Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus ES 300/ES 330

Comments

• rbrrbr Member Posts: 113
    Does that mean that the current 2004 ES 330s wont ever be able to be easily retrofitted with XM, or does that mean the retrofit wont be availble until next year?

Thanks.
  • jragostajragosta Member Posts: 26
    It's unlikely that you'll be able to easily retrofit the stereo in the ES330 with any simple add-on. You can, however, replace the head unit if you wish.
  • lehighlexuslehighlexus Member Posts: 94
    You cannot retrofit the stereo, but you can either replace it, or get an FM module. I would recommend replacing it altogether. FM modulators are not known for the best sound quality
  • hhua1hhua1 Member Posts: 41
    We purchased the 97' ES300 5 months ago, it now have 91K miles. It has been running fine. I decided to change the spark plugs. When I took all the spark plugs out, of course it is harder to get to the back three spark plugs. I found that the front three have similar wear pattern. The back three have similar wear pattern but with much more wear. It is clear wear different between the front the the back spark plugs.

Unless this is the characteristics spark plug wear pattern of the ES300, I would assume something is very fishy during the previous tune up that the previous owner didn't aware.

By the way the spark plugs used were the OEM NGK which is $10 each at the discount automotive stores. Someone may have been charged for the services not being performed. I myself would hate to have thing like that done to me.
    That's another small strike against the ES 330 for my upcoming shopping. At least two other cars I'm considering (2004 Acura TL and 2004 Honda Accord) now offer XM standard (subject to a subscription of course). I suspect that XM combined with the ML stereo would sound great.

I'd never want to use the XM modulator either because: 1) sound quality would suffer, and 2) It doesn't look very good.
    There is a lot of hype for XM radio, but is it justified? Granted you have 110 channels or so for all different types of music. But, like digital cable, who is going to listen to all the channels. And to pay 10 or 12 bucks a month for as many channels as I get now locally, I don't see the use. My personal opinion
  • marinrainmarinrain Member Posts: 4
    I bought the ES 330 with navigation (the one that said 'SAT' on the button) - so can the stereo really be replaced? It doesn't have a cassette - so the 'roady' option is only possible with FM modulator --
    was I lied to (it would be available later)?
    (p.s. since I really care mostly about ESPN on XM sound quality as if for music isn't as big an issue) thx
    But check your local AM stations. I know in this area and most areas, ESPN has it's own AM station. (I believe it was 1260 or something like that. I'm usually never in my car, so I forget)

And as far as I've heard, Lexus will not retrofit satellite radio in ES330's. If I learn differently, I'll keep you posted
  • s852s852 Member Posts: 1,051
    The amount of ads on local radio is ridiculous.
    During commute times it seems like they play more ads than real content.
    You don't need to listen to all 110 stations. If there are even 10 stations you really like, it's worth it to hear back to back music or other content without investing in a massive CD collection.
    You can always switch back to local stations to hear the local weather and traffic for a minute or two, then switch back to XM the rest of the time if you didn't check before you left the house.
    Since the Sloara offers XM, I would think the ES330 will have it in a year or so.
  • cdnlexusmancdnlexusman Member Posts: 10
    Hello from Canada. I am enjoying this site as I am weeks away from ordering my new ES330 and want to know all I can about the changes I will experience from my 96 ES 300. I note the discussion and concerns about needing to purchase the Nav system to enjoy ML quality sound. Fortunately, in Canada, the ML package can be purchased as the 1st level up-grade over the standard package without the Nav which is part of a Premium Luxury package.
  • cdnlexusmancdnlexusman Member Posts: 10
    Other than in pics, I have not seen the ES 330 Nav system for real. Is there a front load CD player and if so where is it located? I am picturing a cartridge load in the centre console.
  • tk_dettk_det Member Posts: 21
    I saw on the Edmund's LS pages, a discussion about buying a Nav system upgrade and installing it yourself. Lexus-parts.com has the upgrade DVD for $288. Anybody bought from them? Anybody done this themselves? If yes how hard is it?
  • lenscaplenscap Member Posts: 854
    When you get the nav on the ES there are actually two CD players. One is a 6-disk changer located in the center console. The other is a single slot located behind the nav screen. To access this slot you push a button under the screen and it glides open.

If you do not get the nav there is just the 6-disk changer located in the dashboard (nothing in the center console).
  • marinrainmarinrain Member Posts: 4
    Interestingly, in my car (with Navigation) when you use the single CD in the dashboard you see name of CD, song etc. When you use the 6-CD in the center console it only gives, for example, CD 1 Track 2.

anyone know why (I assume car software)?

