Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus ES 300/ES 330

Comments

• peter80peter80 Member Posts: 11
    Would anyone care to share their service experiences at either Difeo or Warnock Lexus (both in New Jersey). I'm guessing they're both fine but I'd rather base my decision on facts if I can find them. Thanks!
  • ved3ved3 Member Posts: 43
    hey congrats on getting a new ES.
    welcome to the lexus experience.

I know exactly what you mean about driving the
    ES; owning it is even better. you know you
    haven't spent a fortune on it but it pampers you
    like you have spent a fortune to feel this way.

I look forward to driving it home from work every
    day and look for excuses to take it on long trips
    because it's a world class cruiser on the highway--very relaxing.

many people have made the switch from American
    to Japanese cars. but I think American cars are
    getting better. however they all should get
    lessons from lexus on customer service. even
    toyota customer service is not as good as lexus.
    go figure???
  • si88si88 Member Posts: 39
    justfind6,
    I'll check into it thanks. Phantom does offer a 30 day money back guarantee. Also a good friend of mine is a cop. I'll see if he'd be willing to test one day.

ripinrocket,
    That sounds pretty fast. I don't know if I'll ever get up to that but was just curious. Gas mileage must not be very good at 140. Whats been the avg mi per gal at normal city and hwy speeds?

ved3,
    Yes the Lexus experience is everything I've always heard. Excellent. Too bad other dealerships don't follow their lead. After all it is all about customer service. I mean people can just buy on-line and never visit a dealership in this day and age. And frankly why would you the way most of them treat you. To me next to getting a good deal on a car, customer service is the next most important thing.
  • lm0511lm0511 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking at buying a 92 ES from a local guy that has a small lot. Can anyone give me info about the 92's? Any problems with that year I need to be aware of? Also, miles per gallon for hwy use?
    Mileage is around 75,000--and the guy said the AC has already been worked on.
  • jayg4jayg4 Member Posts: 1
    I was told you should you premium gas in the ES 300? Is this true? What happends if you use regular 87 octane? Would this hurt the car? Tx..Jay
    jay,
    I don't think regular unleaded would damage your
    ES. its performance is much better I think with
    premium unleaded. I've always used premium but
    with the prices ridiculously high these days, I've
    started to use regular or unleaded-plus I think
    until prices go down.

lm0511,
    As long as it's a lexus, there's a good chance
    that the car you're considering is still in good
    condition. however, I would have it inspected by
    an independent mechanic, somebody you think is
    honest. used cars should always be closely checked

si88,
    I wouldn't go over 100 unless you're at a long
    straight highway by yourself and not on a twisty
    road. the fastest I've ever gone is close to 90.
    the ES of course is just as quiet at 90 as at
    50. most other cars' engine roar when you max the
    accelerator. I think the miles/gal is most
    efficient at around 65. beyond that you lose a lot
    of gas.
  • bigjerrybigjerry Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2k ES300 with about 12k miles on it. I have always used regular gas since that's what the Lexus dealer told me to use -- no reason to waste money for unneeded performance. There has never been any problems either with name brands or non-branded fuels. I tend to use Amoco when available.
  • rkillionrkillion Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a used 1992 Lexus ES300 and was surprised at the road noise at high speeds (70-90mph). It sounds like most of the noise is coming from the driver/passenger window sill. Has anyone experienced this ?
  • dardson1dardson1 Member Posts: 696
    What I wanted was a nice looking car that was quick, silent, fun to drive, and a dealer that gave a hoot after I bought the car. What a deal the '01 ES300 is! We took it in for the 1000 mile whatever-it-was check. They washed it while it was there! I paid a little over $30k. My gosh...everything cost that much these days. I paid more than that for my Expedition, and believe me, they do not wash it when I take it in.
    It is terrific....standard Lexus stereo is tip-top...not a hint of a rattle, anywhere....quality feel top to bottom....and plenty fun to drive. I love it!
    I know that feeling Dardson. so you made the
    jump too.

