Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus ES 300/ES 330

Comments

• sean300sean300 Member Posts: 41
    OK, I tried to clear up the lens using a polishing compound. It cleared it up a little, so then I applied Turtle Wax rubbing compound. The light looks better than it did before but still has a fair amount of haze. What store carries the PlastX? Auto Zone? Pep Boys, Aid Auto Stores (can't locate it - just the Mothers Plastic wax which does nothing)?
    Lounger, I think that I do have a separate differential. However, reading your post I think that I'll leave it alone. According to Haynes Camry manual (which also covers ES300, Avalon and Solara models: all have the same v6) the 99 and up es300's differentials are not a closed system. It was a pain getting the drain bolt off of the pan (which has a slight leak, by the way - think its the pan bolts). And I am trying to locate the PlastX in the auto stores but can not find it. Can you tell me what store I may find it at (I am near Pep Boys, Advanced Auto and Auto Zone)?
  • loungerlounger Member Posts: 32
    I think I bought PlastX at Pep Boys, but I would call before driving over. Good luck.
    I bought it today at Auto Zone but will have to wait until tomorrow to try it out - raining today. Does this stuff work? I tried Mother's Plastic wax but it just made the lens somewhat shiny, not clear. There's stuff on eBay but I think that it is cheap stuff that is probably worthless. I really want to avoid buying a new lens (bought drivers side used on eBay from a Lexus dealer in Georgia: $100).
  • pookie1090pookie1090 Member Posts: 1
    I have a Lexus es300 and i was wondering if anybody can expalin what the problem might be. The VSC engine light and VSC off indicater lights are shown on the dash, and now the car wont go into four gear and the o/d wont engage. I
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Do you mean you have a CEL, Check Engine Light..??

If so then VSC/Tc off is a normal default indication resulting form a CEL as is the lack of the system to use OD.

Tighten the gas cap or fix the engine....
    I recently replaced all four struts on my '98 es300. Bought kyb's off of ebay - got a really good deal. Last week (after having them installed by my mechanic) I was going over the Throgs Neck Bridge when all of the sudden the car began to shake violently. I was lucky to get the car back to my mechanic, told him what had happened and asked why my car was shaking like that. He took the struts apart and I was told that the replacement struts have slightly larger mounting holes for the bolts (to connect to control arm) than the original lexus struts that were replaced. He said that he put washers on to eliminate the play. Has anyone dealt with this issue? Is this a safe fix? I also had an alignment a few days before; my guys are trying to blame Mavis but I told them that an alignment has nothing to do with loose struts. I welcome any input/opinions or facts. Thanks.
    Ebay.....Got a really good deal....

Still think that..??

Many mechanics (Firestone -- Goodyear) would take what you have just done as something of an insult and while maybe not directly sabotage the effort they might very well overlook some flaw in the parts you bring to them.

Sound familiar..?
    No, I don't think that I am insulting anyone. My mechanic has said from the very beginning that he does not have a problem with customers buying their own parts. He is more than willing to put them on and he is very professional. Also, he is getting paid for his labor. While it is true that he may receive more money by supplying parts to the customer, he is not like your ordinary mechanic and his fees are within reason. And as for the parts being "flawed" the ebay buyer that I purchased the struts from has a 99.9 percent positive feedback rating and is a ebay Power seller, which mean that he does not sell crappy automotive parts. If he was selling junk then be assured that no one would buy from him and he would not be selling auto parts or anything else for that matter on ebay. I sent the seller an email about the problem and he replied immediately; he even offered to send a new pair of front struts without hesitation. In addition, I believe that ebay has customer resolution services and a guarantee on purchases up to $2, 000. So, I do not think that the parts were defective. Actually, I think that the seller was doing the right thing and backed his product with integrity.
  • olddude2olddude2 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 ES 300 w/77K miles. Recently it has developed a rumbling noise from the suspension or tires when traveling at low speed over slightly rough roads. Toyota said the struts are fine and recommended replacing the tires (only 25K on tires) which I rotate regularly and have plenty of tread remaining. My tire supplier (Les Schwab) just rotated the tires without mentioning new ones. They also mentioned the bearings look fine. Very annoying since it has otherwise been a smooth carefree car. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
  • summer4eversummer4ever Member Posts: 3
    I purchased a 99 ES300 with 85,000 miles about a month ago. Its got some really odd problems, the most noteworthy being that the stereo (which fades in and out randomly) only plays when the fuel door button is pressed (bizzare!), as soon as you release the button, it stops again. It sounds like its tied into the amp, because at full volume you can hear it without pressing the fuel door button, but just barely.