I'm curious, In car without Navigation what is shown?

thanks
  • babs43babs43 Member Posts: 13
    I know you only can get the ML with the Nav. But, is it possible to get the Nav without the ML? I got a price from a dealer on a "loaded" ES 330 with nav, and I assumed that ML was in the Nav package, BUT, now I don't know, when I think about it the dealer didn't say anything specific about ML. Thanks!
    I suppose it is always possible to see a car with nav but not ML, although highly unlikely. The only way I can think of is if somebody special ordered the car and then did not take delivery for some reason. But if somebody did do this, most likely the dealer kept their deposit (required upon placing the order).

But I don't even know if a special order would allow such a combination. According to kbb.com the nav and ML come together - there is no way to order them separately.

So, my guess is the car you mentioned has ML.
  • tk_dettk_det Member Posts: 21
    I saw on the Edmund's LS pages, a discussion about buying a Nav system upgrade and installing it yourself. Lexus-parts.com has the upgrade DVD for $288. Anybody bought from them? Anybody done this themselves? If yes how hard is it?
  • jeff5302jeff5302 Member Posts: 15
    Your story of repeated transmission problems is amazing. However, it sounds like you were treated fairly by Lexus. Where do you live, and who is your dealer? Also, your posting is the first that I have read placing the transmission problem in the 04 ES330 (I just bought a new 330). Have you had it checked, and what did Lexus have to say? Thanks for the information, and good luck with your latest car. Even a good dealership with a positive attitude doesn't really make up for all the time and effort.
  • boater99boater99 Member Posts: 2
    I'm close to buying new ES 330 and don't understand what the transmission problems have been specifically. The salesman assures me they have been fixed. Any more info?
  • motownusamotownusa Member Posts: 836
    That's the thing with the internet. Sometimes issues get blown out of proportion. Some people, a handful on this board, are claiming that the 02 and 03 ES300 doesn't always downshift quickly enough when gas is applied during passing and merging maneuvers. Most people will never ever feel this problem. I haven't. I guess to satisfy these people Lexus came up with a revised 5 speed automatic tranny for the 04 ES330. Basically what it does is hold a lower gear slightly longer than the previous transmission to eliminate excess gear hunting during passing and merging. Also during passing and merging it is suppose to downshift slightly quicker than the previous transmission. My advise is take a good thorough test drive before buying the car. If you think the car has any shortcomings or it just isn't suitable for your driving habits don't buy it. My father owns an 02 ES300 and he loves it very much. Then again he is 67 years old and not a lead footed driver.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Hi boater99. There has been a lot of conversation in the Town Hall about that very thing. You can use the "search this discussion" button, as well as the search features on the left side of the page to track down the messages.

That said, motownusa makes good points in his message.

Good luck.
  • paulmacirowskipaulmacirowski Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone heard of an upcoming (next month or two) price increase for the '04 ES 330? My dealer told me that the car will cost an extra $1200--$1500 if I wait. Sounds like typical sales pressure to me.
    I appreciate all the info on this board. Has helped a lot with my decision. I'm driving a 2000 RX 300 and am really looking forward to a sedan again. Had an '03 ES 300 loaner for 10 days when our transmission stopped working (it was replaced). Other than a very slight hesitation when upshifting (from first to second gear, mostly), the ES was a perfect car. Although the stereo didn't sound as good as the one in our RX (non-ML). There's no such thing as a perfect car, I guess.
    He may be right, but I have yet to hear anything on a price increase. Maybe it's a special order car or something? No special interest rates anymore on CPO, but December to Remember is right around the corner. Any questions let me know
  • iwseiwse Member Posts: 27
    lehighlexus, can you be more specific on what savings are associated with December to Remember?

thanks
    Could you define "right around the corner" in terms of a date? If not, a more subtle question -- does Lexus ever start "December to remember" in November?

Sorry to be a pest, but late November is my target purchase/lease period -- thanks.
    Of December. Sorry to be vague, but they don't give us exact dates. And as far as savings, no rebates or extra discounts. They will probably offer more attractive lease rates and lower interest rates. Once again, I don't know for sure, so don't quote me on it.
  • lexusrocklexusrock Member Posts: 74
    What are some products used by you that you like for cleaning and conditioning interior leather and dash? I got an ivory interior and while I like the color very much it sure is not very 'stain-shy'. Lexus sells some of those I think but I'm not sure if it's worthwhile to use Lexus products for that.
    There is no way the ES 330 will be going up in price $1200-1500. The car was essentially lowered by that amount for 2004 since the previously optional leather was made standard. If there is a price increase, it would not be until the spring and even then would only be $100-200. Lexus has never bumped up the price of a car by more than a few hundred dollars in mid-year (and any Lexus price increase in the middle of a model year is rare to begin with).
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    An excellent event, but those commercials are so elitist, bordering on vulgar. I hope Leuxs changes their ad campaign this year.