I think lexus continued success will gradually
    force other luxury car makers to adopt the
    lexus "#1 policy is to make and keep our customers happy" business model. the result of
    course is that we consumers will benefit from
    their constant drive to improve customer services.
    imagine taking any car in for service and can
    expect it washed, wax, and ready for you next
    day. you get a free loaner if needed or a free
    shuttle service to/from dealer center. it could
    make the local car wash-o-matic obselete. you
    don't have to do much to care for your car. of
    course the catch is to always take your car in
    to the dealer for regular maintenance.

now stop dreaming!!
  • no1trustno1trust Member Posts: 151
    We've never had any courtesy van service, though. Only loaners, and normally taken to spouse's job while ours is taken to the shop for whatever in exchange (and we're ordinary people, not CEOs). Beautiful quiet car with 73,000+ miles on it now-rides better than most cars we've test driven new. As long as Lexus keeps its #1 service, superior product, and reasonable prices we'll always keep at least one in our driveway. Toyota Corp. should make the Lexus wannabe (Camry) have the same high level of customer service.
  • afinegoldafinegold Member Posts: 57
    I agree with bigjerry. I also have a 2000 ES300 and have used regular unleaded gas in it the whole year-plus that I've owned it, as per the Lexus salesman, the Lexus service dept., and I believe the owner's manual. Not one ping or gas knock, ever.

But just for kicks I may try a tank or two of plus or premium to see if I notice any slight performance or gas mileage difference. Any advice from anyone on whether it would be better to try that kind of an experiment with in-town vs. highway driving?

Al--
  • lenscaplenscap Member Posts: 854
    If you go on the Toyota web site in Japan you'll see an all-new model just introduced called the Brevis. I have stated before I doubt this is the new ES because the dimensions are a bit smaller than today's ES 300, and supposedly the new car will be bigger.

But the Brevis looks so much like a scaled down LS 430. This is the first time I can recall Toyota making two cars look so similar. It makes me second-guess myself and think maybe this is the new ES. I still doubt it, but you never know.

The interior is beautiful as well.

By the way, the direct link to the site is:

http://www.toyota.co.jp

ved3: While you can use regular gas in an ES, it is not recommended to use premium and then switch. The engine has a "memory" and once it gets used to the premium may not be as smooth and efficient with the regular. By the way, the difference between premium and regular is only about 20¢, not a whole lot.

• s_threes_three Member Posts: 9
    lm0511: When you say the AC has been worked on, I presume you mean it was converted from R12 to R134A. Make sure that the system does not LEAK. I was looking at buying one of those from a acquaintance, who didn't sell it to me and later told me the reason was that the AC leaked and it's hard to prevent the leak when the conversion is done.
  • s_threes_three Member Posts: 9
    I have a 92 ES in which the OEM stereo doesn't have the CD controller. I installed a Sony CDX-540RF changer,which while works all right, delivers poor performance. I am considering getting a used stereo with the CD controls and also the OEM 6 disc changer. Any ideas on where I can get such equipment cheap.
  • armstrjmarmstrjm Member Posts: 1
    What is a good price for a new 2001 ES? The dealer here in New Orleans wanted to low ball me on my trade and essentially get sticker for the ES($35K). It's one thing to low ball the trade, but I can't see handing him a $5000 markup on the new car also. Their attitude was pretty much we don't discount and someone will buy it.
  • norcalmikenorcalmike Member Posts: 25
    Hey gang,

Check out the Progress (2nd new veicle listed in the center column) on the web site that Lenscap gave us. Could the Japanese "Progress" be our new beloved 2002 ES300? I sure hope so.
  • rickc5rickc5 Member Posts: 378
    Looks like it was designed by Beevis & Butthead.

Sorry, NOT what I would buy. When we FINALLY see what the new ES looks like, I may have to run down to get a 2001 before they're all gone. So far, nothing I have seen as "potentials" does anything for me.
  • ripinrocketripinrocket Member Posts: 157
    The IS300 has the same chassis as the Progress. The Progress is RWD and is only about 175" or so in length and has the same wheelbase as the IS300. The Progress has also been sold in Japan for a few years now.

The ES300 is called the windom is Japan, and it will continue to be called the Windom. So, until you see picks of the upcoming Windom, you will not see what the 2002 ES300 will look like.
  • wscheewschee Member Posts: 18
    hey lenscap that's interesting about the
    engine memory. didn't know that. is it a computer
    memory or just the metal pipes adapting?
    guess I'm stuck to using premium forever then.
    I've tried to use regular but keep pressing for
    premium due to force of habit. the average
    difference is about 20 cents.