Also, the check engine/VSC lights come on and go off randomly. I was told that I could use regular gas, but I am starting to think that might be the problem. I was told it was a knock sensor when the dealership hooked it up to the computer.

Any one have any advice for either one of these issues? ...Thanks.
  • larry1larry1 Member Posts: 29
    You have some very strange problems. The only thing that I can tell you is that you can use any grade of gasoline. The engine control module will make any necessary adjustments to the engine's timing, which compensates for whatever fuel the engine is using at any given second. I used to use regular on my 2000 ES300, but on a long trip that I took, I found that while premium costs more, I got better mileage using premium. But regular is fine. Your other problems are not.
    That is good to know. The check engine light has been staying off since I have been using premium so far. Its very close to time for the timing belt replacement/90K service, so I'll try running a tank of regular in it again after that and see if it comes back on. I've got a Lexus mechanic looking into the stereo problem right now. I am just hoping that it is minor. I am starting to really like the car, other than crappy gas mileage (compared to my civic...which I expected). It's a very comfortable car, its handled much better than I'd ever imagined on the ice, and I LOVE the heated seats! := )
    Update:
    The check engine light is on because of faulty knock sensors. They recommend replacing both and the harness at the same time for about $1050.00. A friend of mine who is a mechanic says the knock sensors are no big deal and if I don't fix it for a while it won't hurt the engine... Lexus says it could hurt it if the overdrive stays off.
    The stereo problemn seems to have been fixed just by taking a few fuses out and putting them back in... (so far so good)
    I agree with your mechanic friend. I would not bother to replace the knock sensors if it costs that much. Unless your car is pulling a trailer uphill while using regular unleaded, the engine should not "knock" anyway. Just put a piece of black tape over that irritating "check engine" light :)
    Has anyone considered that it is unlikely that both knock sensors failed simultaneously and/or it is much more likely that the engine, BOTH banks, are actually knocking due to low fuel pressure, clogged fuel filter...,etc....??
  • hbthbt Member Posts: 1
    One morning, I heard a noise from the engine compartment. I took it the Lexus dealer. The mechanic rep. told me that the noise came the transmission block. He advised me that the transmission needs to be replaced and it will cost me over $4K.

Is this typical for a ES300 Lexus considering 155k mile, working transportation for 1 person driving on flat highway, regular maintenance visits at the Lexus dealer?

Need your feedback.

hbt
  • robertiyrobertiy Member Posts: 1
    I have a chance to purchase a 2001 ES300 for $10,000 OTD from a single owner in Hawaii. Has not been driven much in about a year. The original owner died and his brother held it for him. Now the original owner's daughter at college in the mainland wish to sell.

48,000 miles, Premium Plus package, automatic sun/moon roof and a 6 disk CD changer in the glove compartment. Not to sure about any other options.

Both front leather seats show some wear. The rear bumper has a lot of minor damage. Front bottom grill has some too. Otherwise the body has no other damage or rust anywhere that I can tell. Tires in good to great condition. Runs and rides well.

Never rode in a Lexus before so nothing to compare with.

Anything I should be asking or looking for?

Any help appreciated,
    Robert
  • catdaddylongcatdaddylong Member Posts: 53
    Today I parked in front of a store with a glass window and when I started up my car to leave I noticed that my Daylight Driving Lights did not come on. I fooled around with the light switch trying to see if I could get them to come on but to no avail. As soon as I released the parking brake the DDL's came on. When I arrived home I could see the DDL shinning on the back of my gagrage and I applied the emergency break and they remained on. Is this a normal function or do I have something flakey going on ?
    SOP..