~alpha
    Are you referring to last year's commercial that included parents surprised their very young looking daughter with an IS 300?
  • s852s852 Member Posts: 1,051
    The IS300 ad where the the parents buy their 16 year old an IS300 was kind of funny and so was the one where the husband buys his wife a new LS400 and wraps it in a red ribbon.
    But many people who buy Lexus vehicles want that image or they would get a Toyota instead.
    The thread entitled "Transmission problems with 2003 ES-300 ?" contains a few recent posts suggesting the transmission shifting problem may have continued into the '04 model ES330. From what I've read, it's a computer programming problem creating the shifting irregularity. With a precious brand at stake, and if this is only a computer problem that presumably is remedied through re-programming, why would Lexus have not solved the problem with the '04 model year release?

I've test driven the '04 ES 330, but have no prior experience with the ES300, or its transmission problems. I must admit, I had not read all this feedback about shifting problems prior to my test drive, so I was not especially sensitive to shifting irregularity, but none was obvious. As a possible ES330 buyer, any more specific or conclusive feedback would be appreciated...that is in addition to my proposed second, more focused test drive. Does anyone know if Lexus is formally acknowledging problems with the '04? Thanks
  • bravedavebravedave Member Posts: 100
    I am new to this topic in Edmunds, so please bear with me. A common complaint with Japanese luxury cars has been their derivative and somewhat conservative styling relative to their European competitors. Has anyone seen the new Mercedes-Benz CLS concept? It is a swoopy four-door sedan based upon the E-Class, with coupe-like stying cues. To those who have seen the CLS, it is just me, or does it bear a slight resemblence to an ES330? Just a thought to see who is copying whom :)
    I'm liking your posts already. Keep up the good posts
  • jragostajragosta Member Posts: 26
    Read the entire thread.

There are two 'transmission' problems.

The first is that there's a brief lag when you hit the gas hard. This is actually a drive by wire problem and has nothing to do with the transmission. RPMs remain stable. The lag is brief, but noticeable on all drive by wire cars - including the '04 ES330.

The other is a true transmission problem that a small percentage of people see. The 'fix' is to reprogram the transmission. This improves it for some people but makes it worse for others. This problem's symptoms are a hesitation to go into gear when downshifting - usually accompanied by the engine RPMs going through the roof before the downshift occurs and then a hard clunk into gear. This problem does not appear to happen with the '04s. All the complaints of '04 'transmission' problems seem to involve the drive by wire issue.

I have an '04 and don't have any problems with the transmission at all. The drive by wire lag is only a minor annoyance and isn't even noticeable unless I mash the accelerator clear to the floor - which shouldn't happen if I'm driving with reasonable caution.
    very helpful...thanks
  • engrbillengrbill Member Posts: 6
    We have an '03 ES300 with rain sensing wipers (my wife's car primarily). We both hate this option and find that it does not work well at all. I have a '04 RX and the rain sensing wipers work very well (obviously an improved design). The Dealer says there is nothing wrong with the ES wipers. We still hate them. Has anyone ever looked into converting rain sensing wipers to regular manual delay? If one does not order the options with rain sensing I assume that there must be a manual set up. Dealer gave us a song and dance. Any suggestions?
  • simmomisimmomi Member Posts: 11
    Just wanted to say Thank You to all of you who post to these boards about the ES330/300. I've spent several months reviewing different automobiles in preparation for my next car purchase. The messages I've read on the board(along with time spent behind the wheel), have helped me in finalizing my decision to purchase an ES330.

The thing that's killing me is that my accountant wife wants me to wait until her vehicle is paid off in June. If that's what it takes, so be it. But until then, I'll keep drooling on everyone else's ES 3xx until I can get my own. ;-)

Thanks so much for the informative reading.
  • atoewsatoews Member Posts: 637
    and do searches. Helpful Threads under "Maintenance and Repair" are "Store Bought Waxes (no Zaino Posts)" and "Zaino Car Polishes/Products--Your Experiences (Part 2)"

I use the Zaino polymer sealant so it is easy for me to order the Leather Cleaner and Leather In A Bottle. I like the Zaino leather cleaner/treatment just fine, but you might not want to order it.

On the "No Zaino" thread, you can do a search. Poster bretfraz is very knowledgable, so you can't go wrong by doing a search on "bretfraz leather".

I think he likes Pinnacle and some other brand, but I don't remember it right now. Some like Lexol a lot.

Good luck.
  • atoewsatoews Member Posts: 637
    that you can select "Lo" or "Hi" for non-rain- sensing mode. Only "Auto" is rain-sensing.