Al,
    I do notice a little improvement in acceleration
    and fuel efficiency. highway is best to test this.

the brevis is elegant. nice interior but ripinrocket is probably right. until we see some
    new windom pics, it's probably not the 2002 es.
    I just wish they would make an English version
    for us American snoops.

s_three,

you may find a fully functional stereo cd unit
    in a salvage lexus. I think it's Astra Motors.
    not sure. go to www.yahoo.com and type search
    for salvage lexus or Astra ...these people sell
    damaged lexus, other cars at low prices.

armstrjm,

try carsdirect.com or other guys here may know.

wschee,
    I couldn't get anything out of the link you
    provided.

thanks everybody for sharing your info
    I meant an English version of that jp.co site.

about the brevis, if brevis is just a concept
    name, then they can officially call it windom
    later. but why would they change the windom name
    since they've kept same names for other lexus
    model japanese counterparts? although the brevis
    looks like the LS, GS, and a Buick all rolled
    into one. still don't know.........
  • climclim Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1999 ES300, and have been very happy with the car. Recently, I have been driving the car with the traction control turned off. The car now seems to accelerate faster. Has anyone else out there tried this?

Also, does anyone know the best way to remove fine scratches from the interior wood trim?
  • peter7777peter7777 Member Posts: 24
    I would like to compare the safety of the ES300 with the I30 during a frontal offset collison and during a rear end collision. The only thing I've been able to find is an evaluation of the 1997 Camry by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety:

http://www.hwysafety.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/96028.htm

The results are quite good but I wonder if the performance of the '97 Camry can be extended the 2001 ES300.

My two biggest concerns are the integrity of the footwell on the driver's side during a frontal offset collision and the performance of the headrest during a rear end collison. NHTSA has done a side impact test of the ES300, but I can't find any frontal impact testing.

Does anyone know of another site that has tested the ES300?

• kschlinkkschlink Member Posts: 6
    If I get my Cars direct price at my local Lexus dealership, I am buying an ES 300 this coming Saturday!
    1)I would appreciate it if anyone can tell me the benefit(I) of the Coach Edition. I know what it has, but am curious what's so special. A sub-question would be: What if you spill on a seat--will it be hard to clean because of the perforations?

2) I drive almost 30 miles each way everyday to work. I think I should get an extended warranty. Does Lexus itself offer one, or is it a private company that offers the warranties? What should I pay?

3) P.. Is there anything else they'll try to inflate the price with (besides mats, net and wheel lock?) I don't want any surprises!

Thanks in advance for any help! I've been really enjoying reading everyone's comments.
  • wscheewschee Member Posts: 18
    ved3,

You needed Japanese language pack to see the page, which I did not know until you mentioned the problem. The following is the article
    you can see from the link I posted.

Toyota launches another small Lexus
    [June 4, 2001]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Toyota has just unveiled its all-new Brevis, a medium-sized, front-engine rear-drive sedan. Targeted at people who live an active lifestyle, the Brevis does not follow the accepted luxury car traits of stateliness, tradition.

Toyota in stead refer to the Brevis as a "premium sedan"positioned below Toyota's luxury lineup including the Celsior and Crown. Measuring in at 4550mm x 1720mm x 1460mm, and just shorter than the Crown, the Brevis's merits lie in its size and price.

While Toyota's current small luxury sedan, the Progres, appeals to couples in their 50's and 60's, the Brevis will be aimed at those in the 30's and 40's.

The lineup consists of the Ai250 (front-drive 2.5 litre straight-six 5-speed auto), the Ai250Four (4WD, 2.5 litre, straight-six, 4-speed auto) and the Ai300 (rear-drive, 3.0 litre, straight-six, 5-speed auto).

Prices range from 3.37 million through to 3.77 million yen. Toyota has a monthly sales target of 2500 units, none of which are targeted for the overseas market, for the moment at least.

