam the ES... and realize yeah... ES "eat" a lot of power:
     Lot of memory.. (seat, radio, CD remember where was the last time play at, clock)..
     HID.. in auto mode.. will stay about 60 sec.. before shut off...
     inteior light...
     AC can on before.. engine turn on...
     Alarm

More about car battery:
     http://uuhome.de/william.darden/carfaq5.htm
  • friendinthebizfriendinthebiz Member Posts: 31
    On the subject of adjustable and active suspension bits & pieces. We had a '90 T-Bird SuperCoupe with an automatic and/or driver selectable suspension. "Normal" and "Sport" were the available settings, hard braking/steering or throttle would tighten up the shocks for a minute or so.
         When the system failed (flashing dash indicator & no more Sport setting) the extended warrantee company cop-out was based on the driver selectable switch. The inference was that we broke it deliberately or some such B.S. When it worked it worked well, making the fast but overweight Ford dance around freeway ramps and other short chutes while cruising effortlessly down the superslab.
    I've left my '02 ES for over a month and had no issues driving the car on short trips around town right afterwards.
    I test drove an ES300 some time ago and as I recall there was something big and metallic in the center console storage bin. Is that part of the ML stereo or what? On another car the bin was empty. Am I imagining this?
    That's the CD changer if you have ML/Nav.
  • gekko2gekko2 Member Posts: 87
    In the Lexus press release for 2004, they mention a center console LED interior light. It's not talked about as one of the new 2004 features (inferring it's a carryover feature), yet I'm pretty sure my 2002 does not have this light. Does anyone else have this light that they know of? Was it added in 2003?
    kreativ:

I commute by bus... Daytona and ES are both my weekend cars..
       ES sedan when go out with wife or long distance trip..
       Othertime, Daytona coupe is more sporty and more fun to drive..

So, for my case... I think the dealer may be correct that the battery dead was b/c not being charged enough... However, it can be b/c the battery had some weak/dead cell... (as it happens with few other ES owners)

Or may be the dealer wants me to drive more.. => so they can have business with my service quicker..:-)

For your info:
     The standby mode power consumption for the ES is few 100 mA (another guy at ES owner club measured it)
     So yes.. you can leave it for a month or more and the car can start.. b/c the battery is "still alive"...
    But, I don't think it is a "healthy practice" for the battery...:-)..

raddboy41:
     1. 2 (two) hours each week not.. every day....
    Otherwise, I have to apply for a part time pizza delivery job.. :-)

2. I did check the old one... the status icon is red.. => dead...
        I looked carefully and made a little mark => don't want dealer recharge and put it back..
    b/c the battery was jumped once but lost power again..

They replaced a new battery... no charge...
    Otherwise, I will be very mad... my ES is 5 months old with just 2K miles on it
This discussion has been closed.