Be sure to follow the owners manual. Specifically, if you start up the engine with "Auto" selected, you may have to rotate switch out of Auto and back to get it to work. Also, be sure your sensitivity is set where you want it.

I like the rain sensing better than timed intermittant myself.
  • raddboy41raddboy41 Member Posts: 249
    LEXOL - ask any leatherman, err.....leather(PERSON). :^)
  • engrbillengrbill Member Posts: 6
    atoews....Thanks for the feedback. We have tried the recommended steps. I just don't think you should have to be turning wipers on an off manually for light rain in a car in this class. The behavior is very unpredictable. Sometimes the windshield can be full of rain and the wipers will not start, other times there is hardly any rain and they will not stop. There does not seem to be any logic. Resetting by cycling through off and auto does not change the behavior and varying the "+" and "-" settings does not produce predictable results either. I suppose we could move to the desert....
  • hintzhintz Member Posts: 71
    Did you know that you can adjust the sensitivity of the wipers by turning the knob on the wiper handle +/-?
  • nfjnrnfjnr Member Posts: 25
    I have had my 2003 ES since Dec 2002 but didnt start to drive regularly until April. I have 2700 miles and not wanting to wait until 5000 mile to change the oil, bought my car in for its first oil change. By the way I did not get the transmission upgrade because I havent experienced the tranny problems discuseed on this and other boards.

Anyway upon returning home I looked at the printout of the service performed and I noticed that it said they added 6 quarts of 10w 30 oil. I know the manual says use 5w30 oil and the filler cap in the engine block says 5w30 oil. So I called up the service rep and he said in Florida {where I live} they always use 10 w 30 for all the Lexuses. Can anyone who lives In Florida or Calif or other warmer climate states if they have had the same experience. Thanks
    Living in Florida using the car A/C is a given daily. Normally I hit the auto button and the direction of the airflow is to the top of the icon in the display on the mode setting. Which is where I want it However today I noticed after I hit the auto button, a few minutes later, the auto indicator light went out, and the A/C light indicator replaced it, and the airflow direction on the mode icon was directed to the floor. The only difference circumstance was it was a little cooler and the air temp was set higher than usually, and I had depressed the defogger to clear up the windows. Has any else experienced this? Thanks Nick
  • kreativkreativ Member Posts: 299
    Look in your owner's manual. It states 5w30 or 10w30, along with a temperature chart for both. 10w30 is often preferred in warmer climates...it's more stable, and can easily handle the coldest nights in these warm climate areas. According to Lexus, a full drain and refill with filter for the 3.0L V6 in the '03 ES only takes 5qts. Typically less since most service shops don't allow much time for the oil to fully drain. If you think they actually used 6qts., then you should be checking the dipstick right now.
    I prefer the rain sensing wipers on my '02 ES to the standard intermittent setting. It has worked reliably for me, and I can adjust the sensitivity to my needs. Maybe yours are malfunctioning, and it really should be working as it does in your '04 RX. Perhaps find another '03 ES to test-drive on a rainy day.
    Thanks for your reply and comments. You are correct, the oil capacity is 5 quarts. My oil level is fine so I guess the technician punched in the wrong number.I realize the 10w-30 oil will be fine since I am in Florida, but I was just trying to follow what the owners manual says. My manual says 5w30, and I am quoting now "If 5w-30 is not available,10w-30 may be used. However it should be replaced with 5w-30 at the next oil change."I also have only a temperature chart for the 5w-30, not for both grades in my owners manual. Maybe our manuals are different. What year is year car?
    I have an '02 - same 1MZ-FE 3.0L V6 engine as in your '03. The reason 10W-30 is used in warm weather climates is because it's more stable (less prone to breaking down), has a better NOACk value, and has less VI improvers than 5W-30. After all, something has to give to improve an oil's range.
    5W-30 is certainly the "one oil covers all" recommended setting for the whole US. Unless you think you'll be driving in -10 degrees Celcius weather, 10W-30 is just fine. All the name brand 10W-30 oils have pour points of -25 degrees Celcius or colder.

In a warm weather climate which doesn't get extremely hot during the summers, it's really a minor point though. Your peace of mind is probably a bigger factor. So next time, request that they use 5W-30. Their tanks are filled with 10W-30 bulk oil, so they'd rather use that (cheaper and easier for them). But for the price Lexus charges for an oil change, they should be able to accomodate you without any fuss. Whether you actually get 5W-30 is up to you watching them pour the oil into your car.
    For those that did not see, Automotive Lease Guide recently issued a press release honoring those 2004 vehicles in each segment predicted to retain the highest percentage of their original value. For the near luxury segment, the ES 330 was #1.
This discussion has been closed.