Story = Key Takaghi
    Translation = Peter Lyon
  • jji7363jji7363 Member Posts: 33
    What have folks found to be required in terms of maintaining the leather upholstery? I've not heard this discussed here but it's a big topic on the Buick postings. Tends to dry out unless treated periodically.
  • s852s852 Member Posts: 1,051
    I just realized that the current model is that came out for the 97 model year really was not totally redesigned then. It was heavily based on the model that come out in 1992 and was simply restyled in and out and had mechanical refinements.
    So, the current ES300 design is about 10 years old and the 2002 should finally be totally new and should be pretty dramatically improved.
    That said, buying a nicely-loaded new 2001 for about $30K or some very low, manufacturer-subsidized lease payment is still tempting.
    I hope that the 2001s are still available for a few weeks after the 2002s hit the dealers, so I can drive them both back to back and decide if the new design will be worth the price premium.
  • tgif888tgif888 Member Posts: 351
    Carsdirect.com is selling the ES300 coach edition $1200 below invoice , check it out.
    It depends on where. I checked in my area and it is about $50 over invoice. I checked an LA area zip code and there it seems available for about the price you quoted. To save $1100, I would be willing to go to LA to pick one up, but Carsdirect will not sell you a car from far outside your area.
    I not worrying about it since I am still not sure if an ES300 is what I'm going to get. I probably will not decide until I see and drive a 2002 and see the new pricing.
  • brnhstr2brnhstr2 Member Posts: 4
    I am looking at purchasing a new Maxima, ES, or maybe waiting for a 4Runner early next year. Any news on the ES? I heard it was moving upscale away from the IS and parting way for the new IS coupe and wagon. I love Lexus and never understood why there is not a Lexus version of the 4Runner since all the other models have something in common with other Toyotas. Anyway, any websites that give recent present and future updates on the new models?
  • rebelskrebelsk Member Posts: 65
    There is a spy photo in the July issue of popular mechanics although it is tough to tell the design.
  • lenscaplenscap Member Posts: 854
    There is almost no news on the new ES. My friend owns a Lexus dealership and owners were shown the car last October. All he said was the car is significantly different from today's car, and that particular emphasis was placed on making the interior much more upscale. Supposedly the base price will drop $1,500 down to $30,000, but with new, more expensive options (ML stereo, nav) a fully-loaded model could be slightly higher than a loaded 2001 (sticker).

A Lexus 4-Runner does not meet the needs of any Lexus target. You may want such a vehicle but it seems few others would.

All Lexuses are not based on other Toyotas. The LS, GS, SC and IS are their own platforms. They are all rear wheel drive and there are no RWD Toyotas (except the MR2 I think). The LX is of course based on the Land Cruiser and the RX a distant offshoot of the Camry (while the ES is based solely on the Camry).
  • texbeantexbean Member Posts: 38
    Greetings from Texas. Can one of you fine ES300 owners tell me if the rear seat folds down on this car? I know the Camry has a fold down rear seat, but I didn't know about the ES300. Considering one, but have to have the fold down.

Thanks.

Larry
  • rollomanrolloman Member Posts: 64
    How did you create the little Texas flag? I'm from Houston and I'm jealous....I want one too.

Thanks,
    Rolloman
  • mmcbride1mmcbride1 Member Posts: 861
    It's a Chilean flag, not a Texas one.
  • rollomanrolloman Member Posts: 64
    You'd think I'd know the difference. I'll just go crawl back up in my little hole now, y'all.
    Yes, indeed, it's a Chilean flag, but it's the closest I could come to the great flag of Texas.

Anyway, does the back seat fold down on the ES300???

Anyone???

Larry
  • rickc5rickc5 Member Posts: 378
    No folding rear seat. Just a small "pass-thru" that is accessible when the rear arm rest is down. I miss the folding seat that I had in my '96 Camry, but I still like the ES much better than the Camry.
    I would really appreciate any comments you might have about whether Coach edition is something I would want, such as 1) Are perforated seats a good thing? 2) What if I spill? ... and whether an extended warranty from Lexus or a private co. is worthwhile, etc. (See Msg # 927) I'm about to buy and want to make the best decision I can.
    for the info. Too bad - it's a nice feature to have in case you have to move something.

Larry
  • rebelskrebelsk Member Posts: 65
    This spy photo was in the July issue of Popular Mechanics.
  • tclemonstclemons Member Posts: 31
    This post is rather late after the discussion -- been out of town a couple of weeks. I agree with you regarding the service. To illustrate, about 3 weeks ago, I took my wife's 98 ES300 to the dealer for an oil change. Normally, I would not go to the dealer, but it is her car and she is (dare I say) anal about it being serviced by the dealer. The bill was $54.00!! I mentioned to the cashier that this seemed rather high and I pointed out that they did not give me the 10% "gold card" discount. She said she would talk to the service desk about the 10% and when she returned, she said she would print out a new bill. The new bill showed an amount due of $0.00. Gotta love that service department. The explanation was "we want the customer to be happy". Hmmmm, wonder if this will work when the 30K service is due?
    We still can't be sure about the 2002 ES.
    could that pic be of the new Camry? we can't
    validate it. Until I see the official pic from
    Lexus, I'm keeping an open mind. Although it
    does appear that Lexus will not provide the
    2002 ES with a more powerful engine. Very
    disappointing. But I am looking forward to
    seeing its all new more luxurious interior
    because it's reasonable to assume that it will
    be similar to the new LS430 in terms of providing
    some technological marvels of sophistication
    with amenities.