If the e-brake is applied when you start the car the DRLs will not come on until you release it. Once they're on they do not go out until the ignition is switched off.

Cold winter night drive-in threatre "feature".
  • catdaddylongcatdaddylong Member Posts: 53
    Thanks for the info wwest. Even though I bought the ES330 new I only have 16K on it and it is still in warranty if something is wrong. Just never have parked where I could see the front end of the car when I started it until the other day.
  • msilverscrvmsilverscrv Member Posts: 5
    :confuse: Original 98 ES300 owner having trouble locating replacement "gas door spring assembly". After 10 years (and just 80K mi), door no longer pops open when pressing dashboard button, but can be pushed open. Long term faithful mechanic has dealt with 2 Lexus dealers' parts depts waiting 8 weeks for a replacement. At this rate I don't think it will ever come and I've suggested he check at a salvage yard. Anyone have a reliable used Lexus parts-by-mail dealer I should try? Any other ideas on how I can get this silly little part?

Thanks.
    https://www.rockauto.com/

http://www.sewelllexus-dallas.com/PartsOrderForm

I have ordered a part from rock auto, and I have ordered keys from Sewell, but their website for selling parts used to be lexus-parts.com
  • heyw00dheyw00d Member Posts: 10
    Does anyone know how to change Air filter for 2004 ES 330 ? need Step-by-Step information, video or pictures. Also, what is the part number for Air and Cabin Filter and best place to buy ?

thanks
    I own a '98 es300, 183k on the "clock." Recently, I had a check engine light diagnosed and was told that the code was for a knock sensor malfunction. My question is this: If I do not replace the sensors right away will it cause any problems with the car? Also, I asked my mechanic to check the differential fluid; he checked the tranny dipstick and said that the fluid was full. Is the differential separate from the tranny or is it one unit? My guy said that you service the differential through the transmission.
  • kw_carmankw_carman Member Posts: 114
    After totaling my 2002 Civic coupe at the infamous "Spaghetti Junction" (I-85/I-285 interchange) in Atlanta, I'm in the market for a "new" car. Since I'm looking for something bigger and preferably with side airbags, I've been looking at ES300's from 2000-2001.

From what all I've read in this topic I'm starting to get pretty concerned--is there anything in particular I need to watch out for? I've always assumed these cars were fairly reliable, but many of the problems on here sound rather costly.
    You were more likely told the problem was a "knock sensor RELATED malfunction.

The throwing of a code, CEL, due to the knock sensor triggering could be the result of a number of engine component problems, or even the engine itself.

Yes, the front diff'l runs in ATF.
    Thanks for the information. How can I check for other problems related to the engine? I really do not think the engine itself is the problem. Is there a flow chart? I now have 189k and despite CEL the car is running fine. Should I change dif fluid. Has not been changed since I got the car but replaced drive axles 2-3 months ago.
    The shop/repair manual has a troubleshooting flow chart for "chasing" thrown codes.
  • alexis4alexis4 Member Posts: 3
    To service or repair your Lexus, there is actually a really good manual (thick) out there. My brother has it, in his garage a little greasy, but he's done a lot of maintenance on his Lexus. It runs great with over 200,000 miles on the clock. www.lexusenglewood.com
  • notbrockyatesnotbrockyates Member Posts: 19
    The inside of the rear window on our '05 ES330 has some kind of crud or film on it that is slowly getting harder and harder to see through. Cannot clean it with window cleaner or vinegar and water but it kind of scrapes off under a fingernail. Any idea what this is? Is there supposed to be some kind of coating to protect the defogger wires that might be going bad? Dealer as you might imagine, was clueless.
    Plastic window tint..??
  • debgirldebgirl Member Posts: 1
    The sound on my Mark Levinson system just stopped working in my 05 ES330. The sound on the navigation works but no sound on the radio/cd players. The warranty is now out due to the miles. Any one ever had this problem or heard of it? Sure hope it will be an easy, inexpensive fix. Thanks for any advice?
  • texastownhalltexastownhall Member Posts: 22
    I have inherited my wife's 2005 ES330 (She's got the Infiniti EX35) . It is approaching 50K miles. Transmission hesitation problem, I lived with as I learned to drive conservatively. In return, saved me from many speeding tickets.