tclemons,
    most of us lexus owners are spoiled not only
    with our cars but also with the dealers
    services. although I'm confused. Your wife's
    car is a 98 yet it has less than 30K miles on
    it? and even though lexus' priority is to
    keep their customers happy, they're not
    pushovers. It's still a business. It's just
    that they conduct their business better than
    anybody else in the industry. Consumers are
    getting smarter and more economical. Lexus
    knows this so they use it to their advantage.
    So I think they will continue gradually to
    increase their market share. Other companies
    not willing to adapt to the changes will fade
    away. Consumers rule will apply!
    that's just my thought.
    take care everybody.
  • jwfslkjwfslk Member Posts: 9
    I bought my new '01 ES300 at a large metropolitan Boston dealership in January. This is the 3rd Lexus I've bought from them since '96. I financed 15K through a bank that my dealership pushed, not Lexus Financial Services. I paid off the note early and just received my 'cancelled' copy from the bank. I was shocked when I realized it wasn't my signature on the contract- someone at Lexus signed my name!! I compared the copy I received from the bank with the one I got at purchase. The dealership reduced my purchase price, and by the same amount added a 'vendor single interest insurance' policy-- my understanding is that the bank requires this as protection in case I don't pay (think PMI for your car). The total financed, rate, and other terms did not change. I've had various phone conversations with my salesman, as well as a face-to-face meeting. They're of the opinion that since I'm not out any money, I shouldn't care. Lexus corporate customer service was apologetic and was at least able to get the dealership's general manager to call me. He didn't have a satisfactory explanation of how it happened and also thought I was making a big deal out of nothing. I reminded him that forgery is a felony punishable by up to 20 years and asked if he was willing to take a long vacation (a close friend of mine is a local judge). When I told him I would be calling the Attorney General's office, he became extremely defensive and accused me of trying to shake him down. This mess started when I was just trying to get an explanation, but now I'm wondering what kind of a scam they're trying to cover-up. What I've learned from this is that the Lexus guys might wear better suits than the salesmen over at the shady used-car lot, but you really can't trust any of them.
    Since you have your copy and the bank's copy of the contract, it should be easy to prove. Just see an attorney and find out what you can do about it.
    Yesterday I bought a Coach Edition in Oyster Pearl, and it looks really nice and drives even better! I think I got a great price too, I paid $30,500 for it. Does anyone else find it inconvenient to plug a portable cell phone into the armrest storage container and talk on it?
  • john319john319 Member Posts: 37
    I would definitely take some legal actions against them for forgery. You can't lose with that evidence. It wouldn't happening to be Herb Chamber's Lexus of Norwood, would it? I had bad sales experience with them. Pushy people. I can't figure out they are the only JD Powers certified Lexus dealer in New England. I ended up with one from Lexus of Watertown.
  • tclemonstclemons Member Posts: 31
    My wife's 98 ES300 actually has only 22k mileage. We purchased it in Dec 99 (Lexus Executive's Car) when it had 11,500 miles. It was put in service in October 98. My wife is only 10 miles from work, so most of her trips are short duration. Most of the mileage we have put on the car came from trips to GA and MS (my mom and both inlaws passed away). Sometimes we take her car when we are going on short trips -- although in the northern VA area, everything seems long. I do this primarily because she rarely ever goes on the highway. Most of the "running around" we do is in my car, a 91 GEO Prism with 185k -- paid $800 4 years ago and I will drive it till it dies! Had to put a battery in last week -- the old one was 7 years old.
  • msangiemsangie Member Posts: 2
    My 2001 White ES300 (700 miles) already has two chips in the paint. In 28 years, we have never has any car chip so easily. I can actually flake some off where the small chip is! The paint doesn't look like it's very thick either; anyone else have any problems like this? I have a District Manager looking at it this week. Thanks for any info.
This discussion has been closed.