I am ready to move on to a different car though. I looked at 2005/2006 CPO LS430, since it was the ultimate luxury. Testing driving the LS430 taught me that ES330 was very nicely built car for the half of the price.

So, for those former or about to become a former ES330 owners, what car or SUV are you considering?

After the comfort ride in the ES330, I don't think I can ever go back to small cars like 328, C300 or even G35/G37 coupe.

Thanks.
  • curt2005curt2005 Member Posts: 70
    When I bought my used ES330, I also drove the ES350 a couple of times. A big difference (aside from the price ) was the very large blind spot on the 350.

BTW, when you do need to really accelerate just depress the gas pedal very quickly. The engine computer will then accelerate the car quickly.

My theory is that the slow acceleration was designed into the software so that the car would get better pollution ratings.
    How quickly you depress the gas pedal has less to do with avoiding the 1-2 second downshift delay/hesitation than how "quickly" (or slowly) you released the gas pedal just previously.

Oftentimes when you relax pressure on the gas pedal an upshift sequence will begin. Once that upshift has begun and you now suddenly wish to accelerate the DBW system will ENFORCE a delay in rising engine torque until the upshift is completed, and the subsequent downshift (for acceleration) is completed.

Even worse if the previous releasing of the gas pedal was a full release. In that case the engine RPM will have dropped to idle and the ATF line pressure volume capability will drop accordingly, resulting in an elongated re-acceleration downshift delay, more in the range of 2+ seconds.

Newer Toyota/Lexus FWD and F/awd vehicles, ~'08 and forward, have revised engine/transaxle ECU control firmware that "watches" the rate at which the gas pedal is released and attempts to predict your current/future intent. When accelerating slowly or moderately, and with a quick/fast release of the gas pedal will result in the transaxle remaining in the lower gear you were just using for acceleration. Whereas a slow/easy release of the gas pedal in the above circumstance will result in a normal upshift on the assumption that your wish is to exit acceleration "mode" and simply begin cruising along.

The problem is that the driver does not always know his/her "future" intent, as in slowing for a stop light which suddenly turns green. Or in a freeway entry/acceleration lane, fully release the gas pedal to/while looking over your shoulder for a traffic entry slot, oops, one upcoming but now no downshift available for the next 2 seconds...

The Ford Edge has adopted a variable displacement ATF oil pump to overcome this problem, high volume capacity with low engine RPM and incrementally lower capacity as engine RPM climbs.
  • mgormanmgorman Member Posts: 1
    Have a chk engine light and Traction Control light. What are the steps to check/diagnose? Thanks
  • wdwwardwdwward Member Posts: 9
    I am the original owner of a 1998 Lexus ES 300. It has just turned 81K. Besides the usual maintenance at every 3,750 miles, I have had the following done:
    New tires at 45K.
    Replace cabin air filter at 60K ($75).
    Replace 2 oxygen sensors at 64K ($500).
    New battery and alternator at 75K (405).

The brakes still have 25% left and a Lexus dealer has never seen the car since I bought it. A good independent garage in Seattle has always serviced it. I plan to replace the timing belt & water pump at 90K.

Now a question for you experts - how long can I expect it to go without major repair?
  • carholmcarholm Member Posts: 1
    I am currently looking for a one of these which include the nav system. for a 2002 lexus 300ES. Wow.Harder than I thought. Tryin desperately to find a cheap one online.If anyone has any advice,pls.advise eek,help! thx
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    Depends on what you call major repair. If you consider a Radiator or Alternator major, then probably 150,000 miles. If you consider the engine or trnasmission major, you can probably get to 300,000 miles if properly maintained.
    Hi. I have posted in this forum many times before but I need help with another issue. I have a 98 es300, 199,400 miles on the odometer. Just replaced the alternator with a rebuilt one. The abs and traction control light have flickered on and off for a few minutes 2-3 days in the last week. The lights go on simultaneously and blink for a couple of minutes then go off. Can anyone tell me what is going on and how do I correct this? I know that I will have normal breaking even if the system is off. Thanks for your input.
  • dmac50dmac50 Member Posts: 1
    Let me if your search is a successful one. I am looking for the same thing.
  • firbirdfirbird Member Posts: 9
    I need tire recommendations for Lexus ES330 2005 in Charlottesville VA.

Thanks.
  • paul3637paul3637 Member Posts: 45
    Go with the Michelin Primacy MXV4. I put them on my wife's 02 Lexus ES300 and my 09 Camry. They have 60K warranty and are the top rated tire in the November 2009 Consumer Reports tests of 29 H & V rated tires. They are also best in class on tirerack.com road tests and consumer reviews.

Really upgraded the Handling significantly in from the OEM Camry Bridgestone Turanzas which wore out prematurely.
  • cocacolabeartxcocacolabeartx Member Posts: 1
    Hello all and Merry Christmas!

Just purchased a 2003 Lexus ES300 with 57K miles. Paid 13K for it in Houston, Texas at Westside Lexus. Rudy Hall was my salesman and did a good job I felt. If you need a good friendly salesman give him a call. Car is in pretty awesome shape. New Michelin tires and all the services are documented through the dealership and even the 60K and 65K miles services have been completed. Car was bought and traded in at this dealership. They would have certified it for $2900 more, but I decided against it for the money.

Moving from a Volvo S80 into this machine. The volvo has been an awesome car except for the electrical repairs that are starting to add up.

Looking forward to learning more about this car from you guys! Thanks

Cocacolabeartx
  • pinaynarspinaynars Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 2006 Lexus ES330..i was offered by the dealership to purchase an alarm system. I was wondering if i am being offered an item that is already built in the car. I need your help ASAP because i still have the option to cancel the installation of an alarm system. I was also offered to purchase a warranty, 4 years/50,000 miles for $2,100. Is it worth it to buy the warranty? My new car's mileage is 45,700. Thanks. Pinaynars
  • wangguywangguy Member Posts: 3
    My driver's side low beam just went out on my 2002 Lexus ES300. Can I just replace a bulb or do I have to buy the whole headlight assembly. The manual doesn't say.
    Thanks.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    The bulb can be replaced.
  • overscanoverscan Member Posts: 1
    I've just purchased a 99 Lexus and I hope someone can help me with some CD player questions.

I currently have no player in my lexus but would like to install one. I understand that there were two types used. Trunk mount and glovebox mount. Which one was used in the 99 es300?

What cables would be needed (if required) and would it be a plug and play situation?
  • toyolla2toyolla2 Member Posts: 158
    regarding the '99 ES300
    The Pioneer 6-disc CD autochanger (Multi-CD Play) is located in the glovebox. The car is pre-wired for this option which was dealer installed.

The magazine holds six trays with the CD's loaded label face down - Pioneer Style. Although the magazine appears similar to that which Pioneer uses on their home machines it is not compatible.
    The Lexus trays slide out for loading, the domestic Pioneer has the trays pivot out from one corner.

The player was always included in Package 1 cars which had the moonroof as well. That may not be too helpful because the last time I was in a breaker's yard I don't recall seeing any Lexus at all.

I would at least try your local dealer. I remember at the time, while outside, deciding on the color scheme, the salesman drew my attention to a totalled Lexus just brought in order to demonstrate the effectiveness of the much trumpeted "crumple zones" on this car. The owner was able to walk away, he said. Which got me to thinking it's possible they remove any goodies like the CD player and put them up on EBAY.
This discussion has been closed.